Type keyword(s) to search

S14.03: Summer Bite Bash

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I think they didn’t highlight it very well but that the pasta fest was supposed to be Italian to go with the other two being Moroccan and Mexican and the directions where stereotypical Italian (green white and red, a bottle of Chianti, breadsticks). I also think it was a requirement that they change up their dish that wasn’t highlighted because I don’t know why Jess didn’t just make her ratatouille and serve it with penne if they didn’t need it to be Italian and changed.

Did we ever see the end of the tortilla debate because at the end Manny served his slider on rolls instead of tortillas which I think was probably more successful than the tortillas would have been. 

I agree.  They shouldn't have called it "pasta fest" when it was clearly Italian.  Also, it was a requirement that they change their dish.  

I actually think Manny should've gotten dinged for using those rolls.  They were not Mexican.  

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I actually think Manny should've gotten dinged for using those rolls.  They were not Mexican.

Really. I don't know why he wouldn't use flour tortillas, which is what I believe is usually used for quesadillas, and that would have been different than the corn tortillas the other guy used.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, cherbitrary said:

Was it just me or did Bobby seem not so happy Tyler was there? Maybe he"s just mad at him for sticking them wifh Amy again. I'm always happy to see Tyler, though.

Missed a chunk of the show. Did the Pasta Party have to be Italian? Wondered why Rebecca felt she had to change her dish.

In her final words Rebecca said something about having competed against some of the best talent in the country. Was she talking about a different show?  Because these people...I really hope they aren't the best we have to offer.

"Was she talking about a different show?" 

The water in mouth just went all over my computer screen.  And I'm still laughing.

• Love 2

I am getting tired of them seemingly being lost when they have to change what they'll be making. Moroccan, really Adam you're Mr International & you had a hard time thinking of what to make.  Ahi...why is this a problem, like they don't use fish in their cooking at all? And folks coming from someone who is Sicilian, tofu was not the problem. My family has these theme parties where we do something different for the food part. About 15 years ago we had to make dishes replacing one item with another & tasting whether we could notice the difference & what it was. I made my mum's lasagna two ways. I replaced the ricotta with tofu. Easy peasy as you add eggs, a little more seasoning(garlic in our case), & you do not eliminate the cheese. Cheese belongs on everything :)  The other one I replaced the usual meat with Spam.  Again easy peasy. Not one person could tell the difference. And 3 of my brothers are meat eaters to the 1 millioneth degree.  I reluctantly gave them the recipes.

I, too watch every week to see who will be eliminated. Maybe Bobby's eyebrows will be the next eliminated....or the next FNS.

• Love 3

Rebekkah was obviously going home this week.  She was so lost in the weeds that her competition started to actually pity her.  Glad to see her gone.  

I think the problem with this season is that we're hearing the judges "judge" the contestants during the competition rather than to their faces at the end.  I liked when Bob and Susie would run them through the ringer during the last 15 minutes of the show, bringing up all their faults while we saw brief flashbacks.

It's funny that finding "the next food network star" and "culinary expert" is sponsored by Popeyes! LOL

• Love 6
On 6/25/2018 at 10:59 AM, dahling said:

Rebekah: "I thought I would be here until the end."

Me: "You're the only one who thought that, dear."

I literally said this aloud to myself... except is sounded like this, "girl, only you... only you!"

• Love 1

Every week I find myself so focused on Amy and her odd face making in the background. She is never happy and her face shows it.

I'm glad Rebekah went home. Honestly, I don't think I would watch a show with her as a host. She doesn't float my boat. Strange face, strange accent, strange show idea. 

I know Adam is all over Food Network already but I am all in. He reminds me of a version of Jeff Mauro I can watch for more than 30 minutes. I like Jeff and all, but sometimes he acts like a 13 year old... I live with one of those, I don't want to watch one of those cook. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, UniqueHandle said:

I know Adam is all over Food Network already but I am all in.

Adam's also on FX. He does a show called FX movie download. I was watching on last week and thought who is that guy and why do I know him.  Lo and behold it is Gertler. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, UniqueHandle said:

I know Adam is all over Food Network already but I am all in. He reminds me of a version of Jeff Mauro I can watch for more than 30 minutes. I like Jeff and all, but sometimes he acts like a 13 year old... I live with one of those, I don't want to watch one of those cook. 

Team Adam all the way, and I don't care that he's a "ringer" or he's already had his shot, lalalalalalala I can't hear you.  

Personal story warning: When Adam's season was on,  I had a medical emergency at 30 weeks pregnant, and wound up in the hospital for several days.  This was before iPads or even the hospital having WiFi, so there was nothing to do except watch TV. I watched Food Network that whole day the season premiered and watched them tease the premiere every commercial break for 10 hours straight and it was like the shining highlight of my day when it finally came on. I ended up being put on bedrest as a result of that medical episode and spent my entire summer in a bed or chair, waiting for this show to come on Sunday nights. I was invested in Adam. I mean, to a degree that doesn't even make sense and a normal person living a normal life in the outside world wouldn't understand. And then he lost to mushmouth. And I've carried that disappointment with me every damn season of this show since. So, my hook or by crook, I don't care that Adam is back. Yay, Adam, Go Adam. 

p.s. And my daughter was delivered healthy and full term and she turns 10 in August. :)

• Love 18

I like Adam too. I was disappointed Kelsey didn't win that season. I could tell Bobby liked her, as evidence of him Exec Producing, using his production company, to put on her shows on CC. As for Adam being an actor, look at all the actors FN and CC gives shows to. At least they're comfortable on camera.

• Love 2
On 6/25/2018 at 1:19 PM, dewelar said:
On 6/25/2018 at 1:12 PM, J-Man said:
On 6/25/2018 at 11:15 AM, dewelar said:

Anyway, glad Rebekah is gone, finally.

But not for long .... "Star Salvation" begins next week! (July 1.)

That doesn't count, because I don't watch it :) .

Unless she wins, perish the thought!

• Love 1

Rebekah's shtick was so over the top I was half expecting her to have a completely different accent upon elimination. 

Maybe Bostonian.  "Wal that was worth a short, where'd I leave ma cah.."

• Love 8
20 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I'm of two minds on that myself.  He already had the rolls from his first concept so perhaps they were OK with using them since he he was able to rework them into the new dish.  And a burger isn't exactly a traditional Mexican dish anyway so maybe they looked at it as a sort-of fusion?

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:19 PM, seacliffsal said:

The fact that Rebekka didn't even saute/cook her onions before putting them in the tomato sauce just really seems to indicate the low threshold of cooking experience/expertise that some of these contestants have as the producers are going for "character type" rather than food mastery.

I think you're exactly right. When this show began, most contestants were serious food professionals, and the judges talked a lot about having to prove your food authority. Then we started getting the "food bloggers," which basically means you like to eat and have an internet connection. And lots of "caterers." I realize that  caterer can be a legitimate food profession, but there are also folks like a cousin of mine who a few times a year cooks for a dinner party given by friends. She calls herself a caterer and has the business cards to prove it. I suspect that many of the "caterers" on this show are in that category. (Like Amy, who for the most part only talks about cooking for her family)

Now we have out first-ever "food novelist." (I still don't know what that means). In the first episode I thought she had some promise,  but since then her air of entitlement has  surfaced and I've found her increasingly annoying. Her vocal fry grates on me too.

Katie's southern accent doesn't bother me (I've heard worse on this show) but there are folks who have real issues with articulating and being understood. Which begs the question of what exactly is the selection process. Shouldn't being able to communicate be the basic requirement for a television host?

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 4:33 PM, smiley13 said:

And how did the team Harrison was on win??  He completely botched the team challenge by not leaving his team members time to do their part.  

I was shocked they won. I think they're trying hard to make Harrison happen. He's also self-entitled (as was Rebekkah, a lot of that this season), and I don't think he's all that good looking either.

I guess Adam rubs some people the wrong way, but he's still head and shoulder above anyone else as a TV host/presenter, And despite a misstep this week, his food had generally been very good. (Not that FNS is supposed to be a cooking competition show. Each season there's usually one accomplished chef who gets booted because they have zero presentation skills).

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, bluepiano said:

On 6/25/2018 at 7:33 PM, smiley13 said:

And how did the team Harrison was on win??  He completely botched the team challenge by not leaving his team members time to do their part.  

I was shocked they won. I think they're trying hard to make Harrison happen. He's also self-entitled (as was Rebekkah, a lot of that this season), and I don't think he's all that good looking either.

I was shocked too.  I was sure he was going to be blamed for bringing his team down and when it didn't happen I was dumbfounded.  I totally agree about him being self-entitled and not as good looking as all that either.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bluepiano said:

Adam rubs some people the wrong way, but he's still head and shoulder above anyone else as a TV host/presenter,

Because he’s done it already, several times. I cannot wrap my head around why he was invited back.

• Love 6
On 6/26/2018 at 5:46 AM, AngelKitty said:

Really. I don't know why he wouldn't use flour tortillas, which is what I believe is usually used for quesadillas, and that would have been different than the corn tortillas the other guy used.

It didn’t bother me. While most tortas are made with a firmer sandwich roll it’s still Mexican to have a sandwich not made on tortillas.

• Love 4

I don't remember a show before this season in which the camera has caught Giada looking bored.  In one shot, I thought she was falling asleep.  I can't get overly excited about these contestants, and judging them has to be Dullsville.  None of them seem to bring the energy that other contestants have in previous seasons.  The only eye openers, for me, are Giada's dresses.

• Love 1
(edited)

I used to really enjoy this, almost as much as Top Chef, but where are they finding these contestants ?  Seems like they are casting people coming out of a home improvement store after a grilling demo on a Char-broil. What is a food novelist ? Does she tell a story about Petey the Potato ? Isn't a story about an egg falling off the wall a NYTimes best seller already ?  I guess at this point I am rooting for Christian, I can see where he could be entertaining with a 30 minute  22 minute with commercials on Food Network.  I hope I catch a glimpse of Giada's purge can under the tasting desk one of these days.

Edited by Mahamid Frauded Me
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Then we started getting the "food bloggers," which basically means you like to eat and have an internet connection.

Oh my, that is hilarious...and so true!

• Love 3
On 6/25/2018 at 10:07 AM, Amarsir said:

Team challenges don't bother me because as a network "star" they do need the ability to work with others. Much moreso than on a straight cooking show. 

I agree.  The part that never makes sense to me are the "twists."  I highly doubt any of the other Network Stars are told , after they got the ingredients for their dish, "Your dish has to be Morrocan" 

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:35 AM, cooksdelight said:

Because he’s done it already, several times. I cannot wrap my head around why he was invited back.

Yes, true, he has the experience. But I can remember even in his first go-round on FNS he was already pretty polished. I believe he might've previously done some local television in Philadelphia. Aside from that, some people are just naturally comfortable on camera.

What's always amazed me about this show is how many contestants are so uncomfortable on camera, Do the producers not put potential contestants through some kind of "screen test?" I know they love the idea of someone who's initially awkward and camera shy growing in confidence over the course of the season. But so many of these people are obviously never going to be TV host material.

As for why Adam is back, my theory is so that they can use him to build up the eventual winner. It'll be, "wow, he/she is so good that they beat the old pro Adam Gertler". Or if he's not in the final, it'll be, "the competition was so tough this year Adam couldn't make it into the final." That's a theory, anyway. Because I can't imagine that he's going to win. That would really make the whole season seem like a farce. (more than this show is already).

Maybe Adam was promised some more FN appearances after this season of FNS. Or else he just really, really loves seeing himself on TV.

Edited by bluepiano

It is hard to get excited at FNS nowadays.  Last year was a bust too.  I don't understand why we have 2 candidates that have already been there.

I miss Bob and Susie.  They added something to the show--maybe a quiet elegance and seriousness.  I'm thinking the contestants definitely seemed more the definition of a true "cook" back then.

• Love 3
On 6/27/2018 at 10:18 AM, bluepiano said:

Katie's southern accent doesn't bother me (I've heard worse on this show) but there are folks who have real issues with articulating and being understood. Which begs the question of what exactly is the selection process. Shouldn't being able to communicate be the basic requirement for a television host?

Her accent bothers me a little bit, but it’s her attitude that I don’t like. Last week she was running around and bossing people around, and this week she was bossing people around too.

I do not see a Food Network Star in this group. These people are getting on my last nerve.

Manny annoyed me at the beginning, but he has calmed down since then.

Glad Rebekah’s gone. She was having a little bit of trouble communicating with people.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Simon47 said:

Her accent bothers me a little bit, but it’s her attitude that I don’t like. Last week she was running around and bossing people around, and this week she was bossing people around too.

Absolutely this. She just strikes me as an overentitled snot who was probably the over-the-top sweet but actually mean girl in her sorority. 

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Absolutely this. She just strikes me as an overentitled snot who was probably the over-the-top sweet but actually mean girl in her sorority. 

She was bossy to both Samone and Rebekah (this week) and they both got sent home due to their feelings. 

On 6/25/2018 at 12:44 PM, spiderpig said:

I have to agree this season is all-around horrible.  I'm watching as a time-filler until the new season of The Walking Dead in October. 

I know I’m just catching up, but...

Are you certain we aren’t already watching The Walking Dead? Because it sure feels like it.

• Love 4

Somehow, I don't see Adam winning this thing.  Too many people think of him as the "also ran."  It's like, "There's Adam again!"  He's been there, done that, and he's still at it.  I also feel that Adam thinks he has it in the bag.  I'd much rather see a new face with new ideas.  Adam definitely has the advantage, having been there and done that.  In my opinion, if he isn't head and shoulders better than anyone else, he should be.

I am liking Christian at this point.  He has a good personality, has done well with his presentations, and his food has been well received.  I think that he might give Adam a run for his money.

• Love 1