Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Miami City Qualifiers 2018.06.13

• Start Topic

(edited)

Sorry that I'm just setting this up almost three-quarters into the episode. It's been a helluva ride. The 49-year-old guy that lets people call him "Bootie"? Advanced. The "Moose Ninja"? Advanced, and Matt & Akbar wore his hat in celebration. Ryan Stratis cleared Mega Wall. Isaac Calderio is in the house (he runs next week). And still to come: Jessie Graf.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

I can't believe Drew missed on the big wall, but this season has seen some other stars crash and burn, too.  This looks like a fun course tonight, hard but not as painful as some other cities.

• Love 1

This week: ANW bravely forgets how Jessie bit the big one in Vegas last year. Next week: ANW bravely forgets that Geoff Brittens cleared the course three years ago, and he hit all six buzzers. Eh, he'll be back next year. I'm sure Matt & Akbar will bring it up then.

Speaking of our excitable hosts . . . how often did production had to stop filming to hose stains off those two? Quite a crazy night with lots of highs. Also, JJ Woods flaming out of a qualifying course for the second time in three years. Hurts to watch, especially how he made the finals of Nnija vs. Ninja as a member of Team Ronin, alongside Flip Rodriguez and Meagan Martin.

Nice job from Jessie. If she made the Mega Wall, I think at least one of the announcers would have died right then and there. The bit about her secret project was a bit annoying . . . but she's Jessie. So awesome.

• LOL 1

OK, Miami, did I see a cool off fan blowing clouds of very fine mist?  Not that I wouldn't expect it, but we saw the folks in Oklahoma City wearing winter coats and hats.  So I wonder of the returning stars, who chose who would compete where?  Locals are easy decisions (Texas- Oklahoma) but Alabama goes to Miami?  St. Louis or even north Texas are closer. 

The pivoting arms that were so difficult (?last) week, the 105 pound man who did so well tonight would still be hanging there trying to get the pivots to work.  

This week favored the lighter weight folks (my opinion).  With all the time spent hanging on their arms, lighter bodymass made for an easier competition. Longer also helped. 

I burst out laughing at the three legged dog (and an old grizzle muzzle three legged dog at that.)  That dog not only got to Miami, but he or she got more air time that some of the WWWA contestants who were pretty good.

I watched it after repeats of Battlebots, and, again, fast forward was my very, very good friend.

• Love 4

I admit, I was worried for both Drew and Jessie. They were getting so much buildups before their runs, I was sure at least one of them was going to flame out on something trivial. Especially Drew when he set his personal challenge to be fastest. (And then doing the 5th obstacle backwards on top of that). I admit I was glad to see both of them succeed in the end. 

This course did favour upper body/lighter contestants, as shown by 3 women making the Top 30; not that I mind. It was a good challenge, with some unexpected wipeout spots.

I do wonder if they'll adjust the big rings rules to have a no-legs qualifier. I was sure they would be arms only and when the first guy hooked his legs he'd be buzzed out, but no, that was allowed. 

7 hours ago, enoughcats said:

OK, Miami, did I see a cool off fan blowing clouds of very fine mist?  Not that I wouldn't expect it, but we saw the folks in Oklahoma City wearing winter coats and hats.  So I wonder of the returning stars, who chose who would compete where?  Locals are easy decisions (Texas- Oklahoma) but Alabama goes to Miami?  St. Louis or even north Texas are closer. 

The more successful ninjas probably submit their preferred cities and dates to production ahead of time so production can make sure each course has enough 'names' to make it interesting, and to make sure one course doesn't have too many names competing on it. The famous Ninjas also likely have contracts with the production company to show up at the filming of other courses; but that scheduling is easier to fit in than actual competition runs. (Jet lag is less of a factor when you're just a spectator for example). 

For the no-name ninjas, I assume it is a combination of how easily they can reach a course, and how their personal schedules work out, to arrange for time off their jobs or maybe they have a friend/family member they can crash at in the further away city. 

Remember, the Qualifier and City Finals are filmed back to back over a 3-4 night period. So when they say something about "SoAndSo made it up the Megawall last week.", SoAndSo already knows if they are going to Vegas or not, and probably actually went up the Megawall a month ago. Or they may not actually go up the Megawall until the course a month later, depending on what the filming schedule works out. That's the main reason the show brings the Named Ninjas to other courses as spectators; it lets them build their own timeline with the voiceovers. I'm sure if a no-name Ninja does really well on an early course, they'll pay (or otherwise make sure he shows up) at later courses just for the timeline.

Jessies’s splat was just one of those things and it happened during finals and since then she has faced the same obstacle during all star episode and beat it so if it is brought up again it will be during Vegas.    

I was actually curious why she was on Miami and not Los Angeles like she usually is but then it was brought up RL job concerns might have made Los Angeles impossible and Miami a better fit.  Plus I really liked the Miami course.

I didn’t see which of the five women made it.  I think at least three actually made top thirty which is a big deal and Graff made #10 which is huge so yes she does deserve Yhe excitement of hosts.  

She is as good as advertised 

• Love 3

I thought it was a great episode, but the back stories are bordering on exploitative.  I thought the clip with the mother and her children living in her car was really gratuitous and hope it doesn't set her up to get a series of CPS visits.  It was also unnecessary, because she was an amazing athlete and made it really far!  I'm glad she's going to the city finals.  

I missed seeing Rachel Goldstein's run - she was a favorite of mine from last year - but am looking forward to seeing her in the city finals, too.

So happy for Jessie G.  She is amazing.  I love how she spends her time analyzing the course so carefully.  Also, not to be shallow, but her outfit was awesome.  I wonder how she's going to top that for the finals.  

It seemed a little upper-body intensive for a qualifying course, but, overall, it was fun.  I was a little bit bummed for Drew, but he did put together a great run and didn't flame out early like JJ.  I hope he (JJ) isn't going to start psyching himself out.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

The bit about her secret project was a bit annoying . . . but she's Jessie. So awesome.

At least it's a change from all the tragic backstories.  Heh. 

2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I didn’t see which of the five women made it.  I think at least three actually made top thirty which is a big deal and Graff made #10 which is huge so yes she does deserve Yhe excitement of hosts.  

She is as good as advertised 

She really, really is.  I was nervous even though I was sort of spoiled, but it was so fun to watch.  I couldn't quite tell which way the editing was going with her, but when the show didn't give Drew the POM Wonderful Run of the Night, I was sure she'd make it.  Then they didn't give it out at all!  Go figure.  She's really is so awesome.

Color me so surprised that Drew didn't make it up the Mega Wall.  I had him on my list of people who would make it.  Each week I've been trying to guess who will try and who will make it - my record is not that great.  Nice job by Ryan Stratis, though!  Must be nice for these guys to have something new to try for.  So sad for JJ Woods, ugh.  He was looking at it so intently before he ran, too.  And I love that things started off with a buzzer!  Wasn't someone in one of the other threads this season just mentioning wanting that? 

As noted, it looks like the Pom sponsorship wasn't renewed; though you think someone would have picked up the Wonderful run of the night sponsorship. 

Though with the shooting survivor run happening, he would have gotten the Wonderful Run of the night unless Jessie made it up the Megawall. 

• Love 1

I thought we had POM Wonderful runs in the previous 2 episodes.  Clearly I'm not paying attention.  With a different sponsor on the Ninja vs Ninja (some car company?), I'm surprised too that another company hasn't jumped in.

I didn't mind getting spoiled, sometimes I just want to know, you know?  But then, I also go through the NBC sneak peek photo albums to see what I can decipher  ahead of time...

6 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I was actually curious why she was on Miami and not Los Angeles like she usually is but then it was brought up RL job concerns might have made Los Angeles impossible and Miami a better fit.

She said on Instagram that it was the only location that fit in with her schedule, she had to fly back from Europe in order to do it.

(edited)

This show stunned me by having Bootie run first, which means he will crash and burn, then he actually made it to the buzzer. WTH show, you are changing things up? Great trick, laugh was on us.

Flip has a car commercial! Holy cow. At least his commercial was shown here. Funny, I can't remember the car maker, but the scene where Flip jumps off of a high wall and into the driver's seat via the sun roof was pretty cool. Flip is a favorite of mine so the commercial did not irk, like it would if someone else were starring in it.

No way in h.e.l.l. would I let anyone film me and my kids sleeping in our vehicle much less air it on national tv. I hope that woman was compensated well for that. I guess it's not as bad as a tv crew filming me dying of cancer though.

The show doesn't do the POM Wonderful Run of the Night any more, but they did show a POM connection last night, either a commercial or something where the people were drinking POM. So I guess it is still a sponsor, just not the bigly money one. I was actually surprised to see POM anything given the run of the night is gone.

It was said Jesse has been filming a movie, and she herself said because of her schedule she hadn't been able to train for ANW like she usually does. Still, she rocks. I wish every little girl would make Jessie their role model instead of some reality tv fakety fake person. Parents, pay attention.

Isaac is back next week. He looked pretty good in the fast clip they showed of him in the crowd. Better than he used to anyway. He's always been a favorite of mine, so I'll root for him. I tend to like climbers who don't live by conventional societal rules.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
(edited)

And I love that things started off with a buzzer!  Wasn't someone in one of the other threads this season just mentioning wanting that? 

Yes!  I've been begging for the switch up for a couple of years now.  So happy!  (it's sort of like in the old days of the Bachelor - the first time they had the winner get out of the limo first.  We were so thrown off by it!)

I was rooting on the teacher from MSD and he did great...but a little uncomfortable with his colleague screaming "go, boy! that's it, boy!" from the sidelines to a young black man.  (*unless i heard incorrectly)

Jessie is as cool as ice.  Amazing and kudos to Bootie.  I also get that Ninja is a young man/woman's game but getting annoyed with the hosts basically talking it up how a number of competitors should basically be dead.  

Edited by VartanFan
  • Love 4
(edited)

I could go the rest of my life without seeing Akbar booty shake.

Glad Stratus made it up the 10k wall.  He's had a tough go since he injured his shoulder.  Although I am over his yell at the end of the run...totally over.

Color me impressed that three women made it to the finals legit.

Drew is a great Ninja but he seems to always be the bridesmaid, never the bride (coming so close to the 10k).

I still maintain that Geoff Brittan was the FIRST ANW.  He made it up the rope first and was ANW for a few minutes before Issac bested him.  So I get aggrivated when they say Issac was first, and then don't mention Geoff at all.  I guess I just like Geoff better.

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Destiny74 said:

I still maintain that Geoff Brittan was the FIRST ANW.

He WAS the first.  He didn't win the money, which absolutely sucks, but he was the first ANW.  As far as I'm concerned, anyone that makes it up Stage 4 of Mt Midoriama  is an ANW.

1 hour ago, Destiny74 said:

I guess I just like Geoff better.

I'm not up on all the gossip, but IIRC I think a lot of people like Geoff better than Isaac, particularly people that know Isaac. 

Did I see someone post that Geoff was coming back this season? Because I thought he had retired from competition.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Did I see someone post that Geoff was coming back this season? Because I thought he had retired from competition.

I'm not sure if the "this season" was a part of his comeback announcement, but coming back was announced.

I remember when Geoff made it to the top before anyone else.  And I felt as if he were robbed with the other dude then went up a few seconds faster.  

The following year, IIRC, Geoff went out early in slipping off the first part of the qualifier, 

• Love 2

I'm not sure I would be all about seeing one of my high school teachers topless, even if it was a guy. I know teachers are real people, but when I was a kid, they weren't. They never had a RL or were anywhere other than in the classroom. And certainly never shirtless flexing and Tarzan yelling. And I guess while I'm at it, wearing little bootie shorts either.

I admire Drew for wearing a t-shirt and long pants to compete. He seems to do pretty well without having to strip down or make a big show about how much he works out. He just gets to the buzzer faster than anyone else, which speaks for itself.

Now git off my lawn.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I still maintain that Geoff Brittan was the FIRST ANW.  He made it up the rope first and was ANW for a few minutes before Issac bested him.  So I get aggrivated when they say Issac was first, and then don't mention Geoff at all.  I guess I just like Geoff better.

If they can keep calling the Catanzaro "Mighty Kacy" years after being a first, they should DEFINITELY give Geoff more credit for his first.  Heck, I still think of Roger Bannister as breaking the 4-minute mile, although others have beat his time since, just because he was first.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh, and I will literally throw something at my tv if I ever see the Mermaid Ninja again.  What an annoying woman.

I have no problem with kids who want to dye their hair crazy colors.  It is fine for others, not for me.  But there is no way that little baby girl told her mom she wanted pink hair.  I just have an issue with people trying to make their kids look edgy and cool.  Let them decide.  It irritates me.  It doesn't help that the mermaid is a "Social Media Influencer" and is using her kids to get views.  

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I posted an article in the Media thread, he has announced he’s coming back next season.

So so so bummed about JJ. I adore him. I started bawling when his little friend ran to hug him after his (shortened) run. At least he’s got a shot in the Ninja v Ninja final. 

I always hold my breath throughout Drew’s run. I wish he had been able to make it up the Mega Wall. I really hope he goes far this year. 

Jessie killed it as usual. She and the other Jesse (LaBreck) are my fave females. 

Someone was definitely cutting onions in here when the teacher from MSD ran. Just seeing everyone so excited and happy just got to me. Glad he had a respectable run and loved that JJ was training him. 

Excited that this is moving to Monday so I get my fix earlier in the week :) 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, srpturtle80 said:

Excited that this is moving to Monday so I get my fix earlier in the week :) 

I hate this going against The Bachelorette. What does that say about me that I am addicted to both shows? Talk about different strokes!

I wish Geoff and Isaac had gone up that rope side by side so there was one clear winner and only one First American Ninja. I know Geoff was technically first, but he went up the rope first. Isaac gets so much hate for beating his time. I hope Geoff does well when he comes back. That would be sweet for him to finish and take home the $ next year. No pressure there!

• Love 1
On 6/14/2018 at 7:38 PM, saber5055 said:

I know teachers are real people, but when I was a kid, they weren't. They never had a RL or were anywhere other than in the classroom. 

My second-grade teacher worked part-time at the toy store and that was the coolest. thing. ever. ..to a seven-year-old, at least.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:38 PM, saber5055 said:

I admire Drew for wearing a t-shirt and long pants to compete. He seems to do pretty well without having to strip down or make a big show about how much he works out. He just gets to the buzzer faster than anyone else, which speaks for itself.

Now git off my lawn.

My pet peeve is when they take off their shirts in the middle of the course for no apparent reason. Run shirtless or don't, just stop stripping in the middle.

On 6/14/2018 at 8:38 PM, Destiny74 said:

Oh, and I will literally throw something at my tv if I ever see the Mermaid Ninja again.  What an annoying woman.

I have no problem with kids who want to dye their hair crazy colors.  It is fine for others, not for me.  But there is no way that little baby girl told her mom she wanted pink hair.  I just have an issue with people trying to make their kids look edgy and cool.  Let them decide.  It irritates me.  It doesn't help that the mermaid is a "Social Media Influencer" and is using her kids to get views.  

I don't know; she's two, apparently. I can believe a toddler with a mermaid mom would ask for pink hair. I have a facebook friend who dyes her hair crazy colors on a regular basis, and her two-year-old daughter has recently started asking for colored hair like mommy's. She uses washable hair chalk on her, though, not dye. She's adorable with rainbow hair, but it comes out at the next bath.

I did google non-toxic hair dye for kids just out of curiosity and found this article that includes the video of mermaid ninja doing her daughter's hair. It says she did some research to make sure it was safe, though I'm not sure I'd risk any kind of hair dye on a squirmy toddler just out of fear of it getting in their eyes or something. Personally, I'd stick with the chalk until they're a bit older. https://www.today.com/parents/it-safe-kids-dye-their-hair-wild-colors-t113693

Though I do have to shake my head at the fact that "Social Media Influencer" is apparently an actual job now.

Why does Akbar have to repeat everything two and three times in a row? Gah.

• Love 3
On 6/14/2018 at 9:29 AM, JenMD said:

but when the show didn't give Drew the POM Wonderful Run of the Night, I was sure she'd make it.  Then they didn't give it out at all!  Go figure

Pom Wonderful is no longer a sponsor so luckily no more of those. 

On 6/14/2018 at 4:21 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

He is the spokesperson for some ninja gym franchise and moved his family to the West Coast. He plans to return next season.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:41 PM, healthnut said:
On 6/14/2018 at 10:29 AM, JenMD said:

but when the show didn't give Drew the POM Wonderful Run of the Night, I was sure she'd make it.  Then they didn't give it out at all!  Go figure

Pom Wonderful is no longer a sponsor so luckily no more of those. 

Speed read "Pom Wonderful" often enough and it becomes the far more interesting Porn Wonderful.

• Love 2

I was so glad to see Stratis succeed. Not only is he one of the OG ninjas but he totally won me over with his AMA on Reddit about 5 years ago. Also add me to those with a girl crush on Jessie Graff. I’ve loved her ever since the chicken suit and I want to be her when I grow up ( even though I’m much older). I love to see little girls dress like her for Halloween.

• Love 1