Type keyword(s) to search

Iris West

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I'm equally afraid that when she confronts Barry she'll be made to say something like " I always knew! We're best friends since..."

This is not to tempt the gods, but to placate the Hacky Gods of Scriptwriting. If we release our fears, maybe they won't come to pass?

But about Our Iris? Yeah, she needs to rain hurt on the men in her life for a while. Their actions need to have a serious negative reinforcement.

• Love 4

I think it's becoming crystal clear why Iris' career path has been so completely stunted - Joe keeps smothering any opportunities she has for growth - and of lot of that he's doing behind her back. She doesn't even know her path's being directed the wrong way.

I hope she continues investigating - she needs to create her own wall like Barry to track her story and also track the people she suspects are lying to her.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have a feeling the only thing that will happen is some crappy writing where Iris finds out (she doesn't figure it out, she's given zero agency and instead is told) and then she's angry for half an episode, but then by the end of it something happens to "prove" her dad right and everyone gets a pass.

That better NOT be what happens. Which means that's what's gonna happen.

*kicks something*

I have the same feeling. She'll overhear them speaking or see Joe and Eddie in the distance chatting with The Flash and she'll notice then realise the hood down and OMG IT'S BARRY! Her anger makes her determined to prove herself by investigating something very dangerous then Barry if not all three of them have to rescue poor, foolish Iris from her silly attempt at independent action.

Edited by patchwork

More than kicking their asses, I want Iris' world to shatter in a way that fundamentally changes her. She's too trusting, it doesn't make sense for a journalist, so she kind of has to go through this painful, awful process.

But I'm beyond disgusted with all the dudes doing the lying and decision making and blocking. It's getting so ridiculous, I have a hard time buying why Iris (or any girl) would want to be romantically involved with any of them. I hope Mama West just ran off on Joe.

• Love 2

We should start a campaign or something: #justtellirisalready . (But I doubt it'll help much since they're all done with writing for the season, and I'm 80% sure she finds out by the very end -- and it looks like all the episodes until then are going to be torturous if they continue like this.)

• Love 2

There better be some huge payoff to all the secret keeping. Not only is it annoying to watch everyone lie to her, but I think that the writers trying to keep Iris in the dark is a large contributor to the problems with her characterization. If the writers made her too smart, proactive, or good at her job, she would have figured this crap out long ago. Apparently, we can't have that! It's sad, because Candice Patton often gives off a nice air of competence and assertiveness. I wish the writers would let her be that.

• Love 5

There better be some huge payoff to all the secret keeping. Not only is it annoying to watch everyone lie to her, but I think that the writers trying to keep Iris in the dark is a large contributor to the problems with her characterization. If the writers made her too smart, proactive, or good at her job, she would have figured this crap out long ago. Apparently, we can't have that! It's sad, because Candice Patton often gives off a nice air of competence and assertiveness. I wish the writers would let her be that.

It pains me to say, but yeah, they are writing her as rather dim. We're probably supposed to think she is too trusting--why would she think Eddie, Barry and Joe would flat out lie to her constantly? I myself have no idea why they do it either. But the lies are so obviously idiotic, they're starting to reflect badly on Iris' character.

On the one hand I'm hopeful that this is all going to lead to Iris getting her universe shattered and becoming a more intuitive, less trusting person. On the other hand, I'm not so sure how much I trust the writers. Iris' storyline is so torturously slow burn compared to everything else, it just seems like they're tip-toeing around to avoid writing more for her. 

• Love 1
(edited)

To be fair to Iris if you look at it from her point of view, that would mean that she has to face the fact that all the people in her life are purposely lying to her for no reason whatsoever. I mean yea, the lies are stupid and mostly obvious, but there's no reason for them.  That being said, I don't think she's necessarily buying any of these lies, she's still processing the information. 

The problem is that her father managed to raise her to be naïve as shit. She has to overcome that mindset.

If I didn't read the comics, I'd assume that Iris was going to become a supervillain. I don't think I've ever seen a character treated this bad by the good guys.

I also agree that when the reveal happens that better be a multiple show arc before she starts talking to them. I don't want no, I'm mad.  Oh nevermind you're a hero after all, you're awesome k byeeeee.

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 1
If I didn't read the comics, I'd assume that Iris was going to become a supervillain.

LOL. I almost wish she would. She'd have more reason to than many others, say Slade over on Arrow. 

I also agree that when the reveal happens that better be a multiple show arc before she starts talking to them. I don't want no, I'm mad.  Oh nevermind you're a hero after all, you're awesome k byeeeee.

But if not Barry, Joe, or Eddie who is Iris going to have scenes with? She has no supporting cast, so it's pretty much guaranteed that she has to forgive one, if not all of them, within one to two episodes. The exception is if it happens in the season final.

Now that Eddie is in on the lying, it could be that when he first proposes, Iris says yes, and she only retracts her answer when the truth is revealed.

• Love 1

They've actually managed to do a worse disservice to Iris then they did to Laurel. The other characters really didn't talk to Laurel besides Oliver and her father doesn't know or pretends not to know who he is. But on this show, they all talk to Iris, her father knows and is the ring leader in the Don't Tell Iris club. 

She's not an infant, why are they are coddling her? If everyone else can know the secret why can't she? How would knowing who Barry is endanger her more. Villains could easily find out she talks to the Flash, that's why Picture News hired her. Knowing who Barry is, changes nothing. ahhhh this just pissed me off so much. It makes me not enjoy the show. 

• Love 2

Was it just me..or did Iris have a flash (pun not intended) of recognition and confusion about the Flash being Barry? He rushed into that party, and angrily asked about Henry Allen in his regular voice...and the camera cut to Iris making a WTF face. 

• Love 2
(edited)

LOL. I almost wish she would. She'd have more reason to than many others, say Slade over on Arrow. 

But if not Barry, Joe, or Eddie who is Iris going to have scenes with? She has no supporting cast, so it's pretty much guaranteed that she has to forgive one, if not all of them, within one to two episodes. The exception is if it happens in the season final.

Now that Eddie is in on the lying, it could be that when he first proposes, Iris says yes, and she only retracts her answer when the truth is revealed.

There's ways around this IF they write for her. She can still have scenes with Joe, Barry/Flash and Eddie, but that doesn't mean they have to be scenes of acceptance and forgiveness. It could be them trying to explain their viewpoint in lying, apologizing again for lying and/or trying to get her to forgive them. These scenes could be incorporated into Iris finally starting to do her investigative reporting thing that would tie back to cases the CCPD and Flash are working on. She could pretend to forgive and actually use them to further her career, to get insight into investigations. There are a ton of ways the writers could handle this, for several episodes, the problem is they don't want to. Flash/Barry is the star of this show. So no one, unless they're a villian, can be angry with him for more than an episode.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

How to improve the character of Iris West in four easy steps:

1. Make her an actual reporter. There have been a ton of weird things going on in Central City in the last year. There have been three major explosions in or near the city (Particle Accelerator, Plastique, and Firestorm), numerous weird characters popping up in addition to the Flash (Firestorm again, the supervillians,), numerous super-saves by Flash, the disappearances of Stang and now Bridge, major advances in technology, etc. Someone should be exploring that. Why not Iris? As far as we know, no one has really begun looking into any of this stuff besides Bridge. Even without the benefit of knowing that Harrison Wells is evil, it seems like people would want to be looking into how the heck STAR Labs is going to pay for all the damage it wrought and how it is they'd been operating. Also, Iris could have a real Mulder-Scully, Nick-Nora type thing going with Flash in trying to get the bottom of all this, or some of this. Heck, at a minimum Iris should be pushing for the same sort of "Who are you and what can you do?" kind of interview that Lois Lane had with Superman in the Chris Reeve/Margot Kidder movie.

2. Let her in on the Secret. Enough said.

3. Give her friends, more scenes with Joe and a backstory. Right now, she only exists to be Barry's love interest, Joe's object to protect, and Eddie's live-in girlfriend. More backstory like the regular Tuesday dinners to show the father-daughter bond would be appreciated, as would some explanation of what exactly happened to Mama West. I could use seeing Linda and Iris being friends at some point as well. 

4. Have more scenes of her in outfits like the red dress from "Tricksters." Because DAMN. (sorry for being shallow not sorry).

• Love 2

There's ways around this IF they write for her. She can still have scenes with Joe, Barry/Flash and Eddie, but that doesn't mean they have to be scenes of acceptance and forgiveness. It could be them trying to explain their viewpoint in lying, apologizing again for lying and/or trying to get her to forgive them. These scenes could be incorporated into Iris finally starting to do her investigative reporting thing that would tie back to cases the CCPD and Flash are working on. She could pretend to forgive and actually use them to further her career, to get insight into investigations. There are a ton of ways the writers could handle this, for several episodes, the problem is they don't want to. Flash/Barry is the star of this show. So no one, unless they're a villian, can be angry with him for more than an episode.

I agree there. I would've really liked it if Iris actually long ago distanced herself from Barry and Joe, while maintaining the relationship to find info. For a little while there I thought she would after 1.14. But it doesn't seem like the writers are very interested in Iris' investigative life as they've done everything to stump it at every chance of growth. 

• Love 2
(edited)

How to improve the character of Iris West in four easy steps:

1. Make her an actual reporter. There have been a ton of weird things going on in Central City in the last year. There have been three major explosions in or near the city (Particle Accelerator, Plastique, and Firestorm), numerous weird characters popping up in addition to the Flash (Firestorm again, the supervillians,), numerous super-saves by Flash, the disappearances of Stang and now Bridge, major advances in technology, etc. Someone should be exploring that. Why not Iris? As far as we know, no one has really begun looking into any of this stuff besides Bridge. Even without the benefit of knowing that Harrison Wells is evil, it seems like people would want to be looking into how the heck STAR Labs is going to pay for all the damage it wrought and how it is they'd been operating. Also, Iris could have a real Mulder-Scully, Nick-Nora type thing going with Flash in trying to get the bottom of all this, or some of this. Heck, at a minimum Iris should be pushing for the same sort of "Who are you and what can you do?" kind of interview that Lois Lane had with Superman in the Chris Reeve/Margot Kidder movie.

2. Let her in on the Secret. Enough said.

3. Give her friends, more scenes with Joe and a backstory. Right now, she only exists to be Barry's love interest, Joe's object to protect, and Eddie's live-in girlfriend. More backstory like the regular Tuesday dinners to show the father-daughter bond would be appreciated, as would some explanation of what exactly happened to Mama West. I could use seeing Linda and Iris being friends at some point as well. 

4. Have more scenes of her in outfits like the red dress from "Tricksters." Because DAMN. (sorry for being shallow not sorry).

I've said this before - but a HUGE reason why Iris' story has been kinda deflated is that much of her role (from the comics) has been usurped by Team Flash. I get why the writers did that - they wanted to copy Arrow since Team Arrow was such a successful formula, but it did two characters a disservice: Laurel and Iris - both characters that have HUGE comic legacies.

Iris and Barry or Iris and the Flash should work together a lot like Lois and Clark - in fact, in their comic, they worked more closely together in a partnership BEFORE they ever even wrote that kind of partnership between Lois and Clark.

The fact that the writers have taken that away from Iris for Team Flash (even if I like them) makes me beyond angry. I've already stated why I think Team Flash messed up Barry Allen (he's a physicist - there is NO reason why he would ask a medical doctor and an engineer how fast he'd need to run to run up the side of a building (Harrison wasn't there at the time)). Team Flash renders Barry stupid and has sucked away a lot of Iris' storyline potential, leaving her as a love interest and an impotent reporter.

The show CAN fix this, but they have to WANT to fix this. I really like your suggestions - I think seeing them laid out and knowing how much better Iris is portrayed in the comics made me see redder than Iris' dress.

LMBO! Yes ma'am Mrs. Patton.

I'm so glad she tweeted that at the Flash Writers. I swear we need to tweet this thread to them so they can see how frustrated we are.

We need an #IrisWestDeservesBetter twitter tag. I'm so sick of having to campaign for characters I like not to fall prey to the "-isms".

Edited by phoenics
  • Love 2

I think this journalism career was something the writers pulled out of their asses at the last minute. Cisco is not a journalist but has done more investigating and is far more curious than Iris is. Her character traits don't match her profession and she was more curious about The Flash when she wrote the blog than she is now as the official Flash reporter. And I think they've succeeded in making her even blander than she was in the past. 

(edited)
Even Candace's mom is fed up.

https://twitter.com/...071051057389568

Omg priceless, can we get her in the writers' room please, lol.

AnywayI Love how Candice and Grant's family members are so involved in the show. Grant's dad and brother seem to be big fans of Candice/Iris, they are regular visitors on her instagram lol.

We need an #IrisWestDeservesBetter twitter tag. I'm so sick of having to campaign for characters I like not to fall prey to the "-isms".

I thought that was already a thing on twitter?

Edited by Conell
  • Love 1

I think this journalism career was something the writers pulled out of their asses at the last minute. Cisco is not a journalist but has done more investigating and is far more curious than Iris is. Her character traits don't match her profession and she was more curious about The Flash when she wrote the blog than she is now as the official Flash reporter. And I think they've succeeded in making her even blander than she was in the past. 

She was fairly curious in the early episodes. She ditched her "friends" to sight Flash for herself and she used to collect articles and sightings on Flash and other metahumans. But that ended prematurely after 1.08. They hinted at it again in 1.14, but inexplicably dropped it.

Nowadays she does seem rather disinterested. I'd think she'd Google Lightening Psychosis, or do some digging of her own on Mason (the girls on PLL would've lied their way into his apartment/car). She's not even interested in metahumans anymore. But she isn't really a journalist right now, just someone hired to write about Flash, so I wouldn't say there's dissonance between her character traits and her current job. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The fundraiser was unrelated to The Flash so we are to assume that she was there for work as a journalist. 

But even as the Flash reporter, she should have taken pictures when he was with the Tricksters but she did nothing of the sort. 

Edited by Xander

The fundraiser was unrelated to The Flash so we are to assume that she was there for work as a journalist. 

But even as the Flash reporter, she should have taken pictures when he was with the Tricksters but she did nothing of the sort. 

Well, hopefully there will be a line next episode like "Since Mason's went AWOL, you've been stepping up, Ms. West. Covering the hostage situation at the Governor's Fundraiser last minute was brilliant" from Iris' Chief. We won't get it, but here's to wishfully thinking.

• Love 1

In Iris's defense at that point, Iris was poisoned/getting over being poisoned, I can see why she didn't bother with the picture, didn't recognize Barry's voice, etc.  Now if on next week's episode, that story doesn't show up in the paper, then it's problematic.

• Love 1

I think this journalism career was something the writers pulled out of their asses at the last minute. Cisco is not a journalist but has done more investigating and is far more curious than Iris is. Her character traits don't match her profession and she was more curious about The Flash when she wrote the blog than she is now as the official Flash reporter.

Isn't she a journalist in the comics? That's the sense I got. Mind you, I never even realized that Flash had a girlfriend from the Flash comics I read. I figure her profession is some sort of hold over from when making a woman a journalist was the handy way of involving a love interest in the action. So probably something the writers feel saddled with more than interested in.

• Love 1

I think this journalism career was something the writers pulled out of their asses at the last minute.

There definitely did not seem to be a good plan for Iris' character development. [/understatement]

What I would have liked to have seen is seeing Iris have an epiphany moment about becoming a journalist, e.g., wanting to help Barry find the truth about his mother's death and free his father, and/or finding about her mother (which is currently a big empty plot point).  Perhaps we could have seen this moment in a flashback where Barry and Iris agree to help each other with these issues. And, along the way, see Barry excel in science, pointing him toward the CSI path, while Iris had the people and investigatory skills, leading to a journalism career.

Well, this way they have the potential for one heck of a conversation when she does find out.  Just imagine it...

Iris - You're the Flash?  I'm so glad you trusted me enough to be the first person you'd tell.

Barry - Actually, the STAR labs team knows

Iris - Fair enough, they were monitoring you for months.  You couldn't really hide it from them.

Barry - Also, my two dads know.

Iris - OK, I guess I can understand spilling the beans to your father figures first.

Barry - Also Arrow and his crew.

Iris - Fine, that must be part of the superhero code.

Barry - Captain Cold too, but in my defense he blackmailed Cisco.

Iris - Totally understandable.

Barry - Oh yeah, Girder too.  I wanted to rub his face in his defeat.

Iris - You know, I'm really trying not to get offended here...

Barry - I also told Plastique and General Eiling found out when I took my mask off for no good reason.

Iris - Good god, is there anyone besides me who DIDN'T know?  At least you didn't tell Eddie before me.

Barry - Hmm, I think I'm going to run back in time and unmask a lot earlier.  Otherwise Iris will kill me for being such an idiot.

• Love 5

Isn't she a journalist in the comics? That's the sense I got. Mind you, I never even realized that Flash had a girlfriend from the Flash comics I read. I figure her profession is some sort of hold over from when making a woman a journalist was the handy way of involving a love interest in the action. So probably something the writers feel saddled with more than interested in.

But in the original drafts these writers had her studying criminology. They made her a journalist just to be lazy.

But in the original drafts these writers had her studying criminology. They made her a journalist just to be lazy.

I think they did this because canon - but I agree it was not the smartest. I much prefer they kept her in criminology - I think they said she wanted to be a criminal profiler?

That would have been awesome. I has a sad thinking about how well that would have gone. She was studying to be a criminal profiler (a PhD one!).

Missed opportunity on the part of the writers. That would have even given her something awesome to go after Wells with - plus made her way more intuitive too about people.

But CP says in an upcoming episode that Iris was going to start coming into her own in terms of reporting at the end of this season - I hope that's true. Maybe Barry's betrayal (and everyone else's) will drive that. I could totally see her becoming far less trusting and wanting to verify everything EVERYONE says because of how long she'd been fooled (and made a fool of).

And based on a recent quote by AK, I don't think the show will have Iris take this lying down. I think it's going to have a terrible impact.

I'm hoping the flashback ep to when Barry was in his coma sheds light on the issue.

You have no idea how excited I am for this episode! Well, maybe - I asked for this exact thing like 8 pages back, lol!

• Love 1

We didn't get much of Iris tonight but what we did see I enjoyed.

I'm glad that she confronted Eddie about his distance from her.

I'm even more thrilled that she let Barry and Eddie know that she is not a shrinking violet that needs to be protected from the darkness in the world. I was so happy when she pretty much gave Eddie an ultimatum. Tell her the truth or its over. She's not stupid. She knows that his distance and lies isn't about a gruesome case he's working.

Also I loved the fact that she wasn't influenced by Barry's BS excuse for Eddie. She listened to what he had to say, but ultimately stuck to her own thoughts on the matter. I hope we continue to see this Iris.

• Love 5

... She's not stupid. She knows that his distance and lies isn't about a gruesome case he's working.

Also I loved the fact that she wasn't influenced by Barry's BS excuse for Eddie. She listened to what he had to say, but ultimately stuck to her own thoughts on the matter. I hope we continue to see this Iris.

I liked that because it's not like Eddie being a cop is some new development; she's knows he's hiding something.

• Love 1

We didn't get much of Iris tonight but what we did see I enjoyed.

I'm glad that she confronted Eddie about his distance from her.

I'm even more thrilled that she let Barry and Eddie know that she is not a shrinking violet that needs to be protected from the darkness in the world. I was so happy when she pretty much gave Eddie an ultimatum. Tell her the truth or its over. She's not stupid. She knows that his distance and lies isn't about a gruesome case he's working.

I really liked this too - especially because her anger at Eddie just foreshadows how angry she's going to be with Barry and Joe. And now yet another villain knows that Flash is Barry?

At least the writers had Eddie add in that quip about how "everyone but Iris" knows - I laughed, but it was an angry laugh.

I also think the show is headed toward a HUGE moment where all of this lying on the part of Joe and Barry (and marginally Eddie) blows up in their faces.

Remember Reverse Flash's threat against Joe that if he didn't stop investigating Wells and Barry's mom's murder, he would go after Iris? And we know that Wells has a camera in Barry's loft (he had footage of Barry being struck by lightning), which means he probably already knows that Barry, Joe, Eddie and now Caitlin and Cisco are all investigating him and are on to him.

I think he's going to target Iris, who will be a sitting duck because all of these people have been lying to her to "protect" her. It's laughable given that everyone else knows now. I really, really hope that Iris disowns all of them.

• Love 3

And we know that Wells has a camera in Barry's loft (he had footage of Barry being struck by lightning), which means he probably already knows that Barry, Joe, Eddie and now Caitlin and Cisco are all investigating him and are on to him.I think he's going to target Iris, who will be a sitting duck because all of these people have been lying to her to "protect" her. It's laughable given that everyone else knows now. I really, really hope that Iris disowns all of them.

Good point about the camera being in Barry's loft. I'd completely forgot about that. I think you might be on to something. Wells will likely be two steps ahead of Barry, Joe and the others because of the camera and Iris will pay the price because she was not warned about how dangerous Wells is.

I really cannot fathom how or why Barry and Joe think not telling Iris about what's out there will keep her safe. It's ridiculous. Joe should know more than anyone that knowledge is power.

• Love 2

Let's see what happened with Iris that pissed me off this time.

- The secret thing. That's always a good place to start.

- The fact that Joe thinks that he owns his daughter until such time as she gets married.

- The fact that this secret keeping actually affects Iris's status as best friend on the show since she can't bloody well be his best friend if she doesn't know what's going on. Seriously writers, see Barry's relationship with Felicity this episode for a hint on how Barry and Iris should be interacting.

- Eddie deciding that he and Iris are showing up to dinner without consulting Iris.

-Barry using Joe's treatment of her when she was a kid as something to justify Eddie's behavior.

-it being confirmed that Iris actually believed that crap that Eddie told her two weeks ago.

On the plus side I did breath a sigh of relief. I legit thought that she was going to apologize to Eddie at the end. But that scene did show promise for the future things to come from this foolishness.

• Love 2

TELL IRIS!

Is there a hashtag for telling Iris or a petition? 

This is getting ridiculous. There are other women that know Barry's the Flash, Caitlin, Felicity and someone probably told FakeCanary. Why is it only Iris that can't know. I'm glad Eddie is at least asking why, that's more than her supposed family. I get he's not telling her because it's not his secret to tell. I wish he would tell her though.

• Love 2

Iris may be the only female lead (possibly character) on the CW that has things she will simply not accept in a romantic relationship. I loved the ultimatum. She wants a relationship built on honesty and respect and will not settle for less. It was refreshing to see a young lady with standards on this network.

• Love 3

- The fact that this secret keeping actually affects Iris's status as best friend on the show since she can't bloody well be his best friend if she doesn't know what's going on. Seriously writers, see Barry's relationship with Felicity this episode for a hint on how Barry and Iris should be interacting.

This part really, really bothered me. Iris is supposedly Barry's best friend and the love of his life (according to him and GG). Yet, he's not treating her that way - he's actually being really disrespectful to her.

I hope that the little glimpse of how angry Iris is at Eddie because she knows he's lying to her gives Barry some insight into how badly this is going to be for him when she finds out just how deep the lie goes. He's simultaneously 1) preventing her from being the best friend to him that she can because she's in the dark so much and 2) proving that his vow of love is kinda meaningless because he doesn't trust her enough with the truth like he seems to trust EVERYONE else in Central City.

I think the fact that the writers acknowledged that EVERYONE but Iris knows means that it is REALLY going to hurt and anger Iris that he kept this from her - supposedly the woman he loves and his best friend.

If this blows over in an episode or 2 I will be SO angry. If this doesn't result in Iris becoming a dog with a bone reporter because she no longer takes people at her word and (for her own peace of mind and sanity) goes far deeper to uncover the facts/truth in order to write her stories.

That would be character development I could be excited about.

If this results in more backgrounding of Iris' character, the writers will be setting off a major #IrisWestDeservesBetter campaign.

• Love 4

Not every CW character is Elena Gilbert. The situation is different to 2 years ago, there are lots of awesome female characters on this network.

I didn't say the women weren't awesome.. I watch arrow, supernatural, tvd, the originals, jtv, reign, and izombie. izombie is the only one of those with a main female character that doesn't take a lot of crap from the men in her life, and that show just started.

I agree Iris needs to be told already.  It is so far beyond ridiculous at this point.  However, I did not like her ultimatum to Eddie.  He flat out told her the night before if he could tell her he would.  It's not his secret to tell.*    And her comment that people in love told each other everything really bugged me.  Most couples don't share everything.  I hope when the shit hits the fan that she is at least able to see that Eddie was caught between a rock and a hard place and can forgive him easier.  Joe and Barry though should be made to jump through flaming hoops backwards and blindfolded repeatedly before she even thinks about forgiving them.

*For the record, I adore Felicity but I was mad she told Ray Barry's secret because it wasn't hers to tell. 

Edited by Impish Dragon
I agree Iris needs to be told already.  It is so far beyond ridiculous at this point.  However, I did not like her ultimatum to Eddie.  He flat out told her the night before if he could tell her he would.  It's not his secret to tell.*    And her comment that people in love told each other everything really bugged me.  Most couples don't share everything.

What Iris wants to know is what it is that's making her boyfriend so distant and awkward around her. It's not that he's not allowed secrets, but this is an issue that's come between them and yet she's not allowed any information about it. For all she knows he is cheating on her. If her significant other can't be open to her about something that's clearly effecting her then leaving him makes sense. 

And in this instance Iris' intuition is right. Eddie has horribly violated her trust with the Mason lie, and his guilt has earned him the punishment he deserves. 

Edited by driedfruit
  • Love 6

O on the off chance I'm right, I'm hypothesizing that Eddie being not as cool with the lies is ultimately going to lead to him getting fridged and/or meta humanized (meta-ed?) to give Iris some rage to play with down the line. While it doesn't play well onscreen, Barry lying to her I actually get on paper. He started off wanting to tell her until her dad (and essentially his) convinced him otherwise. It's a point I am hoping Iris addresses specifically in one of the inevitable confrontation scenes.

If the writing wasn't as misogynistic, Iris would have been the FIRST person Barry told he's the Flash. It would be a natural reaction and would make the show better, imho.

Yea, why bother giving them a backstory where he's her best friend when he clearly doesn't see her as such?   I still don't get why he never defends her to Joe.

As a matter of fact I don't get why Barry and Eddie allow Joe to dictate their relationships with Iris. I get that he's her father but there has to be limits.

I think the fact that the writers acknowledged that EVERYONE but Iris knows means that it is REALLY going to hurt and anger Iris that he kept this from her

Sadly, I think it's just a meta joke that they like doing.  A wink to the twitter world to let that particular audience know that they're listening.

If this blows over in an episode or 2 I will be SO angry.

If it's not a season finale reveal then it probably will. Either Barry or Joe will get sick enough where Iris pretty much forgets her anger and forgives them. The character's just not stone cold enough to carry a good grudge.

As for the Eddie thing, I think she'll almost definitely feel more betrayed by Barry and Joe. Eddie's a boyfriend, but, those two are family, for them to be keeping something of this magnitude from her will almost definitely hurt more imo.

• Love 2

What Iris wants to know is what it is that's making her boyfriend so distant and awkward around her. It's not that he's not allowed secrets, but this is an issue that's come between them and yet she's not allowed any information about it. For all she knows he is cheating on her. If her significant other can't be open to her about something that's clearly effecting her then leaving him makes sense. 

I've been trying to figure out how to respond to this without it seeming like I think Iris is wrong to want answers from Eddie.  The biggest problem I have is in how she presented her ultimatum.    She begins by telling Eddie she talked with Barry who gave her logical reasons why Eddie was having issues connecting with her.  Then turns around and says it doesn't matter because people in love don't keep secrets.  This to me makes Iris look immature and unsympathetic.

I would have liked her to let him know that she understands he feels he can't share his problem with her.  But she also understands that whatever he's keeping to himself is affecting her and them.  So if he wants them to be together he needs to figure out how to deal with it (tell her or whatever), or she's out.

I do realize that asking Iris to in effect compromise in her relationship seems wrong given how Joe, Barry, and to a lesser degree Eddie have handled this whole thing.  But Iris doesn't know that her father and sort of brother have been misogynistic a-holes about telling her.  But having Iris come across as more mature and a bit more understanding with Eddie would have shown even more how capable she is of dealing with situations and how wrong they are for not telling her. 

Sadly this is really a writing fail.  Not surprising as this whole season they have been wasting the potential that is Iris/CP.

Now all that said, I do firmly believe Eddie needs to man up and admit that he has been lying, beg her forgiveness and the chance to re-earn her trust.  Then do as others have suggested and throw Joe and Barry under the bus by saying they are the reason he's keeping secrets.

Eddie has horribly violated her trust with the Mason lie, and his guilt has earned him the punishment he deserves.

Oh, and I agree that what Eddie is feeling now is punishment for his lie about Mason.  Why he went along with that I will never know.  I wish they had showed Joe and Barry convincing him, because Eddie isn't comfortable with the lies.

• Love 1

I suppose for me it comes down to Iris has been dating Eddie for over a year and she's been a cop's daughter all her life, she's used to there being things that they can't or wont talk about and in this case her instincts are telling her that this isn't a cop thing.

And they're right. 

Joe, Barry and now Eddie undermine Iris at every turn, I'm actually quite proud of her for drawing a line in the sand and refusing to budge on this. She's very new to the job so she doesn't trust her journalistic instincts but she's confident enough in herself to know a boyfriend who is keeping something from her which is so big that it's affecting their relationship and refuses to talk about it isn't something she has to put up with and she tells him exactly that.

Incidentally all this makes Barry look like an even bigger douchebag. He and Iris might be endgame but I'll need him to put in some serious effort rebuilding their friendship before anything happens on that front.    

• Love 7

.    She begins by telling Eddie she talked with Barry who gave her logical reasons why Eddie was having issues connecting with her.  Then turns around and says it doesn't matter because people in love don't keep secrets.  This to me makes Iris look immature and unsympathetic.

If the only thing we saw was that talk, I'd be inclined to agree with you.  However when you add additional factors, like Iris having to deal with that stuff with her father and her recently awoken from a coma "best friend" it becomes easy to see why she doesn't want to deal with such stuff from her boyfriend

• Love 3