Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Thanks

Barry/Felicity, Ray/ Caitlin scenes YES!.

Its good to see some positive vibes for Ray, the cast and crew seem to be really stocked to see him visit. Grant and Emily's (Barry/Felicity) chemistry, never ceases to amaze me, its like they up their game each time they have get to work together. True growth. Felicity really does become and feel different when she is on the Flash, in a good way, testament of the good place that the Flash universe is currently in. Heavy environment In terms of characters, relationships, plots, overall writing, etc. Imo.

Edited by Conell

From the Forbes article:

Well, CW’s The Flash premiered on television and became perhaps the best superhero television show ever made.

It makes me wonder how many shows the author has seen.  I like The Flash a lot, but even if you don't count animated series, or Buffy or self-parody (because Batman has its own cult following), there's a least room for debate.  And DC has made it pretty clear they're ignoring the Arrow/Flashverse in the movies, except to the degree they don't--possibly because they don't want to be constrained like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was.

• Love 2

Grant's background reaction shots are always great. lol

Felicity should know better than to take Barry to Jitters for a private chat. Everyone they know, including Oliver's baby mama, seems to live there in their off hours.

I mean, just compare him with Slade, he doesn't project anything near to his physical presence. Such a dud. Why did they cast this guy? 

Overall, didn't really like this promo, feels kinda forced. Also, Heatwave and Captain Cold were completely unneeded.

For me the spin-off = Sara. No Sara, no spin-off. So, this wouldn't work as a teaser for that (especially because, AFAIK, they're now shooting an actual teaser, with new characters and everything).

No, Robbie Amell still hasn't been confirmed for the spin-off (thankfully).

Arrow's version of Ra's sucks. I'm not at all surprised to learn that upon meeting him for the first time and having him showing off how badass he is, Sara laughed in his face.

Eh - I thought he had great presence in that scene where he beat Oliver and tossed him off a cliff... although Ollie didn't seem to be as in command of the sword as I thought he'd be. He looked really unprepared... so maybe you're right.

I enjoyed the promo - it was just fluff.

• Love 1

I mean, just compare him with Slade, he doesn't project anything near to his physical presence. Such a dud. Why did they cast this guy? 

Sara probably thought that too, hence the laughing. She just came from dealing with a mad scientist and a super powered mad man. Ra's was just a guy in fancy robes. 

No, Robbie Amell still hasn't been confirmed for the spin-off (thankfully).

How are they going to have Firestorm without Raymond?  Although I'd totally be cool with Stein solo being Firestorm.

• Love 1
How are they going to have Firestorm without Raymond?

There was another Firestorm in the comics. Maybe they'll just replace Robbie with him if he didn't want to sign up or they've decided to keep him on Flash or whatever. Although I'd prefer it to be Stein, because why should all superheroes be dudes in their 20s or 30s? At least add some variety.

If you look closely at the article you can see that Joe West makes Chief of Police.

Which paragraph? I keep looking for it and can't seem to find it.

ETA: Nevermind - found it. The screenshot they had and the image from the video are different. Found it in the video version.

Edited by phoenics

Another Candice interview,

Grant Gustin getting an award:

Newcomer Gustin, whose previous TV credits include roles in “Glee” and “90210,” is perhaps best known for his starring role as Barry Allen in “The Flash.”...

Gustin will be presented with the Breakthrough Performance Award.

... The 41st Saturn Awards will be held on June 25 at the Castaway Starlight Ballroom in Burbank.

Clip from tomorrow's episode:

• Love 3
(edited)

Interview with Candice Patton.

Ha! Shots fired.

From the article:

What does the confrontation look like between Iris and Barry?

The thing about Iris is she will give Barry the opportunity to come clean. For the first time, we’re going to see a side of Iris that we’ve never seen—seeing her angry and unleashing her emotions toward Barry, her father and everyone who has been keeping this huge secret from her. It’s a new side to Iris. She’s finally getting a chance to say, “This is not cool and I’m really hurt and angry.” There’s a lot of hurt and anger in Iris in episode 121.

Oooooh SNAP! It's on like donkey kong!

Good for Grant! That's really awesome.

Edited by phoenics

The Flash was just mentioned on The Big Bang Theory. Sheldon wanted to know if he should start watching because if he does he's in it did the long hall even if it declines in quality. He's wary because Smallville almost destroyed him. Hahaha

• Love 4

Interview with the Visual Effects Supervisor, Armen Kevorkian:

What do we have to look forward to with Robbie Amell's Firestorm returning next week?

What was fun about creating him, and also challenging at the same time, is obviously you look at the comic book references because you want to stay in the same flavor of what has been established. But you have to create it for a moving picture, and having a guy whose head is on fire and hands are on fire, you're at the borderline of "this could look cheesy." There have been other characters in movies where people have been on fire — The Human Torch and things like that — so there are those challenges of what they've established in movies that you kind of want to steer away from because your character is different, but you kind of want to stay on the par of the quality that has been established. Itt  was challenging to make sure we did him justice, because he was a favorite character of the fans and you didn't want to screw it up.

Jesse L. Martin interview: Nothing specific, but he gives spoiler-ish teases about the finale.

How hilarious is it to act in scenes where you have to pretend that there’s an enormous angry gorilla acting opposite you?

MARTIN:  If I thought about it too much, it would make me laugh. But the truth of the matter is, when you’re doing it, it’s just like when you’re a little kid. You start imagining what it is and what the danger might be, and you go for it. That is fun and absolutely liberating. There were times when we did have an actor in place who was wearing a suit, and we could get an idea of what the scale of this creature is. But in most cases, you’re literally acting to air, so you just have to ramp your imagination up as far as it goes and go for it, and it turns out to be a lot of fun. It’s not so hilarious, if you don’t think about it.

Another Martin interview: some spoilers

The pace of this season has been staggering — there have already been so many plot twists and reveals, I can’t imagine how you’ll top yourselves in the finale.

I have to say, it’s one of the luckiest jobs I’ve had. I mean, luck is a funny word because I did work very hard, but just being in the situation where I actually get to work with these people every single day and the stuff we get to do because of the genre, it’s awesome. It’s like an actor’s playground.

Interview with CW president Mark Pedowitz:

The Flash has brought you a huge audience, but now the pressure is on to get that audience engaged with your other shows. Does that change your strategy going forward as you look at which shows to pick up?

No, we think we have a legitimate strategy that goes forward. Every strategy evolves based on circumstances, but you cannot operate a strategy off of fear. So what we do not want to do is let fear dictate what the strategy is. We know what we want to do as a team. The owners agree. The studios bought into it. And it's proven to have worked in a lot of different ways. Like everything else, a little luck doesn't hurt. And we're thrilled that Flash gave us huge commercial potential, being the highest rated show ever on The CW.

Candice Patton interview:

MTV: Earlier this week I was talking to Katrina Law about her character on “Arrow,” and how her character is LGBT — but it’s just a facet of her character, not the driving force behind her. And “Flash” is very similar, because you have this incredibly diverse cast that just happens to be diverse. It’s just parts of the whole. Have you had any interactions with younger actors — or kids of color — who were inspired by you taking on this role?

Patton: It’s so weird because when I was thinking about pilot season before I went in for “The Flash,” I just remember saying to myself, “I would love to get a role that changes the landscape of being an African American woman in television and film.”

And lo and behold I got “Flash,” playing a traditionally white character, and I didn’t realize what would come with that. It’s been incredibly difficult, but at the same time I’ve been in a position to give a lot of young actors that look like me hope that more characters are going to be written like Iris West and Joe West. ...

Reviews/recaps of "Grodd Lives"

Big Shiny Robot:

... Iris hasn't been my favorite character on this series. Most of the time, she's the weakest part of any episode. But the writers/showrunners did some things right by her tonight.

First, she's the one who makes the connection. Too often the characters on a superhero series who don't know the secret identity but are an intimate part of the superhero's life come across as being blind, and often stupid. How could Iris be an investigative reporter, and not make the connection using that final piece of evidence? Happily, she did. ...

Geek Smash:

... I thought Candice Patton was particularly great here too, as well as throughout the whole episode, with Iris learning each additional piece of information they’ve been keeping from her.

I’d also like to point out how happy I am now that everything’s out in the open with Iris, Joe, Barry and everyone. There are a lot of viewers that aren’t big fans of Iris, but I’ve always felt Iris’ shortcomings came in the writing of the character. Like Laurel (Katie Cassidy) on “Arrow,” I hope we see Iris become a much more interesting character now that she’s in on what’s really going on. ...

The final fight wasn’t all I was hoping it would be. There were some pretty awesome beats, but overall I felt it under-delivered a bit. ...

AV Club:

... Again, there’s no real point to any of this other than to delay the Flash/Reverse-Flash showdown for the final two episodes, but who cares? We wanted the Flash to fight a giant psychic gorilla and we finally got it. The necessary effects work may have limited the scope of the battle a bit, but it was still well-executed and featured several memorable images. More importantly, though, the decks have finally been cleared of all the Iris baggage (or most of it anyway; there’s still the minor matter of the love triangle between Barry, Iris, and the absent Eddie). With that unpleasantness out of the way, the stage is set for an epic showdown over the season’s final two episodes, and it ought to be a blast. ...

Observer online:

... Then, when Joe, Cisco, and Barry go to investigate, they bring a banana. They actually bring a banana. This is amazing. Then, later, when Grodd is literally forcing Joe to point a gun at his head through mind control, Joe pulls out that very same banana. “Is this what you want? Here. Have it,” he says. What an awful thing to assume, honestly, that a telepathic gorilla just made you hold a gun to your own head just to get that one specific banana. That’s wrong. That’s ape-ist. ...

Den of Geek:

...Man of Steel touched on it, refreshingly making Lois Lane not a total moron. But I don't think the consequences of literally an entire cast of characters lying to one other character has ever really come crashing down like this.

Think about it like this: the audience takes it for granted that we're in on everything, and we know things that many characters don't, right? But on The Flash, a couple of points aside, pretty much every single regular character has been in on everything, too...and has been for awhile. Everybody except Iris. ...

Also, could Barry confronting Iris about her feelings for him have possibly come at a more inappropriate moment? Her boyfriend and her Dad are at the mercy of a superpowered maniac genius from the future and a giant freakin' gorilla with brain powers (respectively), and Barry pulls the "feelings" card? C'mon, show...you're better than this. That was some Smallville nonsense right there.

Okay, anyway, enough about all that. Let's talk about Grodd. ...

High Def Digest:

... It feels like those writers are straight-up acknowledging how badly they screwed up this part of the show. By the end of the episode, all the characters admit that they were wrong, Iris gets fully caught up to speed with Barry’s story, and she even proves herself useful to the team.

I hope this means that the character has turned a corner. I really do. ...

Gorilla Grodd is one of The Flash’s most significant foes in the comic books. The TV show has teased him, and even shown a couple brief glimpses of him over the course of the season, but the concept is very tricky to pull off in live action without looking incredibly cheesy. Now that we finally get a full-blown look at him, I’m relieved to say that the series pulls it off pretty well. ...

Geek Dad:

... And hey, how about Barry? 100% wrong, admits he’s wrong, and then tries to turn it around to creep on Iris. Flipping really?

“I can’t talk about this now, the man I live with – the man I love is in danger.” (paraphrasing)
“Yeah, but after that?””

What the actual fudge, Flash writers? How is there any way you didn’t think that came off as stalkery?

Corrina: Am I supposed to like and bond to Barry? Because, at this point, he’s almost up to Oliver Queen levels of being a jerk.

I wouldn't say Oliver Queen levels, but the point still stands.

Entertainment Weekly:

... Eddie, who isn’t looking his best already, looks broken in that moment. This entire conversation is very meta as Eddie’s time on the show has, for the most part, also been spectacularly uneventful. ...

Comic Book Resources:

... However, while this is another trip back to the trope well, these soap opera sequences actually play a key role in resolving the conflict between Grodd and The Flash.

It would be difficult for the show to pull off Gorilla City and have people buy into it, but doing a “Planet of the Apes” Caesar riff worked for Grodd’s live-action origin. And having Cisco call out the similarity between Grodd’s story and the modern “Apes” films absolved the episode of being a simple carbon copy. Tying Grodd’s origins to Harrison Wells seamlessly made the gorilla a part of the shows’ central narrative and provided him with a motivation for attacking Team Flash. ...

Comics Alliance:

... I’d be lying if there’s not a primal, giddy nerd thrill when one sees a run-fast super-guy with a modified Burger King crown running full-speed toward a psychic murder gorilla. The unabashed goofiness of the whole thing is something to behold. The fact that Grodd sees it coming and… totally dodges it is icing on the cake. ...

JoBlo:

... I give THE FLASH major props for even attempting the Grodd storyline. And Grodd’s scenes with Barry, especially when he held him up by the throat and caught his fist mid-supersonic punch, were badass. Grodd reminds me a little of JAWS, where the threat of the great white shark permeated throughout the entire film, but the images of the shark were limited. So was the case with Grodd, whose screen time was only a few minutes, but whose presence was felt throughout this episode (and the whole season). ...

IGN:

... So all told, Grodd had a really strong debut. It goes without saying that the writers could do a lot more with the character. If any villain other than Reverse-Flash or the Rogues can form the backbone of an entire season, it’s Grodd. But for now, this was enough. Ideally we’ll see Grodd become more eloquent and take on a larger role down the road.

... It was pretty entertaining to see Tom Cavanagh embrace his evil side for a change. There’s no need for Wells to keep up any pretenses at this point, and he’s morphing into a gloating villain before our eyes. That said, what makes his character so compelling is the sense that he’s developed genuine bonds with Barry, Caitlin and Cisco despite having manipulated them from the start. ...

io9:

... Seriously. All it took was this episode and not only am I an Iris fan, I can actually see why Barry would fall for her. For almost the entirety of the first season, her character has simply had nothing to do other than be lied to and sit on the sidleines; “Grodd Lives” finally gives her a chance to reveal her strength of character, her maturity, and really, her overall awesomeness. Welcome to the SuperSTARS, Iris. It’s long overdue, but better late than never. ...