Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E19: Diana & Ashley R. LIVE CHAT

• Start Topic

Don’t these people weigh their food? I can’t imagine eating food without weighing it I’ve been doing it so long. And I’ve got FOUR food scales! (They’re also handy for baking purposes!)

• Love 4

Ashley is the one who ‘s family was so supportive in her original episode that even the cat was on a protein diet. She measured out her portions on a scale. So she knows what to do. And once they got to Houston they had their tires stolen at their apartment.

• Love 5
(edited)

Has she copped to "slipping a little" or "cheating a little bit" yet? Or is it still complete denial? 

She has to come up with other options for weight loss? Honey. There are no other options. Eat less. Done. 

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 5
(edited)
6 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Loved seeing that cute smile on Ashley's face while she was exercising. While trying to out exercise a bad eating habit won't work, I think it's still important if for nothing else than it really does elevate one's mood and they're doing something other than eating or thinking about eating.

I have realized the past few weeks, which have been very stressful at work (seriously, I am going to start screaming one day and it will not end well), that if I take even just a few laps around the parking lot at lunch, in the afternoon I am much calmer (though not as calm as I'd like). The past couple days I've gone to the park near where I work to read in the gazebo by the lake. Just watching the water helps.

They also have an animal enclosure and there are baby deer in there. Last week I saw one curled up in a sunbeam taking a nap. Just like my dog used to. :)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 13
(edited)

Does the fast weight loss cause hair loss? *edited to say I now see her hair was thinning in the flashbacks before she lost the weight. But have noticed thinning hair on others on this show.

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Loved seeing that cute smile on Ashley's face while she was exercising. While trying to out exercise a bad eating habit won't work, I think it's still important if for nothing else than it really does elevate one's mood and they're doing something other than eating or thinking about eating.

I don't usually quote myself but with Ashley's recent weight gain I have to take back my assumption that exercise will keep them from thinking about food or eating. Ha ha, I almost said in the previous post that you can't eat and exercise at the same time. Boy was I wrong!

• Love 1
(edited)
Just now, ams1001 said:

I have realized the past few weeks, which have been very stressful at work (seriously, I am going to start screaming one day and it will not end well), that if I take a even just a few laps around the parking lot at lunch, in the afternoon I am much calmer (though not as calm as I'd like). The past couple days I've gone to the park near where I work to read in the gazebo by the lake. Just watching the water helps.

They also have an animal enclosure and there are baby deer in there. Last week I saw one curled up in a sunbeam taking a nap. Just like my dog used to. :)

@AMS1001, don't let work kill you.  If you keel over at work, people will step over/around you and keep it moving.  It's not worth it!

Edited by CouchTater
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Does the fast weight loss cause hair loss?

It does for me and not losing anywhere near as fast as WLS patients!  Vitamins haven’t helped either but hey it will all grow back in.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I have realized the past few weeks, which have been very stressful at work (seriously, I am going to start screaming one day and it will not end well), that if I take a even just a few laps around the parking lot at lunch, in the afternoon I am much calmer (though not as calm as I'd like). The past couple days I've gone to the park near where I work to read in the gazebo by the lake. Just watching the water helps.

OMG baby deer curled up in the sun! That made me feel warm all over just reading that. Good for you! A shitty workplace situation is definitely one of the most soul sucking experiences a person can have.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Effing Autocorrect!
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Wanda said:

Ashley is the one who ‘s family was so supportive in her original episode that even the cat was on a protein diet. She measured out her portions on a scale. So she knows what to do. And once they got to Houston they had their tires stolen at their apartment.

Oh wow. I don’t remember the tire thing at all. That sucks.

Just now, CouchTater said:

AMS, don't let work kill you.  If you keel over at work, people will step over/around you and keep it moving.  It's not worth it!

No lie. I worked at a law firm where 3 lawyers died one summer. They just hired new ones.

I worked at another place where a really sweet woman complained about a headache, but said she still had some work to do, and pushed thru to complete it. She died later that evening from an aneurysm. You know what the organization did?  They hired a replacement. 

None of this stuff is worth it.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, Smoothcoat said:

Don’t these people weigh their food? I can’t imagine eating food without weighing it I’ve been doing it so long. And I’ve got FOUR food scales! (They’re also handy for baking purposes!)

One of the golden rules of bariatric surgery is portion control.  I'm 3.5 years post op and I weigh and measure all my food.  I have several pairs of food scales and would risk going to Wal-mart at 3 am in the morning if the batteries died.  It doesn't matter how much I want to eat or how hungry I am, I eat my portions according to the guidelines I was given.  I get 3 ounces of protein, 2 ounces of veggies, and 1 ounce of fruit.  Measuring portions is the easiest part of the bariatric diet.  

• Love 8

I'm not the "touchy-feely type, but I'm so proud of Diana!!!!!   Considering what she looked like when she started and has fought through the pain without complaint, she has nothing to be ashamed about.

Wish I could give her a hug!  (did I say that????)

• Love 15
(edited)
6 minutes ago, simba barracuda said:

Diana is so kick ass

I think it's the former soldier in her. Amazing that she got kicked out of the military because of her weight. I think she was 170 pounds at the time and everything seemed to go downhill for her after that.

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Typo.
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

If you lack sufficient nutrients it can. But also hair loss is common after any surgery.  Is it the anesthesia? I dont know. Maybe just body shock reaction to surgery.

• Love 3

It's very clear, watching these two ladies, who is taking responsibility for their actions, and who is making excuses for their lack of action. Also, Ashley's husband reminds me of a limpet.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Suzywriter said:

Was Diana the one that hired a handsome helper from Craigslist? Or was that someone else?

We need spreadsheets! Who hired the Craigslist hunk, who sees Dr Lola, who thinks they can lose weight on their own, who has a trainer...

Maybe after I retire I can devote time to this hobby!

• Love 12

I am really impressed by Diana, but Ashley... seriously, you know better than the doctor who has treated dozens of patients like you?

A little exercise is very good for you, but at 15,000 steps a day or equivalent I don't see any difference in my weight (though I am not overweight, I am some 10-15 pounds over where I would like to be and where I remember being in college). 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Metabolic changes good or bad can affect hair loss/growth.  Not sure if Diana had other underlying health conditions (polycystic ovary syndrome or thyroid issues) but those could be reasons for hair loss.  Haven't seen her family - could be hereditary too.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, DEG9 said:

It's very clear, watching these two ladies, who is taking responsibility for their actions, and who is making excuses for their lack of action. Also, Ashley's husband reminds me of a limpet.

Now I have to look up 'limpet'.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, CouchTater said:

AMS, don't let work kill you.  If you keel over at work, people will step over/around you and keep it moving.  It's not worth it!

I know. My coworkers and my boss are great,, but sometimes they drive me nuts. I feel like we spend more time discussing the list of things to do than actually doing the things. And there are a lot of things to do right now so it's frustrating when I get interrupted every five minutes to discuss the most recent thing my boss sent me. And everybody's. always. talking. Gah! But there are changes coming soon and we might move a little further from the high-traffic area we currently sit near so hopefully things will quiet down a little soon.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Suzywriter said:

Was Diana the one that hired a handsome helper from Craigslist? Or was that someone else?

That was Janice this season.