Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Kimmy Meets an Old Friend!

The living backpack freaking out with Kimmy stuffing rocks into it was so messed up and hilarious. And I liked the living backpack in general. Especially Titus's reactions to her talking to it. 

I thought the half season in general was a mixed bag. Some of it was hilarious, and I think the stuff with sexism and the entitlement of men was decent enough, and was certainly timely for the recent Me Too stuff going on in culture. And I like where the Kimmy story is going, with her growing up, but still holding her Kimmy-ness. 

On the other hand, a lot of the jokes, for a show that loves being topical, seemed super outdated, and some seemed like more mean spirited than funny, even when the targets didnt really call for it. I also thought some of the jokes and story lines needed to get people to act out of character just to make a point or for the yucks, and thats never a good thing. 

I guess we need to see how the rest of the season goes. 

• Love 2
On 6/1/2018 at 11:37 AM, tennisgurl said:

The living backpack freaking out with Kimmy stuffing rocks into it was so messed up and hilarious. And I liked the living backpack in general. Especially Titus's reactions to her talking to it. 

I didn't really care for the backpack,it kind of got on my nerves. But the fucked up scene where Kimmy was getting ready to murder it totally saved that plotline. Although Titus saying he was only hearing half of Kimmy's conversation was also pretty funny.

• Love 6

I was sort of hoping that Xan thought she was pregnant as a result of eating Sabor de Soledad cheese puffs.  (30 Rock reference.)

The backpack was weird but Kimmy plotted the demise of "jan" was worth hacking up the lung I have due to my cold. 

Shallow end: Jane's short hair totally works for her. 

So far this hasn't been my favourite season but I'm hoping the second half will make up for it and we get a happy ending. 

• Love 3
(edited)

This was probably the best of the first 6 episodes, which isn't saying much. For every one joke that lands there are about 10 that don't this season. And I still think they've made a mistake turning Lillian into a main character. She worked much better as someone with a weird comment now and then. That whole "I know you know..." was a poor imitation of the Friends' version and went on forever.

Edited by Nellise
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, Nellise said:

That whole "I know you know..." was a poor imitation of the Friends' version and went on forever.

I know Friends was more than 20 years ago, but still. It was such a bad exchange here.

8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I know Friends was more than 20 years ago, but still. It was such a bad exchange here.

Robert Carlock was a writer/producer on Friends too, so it's not like there's any excuse for it.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Shallow end: Jane's short hair totally works for her.

So far this hasn't been my favourite season but I'm hoping the second half will make up for it and we get a happy ending. 

Yes!  Jane gives me major hair envy whenever I watch this show.  To the point that I am sometimes distracted by how fabulous it looks.  That's how my hair looks in my dreams.  IMO, Jane has never looked better!  Her whole hair-makeup-wardrobe vibe is spectacular!

This season has been kind of a letdown for me, too.  I binged the first 4 and felt rather disappointed so I waited a few days to watch the last 2.  And I think the last 2 saved the show for me because I highly enjoyed them and felt the original feel of the show was 'back.'  I look forward to the second half.  Wish netflix would leave well enough alone though.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I hope this splitting up the season into 2 parts experiment fails on them and that they don't bother to try it again.

• Love 4

I hope this splitting up the season into 2 parts experiment fails on them and that they don't bother to try it again.

Me too. It's a slap in the face for fans of the show who wait anxiously for each season.

These episodes were just sort of meh. No malfunctioning Teddy Ruxpin to make me laugh my ass off.

On 6/10/2018 at 10:10 AM, Cementhead said:

Yes!  Jane gives me major hair envy whenever I watch this show.  To the point that I am sometimes distracted by how fabulous it looks.  That's how my hair looks in my dreams.  IMO, Jane has never looked better!  Her whole hair-makeup-wardrobe vibe is spectacular!

This season has been kind of a letdown for me, too.  I binged the first 4 and felt rather disappointed so I waited a few days to watch the last 2.  And I think the last 2 saved the show for me because I highly enjoyed them and felt the original feel of the show was 'back.'  I look forward to the second half.  Wish netflix would leave well enough alone though.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I hope this splitting up the season into 2 parts experiment fails on them and that they don't bother to try it again.

I don't hate the splitting up seasons. A lot of Netflix shows run too long but I often feel the need to finish the run. With splitting up I can do a quick binge and then not have to worry for a while and the show doesn't overstay it's welcome. Even I didn't enjoy this run as much as I hoped, being able to say it was a quick 6 episode run made it go down easy. 10 to 13 episodes of something that isn't totally clicking for me in a row is not fun.

• Love 3

Glad to hear there are going to be another batch of episodes because I couldn't figure out why they'd leave us hanging on a cliff-hanger. I went to watch the next episode and it was the Season 1 pilot! Confused! And that's got to be Richard Wayne Gary Wayne taking the pictures, right? Or someone working for him. They left that unresolved too.

OK, I'll admit - I liked the living backpack and thought the bit with Kimmy stuffing her with rocks and her freaking out was funny.

It was strangely disturbing, actually. I found myself being really creeped out by it.

• Love 5

Kimmy loading up Jan with rocks was so disturbing and dark but this show does that so well, I was completely on board. Though definitely relieved that Jan survived and will continue to accompany Kimmy on adventures.

Mimi Kanasis becoming Jacqueline's assistant felt like a nice shoutout to her Bojack Horseman character, who is a talent agent like Jacqueline.

Always nice to see Xanthippe, surly queen of my heart.

I could watch Busy Phillips make snarly faces all day. I'm assuming she'll be back for the second half of the season, if Lillian's in charge of her trust fund. "You mean every time I want to buy Tide Pods to eat, I have to ask her????"

On 5/31/2018 at 10:07 PM, bettername2come said:

"You still haven't told Kimmy about 9/11!"

I cackled. I have been wondering since the first episode when somebody was going to tell her about 9/11. Of all the things she missed in the bunker, that is by far the biggest!

• Love 2
On 5/31/2018 at 10:07 PM, bettername2come said:

"You still haven't told Kimmy about 9/11!"

"12, 13, 14, 15, that's how you count to 15 by skipping 10 and starting with 9!" (Realistically speaking though how has she avoided learning about 9/11 so far considering there are memorials and references to it everywhere in the NYC area?)

On 6/11/2018 at 1:34 PM, iMonrey said:

Glad to hear there are going to be another batch of episodes because I couldn't figure out why they'd leave us hanging on a cliff-hanger. I went to watch the next episode and it was the Season 1 pilot! Confused! And that's got to be Richard Wayne Gary Wayne taking the pictures, right? Or someone working for him. They left that unresolved too.

It was strangely disturbing, actually. I found myself being really creeped out by it.

I also found the scene to be really disturbing. I think because the backpack was supposed to have the personality of a child so it's essentially a scene about Kimmy, who is generally a kind and innocent person, about to murder a "child" except it's played for laughs.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:26 PM, Nellise said:

This was probably the best of the first 6 episodes, which isn't saying much. For every one joke that lands there are about 10 that don't this season. And I still think they've made a mistake turning Lillian into a main character. She worked much better as someone with a weird comment now and then. That whole "I know you know..." was a poor imitation of the Friends' version and went on forever.

I agree about Lillian.  I just don't find her character that funny and she would work better as a secondary, or even tertiary, character. 

• Love 3
On 7/4/2018 at 8:59 PM, DrSpaceman said:

I agree about Lillian.  I just don't find her character that funny and she would work better as a secondary, or even tertiary, character. 

I couldn't agree more.  Her horny old lady routine grates on my last nerve, the less Lillian the better in my opinion.

• Love 1
On 6/2/2018 at 9:59 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I didn't really care for the backpack,it kind of got on my nerves. But the fucked up scene where Kimmy was getting ready to murder it totally saved that plotline. Although Titus saying he was only hearing half of Kimmy's conversation was also pretty funny.

So I’m a year late watching this show. Wasn’t the scene where Kimmy was going to kill the backpack a reference to “Of Mice and Men” where George kills Lennie? Or am I the only person who thinks that?