Type keyword(s) to search

Finals, Training Camp and Social Media

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

Sydney will be her port for 3 1/2 months. ?☀️

She is so blessed to see the world and to start off in Sydney.  I would take dancing in Sydney any day to dancing at  The Star and only getting to do about 13 games or so.  

• Love 14
2 hours ago, SmpIsimon said:

Yes, I agree with you.

We don’t know if she did though....so much of those conversations are edited and we only see what CMT allows us to see. 

30 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

And, she starts the conversation by saying: “I love you like a daughter...”

It seemed to me that she felt a little bad for being so harsh in front of others when Dayton first arrived. I am only guessing by her body language and the pain I saw on KELLI’S face. It’s also pretty obvious that CMT isn’t showing the good stuff from Dayton while trying very hard to show ONLY the good stuff out of Victoria. 

All involved should be angry with the CMT edit. They are trying to tell a story of good vs bad. Ironically, their “good choice” ends up being our villain. These are two YOUNG ladies. CMT could have found other drama that wasn’t so personally damaging. 

I posted before I read this.  #amen

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, English Teacher said:

We don’t know if she did though....so much of those conversations are edited and we only see what CMT allows us to see. 

I posted before I read this.  #amen

English Teacher,

Is school back in session? Is it time to clean up the grammar in fear of THE red pen? 

By the way, you often post comments that make me feel like you own some real estate in my brain. ?

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

It’s #dramality....drama + reality.  I have said over the years, if there wasn’t an angle or storyline to draw in viewers, it would be a documentary and wouldn’t have lasted 13 years. The real truth lies in where this short road leads the girls, whether they make the team or not. Many of their true talents are never showcased, but come full circle in their ACTUAL lives. There’s not enough time to show all that happens throughout camp. And I agree, they should show more of all TCCs and not just focus on 2 or 3, there are 25 of them! 

I understand what you are saying, but people who sign up for The Batchelor or Big Brother are going on a show that will create situations for ratings.  These are young girls who want to cheer on a real life squad, not one made up for a TV show.  I know the girls, especially as the years go by, know what they are signing up for, but it's still hard to watch them get treated like they do.  And yes, there needs to be a way for us to meet all the girls.  But are they allowed to ask to not be featured?

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

It’s #dramality....drama + reality.  I have said over the years, if there wasn’t an angle or storyline to draw in viewers, it would be a documentary and wouldn’t have lasted 13 years. The real truth lies in where this short road leads the girls, whether they make the team or not. Many of their true talents are never showcased, but come full circle in their ACTUAL lives. There’s not enough time to show all that happens throughout camp. And I agree, they should show more of all TCCs and not just focus on 2 or 3, there are 25 of them! 

True. You are a class act. Thank you.

• Love 11

So next week is the one I dread.    The first times on the field for jump split scare me, and from the preview for next week, I'm hoping the uneven landings aren't  holding on to other cheerleaders, because that's how they get badly hurt.      I know the jump split is spectacular, but the continued concussion on their entire bodies has to take a toll, if not now, but later in their lives.    I think they should get rid of the jump split, and I bet the number of injuries will go down.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

Can someone remind me if the TCC that had the 40 hour a week job and drove 100 miles a day and got cut?  I swear my memory is just gone.

Yes she did 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

I understand what you are saying, but people who sign up for The Batchelor or Big Brother are going on a show that will create situations for ratings.  These are young girls who want to cheer on a real life squad, not one made up for a TV show.  I know the girls, especially as the years go by, know what they are signing up for, but it's still hard to watch them get treated like they do.  And yes, there needs to be a way for us to meet all the girls.  But are they allowed to ask to not be featured?

Yes, very true. I think the original 2 hour special was as close as it gets to our normal process. But we also have a TV show that needs storylines, plots, etc. They have to follow the overcomes, strugglers, perfect fits. People, viewers, are more drawn to those on the struggle bus...they’re either rooting for them or ready to kick’em while they’re down. The latter sentiment should all give us pause to reflect on what they’re own lives must be like ? 

They can decline, but they all sign the waivers. We really haven’t had anyone object that has made it to TC. There are a few in prelims that don’t want to sign it. 

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

Yes, very true. I think the original 2 hour special was as close as it gets to our normal process. But we also have a TV show that needs storylines, plots, etc. They have to follow the overcomes, strugglers, perfect fits. People, viewers, are more drawn to those on the struggle bus...they’re either rooting for them or ready to kick’em while they’re down. The latter sentiment should all give us pause to reflect on what they’re own lives must be like ? 

They can decline, but they all sign the waivers. We really haven’t had anyone object that has made it to TC. There are a few in prelims that don’t want to sign it. 

If they refuse to sign it, does it reduce their chances of making it into training camp and into the team?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ByTor said:

I wonder, when people train as dancers (or actors, singers), do they also get tips on how to handle rude comments without letting it get to them?  The entertainment industry sure is rough!

For dance, it really depends on where you’re trained. An excellent studio will have high expectations with each discipline, while nurturing the student, teaching both the mental and physical attributes of the art and industry. Criticism happens in the class, but they aren’t personal, it’s all about the work. A good studio will have the chops to back up what they are dishing out, students that have gone on to work in the industry. There are tons of studios around that are just like another poster mentioned “Susie is fantastic, she’s the star of the class! Reminder: tuition is due and we take cash, check or credit card!” 

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

Criticism happens in the class, but they aren’t personal, it’s all about the work.

That's the hard part, I guess there's really no way to "train" someone how to handle the personal stuff other than telling them "don't let it get to you."  Easier said than done, I'm sure.

• Love 2
On 8/30/2018 at 2:08 PM, Jess14 said:

I think I would have a bigger problem with Gina or some others standing out if this was like a college dance team, who has a primary goal of winning nationals. In that case, exact precision and synchronization is a factor in the score, so I think that’s different. With the DCCs though, yes, they’re a team, but I think their primary purpose is to entertain the fans and not much else. I want to be drawn in and be wowed, so I can have favorites that aren't just based on who I think is pretty or who I’ve guessed is a nice person (even though I know none of them and don’t pretend to). I want to see POP! Therefore, the girls with some swag are the ones who become my favorites.

I think there are benefits to having some blenders on the team who are good dancers, do all the steps right, and don’t make a fuss, while not standing out, but I would be bored to tears if that was the case throughout the entire squad.

Well said!!  totally agree!   

1 minute ago, ShellyB said:

I guess what I was trying to say is, if you are training in the right setting, you learn the difference between valid criticism/critiques vs. someone just running their mouth because they can.  Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but a majority of the ? on social comes from those without a clue about the person, their background, training or situation.

That's true.  My problem would be, even if someone were making baseless comments about me, I'd still have in the back of my mind "if that person thinks (whatever) about me, there must be others who do too, maybe they're right."  Good for you for being able to not take that crap seriously, and I hope Dayton has that skill as well.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, ShellyB said:

Ehh...the edit is what it is, they have to have a story/drama somewhere. It’s the #trolls and #couchdwellers that feel the need to crawl out, just to post a comment. She’s probably related to JanitorJim ? #byegirlbye

Several cruises are already planned!

Hey everyone...……..has anyone checked to see if Shelly needs traveling companions?????

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

Well....i did go #mambear on her, but did you look at her profile pic? Probs not a lot going on iher world. My bad, but c’mon lady! How miserable are you, that you need to go on a beautiful, young girls profile to post “Don’t reaudition”.  If you read all the comments, that was the only negative one. Must be lonely in spyland. 

She was gross.  Could be dayton’s Grandma age wise. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, ByTor said:

That's the hard part, I guess there's really no way to "train" someone how to handle the personal stuff other than telling them "don't let it get to you."  Easier said than done, I'm sure.

With my students, each is different, but there are broad categories. 

1. Those that crumble under any perceived negativity is one category- in their social media lives, in class receiving corrections, in class dealing with normal pre-teen girl drama, etc. I usually show them some tough love. Emphasis on the love, but my basic path for these dancers:

1. Teach them to identify the “source.” Who are they listening to? Do they trust the person giving criticism? 

2. Have them try to find the “why” in the feedback. Is this feedback meant to help them? Is it someone trying to make themselves feel better by criticizing them? Is it coming from someone that has no legit reason to provide feedback of any kind? 

3. Have them (If necessary- the stuff coming from an untrusted source with no good “why” is off the table) give the same feedback to a fictional character in a role play. How would THEY deliver the same message? 

4.  Finally, (over time) have them be able to go through the same steps and learn to genuinely appreciate the feedback that is helping them. 

But, I don’t baby them and I give a ton of recognition as they learn to toughen themselves up while being willing and looking forward to those willing to help. 

If I were teaching in a pre-professional program, I would do the same thing, but I would add role-playing for what they might get at real auditions, from competitors, etc. 

On the occasion that I do competitions with dancers. The number one rule is to control what you can, push aside what you can’t and compartmentalize the negative stuff until we are back at the studio. No victims from our team- we have a job. Do it, then we will address the feelings when we get home. (Of course, I’m protecting them as well, but they will NEVER see me call out another team, a competing parent, judge etc) We’re there to learn, grow, accept awards with joy, and be graceful in the losses. 

There are a few other “categories,” but this is now a book. 

ETA: I have a zero tolerance for “mean girl.” If someone is pulling that crap, and can’t be trained out of it- please leave. (Usually the “mean girls” are the parents and most of the time we can develop a rapport, but if not, I will suggest other studios to them.)

Edited by Taralightner
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, ATLGirl said:

There’s a new closed Facebook group for DCC fans, btw, and Dayton is getting torn to shreds on it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I get that. But some of the comments are more brutal than I expected. 

I think I’m a part of that group. It’s not new (I’m guessing this is the same group...it’s small, yes?) and I’m surprised they are being mean. They used to be so nice it was boring. I don’t go on Facebook any longer so I have no idea.

Edited by PBSLover
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, ShellyB said:

Well....I did go #mambear on her, but did you look at her profile pic? Probs not a lot going on in her world. My bad, but c’mon lady! How miserable are you, that you need to go on a beautiful, young girls profile to post “Don’t reaudition”.  If you read all the comments, that was the only negative one. Must be lonely in spyland. 

On the bright side, Dayton will be literally dancing around the world. How divine!

• Love 8

Never, ever read what anyone says about you...good or bad, and only look at the good pics! 

The show starts out with storylines of certain TCC to follow & film.  The arc of the story could go either way.  If a TCC they are following shows up dancing like Holly, well they will take the storyline in a different direction.  

I don’t know about a fantasy dcc camp...could be brutal! 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

I think I’m a part of that group. It’s not new (I’m guessing this is the same group...it’s small, yes?) and I’m surprised they are being mean. They used to be so nice it was boring. I don’t go on Facebook any longer so I have no idea.

I was on the Facebook page you mentioned, but I left after a week because of the way they were going after Dayton. I felt like saying have you ever heard of editing and hearing the entire story before jumping to conclusions. It breaks my heart to see how people turned against her. She is darn brave to try out in the first place. Oh what the heck! I think any of the girls who try out one or more times are darn brave.

4 hours ago, NMDD43 said:

Based on of some of the comments written, it doesn't seem she's ill or suffering from anything super serious like a death in the family or something. For example Brianna wrote "someday you'll look back at this and laugh"

780F8CC1-06C1-463D-BE57-84F9345ACB96.jpeg

FBB5A739-C349-4797-BDA4-82FDA3A0FF23.jpeg

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ShellyB said:

Sydney will be her port for 3 1/2 months. ?☀️

When you wrote that D would be South Pacific, the first thing I thought was just that!

Angela will have lots of good tips for her. Incidentally, I live on the northern beaches, near where Angela’s NRL team is based. My DH coached there around the same time Angela would have cheered but I never met her (like in all pro football clubs, the football department was quite separate).

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Pinknblue said:

When you wrote that D would be South Pacific, the first thing I thought was just that!

Angela will have lots of good tips for her. Incidentally, I live on the northern beaches, near where Angela’s NRL team is based. My DH coached there around the same time Angela would have cheered but I never met her (like in all pro football clubs, the football department was quite separate).

Pressure bands for the wrist is a must to cross the Tasman Sea! 

Edited by Jazzmom

When I was in high school, I did competitive speech and debate (which included acting events) and we were given our ballots from every judge to read over. It was really helpful to learn how to deal with criticism because we got to see all of it. There were nice things as well as critiques. I learned that if the comment was repeated then it was something i need to look at. If it was a weird one of, then i usually ignored it. I grew tough skin at an early age and that has helped me through my whole life. I think the problem is that studios now cater to the parents and let a lot of bad technique and performance go unsaid so they don’t have to deal with it or lose the money from the kid. 

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Taralightner said:

Has her username for this account always been “jaylyns tough?”

@ShellyB- when you do see her, can you pass on that there is concern and empathy from the Internet coming her way? 

I just got the impression something has happened - I pray that it’s nothing serious. Love all the DCC LADIES. Please pass on our love @ShellyB please xx

• Love 8

So geeked at the clip (though quick) of Nicole at point, & the other phenomenal dancers behind her that year (i.e., Brooke & others...).  Those were were the days of DCC with so many / virtually everyone being a power dancer & performer!  This is one of the less exciting/weaker overall-talented DCC squads I've seen (but they still out-rank all other teams' squads' by far, of course)!!  Just my opinion.  Can someone update us with the names of the others on that year's squad in the background in the Nicole point clip?  Or other power dancers/performers on the DCC that year?  Loved them!  

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, JohnGalt said:

Jalyn is ok as far as I know. No injuries or anything like that. Personal life stuff, and her fellow rookies showed her some love. I always enjoy seeing how close the rookie classes get to each other.

Her username is her name, Jalyn Stough. Several of the girls are going out of town because they’re off for Labor Day weekend. 

Her name also spells Jalyn’s tough. lol! I didn’t know her last name. I’m embarrassed, but it’s pretty funny! 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, PBSLover said:

I think I am too and correct me if i am wrong, wasn't it started by some former posters on here?  Its a private group right?  I was invited but haven't gone to the page since an insider has told me it gets out of control with snark and has little if any moderation.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, DKay said:

So geeked at the clip (though quick) of Nicole at point, & the other phenomenal dancers behind her that year (i.e., Brooke & others...).  Those were were the days of DCC with so many / virtually everyone being a power dancer & performer!  This is one of the less exciting/weaker overall-talented DCC squads I've seen (but they still out-rank all other teams' squads' by far, of course)!!  Just my opinion.  Can someone update us with the names of the others on that year's squad in the background in the Nicole point clip?  Or other power dancers/performers on the DCC that year?  Loved them!  

What clip?

In the episode? I will have to go back and look.

The outcome of Dayton getting her job over the DCC reminds me of what my Mom used to say “when God closes a door, he opens a window.” I haven’t always seen that play out in my life, but for some reason her situation reminded me of that saying.

She’s a beautiful, talented girl and I think she will be having the time of her life.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, DCC.Style.fan said:

What clip?

In the episode? I will have to go back and look.

The clip when Kelly was introducing the 3 vets who came in to the studio to watch the 4 group dance & give them feedback. They showed still pics of Jacie & another vet,  and showed a quick video of Nicole dancing at point when introducing her. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, TexasBorn said:

Gabby reminds me of Molly her rookie year. She's a fast learner, dependable, and composed.

Agreed. She was impressive last night. 

Note to CMT: this is a really good rookie class and there are several ladies I would love to get to know better. Bridget, Hannah, Jaylyn, Brianna, just to name a few. 

Also, I thought Ashlee was adorable last night. I'm rooting for her because she was captain of the dance team at Louisana Tech which is the school that my father in law, mother in law, and many other members of my husband's family attended. His grandfather was an English prof there for decades. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Holly85 said:

Yes she did 

The girls that have to work will struggle with keeping up. I think the one girl who had been a competitive gymnast and was moving so stiffly could have made the team if she had taken more time to practice with vets and see what she was doing. But then quitting  your job isn’t  always realistic either. 

Training camp is really hard and it seems like TCCs should maybe figure out their lives in a way that they can not work until the season starts. But even after that it would be hard to maintain practice schedule, work 40 hours a week and drive hours every day. 

Good for her for giving it a shot.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DCCFAN71 said:

Rookie Rachel is pretty but it's something about her lips that look odd to me. She is really boring and needs to step it up in personality and dance performance.

Her resting face is parted lips with front teeth showing. It makes her look simple minded

• Love 4
1 hour ago, rose711 said:

The girls that have to work will struggle with keeping up. I think the one girl who had been a competitive gymnast and was moving so stiffly could have made the team if she had taken more time to practice with vets and see what she was doing. But then quitting  your job isn’t  always realistic either. 

Training camp is really hard and it seems like TCCs should maybe figure out their lives in a way that they can not work until the season starts. But even after that it would be hard to maintain practice schedule, work 40 hours a week and drive hours every day. 

Good for her for giving it a shot.

I hope she comes back

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

I hope she comes back

So do I. All the girls work hard, but i have extra respect for the cheerleaders who work full time, as in 40 hours a week. That is just way more difficult than carrying a part time dance job plus TC. 

• Love 12

Kristen is very pretty, but Kelli is right, her eyes always look sleepy or like she is going to pass out.  She kinda looks high all the time (not suggesting she uses drugs) just that her eyes always look that way to me.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DCC.Style.fan said:

I think I am too and correct me if i am wrong, wasn't it started by some former posters on here?  Its a private group right?  I was invited but haven't gone to the page since an insider has told me it gets out of control with snark and has little if any moderation.

There was a group of ladies on I think the CMT website (it was a great thread, but of course, they shut it down) that were close and so respectful of the girls and the organization. I think they very much disliked TWOP (which then became Previously TV) because they felt it was too nasty and formed their own little group. If it is now out of control than I am thinking it cannot be the same the group of women. These were older gals, super hardcore, longtime fans who would never trash the show or the TCC. Gotta be another group.

Edited by PBSLover
  • Love 1