Type keyword(s) to search

Naked and Afraid XL - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Captain Asshat said:

That's just it, though. No one asked them to share the hooks. I think the "roommates" asked for a trade. They did not expect to give nothing in return. I guess the hungry tribe had nothing Jeff and Laura wanted, which is a valid reason to turn down a trade. That's called a failed negotiation, not asking for a handout or welfare or whatever Jeff called it.

I really do hope the tables turn in the next 20 days. I doubt they will enough for Jeff and Laura to learn a lesson in humility. I was really hoping Jeff had changed a bit, but I guess not. The worst thing is, though, that he seems to have "infected" Laura with his holier-than-thou survival attitude. Pity. I liked her. 

Great point.  I don’t remember if it was Duke or James who noted that they probably didn’t have anything that Jeff and Laura would want to trade for but I give them kudos for coming up with the idea and acting on it.  As for Jeff, he probably would not be a good chess player (thinking ahead a few steps in a variety of scenarios due to how the opponent may respond).  He looked a bit surprised at the trade offer   

Even if Jeff gave them 4 fishhooks he still had the advantage in catching something with what he had left.  Then there was the effort that both had to make in finding bait - since there were so many hooks in the water I guess that wasn’t an issue?

The show sometimes has a way of delivering some karma, this bunch now knows how Jeff and Laura operate so I hope the others will be able to deliver it!

• Love 4
(edited)
23 hours ago, rlc said:

Guys, not sure if you knew this because they barely mentioned it, but Jeff and Laura are doing a 60 day challenge.

Are they? Well...that's so different. Pfft. No! I am *so* tired of hearing about their great 60 day challenge. I mean, at this point in the challenge, they have the same number of days to extraction as the rest, they've been doing well on proteins and shelter, so I really think they're actually on a better footing than the other groups and can STFU. Now, if they were staying for an additional 20 days after the others, I'd possibly agree with them. This is not to take away from what they did in their initial 20 days. It was rough, and the boat trip was brutal. But they've moved beyond that, and have thrived with the items they were given. They were provided with a boat, which was done so they could make their way to the island. I know...but it also allowed them to fish offshore much easier than the other groups. Weren't the hooks and line also provided with the boat? I honestly can't remember. 

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, rlc said:

Guys, not sure if you knew this because they barely mentioned it, but Jeff and Laura are doing a 60 day challenge.

I suspect they’re annoyed to be sharing attention with others and think the show should be about them. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

That's just it, though. No one asked them to share the hooks. I think the "roommates" asked for a trade. They did not expect to give nothing in return. I guess the hungry tribe had nothing Jeff and Laura wanted, which is a valid reason to turn down a trade. That's called a failed negotiation, not asking for a handout or welfare or whatever Jeff called it.

Other things I cannot with:

• "We're going to fish wherever, even if you already have a hook there." 
  • The condescending attitude upon seeing the viper the roommates had gotten
  • The general asshattery of loudly proclaiming how good their plentiful food is. 

I really do hope the tables turn in the next 20 days. I doubt they will enough for Jeff and Laura to learn a lesson in humility. I was really hoping Jeff had changed a bit, but I guess not. The worst thing is, though, that he seems to have "infected" Laura with his holier-than-thou survival attitude. Pity. I liked her. 

Also the asshattery of screaming that you have THE BESSSST PARTNERRR EVERRRRR

• Love 4
On 7/1/2019 at 2:24 AM, Chewy101 said:

I am beginning to think that Jeff is going crazy. And it might be an act to launch his pretend career, but so much has changed about him since he met up with E.J. ( And wasn't it E.J. who did the Amazon challenge with Laura, where she expressed disappointment in his arrogance and machismo instead of respecting the gift of nature? She made that guy cry!)

Now that you mention it wasn't it just at the beginning of this XL when they were doing their 21 days in the jungle that Laura wouldn't let Jeff take the last snail they found as thank you to nature for providing for them? They wanted some good karma. I don't know what happened to her. She completely forgot about any good deeds. Although she was just weirdly silent in one of the shots when eating the eel (second or third?). I think on the inside she is ashamed. I understand the hunger can be brutal and can change your perspective on food but at that point they were not starving and could share at least half of the last eel with the other people. They had huge protein meal 3 days in a row plus tons of bananas and plantains. All they miss is a humble pie...

I wonder how the hooks were distributed between everyone. Because if they were given the hooks in addition to their 2 items then how come 1 tribe of 4 doesn't have a single hook while 1 tribe of 6 has 10 (Russel's?) and Laura and Jeff have 20? Was the 10 hooks Russel had one of his items? That would make more sense then. But then does that mean that Jeff and Laura each came with 10 hooks as one of their items? Usually the production makes sure that a team (usually 2 people) doesn't end up with two of the same item (or item with the same function like machete and knife for example). I understand the boat was extra and if they didn't have that small extra advantage of having it (and not just to get from the jungle to the beach but use it for fishing afterwards) it would be impossible for them to push to the end of 60 days. They had really long trip on the sea that took over 12 hours and that's after already done the 3 weeks so they really needed that small advantage to keep going. I also think that's why they got to send to that specific beach with tons of resources. The other teams were sent to way worse places since they were just starting fresh. But I wish they would explain the hooks.

Anyway the situation about food and items - that's how and why all the killing and wars started thousands of years ago... Glad to see that nothing changed... Imagine if everyone would share. People never change no matter what. Thousands of years of evolution, history and we didn't learn anything and this is where it leads anyway. Imagine what would these people do if there were no cameras and were left there for another month...

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Captain Asshat said:

Something tells me, in Jeff's and Laura's minds, they don't have 20 hooks to share. They simply have 20 hooks. 

I should have phrased it differently: You shouldn’t have to ask someone who has twenty hooks if they would share a few with you. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, ava111 said:

Anyway the situation about food and items - that's how and why all the killing and wars started thousands of years ago... Glad to see that nothing changed... Imagine if everyone would share.

It takes a village, though. They are all on the same side, going for the same thing. I just think if Jeff and Laura want to hoard and be only into themselves, they should be evicted from the community cave and go live by themselves. Somewhere over a cliff, ideally. 

Mostly I just have a problem with their demeanor in general. They are total apes, and I'm going to be really mad if they don't have to eat some humble pie at SOME point.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Even if Jeff gave them 4 fishhooks he still had the advantage in catching something with what he had left.

Given his math that would reduce his chances of catching an eel from 200% to 160% though...

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, rlc said:

Come again? They're doing a what you say??? I don't think I've heard them mention that over their bellowing about doing a 60 day challenge.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Come again? They're doing a what you say??? I don't think I've heard them mention that over their bellowing about doing a 60 day challenge.

Don’t quote me, but I think they may have done 21 days before the plebes were inserted. 

7 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Given his math that would reduce his chances of catching an eel from 200% to 160% though...

Only a loser would think those chances are adequate for SOMEONE DOING A SIXTY-DAY CHALLENGE. 

• LOL 7
11 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

It takes a village, though. They are all on the same side, going for the same thing. I just think if Jeff and Laura want to hoard and be only into themselves, they should be evicted from the community cave and go live by themselves. Somewhere over a cliff, ideally. 

Mostly I just have a problem with their demeanor in general. They are total apes, and I'm going to be really mad if they don't have to eat some humble pie at SOME point.

Don’t you wonder if production told the four normals they had to stay with Jaura for filming convenience? 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AUJulia said:

Don’t you wonder if production told the four normals they had to stay with Jaura for filming convenience? 

Most likely they did.  I’ve also been wondering about whether or not Charlie was encouraged to take the path he did to find the others when he was out exploring.  You know, after Jeff declined to trade away a few fish hooks then giving the others another chance to make a trade.  

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/3/2019 at 12:47 PM, Cobb Salad said:

’ve also been wondering about whether or not Charlie was encouraged to take the path he did to find the others when he was out exploring.

It did remind me a little of on Survivor when someone just 'happens' to find a hidden immunity idol.

PS: Has there ever been a more annoying show to set your dvr to record? They continually re-name previous regular challenges as 'new' and then today there was a marathon of sorts and a four hour episode tonight?? Seriously?

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

So I guess the "new" stuff is just the final hour? Ugh

I think it’s mostly what we’ve seen before with some additional footage mixed in.  They just showed a segment with Rylie and Christina arguing over not finding the fire starter.  I don’t remember seeing that before - initially to me it seemed like they got along so well then here they’re fighting.  

That's what I came in here to check on.  I was psyched thinking we were getting a true EXTRA LARGE show tonight but it seems to just be the previous episodes combined into one long one.  Poo.

Someone upthread said "yelly" and "chest thumpy" and I literally giggled out loud (I refuse to type LOL) because I love these home-made words.  Sorry I can't remember who is was, but I commend you.

I don't think Laura would be behaving the way she is if she was with someone other than Jeff.  Sometimes I think she looks embarrassed at what they're/she's doing, but for some reason wants to stay loyal to that ass.  I'll bet if he had to medically tap, she would gladly join the others and be happy to hunt, fish, and share with everyone and be grateful for the opportunity.  Or she could be a true ass too.

Looking forward to Sunday's NEW episode.

I hope everyone is enjoying their 4th of July!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, slasherboy said:

That's what I came in here to check on.  I was psyched thinking we were getting a true EXTRA LARGE show tonight but it seems to just be the previous episodes combined into one long one.  Poo.

Someone upthread said "yelly" and "chest thumpy" and I literally giggled out loud (I refuse to type LOL) because I love these home-made words.  Sorry I can't remember who is was, but I commend you.

I don't think Laura would be behaving the way she is if she was with someone other than Jeff.  Sometimes I think she looks embarrassed at what they're/she's doing, but for some reason wants to stay loyal to that ass.  I'll bet if he had to medically tap, she would gladly join the others and be happy to hunt, fish, and share with everyone and be grateful for the opportunity.  Or she could be a true ass too.

Looking forward to Sunday's NEW episode.

I hope everyone is enjoying their 4th of July!

I’ve always liked Laura but she is responsible for her own actions. Her screaming about getting the eel was so obnoxious 

• Love 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

I think it’s mostly what we’ve seen before with some additional footage mixed in.  They just showed a segment with Rylie and Christina arguing over not finding the fire starter.  I don’t remember seeing that before - initially to me it seemed like they got along so well then here they’re fighting.  

When I saw that part, I was thinking how did I miss that the first time around? I really didn't like Christina and her endless "I hate this!" whining, but losing her fire starter? Lord, that is just loser territory. Rylie didn't even get angry with her, and yet Christina still went off the rails at Rylie's attempts to locate where it was lost, when it was her fault! That fusspot had to go, and her kidneys agreed with me. 

Re-watching poor Russel and his stupid citrus overdose, poor guy. He made a major error, but there is nothing more annoying than people telling you you need to calm down when you have reached that point of no return. Of course he would calm down if he thought he could. But that is what sedatives are for. 

I still think people who get medical attention should be disqualified. They don't get to thump their chests and say they made it when they prove what a game show this really is by how much help they really got.

Jeff and Laura, still hate you, still hoping you take some lumps for being inconsiderate and for being being show boaters. Re-watching your scenes improved nothing.

Edited by Chewy101
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

That fusspot had to go

Heheheheheh, fusspot...heheheheheh.

Yeah this undoing of Laura is so unfortunate. What happened to the likeable karma seeking person we saw way back when? I get that she's accomplished a lot and that is something to be proud of but she's sadly gone down in my rankings for favorites. Jake is and always will be number one but she was definitely top 2 until recently.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

I still think people who get medical attention should be disqualified. They don't get to thump their chests and say they made it when they prove what a game show this really is by how much help they really got.

When Russell got bitten by the snake, I wound up feeling the opposite. Or at least that if you can come back from being taken to the medical tent at base camp overnight, going to the hospital shouldn't be an automatic tap.

8 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

Heheheheheh, fusspot...heheheheheh.

Yeah this undoing of Laura is so unfortunate. What happened to the likeable karma seeking person we saw way back when? I get that she's accomplished a lot and that is something to be proud of but she's sadly gone down in my rankings for favorites. Jake is and always will be number one but she was definitely top 2 until recently.

Before she said something about it, if you had told me that the Laura who was partnered with Jeff and the Laura who was in Alaska with Steven at the start of the current N&A season were different people, I would have believed you.

• Love 4
(edited)

The thing about this show and Jeff and Laura...

In a REAL survival situation, the other four would have physically overpowered them and forcibly taken their hooks (why were they given hooks BTW?) from them.  The only reason why Jeff and Laura didn't get the shit kicked out of them, was because of the producers and the cameras.  

On Facebook there is a Naked and Afraid fan group that got to many negative posts about Jeff and Laura that they had to delete all of them.  The don't want any negative posts about them, and that has pissed off other groups, who are like, "what happened to freedom of speech?"  Apparently, some of the negative comments were pretty harsh, like wishing death on people, and suggesting that Jeff and Laura had an intimate relationship.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1
On 7/5/2019 at 2:07 AM, Chewy101 said:

Jeff and Laura, still hate you, still hoping you take some lumps for being inconsiderate and for being being show boaters. Re-watching your scenes improved nothing.

I’m surprised they let people who have spent the night in a medical tent return - in addition to recovering from what caused them to get the medical assistance in the first place, they get to spend the night on a much more comfortable (I’m assuming) cot in a warmer area away from the bugs, etc.   They get a recharge that the others don’t get. I’m guessing since there’s no monetary prize at the end returning is no big deal.  

As for Jeff and Laura I hope in the end they realize how they’ve appeared to the audience like Russell apparently has, or perhaps the show has a curve ball or two for them that will entertain us.  I’ve been wondering how this 60 day challenge thing would have proceeded if Matt Wright was involved instead of Jeff.   

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

The thing about this show and Jeff and Laura...

In a REAL survival situation, the other four would have physically overpowered them and forcibly taken their hooks (why were they given hooks BTW?) from them.  The only reason why Jeff and Laura didn't get the shit kicked out of them, was because of the producers and the cameras.  

There is something fishy (lol) about those fish hooks.  I’m guessing the cameras also stopped Duke from checking all of Jeff’s hooks and claiming that eel was really his.  

(edited)
2 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

I’m surprised they let people who have spent the night in a medical tent return - in addition to recovering from what caused them to get the medical assistance in the first place, they get to spend the night on a much more comfortable (I’m assuming) cot in a warmer area away from the bugs, etc.   They get a recharge that the others don’t get. I’m guessing since there’s no monetary prize at the end returning is no big deal.  

There was an episode where the producers had to rescue the participants because there was a hurricane coming.  They were put up in a hotel.  I don't remember for how many nights, but after the hurricane left, the participants were returned back to their camp and the show continued.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

Damn you, Jeff. The show HANDED you those hooks!!!! Stop saying they need to put their "big boy" pants on when they attempted to barter with you for your HANDOUTS. Burn, Jeff. Snake bite, cold, infection, I don't wish you dead, but I wish you gone And I'm ashamed of your dismissal of values. Oh, by the way, Laura, unless you break up with your lover and return to your normal self, please get tapped out as well. 

Another show my DVR thought was new and it wasn't. All it did was rile me up again. This show is piss poor at staying organized. 

• Love 6
23 hours ago, Neurochick said:

There was an episode where the producers had to rescue the participants because there was a hurricane coming.  They were put up in a hotel.  I don't remember for how many nights, but after the hurricane left, the participants were returned back to their camp and the show continued.

I remember how bummed they were. But I think getting stitches for mishandling a machete, or slipping and falling, or using poor judgment and eating the wrong food, all of these things should be a tap out.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

Damn you, Jeff. The show HANDED you those hooks!!!! Stop saying they need to put their "big boy" pants on when they attempted to barter with you for your HANDOUTS. Burn, Jeff. Snake bite, cold, infection, I don't wish you dead, but I wish you gone And I'm ashamed of your dismissal of values. Oh, by the way, Laura, unless you break up with your lover and return to your normal self, please get tapped out as well. 

There was a caption in the 7pm “new” episode that said Jeff brought fish hooks and line for his item to the challenge.   I watched the rerun the other day and tried to note what he brought when they started the 21 day portion in the jungle.  No fish hooks mentioned.   I don’t recall them switching items to another item for the 40 day portion.  So there is something else going on here.  

I have a problem with Jeff’s rationalization of his behavior - he’s told the others in so many words he’s not going to feed them.  Okay, fine.  There was no discussion of dibs on the entire river and all of the food in it which he is doing.  They didn’t show how many hooks he had when he caught the first one but I’d bet he didn’t have all 20.  When the others had 4 to set I’m sure he panicked and had to get all of them in there. The others’  work in trying to get an eel (bartering for hooks plus trying to elbow a hook in a spot in the river) really shows how much of a jerk Jeff is in this challenge.  

• Love 5

Omg! Flames!!! Flames!!! From the sides of my face!!!

Jeff proclaims he wouldn’t take a handout. Oh really!!! If you’d barely had any sustenance for 20+ days and someone kindly offered a trade for your stupid banana with eel, you would refuse it?!? I call shenanigans! Shame! Shame! Shame! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Shit Charlie!  Nasty bite.  After nailing that cool snake.  Then he's carrying water, 8.5 lbs. per gallon.  Foolishly refuses to let Laura help and valiantly runs out of gas.  They've been telegraphing he was going out for weeks and he recovers.  Then he relapses.  Is he really out? Tough old marine!  (I'm 60)

So Laura pretends to find a conscious and magnanimously decides to trade half of her tiny eel for the fee of one banana per person.  So she gets the water concession in hell.

Greedy (self-proclaimed) devout Mormon Jeff is appalled!!!  by this modicum of (production induced?) compassion.  Don't make me clutch my pearls, asshole.  If this were real, those lower "others" would have crushed your skull days ago.

That dinner "party" was cringeworthy.

Of course Jeff will happily use those beneath him to have "safety in numbers" on this trek.  Then he wants to ditch them, again.  Karma train, karma train.....

Everybody was so supportive of James and then Charlie, except for Jeff and phony Laura.

If there were a $million at stake for the "winner", and everybody was playing a game, it would be totally the way to go, but there is no prize (that we know about).

I need to nose around the Twitter.  Should be hilarious.

eta:  They don't have a lot of fans 🙂 

Edited by PaperTree
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

So it looks like their new area doesn’t have a big river to cast many hooks to catch eels, oh no!

It was nice of Laura to share her part of the eel, I think asking for bananas in exchange was kind of silly, given they have plenty of their own still. 

Jeff wants to trek through the jungle firing on all thrusters which is pretty easy to do when he’s been eating pretty well all along vs everyone else who have been barely surviving.  At least we were spared the yelling and chest thumping this week.  

Regarding Russell and now Charlie, I don’t get how they would rather stay to finish when their health is in danger.  Watching Charlie in the cave shivering must have been scary to see in person.  

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, rlc said:

Please, please, please don’t tease us with the promos for next week. 

I so want Jeff to get dengue fever.  He won't handle it nearly as well as Manu did.  I hope she and her brother are OK.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, rlc said:

If anyone has some free time and wants to have some fun, head on over to twitter.

C5E613B2-D0E3-4F88-AF9D-04995CE7BA9E.jpeg

It's revealing how many greedy assholes will support one of their own, with Laura trying to pull off some redemption bullshit.

Sorry girl, you can't wash off the stench with half a baby eel.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

It was nice of Laura to share her part of the eel, I think asking for bananas in exchange was kind of silly, given they have plenty of their own still. 

I think she HAD to do the banana thing out of fear Jeff would have bashed her head in with a stone in her sleep for "poisoning" their experience.

Jeff is already sick, he has a terminal case of Assholitis, and he also has a nasty as-of-yet non-treated case of BetterThanYouitis. You can't cure the first but hopefully a nice dose of 'remedy' for problem 2 is on it's way for Jeff.

I think Laura is running out of her Jeff love... at least I hope I saw a flicker of it in her eyes. Now that the whole group has been together more, and what with her being an actual human, she's more involved with them as their journey has intertwined. I'm sure Jeff will no longer refer to her as 'the best partner ever' at the top of his lungs now that she's shown such weakness.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
On 7/6/2019 at 4:09 PM, Cobb Salad said:

As for Jeff and Laura I hope in the end they realize how they’ve appeared to the audience like Russell apparently has, or perhaps the show has a curve ball or two for them that will entertain us.  I’ve been wondering how this 60 day challenge thing would have proceeded if Matt Wright was involved instead of Jeff.   

I think Matt would act like a man instead of an adolescent. 

• Love 5

Hilarious in the preview when they jumped back and forth between showing Jeff wilting and the tree coming down. I hope someone yells TIMBERRRR and he face plants. 

Twitter isn’t loving Jeff and Laura: 

D74D736B-011D-4C27-ACCD-6E12C798AEFA.jpeg

• Love 3
(edited)

Laura shares the smallest eel they've caught, what a saint. I hate them.

And I really wish someone would punch Jeff, and then teach him some grammar, and then punch him again.

I don't think even Laura likes him anymore.

Edited by Chewy101
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

Laura shares the smallest eel they've caught, what a saint. I hate them.

I don't hate them.  It takes too much energy.

I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire though.  

Sorry Jeff, no handouts!

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Chewy101 said:

On a happy note, I love Duck! he has the most hilarious descriptions of things. 

I do too.  He has such an easygoing manner that makes him an asset to the challenge.  

• Love 4

Just saw the last two episodes. I LOATH jeff. Laura was a pretty big ass screaming when she caught the big eel knowing full well the poor other people were starving. The way jeff condescending sneers about the little "snack" of the viper the 6 others shared, while gloating the whole time makes him about the worst human being ever to be on N&A in my book. Actual gloating and rubbing in their faces that they only had a tiny snake to share. What a piece of crap he is. I do hope that tree falls down right  him. He is the most obnoxious ass ever! I am glad Laura shared her half of the smallest eel with the group. Did you see how pissed Assjerk was when she did that? I hope every one on earth jeff, with a small j, sees this show and knows what kind of human being he is and isn't. I can't measure the disgust I feel for him. Laura isn't too much better with encouraging him to yell around poor starving people with no hooks, their own glee at full bellies. Poor Charlie and Russell, my heart breaks for them. I can't wait till next week where we see jeff SUFFERING. I hope he has to tap. I do not want people to help him. Hey every man for themselves...right jeff? with a small j, and small in every other way that counts too. Small hearted fucker. Karma, I hope it's your bitch. For a looong time.

• Love 7