Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Heartless

Screen+Shot+2018-04-04+at+2.29.19+PM+%25

Dylan and Lizzie investigate the murder of a Jane Doe, but when they realize that the victim was killed by mistake, they must identify the killer’s motive and intended target before she suffers the same fate.

Promos

I thought the episode was alright. It felt like this should be the third episode, with all this 'new consultant' talk and the way the characters were talking. 

I figured out that the dad would be involved; I just didn't expect the sushi chef to be the actual killer. They only showed him in one very brief shot, as if he was just a random extra, so I appreciate that they didn't have him distract from the episode or make it obvious that he was the killer. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

It felt like this should be the third episode, with all this 'new consultant' talk and the way the characters were talking. 

I know. Are these episodes airing out of order or something? Each week is like a step forward and back with their relationship. I don't get it.

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I know. Are these episodes airing out of order or something? Each week is like a step forward and back with their relationship. I don't get it.

It seems so. Looking at the Wikipedia page, which I'm not positive if it's accurate or not, this seems to have been the second episode filmed. And episode 2 seems to be the twelfth episode filmed!

It's very odd, indeed. 

• Love 1

I am not sure if this show still interests me. Who is Reinhart? A professor who teaches behavior science and an ex-CIA? But then why does he have Sherlock Holmes-like deduction ability? First episode made sense. The killer modeled the killings after Reinhart's book. But now he just becomes all-knowledgeable plus he has access to secret information that the police does not have. If I want to watch Elementary, it premieres next week.

• Love 3

This was my first viewing of this show.

I really like it...more than I thought I would. But I've always liked AC and that was the  main draw for me to give this show a try.

I love love love the way he dresses!

I watched this show with a friend of mine who is first-generation American with Croatian parents, so when Lizzy slipped into Serbian, he started translating for me. (For those of y'all that don't know, Croatian/Serbian/Bosnian are kind of like American English/British English/Australian English in that they are the same...but different.)

I liked that Reinhart was gay and married and it was no big deal. We are post-Will and Grace; that is as it should be. Having said that, I'm having to fight the urge to ship these two. Old habits die hard I guess. That and I sensed just a little bit of chemistry.

But wouldn't that be a twist? If the two of them had an affair and he's married to another guy. That hasn't been done yet to my knowledge. AC is bisexual and even if he wasn't he's played straight before. Or have it come out that she still has a crush on him despite his proclivities and she has to fight against it. It just makes for same-but-different dynamics to explore.

But I can also see that wouldn't it be nice if the male and female lead of a show just. stayed. friends. for. Pete's. sakes.

Now that would be a twist!

If I can remember to actually watch TV on a Sunday night (something I rarely do), I'll watch this again.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

It seems so. Looking at the Wikipedia page, which I'm not positive if it's accurate or not, this seems to have been the second episode filmed. And episode 2 seems to be the twelfth episode filmed!

It's very odd, indeed. 

Huh. I've never paid attention to the "Prod[uction]. Code" column before: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instinct_(U.S._TV_series)#Episodes
Now I want to visit an alternate universe where the plagiarized episode ("Secrets and Lies") was aired 8th or later; I wonder if I (and TPTB and the other viewers) would've been more forgiving or more enraged.

11 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I just didn't expect the sushi chef to be the actual killer.

The first time we saw James Saito as the sushi chef, I not only said, "H!ITG!," but, as Monk would say, "He's the guy."

But then, I have to admit, I forgot about him until the reveal.

3 hours ago, vadare said:

But I can also see that wouldn't it be nice if the male and female lead of a show just. stayed. friends. for. Pete's. sakes.

Now that would be a twist!

Sherlock and Joan on Elementary are not romantically together and I believe TPTB said they never would be

• Love 7

I liked this one a bit better, but I feel like I am getting whiplash from the obviously out-of-order episodes.  It really messes with the continuity.  The fact that the weaker episodes that have been show so far were filmed later than this one does not bode well.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, vadare said:

In this show, the leads are platonic.

On 4/23/2018 at 3:21 PM, vadare said:

I watched this show with a friend of mine who is first-generation American with Croatian parents, so when Lizzy slipped into Serbian, he started translating for me. (For those of y'all that don't know, Croatian/Serbian/Bosnian are kind of like American English/British English/Australian English in that they are the same...but different.)

I did not know that, thank you for that information. Now, I'm dying to know, what did she say?

I liked the episode well enough, but the opening got me kind of invested in the girl who actually died. Though their look through her phone showed she was a bit of a scammer, I was sorry that they never seemed to notify her parents and go down that trail just a little.

The motorcycle hijinks turned out funnier than I expected, and I did like the scene showing how competent the detectives were when they were talking about the checks.

This episode definitely seemed out of order with Lizzie reiterating that she is Dylan's boss, hazing by the other detectives, Andy acting like they hadn't discussed Dylan's consulting with the NYPD, Dylan wanting a parking pass, etc. Also Naveen gave a lot of exposition in his first scene with Dylan, most of which we already know. And I wonder if they are going to pick up what Naveen said about Lizzie's late fiance possibly being corrupt? I hope not. This show is just fine as a weekly procedural, IMO. 

And nonononono to a Lizzie/Dylan hook-up. The beauty of Dylan being gay is that I don't have to dread the inevitable romance being shoehorned in as happens on every other show (or do it seems). I don't think Alan has much chemistry with the actor playing Andy, but they are a nice couple and let's just leave it that way, shall we? 

Alan's hair dye was very noticeable this episode. He's what? Early 50s? Too young to be so obviously dyed, but then again, my husband is 51 & has been gray for 20 years so gray hair clearly doesn't bother me too much. And he's not in a profession where looks pretty much outweigh skill either, so there's that. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

This episode definitely seemed out of order with Lizzie reiterating that she is Dylan's boss, hazing by the other detectives, Andy acting like they hadn't discussed Dylan's consulting with the NYPD, Dylan wanting a parking pass, etc.

I have a new DVR box (Contour II) and it's a supposed upgrade.  My old box would tell me the exact number of each Instinct episode in "production" order and they were definitely out of order...WAY out.  Now it just gives the order of broadcast.  Much as I love Alan, I've given up on this show...and others (Rise, For the People, Imposters).  I think I'm watching too many news shows.

I think Alan C has chemistry with everyone, in every role I've ever seen him in, even when its 100% not part of the script. I don't even know if he is capable of turning it off. Because this is CBS, I suspect they will refrain from showing any passion between him and his husband, so it will unfortunately make his baseline sizzle with everyone else seem even more noticeable. If all he does with hubs is a hello/good-bye cheek kiss and occasional handhold, and he spends most of his screen time in deep conversation and heightened intensity moments with his work partner, it makes the marriage seem less intense than the job. It's a problem. Other shows solve it by giving the lead bedroom scenes with their romantic partner, but CBS seems unlikely to allow that between two men, so I don't know what we can expect in terms of balance here.

• Love 1

I’ve been watching this and I am mildly entertained, but it seems like “Mentalist Lite.”  They have even lifted several catch phrases from the Jane character and used them.  Cumming is entertaining in general and I like the female lead, but I just don’t quite buy it.  The character seems a bit too contrived.  

Does Andy just seem a little too perfect?  Like he's never anything other than unfalteringly supportive of Dylan, which is kind of unrealistic, unless they're supposed to be complete newlyweds.

They are really not helped by airing these episodes so wildly out of order.  There's no continuity in Dylan and Lizzie's relationship at all.

• Love 2

Trying to catch up on this series, so forgive me if this has already been posted. Is this the episode where Dylan and Lizzie go to that designer store in NYC? They inquire as to who bought the jacket, the murder victim was wearing?  The proprietor shows them the digital  copy of the receipt and shows that the jacket sold for ~$7,200.00 but the tax on the receipt showed 8.75% tax in NYC (which is correct) but the total amount for the tax was $63.79. $63.00 tax on an item that costs $7299.00 and to show the receipt as a closeup???  WTF??IMG_0790.png.593273bf9ebe92ddfa23fbd092250063.png

• Love 1