Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E16: The One That Matters Most

Jaded
  • Start Topic

While Herrmann and house 51 members struggle to cope with an injury to one of their own, they also have to deal with the new temporary replacement; Boden thinks about some interesting news; Kidd struggles to keep a secret.

I am starting to think Otis is not coming back and he and Lily will move to the place (I forget) Lily mentioned a few episodes back. 

Cordova's little speech to Matt about being the "real deal" was funny. 

So what juicy action did Gabby and Cordova get into that needs to be told to Matt now that he staying for a while? 

Anthony Ferraris had a line tonight!

This would have been a perfect time to let Connie tell the ladies their cooking is terrible and to never come back!

Why is Boden concerned about missing action if he is promoted? Grissom proved that wrong by jumping in the rescue with Kelly.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:55 PM, mxc90 said:

This would have been a perfect time to let Connie tell the ladies their cooking is terrible and to never come back!

So true. I would have loved them to have had a line such as: "Can't Connie take care of this?" I wonder how they will write her out of the series. God, I miss her.

That mother/daughter combo would have known that they were not good cooks if their father was a chef.  They would have sent over their best sui chef..

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

I get that the crew is upset about Otis, but they carried on like petulant schoolchildren, Hermann in particular. What did they expect? They'd just be a man down for however long it took Otis is recover? The guy can't walk, it's not going to be a shift or two thing....although I give them two to three episodes before he is skipping through the door. I am sure they have people come and go all the time when people are on holidays/sick etc. It was kind of pathetic tbh.

And look another guest firefighter who is fat/lazy/incompetent/billigerent/troublemaker/#evilbadguyouttodestroy51 (delete descriptors not required this time)...how original.

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 9

Yeah, I didn't get what Herrmann's problem was with the new guy either. What is he, twelve?

So I'm guessing new guy and Gabby hooked up when she was in training - was she married to Matt yet at that point?

• Love 2

It was so unprofessional, particularly Hermann, who's definitely not a newbie, to behave that way. As soon as a floater sits too comfortably on a chair, they start treating them like it´s new guy´s fault someone else is injured/suspended. Although, Cordova's comment in the locker room about how Otis didn´t look like he would make it back anytime soon where out of place too.

I also thought is was unprofessional of Kelly to blow off Grissom´s dinner, which was work related, to go drink milkshakes with Stella. I know Kelly doesn´t want what Grissom´s offering, but he accepted only to be a no show, without even calling? Not cool. And I didn´t care for Stella´s advice either: "Maybe that´s not such a bad thing?" What, to look like a disrespectful child? Sure.

And lastly, I´m not sure why Gabriella needs to tell Casey about Cordova, if it was an affair. I mean, I understand why she would WANT him to know, but I don't think he HAS to know. Even though sometimes couples do tell each other about former lovers, etc,  now it´s not just about her, but she would be outing a guy to her husband who also happens to be the guy's current boss. Unless the secret is something else entirely.

• Love 3

So Stella and Kelly almost hit a pedestrian because they can't help themselves from kissing while Stella is driving.  Am I supposed to think this is romantic and they are meant to be?  I cannot warm up to her at all, and this episode did not help.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, izabella said:

So Stella and Kelly almost hit a pedestrian because they can't help themselves from kissing while Stella is driving.  Am I supposed to think this is romantic and they are meant to be?  I cannot warm up to her at all, and this episode did not help.

Then she has the nerve to yell at him after almost hitting him.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, minamurray78 said:

It was so unprofessional, particularly Hermann, who's definitely not a newbie, to behave that way. As soon as a floater sits too comfortably on a chair, they start treating them like it´s new guy´s fault someone else is injured/suspended. Although, Cordova's comment in the locker room about how Otis didn´t look like he would make it back anytime soon where out of place too.

I also thought is was unprofessional of Kelly to blow off Grissom´s dinner, which was work related, to go drink milkshakes with Stella. I know Kelly doesn´t want what Grissom´s offering, but he accepted only to be a no show, without even calling? Not cool. And I didn´t care for Stella´s advice either: "Maybe that´s not such a bad thing?" What, to look like a disrespectful child? Sure.

And lastly, I´m not sure why Gabriella needs to tell Casey about Cordova, if it was an affair. I mean, I understand why she would WANT him to know, but I don't think he HAS to know. Even though sometimes couples do tell each other about former lovers, etc,  now it´s not just about her, but she would be outing a guy to her husband who also happens to be the guy's current boss. Unless the secret is something else entirely.

Just another ploy by the writers to bring St. Gabby to the forefront of another arc.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, minamurray78 said:

Could you imagine the DRAMA if it was reversed and a new paramedic showed up that Casey had a fling with and he didn't tell the wifey. I think he deserves a heads up, Casey has no reason to be annoyed/jealous/pissed about it though, but a head's up would be nice. All she has to say is that we went out a couple of times.

And how about all the Anvils they dropped throughout the entire episode about 'secrets'

Of course you know the new dude is still going to be in love with her, declared her the world's greatest lover & admit that every other relationship he's ever had pales into insignificance. He probably hasn't been able to get it on since she dumped him.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, preeya said:

And that is one reason why they have a policy that married people aren't supposed to work at the same firehouse.   It is never not awkward, one way or another.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 1

Didn't like this episode as everyone but Cordova acted like babies. What is Cordova supposed to do when they are at the hospital visiting Otis? That's not fair of Otis to complain about Cordova either but Cordova's comment about Otis not walking was out of place too. 

I feel bad for Cordova and I think whatever secret there is, it will make him the bad guy somehow and that's really not fair. 

I think the ladies were too imposing but you have three other women there and they could have told them the cooking is not that good but I would think they would have eaten his food too. 

Btw, I thought Cruz knew how to drive the truck and since when did Stella learn how to drive? 

I think Boden just likes where he is at. 

Severide and Kidd I don't think will last long and I think Kidd will end up dying or leaving 51 and maybe with Cordova. 

Wrong for Severide to not call Grissom to tell him he couldn't make it but maybe Grissom has been a bit hard on Severide and expect too much. 

2 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

Btw, I thought Cruz knew how to drive the truck and since when did Stella learn how to drive? 

Well Cruz is on Squad now, so he wouldn´t be driving Truck 81, and well, neither Hermann nor Mouch ever cared about driving the truck before, I guess that went to Stella.

And I don´t want to speak ill of the, well, ill, but I got a bit annoyed at Otis, by calling Cordova a jerk for just "standing there" (??) and also, before that, when he´s about to get an MRI, he´s more concern that his girlfriend is going to leave him rather than the actual results. DUDE learn to love yourself first! Self-deprecation is endearing up to a certain point.

• Love 1

Maybe he wants to work a few shifts fIrst so the guys accept him.  I would think firefighters would be more homophobic than the general public but could be wrong. Maybe Gabby liked to accompany him to the bars and that was their special relationship.

• Love 2

Otis' girlfriend is great, hope she sticks around.

Can't say I care about Severide and Stella, she irritates me.

Meh on Gabby and her secret. I feel like she gets way more screen time than anyone else on this show.

• Love 3

I wonder who was taking care of the chef while his daughter and wife spent their entire day(s) cooking crap food at 51? Cruz (or anyone) could have just told them the house is vegetarians. 

Over Stella and Severide. 

Who was watching the firehouse every time the entire crew left for an Otis update? Does he not have any family? I would think his family from Russia would fly in to be at his bedside.

I can't believe everyone at the house thought Otis would be out for a "few" shifts. Even though Cordova was kind of a dick, at least he was realistic. Thinking of Cordova...I was pleasantly surprised about his reaction to Gabby. I figured the entire episode would be him lusting after her or confessing his undying love for her. 

Why is Dr. Cho still involved in Otis's care??

I have to admit, how could they have eaten it with the ladies there? I would think they would have noticed the food not being eaten and I realize you want to be nice to people but I think they needed to know the food stinks. I bet they don't eat the food and that's why they don't realize it stinks or tastes awful. 

The daughter, I recognize the actress and she was in Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders for two years before it got canceled. 

6 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Who was watching the firehouse every time the entire crew left for an Otis update? Does he not have any family? I would think his family from Russia would fly in to be at his bedside.

Wasn't Otis the one who had his grandmother (or great grandmother) around for a bit? Didn't Cruz date Otis' cousin in one of the earlier seasons? I might be remembering that wrong.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

Wasn't Otis the one who had his grandmother (or great grandmother) around for a bit? Didn't Cruz date Otis' cousin in one of the earlier seasons? I might be remembering that wrong.

Yes!! For both! That's why I think it's strange that there hasn't been at least one family member there. They haven't even mentioned his family. A simple throw away line of "Grandma is on her way from Russia" would be nice to hear.

• Love 3
On 30/03/2018 at 5:34 PM, iMonrey said:

Yeah, I didn't get what Herrmann's problem was with the new guy either. What is he, twelve?

So I'm guessing new guy and Gabby hooked up when she was in training - was she married to Matt yet at that point?

The writers do some really stupid stuff with their wonderful characters in this show at times. And they make them very OOC.

As regards Dawson and this new guy, l hope when he disappears she trots off with him because it turns out they were  up to something behind Casey's back.

Ah well...we can but wish and dream.   

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Quark said:

Otis' girlfriend is great, hope she sticks around.

Can't say I care about Severide and Stella, she irritates me.

Meh on Gabby and her secret. I feel like she gets way more screen time than anyone else on this show.

Gabby does get WAY to much screen time on this show and that's why there is so much dislike for her around. Viewers seem to be especially sick of her selfishness, her arrogance, her rude behaviour and her total blindness to Casey! Also sick of the writers making him put up with her and being her doormat. This show needs to look back to seasons 1 and 2 before she got her claws into Casey. That is the show people loved. It has gone downhill and Dawson is one of the main reasons for it. Along with a lot of other things to do with the writing and show running.

On 31/03/2018 at 5:49 AM, minamurray78 said:

Well hell, that would make Gaby a real bitch. What business of her is it whether a guy is out to his boss or not? 

Ah but EVERYTHING that happens in and out of the firehouse is Gabby Dawson's business don't ya know? URGH!

So sick of her.

• Love 4
On 31/03/2018 at 4:39 AM, Spike said:

Since they didn’t kill or disable him, I wish the writers would bring Mills back.  

Just so he could take Gabby away from Casey and he could find someone who deserves him. She clearly doesn't. So annoying to see him as her doormat. Idiotic writing.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 30/03/2018 at 11:34 PM, preeya said:

Just another ploy by the writers to bring St. Gabby to the forefront of another arc.

Yup that's for sure. Thank god it isn't the other way round and an old flame of Casey's hasnt shown up. Imagine the drama Dawson would make over that one! The Cordova arc is just so they can shove Dawson in our faces and she gets even more screen time. 

Edited by belletane
  • Love 2

It would have been better if Casey had to make Hermann face some consequence for his behavior. Kinda blows the whole Casey is a great leader thing if he chooses to ignore the unacceptable behavior of one of his men. Worried about Otis I get but physically assaulting his temporary replacement? Seriously? 

Oh Gabby. What nasty little secret is she harbouring and why does it make Casey leave her at Molly's and drive off into the night? Hopefully it's her complete undoing and she has to go elsewhere.

• Love 2

I probably was not paying attention that well, but was it said that Gabby met Cordova at training? Where did Gabby meet Stella? I thought they knew each other before. Also, if Gabby met Cordova at training, wasn't that other female firefighter that committed suicide that was at 51 for awhile someone Gabby met at training. I feel like I need a flow chart to keep all the characters that come out of the woodwork that the main characters either know or are related to straight.

I was automatically rooting for Cordova, because everyone else was an ass to him. Of course he will turn out to be a bad person or have some sort of issues, because very few new people last at 51.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CKTV123 said:

It would have been better if Casey had to make Hermann face some consequence for his behavior. Kinda blows the whole Casey is a great leader thing if he chooses to ignore the unacceptable behavior of one of his men. Worried about Otis I get but physically assaulting his temporary replacement? Seriously? 

Oh Gabby. What nasty little secret is she harbouring and why does it make Casey leave her at Molly's and drive off into the night? Hopefully it's her complete undoing and she has to go elsewhere.

Forget discipline.  Hermann could have been arrested.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-cfd-battery-20180328-story.html

• Love 1
On 3/29/2018 at 8:55 PM, mxc90 said:

I am starting to think Otis is not coming back and he and Lily will move to the place (I forget) Lily mentioned a few episodes back. 

I believe she wanted to move to Hawaii.  Otis and Lily are refreshing.  Nice to see them not hooking up with each other in the firehouse, although she is sort of connected of course by Molly's North.  If they just had them hooking up with randoms outside the Chicago universe, how interesting would that be, I suppose/

On 3/30/2018 at 2:54 PM, izabella said:

Seriously.  They live together, can screw each other all night and perhaps even in the shower while getting ready for work.  And then they still have to kiss while driving?  Come on.

On 3/30/2018 at 2:56 PM, LittleIggy said:

Then she has the nerve to yell at him after almost hitting him.

Nobody has mentioned that guy was of course Cordova.  I thought there would have been a brief mea culpa after morning report when they realized Cordova was that guy.

On 3/30/2018 at 9:18 PM, Reality police said:

Just got to watch this episode. I think you could be right. Why would he be so afraid of her telling about a relationship that happened ages ago?

I don't see how Cordova is gay.  Clearly Gaby and Cordova hooked up or dated when she was early in her career.  She didn't want to tell Casey about it because she thought he would be out of the house after a few shifts.  But now that he's staying for a while, she has to say something.  We saw Casey get into his truck in the preview and peel off apparently in a huff.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

Nobody has mentioned that guy was of course Cordova.

Just because the chief already told them there would be a replacement for Otis, and just because he was walking toward the firehouse at beginning of shift, wearing official uniform pants, how were they supposed to know he was a firefighter, right?

Nice to see them not hooking up with each other in the firehouse

Of course, if this was Shondaland, she would be banging him in the hospital bed.

20 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I wondered on both points myself. And I don't think his family is still in Russia - Otis speaks perfect, native English (and his real name is Brian, which would not be the case if he were born there.) We know his grandma is in Chicago, so presumably he also has parents and other relatives in the area. But of course, we saw nobody but Lily and the firehouse at his bedside.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was thinking along the same lines. It has to be more complicated than just a prior relationship. Maybe they had a baby and gave it up for adoption. Or Cordova's older sister is raising it. Have I been watching too many telenovelas?

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 3

You know it will be something inconsequential and eye-rolling nonsensical and blown way out of proportion and we will have to endure it being dragged out until the end of the season.

I mean this is the show that gave us the hamster storyline.

• Love 6
On March 30, 2018 at 11:59 PM, minamurray78 said:

Put yourself in Casey's place and think if you'd like to know if a new FF on your truck is your wife's ex... They need absolute trust on a team and no subconscious resentment.

besides, if Dawson was dating this Cordova guy while she was in the fire academy, then it means that she had cheated on Matt. Weren't they engaged at that time already? 

• Love 1
On March 31, 2018 at 4:07 AM, Guildford said:

Of course you know the new dude is still going to be in love with her, declared her the world's greatest lover & admit that every other relationship he's ever had pales into insignificance. He probably hasn't been able to get it on since she dumped him.

I think the writers will play it differently: either it was Cordova who dumped her or she dumped him after discovering that he was cheating on her. In any case, her delicate feelings were hurt and she'd be a victim...And poor Casey will end up looking like an insensitive jealous jerk...Bacause we all know that Princess Gabby can do no wrong, ugh :/

• Love 1
On 3/30/2018 at 2:59 PM, minamurray78 said:

And lastly, I´m not sure why Gabriella needs to tell Casey about Cordova, if it was an affair. I mean, I understand why she would WANT him to know, but I don't think he HAS to know. Even though sometimes couples do tell each other about former lovers, etc,  now it´s not just about her, but she would be outing a guy to her husband who also happens to be the guy's current boss.

On a related note, I always wondered if Casey knew that Gabby had slept with Jay Halstead, when PD was just kicking off (remember? they started introducing the new characters by having Jay come to Molly's undercover to get rid of the thug extorting money from them). I know it's not entirely the same, as they don't work directly with Halstead, but they DO work with Intelligence fairly often on a variety of things. I think, though, that TPTB kind of pretend that never happened...when new characters/shows are just getting introduced, it often seems like the writers aren't 100% sure who the character really is as a person or what direction the show will head in (e.g. remember when Gabby wanted to be a doctor?) So this is probably another of those things.

• Love 2