Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: The House of Getty

Drogo

Trust delves into the trials and triumphs of one of the twentieth century's most iconic dynasties, the Gettys, and explores the complexities at the heart of every family, rich or poor. The series begins in 1973 with the kidnapping of John Paul Getty III.

Well that was decent. I didn't understand about the 4 women so had to look it up. JPG#1 was indeed a weird skin flint which is odd considering the size of the house. 

DS does resemble JPG.

• Love 3

I know rich people have servants to do everything for them, but seriously, JP1 couldn't brush his own teeth?

Just about every person was depicted as an asshole so it was hard for me to feel sorry for any of them. Whenever I see a bunch of money grubbing relatives, I think about how lucky I am that my family isn't rich enough to have these problems.

JP2 only showed up in the hopes of getting into the family business so he could get his hands back on the Getty money. JP3 was ass kissing so that he could get $6K to pay off his debts. Then he had the nerve to say that it was HIS money anyway because it was his inheritance. Really, people? Just because you have a rich relative doesn't mean that said relative is required to ever give you a single penny. It's mindboggling how entitled people feel to receive someone else's mnney.

JP1, on the other hand, was also a piece of work, pitting his girlfriends against each other just for fun. The pay phone in his house was a real thing. He didn't want to pay for other people's long distance phone calls.

• Love 8

I became semi-fascinated with this story after watching All the Money in the World, and when I saw Brendan Fraser was attached, that was the icing on the cake to watch. THEN I saw that Danny Boyle is directing, so it's must see, for me. Sutherland's Getty is even more loathsome and abysmal and ugly than Christopher Plummers version. The film didn't bother with harem or sexual proclivities, so that part of the story is mostly new to me. Also: gross.

That opening scene---George Getty in the garage with a barbeque fork--was horrifying and riveting. (if maybe not quite true).

I loved the kid who played JP3 in the film (Charlie Plummer) but I think this iteration may be pretty great too.

I think next week's features much more Fletcher Chace/Brendan Fraser, so yay.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

There needs to be a rating for animal violence.  All of that fowl carnage was just gross.

I actually just came on this site to ask if more animals/birds were killed in the name of entertainment? I only lasted through the bird caught in the fence, the birds being killed in the fields and the black swan run over just for kicks apparently. (Since the idiot driving could easily have moved over the avoid the bird). So I lasted about 10 minutes and turned the channel. Can anyone let me know if more animals/birds are killed, or is it safe to watch the rest of the episode? I hate gratuitous violence against animals so will not watch this series if it appears that it might be an ongoing theme. Kill all the people you want, but leave the animals alone. 

• Love 10

Ugh, yes, the bird carnage. Honestly, I closed my eyes and tuned out until I knew that was over, so I don't really know what happened. If there was more after that, I missed it. That is generally enough to get me to stop watching too, and I hope it doesn't become any kind of trend, or i'll be out as well.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Just about every person was depicted as an asshole so it was hard for me to feel sorry for any of them. Whenever I see a bunch of money grubbing relatives, I think about how lucky I am that my family isn't rich enough to have these problems.

I had a neighbor growing up whose parents were millionaires a few times over and lived in a regular middle class home.  The kids, and the rest of us, had no idea they were rich.  They worked regular teen jobs, bought their own cars, did chores etc.  They would go away to a cottage up north (Michigan) each summer.  This in itself was no big deal for many people had tiny cottages.  I was invited one year and this "cottage" was a mansion on a lake with 7 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms and a cook and a maid.  Holy shit!  My parents said they also owned an island off the coast of Florida that none of the kids ever went to.  Those 3 kids are the most level headed and normal adults.  They all inherited money when the dad died and still raise their own families in middle class homes like they did.  Smart move.

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Those big black birds in the yard became dinner,

How very British!

Did Getty turn on his grandson because he was listening in on the kid's phone call?  I was at the stove and missed that part.

I am enjoying the series.  I wish they would rerun their series.  I would love to watch The Feud again.

Edited by jumper sage
2 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Did Getty turn on his grandson because he was listening in on the kid's phone call?  I was at the stove and missed that part.

He turned after the kid's father showed him the magazine with the kid as the centerfold.  Accompanying photos showed a wild lifestyle, including drugs. 

Hard to believe the kid is just 16 -- did he really know about Italian marble, art, etc.?  (The actor playing him is gorgeous.)

• Love 3
12 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

He turned after the kid's father showed him the magazine with the kid as the centerfold.  Accompanying photos showed a wild lifestyle, including drugs. 

Hard to believe the kid is just 16 -- did he really know about Italian marble, art, etc.?  (The actor playing him is gorgeous.)

Thanks I really should make dinner before my shows.

I think the kid was very well educated, at least by his mother.  He lived with her in Italy and by all accounts she was a good mother.  Nice of the dad to do the kid in.

Thanks @ElectricBoogaloo the articles were great and I fell down the Vanity Fair rabbit hole and read all the other articles on the topic.  I miss my Vanity Fair subscription.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 4

True story, talented cast, impressive music, quality production values, schadenfreude for rich assholes all over the place, and it's so damn juicy--what's not to love?

Okay, the bird abuse is seriously "not to love."  Cut that out, Danny Boyle!

The person lurking in the shadows listening to Getty III on the pay phone was the butler--such an intriguing character.  I hope his information-gathering and contempt for his employers somehow comes to fruition.  I'm not familiar with the actor, but he's doing a stellar job.

• Love 4

Really interesting watching this with All the Money in the World still fresh in my mind, but I think I can see it as its own thing/take and enjoy as is.  Still found myself comparing a few things, especially the portrayals of J. Paul Getty.  Donald Sutherland was excellent as always, but his version definitely was more in line as a vain, sadistic, arrogant type of egomaniac, while Christopher Plummer's version in the film was chilling, but he was more of a cold, calculating, and strangely logical type of a businessman, who was ruthless, but didn't seem to really take pleasure in being mean to others.  Still, I'm curious to see how Getty turns out.  They definitely aren't holding back on showing his crazy, "eccentric" side, like having a "harem" of girlfriends and needing some guy to read him erotica before sex, in order to get him up (or try to, in this case..)

Everyone else has been well-cast as well.  The guy playing Getty III seems to fit the role, and Michael Esper (Getty Jr.) always excels at these types of role.  It will probably take me a while to remember the names of Getty's girlfriends though.  I know Penelope at least, but the rest are a) younger, hotter one and b) the other two.

Looking forward to seeing more of Brendan Fraser as Fletcher, especially after Wahlberg's version.  Star of The Mummy trilogy> Star of the latter Transformer films any day of the week!

Definitely could tell that Danny Boyle was behind the camera, because it certainly the classic Boyle flair at times!

Production values were top notch.  Well, it was obvious that the lion wasn't in the same room as the actors, but that's always understandable for security reasons.  No one wants to be the show that is responsible for an "Actor Donald Sutherland mauled by a lion on set of new show" headline.

• Love 3

Hmm, came to get a read on things before I delved into this, thanks for the heads up on the animal stuff. Guess I'll wait another few episodes to try it. Yes, I'm one of those people.

• Love 2

Damn, rich people are weird.

I couldn't tell what the butler's name was but every time someone said it, it sounded like Voldemort, so I'm just gonna call him Voldemort.

It's so funny that this and All the Money in the World (which I did not see) came out around the same time. I'd actually never heard of the Getty family before these two dramatizations which disappoints me because it's exactly the kind of truth-is-stranger than fiction craziness I am into. I didn't have any desire to see the film version (though I respect Ridley Scott's dedication to switching Spacey out for Plummer, that sort of quick turnaround is virtually unheard of in the industry these days and it's amazing that they pulled it off) but this appealed to me because it looked slightly less serious, more black comedy, which I'm into.

Yeah, I can't fathom why any of those women stick around (except maybe the youngest one, who seems a bit dim). I get they have a living allowance and get to stay on that insane property but is sharing a bum lay with three other women really worth it? The oldest one, Penelope, seems like she'd be much happier doing her own thing elsewhere.

The actor playing JP3 is so handsome. I could stare at him all day.

That lion was equally gorgeous. Unwise purchase but damn. Beautiful.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I couldn't tell what the butler's name was but every time someone said it, it sounded like Voldemort, so I'm just gonna call him Voldemort.

Ha, same here! I had to google to find out that Voldemore's name on the show is Bullimore.

• Love 3
On 3/29/2018 at 12:57 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ha, same here! I had to google to find out that Voldemore's name on the show is Bullimore.

That's so funny. I couldn't quite make out his name either, so I just took to thinking of him as Voldemort. I'm glad to get his name clarified. He was my favorite character in the first episode.  I wonder if Bullimore was real or just a made up character for the show. It doesn't  matter, really. He fit the narrative perfectly: grotesquely wealthy oil baron, sumptuous mansion filled with museum class art, a harem of international beauties, and a roomful of disappointing heirs who hate their father but love his wealth. Of course Getty would have a long-suffering butler who tends to the old miser's every needs but then urges the grandson to run far away. 

• Love 3

I’m thankful other people have already commented on this, but I just wanted to say something about it too, albeit too little too late. I’m truly horrified by this depiction of violence against animals. It’s literally sickening to me and I’m gutted about it, especially because I think – although I hope (against better wishes) it isn’t so – that it was real. I always thought the US had such strict rules about animals not being hurt for the purpose of entertainment. I’m shocked animals apparently aren’t legally protected in movies or series! This depicted animal cruelty is too f***ed up for words. I managed to fast forward to most of the scene with the crow, but the other scenes really caught me off guard.

Depiction of animal cruelty is despicable as it is, simply as a matter of principle and because it’s unnecessary and abject, but it’s at least a consolation when you clearly see it’s created by computer generated imagery, but this? I’m speechless and so sad and infuriated by it…

I thought the series was good, but I don’t think I can and will watch it any further.

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, Anna Oblomova said:

I’m thankful other people have already commented on this, but I just wanted to say something about it too, albeit too little too late. I’m truly horrified by this depiction of violence against animals. It’s literally sickening to me and I’m gutted about it, especially because I think – although I hope (against better wishes) it isn’t so – that it was real. I always thought the US had such strict rules about animals not being hurt for the purpose of entertainment. I’m shocked animals apparently aren’t legally protected in movies or series! This depicted animal cruelty is too f***ed up for words. I managed to fast forward to most of the scene with the crow, but the other scenes really caught me off guard.

Depiction of animal cruelty is despicable as it is, simply as a matter of principle and because it’s unnecessary and abject, but it’s at least a consolation when you clearly see it’s created by computer generated imagery, but this? I’m speechless and so sad and infuriated by it…

I thought the series was good, but I don’t think I can and will watch it any further.

I don't think the scene where the swan was hit and run over by cars was real. The scene was meant to show in graphic detail how grotesque and ruthless  the super rich really are. They are surrounded by beauty, luxury, and rare creatures and objects, but they really value nothing except their own wealth and power. That scene was symbolic foreshadowing for the fate of young JP Getty III. The director wanted the audience to be repulsed by the Gettys right away and not get seduced by their seemingly glamourous lifestyle.

Edited by PipPop
  • Love 4
On 3/31/2018 at 8:22 PM, Anna Oblomova said:

Those were just really excellent special effects/clever camera work. It is against US law to harm or kill animals for entertainment purposes. There was likely an animal wrangler onset to make sure the geese were treated humanely. You can see it in the way that it's shot. We don't actually see the car hit the goose, just the after effects of it driving away and the carcass left behind.

Also do you know how many takes they would have needed to get that exactly right? Good luck getting any professional stunt driver to run over countless geese until the DP got the shot they wanted.

• Love 6

I took me a while to figure out that Chase was Brendan Fraser - awesome!

I will say that being this is the third mini series from FX I am impressed with the casting and production.  I say this but must admit the casting of OJ Simpson was terrible while the others were cast beautifully.

• Love 1
(edited)

The entry of the grandson was potentially a point of interest, but, it seemed that the dialogue was awkward and the actions of the grandson seemed fake....almost like a high school play.  Particularly, the scene in the bedroom where he deals with the butler.  I just didn't buy it.  

This show is really something that is right up my ally, but, I'm just not feeling it. I wish I was. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

JP Getty was once quoted as saying something like, "Money has nothing to do with happiness, but probably has everything to do with unhappiness." Watching Trust confirms just that, and unfortunately doesn't bring me any happiness either. I shut it off when the sex scene happened. Any show that needs to titillate to get an audience is void of talent. I am a DS and BF fan, but both are stunted by a stale script and jerky uneven directing. Hard to get interested in a show about a bunch of people who have no concept of what it means to be human. If there is some semblance of truth to the show, I feel sorry for the Getty family and anyone remotely associated with this circus of misfits.

• Love 1

Loved it!!!

When Theresa appeared, I laughed for about 5 minutes straight and kept rewinding to that scene. A really great cast, especially with Anna Chancellor and Donald Sutherland.

I didn't recognize the lead actor from "Beach Rats" at all in his transformation into JPG III.

33 minutes ago, madmanmike said:

Hard to get interested in a show about a bunch of people who have no concept of what it means to be human.

One of most revealing scenes, I thought, was when Getty III mentions that he knows about the friezes, and even comments about one of them.  Getty I actually smiles, almost breaking his face, and gives the ever-so-fleeting impression that he might actually have something in common with this young squirt. Of course, it all goes downhill from there.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Dowel Jones said:

One of most revealing scenes, I thought, was when Getty III mentions that he knows about the friezes, and even comments about one of them.  Getty I actually smiles, almost breaking his face, and gives the ever-so-fleeting impression that he might actually have something in common with this young squirt. Of course, it all goes downhill from there.

20 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Those were just really excellent special effects/clever camera work. It is against US law to harm or kill animals for entertainment purposes. 

Exactly. Those scenes didn't bother me at all, because even with the shock value of seeing those swans killed, it provided further more background in how crazy Getty's life was.

10 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I took me a while to figure out that Chase was Brendan Fraser - awesome!

I will say that being this is the third mini series from FX I am impressed with the casting and production.  I say this but must admit the casting of OJ Simpson was terrible while the others were cast beautifully.

Sadly, I think that ANY actor cast in the role of OJ Simpson would never get any sort of positive accolades. I don't think that Cuba wasn't able to portray the real life person, it is just that Simpson became a waste a space (especially during the years after the verdict) and there is literally nothing that could make him "understandable to viewers".

• Love 1
2 hours ago, vixenbynight said:

Sadly, I think that ANY actor cast in the role of OJ Simpson would never get any sort of positive accolades. I don't think that Cuba wasn't able to portray the real life person, it is just that Simpson became a waste a space (especially during the years after the verdict) and there is literally nothing that could make him "understandable to viewers".

I can see your point.  I just don't think Cuba pulled off the physical presence of OJ.  I think Cuba is a good actor but even someone like Denzel Washington who is the same height and has the same presence would have been better.  YMMV.

The actor playing Getty's grandson is good, but it's ridiculous that they're trying to pass him off as 15. He's clearly significantly older than that. And Getty's grandson was 16 in real life, so why make the character even younger?

I thought that Gail (Hillary Swank) said at one point that "He's only 16".  I may have misheard.  I was surprised at the comment, as I thought, based on the actor, that JP3 was an adult at the time.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:37 PM, walnutqueen said:

Is there anything remotely redeemable about this show? 

Well, Donald Sutherland won an Emmy in the first 20 minutes as far as I'm concerned, so other than that, you mean?

On 3/28/2018 at 10:17 PM, helenamonster said:

Yeah, I can't fathom why any of those women stick around (except maybe the youngest one, who seems a bit dim). I get they have a living allowance and get to stay on that insane property but is sharing a bum lay with three other women really worth it? The oldest one, Penelope, seems like she'd be much happier doing her own thing elsewhere.

I think sharing sexual duties with other women would be the only way I could stand being with someone that gross. In fact, get as many women in there as possible would be MY agenda! Less time that I have to spend having sex with him!

I wonder what keeps them there, but I'm guessing that the way he deals with family, they have NO assets of their own, and no way to build any since he probably doesn't even give the women gifts in their own name. They probably don't have jewels they could take after the relationship to sell, or their own cars, or possibly even clothes. I would also be fearful of the living hell a man with that much power could make of your life if you turned on him. The youngest probably thought she'd won the lottery when he came along, but the oldest one may have fewer options than you think for restarting her life. She was also the one who thought she had a real relationship with him initially... the others should have been clear from the start that they were concubines to her "firt wife" status. I'd be squirreling away anything I could from the crumbs he allows, so that I could get out and not be destitute when he tried to take it all back.

Or maybe they are willing to put up with it all just to live a wealthy life... who knows?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, slothgirl said:

Well, Donald Sutherland won an Emmy in the first 20 minutes as far as I'm concerned, so other than that, you mean?

I think sharing sexual duties with other women would be the only way I could stand being with someone that gross. In fact, get as many women in there as possible would be MY agenda! Less time that I have to spend having sex with him!

I wonder what keeps them there, but I'm guessing that the way he deals with family, they have NO assets of their own, and no way to build any since he probably doesn't even give the women gifts in their own name. They probably don't have jewels they could take after the relationship to sell, or their own cars, or possibly even clothes. I would also be fearful of the living hell a man with that much power could make of your life if you turned on him. The youngest probably thought she'd won the lottery when he came along, but the oldest one may have fewer options than you think for restarting her life. She was also the one who thought she had a real relationship with him initially... the others should have been clear from the start that they were concubines to her "firt wife" status. I'd be squirreling away anything I could from the crumbs he allows, so that I could get out and not be destitute when he tried to take it all back.

Or maybe they are willing to put up with it all just to live a wealthy life... who knows?

Honestly, it reminded me of all the girls willing to be Hugh Hefner's "girlfriends" in exchange for free room and board, meals, going to parties, and various benefits like plastic surgery.

• Love 3
On 3/26/2018 at 8:52 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

They were his girlfriends?? I didn't have the sound up as much as I should have, because I'm afraid it is too loud for the dogs, and I can't find the batteries for my headphones. I thought they were his daughters, or married to his sons. Gross. 

I wouldn't mind having that much money. I'm still watching the episode, so I'll hopefully be able to fast-forward through gross stuff.

On 4/1/2018 at 11:53 AM, PipPop said:

I don't think the scene where the swan was hit and run over by cars was real. The scene was meant to show in graphic detail how grotesque and ruthless  the super rich really are. They are surrounded by beauty, luxury, and rare creatures and objects, but they really value nothing except their own wealth and power. That scene was symbolic foreshadowing for the fate of young JP Getty III. The director wanted the audience to be repulsed by the Gettys right away and not get seduced by their seemingly glamourous lifestyle.

It worked.

I only watched the first episode of this series and posted in this thread at how disgusted I was at animals being killed in this episode. I never thought actual animals were killed in the name of entertainment as, as others have pointed out, I am pretty sure that is against the law. Never the less I still objected to animals depicted being harmed as apparently one of the ways to show how ruthless Getty was. Totally not necessary, IMO.

I was wondering how the rating were doing for this series, and it seems like it is losing viewers every week. The first week in the all important 18-49 demographic, it had .796 million viewers, followed by .736 the second week, .602 the third and .495 this past week. I don't know how many here may have watched the movie "All the Money in the World", but I did watch it recently as I find the subject fascinating, but was not impressed by the first show of this series. The movie was very well done, and Christopher Plummer was brilliant as JPG. He was able to convey JPG's personality without being one dimensional which is how I found Sutherland's portrayal in the short time I did watch him. 

On 3/28/2018 at 10:17 PM, helenamonster said:

On 3/29/2018 at 12:57 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

On 3/31/2018 at 1:24 PM, PipPop said:

That's so funny. I couldn't quite make out his name either, so I just took to thinking of him as Voldemort. 

A curse on each of you!  After 5 episodes, and KNOWING his name is Bullimore, I still hear Voldemort because of you!  So thanks a lot!  LOL

• Love 3