Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: The Day before He Died

Annalise helps the “Keating 4” concoct a plan to prepare for another round of questioning after detectives get a break involving Simon’s case. Meanwhile, Laurel discovers new details about the night Wes was killed which lead to a surprising confrontation.

Meh. It was nice seeing Alfred Enoch again, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the reveal of who killed Wes.

I hope Bonnie's not dead. I still like her.

I loved Oliver suddenly becoming super interested in his Chinese food once the issue of Michaela and Asher's relationship came up. Too funny.

• Love 6

I felt mixed on Alfred returning for the flashbacks. On the one hand, it was nice to see him again. On the other hand, it reminded me that I haven't missed Wes at all and Wes/Laurel together somehow dragged down the show. Also, super SUPER glad they didn't have some bullshit reveal about Wes being alive because Laurel's mother faked his death, or some stupid shit like that. Wait, I didn't just jinx that, did I? 

I refuse to believe that that was Bonnie in that flipped over car. They never said it was Bonnie, they never showed Bonnie getting into the crash, so I'll choose to believe Denver has a similar car. I don't care if we've already seen him in some other car. 

Well, Asher piecing things together really quickly was surprising. Again, when they give Matt McGorry some dramatic material instead of just comedic material, he delivers. 

• Love 14

Michaela having feelings for Marcus? Yea, ok show. RME. I knew I would find her explanation for cheating underwhelming. 

I liked Wes so it was. good to see him again but I will never buy this Wes and Laurel are an epic love story that HTGAWM is trying to sell. I am hoping all the Castillos save the baby die at the end of this season. 

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, Chick2Chic said:

Michaela having feelings for Marcus? Yea, ok show. RME. I knew I would find her explanation for cheating underwhelming. 

I did like her trying to talk through everything with Laurel, though. 

And I liked Connor's talk with her, too-his comments didn't come from a place of judgment, they came off more like advice from somebody who's been there and remembers the mistakes he made, and is trying to make things right. Plus, I just like seeing them talk in general, 'cause it reminded me of how they've forged kind of an odd friendship over the years. 

• Love 14

Loved seeing Tegan again. Although she was wrong, Anneliese looked lovely and at the top of her game. Even liked AK telling Frank it's time to forgive themselves, even if they don't deserve it. About time!

Seems like the Isaac storyline has wrapped up, although I was unsure why Isaac said "this is the last time we'll see each other" or something to that effect. I kept expecting Jacqueline to show up and start something.

Did Simon just sign his own death warrant with Laurel's dad?

Bravo Mikaela facing down the detective. Was she confronting Tegan to buy Oliver more time with Simon? I do buy her being conflicted about Marcus. He's ambitious, he's got serious clout and he's keeping it real. He could very easily be Barack to her Michelle--he's got a great political career ahead of him, and she's always had that dream of being part of a power couple.  I did roll my eyes at Connor. Who is he to judge? And Oliver and Connor could have said to Asher that they were squicked out hearing about what he and Mikaela did (or couldn't do) in bed, instead of inadvertently falling into a very meaningful silence. I really felt for him when he was yelling at her, and for her too.

Did Laurel feel safe confronting Denver, because she knew he wouldn't dare do anything to her, knowing who her father was?

How are we already coming up on the season finale?!?!?!

• Love 3

This episode served as a nice reminder that Alfred Enoch is a terrible actor, so thanks for that, show.  I also still don't care who ordered the hit on Wes, especially since I think we all expected it to be Mama Castillo.

The best scene in the episode was Asher confronting Michaela, and it barely lasted a minute; McGorry and King were killing it.  I did like Michaela's scenes with Connor and Laurel, even if her cheating made no sense (and the writers' attempts at retroactively justifying it were bullshit).

I love Tegan.

I love how all of this Simon bullshit is COMPLETELY Laurel's fault, and she was literally the only person not involved in that crisis.  Until the very end when she ruined Annalise's actual solution to said crisis.

Annalise and Connor should have told the others they were on their own and peaced out; they really had nothing to do with Laurel's stupid plan.

I don't like it when they make Oliver a central part of anything because Conrad Ricamora can't really handle it as an actor.

I admit it: I'm really bitchy today because I just watched episodes of four different shows, and three of them were terrible; this one wasn't (at least not by this show's standards), but I'm just being ornery.

Awww, Bon-bon! :-(

• Love 2

Did Laurel not only cause Wes’ death, but now Bonnie’s? She sucks!!!! I can’t even begin to care about her losing the baby to her father. That entire family is awful. 

That reveal about who killed Wes was “meh” so basically Mommy Castillo  called Daddy Castillo and Daddy Castillo called Dominic. Big whoop! Again, this family SUCKS!!!!

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Was there supposed to be doubt that Mrs. Castillo did it? I thought we figured that out when she showed up. 

Well, the original version was that Dominic did it at the behest of Papa Castillo. Then with the revelation that Mama Castillo somehow knew Wes as "Christophe," there was the suggestion that Dominic did it at the behest of her. Now, apparently (haven't yet watched the ep, too busy mainlining Jessica Jones), the revelation was that Dominic did it at the behest of both of the elder Castillos. Which...kinda sucks as a twist. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm not convinced it was Bonnie in the accident, it almost seems too obvious.  I'm wondering if it could have been Laurel.  

Edited by Fable

I know Simon accidentally shot himself in the head being an idiot playing with a gun and I know he was a jackass, but seriously, this group of people are pretty damn horrible that most were actively wishing for this man to die/disappear/not recover and remain a vegetable to cover their own asses. Like, why am I rooting for any of them to get away with this crap? They're bullying a brain damaged man who they framed and whose life they were all too willing to blow up into doing their bidding to cover their own asses. They all suck.

Having said that the nastiest of them all, Frank, I actually like for some reason, LOL. I think it's because he's honest about who he is and is like whatever about it. The rest of the crew alternately gnash and pull at their clothes and angst and then flip to 'whoever' had it coming and/or it's them or me so...no...you aren't nice people who got caught up in stuff...not anymore.

I feel like the K4 are basically being molded into the next gen Annalise Keatings/Bonnie Winterbottoms. All the crap they're going through is them being forged in fire to be as ruthless and methodical as she is. I think ultimately at series finale time that one of these guys will be left standing as they turn the tables on the group and basically get away with murder.

Not that anyone in show would cry tears over him like Wes, but if anyone is dying next week, I think it'll be Frank. He already said that he'd die before he'd let Bonnie get hurt and he'll get Laurel her baby back if it's the last thing he does. I think Frank will finally get his due, but it'll be in doing the noble/right thing for once when it's all said and done and the hook will be he knew something or where someone was or the killer will be Wes!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Like, why am I rooting for any of them to get away with this crap?

I don't think anybody is asking you to root for these people; and I don't know why you need anybody to root for, I root for the story.

I think the best scene in this episode, was between Asher and Michaela, and I wish that scene could have gone on longer.  Asher was right, Michaela needs to ask herself what she wants in life, what she wants in a man.  Marcus is everything she dreamed of, a smart, successful, black man.  I think she loves and cares about Asher, but she can't get past what he's not, and that's sad.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Like, why am I rooting for any of them to get away with this crap? They're bullying a brain damaged man who they framed and whose life they were all too willing to blow up into doing their bidding to cover their own asses. They all suck.

They do all suck, but as someone mentioned to me - when I broke down all of the evil acts of everyone on the show - "What's the name of the show?" It's called, "How to Get Away With Murder." So I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they're all terrible people and they're all getting away with murder. It's right there in the title. 

I'm slowly starting to like Connor and this episode solidified it. He actually does recognize his mistakes. On the other hand I'm starting to dislike Michaela only because she never seems to recognize how much she damages her own life. 

Also I like Alfred Enoch but boy did I never need to see Wes again. They just won't let that boy stay dead.

I still want someone to tell Laurel that until she gets over whatever damage she has because of Wes' death when they only dated for 5 cosmic seconds she doesn't deserve to have that child. It's like whatever made Wes the root of all of their issues has now jumped onto her. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, FiveByFive said:

Also I like Alfred Enoch but boy did I never need to see Wes again. They just won't let that boy stay dead.

Oh God, me too! And I loved Wes from episode 1. But the mystery of who killed Wes was already solved last season. I can only think that they've dredged it up and dragged it out for a second season because they've run out of ideas. And that makes me sad.

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

I think the best scene in this episode, was between Asher and Michaela, and I wish that scene could have gone on longer.  Asher was right, Michaela needs to ask herself what she wants in life, what she wants in a man.  Marcus is everything she dreamed of, a smart, successful, black man.  I think she loves and cares about Asher, but she can't get past what he's not, and that's sad.

I loved that scene too. The show is at its best when it focuses on this type of character-driven conflict. 

With the finale being next week, I don't think we're going to end the season without another dead body. Maybe Simon, or Denver?

• Love 5

The only thing keeping me holding onto the hope that Bonnie isn't dead is that they didn't actually show who the body was. I do get the feeling this season is gonna see another major character bumped off before it's over (so, sometime in the next episode) but they've been telegraphing it being Bonnie so hard for so long that I feel like it has to be somebody else.

I will say, for how this show writes by the seat of their pants, the reveal that Sandrine had reached out to Wes--and told him about Laurel's habit of trying to fix men and then leaving them when she can't--folded really well into the last argument Laurel and Wes had before he died. Like, I know the show didn't plan that because they don't really plan anything, but I was really stunned at how nicely fleshed out that fight now seems with the context that we now have.

I'm glad they didn't drag out the Asher/Michaela reveal...that scene where he found out, as well as the Michaela/Connor and Michaela/Laurel ones were my favorite of the episode. However, I do think Asher is going to snap again. He's never made any steps to address his temper.

On 3/9/2018 at 2:01 AM, Kaiju Ballet said:

Seems like the Isaac storyline has wrapped up, although I was unsure why Isaac said "this is the last time we'll see each other" or something to that effect. I kept expecting Jacqueline to show up and start something.

I think Jacqueline said last week that he'd gone into renal failure after the overdose and that he'd need a kidney transplant. A transplant is a hard enough thing to guarantee as it is, but a former addict especially will get bumped down the list--unless a friend or family member is willing to give him one of theirs and is a match, I think he's getting ready to say some last goodbyes.

• Love 3

I did like Michaela's scenes with Connor and Laurel, even if her cheating made no sense (and the writers' attempts at retroactively justifying it were bullshit).

Yeah, I wish they had just let her own it like, "You're great and all, Asher, but I had the opportunity to get some choice strange and I took it." If Michaela doesn't appreciate what she has in Asher, or if his lack of melanin really is the issue for her, I think she should let him go. He shouldn't have to feel like she settled for him because she couldn't get what she really wanted.

If anyone's collecting votes, I don't think that body was Bonnie either and won't believe it until we see her corpse.

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:57 PM, Neurochick said:

I don't think anybody is asking you to root for these people; and I don't know why you need anybody to root for, I root for the story.

I wish that the show would play that beat and delve into Michaela struggling with wanting that Black man that she has always wanted and how that keeps her from having a good life with Asher.  It would be a really good story for the show to tackle.  

• Love 3

I liked it but we've had stronger penultimate episodes.

Sandrine playing a role in Wes's death seems a bit anticlimatic considering that it was telegraphed for several week. I did like the confrontation scene with Laurel though.

I also liked Asher calling Michaela out over Marcus and her issues with the type of men she wants to be with.

Michaela had some great scenes with Connor, Laurel and Tegan in this episode as well.

Love how this gang go from considering putting a pillow over Simon's face to forcing Oliver to marry him before Annalise came up with a somewhat saner solution.

Annalise also had some great scenes with Nate, Isaac and Frank in this one.

I don't think Bonnie is dead but someone obviously will be next week though, 7/10

• Love 2

Question about spousal privilege: my understanding is that you can claim spousal privilege and can't be compelled to testify. But I thought you could still testify against a spouse if you wanted to, right? So Oliver marrying Simon wouldn't necessarily protect them, if Simon decided to testify anyway.

Not that I think it would be a good idea in either case, but I wanted to check if my understanding was correct.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Question about spousal privilege: my understanding is that you can claim spousal privilege and can't be compelled to testify. But I thought you could still testify against a spouse if you wanted to, right? So Oliver marrying Simon wouldn't necessarily protect them, if Simon decided to testify anyway.

Not that I think it would be a good idea in either case, but I wanted to check if my understanding was correct.

Yes, witness-spouses can testify if they choose to, but can't be compelled to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spousal_privilege

It should also be said that hypothetically Simon still could be forced to testify against any/all of the OG K4, as they would not be married to him.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 2

If Bonnie is actually dead because car, I will be super disappointed in both this show and Annaliese/Frank. Until we see otherwise, I prefer to believe that Frank used the information that the car was hazardous to set up Denver (seriously, would Frank really have left Bonnie drive a car HE wouldn't have driven?), and Nate helped out. Plus, after Wes, I'd prefer that the show didn't keep killing its core cast members, and I love Liza Weil. I think they might kill off Simon and/or Denver to put a kibosh to either or both of those storylines going into next year.

• Love 2

Don't believe Bonnie is dead for a second. If she was, I see no reason for why they'd leave the episode with it merely implied instead of having Nate outright say it or show us the body. It would've been a much stronger/shocking ending leading into the finale that way, instead of leaving it as a question and then starting the next episode with it.

I think it's either Tegan or Denver, which would make the K4 looks super shady with their current investigation.

• Love 1
On 3/10/2018 at 11:14 AM, FiveByFive said:

I still want someone to tell Laurel that until she gets over whatever damage she has because of Wes' death when they only dated for 5 cosmic seconds she doesn't deserve to have that child. It's like whatever made Wes the root of all of their issues has now jumped onto her. 

little harsh. They fiends before they dated and she found out she carrying his baby and that his dead pretty much at the same time so saying"get over it" kinda heartless. And every mother deserves to have there child unless they are harmful to the child no one can say she bad mother as she not even had chance to be one. Laurel not my favorite by any means but in less than a year her good friend/boyfriend/father of her child has been murded she had to face fact she going be a young single mother she went through  very traumatic birth and had her son snatch away from her before she even got to look at him let alone  hold him so don't thin fair to expected to just "get over it"

Edited by project90
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, project90 said:

And every mother deserves to have there child unless they are harmful to the child no one can say she bad mother as she not even had chance to be one. Laurel not my favorite by any means but in less than a year her good friend/boyfriend/father of her child has been murded she had to face fact she going be a young single mother she went through  very traumatic birth and had her son snatch away from her before she even got to look at him let alone  hold him so don't thin fair to expected to just "get over it"

Because she has decided to chase down Wes' killer and bring down her father:

• Simon was shot in the head because her friends were investigating on her behalf and trying to frame him
  • Her "friend" Dominick was killed by Frank while interrogating him on her behalf
  • She gave birth to the child in an elevator and the child wouldn't be alive if not for Annalise and that only happened because of Frank and the incident with Simon
  • This chase may have also possibly just gotten Bonnie killed and if she's not dead she's still on Denver's hitlist.

And despite losing custody of the child at the moment she's still trying to - not just find Wes' killer - but bring down her father. Until she settles down she is wreaking havoc on everyone else who are all participating because they care about her and Wes. If all she wanted was her child and to find Wes' killer there are better ways to go about it but she has never really stopped to think about it.

• Love 3

To be fair, though, the plot with Frank killing Sam's sorority girl preceded the K5. Annaliese might have dealt with the fallout from that somehow anyway. Wasn't Jessica originally the girl's friend and already looking into it? (Memory fades!)

3 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

To be fair, though, the plot with Frank killing Sam's sorority girl preceded the K5. Annaliese might have dealt with the fallout from that somehow anyway. Wasn't Jessica originally the girl's friend and already looking into it? (Memory fades!)

Rebecca?

But yes, technically everything started with Sam, Lila and Frank and snowballed from there.

The who killed Wes reveal was pretty weak. It's been so dragged out and I genuinely dont buy Laurel/Wes as they epic love story they're trying to convince us they are. Even the actress looks unconvinced.

• Love 1
On 3/9/2018 at 7:57 PM, Neurochick said:

THIS exactly. It's a show about people literally getting away with murder. 

On 3/11/2018 at 12:29 PM, Apprentice79 said:

I wish that the show would play that beat and delve into Michaela struggling with wanting that Black man that she has always wanted and how that keeps her from having a good life with Asher.  It would be a really good story for the show to tackle.  

On 3/13/2018 at 9:43 AM, project90 said:

I'm sure she has before

While the K5 (and Frank/Bonnie) are the actual murderers, AK is murder adjacent because she enables and covers for them. Yes, Wes killed Sam, but AK told them how to dispose of the body and everything has snowballed from there. 

On 3/13/2018 at 3:29 PM, NUguy514 said:

And since I've seen every episode of this show, I know she has not.

She kinda has. IIRC in the episode with the mother and the 3 grown kids accused of poisoning her AK says something to the effect that she lies to them to keep them calm while she's trying to "save their a**es". 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 3/8/2018 at 11:03 PM, Chick2Chic said:

More like, "Asher, I couldn't help myself! I needed to act totally out of character to create some contrived dramatic tension!"

Edited by Hazel55
  • Love 5