Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E10: Dylan & Savenia

Dylan's desperately fallen for a beautiful model with an elusive secret. With all the standard red flags, Nev and Max assume it's an open and shut case. The truth, however, is something stranger than fiction.

(edited)

This is the season 7 finale (Not counting specials). Maybe that means Catfish won't be back until 2019. The Trolls spinoff probably ate up production codes which is why they aren't willing to make 20 hours this time? Never thought I'd be thankful to Trolls. Bonus points if Catfish has its dying breath with "Dear Nev & Max" on March 14th. MTV has met the syndication quota.

Edited by AfterwardsTV
  • Love 1

I’m not sure how I feel about this, especially as a season or even series finale.  I am glad for the girl, but this wasn’t really an unreal twist.

I also wonder about the future of the show, now that they base their work out of California for work/life balance.

• Love 2

Nev and Max must have shelves full of PC/Social Justice Tees. Nothing wrong with fighting for justice or anything. They just seem to have shirts for a lot of causes.

I don't care man. I loved this. A genuine connection. People keep asking why Nev cares so much or whatever but this is always what he wants. It was sweet to see. And a logical Catfish. Playing with your look online to make you look better. That's the lie. No boyfriend in the wings or some dumb reason. I know a lot of people catfish because of insecurity but they usually do it with a whole other persons picture.

Perfect end to the series if that's the case. A episode that genuinely works out.

• Love 12

While the episode was unexpected, it certainly wasn't the big twist I was expecting.

I bet the money they used to have for traveling to where the person is, is now the salary for Nev & Max’s wives, & that’s why the people have to come to California now.

• Love 6

At least this couple is 100 times better than Derrick and the most annoyingly fake Lauren. I was very happy for Dylan, he seemed like such a down-to-earth nice person. He deserved for things to work out. I wish him and Savenia all the best!!
I really miss the old Catfish TV show. Once Nev's wife & kid started appearing in every episode, it was a definite sign the show was going downhill and getting stale. It's so obvious that they use the scenes with Nev & his wife discussing the weekly case as "filler." They are boring, obviously staged and kind of ruin the show. Even though this season was quite the let-down, maybe they will continue and at least go back to the basics. I miss the realness and authenticity of the early seasons. Even the season when Max was out filming (and they had numerous co-hosts) was better than this season.

• Love 5

Savenia's number is on Riley's profile because Savenia needed a number on her profile (...no you don't), and they just kind of forgot to change it.

Just to clarify this issue from the recap, Riley's profile had Savenia's number because Savenia's phone used to be Riley's. Savenia had broken hers. Riley didn't update her profile with her new number, likely not remembering she had ever put in her old one.

14 hours ago, b2H said:

I’m not sure how I feel about this, especially as a season or even series finale.  I am glad for the girl, but this wasn’t really an unreal twist.

This season is just supposed to be double the twists. For this episode, I'm guessing they're counting:  a) she was the person in her picture, and b) she had actually been a model (albeit entry-level).

• Love 3
(edited)

My heart hardened toward this show a long time ago, yet for some reason I kept watching.  This episode is why! 

I have to admit that I genuinely teared up and felt a real connection between Savenia and Dylan. It really warmed my heart!

I'm happy for them and glad it worked out. They both seem like nice people, so good for them. 

Shallow moment: Fwiw, I thought Savenia looked prettier in real life vs her photoshopped pics. I like her awkwardness and little quirks! 

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 6

My first impression was that this episode was so dull. I mean, a happy ending is nice once in awhile, and I genuinely liked both Dylan and Savenia, but there were no surprises, no twists. I find myself still looking for mysteries, like why was she so afraid to show her face if she wanted to be a model? She could have donned make-up for the video chats. And for all his tragic past, he is so sweet and level-headed -- what's he hiding? It's hard to believe he never questioned Savenia's identity; seems like a given that he'd have some trust issues.

Nevertheless, they both seemed happy to meet and for the first time in a long time (maybe ever), the "connection" they felt from the phone calls seemed to withstand the reality of a face-to-face meeting. A nice end cap to the show.

• Love 5

The part I thought was weird, was when they met and were sitting on the couch, and Savenia mentioned possible plans of coming to VA, then Dylan said he'd never considered what would happen if they met in real life.  WTF?  What would have been the point of having the 5-year "relationship"?  I understand that there were benefits of the phone communication and companionship, but how do you not think past beyond just what is occurring in your life at that moment?   

• Love 3
On 3/8/2018 at 1:59 AM, GaT said:

While the episode was unexpected, it certainly wasn't the big twist I was expecting.

I bet the money they used to have for traveling to where the person is, is now the salary for Nev & Max’s wives, & that’s why the people have to come to California now.

I was surprised it took them this many episodes to explain why they're having most people come to California.  But of course if the person is in NYC they're totally for traveling!

But it must save them a HUGE amount to not make an entire crew travel to two different locations each time. Flights and hotel rooms probably add up to a pretty penny. And now the catfishee get really nice rental homes for a few days. 

It does kill me that viewers are suppose to believe that these people are suppose to spontaneously hop on an airplane the next day out of the blue.  Because no one apparently has jobs or other responsibilities that they need to plan in advance for.  We aren't that stupid Catfish!  They could at least give the illusion that it takes them a few days to get out there. 

I'm going to have to rewatch the episode and look at her pictures closely, I really didn't once they got on the whole model train. Thinking they were for sure a different person.  AND you could obviously see a photographer's name on the bottom of the photos and i wanted to scream FIND THE PHOTOGRAPHER AND ASK THEM!!  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

The part I thought was weird, was when they met and were sitting on the couch, and Savenia mentioned possible plans of coming to VA, then Dylan said he'd never considered what would happen if they met in real life.  WTF?  What would have been the point of having the 5-year "relationship"?  I understand that there were benefits of the phone communication and companionship, but how do you not think past beyond just what is occurring in your life at that moment?   

I think a lot of these people are fine with what they have, for the most part. Texting/talking constantly is their entertainment, and if they try to start something in person, all that could go away. On a smaller scale, I've had friends who have met someone, gotten their number, then had a text relationship with them for a couple months. When they finally went on a date, it all crumbled pretty quickly.

This show has definitely gotten worse over time, but I will apparently be watching till the bitter end.

• Love 4

Mrs. Nev was in 9/10 episodes. Now last week's episode feels like them breaking their own continuity. Can't even do that right... P.S. Mrs. Nev seemed stoned on the couch.

In what can only be described as a miracle, I didn't hate either of the clients by the end of the installment. Maybe because they actually felt like real normal people for once. Down to the face licking and shared awkward laughing.

I was down for ONE after season special since it was over spring break anyways, but Nev & Max can't help but be on TV all 52 weeks of the year so we're getting 7 more specials after that. 

I understand the TV business model, but no show is more determined to fill its wallet while not caring what content it exchanges to get there.

• Love 1

The travel part of the show is a big factor, I don’t like them flying the subjects out to California.   When the plot is dull It’s cool to be a voyeur of weird small towns and sketchy parts of bigger cities.  And when they don’t use fake locations the decor can be amusing.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Spike said:

The travel part of the show is a big factor, I don’t like them flying the subjects out to California.

Yeah, when Nev first called Savenia, she said she couldn't deal with the call, that it was out of the blue, and Nev nicely corrected her. Yet in the next breath he said they'd fly her out to California THE NEXT DAY and she didn't even hesitate. Seems like a slip-up. I would probably have to take a minute to think about dropping everything to fly across country for a TV show, and I would certainly have to do so if I was surprised by the call in the first place.

• Love 1

I think they could cut out the first trip, and just have the dupe email them all the info.
Then they could fly and meet up in the catfish's home town.
The Nev knock on the door, is an important part of the show.

• Love 4
On 3/10/2018 at 4:27 AM, Wildeman said:

Just Wow, I can't believe she was real. That was an awesome episode and good luck to them both.

I know right, I legitimately enjoyed this episode. They were so cute together.

• Love 1

I’ve been racking my brain to figure out who Savenia looked like; she reminds me of Vanessa Bayer from SNL.

Anyway, they seem like nice kids. It’s almost quaint that they actually were exactly who they said they were, and that she felt bad that her photos were photoshopped.

On 3/20/2018 at 10:02 AM, ivygirl said:

I’ve been racking my brain to figure out who Savenia looked like; she reminds me of Vanessa Bayer from SNL.

Thank you!  It's been driving me crazy all week. You nailed it.  

I can't stand Mrs. Nev.  But liked the episode, they're both so cute together.  Even with her a head taller than him.

My DVR cut off the end after the paddleboats.  Anything happen?  They're still together? 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Tara Ariano said:

If only there were an extremely detailed recap linked in this very thread.

Oh I'm sorry, I'm only on during my lunch at work and don't get around to reading the recaps until weekends, but thanks for assumptions...

• Love 2
On 3/22/2018 at 12:50 PM, ShaNaeNae said:

Oh I'm sorry, I'm only on during my lunch at work and don't get around to reading the recaps until weekends, but thanks for assumptions...

They are still together. She was planning to relocate to be with him.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ChickenLatte99 said:

They are still together. She was planning to relocate to be with him.

Thank you ChickenLatte99.  I was stalking FB a bit this weekend and found both of them.  They seem happy, I wish those two goobers the best. 

• Love 2
On 3/11/2018 at 12:29 AM, Spike said:

The travel part of the show is a big factor, I don’t like them flying the subjects out to California.   When the plot is dull It’s cool to be a voyeur of weird small towns and sketchy parts of bigger cities.  And when they don’t use fake locations the decor can be amusing.

I agree, how lazy can this show get? Why even meet face to face, why not Skype or something  with the catfishee? Then fly the catfish out to Nev's house for the confrontation . Lol

• Love 1

I hate admitting it, but I loved this episode.  I think they scammed Catfish for a free ticket, but they were just so sweet I’m happy for them.  And honestly good on them. It was a sweet and emotional meet up and feels much more genuine than most of the stories these past years.

• Love 1

I recently saw this one for the first time.  I must have missed if they explained why when Nev called Sevenia's friend she said Sevenia never talked about an online love interest.  Said her sister did though.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe