Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: AKA God Help the Hobo

All things considering, shattering a bouncy ball against as wall isn't a bad way to end Jessica's anger management classes.  It really could have been much, much worse.

Jessica and Trish try to find Janet McTeer's character, but instead find Leah Gibson playing a former IGA nurse, who was attacked by McTeer and became homeless after.  Meanwhile, McTeer's character is busy brutally murdering a guy Cheng sent to steal all of Jessica's stuff, so now the detectives think Jessica is the killer and she's been arrested again.

Looks like whatever Simpson has been huffing causes people to become violent and angry, because Trish seemed to be losing it at the end.  She wanted to avoid bad press, but I don't think she can avoid if after it is revealed she tried to attack a cop.

Jeri's now going to resort to trying to find a cure overseas.  You know, Jeri, there's a great little place in Kamar-Taj that can do miracles.....

• Love 2

I liked the visit to the wig lady who hated Trish that was funny, especially the the signed Patsy photo. They seem to be making a lot more Patsy references this season so I really hope we get a flashback or some footage of an It's Patsy episode. I have wanted to see that since season 1.

• Love 5

My Unspoiled Thoughts and Speculation 

• Loved the anger management session. The looks on their face as Jessica reveals her history was hilarious particularly after reassuring her that she was “the same as us” . I bet the counsellor will be careful about using that expression in future. 

• They had me worried, for a second, the kid was going to fall out the window. Thank goodness Jessica was able to save him. I feel bad that it confirmed the Supers prejudice against her though :(. Oh wait, the kid told the truth and he learnt to accept her! Yay :D

• I was totally right about him being a love interest for Jessica! I’m glad that he was being truthful about the fact he was trying to act in the best interest of his kids rather than bigotry.

• I like assertive Malcom and so does Jessica it seems :D 

• While the actress is doing a good job with the material provided I do wish Hogarth was more connected to the overall plot of the season. It almost feels as though she is on a seperate show of her own.

• Love 4
On 3/10/2018 at 12:58 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Jeri's now going to resort to trying to find a cure overseas.

I thought she was looking for a way to kill herself. She doesn't want to go through what she watched her father go through.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Nellise said:

I thought she was looking for a way to kill herself. She doesn't want to go through what she watched her father go through.

Yep, she is trying to purchase illegal-in-the-US euthanasia drugs.

Also, how dumb are the cops? If Jessica had murdered that guy in the truck not only would she be covered in blood, but why would she just be standing there staring at the scene?

I know that jacket and fingerless gloves are Jessica's "look," but why would they start the episode with her saying how hot it is and then have her wearing them outside on the street??

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, rubinia said:

I know that jacket and fingerless gloves are Jessica's "look," but why would they start the episode with her saying how hot it is and then have her wearing them outside on the street??

^ This. I was like Jess take off your black jacket and gloves if its so hot.

The cops are real dumb dumb huh. And this Pryce guy needs to shut up. Jeri is right, his ego is hurt cause he got beat by a girl. Loser.

• Love 3

I get why they might think Jessica killed Nick because of her powers, but I'm pretty sure she's never torn anyone to shreds before. It's more prejudice to arrest her right on the spot. Technically, if the cops actually do their job instead of slapping Jessica as guilty, they'll be able to find proof that she didn't do it (I'm guessing they won't willingly believe Trish as a witness). I'm hoping that it does get cleared up sooner, rather than later.

Ah, so Trish huffed the stuff that Simpson was taking. I honestly could have done without this drug addiction storyline. I've seen a bazillion versions of it before, and it's just going to turn out badly for Trish. Also, the fact that Jessica never noticed Trish's dilated eyes makes zero sense.

Much like I'm not really liking Jeri's ALS storyline. So now she's finding ways to kill herself. I mean, she could just kill herself outright instead of going through this trouble of finding an illegal drug outside of the US to do the job for her, but she likely doesn't want to die in the first place. 

Malcolm's seriously great. I like him standing up to Jessica. Hopefully it does pay off.

Of course Oscar comes around. He came around a lot quicker than I thought. I was convinced it would be at least the sixth episode before he did.

Shady Griffin is shady. Well, of course he is. Also, Pryce Cheng needs to suck up his manhood. 

Overall, four episodes in, and as much as I love the directing, the plots they're going with with Jeri and now with Trish are not ones that interest me in the slightest. I appreciate that they're centered around women, which is why I'm giving it one chance to not go down a typical route. I guess I'm feeling picky this week. 

• Love 1
On 3/12/2018 at 3:08 PM, Sakura12 said:

Jessica is really committed to her look. Even in 100 degree weather she's going to wear her leather jacket and gloves. 

The new costume designer said that she actually sat down to talk with Krysten extensively that that she thought Jessica would continue to wear her jacket even during the new York heat as its for all intents and purposes,  her cape/ armor a b Jessica wouldn't feel comfortable without it. 

• Love 1

Yeah, Jessica should be cleared pretty quickly in Nick's death although Trish's drug-induced freakout really hurt her chances of that.

Edited by benteen

Jessica is totally committed to her trademark look, and I love it. Like, Jessica is so stubborn and wants so badly to be in charge of her own life, she wont even like the damn weather affect how she lives her life. 

So Super guy isn't a bigot, he just thought Jessica was trouble, and is actually a decent guy. Yeah, saw that coming. I mean, Jessica kind of IS trouble, but it usually isn't really her fault. She usually means well...

With all these references to Its Patsy, I really want to see some of an actual episode. What actually was the show? It looks like a sort of 90s tween come, but why was it such a big deal? I wanna know! 

Speaking of, it seems like Trish is taking a rather dark path this season. I hope she doesn't go full on dark side like Simpson did, that would really suck to watch. 

Malcolm is not only getting more assertive, he is getting some. A lot of it, apparently! Sobriety looks good on him. 

So is Jerris ALS going to be like Jerris divorce last season? Not bad or anything, but not really connected to the plot or the other characters?

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

Awwww, I love that Malcolm immediately told Jessica about Pryce's offer. But of course Jessica being Jessica means she just told Malcolm to consider it.

On 3/10/2018 at 5:56 PM, Wayward Son said:

Loved the anger management session. The looks on their face as Jessica reveals her history was hilarious particularly after reassuring her that she was “the same as us” . I bet the counsellor will be careful about using that expression in future.

I also loved that immediately after Jessica revealed how fucked up her life has been and then broke the ball, he immediately signed her card. See, counselor? She wasn't kidding when she said she doubted she was the same as the rest of you! Part of me hopes that after he gets over the initial of it all, he finds a way to help her at their next meeting. I don't think he's going to ever be able to turn her into someone who wears pink party dresses and has rainbow themed parties, but he could still help her, even if only incrementally.

• Love 2
On 3/12/2018 at 6:46 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I get why they might think Jessica killed Nick because of her powers, but I'm pretty sure she's never torn anyone to shreds before. It's more prejudice to arrest her right on the spot.

It's not just Jessica's powers that made her a suspect, the murder victim had stolen Jessica's files and stuff from her office.  So when he was killed in such a way, plus there was all that stuff that had Jessica's name on it right there, that looks suspicious at least.

• Love 1

Jessica Jones at an anger management session was never going to be anything but a disaster.

"Drive."

"Not if you're going to hurt him."

"... I'll take a cab."

Heh.

It's crazy how well timed this storyline with the sleazy director is. Written before the #MeToo movement, before the Weinstein revelations gained traction. Obviously, stories about sleazy, predatory Hollywood people have been around for decades, but for this to coincide so closely with the real world worked out so well. And there's also the increasingly toxic masculinity of Cheng, with his inability to accept a woman kicked his arse, or outwitted him, or outmanoeuvred him. He wants to ruin Jessica to reassert his fragile manhood. Still, inconvenient that he heard his friend say "get off me, lady" before he was killed.

But I do love how protective of Trish Jessica is. Krysten and Racheal both imbue all their scenes together with so much depth and history. Trish taking Simpson's drug? Well that's not going to end well. 

Interesting that we're also learning more about Malcolm's family as well. I like that the writers of this show understand that fans care about more than just Jessica, that we're interested in Trish and Malcolm. And even Jeri. But Malcolm's dad is some sort of noble academic or philanthropist, which explains a lot about his desire to help people. I'd be so interested to see a scene between him and his family, to see if they know about his drug addiction, what they thought of it, what they think of him now.

But man, good for Malcolm standing up to Jessica, and demanding respect, as well as a cut of their profits.

One storyline I'm still not interested in is the building super and his awesome fatherly abilities and lack of charisma, and the latest example of Jessica's terrible taste in men. And as Trish herself pointed out, her shitty taste in men actually continues.

The Jeri storyline just feels like a deus ex machina to explain her presence as an agent of chaos. Just like last season.  But if they actually explore the idea of assisted dying with respect and empathy, it could be an interesting sideplot. This is something that has been a bit of a hot topic in the UK in recent years, with terminally ill people fighting for the right to die, or travelling to the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland.

(edited)
On 3/12/2018 at 5:46 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I get why they might think Jessica killed Nick because of her powers, but I'm pretty sure she's never torn anyone to shreds before. It's more prejudice to arrest her right on the spot.

I assumed Cheng (who was on the phone while his operative was being beaten to death) called the police and told the cops that Jessica did it.  It's a reasonable conclusion for him/them to reach, given that the guy was in the process of stealing her stuff.  MY question was (initially) to wonder why the killer went after him.  But now I'm come to the conclusion that the killer was watching Jessica's place, saw the theft go down, and decided to kill the thief in order to frame Jessica for murder.  Thankfully Jessica has an alibi witness (Trish) who can testify that she was nowhere near her place when all that went down.  Oh wait -- Trish just attacked a cop so her credibility will not be the best.  Great.

On 3/19/2018 at 11:51 AM, Danny Franks said:

if they actually explore the idea of assisted dying with respect and empathy, it could be an interesting sideplot.

I will lay money that the people who drugged Jessica and gave her her powers are somehow going to reach out to Jeri and make her an offer of an experimental treatment that MIGHT just have side effects like super strength, super speed, or I something like x-ray vision.

My favorite bit was when Jess and the new custodian were sharing a drink on the couch and then they hard-cut to two people fucking.  I scoffed out loud, only to laugh when it was revealed that it was Trish and her boyfriend.  Nice fake out.  And it was (to my mind) much realistic when, later, the custodian put the brakes on Jessica's aggressive moves.  

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

I am liking belligerent Trish. The problem with the cops not buying Jessica didn't kill the guy is that they have to buy in that there's someone else out there with super strong powers. I can see that being hard to swallow. Though this is my least favorite plot. 

On 4/6/2018 at 9:41 AM, ganesh said:

I am liking belligerent Trish. The problem with the cops not buying Jessica didn't kill the guy is that they have to buy in that there's someone else out there with super strong powers. I can see that being hard to swallow. Though this is my least favorite plot. 

There's also the fact that Jessica didn't make a great first impression when she had a previous run in with the cops, plus the semi well known murder of Killgrave and the fact that Jessica had the means (super strength), motive (he was stealing from her and working for her competition) and opportunity (he was murdered outside her place) so I'd doubt the cops would give her that much benefit of the doubt considering her tendency to violently assault people and destroy property every other episode.

Yeah, take her in and figure it out later. My issue is that this should be proven easily that she didn't do it, but that it will drag out. 

Plus that Pryce guy is just a little bitch and the plot is just dumb. 

Jeri's on a separate show so far, I hope she becomes connected at some point.  I know she will.

I forgot about Cheng until he pops up for a minute or two.

I don't know, it's weird, I'm loving this season even though I'm not necessarily loving the plots...

I am loving Arocho though, and even more after deciding things got weird.

The season's moving at a snail's pace, IMO, so I'm cringing that Jessica guilty until proven innocent may be something that drags out before heading back to finding super-powered lady.

Edited by CyberJawa1986