Type keyword(s) to search

Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2 (2018)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

Lord it's been 6 years? The trailer was "eh" for me until the end with the bunny, that was good stuff. I feel like we've had this story in an animated feature before, someone discovering the internet. Like I'm pretty sure I've seen that exact same popup joke in another movie.

9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Vanellope meeting the Disney Princesses is everything I dreamed of.

I loved everything, but my favorite part was Mulan literally flying into frame ready to drop-kick somebody!

• Love 6

The new trailer for the movie has finally revealed that one little detail I needed to be satisfied - the reason Ralph and Vanellope need to visit the internet. Before the latest trailer the movie just looked like it existed to poke fun at the internet.

• Love 5

I'm so in for this!  Didn't see the first one until it showed up on one of the pay channels, and then I was amazed with how beautiful it was with all the candy and sweet imaginings, and a decent story for what is supposed to be a kid flick.  This looks like it's going to hit on all cylinders too.  

• Love 2

Went and saw this today with my Mini Malotte, who is an older kiddle (early 20's) and we both enjoyed it.  The first film is better, but this one is still very charming, and the animation is really outstanding.  Stay thru the entire credits, there's a funny little afterward.  And - a Stan Lee moment as well during the film, which got a collective 'awwwww' from us older folks in the audience. 

• Love 3

I want to watch the Disney part of the movie about a million times. There was so much going on! The Aibud Pavilion! The nitpicky fanboy asking questions for Baby Groot! The Stormtroopers as security! Everything about the Disney princesses! I swear, Disney is going on the weirdest, best victory lap ever. Also, the Stan Lee cameo got a big "awwww" from my audience. 

Movie was cute, I enjoyed all of the internet jokes, and you can tell how much fun they had with animating the internet (Twitter as a big tree full of birds, Instagram as an Art Gallery, Wikipedia as a pile of books), and the story in general was fun, if rather bittersweet in the way that Pixar can be. It was too bad not seeing more of the cast of the first movie though, I kept hoping they would cut back to them, but it didnt really happen until the end. 

I actually love that the movie didnt really have a villain, it just had a lot of screw ups and feelings. 

• Love 6

Went to see this with my daugther

Its worth it just for few the scenes with the Disney princesses. 

It really was a pretty ho hum, mediocre movie otherwise, but those scenes made the movie worth seeing. 

Oh that and the search engine guy blurting out answers trying to guess what they were going to say

Wow- this is actually a real movie! I had significant reservations based on the marketing- it felt like this could be the emoji movie redux, with obvious jokes and stale references, but I feel like they did a good job of subverting the usual tropes. Same goes for the Princesses- I thought their bit would feel played out, but there was so much more than what was in the trailers.

It’s not perfect- I feel the characters back at the arcade get lost in the mix, and it kind of feels like Ralph makes the same basic mistake as in the first film.  But there were plenty of things to like about it as well- chiefly the relationship between Ralph and Vanellope.

Edited by Chyromaniac

Saw it today with my kids and I was pretty impressed. I don't think I have ever seen a disney movie with that kind of downer ending before.. But it totally worked and ended up being a nice message about friendship. Ralph and Vanellope carry the movie a lot more  than the 1st one. I think one of them was in every scene, where in the first one Felix and Calhoun were really supporting characters. But even with it being a slightly more serious story the 2 leads did a good job. I don't remember the last time I saw John c. Reilly in something where he had to be that serious.

The internet stuff was pretty great. They managed to do a pretty good job encorporating the real intermet without making the refeeences dumb or too in your face. 

I wonder if there were any deleted scenes of Felix, Calhoun and the Sugar Rush racers?

• Love 4

One thing that activated my inner nitpicky fanboy was the fact that there was no explanation for how Vanellope could leave her game.  It was a pretty important plot point from the first movie.  While I didn't need a full subplot or mini-movie, ten seconds of dialogue along the lines of

Ralph: Hey, at least you've been able to leave your game ever since you rebooted it by crossing the finish line.

Vanellope:  Yeah, I guess, but I just still want... more.

would have been a nice bone to throw to the folks who watched the first movie.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

They might not have spelled it out but I thought it was pretty clear that rebooting Sugar Rush at the end of the first movie fixed her code so she wasn't a glitch anymore. She was at Felix's wedding. 

Except that she was a glitch and regarded it as "the best super-power ever."  I assumed that Felix's wedding took place in Sugar Rush because Vanellope was at it.

Meanwhile, this movie has stirred in me an immense desire to see some kind of Disney Princesses team/heist movie.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, johntfs said:

Except that she was a glitch and regarded it as "the best super-power ever."  I assumed that Felix's wedding took place in Sugar Rush because Vanellope was at it.

Meanwhile, this movie has stirred in me an immense desire to see some kind of Disney Princesses team/heist movie.

Wasn't the wedding in the same venue as Calhoun's first wedding that was attacked by bugs. There was also the animation during the end credits that showed the main characters having adventures in various games. I figured that the King Candy altering the code was why she couldn't leave. Although with what we saw with how much Vanallope wants to do with her life, being the forgotten glitch in Sugar Rush is really sad.

Also if they can alter the Slaughter Race code so easily so she doesn't die, why didn't they do that in all of the games at Litwack's? Dieing outside of your game was a bigger plot point for me.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Also if they can alter the Slaughter Race code so easily so she doesn't die, why didn't they do that in all of the games at Litwack's? Dieing outside of your game was a bigger plot point for me.

Altering the game code to add Vanellope means that Vanellope becomes part of the game and can interact with the players.  Players will probably be okay with the idea that the "programmers" decided to add Vanellope von Sweetz from the old Sugar Rush arcade game to Shank's gang.  But if every character from every game is in every game it's going to rapidly blow everyone's cover to the human world.  And the human world might panic at the idea of "rogue AIs" and respond with their usual "Kill It!  Kill It with Fire!" attitude.

• Love 1
On 11/27/2018 at 6:29 AM, johntfs said:

Having read what you wrote, I now want this too. 

Getting back to the main topic. I liked the movie, but I think the first one was better. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 1

I liked the movie a lot but I think it suffered from being strictly the Ralph and Vanellope show. If not larger roles for Felix and Calhoun I would have liked beefed up roles for Shank and Yasss with more of a sense of their goals and internality. In movie the end up just being kind of Ralph and Vanellope's Fairy Godmothers/mentors without much sense of who they are and what they want. 

I liked the movie.  It wasn't as good as the first one and I agree it did suffer a little bit from being strictly the Ralph and Vanellope show.  Felix in particular is gold anytime he's on-screen.  He and Calhoun were sorely missed.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

Took me a whole month, but I finally saw it. Great sequel, as well as a spot-on critique of the internet. The Disney Easter eggs were the best.

Agree that we could have had more Felix and Cahloun (would've loved to hear their secrets to parenting but I guess we all have to future them out for ourselves, lol). 

And more of the Disney Princesses! Give them their own animated shorts or spinoff!

• Love 1
On 12/14/2018 at 2:35 PM, benteen said:

I agree it did suffer a little bit from being strictly the Ralph and Vanellope show.  

It did, a little I thought. Although with any other leads it would have been much worse. Like I said above, even though John C. Reilly does mostly comedies, it was a nice little reminder that he is a strong dramatic actor. And Sahar Silverman really held her own with him.

• Love 2

It was pretty good, but is anyone besides me sad that Vanellope left Sugar Rush? I did like the princesses and that Ralph and Vanellope's friendship got stronger. Missed Felix and Calhoun, of course. I think that Ralph and Vanellope spending time apart is good, just not good enough to stay away from home forever.

Edited by ShinShien