Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E13: Sweatshop Annie & The Annoying Baby Shower

A baby shower makes Grace (Debra Messing) and Will (Eric McCormack) question their life choices. Karen (Megan Mullally) and Jack (Sean Hayes) find a way to combine child labor with musical theater. Jennifer Lopez will pull double duty guest-starring as both herself and her "Shades of Blue" character, Det. Harlee Santos. Leigh-Allyn Baker also guest stars.

I can’t think of anything more Karen than using child labor in the office. Her very own sweatshop!! 

I loved everything about Will discussing dating problems with the teen girls at the baby shower. “I deep liked him so hard!!” and “I literally hate it (dating) so much!!” made me literally laugh out loud. 

The baby shower resolution was cheesy, but I liked it because it’s so true. Women need to make their own choices that are right for them and stop judging each other!! That being said, I still don’t like Ellen. Ugh. I’ve always found her annoying. She and Rob both, actually. 

My favorite Jack quote of the night: “tap it again, Insta-grandma!” Lol! Also, I loved JLo chewing him out. “This is how you do it, jackass!” and him being excited she knew his name. 

And.....Michael. Again? Really? Ugh. I feel like we heard enough about Michael in the first two (or so) years of the show.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, SparklesBitch said:

The baby shower resolution was cheesy, but I liked it because it’s so true. Women need to make their own choices that are right for them and stop judging each other!! 

Fully agreed on this. It's a message we all need to hear. 

It's been some time since I've seen the early seasons of the original run of the show, so I completely forgot about Michael. I'm rather curious to see what happens with that. Will talking with those girls at the party about the whole Michael thing was the best, though :D. 

Also liked Jack not being able to play dead while shooting his "Shades" episode. 

• Love 5

After finding the previous four or five episodes very funny, this one didn't land for me as much.

Jack ruining multiple takes was predictable and a sitcom scenario that has been done to death (literally in this case).  Had the execution and/or writing been better, it may have been able to rise above the doneness of it all but it didn't. for me.  Will's story felt familiar too but it was executed a bit better.

The high points for me were the way they deftly moved from Karen babysitting to her use of child labor turned into a routine from Annie.  And the fact that Grace's "we should support each other's choices" speech led to a general feeling of contentment in the room that wasn't ruined by some gaffe at the very last minute.

• Love 2

Will and the teens was just too funny. Didn't care for the Jack and J-Lo scene, it was just too annoying. Loved when Will called Grace Rhoda. I have a bad memory so I don't remember Michael. Was he ever on the show or did Will just talk about him?

• Love 8

I thought the main storyline, and also Karen dealing with the kids, were hilarious. Grace mentioning "Grace Adler Designs" on her hate list got a huge laugh from me - as did Karen with the Adderall.

Jack was annoying as hell, but that segment was over quickly, and JLo as the corpse was a twist I didn't see coming.

It was nice to see that Debra Messing seems to have gotten her groove back, acting-wise. This was one of the few episodes that reminded me of the quality of most of the original run.

• Love 5

This wasn't as strong an episode as last week's but I did get a kick out of Will and the teenagers. Plus I'm intrigued to find out if there's more to this thing with Michael. Also got a kick out of Karen basically locking the kids in the supply closet and telling them they were rehearsing for The Diary of Anne Frank. "We're rehearsing for Annie!" "Well, they both got adopted by bald billionaires. and had scrappy dogs." LOL.

The scenes with Jennifer Lopez were just not well written. She was so much more effective in her original guest appearance.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This wasn't as strong an episode as last week's but I did get a kick out of Will and the teenagers. Plus I'm intrigued to find out if there's more to this thing with Michael. Also got a kick out of Karen basically locking the kids in the supply closet and telling them they were rehearsing for The Diary of Anne Frank. "We're rehearsing for Annie!" "Well, they both got adopted by bald billionaires. and had scrappy dogs." LOL.

The scenes with Jennifer Lopez were just not well written. She was so much more effective in her original guest appearance.

Exactly!  they could have had any actor do that role.  Me likes my JLo dancing and singing.  

The only parts I enjoyed was Will and the teenage girls. I would love if they come back to hang out with Will again.

I didn't like JLo's story. It would have been more fun it she remember Jack and they build off of that connection. I was never her fan but always enjoyed her "Girl, you're hired" line from the original series.

• Love 2

Every time I tune in I feel second-hand embarrassment. It's like the characters were frozen in time, thawed, then given stale dialogue peppered with current pop culture references. The only episode I enjoyed so far was Will's foray into the world of dating younger men. I appreciated the lecture he gave the younger gay man about the struggles that paved the way for him to have 2 coming out parties.

I guess what really bothers me is that everything is EXACTLY the same. Will is still uptight; Grace is still self-absorbed, etc. If I knew people in real life who - after ten years - never evolved beyond their blindspots and limitation, I'd feel pity for them and avoid their calls. This show is just a bunch of recycled scripts and characters. There's nothing fresh about it.

As for this particular episode, ugh to J-lo promoting that dreadful Shades of Blue. W & G started going down hill with all the stunt casting so I really don't want to see more of it this time around. The highlight was Will with the two teen-agers. (Oh look, now they're recycling Will's boyfriend. Riveting. )  The baby shower storyline was predictable. If they are going to recycle characters and storylines, you'd think Will and Grace would have brought up that time they tried to have a baby together. I mean, it did damage their friendship and Will kicked her out, after all.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

small voice/  I liked this epi.  Having teens and having to decipher their lingo made Will's scene's couch scene so funny to me.  I laughed out loud a few times.  

BIG voice and I loved this episode! This really felt from beginning to end like classic Will & Grace. 

We are 13 episodes in and I'm still loving every minute of this reboot.

• Love 12
On 3/8/2018 at 9:54 PM, SparklesBitch said:

The baby shower resolution was cheesy, but I liked it because it’s so true. Women need to make their own choices that are right for them and stop judging each other!! That being said, I still don’t like Ellen. Ugh. I’ve always found her annoying. She and Rob both, actually. 

Thank you! I've never been an Ellen fan either. Rob, eh, I can take him or leave him, but Ellen's always been annoying. Although I'll admit, she was funny as hell in that episode when she tried to seduce Will after finding out that Grace and Rob had once hooked up.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, Tara Ariano said:

He was on the show one time, played by Chris Potter -- NOT Cheyenne Jackson.

He was more prominent in "Queer As Folks" on Showtime well over 10 years ago! I can barely remember him in "W & G" unless it was that episode where he hired Grace to do some decorating! I just wasn't a serious watcher of the show back then! The characters just weren't likeable; Jack's self-involvement, Grace's IQ going up and down like a yo-yo, Karen in her own little world not knowing what to do with a glass of ice and a can a coke given to her by Madonna, and Will's anal retention; being so critical of everyone to the extent of running them off like Vince! I can relate, but I don't whine about being alone as a result! lol! ;-)

• Love 1

I think I have loved all the episodes this season except one (don’t remember which one, I just remember a vague feeling of disappointment once). LOVED Debra’s delivery of the “But I’m not a mother!” line, that was hilarious.

• Love 2
On 3/9/2018 at 7:43 AM, bichonblitz said:

Ugghh. They need to shoot this reboot and put it out of it's misery. 

I so agree.  This has gone downhill fast.  The bit with J. Lo was a waste.  And I was excited to see Ellen but I didn't like her story line either.  Maybe they need new writers or something.  I've only enjoyed a handful of episodes.  

• Love 1
19 hours ago, A.J. said:

I so agree.  This has gone downhill fast.  The bit with J. Lo was a waste.  And I was excited to see Ellen but I didn't like her story line either.  Maybe they need new writers or something.  I've only enjoyed a handful of episodes.  

I think what people missed most about this series was Jack and Karen. It's Will and Grace that drag this show down. The writing is so stale.

48 minutes ago, lovinbob said:

Is that the mom from Good Luck, Charlie? /kidsTV

Not a mom/no kids (was in my late 20s at the time, LOL) but that’s what I remembered her from, too :)

I feel like holocaust jokes are always a desperate choice, so the Anne Frank bit fell flat. How many years into menopause did every one of those women at the baby shower look?

• Love 1
On 3/9/2018 at 11:11 PM, Gothish520 said:

BIG voice and I loved this episode! This really felt from beginning to end like classic Will & Grace. 

We are 13 episodes in and I'm still loving every minute of this reboot.

I agree!!

• Love 1