Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: A Life in the Day

It was nice to see Eliot and Quentin working together.  I like how much of a leader Eliot is this season, encouraging Quentin to keep working on the mozaic when he was frustrated.  He must be a hell of a leader to keep Quentin from getting discouraged for an entire lifetime.  I don't think there's any way I could spend my life doing that.  It was very touching to see E & Q working together and living together as friends for a lifetime.  Touching episode.

I love the messenger bunnies.  "Now, dickwads!"  Margot is awesome.

The older son talking to Margot:  strong mountain, fertile valley.  Heh.

Ooooooh, Margot's in loooooooove.  But WHAM what a horrible wedding!  What a bitch that fairy queen is.  Looking forward to seeing her get hers.

Good episode, touching storyline with E & Q.

Did I see a DRAGON in next week's episode?

• Love 8

It breaks my heart that Eliot's and Quentin's life together was undone. They raised a son and had grandkids.

They just keep shitting on Margo.

Julia's got some god power. Huh. With the talk about magic as religion, I hope no one builds a church worshipping her. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Poltargyst said:

Ooooooh, Margot's in loooooooove.  But WHAM what a horrible wedding!  What a bitch that fairy queen is.  Looking forward to seeing her get hers.

And I want to see that horrible younger brother get his too.  What a horrible person.

It was nice to see some progress with Julia and Alice.

• Love 3

Elliot and Quentin spending a while life together and raising a family was totally insane, even by this shows standards. They seemed to have a happy life (even raising a family!) and its heart breaking that the whole thing undone, and now they have all their memories of a family that doesn't exist. It was sweet seeing how they stayed together for so long and had such a lasting friendship. I really do like their relationship (unfortunate three ways notwithstanding) and I hope they deal with this a bit more. I mean, I knew this couldn't stick, but still! Also nice seeing Jane (both of her) again, with a tie in to the Beast plot from back in the day. 

Poor Margot is always dealing with something! She finds a sweet arranged husband, only to have to watch him to butchered by his sociopath of a brother who she now has to marry. I guess her asking if Micah was a "shooting women with crossbows" prince was foreshadowing. Its wasn't him, it was the little brother thats the Joffrey of the family! We should have seen it coming! And poor Micah was hot too! That little shit better get his. 

The messenger bunnies and their 30 pack a day voices are still one of my favorite things ever. 

Did I miss why Kady is so pissed at Penny? I get that she fell apart after he died, but its not that he wanted to die and become a ghost or anything. He made some bad life choices, but this current issue really isn't his fault to the point where she doesn't even want to see him, or at all really.

• Love 3

Awwww, watching the time lapse of Eliot and Quentin spending a lifetime together was so sweet and it broke my heart when Eliot died, leaving Quentin all alone. 

I can’t lie - when they first kissed, I yelled, “OMG THEY’RE GOING THERE!!”

What I really loved was that they made it clear that Eliot was NOT a separate entity from Quentin’s wife and son. When they remembered what happened, Eliot said, “We had a family.” 

And poor Margo - not only being forced to marry that murderous psycho, but getting a letter on her wedding night from Quentin that said Eliot had died. Man, the look on her face. 

As bitchy as the fairy queen is, I had to laugh when she handed Margo a special lacy wedding eyepatch. 

• Love 14

I had a lot of emotions while I was watching this but when Quentin "solved" the mosaic I thought the whole thing was kind of beautiful. Of course the task wasn't the beauty of life. 

I suspected last episode that the Fairy Queen was actually on Margot's side and all her behaviour is about "pushing" her to be a powerful Queen and this pretty well confirmed it. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Did I miss why Kady is so pissed at Penny? I get that she fell apart after he died, but its not that he wanted to die and become a ghost or anything. He made some bad life choices, but this current issue really isn't his fault to the point where she doesn't even want to see him, or at all really.

I was wondering that too. I didn't like Kady's reaction. If someone you love dies, you would do anything to be able to see and talk to them again. Yelling at them doesn't make any sense. She's mad that he's an astral projection? He's dead and somehow she makes it all about her? Ugh Kady.

And Julia, who was supposed to be helping Alice, also makes it all about herself. Of course.

I liked seeing Elliot and Q living and loving together for a lifetime. I can't imagine, though, that they didn't give up on that mosaic at some point and try to get out of Fillory somehow. But at least they got a key that can control time? It's interesting that they now remember that alternate timeline.

Poor Margo. She finally might have had a moment of happiness with her new husband, only to see him killed like that in front of her. It was pretty weird that the mother didn't have much reaction to her younger son murdering her older son. It seems that the fairy queen needs that army for something.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Did margo let the other Prince out of jail.. Seeing as he didn't attempt to kill Prince charming.. It was his lil shitbird brother... 

I was wondering the same thing. It seems like she completely forgot in the midst of watching her "future husband" have his head chopped off in front of her. This is one of the first times I can remember her being completely and totally horrified. I feel like he will end up being the one to take out current Prince. 

3 hours ago, KaleyFirefly said:

I was wondering that too. I didn't like Kady's reaction. If someone you love dies, you would do anything to be able to see and talk to them again. Yelling at them doesn't make any sense. She's mad that he's an astral projection? He's dead and somehow she makes it all about her? Ugh Kady.

She tried to save him even before he "died" and failed. I think that's what she's hung up on. I took it that she blamed herself for all of it and it was upset with Penny since she had no clue that he couldn't communicate with her but tried. They're both deeply flawed people. So she had nearly everything figured out except for him astral projecting. Her anger is misplaced but she was already falling apart. She did OD not too long ago.

8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Julia's got some god power. Huh. With the talk about magic as religion, I hope no one builds a church worshipping her. 

After all the talk about Gods not listening to or responding to normal people Julia finally managed to get something that could allow her to help those around her and she wants to give it away? That's typical Julia. Yes, it came from a bad place but it seems that Our Lady wants her to do something good with it and has been trying to guide her into using it for that purpose like when she saved Kady.

I'm hoping Quentin finds out about this so he can hopefully talk some sense into her: giving Alice power did not work out well last time and won't work out well this time either. It seems like he finally has realized that Alice just isn't the same person as she was before on some level and Julia needs to realize this too. She's like Darth Vader. She may have started out as purely good but when she has power watch out.

• Love 5

Julia has the essence of a god who hurt her badly. She saw her eyes glowing the same way Reynard's did when he stood above her and raped her. She also was pregnant with him and lost part of her soul with the baby (and that's only a part of what happened with Reynard). I think she has the right to feel how she does right now: forced to always be in the presence of her aggressor.

Kady is most likely going through the natural mourning/loss passage. Being angry at a person you've lost, for not being here, for abandoning you, not honoring their part of the relationship... even if the other party is not responsible.

• Love 10

Forgot to add last night that I've been lowkey shipping Eliot and Quentin for a while and seeing them live a life together was really kind of sweet despite them being stuck working on that puzzle their whole lives. I'm really happy they got to remember it. I like that everyone in the group has bonded in different ways.

• Love 6

Jesus,  can't Margo get a fucking break, she's had it so rough over the past ten episodes.  I wanted her to get her dream guy so bad.   I can't wait for her to just start killing people.

At this point I'm kinda over Alice, Julia and Kady.  Their so melodramatic and their stories always seem like the weaker parts of episodes. 

Nice seeing Jane again,  I've missed her. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 7

Wow. I've been critical of this show for that past two seasons, but this season is just hitting it out of the ballpark. I don't know if it's really gotten that much better or I'm just softening to it but this one really blew me away. The whole concept of Quentin and Eliot spending an entire life together is absolutely profound. Fillory is rather obviously based on Narnia, and one of the things about the Narnia books I always found the most disturbing was the idea of Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy all growing up into adulthood in Narnia and then being turned back into children after 10-15 years. And it really seems like Eliot, Margo, Quentin and Alice are the Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy of Fillory - destined to be kings and queens, defeat the beast, and restore magic. So many parallels.

I've always said this show was overly ambitious but they managed to pull off this concept of time lapsing an entire lifetime for two people exceedingly well. It was truly touching in a way that's almost unexpected for a show like this.

On a lighter note, I'd love to know who's doing the voice for the talking bunnies. When you think of talking bunnies, you think about Thumper in Bambie. Some kind of high-pitched, childlike voice. You don't imagine a bunny would sound like an aging asthmatic. "Now, dickwads" was hilarious.

• Love 8

I'm stuck feeling really unsettled by this whole episode. For all that there were things which were great, there was just an overall sadness hanging over it. Nothing went the way it should have. I felt horrible for poor Margo! And while the Quentin/Eliot life was sweet on one hand, I kept imagining them missing their other friends, and the friends left behind who were missing them...not knowing where or how they might have been lost. And having had Q turn to Eliot physically for at least a moment (I guess it's up to the individual viewer to decide whether it was any more than a night), leaving Eliot to have just that fleeting memory for the rest of a life of presumed celibacy to sustain him...Even though they were all a family in the end and led lives with a devoted meaning behind them, it must have still been a difficult and lonesome existence on many levels.

Not that I didn't like the episode - I did. I thought it was well done and incredibly complex in the way it wove all the stories and elements together. I had watched a chunk of season 1 last night (around episodes 4 to 8-ish) since I couldn't get access to this episode until this morning, and kept noticing a lot of foreshadowing and such, which really makes it seem that the whole show is not as random and made-up-as-they-go-along as it sometimes appears to be.

I usually have to watch each episode at least two or three times to really get it straight in my mind, and while this past episode is no different in that regard, I just don't feel as though  I can go through all that again right away! 

• Love 2

OMG y'all this was a crackin' good episode and not just because of the QuEl. ;) Margo was on fire in this one, her story is getting so good and I loved the Julia/Alice stuff. That's a pair that hasn't had much time together.

That puzzle was solved because of love, friendship and a life well lived. I thought that was beautiful.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Wow. I've been critical of this show for that past two seasons, but this season is just hitting it out of the ballpark. I don't know if it's really gotten that much better or I'm just softening to it but this one really blew me away.

Season 1 had some pacing issues because of the amount of information it was trying to impart and season 2 was mostly prologue to the loss of magic. Now the show has finally kicked into gear. So, yes, this season is much better because it's the culmination of two seasons of set up.

The whole concept of Quentin and Eliot spending an entire life together is absolutely profound. Fillory is rather obviously based on Narnia, and one of the things about the Narnia books I always found the most disturbing was the idea of Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy all growing up into adulthood in Narnia and then being turned back into children after 10-15 years. And it really seems like Eliot, Margo, Quentin and Alice are the Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy of Fillory - destined to be kings and queens, defeat the beast, and restore magic. So many parallels.

There is so much going on thematically in this show about entitlement and privilege and basing it around a giant religious parable about Victorian-era rich kids who never grow up - while simultaneously subverting that story - is the best thing about it.

48 minutes ago, festivus said:

That puzzle was solved because of love, friendship and a life well lived. I thought that was beautiful.

Me too. I loved it.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

They just keep shitting on Margo.

True but at least they've been pointing it out as they do it. That makes me think that she's due for some tremendous revenge by the end of the season. Everybody knows that Margot is awesome, even Jane Chatwin...and she's fucking dead.

• Love 3

One thing I really loved is that Quentin and Eliot never gave up on solving the puzzle. Decades went by and despite the love of Peaches and Quentin Jr, which could have distracted them, Eliot and Quentin were still trying to solve the puzzle and get the key, knowing that this was their quest. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, KaleyFirefly said:

I liked seeing Elliot and Q living and loving together for a lifetime. I can't imagine, though, that they didn't give up on that mosaic at some point and try to get out of Fillory somehow. But at least they got a key that can control time? It's interesting that they now remember that alternate timeline.

I get the feeling that its not an alternate timeline in Fillory which is why Quentin and Elliot remember it once they go back to Fillory.

It can't really be explained that the mosaic was solved in the book unless they did.  That Jane had the key on her body.  That Quentin had someone deliver the letter to Margo and it was still there when they came back with her.

I'm pretty sure if they ran an Ancestry.com DNA test that a good portion of Fillorians would be X% Quentin.

It also makes me wonder if some of the legends about the children of Earth ruling Fillory via pop culture trivia test was a result of stories Elliot told Quentin's son and grandkids.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

It also makes me wonder if some of the legends about the children of Earth ruling Fillory via pop culture trivia test was a result of stories Elliot told Quentin's son and grandkids.

I missed this!  When did they talk about trivia tests?  Season 1?

• Love 1

Premiere of season 2 I think..

They actually took the trivia test.  Its how Margo, Elliot, Alice, and Quentin became the Kings and Queens of Fillory with Elliot and Margo as the High King / Queen (or something) and actually ruling.

There was a Knight and a Dirty Dancing monologue/impression by Elliot and questions about 90s music and TV.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I'm pretty sure if they ran an Ancestry.com DNA test that a good portion of Fillorians would be X% Quentin.

I like this! I like this a lot! It explains so much that would otherwise be random. It also explains why Elliot, not Quentin, was chosen to be High King because Quentin couldn't marry his descendants.

• Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Premiere of season 2 I think..

They actually took the trivia test.  Its how Margo, Elliot, Alice, and Quentin became the Kings and Queens of Fillory with Elliot and Margo as the High King / Queen (or something) and actually ruling.

There was a Knight and a Dirty Dancing monologue/impression by Elliot and questions about 90s music and TV.

Don’t forget about Wilson Phillips!

ETA:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I am sooo sick of the fairy queen & Fillory. I don't have any idea of what she's doing or what her motivation is & at this point, I don't care. Move that story on already.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, doram said:

... it just hit me that this is the reason why Penny found two Elliot "life" books in the Library. 

OOOOHHHH!  I didn't even think of that!  I love hints that the writers planned things out so far in advance.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, doram said:

Oooh, I'm not usually a fan of ship-switching in a show, but now I can't see anything but Quentin+Elliot. LOL!

Aaaaand ... it just hit me that this is the reason why Penny found two Elliot "life" books in the Library. 

Lord help me, me too. That just blows the conversation we were having an episode or two ago to shit. :) I'm not usually a shipper, I swear! I will say though if they just stay friends I'll be fine. I love their friendship and I also find each one of their friendships with Margo very touching. I've been re-watching season one, and I forgot that Quentin and Margo had some really great moments.

I get the feeling that its not an alternate timeline in Fillory which is why Quentin and Elliot remember it once they go back to Fillory.

I meant to reply to this, sorry it won't let me attribute the quote in an edit. Anyway, I thought so too and I think we'll be seeing some of Quentin's descendants at some point.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 2

I'd like to know the math on how long Eliot and Q were in Fillory as the grew old together. They arrived sometime in the 1940s. Both men are in their early 20s. How old do you think they were by the time Eliot died? Because it would only be about 70-75 years until they reached present day - at which time they could have very well run into their younger selves.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, doram said:

Oooh, I'm not usually a fan of ship-switching in a show, but now I can't see anything but Quentin+Elliot. LOL!

3 hours ago, festivus said:

Lord help me, me too. That just blows the conversation we were having an episode or two ago to shit. :) I'm not usually a shipper, I swear! I will say though if they just stay friends I'll be fine. I love their friendship and I also find each one of their friendships with Margo very touching.

I thought this was very interesting in the context of that conversation. When they kissed I said, "ask and ye shall receive" but then the point of the plotline wasn't romance so that was even better. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, festivus said:

Lord help me, me too. That just blows the conversation we were having an episode or two ago to shit. :) I'm not usually a shipper, I swear! I will say though if they just stay friends I'll be fine.

I can't remember what happened to that king that Elliot married? Or was going to marry? He got turned into a rat, then they fixed that and turned him human again...but what happened to his relationship with Elliot?

• Love 1

Hopefully we'll get some more follow up on the life they lived out and ? reset? 
Maybe their corpses are still in Fillory and the time loop only effected the Earth versions, which would explain how they remember a life they didn't live out. It's a real head scratcher. 

I think it's amusing that Quentin gets to have so much interaction with Jane, his childhood idol and escapist fantasy outlet.

It would have been nice if Jane said that Margot could visit the Clock Barrens any time she wanted so she could have a time out from the whole Fairy Queen subterfuge plotline. Or even if she stayed for ten minutes to have a nap. Royal politicking seems like a lot of hard work. 

I'm kind of curious what the Fairy Queen has over the Mountain Queen/leader. 

9 hours ago, festivus said:

Anyway, I thought so too and I think we'll be seeing some of Quentin's descendants at some point.

I agree we'll see the descendants at some point.  I also tend to think that Elliot, Quentin, and Margo will keep this too themselves and that meeting a descendent witll be how Alice or Julia find out about it.

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'd like to know the math on how long Eliot and Q were in Fillory as the grew old together. They arrived sometime in the 1940s. Both men are in their early 20s. How old do you think they were by the time Eliot died? Because it would only be about 70-75 years until they reached present day - at which time they could have very well run into their younger selves.

They showed up when the North spire was being built which was "decades before the Chatwins arrived".  I think the Chatwins first went to Fillory around WWII.  Given Jane's age when Quentin solved the mosaic, 1940's are probably closer to when they died than when they arrived.  Although Jane's ability to travel through time makes all that a little wishy washy.

I do think there is a chance that Quentin's grandkids are still living in Fillory. 

I'm envisioning a scene where Penny, Julia, and Alice, not having been told about the time travel life, get introduced to Quentin's grandfather aged grandchild while Elliot is explaining to his full grown baby daughter.

• Love 1

In the video above, the makeup artist said that Eliot and Quentin were being aged to about 73. We know that Quentin met Arielle during the first year he was in Fillory and it looks like their son was born shortly thereafter, so he's about 20 years younger than Quentin. That means the son was about 50 when Eliot died and Quentin finally solved the puzzle. If that happened in the 1940s (based on Jane's presence and clothing), then the son was born around 1890. If you figure that people get married and have kids between the ages of 20 and 30, then Quentin's great-great-great-grandchildren were born around 1990 and are around the same age as Quentin et al. I hope that doesn't mean that we will get some sort of surprise reveal that one of the existing characters is Quentin's descendant. I'd rather it be a new character. Heh, or maybe Jane's time loops made it possible for Quentin to be his own grandpa!

• Love 2

Two small details I loved about Quentin and Eliot's time in Fillory:

(1) The blanket that is shown throughout their life in Fillory has a mosaic pattern on it which echos their very reason for being in Fillory. I'm sure someone who is familiar with quilting could tell you the exact name of the pattern. My mother in law quilts but I do not so the only name I remember is the Around the World quilt which is similar but I'm not sure if the one shown here is exactly the same. We see Quentin and Eliot sitting on this quilt on top of the mosaic when Quentin kisses Eliot. We see it again later when Quentin and his son are asleep on the bed and Eliot puts the quilt on top of them. We see it for the last time when Eliot dies and Quentin wraps it around him for burial.

(2) Quentin's beard ponytail cracked me up. It was like the old man version of his man bun.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, KaleyFirefly said:

I can't remember what happened to that king that Elliot married? Or was going to marry? He got turned into a rat, then they fixed that and turned him human again...but what happened to his relationship with Elliot?

I can't either. I feel like we haven't seen him again. I'm watching the 2nd season again right now so I'll keep my eye out.

I'm kind of confused about the time also. I think it runs differently than Earth but I can't remember if it's faster or slower. And 73? Eliot died at 73? That's sad. :(

I can already see one of Quentin's descendants marrying Eliot's daughter.

ETA: The kid that played Quentin's son looked familiar to me but I couldn't find him listed in the episode credits at IMDB.

Edited by festivus
10 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

In the video above, the makeup artist said that Eliot and Quentin were being aged to about 73. We know that Quentin met Arielle during the first year he was in Fillory and it looks like their son was born shortly thereafter, so he's about 20 years younger than Quentin. That means the son was about 50 when Eliot died and Quentin finally solved the puzzle. If that happened in the 1940s (based on Jane's presence and clothing), then the son was born around 1890. If you figure that people get married and have kids between the ages of 20 and 30, then Quentin's great-great-great-grandchildren were born around 1990 and are around the same age as Quentin et al. I hope that doesn't mean that we will get some sort of surprise reveal that one of the existing characters is Quentin's descendant. I'd rather it be a new character. Heh, or maybe Jane's time loops made it possible for Quentin to be his own grandpa!

Now my head hurts...!

Actually, Quentin's being is own grandpa was the first place my mind went, given the way this show likes to work, though, realistically, one would think there would be family lore of some sort if he was a direct descendant, only two or three generations removed from someone who had grown up in a magical land. So while I do think they will complete that circle somewhere along the line, it won't be quite as direct.

The makeup made them seem quite a bit older than 73 to my eye, but they didn't really have a very easy life, working on that puzzle day in, day out, so maybe it aged them.

I actually got the impression that a little more time had gone by between the time they arrived and Quentin's son was born. And Quentin is probably more like 24 in present day, as a graduate student who has been in Brakebills for a couple of years now (I think a couple of years have gone by, no? Alice was saying in one of the other scenes that she wished she was 23 again). So I'm thinking that Q was more like 27 or so by the time his son was born. Not that it really matters all that much.

• Love 1

Inside the episode:

Well it looks like that solves the mystery of who is providing the voice for the bunnies. Story editor Mike Moore has the exact same voice.

Clip: Eliot & Quentin's life in Fillory

I need to go back and watch the episode again because I swear SyFy cut some of that out.

I loved this episode so, so much. I’ve already watched it twice and will probably watch it another time or two before Wednesday. Thank you for posting the Eliot + Quentin life segment above - so beautiful.

Although... Rupert? Why name his son the same name as The Beast? I mean, the scenes never mention his name, so maybe it was an oversight when they named the character out of show.

2 hours ago, daisycat said:

Although... Rupert? Why name his son the same name as The Beast? I mean, the scenes never mention his name, so maybe it was an oversight when they named the character out of show.

Martin was The Beast. The other brother was Rupert.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 1