Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Pimple Popper - General Discussion

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Has anyone seen the ads for the new TLC show called Bad Hair?  It’s coming on on Wednesday nights.  I may start a thread about it.  

I set my DVR after seeing the first promo.  Those poor people!!

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

I set my DVR after seeing the first promo.  Those poor people!!

I thought it looked interesting.  It’s amazing how people suffer with various  conditions.  I think I’ll watch it first, then start a thread.  And correction on the name. It’s actually Bad Hair Day.  

• Useful 1

It will be interesting to see if they're able to restore REAL and growable hair.  I know there are some "miracles" with sewn in hair that's not natural and won't grow.  I already feel so sorry for the participants.

I feel like the “discuss the skin condition with a friend/family member” conversations are getting more ridiculous. The hairdresser was discussing  her lipoma with her colleague while doing someone’s hair! That poor woman getting her hair done while being forced to listen to a conversation about the third boob lipoma. At least this wasn’t My Feet Are Killing Me because then the hairdresser would have taken off her shoe while operating the curling iron. 

Edited by Athena5217
Correct typo
  • Like 3
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3

This may have been a rerun and it is always annoying to see the episodes when they try to cram in a theme. But scraggly dyed-red-bearded unshaven dude? Your lipoma is not the only reason you don’t have a girlfriend. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, jcbrown said:

This may have been a rerun and it is always annoying to see the episodes when they try to cram in a theme. But scraggly dyed-red-bearded unshaven dude? Your lipoma is not the only reason you don’t have a girlfriend. 

I was hoping she'd need to remove it.
And did anyone else fast forward through the Christmas photo stuff?  I want pops, and photos.
Now watching last week's show but will fast forward past the stretched ear lobes.  They are the only things so far, that I can't watch.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, auntjess said:

And did anyone else fast forward through the Christmas photo stuff?  I want pops, and photos.

I absolutely fast-forwarded through the stupid Christmas photo stuff. I don't care at all about her cutesy interactions with her staff.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, Emkat said:

The dumb photoshoots; the skin tag snowglobe...no professional would do things like that. It's just become ridiculous. 

There have been a lot of CREEPY antics on this show, but a Skin Tag Snowglobe?  That has to be beyond the pale.   From some online dictionary:  

"What does beyond the Pale mean?  Of a person or their behaviour: outside the bounds of what is acceptable, or regarded as good judgment, morality, ethics, etc."

THEN I had to look up the reason "Pale" was capitalized. "In the 16th and 17th centuries, the parts of Ireland under English jurisdiction were called 'the Pale.' And 'the Pale' was also used to refer to the French territory of Calais under English jurisdiction." 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I don't care at all about her cutesy interactions with her staff.

Me neither. And I think the love for her staff is mostly for show. I don't get the sense that they adore her.

I've been missing Save My Skin. I hope that's still in production.

• Like 5
On 12/17/2022 at 4:12 PM, Mondrianyone said:

I've been missing Save My Skin. I hope that's still in production.

Yes, there's a new one set to air this Wednesday, 12/21, at 11PM ET.
"A patient with itchy, pus-filled lesions across his entire body..." and 2 other cases.

Edited by auntjess
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

On having  all the staff at the Christmas party, I'd bet they get TLC money for appearing, and their family can see them, so it is a perk they may enjoy.
Unrelated, I've seen a show on the schedule for TLC, Awake Surgery, but haven't gotten up the nerve to peek at it.
Did anyone?

On 1/1/2023 at 7:12 PM, auntjess said:

On having  all the staff at the Christmas party, I'd bet they get TLC money for appearing, and their family can see them, so it is a perk they may enjoy.
Unrelated, I've seen a show on the schedule for TLC, Awake Surgery, but haven't gotten up the nerve to peek at it.
Did anyone?

I was intrigued by "Awake Surgery," but after the first episode I deleted my timer.  I thought it would be true horror stories of people waking up during surgery, but 'm not really interested in the technique to perform surgery on someone who is awake.  So they can order take-out? Not for me.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Kath94 said:

I was intrigued by "Awake Surgery," but after the first episode I deleted my timer.  I thought it would be true horror stories of people waking up during surgery, but 'm not really interested in the technique to perform surgery on someone who is awake.  So they can order take-out? Not for me.

Let me know if you'd like the details of me waking up during a knee replacement.  LOL.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2

I don't see that there's an issue.  This woman (I looked her up) is a board certified dermatologist with great credentials, may have Asian heritage, has a last name that is hard to spell so goes by Dr. Z, and apparently has 856.3K Tik Tok followers (whatever the heck that means) - the only thing that reminded me of Dr. Lee was the shot from the back - their hair is similar - but from the front she looks a lot younger than Dr. Lee.  I'm sure there is nothing to see here...LOL!

And I'm still not going to watch Tik Tok.

• Like 4

I don't get grossed-out easily (or I wouldn't be watching this show) but that snow globe she made using all the skin tags removed from that guy's neck ... grossed-out!

Somehow I missed this! Ewwww! That would be like Dr. Now making a Christmas stocking from the stomach he removed from a bariatric patient. 

The one time I got truly grossed out was when she lanced that giant cyst on that bald man's knee. Seeing the contents of that cyst permanently put me off cottage cheese. 

I will be watching tomorrow night. I like Dr. Lee and I find her line of work very interesting. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Somehow I missed this! Ewwww! That would be like Dr. Now making a Christmas stocking from the stomach he removed from a bariatric patient. 

The one time I got truly grossed out was when she lanced that giant cyst on that bald man's knee. Seeing the contents of that cyst permanently put me off cottage cheese. 

I will be watching tomorrow night. I like Dr. Lee and I find her line of work very interesting. 

Is a new season starting tomorrow evening?  For some reason, I am fascinated by the show (different cases Dr. Lee is faced with treating) AND I find Dr. Lee extremely personable and expert in her profession.  I really miss seeing some new episodes.

• Like 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Is a new season starting tomorrow evening?  For some reason, I am fascinated by the show (different cases Dr. Lee is faced with treating) AND I find Dr. Lee extremely personable and expert in her profession.  I really miss seeing some new episodes.

I found an article online that says it premieres tonight on TLC.

I tried to link it but technology is not my friend.

Edited by RoxiP
Afterthought.
  • Like 3

I noticed a new show about a female urologist in Chicago will be on after Dr. Pimple Popper. Judging by the cases listed in my channel guide summary, I have to assume the show will be one hour of a blurred screen.

• Like 3
  • LOL 6
10 hours ago, Pi237 said:

Why did they rush all those pops at the end!?! All that talking & rehashing, we could’ve enjoyed those pops without flying through them!

And those were the nice juicy kind of pops...LOL!

• Like 2

It’s just evil that American insurance companies won’t cover most removals, calling them ‘cosmetic.’ She gets these things done in her office, in a few hours, and in most cases, less than that.  And these people’s lives are improved drastically.  Yet, most are made to suffer their whole lives because they can’t afford it, or their stories are sad or shocking enough to get on tv. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 1

Wow...Kenny's face was completely transformed by the removal of the tumors. I hope that he can keep going back every couple of months to have more of them removed. (I respect that Dr. Lee keeps a sharp eye on the amount of numbing she does.) I wondered if his teeth were messed up because of his condition, and sure enough, she commented on that.

The lady with the lip needed a plastic surgeon, and fortunately, Dr. Lee qualifies. So often on the show, people get "I can't do anything about that" from a doctor who has no interest in finding someone who does. (I also did not know that mucous membranes can heal without stitches).

As for the autistic man and his mom...that was heartbreaking that she both couldn't find people who were covered by her insurance AND that she had to find someone who could deal with both his skin condition and his autism. That was a perfect job for Dr. Lee.

Along with the grizzly pops, Sandra Lee is a lovely human. The combination makes this a great show.

• Like 10
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Or on ANYONE ELSE'S FACE!!!!

We're at an age where new skin irregularities show up a lot.  First thing I do is go to Dr. Google and view pictures of potential causes.  I don't think I'd have had to go far to see a picture of that bleeding red bump and find out it was probably cancerous.

• Like 3

I look at this show with different eyes since having my Moh’s surgery last year.  I strongly encourage annual skin screenings.  I got in quick after noticing a spot that didn’t heal.  It wasn’t red or bleeding though.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2

There are several times when I've wished this show would let us know exactly HOW LONG some of these procedures took.  Several years ago I had MOHS surgery on a tiny dot at the corner of my eye.  It took hours!

• Like 6

It’s also clear that there’s a lot of testing that goes on in advance, like MRI’s for lipomas. It not like the patient gets off a plane, stops off at Dr. Lee’s tent, and heads to the back for a procedure.

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Rickster said:

It’s also clear that there’s a lot of testing that goes on in advance, like MRI’s for lipomas. It not like the patient gets off a plane, stops off at Dr. Lee’s tent, and heads to the back for a procedure

Would there be enough interest in an entire show...or maybe 1/2...that features everything some of Dr. Lee's "difficult" patients go through before actually sitting in her operating chair?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

The woman with the miasma struck me as someone who just spent too much time looking at herself on social media. Yes, she had a skin condition, but I doubt I would have even noticed it if I saw her in RL.

• Like 14

There is way too much backstory in this show now. I don't need to dwell on how awful the patients' lives are. A bit of context is fine but an hour for only three patients is ridiculous.

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

There is way too much backstory in this show now. I don't need to dwell on how awful the patients' lives are. A bit of context is fine but an hour for only three patients is ridiculous.

Maybe I’m mistaken, but hasn’t the show always been three patients? I do think they’re showing more backstory with less time on the procedures than they used to.

We DVR it and skip at least half of the backstory for most patients.

• Like 10
33 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Maybe I’m mistaken, but hasn’t the show always been three patients? I do think they’re showing more backstory with less time on the procedures than they used to.

We DVR it and skip at least half of the backstory for most patients.

Entirely possible and you're probably right that what I am really reacting to is less time on the condition/procedure and more time on the pathos. <shakes cane>

• Like 3

I know!  That man with the cysts on his head - we basically saw her do the one big pop and then barely got a glance at the rest of a few of them and there were at least 7.  I'm sorry he lost his girlfriend and quite honestly had the nicest not stepdaughter ever but enough of that!

I fell asleep when the woman with the eczema was talking so I'll have to go back and watch the doctor portion.

• Like 5