Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. Pimple Popper - General Discussion

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, GaT said:

The woman with the miasma struck me as someone who just spent too much time looking at herself on social media. Yes, she had a skin condition, but I doubt I would have even noticed it if I saw her in RL.

Her whole part of the episode seemed like an advertisement for her to get more followers on social media.  

• Like 11
4 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Her whole part of the episode seemed like an advertisement for her to get more followers on social media.  

I just think when you see something - -whether extreme or minor -- it is magnified every time you look in a mirror.  You don't focus on the overall good but instead on that tiny little flaw.  In this day and age where so many people have become obsessed with social media I think it is getting worse.  It might be a form of narcissism but to her it is a huge problem.  I hope she gets help (but do wonder why it took her a while to get her prescriptions started).

I am happy the woman with eczema got some relief.  My niece had severe eczema from an early age and has scars on her joints to this day - it is no joke.

• Like 7
On 4/20/2023 at 6:39 PM, Rickster said:

We DVR it and skip at least half of the backstory for most patients

That's what I do too, but after the success of the man who lost his girlfriend and is supported by her daughter (is SHE a teenager decades away from dermatology? a college student), I had to go back to the beginning to find out what happened.  Most of the time none of the patients compel me to do that.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Useful 1

That cancer was huge, and I was glad, but surprised, that he hadn't waited way too long.
For the man with diabetes, when he comes back, I hope she's managed to wrangle one of those automatic monitors that you wear for him.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, auntjess said:

That cancer was huge, and I was glad, but surprised, that he hadn't waited way too long.
For the man with diabetes, when he comes back, I hope she's managed to wrangle one of those automatic monitors that you wear for him.

Yes, I’m glad the patient with diabetes seemed to have improved health.  I do wish they had explained that he was Type II, not Type I. (Type I’s take insulin and monitor their blood sugar levels throughout the day and night. A type  II would be able to check just once a day and take pills, though sometimes insulin as well. A CGM is a great way to monitor it too.  I actually know of some Type II’s who wear pumps and Continuous glucose monitor. ) The follow up looked positive.  

You have to really be careful about any procedures, if you have diabetes, even dental. On the day of the procedure I want my numbers to be extra good to promote better healing. It’s tough, because anxiety can increase it.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2
34 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, I’m glad the patient with diabetes seemed to have improved health.  I do wish they had explained that he was Type II, not Type I. 

Pretty sure Dr. Lee mentioned briefly that he was Type II at some point in the show.

Edited by Rickster
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2

It was interesting that his wife was nowhere to be seen in the follow-up footage. She was clearly pretty unsympathetic to his problem and focused on how it affected her--which became understandable once his attitude toward his health was revealed. I wonder if they split up between the intro and the follow-up.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
9 hours ago, auntjess said:

They didn't say that at the end, only that he was still under investigation.  It didn't sound good.

That may have been among the most disgusting "pops" I've seen, including what was underneath once it was removed.  I get the "I'm scared of doctors, I don't have insurance, I'm in denial" but how do you live with that festering ooze on your body for years (was it a decade?)?

Edited by Quof
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yes, I’m glad the patient with diabetes seemed to have improved health.  I do wish they had explained that he was Type II, not Type I. (Type I’s take insulin and monitor their blood sugar levels throughout the day and night. A type  II would be able to check just once a day and take pills, though sometimes insulin as well. A CGM is a great way to monitor it too.  I actually know of some Type II’s who wear pumps and Continuous glucose monitor. ) The follow up looked positive.  

You have to really be careful about any procedures, if you have diabetes, even dental. On the day of the procedure I want my numbers to be extra good to promote better healing. It’s tough, because anxiety can increase it.  

Was it me or did the bump on his back/neck look like it was getting big again? How soon was it after surgery? 

2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

It was interesting that his wife was nowhere to be seen in the follow-up footage. She was clearly pretty unsympathetic to his problem and focused on how it affected her--which became understandable once his attitude toward his health was revealed. I wonder if they split up between the intro and the follow-up.

His daughter really seemed to love him. I guess the wife was just tired. We don't know how it is to live with someone day to day who can't work and isn't taking care of his health (which might be tied into how negative he was feeling). 

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Was it me or did the bump on his back/neck look like it was getting big again? How soon was it after surgery? 

Yes, there was still a lump there in the final scene.

• Like 4
  • Useful 3

Whenever I see the rerun about the guy with the giant mushroom shaped cancer on his knee, I expect to see a Black Screen of Death at the end of the episode. Dr. Lee didn't sound too hopeful for him and she's usually very upbeat with her patients' prognoses. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
2 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Whenever I see the rerun about the guy with the giant mushroom shaped cancer on his knee, I expect to see a Black Screen of Death at the end of the episode. Dr. Lee didn't sound too hopeful for him and she's usually very upbeat with her patients' prognoses. 

I saw this episode before, so last night catching the end of it, I also expected the same. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kath94 said:
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Yes, there was still a lump there in the final scene.

Yes, Kath94 and libgirl2 !!    I believe we've NEVER seen someone with that "later" result.  No doubt, she will get a lot of letters/messages about it.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Back Atcha said:

Yes, Kath94 and libgirl2 !!    I believe we've NEVER seen someone with that "later" result.  No doubt, she will get a lot of letters/messages about it.

Just what I thought. I can only recall one person who's bump came back--- was it Patrick? 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

His daughter really seemed to love him. I guess the wife was just tired. We don't know how it is to live with someone day to day who can't work and isn't taking care of his health (which might be tied into how negative he was feeling). 

"His daughter really seemed to love him. I guess the wife was just tired. We don't know how it is to live with someone day to day who can't work and isn't taking WON'T TAKE care of his health (which might be tied into how negative he was feeling)."

"Won't," is probably the MOST irritating--and now he brings a television crew into her kitchen!!!   It's possible she hadn't seen him for months...and he graced her with a visit only because Production asked if there was somewhere they could work "inside."

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I watched a show labeled "The Man With No Jaw," and it was really an Awake Surgery episode, and she just does things like Dr Lee, numbing for liposuction, and removes excess skin.
I was expecting totally awake patients having an appendectomy or such.
I want my time back!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I watched a show labeled "The Man With No Jaw," and it was really an Awake Surgery episode, and she just does things like Dr Lee, numbing for liposuction, and removes excess skin.
I want my time back!

And, really..."The Man with no Jaw" ????   I knew a man who's mother lost her jaw to smoking-related cancer.  It remains somewhere in the back of my mind.  So horrifying--the poor woman.  She had NO JAW!  This guy just had a wife who wanted to be on TV.  I agree, I want my time back too.  I'll watch again if they promise he will be back in three months and has that "chiseled jaw" his wife loves so much.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

Yeah, the wife said, "twenty years ago he had a chiseled jaw and defined chin." Well, twenty years ago (per those photos) he was probably 40 pounds lighter.

The same thing could have been achieved with a diet.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Kenzie said:
  5 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

That wasn't MY quote...although I did repeat it and comment.  Fixing like this, AuntJess.

6 hours ago, auntjess said:

I want my time back!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

If I had skin like that one guy, I would be using Brillo pads to exfoliate. That just looked awful. 

On another note, I'm hoping that perhaps some DENTIST on Long Island, N.Y. where the guy lived, saw the episode and would contact the show to DONATE his/her services to get him some much needed TEETH!!

I'm not sure how he survives financially as he obviously couldn't work with the pre-Dr. Lee medication; however, even with his prospective girlfriend/roommate who must help with his expenses, it wouldn't be realistic to think he could afford the dental work.  I KNOW from personal experience how expensive cosmetic dental work can be.  

I'm not sure whether the dentist would have to pull all his teeth and fit him for dentures, instead; however, whatever it would take to get this lovely man "presentable" and able to EAT normally, would be worth it!  

• Like 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, pdlinda said:

On another note, I'm hoping that perhaps some DENTIST on Long Island, N.Y. where the guy lived, saw the episode and would contact the show to DONATE his/her services to get him some much needed TEETH!!

I'm not sure how he survives financially as he obviously couldn't work with the pre-Dr. Lee medication; however, even with his prospective girlfriend/roommate who must help with his expenses, it wouldn't be realistic to think he could afford the dental work.  I KNOW from personal experience how expensive cosmetic dental work can be.  

I'm not sure whether the dentist would have to pull all his teeth and fit him for dentures, instead; however, whatever it would take to get this lovely man "presentable" and able to EAT normally, would be worth it!  

I was just complaining about dental expenses. I have had numerous procedures in my mouth for years. I had an implant for a cracked tooth that costs in the thousands. Insurance considered it "cosmetic" and wouldn't pay. When I had a back molar crack, I just had them pull it as no one will see it. Now I have bone loss and infection in one molar. I went the route of having a root canal because that costs around 1/10 of an implant. Implant isn't off the table though. 

I'm lucky I have insurance and can cover most of my costs, but I am no longer surprised when I see people missing teeth. I am very good cleaning my teeth and eat a healthy diet.... but its just the way things are. 

One more note, my mother had awful teeth and needed a bridge replacement. She ended up going to the DR to get it done. We have family there so she didn't have to pay for a hotel. IT costs her less (air fare and procedure) than getting it done here. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2

I agree about the guy needing dental work.  It’s pricy. Even with insurance, I’ve recently incurred very large bills with a needed root canal, extraction of old crown over old root canal that fractured!  And bone graft for future implant!  It’s crazy!  

Why did that mom have to strut her bare behind around the town with her kids?  That was funny!  

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Why did that mom have to strut her bare behind around the town with her kids?  

Some sob story about HAVING to wear shorts because she's in Florida and it's hawwwwwt!  B.S.   Dear Mom:  Your very heavy friend joined you and supported you. Do you think the heat doesn't bother her MORE than it bothers you? Yet she didn't utter a peep about the heat AND she wore jeans--as did one of your kids.

If you're truly humiliated by your condition, try dressing like your friend does.

• Like 2
  • Applause 8

Some sob story about HAVING to wear shorts because she's in Florida and it's hawwwwwt!  B.S.   Dear Mom:  Your very heavy friend joined you and supported you. Do you think the heat doesn't bother her MORE than it bothers you? Yet she didn't utter a peep about the heat AND she wore jeans--as did one of your kids.

If you're truly humiliated by your condition, try dressing like your friend does.

I didn't get that either.  I live in SC and it is hot here also but I wear cotton shorts.  I have never worn jean booty shorts.  Just chino style or better yet seersucker.  If I were her child, I would be so embarrassed for my mom to walk around like that.  Just because it is hot does not mean you need to wear a pair of cut-off booty blue jean shorts.

• Like 6
  • Applause 3

I think for most of the patients, they wear clothes on the show they'd never wear in real life, just to amp up the drama of their situations. Who in her right mind would wear Daisy Dukes if she had a giant tumor falling out of them?

• Like 9

So that means you think she's in her right mind for wearing them?

We see people walking up to her office all the time who are supposedly isolated in their houses because they're so embarrassed by their conditions, with huge forehead bumps and their hair pulled back when they could easily comb their hair over the bump. With enormous arm lipomas, wearing short-sleeved shirts when they could easily conceal the bump with a longer sleeve. And so on. I'm pretty sure production instructs them to dress that way so we can see their skin issues in the most glaring light. Doesn't mean that's how they dress on a regular basis out in public. YMMV.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

I'm pretty sure that the pastor who had a lipoma that looked like an extra scrotum never really wears shorts while mowing the church lawn or riding his bike.  

If I remember correctly, the woman with the large lump hanging out of her shorts was the mother of five children.  I want to believe that production made her wear those cut-offs.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

If I remember correctly, the woman with the large lump hanging out of her shorts was the mother of five children.  I want to believe that production made her wear those cut-offs.

I want to believe the opposite...and that the shorts might have been the cause of some of those children.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I think for most of the patients, they wear clothes on the show they'd never wear in real life, just to amp up the drama of their situations. Who in her right mind would wear Daisy Dukes if she had a giant tumor falling out of them?

I agree.  Some patient should give us the goods.  It would be a funny disclaimer at the end of every show:  "Of course, Dr. Lee's patients don't normally dress like idiots or streetwalkers.  Production requires participants to wear specific items of clothing to allow viewers to see the disfiguring skin conditions that bother them."

Edited by Back Atcha
  • LOL 5

I want to believe the opposite...and that the shorts might have been the cause of some of those children.

.....or ALL of them with more a possibility as the unsightly bulge has been removed😊

• LOL 2

I felt bad for Long Island skin guy...while his condition was marginally improved with treatment, it didn't seem a LOT better. And he's probably got a lot of scarring from years of scratching.

And it's sad that it's so hard for people to have decent dental health in this country. Being able to eat properly is hugely important to overall health.

It also got to me that the neurofibromas  (as Dr. Lee said) can be overwhelming, and it doesn't seem like there's any real treatment for them. A lot of rare diseases don't have a specific treatment, and people are left looking like all the previous patients that were shown.

• Like 4

12 hours ago

I felt bad for Long Island skin guy...while his condition was marginally improved with treatment, it didn't seem a LOT better. And he's probably got a lot of scarring from years of scratching.

Yeah, sometimes she can only do so much to help her patients. Like the woman with the scars on her arms from years of intravenous drug abuse. The laser treatments really didn't diminish the appearance of the scars to a degree where they weren't noticeable anymore. They were still quite visible. 

• Like 5

"I'm not sure I want to remove it" ..... Then why in the hell are you here?  And it seems it took a few quick sessions, it was gone and looked amazing.  

Shad (WTF?) with that disgusting ooze on his head.   Why don't they at least pin back his hair while they work?  You could see stray, scraggly (dirty) hairs getting in the wound as Dr. Lee was digging. How could that be sterile? 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Quof said:

"I'm not sure I want to remove it" ..... Then why in the hell are you here?  And it seems it took a few quick sessions, it was gone and looked amazing.  

Shad (WTF?) with that disgusting ooze on his head.   Why don't they at least pin back his hair while they work?  You could see stray, scraggly (dirty) hairs getting in the wound as Dr. Lee was digging. How could that be sterile? 

I didn't mind her. It was more that she was having issues with that bump bleeding. I can understand her torn about something that has been part of her for her life. Also, I think her mother was a big part of her reluctance. 

• Like 6
(edited)

I thought her mother was very passive aggressive about the port wine stain. It's good that they taught her as a child that it was part of who she was and not to be ashamed of it.

But the bleb, I love that word, was regularly bleeding into her face, so it really was time to take charge of it. I was fascinated to see how the lasers worked. For a long time there was really very little that could be done with port wine stains.

And I love how Dr Lee and the broken cyst guy bonded over having attended the same high school. It's funny when that happens.

Edited by kwnyc
  • Like 7

I found the attitude of the mother odd.  Imo, there was something very off with her.  Who in the world protests your child getting medical attention for a condition that could grow!  Next to your eye!  Crazy town.  I’m sure mom will get over it.  

The guy with the large waist lipoma appears to need more skin removed.  His weight loss story was inspiring.  

So, Dr. Lee grew up in a house that resembles a castle?  Amusing.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kwnyc said:

I thought her mother was very passive aggressive about the port wine stain. It's good that they taught her as a child that it was part of who she was and not to be ashamed of it.

But the bleb, I love that word, was regularly bleeding into her face, so it really was time to take charge of it. I was fascinated to see how the lasers worked. For a long time there was really very little that could be done with port wine stains.

And I love how Dr Lee and the broken cyst guy bonded over having attended the same high school. It's funny when that happens.

Is it possible that when the patient was a child, treatment for it was painful and or not as successful as it is now? Therefore the mother told her to proud of it and maybe got defensive about it too? 

• Like 2

It’s great that she was raised to not be ashamed of her birthmark, as it should be. However, once my grown child decides to get a procedure to improve her appearance, unless it’s fillers or huge boobs, I’m not going to make her feel bad about it. They were acting like she was erasing her whole face and getting a new one. So weird.

However, my annoyance with the daughter was the talking over and over ‘I’m not sure’ then after, a few more times, “I wasn’t sure”  This show needs to cut the crap with the repetitive talking heads, it’s driving me crazy. Say it once, then move the hell on. If you don’t have enough good pops to fill an episode, find more. I guarantee there’s a ton of people out there that need this help. I don’t need to hear ten times “this bothers me. I just want to be myself again. My loved ones are concerned for me…” gah! Shuddap and get Poppin’ And if you’re not sure, go away until you Are. 

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
Just now, Pi237 said:

It’s great that she was raised to not be ashamed of her birthmark, as it should be. However, once my grown child decides to get a procedure to improve her appearance, unless it’s fillers or huge boobs, I’m not going to make her feel bad about it. They were acting like she was erasing her whole face and getting a new one. So weird.

There was a woman in an early season of the show, who talked her son out of getting a large hairy birthmark on his face removed.
So cruel.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I have two female friends, that I’ve known for many years, who both had portwine birthmarks. Their parents were very positive and supportive, but they disliked them very much, though I don’t recall them being teased as teens.  They both had them removed as adults and were thrilled about it.  So, the patient on this episode surprised me.  

• Like 2

As a teenager I worked at a movie theater with a boy who had a portwine stain that covered the entire right side of his face.  It seemed very disfiguring. He was a cute, personable teen.  He worked there most of one summer and never came back.  I didn't see him again for (maybe) 20 years.  I saw him in a grocery store and said, "Curt! Hi! I'm Kay from the Palms Theatre."  He smiled and actually said, "How did you even remember me?"  I have a great memory, so I probably said that.  I think it IS great that he didn't consider himself so unusual that most wouldn't forget him.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, auntjess said:

I wonder at the people who have disfiguring inherited conditions, but still have children, knowing the pain that they may be facing.

There's always hope.   And most of the time, the partner-parent's genes have to mesh to continue those conditions  Hope against hope.

12 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

For a long time there was really very little that could be done with port wine stains.

I have a friend who's 86.  Her parents were wealthy...they had apple groves in their state (not WA, but I've forgotten which state), so...she started treatment on her portwine stain when she was in 6th grade.  Portwine. Every summer through college was spent in excruciating pain from treatments and recovery.  I doubt if laser therapy was available. It almost looked like she had been sand-papered. As soon as she graduated from college, she stopped all treatment.  She was left with mottled/slightly scarred skin, like "something" had been corrected.  It did keep her from being considered beautiful...but her fabulous and sweet personality made up for any disfigurement.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
On 5/19/2023 at 3:09 AM, Back Atcha said:

There's always hope.   And most of the time, the partner-parent's genes have to mesh to continue those conditions  Hope against hope.

I'm currently watching "Dr. Pimple Popper: Pop Ups PopUps: Bubble, Bubble, Ear's in Trouble!" and I wanted to know if this is the first instance of a patient, Susan with neurofibroma having children.

I'm kinda torn when someone with a genetic condition is having children. I know that the genetic probability is 50/50 regardless of the condition whether it be cardiac disease or in this case neurofibroma. However, I feel like the responsible thing would be to not subject another person to the ills some of these conditions inherently have.

In the episode, they even mentioned that her daughter, Faith told producers that she was concerned about having children. 

• Like 1