Type keyword(s) to search

Alone Together - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I think I liked it...yeah I I did like it. I almost think I like it because the commercials they had for it during Freeforms 25 Days of Christmas, where they made fun of Pretty Little Liars all the time, were hilarious. 

Damn it Jerry!

• Love 1
On 1/11/2018 at 3:33 PM, atlantaloves said:

I'm an old coot, and I liked it, however I think both the lead actors are really cute and are suppose to be NOT HOT according to Hollywood......so funny the mindset in that stupid town.

I'm far out of the demo for teen dramas too, but gave this a try and liked it. Which is saying a lot because I loathe Chris D'Elia and audibly groaned when he showed up. I'm hoping his part stays incidental. It helps that he's playing an ass who I'm supposed to scorn.

I hope the end game isn't to make Esther and Benji a couple.

I watched the second episode first, then caught the pilot. I'm actually happy I watched them in this order. I thought the second episode was closer to something I could see them achieving week to week, even if the first had a funnier premise. The first one was packed with so trendy cliches, and trying to be so super "on" that I wasn't sure what they were going for series wise. Had I watched the premiere, I think I'd have been a bit disappointed in the second episode and also feel like it was almost a different show. They truly didn't match a ton. But on it's own, I did find the second episode funny enough, found the interplay between the two interesting and enjoyed their friend, so that's why I DVR'd the pilot to see what else I'd missed. I'll check it out again for sure, but I'm definitely thinking the week to week is going to be way more low key like the second episode instead of the larger cast, bigger ideas, party atmosphere splash of the first.

Edited by JasmineFlower
On 1/18/2018 at 10:06 PM, DrivingSideways said:

I thought the first episode was hilarious.   The second episode was a struggle for me.  I'll continue to give it a try.  I think the actors are great.

Just watched the 3rd episode and while it was ok I just don't see how they can keep it up and I don't think it will be on my lineup.  Maybe if I have absolutely nothing to watch I will catch it on Hulu.

• Love 1
On 2/7/2018 at 9:30 PM, atlantaloves said:

I'm through with this show, I thought I like it, but it faked me out, these two CHILDREN are just too vain for words. 

Ditto. It was the episode with the kids but this week's episode. Esther's vocal fry is starting to grate on my nerves and these two are so self absorbed and narcissistic. I just can't.

Edited by greekmom
spelling!

Episode 6 was the first episode I wasn’t jazzed about but I absolutely love this show.

Esther actually has a great figure but I can buy into her being fat by Hollywood standards. She talks like she has her retainer in all the time, which I find endearing. Benji only has one facial expression but he’s a cutie and still hilarious so I give his watered-down acting a pass.

I’m glad there are still 3 episodes left, hoping for a season two!

3 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Unfortunately, it was already renewed for a second season before the first premiered: http://deadline.com/2017/10/alone-together-renewed-season-2-freeform-lonely-island-esther-povitsky-benji-aflalo-1202190512/

Sorry, but I don't care for the show. Vapid, shallow, neurotic characters we're supposed to root for? Ester plays pretty much the same character on My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. No obvious range.

Woohoo! The actors are still a bit awkward onscreen, kind of like child actors, but I hope they’ll be more comfortable by the time the 2nd season begins filming.

Loved the nostalgia of this episode! It’s sad that I remember that Dream (a wholly forgettable girl group) is who did the song they danced to.

Aw, Brittany Murphy ?

This episode reminds me of how upset I get when people say that Mean Girls is the Clueless of the new generation. Like, bitch? NO. Call me when Mean Girls has the impact on language and fashion that Clueless had.

Anyway, I would have loved Esther’s party! Late 90s/early aughts pop, a Spice World/Clueless double feature, and dancing the choreography from our favorite music videos of the time would be my ideal version of this nostalgia party, LOL.

• Love 2

I love this show. Esther and Benji crack me up. I've recommended it to a few people and people either seem turned off from minute 1 or get sucked in and enjoy the ride. 

Esther's unabashed geeking out over the stuff that was cool when she was young is just so spot on. I will take my Nsync CDs everywhere with me! EVERYWHERE!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Glory said:

I love this show. Esther and Benji crack me up. I've recommended it to a few people and people either seem turned off from minute 1 or get sucked in and enjoy the ride. 

Esther's unabashed geeking out over the stuff that was cool when she was young is just so spot on. I will take my Nsync CDs everywhere with me! EVERYWHERE!

YAAAAAAASSS!!

• Love 1
On 3/22/2018 at 11:56 AM, jumper sage said:

Anyone here?  Loved them wanting to retire and living it up at Benji's borther's apartment complex.

Present!

It would be awesome to have a treasure trove of (legally-acquired) vintage clothes, Esther looked great in everything. LMAO, Pauly Shore was a pretty random get. I actually don’t remember much else about the episode so I’m either really tired or just wasn’t that into it.

Though I have found that “Baby Benji, Baby Benji!” is oddly fun to say.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, link417 said:

Present!

It would be awesome to have a treasure trove of (legally-acquired) vintage clothes, Esther looked great in everything. LMAO, Pauly Shore was a pretty random get. I actually don’t remember much else about the episode so I’m either really tired or just wasn’t that into it.

Though I have found that “Baby Benji, Baby Benji!” is oddly fun to say.

In real life, Pauly Shore's mom owns the comedy club where Esther and Benji met. He was surprisingly bearable in this role! 

• Love 3

I can't believe the show's coming back lol. It's painfully unfunny, even if they're good at cherry picking one liners for the promos. I get that they're trying to parody millennial narcissism and struggling/expectations for male-female relationships/LA and social media culture but the execution sucks. A perfect example that deadpan delivery isn't always inherently funny. Search Party does millennial self-absorption way better.

On 7/29/2018 at 10:30 PM, Glory said:

Is it only 4 episodes? That's all I see on Hulu.

It’s 10, aired back-to-back over 5 weeks. Hulu was just offering the first four as some sort of season preview, I think.

• Love 1

Actually the first two eps were pretty funny. Feeders and getting off on watching people eat is a thing, but usually only with obese women. And I don't know why they keep having every side character be surprised they're not a couple, followed by a bland confirmation that they're not attracted to each other, like once per ep. Is it the inverse of will they/won't they? We know they're not dating and they never will...that's the point of the show lol.

The entire Season 2 is available on the Freeform streaming app and I binged it last week. Thanks to the Murder House episode, Esther is finally starting to grow on me. And getting Fran Drescher to play her mother is genius. But, Fran....your plastic surgeon did you no favors. You and Goldie Hawn now look like Muppets. 

• Love 1

So we can start discussing the show for season 2?

I like that they are tightening up the cast and are including more of their family members.  I like that Benji's brother is now more visible and I am liking him.  Like the sister and @NeenerNeener I agree that Fran Drescher is good casting.  I loved the Murder House, and the Diner episode.  I was cracking up at the episode with the raw water which is now a thing.  I also liked the couples retreat.  I find Esther and Benji to be very funny this season.

Season 2 is now streaming in its entirety so I figure we can talk about it here!

I feel like I'm the only one who watches this show, but it cracks me up. The Big Bear cabin episode had me cringing in all the right ways!

Catching up on this show now. This season is better than the first season,  but I haven't seen a moment that made me laugh like the Snicker doodle argument yet. Still, Esther and Benji are more endearing and less grating.

As a whole, I liked the first season better than the second. I wish I had liked this season more but I honestly won’t be all that bummed if there isn’t another season.

Though I do hope to see the actors in other projects, especially Wather and the guy who plays Jeffrey, he’s hilarious.