Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

57 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

Will the coverage start on NBCSN then switch to NBC?  Go Javi!  I hope for a better free skate from the men after the Sochi splat and best of luck to the US men.

Apparently someone at NBCSN reads this forum because the live stream on the app is now called “Hockey, Figure Skating and More” on the main page.

TV & Streaming as follows:

TV/Cable:

NBC Primetime will show the top skaters and the Americans mixed in with the other events with Tara/Johnny/Terry. 

NBCSN is the whole thing with Tara/Jonny/Terry(?) commentating. 

NBCSN App:

Under Live & Upcoming:

“Hockey and More” is the NBCSN stream above.  

“Men’s Free Skate” is the whole thing with Australian woman commentating. 

“NBC Primetime” is the NBC Primetime stream above. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 5
23 minutes ago, selkie said:

I've become a Boyang fan over time-

Oh, me too this year. I completely blame that Cantina Band sequence!

I'd love to see Javi medal. When he's on, he's a super-entertaining performer. And I was a little gutted when he just missed it in Sochi. 

And, frankly, I can't help but root for an amazing skater who is basically their country's only hope. Does Spain have other good skating entries? Maybe they do, but I can't think of any. It's also a reason I root for P/C, Aliona/Bruno, and (last time, at least) for Kostner.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Apparently someone at NBCSN reads this forum because the live stream on the app is now called “Hockey, Figure Skating and More”. 

TV & Streaming as follows:

TV/Cable:

NBC Primetime will show the top skaters and the Americans mixed in with the other events with Tara/Johnny/Terry. 

NBCSN is the whole thing with Tara/Jonny/Terry(?) commentating. 

NBCSN App:

Under Live & Upcoming:

“Hockey, Figure Skating and More” is the NBCSN stream. 

“Men’s Free Skate” is the whole thing with Australian woman commentating. 

“NBC Primetime” is the NBC Primetime stream. 

Anyone know who the Australian woman is? She's great (I love her "toe rake" instead of "toe pick") but the guy with her is a waste of a paycheck. All he seems to know how to do is let us know how much time has expired or how much is left. He does mix it up a bit there.

Edited by MaKaM

NBCSN's skating coverage on Titan TV for tonight shows it's from 7pm ct/8pm est until 9:15 ct/ 10:15 est then that channel will air an Olympic Hockey Game. NBC's primetime coverage of multiple events including skating appears to be airing until 11pm ct/12am est so 4hrs in total. Figure Skating is also listed in the 1hr 30min of coverage after the late news so I added that to my DVR too in case I fall asleep. Didn't sleep well last night so better to be safe then sorry.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Definitely minus, though, with this group, I could see him somehow pulling the routine of a lifetime and everyone else splatting so badly he takes it and the entire figure skating universe imploding on itself. This forum would probably crash too with the flood of posts and angry gifs. 

Alternatively, Nathan miraculously (I'm talking "Miracle on Ice" miraculous) pulling it off would be an Olympic story for the ages. I feel like his redemption will be in four years, though, so I'm good. 

XD

Aliev vs Cha in four years is going to be phenomenal.

• Love 1

I had the Dorothy Hamill haircut too!  I was in college, though -- it worked with my straight hair.  Back then, the Farah Fawcett "do" was also popular.  ??

Other  than the weird, bad,  non-demonstration of skating jumps, I have liked the comments from Scott Hamilton and Tanith White in the Olympic Ice show.

Edited by Thumper
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, fan94 said:

David Wilson and Hanyu didn't work out. It's Jeff Buttle.

No wonder it's filled with transitions. Also the genius behind Yuna's Roxanne SP.

I feel like there have been a few programs here were I've been thinking about how much I liked the choreography, only for them to say Jeff Buttle was responsible for it. Good for him, I always really liked his skating.

1 minute ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I was just informed by NBC that it's still possible for Nathan to medal so they are not willing to let it go yet.

NBC is sponsoring a zamboni rampage during the final group warmup. 

• Love 17
12 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I had the Dorothy Hamill haircut too!  I was in college, though -- it worked with my straight hair.  Back then, the Farah Fawcett "do" was also popular.  ??

Other  than the weird, bad,  non-demonstration of skating jumps, I have liked the comments from Scott Hamilton and Tanith White in the Olympic Ice show.

I don’t know why they built a whole ice rink for them to just stand there wearing skates? They could do the same thing wearing curling shoes. I feel like having them just wear their medals would be a more effective “look at these athletes”.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

I don’t know why they built a whole ice rink for them to just stand there wearing skates? They could do the same thing wearing curling shoes. I feel like having them just wear their medals would be a more effective “look at these athletes”.

Worse -- it's not ice, it's plastic. O.o

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, fan94 said:

I don't know what this means.

The only way for Nathan to medal at this point is for the top skaters in the final group to all eat ice, but the NBC promo people haven't given up. 

• Love 5

In today's round of "scarynikki needs to pay more attention" I was trying to sign on to watch the skating and I kept choosing the wrong provider.  I just realized my mistake so I feel like an idiot and I'm relieved because I was so ready to send NBC angry feedback.  I only do that when it's warranted.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Alternatively, Nathan miraculously (I'm talking "Miracle on Ice" miraculous) pulling it off would be an Olympic story for the ages. I feel like his redemption will be in four years, though, so I'm good. 

Either way (and I'm rooting for a Beijing moment for Nathan) NBC will pimp it ad nauseum, and repeatedly ask him about his disappointing short programs.

3 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Yasssssss!!! Someone finally skates to Game of Thrones!!!! House Stark forever!!!

I came here just to say that! 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, scarynikki12 said:

In today's round of "scarynikki needs to pay more attention" I was trying to sign on to watch the skating and I kept choosing the wrong provider.  I just realized my mistake so I feel like an idiot and I'm relieved because I was so ready to send NBC angry feedback.  I only do that when it's warranted.

It is incredibly confusing to follow a single event across all the apps and channels and streams and telegraphs and carrier pigeons.

8 minutes ago, TheWereCow said:

Worse -- it's not ice, it's plastic. O.o

?

• Love 3

Whoever danced to GoT won my heart tonight when I saw that he was dancing with a gold hand.

And then I died laughing at all of the awful GoT references in the commentary.  "A lannister always pays his debts."

Back to skating:  I hope Nathan slays tonight.  I don't care if he medals or not, I just want him to skate like he knows he can.

And then, because I like upsets, I want Javi to win.  Or Patrick Chan, just to hear the echo of billions of cries of joy and/or despair.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, kittykat said:

LOL Paul Fentz skating to Game of Thrones.  The sick part of me was hoping the Shibs would ;-)

Omg. That's funny.

And when did Hongbo Zhao get so middle-aged hot? I never remembered him as good looking when he was skating competitively.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I wouldn't even mind if he backloaded decided to maximize his points...

In the immortal words of Kim Cattrall in the classic film Ice Princess: never deviate! I think any changes to his planned layout now would just further unsettle him. 

2 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Ok but what if they swerve the obvious and Maia is Daenerys and Alex is Drogon? 

You mean the dragon she rides? ?

1 minute ago, Moxie Cat said:

Johnny had an interesting comment during Fentz that the judging needed to be adjusted for triples/quads: "Tom Brady doesn't get points for ALMOST throwing to Glonk" (yes, Johnny made a football reference!). He then said you shouldn't get the base value points just for trying a quad, even if it's fully rotated, because "anyone can do four revolutions and fall." I totally agree. I'm tired of splats, especially after Sochi.

Please tell me he said Glonk though, and that’s not a typo!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Moxie Cat said:

Johnny had an interesting comment during Fentz that the judging needed to be adjusted for triples/quads: "Tom Brady doesn't get points for ALMOST throwing to Glonk" (yes, Johnny made a football reference!). He then said you shouldn't get the base value points just for trying a quad, even if it's fully rotated, because "anyone can do four revolutions and fall." I totally agree. I'm tired of splats, especially after Sochi.

I feel like Johnny has been reading this thread. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Yeah, I do think there should be more points for splatting a quad than splatting a triple but is completing an extra revolution more difficult than landing a triple? 

I think they need to work on finding a happy medium between rewarding risk and rewarding execution.

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, herbz said:

In the immortal words of Kim Cattrall in the classic film Ice Princess: never deviate!

"Freak after the long." I could go all day quoting that movie. I have seen it a shameful number of times!

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

Please tell me he said Glonk though, and that’s not a typo!

I barely know any Patriot besides Brady so I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

2 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

there should be more points for splatting a quad than splatting a triple but is completing an extra revolution more difficult than the landing a triple?

I agree and Tara also disagreed that "anyone" could do four revolutions in the air, forget the fall/landing issue entirely.

16 minutes ago, herbz said:

Jaime Lannister and figure skating is the Venn Diagram intersection of my life's interests, so I will now stan Fentz forever.

Right? I don't care how many kids he pushes out of windows, Jaime has my heart forever and now so does Fentz.

• Love 4
Just now, MostlyC said:

Did Johnny just called Terry "Terrence?" 

Methinks he's channeling Adam now...

Nah, he's been calling him Terrence since Sochi. 

Tara saying Nathan Chen looks calm and collected when to me he looks absolutely miserable. 

• Love 7
Just now, Moxie Cat said:

I barely know any Patriot besides Brady so I'm pretty sure that's what he said.

I’m pretty sure that he got it right and said Gronk.  :-)  I was like—go Johnny, so versatile with the sports metaphors.  

• Love 9

They'd have to costume up as a Lannister, because Jon Snow knows nothing...about figure skating.

Andrea Joyce just needs to go far far away.  She's such a downer.  

Tara saying Nathan Chen looks calm and collected when to me he looks absolutely miserable.

Poor guy...I feel for him.  He looks intensely unhappy.  The pressure he probably puts on himself is just compounded by idiots like Joyce asking stupid ass questions.  Honestly, they could temper them somewhat, she was so negative.

Edited by CherryMalotte
  • Love 9

Part of me is almost afraid to cheer for Nathan because I don't want to jinx the poor guy.  Like I'll be adding to his stress level or something.  But I want him to have his Mao Asada moment tonight...come out in the LP and have the skate everyone remembers.

Also pulling for Javier to medal tonight, too.  I have loved watching him skate for years and I think he's amazing.

• Love 12
Just now, CherryMalotte said:

Andrea Joyce just needs to go far far away.  She's such a downer.  

I know athletes have to do these interviews but I felt so bad for him. There's nothing he can do now to medal, so skating tonight is all about pride and saving his reputation. Andrea really didn't have to be so heavy-handed with the doom-and-gloom questions in a somber voice. Just let the poor kid have ONE moment of enjoyment at this Olympics. Sheesh. 

• Love 2

They'd have to costume up as a Lannister, because Jon Snow knows nothing...about figure skating.

I wonder what the Night King would skate to...or what he'd do at the Winter Olympics...

Wow Alexi,  what a great skate.  Good for him!!!

• Love 7