Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I'm just kind of bummed that Yo-Yo couldn't make it to the wedding, but I'm assuming Mack was recording it on his phone so she could watch it :)

I liked how Coulson got this whole introspection episode and how the Ghost Rider stuff connected back to the beginning of the series (pretty ballsy if AoS does end up getting a s6, which it likely won't, but kind of hard to end of series after going where they're going now), but I guess I just wish the other characters got a bit more as well in the 100th episode. FitzSimmons got to have a bit in their wedding, but May and Daisy kind of only got it in regards to their feelings towards Coulson (relationships I do love, and they did come up organically, but I wish they had more for where their stories might be going besides them trying to save Coulson). I mean, the team's greatest fears come out and only exploring Coulson's seems so limiting for a 100th episode, although it is the best choice to fit all of the story into 42ish minutes, and, from future vague plot descriptions it does seem like the fear dimension stuff might come back. I think it would have been kind of cooler if the quick clip montage during Not-Mike's speech was a bit slower and focused on moments in the series for other characters.

Always love J. August Richards coming back and teared up when the real Mike came back.

ETA: Also, now that I'm thinking about it, I think the only reason I'm being nitpicky about this is because this is the 100th episode. If this were say, the midseason finale, I would probably say that it's one of the best episodes of the series and definitely the best of the season (heck I already think that). I guess it's the mess of high expectations.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

DC Comics recently tweeted pics of Catwoman's wedding dress (see upthread). Now you can see Marvel's Kitty Pryde's wedding dress (this issue was written by MG)...

It does make me giggle just a bit at the thought of some hardcore comic guy in the industry obsessing over the perfect dress and even more so for the hardcore comic reader to cast an opinion on if the illustrator got it right or not.  

I don't find anything strange about anyone invested in a storyline to be invested in the details that matter when bringing it to life but I do wish that group that normally decries romance as not belonging in an action/superhero show would admit in their opinion it is the WRONG romance that they see no place for.  Own your truth people.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I don't find anything strange about anyone invested in a storyline to be invested in the details that matter when bringing it to life but I do wish that group that normally decries romance as not belonging in an action/superhero show would admit in their opinion it is the WRONG romance that they see no place for.  Own your truth people.  

Two words: double standards.  

Don't even get me started on calling Olicity toxic emotionally abusive because Felicity snapped at Oliver once, while explaining away a comic couple that commits adultery and actually physically hits one another over disagreements, as complicated.

As Greg Berlanti once said,  comics are the boy version of soap operas. 

Edited by Mary0360
  • Love 8

‘Black Panther’ Leaps Across $1 Billion At The Worldwide Box Office

Disney/Marvel’s Black Panther has leapt across the $1B mark globally. The Ryan Coogler-helmed superhero phenomenon gets to the milestone today, its 26th day of release, and is now Walt Disney Studios’ 16th title and the MCU’s 5th ever to pass $1B. The film is at $531M domestic and is crossing $500M at the international box office this weekend, bolstered by a strong start in China where it’s now at about $49M after two days.

The $1B worldwide milestone is the latest impressive feat for the Wakanda warrior. Black Panther is also the No. 9 movie of all time domestically and will this frame become the No. 2 superhero movie ever, passing The Dark Knight.

Among the other stats are the top February domestic debut ever at $202M (3-day)/$242.1M (4-day); the No. 5 all-time 3-day start; the No. 1 Monday ($40.1M) of all time; the No. 2 Sunday ever ($60M); the No. 2 ever second weekend ($111.6M); and the No. 1 non-holiday third weekend ($66.3M).

Worldwide, BP joins The Avengers, Avengers: Age Of Ultron, Iron Man 3 and Captain America: Civil War in the $1B club.

In other places, it's noted that coming in #1 this weekend (which it looks like it will) will make it the first MCU movie to be 1st at the box office four consecutive weekends in a row (GotG won four weekends, but not consecutively).

• Love 4

Going back a little bit to the discussion about the styling differences between Iris and Felicity; maybe part of the reason Felicity is styled this way is because of the age difference between Rickards and Amell? Maybe they think styling her more casually would make her appear too young across from Oliver? Just a thought.

• Love 1

Well in the BTS comments about EBR's screen test with Grant, they were a lot more worried that he'd look too young (even though GG is a couple years older) so I'm not sure they were too worried about EBR with SA.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 4

Finally at the E2 arc of S2 of The Flash again...have to say it is probably my favorite arc of the series, just so fun. Barry/Iris lead similar lives that got them to each other and even similar careers instead E2 Iris didn't let Joe talk her out of not pursuing a career as a cop. Their relationship is a lot more adult and just more mature in general which i.s weird. Their relationship right now isn't bad but E2 Iris just feels like she has so much more agency. Of course Barry has a hard time dealing with the E2 Doppelgangers of his friends since they are his family no matter the Earth they are on awww.

Killer Frost states that she loves to kill doppelgangers, it isn't something that is ever really expanded upon I think. But Reverb was where it was at! He was willing to doublecross Zoom and take control, he would've been a fun villain to have around longer. It was also useless killing off Deathstorm so quickly! Some things never change. But I've always wondered why they never bothered to introduce E2 Eddie and tempt Iris with seeing him. 

Legends really needs to spend a season traveling the multi-verse. 

If we ever get Black Sirens full origin story, I hope that Zoom is still part of it. Killer Frost was full on terrified of him, him playing a role in her decent to darkness would be good. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Well in the BTS comments about EBR's screen test with Grant, they were a lot more worried that he'd look too young (even though GG is a couple years older) so I'm not sure they were too worried about EBR with SA.

I was shocked when I first read Emily was 19 when she was cast on the show, because she always looked older and mature then her age suggests. I think part of it's the way she carries herself as an actress as well. She has the confidence of someone older. 

Edited by Mary0360
  • Love 3

‘Gotham’ Bar Is Popping Up With ‘Supernatural’ Star’s Beer During SXSW
by Nadia Chaudhury  Mar 10, 2018, 9:11am CST
https://austin.eater.com/2018/3/10/17103744/dc-comics-sxsw-gotham-bar-supernatural-family-business-beer-company-arrow-jitters-coffee

South by Southwest madness continues with another pop culture-themed pop-up. This time, it’s a coffee shop and beer bar from superhero television shows Arrow and Gotham respectively. It’s all part of the Superhero Lair pop-up comic book store from DC Entertainment and Warner Bros on 717 Red River Street.

The daytime cafe is meant to imitate Arrow’s CC Jitters, with free coffee from noon to 6 p.m. each day. At night, it will be turned into Gotham’s Oswald’s, run by the Penguin aka Oswald Cobblepot. It’ll pour free beers from Family Business Beer Company, which happens to be run by Jensen Ackles, the co-star of another (albeit science-fiction) television show Supernatural, found out in Dripping Springs, Texas. That runs from 6 to 10 p.m. every evening.

The Superhero Lair pop-up is open from noon to 10 p.m. throughout the length of the conference from Friday, March 9 through Sunday, March 18. It’s open to the public.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Greg Berlanti Says DC Films’ ‘Booster Gold’ Movie Still in the Works at Warner Bros
Matt Donnelly | Last Updated: March 9, 2018 @ 3:07 PM
https://www.thewrap.com/greg-berlanti-says-dc-films-booster-gold-movie-still-development-warner-bros/

“It’s still in development with DC,” Berlanti told TheWrap about the feature, which is based on one of the quirkier heroes in the DC canon, whose superpower is a keen awareness of the power of celebrity and the cunning thirst to attain it. “They’re trying to figure out both the distance that we still have to travel and how we want to execute it.”

Another factor for the studio, he said, was “how it’s going to fit into their greater landscape” — meaning the rest of the DC Films slate that has been in a state of flux given the muted critical and box office reception for films like “Suicide Squad” and “Justice League.”

“That’s really on them, they’re still kind of determining their order of business on that end,” said Berlanti, who directed Fox’s gay teen dramedy “Love, Simon” that hits theaters this month.
“We have a draft with a writer I liked very much,” Berlanti said. He did not specify the writer, but Zack Stent (“X-Men: First Class,” “Thor”) has previously been credited on the project.
Berlanti said he’d remain open to directing the film, as well.

“If the studio is excited — it’s obviously their determination. We finished all the work we need to do on the draft, I would love to do something in that space. I’m still a little clueless on how movies come together. I show up to work every day and make the work as good as I can but then they call me and say, ‘We’re making it!'” Berlanti said.

Edited by tv echo

FYI - sounds like Gotham will return next season but on a different night...

Fox’s Gary Newman On Potential ’24’ Comeback; Renewal Possibilities For ‘Gotham’, ‘The Exorcist’ & More – INTV
by Nancy Tartaglione   March 12, 2018  
http://deadline.com/2018/03/24-series-comeback-plot-gotham-exorcist-empire-renewals-fox-gary-newman-interview-intv-1202335812/

There’s better news in Gotham. “We asked a lot of it this year moving to Thursday nights and I thought it did a pretty good job of opening up that night for us. I feel like Gotham should have a place in our schedule.” That will “purely be a matter of scheduling. Thursday is not available in the fall, so where do we use it? Hopefully there’s more years of Gotham.”

At this poit I'd welcome a booster gold movie,  because it has the potential to be a lot more fun than anything else dc has been putting out lately.   Plus Zack Stentz gets instant credit from me,  he and Ashley Miller were responsible for some of the best parts of Andromeda and Terminator: tSCC.

AoS EPs did a better job of keeping their wedding a secret than the Arrowverse EPs did...

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Wedding Secrets: Elizabeth Henstridge Shares Who Kept Tearing Up, and More
By Matt Webb Mitovich / March 12 2018, 7:49 AM PDT
http://tvline.com/2018/03/12/agents-of-shield-fitzsimmons-wedding-secrets-elizabeth-henstridge/

“I found out when I had a fitting and there were wedding dresses hanging up,” Simmons’ portrayer shares with TVLine. “I thought, ‘OK — I hope I’m marrying Fitz!'”

Indeed it was the awaited and dare-to-hope-for FitzSimmons wedding that she was dressing up for, to take place in no less than S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s milestone 100th episode. Once Henstridge, her leading man Iain de Caestecker and their castmates were clued in, it was simply a matter of keeping the big day on the down low from other prying eyes. (Just ask Arrow‘s Oliver and Felicity how easily an outdoor ceremony can get spoiled by lookie-loos with iPhones!)
“We filmed the wedding at Disney Ranch [in Placerita Canyon], so it was not open to the public,” Henstridge explains. Plus, “We had all our best Marvel guys on it, to make sure it stayed a nice surprise!”

(ABC Television Network)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Ha, if Arrow/LoT filmed in LA (or took SA's idea and just film it at the bunker set and have Barry speed all of them to that set rather than Barry bring Diggle to them), they might have been able to keep it a secret better. Then again, I love how in Tvline's recaps/post-interviews for AoS have all referenced Arrow and Olicity getting married for comparison (and weirdly enough don't spend the extra time to reference how it was a double wedding or that it was during the crossover on LoT and not even on Arrow).

• Love 5

Is it me or does anyone else find it weird how the press had a screening and no one is teasing about how good it was etc. which is normally what happens when there is one?

Everyone guessed Dawn Allen/Westallen's daughter... If she's not then I wonder who it is 

Edited by WindofChange

Never say that no one has guessed a theory right to the internet. Odds are you are wrong (especially since for Flash, I've seen dozens of people guess twists exactly right even after the EPs/cast talk about how surprising they are or how they don't think anyone has guessed it, Zoom, Man in the Mask, Reverse Flash, Alchemy, Savitar, etc.). Take the approach of "some guesses are right and some are wrong," which is partially what he was saying but wasn't willing to admit. If you admit that an internet theory is right it sets people into a better frenzy trying to figure out which one is the right one.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

Is it me or does anyone else find it weird how the press had a screening and no one is teasing about how good it was etc. which is normally what happens when there is one?

Everyone guessed Dawn Allen/Westallen's daughter... If she's not then I wonder who it is 

The way Todd Helbing worded his statement is weird. According to him, some people guessed part of it but not the whole thing? I'm not sure what they're going to go for. I thought it was blatantly obvious that this is Iris and Barry's future daughter. She can't be Joe and Cecile's future daughter, and I'm pretty sure she's not just some physical representation of the Speedforce. So unless they're having some dumb thing of her being a different Earth's Barry and Iris' future daughter, then I don't really know what they're going for. I would laugh if she ends up being their granddaughter and Todd goes "See? She's a future relative but not their DAUGHTER. Betcha didn't see that one coming!" 

But yeah, I remember them bragging about how nobody figured out the Zoom reveal or the Savitar reveal, when so many people theorized it in the first place (I remember the Zoom reveal being far from surprising so I don't know what Todd is going on about people not figuring it all out). As long as they don't Pretty Little Liars* it and change the twist at the last minute because everyone basically figured it out, then hopefully the reveal will be decent.

*The PLL thing because the second big A reveal in season 6 being almost as dumb as the Uber A reveal

• Love 1

I think she must be their daughter, but no one has guessed the reason for why she's there or what she's doing. But as to her identity itself, I'd say the vast majority of fans are assuming it is Dawn Allen. 

Frankly, anyone else would be anticlimactic now, since that's the possibility that people are most excited for. He also said Iris's speedster colors (purple) are for a reason, and the Tornado Twins comics costumes were purple, so...

I don't know, I think if it's anyone else it's less interesting, since people are looking forward to the future speedsters, and are hoping for Bart Allen to show up eventually. And like everybody said, the fans DID get it right on all those other characters- they pegged fake Jay Garrick as Zoom, the real Jay Garrick as the guy in the mask, and Barry as Savitar really early.

So I still think this is Dawn. Maybe her name isn't Dawn though- maybe they named her Nora or something. Wasn't sure if they'd really go with the names "Don and Dawn" for the twins anyway.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

She's grown Sara Diggle, born from the Speedforce, sent to make Barry pay for all the times he screwed with the timeline.

I would take back every criticism I've ever made about Flash if this happened

• Love 6

FYI - more media reporting from the INTV (Innovative TV) Conference, March 12-13, 2018, in Jerusalem (participants included top network execs from Fox, Turner, HBO and Showtime, as well as several other industry execs and some media types)...

Diversity, #MeToo and All-Male Panels Dominate Day One at INTV
By Debra Kamin  March 12, 2018
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/diversity-metoo-intv-day-one-1202724061/

Network Chiefs on Difficult Decisions, Increased Competition and Diversity Initiatives
By Debra Kamin  March 12, 2018
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/network-chiefs-hbo-showtime-turner-fox-intv-1202723996/

Hollywood TV Chiefs Lift The Lid On Competition, Streaming, Diversity & Which Shows They Really Covet – INTV
by Peter White and Nancy Tartaglione  March 12, 2018 
http://deadline.com/2018/03/hollywood-tv-chiefs-lift-the-lid-on-competition-streaming-diversity-which-shows-they-really-covet-1202335927/

TV Bosses Talk Diversity, Streaming and the Ad Challenge at Jerusalem Conference
3/12/2018 by Scott Roxborough
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tv-bosses-talk-diversity-streaming-ad-challenge-at-jerusalem-conference-1093812

Edited by tv echo
12 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

She's grown Sara Diggle, born from the Speedforce, sent to make Barry pay for all the times he screwed with the timeline.

Seems as though the person who wrote the article LOVES the idea :)

Edited by WindofChange
  • Love 4

Remember when they claimed we would be shocked by who was Savitar when majority of the internet guessed it was a version of Barry...yeah I am sure it's their daughter who probably is the new flash that Jay is training who happens to live on E2 or something.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, way2interested said:

Ha, if Arrow/LoT filmed in LA (or took SA's idea and just film it at the bunker set and have Barry speed all of them to that set rather than Barry bring Diggle to them), they might have been able to keep it a secret better. Then again, I love how in Tvline's recaps/post-interviews for AoS have all referenced Arrow and Olicity getting married for comparison (and weirdly enough don't spend the extra time to reference how it was a double wedding or that it was during the crossover on LoT and not even on Arrow).

I don’t remember hearing/reading this.

Edited by bijoux
1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

This upsets me because I NEED this and it won’t happen. 

01865432-560A-43C0-A3CE-8804DEAD9EA2.gif

• Love 3
1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

I would actually watch The Flash again if that were to happen. I would even tune in live for that.

Or, she could be Dawn and Barry erased her twin Don and she's pissed. There's so many options for whomever she is being the result of Barry screwing things up. 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I don’t remember hearing/reading this

IIRC, he said it to someone at a con, first referencing it when someone gave him a pap photo of their kiss to sign weeks before the crossover came out. He mentioned something about going to the producers and saying it was a bad idea to film it at the park because it was a large public area and that the paps would be all over it and would figure out what was being filmed and asked why couldn't they just film it in the bunker instead.

• Love 2