Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Cartermatt writes A hope that Supergirl, The Flash rating stay solid

Tonight, the fear of lost viewership should be very real. We understand those who feel like there is an awkward relationship between the story on the show and the presece of Kreisberg off-scree, especially since he was involved in some of the episodes comig up including the enormous four=part Crisis on Earth-X crossover. There may be some who feel like watching the show is an endorsement of him as an artist.

Personally, we hope that very few people ultimately feel this way to the point where they decide not to watch the show anymore.  As a matter of fact, we hope Supergirl and The Flash deliver great ratings both tonight and tomorrow as proof that what these shows represent is far more important than the horrible actions of one man.  Supergirl represents bravery, empowerment, ad doing the right thing --that message shouldn't be lost now, and neither should The Flash who is trying to fight crime while looking on the bright side of life.  There are so many other people who have poured their hearts into these stories and want viewers to be entertained or even inspired by them.  Supergirl and The Flash should move forward, and there could be a way to even use these shows moving forward in order to speak out about some of these issues.  They've always used these platforms for good, and we have to think that they will continue to do so.  Without Kreisberg involved won't they be able to really touch on these important issues?

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

"I'm not here to talk about multiple accusations of sexual harassment against DCTV executives, what I'm here to talk about is our crossover. And our crossover is about Nazis." - Wendy in the next week or so, probably. IT IS A PERFECT STORM OF AWFUL.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, tofutan said:

So they really put him into "realistic" SS garb. Was that really necessary? Even if it's a nazi world it is no set in the 1940s. 

I don't see it as a big deal putting them in realistic garb, and it looks like evolution was put to a standstill. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Is That SA/Oliver doing the VO?

Maybe whoever's in the pipeline? My first thought was Earth-X Prometheus? Meaning probably Earth-X Tommy? 

3 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

"I'm not here to talk about multiple accusations of sexual harassment against DCTV executives, what I'm here to talk about is our crossover. And our crossover is about Nazis." - Wendy in the next week or so, probably. IT IS A PERFECT STORM OF AWFUL.

Don't forget the word salad. 

6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Great casting for young Alex, she even got the same expressions and mini movements.  Okay for young Kara but she doesn't have MB's sweetness.

Yeah, new Young Kara has the look down, but I didn't think she was as good of an actress.  

All the Chloe references felt a little surreal.  Are we supposed to now believe that Earth-38 is the Smallville universe?  Or just that Earth-38 (is the Supergirl earth Earth-38? I never can remember for sure) also had a Chloe? Who also had a Wall of Weird?

I am rarely where I can watch TV live, but I happened to be tonight, so decided to watch it, even though I haven't been watching this season.  It was an alright episode.  I think the new casting for the kids was throwing me off though.

7 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Hah! This seems so monumentally miscalculated. Taking predictions - on a scale of 1 to 10, what will my cringe factor be? 

43 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Watching Supergirl tonight.....

Young Kara to Young Alex "Clark has a friend named Chloe...." 

Ok, I didn't see that coming.  

With the awful weirdness and worse coming out about Allison Mack, I actually find it very comforting to know Chloe Sullivan still exists out there with no connection to Smallville.  I really want to keep my love for the character.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Yeah, new Young Kara has the look down, but I didn't think she was as good of an actress.  

All the Chloe references felt a little surreal.  Are we supposed to now believe that Earth-38 is the Smallville universe?  Or just that Earth-38 (is the Supergirl earth Earth-38? I never can remember for sure) also had a Chloe? Who also had a Wall of Weird?

I am rarely where I can watch TV live, but I happened to be tonight, so decided to watch it, even though I haven't been watching this season.  It was an alright episode.  I think the new casting for the kids was throwing me off though.

I don't think anyone is suppose to believe that E38 is Smallville-verse. Half the characters have already appeared with new origins. We know that some Earths share similar traits and this happens to be one of those traits. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I bet the CW officials are dying.  The crossovers are their BIG EVENTS!!! of the year.  They have two weeks to make the fans feel comfortable about tuning in.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

With the awful weirdness and worse coming out about Allison Mack, I actually find it very comforting to know Chloe Sullivan still exists out there with no connection to Smallville.  I really want to keep my love for the character.  

How would you feel about them recasting the character?  I'm just curious.  I don't know if they'll actually bring her on or whether she'll just be like this Earth's Lois, mentioned but never seen.

21 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Maybe whoever's in the pipeline? My first thought was Earth-X Prometheus? Meaning probably Earth-X Tommy? 

I think that's who it is too. The speech inflection didn't really match SA's and was more as if they were trying to copy the Prometheus voice.

It's a different universe, I'd expect nothing less.  

5 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

How would you feel about them recasting the character?  I'm just curious.  I don't know if they'll actually bring her on or whether she'll just be like this Earth's Lois, mentioned but never seen

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, tofutan said:

So they really put him into "realistic" SS garb. Was that really necessary? Even if it's a nazi world it is no set in the 1940s. 

I'm not sure what the point is of getting around showing swastikas by using the "SS" symbol since they are the worst part of the Nazis. Stop trying to be clever, shows. 

Are they even called Nazis in the tie-in animated series? Is there a comics related reason for this? 

Edited by leopardprint

Awww! Young Alexandra Udinov is all grown up! It took me a second to place her tonight but I thought she did a good job as Josie on Supergirl. Relieved that the teacher was still arrested and Alex wasn’t swayed by the “we’re in love” bs. 

• Love 1

I liked Supergirl this week, even if it was a bit by the numbers as far as flashback episodes go. The young actresses who played the younger Alex and Kara were very well cast, and I liked seeing the earlier parts of their relationship. 

I think the thing I am most looking forward to in the cross over is seeing some of the actors get to play evil for awhile, as actors usually get a kick out of that. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, leopardprint said:

I'm not sure what the point is of getting around showing swastikas by using the "SS" symbol since they are the worst part of the Nazis. Stop trying to be clever, shows. 

Are they even called Nazis in the tie-in animated series? Is there a comics related reason for this? 

It's based off of a world in the Multiverse

Mastermen2-Edited.jpg

And I would think that they would be called Nazis in the The Ray since it is produced and written by the same team.

Edited by Primal Slayer
1 hour ago, leopardprint said:

They might have avoided using swastikas out of concern for international broadcasts. I think in Germany they're not allowed on TV unless the program is specifically about WWII.

Edited by lemotomato

Since both CW's (anybody else feel the urge to reach in and correct his grammar) and MB's statements make references to having spoken up at times in the past makes me wonder if they did take the matter to somebody. But we know the variety article was based on staffers, not actors. So I doubt they are connected. 

Kinda sad to see both Franz Drameh and Mehcad Brooks active on twitter but not commenting on the issue. (at least Grant is not active). 

Odette at least did this: 

Edited by tofutan

I've only seen that thing about that lady saying he wouldn't hire her because he said there was already too much estrogen in the writers room or something like that. I haven't heard anything about him doing physical stuff. And of course there is the implication that he must have known about AK, but might have covered for him (speculation at this point, based on the long history they have together)

Edited by tofutan
5 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Besides Wendy to plug the Nazi ridden crossover are there any non problematic EPs left to promote it with her?

Is MG officially in trouble for harassing staff or is he just under fire for being his usual asshole self?

Isn't Beth an EP as well? Perhaps her word salad game isn't up to Wendy's standards yet. 

Wonder Woman 2 was moved to November 1, 2019, presumably due to the conflict with Star Wars IX.

‘Wonder Woman 2’ With Gal Gadot Moves To November 2019

Warner Bros/DC’s Wonder Woman 2 is going to be released a month and half earlier than originally announced, with a new date set for November 1, 2019. Warner Bros already had that date RSVP’ed on the calendar with an untitled DC movie. Patty Jenkins is on board to direct and Gal Gadot is locked in to reprise her role as the Daughter of Hippolyta.

Previously, Warner Bros announced after San Diego Comic-Con that Wonder Woman 2 was to bow on December 13, 2019. Currently on her new date, Wonder Woman 2 faces zero competition.

And to just clarify: There was some noise online over the weekend that Gadot wouldn’t sign for the sequel unless Brett Ratner’s name was removed from the franchise. We hear this is false. First, Gadot is locked in to star in Wonder Woman 2 and there haven’t been sour talks between the actress and Warner Bros’ upper brass in regard to Ratner. The studio is pushing both Gadot and Jenkins this awards season, and both were in cheery attendance Saturday night at the Movie Academy’s Governors Awards.

Second, RatPac Dune isn’t committed to finance Wonder Woman 2; its commitments with WB end with the April 20 release of Rampage. In addition, Ratner isn’t listed as producer on the first Wonder Woman, as RatPac was merely a passive financier.

• Love 1

I also find it interesting that Grant has not spoken up. The only lead in the Arrowverse not to do so. Hmmm. But I guess this investigation hits The Flash hardest, maybe that has something to do with it.

3 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

They have two weeks to make the fans feel comfortable about tuning in.  

Maybe they shouldn’t have gone with Nazis. I’m so conflicted with this. On one hand, it sounds like Oliver and Felicity are going to have big roles, on the other hand, Nazis.

Is DR the only person saying Felicity has a big role? Cuz I'm sh@tty we haven't seen any footage of her yet. 

I got squicked out seeing Oliver in a Nazi uniform. 

I had my head canon of Olicity on every earth and now they had to throw in Nazis to ruin things for me. 

Candice Patton Previews The WestAllen Wedding | The Flash
Published on Nov 13, 2017, by KSiteTV

-- On whether it's time for Barry and Iris to get married, CP: "I think it's time, yeah. I think fans, uh, have been waiting for three years. It's been a long time coming. They've had other partners, relationships, trials, tribulations, and so, um, I think it's time. Season 4's a good time for them to kind of make it all happen - and the wedding of the century, essentially."

-- On the WestAllen wedding being part of the crossover, CP: "I think it's really cool. I mean, this is a really important moment in DC history and, um, it's cool that our nuptials are a part of the crossover and a big part of the crossover... It's a spectacle for sure."

-- On how the WestAllen wedding goes, CP: "Well, I think you can expect on any DCTV show, um, weddings don't usually go as planned. Um, we've got some villains come in and try to spoil that. We've got aliens from Earth-X. Um, so things don't go as planned. Um, and everyone will have to wait and see if they can actually get married at some point. Do the deed."

-- On Iris' wedding dress, CP: "They actually flew me to L.A. to go to, um, Monique Lhuillier, um, to find a dress for Iris, because there's a line in the script about how Monique Lhuillier dresses are really, like, are indestructible. She really goes through it in this episode, in this wedding dress. It's still pristine. So, yeah, we flew to L.A., I tried on dresses at Monique Lhuillier, and the first dress I tried on, it was like, 'okay, this is it, feels great, it's comfortable.' The most important thing was, 'Am I comfortable? Am I going to be able to, like, run away from aliens or whatever?'... So yeah, it was pretty neat."

-- On who she got to interact with during the crossover that she never got to interact with before, CP: "Everyone on Legends... Dominic Purcell. I don't know if you've seen us interact before. There's some of that. Um, Caity Lotz's character, Sara Lance. Um, more stuff with Melissa over on Supergirl. Chyler Leigh, who I've never gotten to work with. Yeah, there's a lot of good stuff. And Stephen Amell. And a lot, a lot, a lot with Emily Bett, um, Felicity. We kind of team up in the crossovers and, um, work together to kind of fight aliens on our own court [tv echo: not sure of this last word]."

-- On whether there's any drooling over Oliver Queen, CP: "Um, no, surprisingly. You would think, like, I would've been, like, 'yeah, bring your boyfriend, you know, wanna sit next to him, hang out with him at the rehearsal dinner, whatever.' Yeah, no, not a lot of that, no."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Honestly, I can also imagine Iris trying on dresses and asking herself this...just in case, lol.  

Yeah. I love this comment - it's about the most "Iris" sounding thing I can think of.  "Ok, yes, I need to look great, because, weddings, but also, I see that the wedding is scheduled for a Tuesday.....Er. Let's make sure I can run in this!" 

(Now if we can get Felicity thinking the same thing about her wardrobe/shoes especially when she's in the Arrow Cave!)

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is DR the only person saying Felicity has a big role? Cuz I'm sh@tty we haven't seen any footage of her yet. 

I got squicked out seeing Oliver in a Nazi uniform. 

I had my head canon of Olicity on every earth and now they had to throw in Nazis to ruin things for me. 

Keep in mind that if either or both Olivers are motivated by the death of Earth X Felicity Smoak, Felicity plays a big role even if she's not on screen that much.  I know she's in all 4 parts but no idea how much.

Rotten Tomatoes Are Delaying The Reveal of Justice League’s Score
By Alex Leadbeater  November 13, 2017
https://screenrant.com/justice-league-rotten-tomatoes-score-delayed/

Rotten Tomatoes won’t be revealing Justice League‘s Tomatometer score until Thursday, over a day after the review embargo actually lifts. The DCEU team-up isn’t just one of the most anticipated films of the year, but specifically, one that audiences are eager to read reviews of considering the franchise’s varied reception previously and the Zack Snyder/Joss Whedon production’s turbulent journey to the big screen.

The social media embargo lifted last Friday, giving fans the very first reactions to the film (which were mixed with a positive skew) but the full review embargo doesn’t lift until Tuesday, 11/14 at 11:50 pm PST/ 2:50 am EST on Wednesday, 11/15. That’s quite late for such a major tentpole – less than two days before the first public screenings – which along with the overnight reveal (meaning there’ll be less online traffic) has suggested to some that there’s a fear about a negative appraisal. And while we’ll be able to get a taste of the consensus then, the traditional barometer won’t be read until almost 36 hours after that.
Rather than publishing the Tomatometer score (a number calculated by averaging out the positive and negative assessments of a film) immediately as reviews come in post-embargo, Rotten Tomatoes will instead be saving the reveal of the score until 12:01am EST on Thursday 11/16 as part of the site’s new Facebook show See It/Skip It. That means the score won’t be known until just seven hours before the first screenings.
Rotten Tomatoes aren’t delaying the reveal to try and reduce any misleading conclusions – they’re actually playing into the false sense of importance around the Tomatometer to draw more eyes to their newly-launched online show; their previous two episodes have treated the numbers involved as more sacrosanct than even the most overzealous outlets and the drumroll is most-certainly a hype-building trick. After all, if this was about protecting art from their negative influence, they wouldn’t do it for a select few films.

This is particularly worrying as the move takes Rotten Tomatoes from being an aggregator and more directly into the critical sphere; its hosts provide their own opinions and the Tomatometer is treated like a definitive stamp, as opposed to the suggestive percentage it really is. That’s a power shift around an already controversial metric, making the entire enterprise more about the website itself than the reviews it’s cataloging. And, considering that they’re owned by Fandango (a company that relies on ticket sales, further co-owned by film companies Warner Bros. and Universal), has the ability to be abused by keeping potentially damaging ratings held back.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
47 minutes ago, tv echo said:

there's a line in the script about how Monique Lhuillier dresses are really, like, are indestructible. She really goes through it in this episode, in this wedding dress. It's still pristine.

47 minutes ago, tv echo said:

On who she got to interact with during the crossover that she never got to interact with before, CP: "Everyone on Legends... Dominic Purcell. I don't know if you've seen us interact before. There's some of that. Um, Caity Lotz's character, Sara Lance. Um, more stuff with Melissa over on Supergirl. Chyler Leigh, who I've never gotten to work with. Yeah, there's a lot of good stuff. And Stephen Amell. And a lot, a lot, a lot with Emily Bett, um, Felicity. We kind of team up in the crossovers and, um, work together to kind of fight aliens on our own court [tv echo: not sure of this last word]."

So evil versions show up during her wedding, she runs around in her wedding dress for at least an episode and she teams up with Felicity in their own court.  Does it sound to anyone else like Iris and Felicity get kidnapped and taken? Could that be why everyone heads over to EarthX?  (Also, I propose for ease and the sake of clarity, any doppelgangers should be referred to as OliverX, TommyX, KaraX or FelicityX ect, ect)  

Edited:  I just remembered the Pipeline Picture after the wedding gets broken up.   So nope to my theory.  Unless they get taken afteward?

Edited by BkWurm1

Candice's response in that tweet seems kind of cryptic.  All of this is making me not want to Flash anymore because I always though the women were treated badly on the show but I want to still want to support her. 

I had the opposite reaction. I haven't been watching The Flash this season, but GG's response and CP's response actually (kinda) make me want to now. I think all of this adverse publicity will effect real changes behind the scenes on the Arrowverse shows, and I want to support the cast/crew.

• Love 3