Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

If I had known we were doing that, I'd have suggested placing hat-eating bets, just to make things more interesting ;)

Let's make bets to see if CW then airs Arrow or the other shows during the Winter Olympics, since it's honestly up in the air at this point! 

• Love 1

I don't think there is any definite plans to have BS and Sara meet. Phil Klemmer LoT's EP never worked on Arrow and doesn't seem to care about Laurel or BS or want her on his show. So far it's just CL and KC saying they'd like them to meet. 

Edited by Sakura12

Flash's Thinker storyline sounds like Arrow's Prometheus storyline from last season. So is Flash's S4 finale going to end in a cliffhanger with all the members of Team Flash other than Barry stuck in Star Labs when it explodes?

From the above EW blurb, here's what AK said about The Thinker: "There's a chess match going on, and in the beginning our guys don't even realize that they're playing against him... You watch as they're realizing that somebody is manipulating events and pulling strings as it's all building to a big confrontation." 

And here's what the Arrow EPs and Josh Segarra had said about Adrian Chase AKA Prometheus...

-- MG: "We're putting together, I think, a wonderfully intricate, uh, chessboard, um, where all these little elements start to realign in the second half of the year. And, um, you see that there were little seeds that were planted in the first nine episodes that start to come to fruition." (Superhero Insider podcast in Jan. 26, 2017 Entertainment Weekly article, page 52 of Spoilers thread)

-- MG: "You know, it’s funny. For me, [episode] 14 is this fulcrum where a lot of the little seeds that had been planted in the first half of the season start to come to fruition, and you start to realize that oh, Prometheus has been setting up a chess board and the episode ends, I think, with sort of the next key move in Prometheus’ grand plan." (Feb. 15, 2017 IGN article, page 53 of Spoilers thread)

-- JS: "The part that Chase is doing is the mental game. It’s the chess match. That’s what Chase has been playing, this whole time. He’s been moving pieces that he knows Oliver is not going to be able to keep up with." (Mar. 1, 2017 Collider and IGN articles, an Mar. 2, 2017 Den of Geek article, page 54 of Spoilers thread)

-- JS: "All the things he’s trying to bring to light in Oliver, you see those qualities in him. What drives him is to maybe watch it crumble around him, to play the game, to play the chess match, to put him in checkmate." (Mar. 14, 2017 Entertainment Weekly article in EW tweet, page 55 of Spoilers thread)

-- JS: "Chase is a chess player. At the end of the day, he’s still in control of each situation. He still knows this could result in two to three different ways, but he’s going to be ready for each one." (Mar. 15, 2017 CBR article, page 55 of Spoilers thread)

-- WM: “Chase is like a grandmaster at chess. He’s played out every possible move, and knows that regardless of what his opponent is going to do he’s got a plan.” He's got a continuous plan, and he’s mapped out every step of it. That’s been part of the fun with this season; there’s nothing Oliver can do to one-up this guy." (Apr. 26, 2017 Variety article, page 1 of New Spoilers thread)

-- WM: "Chase is ten steps ahead, as always. I think he anticipated this move. He knew it was going to happen, and he doesn’t have any problem. He’s always one step ahead. He’s playing a game of chess and I think, for the first few episodes of the season, our team was — to some extent — playing checkers." (Apr. 26, 2017 CBR article, page 1 of New Spoilers thread)

-- WM: “He is always 10 steps ahead... He’s really good at this chess game, and like any grand master, he’s got a million contingency plans. He’s going to be making his moves regardless.” (Apr. 26, 2017 TVLine article, page 1 of New Spoilers thread)

-- MG: "Adrian doesn’t concede defeat.  He just looks very deeply into the chess board." (May 17, 2017 MG tumblr post, page 2 of New Spoilers thread)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Recap of Flash/LoT panel at HVFF-NY on Sunday...

HVFF 2017: ‘The Flash’ / ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Panel at Heroes and Villains FanFest, New Jersey
Olympus Athens    September 18th, 2017 
http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2017/09/18/hvff-2017-flash-legends-tomorrow-panel

Q: My boy and I are huge Cisco fans. What do you think makes him so relatable?

Carlos Valdes: Cisco is a total geek. I’m really into systems. That’s always appealed to me about this character. I think we are all geeks about something. I’m able to bring that unabashed passion to that character. I know noting about tech, but love music. I bring that to Cisco.

Q: What’s your favorite episode that you appeared in and why?

Robbie Amell: Season 1 superhero team up. It was in a stadium in Vancouver. Everything about it was really great.

Brandon Routh: The Camelot episode. That’s what I’m a geek about.

Candice Patton: The pilot. Something about the time period around booking and shooting The Flash. I have fond memories of that time.

Caity Lotz: I really liked the Shogun episode in Japan. cause I liked the sword fights.

Carlos Valdes: The Gypsy stuff and Danny Trejo stuff. I’m really excited for you to see it.

Q: Will we see Earth 2 Detective West? We want to see if Iris meets her doppelgänger.

Candice Patton: I would love too, but when you are shooting, it’s a lot of work.

Q: (For Valdes and Patton) What is your response for losing Tom and Grant?

Carlos Valdes: It really sucks.They were close.

Candice Patton: That’s really hard for her and we’ll pick that up her struggling with. Barry and I have to go to couples therapy. Iris felt bad about it. I felt great because I still have a job. Also, there are so many HRs, Tom’s not gone.

Q: (For Routh) Any major improvement to the atom suit soon?

Brandon Routh: A smaller more portable version will be used quite a bit.

Q: Are we gonna see any of other Cisco’s other doppelgängers?

Carlos Valdes: I hope so. I find it to be a very versatile canvas. Cisco has his hands full in general. The Cisco focus is main Cisco.

Q: What was the best part of filming the crossover episodes?

Brandon Routh: Crossovers are fun because we get to see people we don’t normally get to see.

Caity Lotz: I have a lot of fun going on Arrow and working with Stephen {Amell], and Willa [Holland] and alien pods.

Carlos Valdes: My favorite part is when I get to go home, take my shoes off, put on Netflix, and fall asleep (to The Great British Baking Show). .

Q: Does Iris stay a leader? How is the interaction with her and Cisco and then her and Barry when he gets back?

Carlos Valdes: Iris and Cisco butt heads a little bit in episode 1. There’s never been any antagonistic energy with these characters before.

Candice Patton: Iris and Cisco have very different ideas on if they should bring Barry back. It gets really tenuous.

Q: What have you guys learned?

Candice Patton: Don’t time travel.

Brandon Routh: Accept your fate.

Q: If you could save one person in the show, who would it be?

Robbie Amell: Me. Cause no one else will.

Caity Lotz: Iris. Because Candice and I live together.

Candice Patton: Barry, obviously.

Brandon Routh: The captain, because she’s extremely important to the show. But if not her, then I say Nate. What would Ray be without Nate? He’d be sad.

Carlos Valdes: Felicity. Because she’s way too important in the franchise. Because Cisco and Felicity can do anything.

[Moderator Ben] Beck: Can I say Snart? (audience cheers)

Q: Who in the cast do you have a close friendship with?

Brandon Routh: Nick Zano

Robbie Amell: Victor Garber and Danielle Panabaker. I try to have lunch with them when I am in town.

Candice Patton: Keiynan [Lonsdale] definitely. He’s like my brother in real life.

Caity Lotz: Maisie [Richardson-Sellers] – she’s my girl

Carlos Valdes: My relationship with Tom Cavanagh. He’s old and he’s taught me so much about making this work for me. It’s also with like life stuff. He’s a wise old, old, old man.

Q: Besides reunions, what’s the best part about shooting the crossovers?

Brandon Routh: The scope.

Candice Patton: It’s also cool to see the characters. Iris’s childhood crush on Oliver is fun.

Carlos Valdes: I like working with a new crew. It’s keeps it fresh. great learning experience.

Caity Lotz: Scoping out who has the best craft services.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Negative review by one fan of his family's experience at HVFF last weekend (includes good and bad comments about Arrowverse actors there)...

To be fair against that person I wouldn't think a person would generally like someone taking pictures of them when they're not prepared.

• Love 3

I get that,  I really do.   But in the same vein,  what exactly do the actors think they are signing up for?  I've been going to anime and comic conventions for the past ten years and have actually noticed things evolve as technology does.   As a cosplayer you get as many people snapping pics of you without asking as you do of people coming up and asking for a picture.  You adapt.   Panels which used to be "no photography" are now being recorded by everyone in the hall while also being live streamed by the event and the actors.   I also think labeling the event as a "fan fest" is a bit misleading if it's really just the same as Dragon / Awesome con.   If they feel entitled enough to use the tagline that "it's not fandom,  it's family" they should either own it and be as intimate as the smaller conventions,  or not use it. 

• Love 4

Maybe they could talk to the actors to let people take pics but still reading that recap it felt like the person thought he was going to see animals at the zoo..I'm sure it's great to have people like JB that love to be in the middle of a crowd and have no boundaries but not everyone loves to go to strangers and hug them, you can't force a person to engage easily with strangers if that's not who they are. As long as they are polite I wouldn't expect more.

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, Delphi said:

I get that,  I really do.   But in the same vein,  what exactly do the actors think they are signing up for?  I've been going to anime and comic conventions for the past ten years and have actually noticed things evolve as technology does.  

Oh yeah, I get that too and I think that ultimately if you go to the con that expect pics being taken of you, celebrity and con-goer alike. I think I was just thrown off by the attitude of the guy like Midnight Lullaby is kind of saying. Like, at one point he's saying how it's not like they're paparazzi...as he's describing how they were trying to take random photos of (not "with") the actors there. 

Edited by way2interested

Full Flash/LoT panel at HVFF-NY on Sunday (good audio, bad video)...

Fan: “If you could save only one person in the show, who would it be?” ...
Carlos Valdes: “Uh, I would say, um, Felicity. (Audience cheers) Uh, because she’s way too important to the franchise. Um, but also, I mean, I think, you know, Cisco and Felicity – if they were the last two left - they could do anything. That’s the real superpower right there.”

Fan: "On the, uh, crossovers, besides the reunion and stuff, what is the best part of shooting them?" ...
Candice Patton: "It's also really cool to see characters from different shows interact. Um, I - I will always love, you know, Iris' somewhat childish crush on Oliver and how we always kinda work that in in some way. It's just interesting. I think it's really cool to see different characters from different shows interact."

The Flash/Legends of Tomorrow Panel 2017
Published on Sep 17, 2017, by i don't like this acc

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I get what he means about not having much to do if you're not at a panel, photo op, or autograph table.  In Nashville they had a rock wall, a small stage (for trivia games and one on one interviews) in the middle of the room and, of course, the vendors, but that was it as far as alternate activities.  This guy didn't mention a rock wall or a smaller stage so maybe this one didn't have those?  If so then they really didn't offer anything to do other than spend money.  I also had HVFF staff tell me something similar to what this guy was told about taking casual pictures but they did clarify that the rule came from the publicists, that it was specific to when they were at the autograph tables, and that a few of the actors didn't actually mind.  One of the staff members even leaned in and quietly told me to take pictures of the cosplayers but have them stand with the tables behind them and use that as a way to sneak in a picture if I didn't want to pay extra money.  No one stopped me from taking a quick picture when Barrowman was wandering around or when David, Caity, and Katrina were walking to start their photo ops, nor did I see anyone else get stopped.  Either they've changed the rules, have different staff for each location, or this guy's general disappointment is causing him to exaggerate his account to make his point.  Could even be all three.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Flash promo stills for 4x01 (seems like caitlin works in a bar now)

No wonder they're having trouble keeping the bad guys down if their doctor and senior scientist has given up and is bartending.

On 9/18/2017 at 10:49 AM, ComicFan777 said:

My guess is that STAR Labs would be funded by government contracts.  Cisco seems to work on a lot of breakthrough weaponry so he probably gets government defense contracts and Caitlin could be funded by government bioengineering contracts for research in vaccines.  The contracts I've seen are for terms of several years, covering annual salaries and needed equipment for research and development. A lot of large labs in real life are funded by government contracts, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for them.  If Iris is head of the lab, then it could include trying to find more sources for grants and contracts for the lab members.  A lot of scientists have difficulty writing or hate doing write-ups to report progress on their work to grant sources - Iris, as a reporter is most likely good at writing, so if she can apply her skills towards technical writing, she would be able to help them draft the grant proposals and follow-up reports to ensure they meet grant deadlines.

I think Iris could do a good job of getting connections and hunting down possible contracts.  She could help with the proposals and cleaning up with the scientists wrote but she couldn't write them herself. But then, who would  do the research if there's no one else working at STAR Labs?

But I think we've put more thought into it than the writers ever have.

• Love 4

I think Iris would be able to help Cisco and Caitlin draft the proposals and reports - basically they tell her what their main points are, she asks them questions from different angles (particularly expenses and reasons for these expenses and the why's to translate it into layman's terms), they provide her with the answers, and she puts it together.  It can be hard to find someone that truly understands your research, so it's possible that Iris could pick up the technical jargon along the way.  It can sometimes be easier for scientists to work with someone who doesn't know the science very well to write a report because the person can ask them questions about something that they never thought of (the holes in their explanations).  Cisco and Caitlin could probably juggle multiple research contracts at a time by outsourcing some of busy work to outside grad students from universities for collaboration.

Edited by ComicFan777
  • Love 1
On 9/18/2017 at 7:39 AM, statsgirl said:

With streaming and all the other ways of watching shows, maybe airing on Thanksgiving won't make such a difference.  I'm about as old school as it gets and I PVR shows I'm not going to be able to watch live.

----*snip*----

Iris running STAR Labs, when she has neither business nor scientific training (she was taking undergrad courses in season 1) just doesn't make sense.

Agreed. I am...shall we say less technically proficient, and even I do this or catch up on the app. So strictly in regards to numbers that could be less affected than it once might have been. And even with all of that I think that alot of tv's are on during holidays - especially after the tv boom. It's what we do at least after big holiday/family dinners, so it looks like we're watching Arrow this year! 

As to the second, she wasn't actually an undergrad - she and Barry went away to college at the same time. When we meet her she's actually a graduate student finishing up her degree in (according to early interviews with the actress) Criminal Psychology. The problem is as a PhD student (she mentions working on her dissertation) she shouldn't need an undergrads elective courses (journalism, which she mentions in the same conversation) so it can get confusing. The perils of sloppy writing. 

There have been some good points upthread about how they can better utilize her skills, but honestly with Harry M.I.A, Vibe now with Kid Flash in the field, and Caitlin currently absent (coming to terms with her own powers, likely putting her out there with them more often too once she's under control) someone at the lab needs to be manning the desk, and why shouldn't she be there? They're all operating on a skeleton crew absent their leader and just trying to hold things together right now.

On 9/18/2017 at 8:18 AM, lemotomato said:

Yes, they were wrong because no one expected the CW to care so little about Arrow they'd air a new episode on a holiday, which networks rarely do.

I get where you're coming from about lack of faith from the network, but I think the original poster was just surprised as many here were about the odd scheduling. I know I was. But it's worth noting that as of now almost everyone is releasing a holiday episode -  I believe Flash and Legends are airing on Halloween. The only one to escape so far is Supergirl, (and even as a watcher, that's.. probably for the best) so at least in this instance I don't think it's a case of network neglect.

Or maybe they're just using their superhero properties as guinea pigs to test run holiday viewing data. Who knows. At this point I wouldn't put anything past them. ?

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Karlophe said:

I get where you're coming from about lack of faith from the network, but I think the original poster was just surprised as many here were about the odd scheduling.

That sounded like throwback hat-eating demands over genuine surprise to us Arrow posters XD.

30 minutes ago, Karlophe said:

I know I was. But it's worth noting that as of now almost everyone is releasing a holiday episode -  I believe Flash and Legends are airing on Halloween. The only one to escape so far is Supergirl, (and even as a watcher, that's.. probably for the best) so at least in this instance I don't think it's a case of network neglect.

Halloween/All Saints Day isn't a federal holiday though, while Thanksgiving is, making airing an episode on Halloween not as much of an abnormality as airing on Thanksgiving. Hopefully they'll play to it as well (I can at least picture LoT doing that).

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Angel12d said:
Need to get my magnifying glass out to find the women in this writers room. So many white men. ?

I don't think that's the Writers Room, that looks like a production meeting. Most likely these are the department heads.

• Love 3
Just now, Mellowyellow said:

Was gunning for Ray or Felicity dammit!!!!!!!!

I went through the test a couple of times to check the other options, and I think the only options are Oliver, Barry, Rip, Jim, and Kara, so sadly I don't think those were options anyway. Although, in an Arrow-Barry kind of way, you did get as close as you could to get Ray or Felicity.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Are they doing actual Halloween-themed episodes this year, since they're airing on the day? They've never done that before, have they? 

I don't think they have, but they should!

I'm Rip Hunter. I like Rip, but I wonder if I got him for the same reasons I got Dexter Morgan. 

Not fair!  I got The Flash.  Just because I like science?  I blame it on the site accidentally saying that my alter-ego would be police officer instead of the therapist I wanted.

ETA:  I redid it and put in the correct alter-ego and got Supergirl.  I want to travel with Dr. Who and I don't like junk food, why didn't I get Rip Hunter?

I think Caitlin is a biomedical engineer.  I think she was a doctor in the Flashpoint timeline.

I'm pretty sure she was always an M.D.  Cisco is the engineer.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I don't think that's the Writers Room, that looks like a production meeting. Most likely these are the department heads.

Still too many white dudes!

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 1