Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, Cleanqueen said:

I was trying to find that gif. Her and Eddie's lit up when Felicity walked through the door. Yeah let them be friends because we all know women aren't allowed to have female friendships in these shows.

I desperately want a scene in the crossover, where it's just the girls having drinks.

I just remember being kinda surprised watching it because I thought they might hint at Iris being jealous or something but she was lovely and supportive to Felicity and just wanted Barry to be happy. HE DOESN'T DESERVE HER!!!

There's so many little things they could do not just in the crossover but on their own shows. Have Iris and Felicity call or email each other, build their friendship in an off-screen sense, too. IDK why they never maximize their potential. It's so frustrating.

26 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I do hope though that iris and Felicity get more scenes together

Ngl, this might sound bad, but I kind of want them to at least have an exchange about their crazy relationship statuses concerning Oliver and Barry, since hypothetically WestAllen and Olicity will both be together come this crossover. Idk, I always liked the little remarks about their love lives for the last crossovers (Oliver's "guys like us don't get the girl" speech followed by Barry and Oliver's pining looks, Oliver and Barry's exchange in 208 with the "I was wrong," Iris' remarks about Oliver, etc.), so I think it could be funny if there was an exchange from Iris and Felicity's pov instead. Not necessarily letting the guys overpower their conversation, but more about how it feels to be in a relationship in this kind of life since they have that in common.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

I was trying to find that gif. Her and Eddie's lit up when Felicity walked through the door. Yeah let them be friends because we all know women aren't allowed to have female friendships in these shows.

I desperately want a scene in the crossover, where it's just the girls having drinks.

"We could've had it alllll...."

• Love 12
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

WE SERIOUSLY COULD'VE....I AM MAD!!

Of course they couldn't spare one minute showing the female characters interacting with each other when they're all already in the same place because Barry needed to be given his umpteenth pep talk. /bitter

Edited by lemotomato
7 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Of course they couldn't spare one minute showing the female characters interacting with each other when they're all already in the same place because Barry needed to be given his umpteenth pep talk. /bitter

Barry Pep Talks are a priority...The whole flash portion of the crossover was a big mess to me. There were a lot of unnecessary scenes that went nowhere.

But honestly, Iris could easily show up on Arrow to cover a story and her and Felicity could go out and have drinks and actually discuss the things in their lives. It's really not that hard, they just have to want to make it work. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Cleanqueen said:

Personally hoping for a wild bachelorette party* where they also get to take down a villain/threat themselves. No boys!

*(For whoever gets married)

• Love 8
23 hours ago, wonderwall said:

This is random but this is my prediction on the number of episodes the following characters will appear in for the crossovers:

Kara: 4
Barry: 4
Oliver: 4
Cisco: 4
Sara: 4
Ray: 4
Felicity: 3-4
Diggle: 3-4 
Caitlin: 2-3
Iris: 1
Newbies: 1
Thea: 1
Joe: 1
Alex/other SG cast: 1
BS: 0-1

For life? Because this would be great :')

I will be so mad if Iris did not get to participate in another crossover event. 

2 hours ago, Cleanqueen said:

Given the number of times we've seen Oliver and Barry having drinks,we're earned one with the women.

1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

There are so many times I thought Iris should've crossed over to Arrow to cover a big story. Green Arrow, DD, Mayors dying left and right. I want her to crossover and get her reporter on! 

But then, who would give Barry his pep talks?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, JJ928 said:

her arcs, like every other woman in the arrow-verse, always connected back to men. That isn't reducing her, it's pointing out a flaw in this universe. I also said Felicity is the core of the team, and imo the most important player after Oliver, and yes, that's even before his family.

I think it's pretty easy to connect anyone's storylines back to some other person. Using the same standards applied against Felicity, has anything Oliver ever done been his alone?  

As far as I can tell, Robert and Talia are behind him putting on the mask and going home to Starling City.  The Undertaking, that's Malcolm and his mother.  Trying to be a better man and hero  - Tommy.    Saving Roy, that's about Slade with a bit of Thea on the side.  Oliver walking away from the mask at the end season three was about both Ra's and Felicity.  Season four returning to the fight was motivated by Felicity and the whole team.  The Myson lie, Samantha.  Proposing to Felicity, Felicity.  Him wanting to be Mayor ties back to Moira's run from years ago and even more so to the promise he made to his father that pushes him to save the city.  And Chase ties back to season one which again ties to Robert.  

Almost every major story arc that anyone has can be traced to someone else, but it only becomes ONLY about that person if they don't get something personal out of it.  And I feel that even in the most blatant instance of Felicity having a storyline that propped someone else aka Palmer Island, even that time it was also about Felicity refusing to just accept the inevitable future, waiting for Oliver to fall like Sara.  Felicity spent most of her time away from the team in season three with Ray but it was never JUST about Ray. It was about her wanting more out of life and gave us a chance to see her strength to rebuild her life and show off what she could do outside of the Arrow Cave.  Later, when she was given Palmer Tech, Ray was nothing more than a spring board to get her to her story.  That's what Cooper was with her Goth tale as well.  And Diggle and Billy were even a smaller part of her Helix storyline.  

The characters on this show are interconnected so it feels only natural that their motivations would bump into each other during individual character arcs.      

1 minute ago, statsgirl said:

But then, who would give Barry his pep talks?

Maybe just have her redo her voicemail message.  "You have reached Iris West.  Please leave a message.  Oh and Barry, I believe in you!  You can do it!" 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Cleanqueen said:

But honestly, Iris could easily show up on Arrow to cover a story and her and Felicity could go out and have drinks and actually discuss the things in their lives. It's really not that hard, they just have to want to make it work. 

One of my fave scenes during the first crossover was Cisco, Caitlin, and was it Felicity? having drinks at Verdant. I want more of that. Give it to me!!!

• Love 4
(edited)
9 hours ago, wonderwall said:

Could being the operative word. She could be useful but the show refuses to LET her be useful. And that's an issue. Like I said - the show hasn't been invested in Iris at all in any other way than her relationship with Barry. And giving her an episode here and there isn't enough investment imo. It's just acknowledging a character is there on the show. I mean they've given Laurel episodes here and there. 

I'm totally prepared to take back this statement. They might finally be giving Iris her due. Let's just see if this pans out on screen. I remember David saying he was team leader of the B-team in S4 but that wasn't really showcased, so we'll see.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 4

They don't have an HR/Wells right now, right?  The team consists of Iris, Cisco, Caitlin, Wally and Julian?

Let's see if she's still team leader at the winter break.  Not that she shouldn't be because she's more suited to it than some others, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thought of a reason why Barry and Iris would cancel their wedding.  If Joe was injured to the point of not being able to be there and walk Iris down the isle, they would absolutley postpone the wedding.  

Just now, BkWurm1 said:

Thought of a reason why Barry and Iris would cancel their wedding.  If Joe was injured to the point of not being able to be there and walk Iris down the isle, they would absolutley postpone the wedding.  

I feel like at most this could postpone for a couple of months... I don't see it postponing it till season 5 for Flash.

Just now, statsgirl said:

They don't have an HR/Wells right now, right?  The team consists of Iris, Cisco, Caitlin, Wally and Julian?

Let's see if she's still team leader at the winter break.  Not that she shouldn't be because she's more suited to it than some others, but I'm not holding my breath.

No, I'm not holding mine either but in Flashpointe, she was planning out Wally's heroing.  

I kinda figured she'd start out that way, seeing as how she was only one who seemed to be upset at Barry going into the speedforce anyway. She's probably going to be the one who insists they get him back.

• Love 1
Just now, wonderwall said:

I feel like at most this could postpone for a couple of months... I don't see it postponing it till season 5 for Flash.

Maybe postpone it long enough for something else to postpone it til season five?  Like amnesia?  Then Iris can fall in love with him all over again and be not told about him being the Flash to keep her safe all over again.  (Yikes!  I hate even putting that out there.  It sounds way too much like something they'd do.)

1 hour ago, wonderwall said:

I'm totally prepared to take back this statement. They might finally be giving Iris her due. Let's just see if this pans out on screen. I remember David saying he was team leader of the B-team in S4 but that wasn't really showcased, so we'll see.

Ugh. Please no.

(edited)
42 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Saturn Award Winners:

Best Actress: Melissa Benoist

Best Supporting Actress: Candice Patton

Best Superhero TV Series: Supergirl

Wow.  That was some pretty tough competition for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress.

The competition. In case anyone was curious. :)

http://variety.com/2017/film/awards/saturn-awards-nominations-2017-rogue-one-walking-dead-1202000833/

Best Actress on a Television Series:
Melissa Benoist “Supergirl” (The CW)
Caitriona Balfe “Outlander” (Starz)
Kim Dickens “Fear the Walking Dead” (AMC)
Vera Farmiga “Bates Motel” (A&E)
Lena Headey “Game of Thrones” (HBO)
Sarah Paulson “American Horror Story: Roanoke” (FX)
Winona Ryder “Stranger Things” (Netflix)

Best Supporting Actress on a Television Series:
Kathy Bates “American Horror Story: Roanoke” (FX)
Danai Gurira “The Walking Dead” (AMC)
Melissa McBride “The Walking Dead” (AMC)
Thandie Newton “Westworld” (HBO)
Candice Patton “The Flash” (The CW)
Adina Porter “American Horror Story: Roanoke” (FX)
Evan Rachel Wood “Westworld” (HBO)

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

All they need for a Westallen wedding is for the groom to be out of the speed force before it's time to rent his tux.  I'm half  expecting Iris to be pushing ahead on the wedding planning, as proof of her certainty they would find a way to bring him home.  Either that or when they get him back, Barry zips around to make it happen, lol.   

Of course it would make more sense for them to postpone the wedding but expecting logic is asking a lot.  ;)

(edited)
13 hours ago, Cleanqueen said:

Hey, Susan Williams is already in Star City and she doesn't show up to cover major news events (Oliver's press conference to announce the new gun law, Oliver's press conference about his father Robert Queen).

Edited by tv echo
43 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Uh, is the Saturn Awards kinda like the TCAs? I'm not that familiar with it. Because yeah, good for CP and MB but wow! Against those nominees, they both are "one of these things is not like the other."

It's more like,  "hey genre shows and sci fi are kept out of real awards due to bias,  but we appreciate you have a trophy" kind of thing. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Uh, is the Saturn Awards kinda like the TCAs? I'm not that familiar with it. Because yeah, good for CP and MB but wow! Against those nominees, they both are "one of these things is not like the other."

It's not quite the same level as the TCAs. For the Saturn Awards you'd have to pay a membership fee ($25-40) to be a voting member of their Academy. And membership is open to anyone.

The CW sure had a good showing this year, though! Riverdale also won for Best Thriller Show.

Edited by lemotomato

I don't watch SG so I can't speak to MB but CP was probably great with what she was given but what she was given wasn't great. And no where in the league of the other nominees. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The 20 Greatest TV Spin-Offs Of All Time
by CAMERON WILLIAMS  29 JUNE 2017
http://junkee.com/spin-offs-tv-best-list/110286

20. The Flash (2014 — ongoing)
.  .  .
When Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) appeared on Arrow it generated excitement because the signs were looking good for the chances of The Flash showing up in future episodes. Not only did he re-appear, but he got hit by lightening, which is how the character becomes the fastest man alive. Allen’s Arrow appearance is what’s known as a ‘backdoor pilot’, a way of introducing a character to set up their own spin-off. The Flash is one of the best adaptations of a DC comic book character, which is separate from the DC movies, and making them look bad in comparison (Wonder Woman excluded).

20. The Flash (2014 — ongoing)
19. Agent Carter (2015 — 2016)
18. Family Matters (1989 — 1997)
17. Angel (1999 — 2004)
16. Melrose Place (1992 — 1999)
15. Xena: Warrior Princess (1995 — 2001)
14. Pinky and the Brain (1995 — 1998)
13. The Good Fight (2017 — ongoing)
12. Absolutely Fabulous (original series 1992 — 1996)
11. Kath and Kim (2002 — 2007)
10. Degrassi Junior High (1987 — 1989)
9. Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (1999 — ongoing)
8. Laverne and Shirley (1976 — 1983)
7. Better Call Saul (2015 — ongoing)
6. Daria (1997 — 2001)
5. Colbert Report (2005 — 2015)
4. Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987 — 1994)
3. Mork and Mindy (1978 — 1982)
2. Fraiser (1993 — 2004)
1. The Simpsons (1989 — ongoing)

Edited by tv echo

MB's acting is one of the many reasons why I stopped watching Supergirl. And then I was reminded of it in the Flash/Supergirl Musical.

I do think Candice has range but like nowhere near the other nominees, come on Thandie Newton and Evan Rachel Wood are in a league of their own.

• Love 1

I don't get how Tatiana Maslany wasn't even a nominee. That makes that entire nominees list suspect IMO. It's absurd that Fear the Walking Dead was nominated for anything iMO it's terrible.and Kim Dickens is awful in it. IMO.

, I think Melissa is a great actor but sorry IMO not better than Thandie Newton or Evan Rachel Wood.

• Love 2

Seems like Melissa & Candice both won, I know Saturn isn't a big deal but good for them. I am not a fan of Melissa's acting but I know plenty people are.

The TCAs are rigged by Fox, often in conjunction with various talent agencies. That has nothing to do with quality/popularity/any other valid show metric, just with what Fox thinks will bring in viewers and/or which agencies/managers are hustling for their clients. 

The Saturn Awards are a bit different - they aren't being rigged in the hopes of getting viewers to tune in, and the majority of voters are enthusiastic science fiction fans from the Los Angeles area who bought memberships largely in order to see genre films with like minded viewers, and/or industry pros supporting the organization. That said, voting memberships can be bought for a relatively small fee and historically, yes, some fan groups have banded together to buy memberships in order to support their favorite shows/actors or much more rarely to vote against a particular show.

Still, that shows some considerable investment from fans (especially compared to clicking on an internet poll), so, even if that happened with Flash and Supergirl this year, kudos to both shows, and to Candice Patton and Melissa Benoist!

• Love 5

I wonder if nominations are submitted by the network or by the actors themselves? I noticed that Grant has been nominated in all 3 seasons of Flash but SA (nor anyone from the Arrow cast) has never been. 

Maybe they gave Candice and Melissa the awards love as a kind of consolation prize? Like a "Yeah we know the writing pretty much sucked for you this season and you got saddled with some REALLY lame stuff, but you did a great job with what you were given!" award? Alright I know that's not true, but its a sort of nice thought. Especially for Candice, who spent all season giving it her all in a storyline where she was relegated to damsel and secondary character, in a story about HER OWN IMPENDIND DEATH!

3 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I wonder if nominations are submitted by the network or by the actors themselves? I noticed that Grant has been nominated in all 3 seasons of Flash but SA (nor anyone from the Arrow cast) has never been. 

Saturn nominations are submitted by active voting members, not by the network or actors.

Once nominated, the Saturn Award administrators contact the studios for sample episodes/scenes/script pages.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

I think Melissa is a great actor but sorry IMO not better than Thandie Newton or Evan Rachel Wood.

Or Kathy Bates, who was also nominated.  Or Tatiana Maslany, as you say. Good for CP and MB though.   Especially for CP because playing Iris seems like a thankless task.

I think of the Hugos as the main awards for genre/sci fi fans.  This year it's Doctor Who, Leviathan and GoT among others.  (in 1997 B5's Severed Dreams beat out Star Trek: First Contact, DS9's Trials and Tribillations, Mars Attacks and Independence Day. Those were the days.)

Edited by statsgirl
(edited)
37 minutes ago, quarks said:

Saturn nominations are submitted by active voting members, not by the network or actors.

Once nominated, the Saturn Award administrators contact the studios for sample episodes/scenes/script pages.

That's good to know, thanks! So the award process can be fan-driven from start to finish.

Edited by lemotomato

Thanks for the info. I was side eyeing those results hard I'm sorry to say and figured it must have been like the TCA and PCA awards where it's publicist driven awards.

11 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

That's good to know, thanks! Since it seems like the award process can be fan-driven from start to finish, I'm surprised Arrow doesn't have a better showing, considering how hard its fans pull for SA and EBR in polls. 

Well I wasn't aware how the Saturns worked so I'm guessing there's probably a lot of Arrow fans who don't know either.

But to be honest if there was a push for Arrow fans/Olicity fans to participate in something like that I know I don't know that Id be paying money for something like that because I'll vote in online polls and MTV SOTY because it's (for the most part) all in good fun and a way to pass over boredom. I'd feel uncomfortable personally buying validation.

7 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

But to be honest if there was a push for Arrow fans/Olicity fans to participate in something like that I know I don't know that Id be paying money for something like that because I'll vote in online polls and MTV SOTY because it's (for the most part) all in good fun and a way to pass over boredom. I'd feel uncomfortable personally buying validation.

I don't know... a one-year $25 membership fee compared to weeks of mouse clicking? I'm old and tired, haha.

• Love 4
(edited)
8 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I don't know... a one-year $25 membership fee compared to weeks of mouse clicking? I'm old and tired, haha.

LOL, I was exhausted from just the little I saw for that E poll and didn't even participate. You might have a good class action suit for poll clicking induced carpal tunnel. 

Edited by leopardprint
16 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

True.

I don't know. It doesn't seem in good sport to pay money for an award like that. I'd much rather donate to the various charitable causes.

(edited)

So David Harewood really destroyed the Supergirl Writing staff for not fleshing out his character etc. He went ALL IN. I love when actors spill tea. I want to see more actors candid like this (although I know and understand why they aren't). Supergirl really does treat its PoC terribly... It starts at the 4 minute mark.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 6