Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

‘Black Lightning’ TV Character Breakdowns Revealed
Feb. 15, 2017
http://heroichollywood.com/black-lightning-breakdowns-revealed/

With the show reportedly starting production in March, casting is definitely happening and thanks to That Hashtag Show, we now have an idea of what characters are being cast. During their latest episode of their show, the hosts dropped a breakdown of what characters that Black Lightning is currently casting.
JEFFERSON PIERCE:  “Male, African-American, late 30s to 50. Handsome, fit, with an athletic build. Former 3-time gold medal decathlon winner who is now principal of a high school in South Central Los Angeles. A father figure to his student and hero to the local community. JEFFERSON is charming, charismatic, smart, and has both warmth and humor. He is devoted to his two daughters and remains deeply in love with his ex-wife LYNN. He also has a great passion for justice and a quick temper that he has spent years learning how to control. Think Idris Elba. LEAD.

JENNIFER: Female. African-American, LEGAL 18 to play 16. JEFFERSON’s younger daughter. JENNIFER is a scholar athlete; beautiful with a lean, athletic runner’s build. She is the entitled feminist of the Pierce family. Independent and outspoken with a wild streak. SERIES REGUALR, ASP.

ANISSA: Female. African-American, to play 22. JEFFERSON’s elder daughter. Beautiful, quick-witted and intelligent; intense and passionate. ANISSA has a great respect for her father. ANISA balances the demands of medical school with her duties as a part time teacher at JEFFERSON’s school. SERIES REGULAR, ASP.

LYNN: Female, African-American, mid 30s to 50. Exudes confidence and intelligence. Beautiful, but not to be trifled with. Can exhibit both great emotional depth as well as a flirtatious, mischievous side. SERIES REGULAR, ASP.”

Fans of the Black Lightning mythology will recognize Jennifer and Anissa as the female heroes Lightning and Thunder respectively. In addition to that, Jefferson’s ex-wife Lynn is also from the DC Universe and part of Jefferson’s mythology.

Black Lightning centers on Jefferson Pierce. He made his choice: He hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hellbent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend Black Lightning.”

Edited by tv echo

I don't know why Ben Affleck dropped out from being the director. I have a feeling it is mostly related to his poor financial reception to his most recent movie, Live by Night. Which I didn't see, but it seemed like a redundant movie in the promos - thus waiting for DVD.

As much as BvS was a dud upon arrival. I don't think that was all Ben's fault. The movie's plot line was ridiculous. The script was horrible. And the ending was just meh. Plus it killed Superman. But mostly, I don't believe the adversarial tone of BvS helped the movie at all from pre to post production.

I'm hoping Ben does well on the new Batman movie. I hope it exceeds expectations. The fact that he's dropping the directorship does not impact my expectations. I'm still looking forward to the project with Ben's involvement.

I do think his leaving the directorship, in addition to other directors leaving points more to how DC is handling their movie projects. It seems like they are having some difficulty curating their projects. And from what articles have said it seems like they meddle with the movies to the point that they ruin it either in over influence, editing or somewhere.

• Love 6

I don't know how it happened but somehow Wally has become my favourite character on The Flash. Maybe because the other characters have fairly angst-y situations going on right now, but he's having fun learning how to run and stuff and I enjoy watching him. 

Barry's pep talk to Iris like an episode or two ago was...something, though. All about how Wally was brave and Iris was important because...Barry loved her? Maybe it was cute for the shippers but Iris is someone the writers barely remember to write at the best of times so that scene stood out to me a little more than it probably should have. Maybe because the women on The Flash are so underwritten that it really does feel like they're only important because of their connections to Barry, which makes sense in one way because that is just how TV works sometimes.

But I actually do think the writers are trying to include Iris and Caitlyn more this season. Like the middle stretch of the fall run always seemed to end on Caitlyn freezing something and Iris has a pretty big damsel in distress thing going on at the minute. I mean, damsel in distress and woman who can't control her powers probably weren't the best ways to go but I do feel like they're trying. 

• Love 3

Affleck was set to direct, write and star in the Batman movie, now he's down to just starring in it. I do think having other directors quit is more on DC and WB meddling in the storytelling because they apparently didn't learn their lessons from the mess that was BvS and Suicide Squad. The Flash has gone through like 3 directors and is back to writing board, which is also what happened with Batman.  I feel bad for Wonder Woman, that movie has the fate of the entire DC universe on it's back. I want it to be good, but I'm not going in with high expectations with the news coming out of DC. 

Meanwhile Marvel releases a BTS vid of the first day of shooting Infinity Wars talking about how that movie was 10 years in the making starting with Iron Man in 2008.

DC has three of the most well known super heroes ever in Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman and it's still

tumblr_nrx72kCz5B1uaxri3o1_500.gif

• Love 14
21 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been that much chatter about the Lego Batman movie. It's DC's best reviewed movie since TDKR and was #1 in the box office.

I just got to see it today.  I had been worried that all the good stuff was in the previews but they don't even scratch the surface of the movie.  It's just packed with good stuff.  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I just got to see it today.  I had been worried that all the good stuff was in the previews but they don't even scratch the surface of the movie.  It's just packed with good stuff.  

And I'm going on Friday to see it! Cant wait!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Featherhat said:

Is Black Lightening likely to be an all Black cast? I ask because isn't that a 1st for the CW (although not UPN pre merger)? Ditto having someone 40-50's as the lead character.

Major first for CW, UPN had shows with all black casts and I think a couple survived the merger. However, CW as a network hasn't been very racially diverse at all.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Preeeetty sure the show erased her bisexuality... 

I know the twitter comments that one of the former writers made regarding this, and it's true that Sara has only been involved with women this season, and told Laurel in the dream scenario that she preferred girls.  

But since Arthur Darvill returned to the show, I think there's been hints that they have not given up on the idea of a Sara/Rip pairing, and it always seemed like MG supported that pairing over any of the others. 

So for that reason I am not sure that they've erased Sara's bisexuality.  We'll have to wait on see on that.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I know the twitter comments that one of the former writers made regarding this, and it's true that Sara has only been involved with women this season, and told Laurel in the dream scenario that she preferred girls.  

But since Arthur Darvill returned to the show, I think there's been hints that they have not given up on the idea of a Sara/Rip pairing, and it always seemed like MG supported that pairing over any of the others. 

So for that reason I am not sure that they've erased Sara's bisexuality.  We'll have to wait on see on that.

Agree. If the show had "erased" her bisexuality, she would have said, "You know I like girls" instead of "prefer." And though I'm straight, I don't think there's some kind of chart or rules that state that someone who is bisexual has to have an even number of partners of both sexes to "prove" they are bisexual and not gay or a lesbian.

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

She had sex, seemingly quite a bit of sex, with Oliver. So agreed, I genuinely don't understand how she's not bisexual. She doesn't have to bang a dude every so often to keep her bi- card

• Love 4
On 2/14/2017 at 10:38 PM, Starfish35 said:

From TVLine:

Supergirl's Chris Wood Previews Mon-El vs. Mr. Mxyzptlk

Wow.  Judging by the comments, Supergirl fandom has developed a new ship war: Karamel (Kara/Mon-El) vs SuperCorp (Kara/Lena).  I don't know whether to LOL or facepalm.  Or both. :)

Trailer for next week:

Ugh.  It's SwanQueen all over again (those of you who watch Once Upon a Time will know exactly what I'm talking about!).

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Oooh explain please! What's this got to do with Regina?

I only watched the first season!

I think just that on Supergirl, more people prefer shipping Kara and Lena than the show's actual romantic relationship they have set up for Kara.  Just like on OUAT where Emma and Regina is the preferred ship for many.   

Well, SwanQueen shippers are known for being very, um....passionate, shall we say? in support of their ship.  I do not think SuperCorp shippers have quite risen to that level of....um...devotedness.  But I also can't say I didn't think of them while reading all the comments. 

What I actually find interesting is how quickly SuperCorp seems to have caught up with SuperCat, which seemed to be the main fan ship last year.  And Kara and Lena haven't really even had that many scenes together. 

Edited by Starfish35
2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Ahh thanks guys

That's really interesting! I always thought Regina  was super evil from season 1! 

She wasn't called the Evil Queen for nothing.  ;)

Edited by BkWurm1
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

So I don't understand the shipping!!!!

Evil is cool, dontcha know?

Just google "Draco in leather pants" trope and be enlightened. Regina is a great example, as even the writers soon started forgetting all the bad things she's done. However, I wouldn't say Swan Queen is more popular. It has very vocal fans, but overall, I had the impression Captain Swan was well-received and popular both among (non-SQ) fans and general audience.

As for Supergirl and its ships, eh, I quit because I just stopped caring at some point when it became clear the writing wouldn't improve. Legends is the only DCTV show I'm following ATM.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

I find Kara's male romantic interests bland and boring and would rather watch her and Lena. It also looks like Katie McGrath is playing it like Lena's into Kara. Then in the last episode Lena sent 100 flowers to Kara's office. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

I MUCH prefer shipping Kara/Lena to the Regina/Emma SwanQueen madness. At least Lena and Kara are both good guys and have a nice chemistry. SwanQueen has always been creepy to me, mainly because the show constantly expect us to feel sorry for poor woobie reformed villain Regina who has gone from the Big Bad to the Hero we Deserve who can do no wrong and anyone who doesn't like her is a big meanie face. I just cant get behind shipping Emma with the woman who raped and murdered Emma's first love interest, has murdered countless innocents, and separated Emma from her parents for28 years, and has only vaguely apologized. Sorry, not into that.

But my Regina rant could take all day, so lets not go there...

• Love 6
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

If you want an Arrow panel at Nerd HQ this year...

Arrow has a big lead so far. I voted for Legends, because I want to know more about that show. Also, SA will probably do one even if Arrow is not given a slot. But honestly, I don't think these polls ever count to much the Organization will book who they want to, who's available and who they can afford/profit off of.

Well even Charities want to make a lot of amount of money for the charity. So its not profiting in the traditional sense, but making the most of money possible is the goal.

And my point was for these votes in general not just Nerd HQ. It's just a way to use social media to promote buzz.

‘Iron Fist’ is kind of reminding us of ‘Arrow’
LINDSAY MACDONALD  FEBRUARY 21, 2017
http://screenertv.com/television/netflixs-iron-fist-things-in-common-with-arrow/

Netflix's next great Marvel adventure is "Iron Fist," the story of a billionaire who "comes back to life" after disappearing in a plane crash with his parents as a child. His struggle to reconnect with old friends and reclaim his family's company are only half the story, however, as he uses the secret skills he learned while away to fight crime.
After returning to reclaim his old life, it becomes apparent that Danny is no longer the kid he used to be, given that he's mastered martial arts and committed to a mission to save his city from crime. Every good hero needs a mysterious backstory, and Oliver [Queen] and Danny's tragic tale of victim turned vigilante is tried and true in the comic book world.
Danny also has a childhood friend, Joy Meachum (Jessica Stroup), who will serve as his confidant and probable love interest, despite being completely unaware of his new double life. Laurel Lance (Katie Cassidy) took on this role for Oliver -- though admittedly the dynamic was different, given that Oliver disappeared later in life while he was already romantically attached to Laurel.

Another female character, Colleen Wing (Jessica Henwick), helps Danny on his crimefighting mission, and she seriously reminds us of Diggle (David Ramsey). Gruff and blunt and completely awesome, Colleen makes for a perfect sidekick, and like Diggle, we expect she'd probably punch you if she ever heard you call her that.

"Iron Fist" will also apparently feature flashbacks to Danny's time away after his plane crash, which is a major element of "Arrow" as well. One can only hope that the "Iron Fist" flashbacks will be better received by fans than Oliver's various island flashbacks.
Despite these somewhat overwhelming similarities, there are some key differences we're excited to see "Iron Fist" tackle. Danny didn't just pick up martial arts on his travels, he picked up a superpower along the way too. The ability to call on the Iron Fist, which puts him a cut above Oliver Queen. The addition of this new ability -- and how and where he got it -- will obviously take the show in different directions than "Arrow."

We're also interested to see how Danny will cope with being an orphan, a struggle we never had to watch Oliver go through. Given that Oliver's father was the only one to die (while his mother and sister remained alive and well in Star City), he had a family to come home to. Danny, on the other hand, lost his only family at a young age, and grew up virtually alone. That's a pretty huge difference in each vigilante's origin story.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Iron Fist sounds intriguing but the built-in triangle makes me go Ugh.

I'm interested in seeing what Lot does with J.R.R. Tolkien.

Wrt Supergirl ratings:  It looks like women are increasingly being turned off .  That tracks with many of the comments in the thread for the last two episodes where women complained that the show was increasingly going for sexist tropes and making Kara less independently-minded,

23 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Congratz LOT fans, you gonna enjoy KC on your season finale

Not surprised.  I think @Primal Slayer mentioned something about her being back in Vancouver so I figured it was probably for this.

For the love of everything, let this be the end of it though.  Pleeeeeeeease. *cries*

Supergirl back down to 0.7.  Is that their new normal?

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3
Just now, Velocity23 said:

My problem is that Darkh knows about his future. They need to fix this otherwise its gonna interfere with the Arrow timeline. 

Technically he doesn't know how he dies, right? Just when he dies. They could retcon and make it the reason why he wants to nuke the world to escape from dying and why he wanted the plans to progress on time in the first place. Finding out about Sara Lance could be why he goes to Star City in the first place and stages the whole Genesis thing there and why he goes to blackmail Lance. At this point he doesn't even know who Oliver is or that Oliver is the one who kills him, so I can see them just mentioning that Darhk is going back to his timeline and making a reference about planning Genesis or something.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

My problem is that Darkh knows about his future. They need to fix this otherwise its gonna interfere with the Arrow timeline. 

This has been my problem with LoT this season. The Legends can't really do much to Darhk unless they want to erase all of S4 of Arrow, so what are they going to do with him at the end of the season? He has to get married and have a kid, otherwise most of Arrow 410 doesn't happen, there's no one to run against Oliver for mayor, etc. 

I really hope they thought everything through about Darhk and the timeline and Arrow when they planned this storyline for LoT.

• Love 1

Flashbacks/vision (like Mick seeing Snart) is a good possibility.  The other guest character, along with the villains, is JRR Tolkein.  That suggests that the episode isn't set in 2016, or at least only a part of it is then.  This may be fulfilling KC's contract requirements rather than a re-do of 4x23.

Edited by statsgirl
39 minutes ago, Chaser said:

What if she just appears in flashbacks for Sara? I would laugh a lot.

I think that is a high possibility but I think it all depends on how long she is there for filming. This is a hard one to tell though. They could change the timeline, Laurel lives but then Sara knows she has to correct things so she lets Laurel die in the end. It could be Siren being recruited and fighting the team. Either way forme, if this doesn't bleed into next season it will seem rushed.