Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

28 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

He wasn't my fav but he was plenty popular so yeah, at least some of those eyeballs are sad Michael fans.  They have been really kind to them though.  I don't think they will ever be really negative about him but I also like that they haven't sainted him like they did Laurel.  They even were willing to bring up and honor Jane's past relationship with Rafael while still celebrating her choosing Michael.  

JtV has hit 0.3s before and bounced back.  I don't even think that's a series low for them.  Not saying that the storyline couldn't be having an effect, but it's hard to say that right now.

• Love 1
(edited)

"We saw in the [Invasion!] crossover how well they responded to Barry creating the Flashpoint Universe," said executive producer Aaron Helbing. "I don't think he's really concerned what the Legends think. I think his main concern is saving the woman he loves." 

Cool, so he learned a less-

LOL

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 11

Yeah nah they are going to marry Barry off in the third season. I'd be very surprised. I'm expecting WestAllen to have at least one breakup angst storyline before getting to the I Dos.

• Love 1

Funny, I was getting more and more confident that WestAllen is going to last long-term, but this big proposal stopped me in my tracks and makes me think something bad's gonna happen now. It just seems too soon! Plus, ending it without her answer is suspicious.

I mean, even if she did say yes, they don't have to get married until sometime in Season 4 I guess, but still...I don't know. It feels like they JUST moved in together, so now I'm suspicious of everything, lol.

• Love 1

I think she'll put the brakes on it since it seems like he might be doing this to change the future and not necessarily because he wants to at this particular point in time, but without a breakup and with him just asking her at some later point in time after Savitar has been defeated. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ruby24 said:

Funny, I was getting more and more confident that WestAllen is going to last long-term, but this big proposal stopped me in my tracks and makes me think something bad's gonna happen now. It just seems too soon! Plus, ending it without her answer is suspicious.

I mean, even if she did say yes, they don't have to get married until sometime in Season 4 I guess, but still...I don't know. It feels like they JUST moved in together, so now I'm suspicious of everything, lol.

At least you can be confident that Barry doesn’t have a half witted spawn and lying hag baby mama hiding somewhere.

Even if they break up it'll be tasteful.

• Love 2
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Apparently 

Hide contents

Barry proposes today!

I can't deny that when I read about the proposal I was like "huh, maybe they really are going to kill her off."  I mean, I really don't actually think they are - I'm just amused at how I've been conditioned by TV to see a marriage proposal as a harbinger of doom.  Lol. :)

3 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Yep, exactly.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 4

Barry's proposal was more about the ring than him actually wanting to marry her. It had no soul at all. And she's definitely going to say no. There is something about a secret threatening them next week, what could that be?

Barry's speech was pathetic. He legit spent half the time talking about the ring than Iris or their relationship. It seems as though this is becoming a trend. Just like when Iris thought she felt useless, all Barry could say was that without her, the Flash wouldn't exist... Which ok... But is there anything else he can say? Like her strengths that make the team better? Or something?

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I can't deny that when I read about the proposal I was like "huh, maybe they really are going to kill her off."  I mean, I really don't actually think they are - I'm just amused at how I've been conditioned by TV to see a marriage proposal as a harbinger of doom.  Lol. :)

Yep, exactly.

Yeah honestly that was my first thought when I read it on Twitter "When's the break up?" 

13 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I think she'll put the brakes on it since it seems like he might be doing this to change the future and not necessarily because he wants to at this particular point in time, but without a breakup and with him just asking her at some later point in time after Savitar has been defeated. 

I don't see the proposal like this at all. He's been so focused on changing the future so that Iris doesn't die, that he couldn't think about their lives in the future. He's always loved her/been in love with her. So I believe him when he told her this was about living and creating their future.

And just because he proposed now doesn't mean they're getting married in the next few episodes!

But, I'm a Barry fan and understand most here aren't and how we feel colors or affects how we see things. 

That said, and knowing the penchant of the people who run all these shows, I know they'll fuck it up, because that's how they roll.?

• Love 1
Just now, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't see the proposal like this at all. He's been so focused on changing the future so that Iris doesn't die, that he couldn't think about their lives in the future. He's always loved her/been in love with her. So I believe him when he told her this was about living and creating their future.

Yeah, I'm not the best person to weigh in because I think Barry is garbage and I don't think much of his relationship with Iris at all. I just figured that since he was reminded in the MSF that he couldn't change the past but could change the future, that that's what he's been trying to do.

I watched the proposal scene and wow that was a long story about the ring, at first I thought it was cute about his grandparents but then he went on to his mother.... 

Edit Barry! 

Olicity did it better ...... even with the elephant BMD in the room :p

• Love 7

The Eddie/Iris proposal was ten times better and Iris honestly had more love towards Eddie than she does with Barry. There is no passion with Barry and thats because Barry is a kid. I get more chemistry between Wally and Jesse...also Gypsy and Cisco are honestly my new fav ship after Olicity. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I thought the proposal was cute. Then again I like Barry and Iris. Barry could/should have said more which is why I think she's gonna say no

Edited by lbrown905
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't think she'll say no outright- I think she might say something like she wants to wait. I think they'll do something to delay the engagement until the finale, maybe.

However, I could see them getting married in Season 4. Like, the second half of Season 4. I always thought they would want them to be married DURING the show, not just in the series finale (yes, due to the comics history, I thought it would happen). 

But they do have to space it out right, with the milestones coming at large enough intervals for the relationship to keep progressing over a period of seasons. This proposal, coming so soon after they moved in together, just feels a little too fast, so I suspect something will trip it up.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, lemotomato said:

It can't be good news that Supergirl is getting Arrow season 5-type ratings in season 2, right? I know they're renewed, but I wonder what changes will be made next season.

I can't speak for others but I think Mon-el eating up.screen time from Alex, J'onn Jimmy and Winn might be a reason ratings are dropping a bit or him being almost constantly with Kara. I've seen other reasons why Supergirl has lost viewers 

6 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I don't think she'll say no outright- I think she might say something like she wants to wait. I think they'll do something to delay the engagement until the finale, maybe.

However, I could see them getting married in Season 4. Like, the second half of Season 4. I always thought they would want them to be married DURING the show, not just in the series finale (yes, due to the comics history, I thought it would happen). 

But they do have to space it out right, with the milestones coming at large enough intervals for the relationship to keep progressing over a period of seasons. This proposal, coming so soon after they moved in together, just feels a little too fast, so I suspect something will trip it up.

Yea that's what I meant with her saying no.

Relationships on this show do move fast. Jesse/Wally for example.

Yeah, but Jesse's a recurring character only, so I can see why they'd have to use her appearances to move things along, if they're going to go there with her and Wally.

I don't know what's going to happen with her though- I can't imagine the show will have a lot of use for three speedsters for too long. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Oh I like Barry/Iris. Not as an OTP or anything but I like them. I just feel like Barry could have waited to tell her the history of the ring until later. Didn't need to be part of the proposal. 

Yea I get it. They seem to declare their love for each other every episode. So I feel like I've heard all Barry could say about Iris which is why I didn't mind it

1 minute ago, ruby24 said:

Yeah, but Jesse's a recurring character only, so I can see why they'd have to use her appearances to move things along, if they're going to go there with her and Wally.

I don't know what's going to happen with her though- I can't imagine the show will have a lot of use for three speedsters for too long. 

That's a good point

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Yep, exactly.

Yeah, the proposal made me wonder if they will kill her. I don't think it will stick if they do or it could be a fake out and someone else dies in her place but the rush in their relationship feels frantic and over the top, like Barry decorating the apartment that morning.  (I assumed for Valentine's Day but maybe he was really into Friends Day?)

42 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Oh I like Barry/Iris. Not as an OTP or anything but I like them. I just feel like Barry could have waited to tell her the history of the ring until later. Didn't need to be part of the proposal. 

What ruined it for me was when he brought up Joe holding it for him since his mother died.  Ugh.  Can't these two do anything without including dad in the mix?

34 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I think there's a good chance that Wally and Jessie could be both shipped off to Earth 2.  Either that or he loses his powers since getting them was sketchy in the first place.  

(edited)
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I think there's a good chance that Wally and Jessie could be both shipped off to Earth 2.  Either that or he loses his powers since getting them was sketchy in the first place.

I remember an interview with AK awhile back, before Wally got his powers, where they were asking him what was going to happen with Wally, and he said that the show wasn't going to become Flash and Friends.  So you may be right.  But even if they get rid of Wally and Jessie, both Cisco and Caitlin have powers now too.  So I don't know. *shrug*

ETA:  Here's the quote I was thinking of, from April 26, 2016.

Obviously, there’s a lot of excitement about where Wally West and Jesse Wells could go, as characters. Taking that into consideration, have you thought about how many speedsters is one too many?

KREISBERG: Right now, the show is called The Flash. For the most part, Barry Allen is the only Flash. Obviously, there are expectations for both of those characters. Whether or not they’re realized is part of the enjoyment and fun of watching the show. But, it will never be Spider-Man and his amazing friends. It will always be The Flash.

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)

So they're totally going to "kill" Iris off at the end of S3, right? Then Barry will do some reset to save her except oh no, the reset put Iris back in the Barry who? I don't have feelings for Barry stage.

Barry/Iris back to square one in S4, que angst and then by end of S4 they're back on track. Got to have at least one major breakup. No way the network/show allows for a happy together forever couple.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

I don't think Kreisburg knows how to write a relationship that isn't at a teenage level.  So either it stays there, or it ends, either through break-up (Barry/Patty) or death (Iris/Eddie).

18 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

So they're totally going to "kill" Iris off at the end of S3, right? Then Barry will do some reset to save her except oh no, the reset put Iris back in the Barry who? I don't have feelings for Barry stage.

Total reset for S4, que angst and then by end of S4 they're back on track. Got to have at least one major breakup. No way the network/show allows for a happy together forever couple.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Love 1
(edited)

Flash Relationships thread

4 hours ago, Cleanqueen said:

Be suspicious , they made him propose faster than Oliver did. And olicity was traveling the world together for 6 month while Iris and Barry have only been living together for 3 months

The show does move fast (heh) with relationships; but Barry's been in love with Iris since forever, and they've both been declaring their love since Season 2.

4 hours ago, LeighAn said:

I will cut a bitch (but not really) if Barry Allen gets married before Olicity ha. 

Sharpen your knives. . . for wedding cake!

3 hours ago, Cleanqueen said:

The Eddie/Iris proposal was ten times better ...

Eddie didn't even get a chance to propose.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
(edited)

Since Barry and Iris have been so happy, I've been expecting the show to do something to disrupt that. I look forward to seeing them get through it together.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Trini said:

Since Barry and Iris have been so happy, I've expecting the show to do something to disrupt that. I look forward to seeing them get through it together.

That's what Olicity shippers said in season 4. Good luck with that.

• Love 10
(edited)

In other news I'm catching up on season 2 of legends and seriously this show is way underrated. It's silly campy action drama you can't take seriously but the characters are all likeable, they have great chemistry together and the show manages the characters better in terms of equal story time compared to the other Flarrow shows. I like that they aren't as burdened by melodrama as the characters on the other shows and I think the adventure of the week concept is not only fun but also prevent the show from having to rely on melodrama as well.

I enjoy the Legion of Doom as villains.

Im up to the episode where they find Rip in the 70s and he's a film nerd. I love the fact that the actor played him like a completely different character. He had me cracking up laughing and that's something Arrow hasn't done for me in a long time (or ever).

Also I love Nate. I now I love him even more for the "Stay in school" line to George Lucas.

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 6

That was a pretty lame proposal imo tbh. Maybe it's because it won't be the one that sticks since Iris didn't look all that happy but Barry talked more about the history of ring than anything related to Iris or their relationship lol. I think it would have been better if they went with something more personal to them than a random story about his great grandfather. 

Maybe Flash writers learned from the mess Arrow made with breaking up olicity and they'll avoid that with westallen but I honestly doubt it. I mean not even Arrow writers managed to learn from their own mistakes and this is the CW. I'm expecting a stall of some kind next season, either a break up or Iris temporarily dies or something. It just seems way too fast to stick considering it's only season 3. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I can't comment on the quality of the proposal since the only Flash episode I've watched this season has been the crossover.  But I completely agree that making it happen this fast is a sign something is going to go wrong. I'm just not quite sure what.  I can't really see them killing Iris, at least not permanently.  But if she wasn't so clearly the endgame love interest I would say she was definitely marked for death.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

I thought the proposal was totally Barry right down to the long yammering on and on about the ring. 

Barry has no game but he's endearing so I wouldn't have expected anything different or smooth.

I wish I shipped them I really do. I'd be on cloud nine right now if I shipped them. Alas I just can't work out why they just don't thrill me. I get the childhood friendship/best friends thing. I totally ship FitzSimmons but WestAllen are just....meh.

Loved the gorillas and gorilla fight!

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I thought the proposal was totally Barry right down to the long yammering on and on about the ring. 

Barry has no game but he's endearing so I wouldn't have expected anything different or smooth.

I wish I shipped them I really do. I'd be on cloud nine right now if I shipped them. Alas I just can't work out why they just don't thrill me. I get the childhood friendship/best friends thing. I totally ship FitzSimmons but WestAllen are just....meh.

Loved the gorillas and gorilla fight!

Lack of passion. 

• Love 1
(edited)

If not the show, The CW and wB are gonna put the brakes on the relationship. Like they did with Arrow and Olicity. Especially since they probably see more longevity with the Flash. Its the rule of the CW to have one major break up. 

I do wonder if the Flashpoint comes in place at the end of the season again.  Since that is what Arrow EPs have been teasing at the beginning of the season. So i expect it will have to do with Eobard Thawne and the Spear of Destiny.  I still don't get how someone who doesn't exist ATM could kill Barry's mother. And with Black Zoom chasing him. 

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 3

In a recent interview with ComicBook, Supergirl executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said he thinks the mannerisms of Danvers and Obama are quite comparable.

"I think about Kara sometimes in terms of like, Barack Obama, where, he had to be the best version of himself all the time for a variety of reasons,” Kreisgberg reflected. “You've often read about that, he can never take the bait and he always had to be the most mature and the most reasonable and the most sensible and the most forgiving because that was what history and the world was asking of him.”

Being able to take the hits and keep moving forward has got to be one of the fundamental characteristics of a good superhero and President alike. According to Kreisberg, Danvers is just as good as anyone when it comes to getting back up and dusting herself off after being knocked down.

“I feel like that for Kara too, where because she's Supergirl she has to be the best and so opening herself up to a relationship whether it was trying to it with James or trying to do it with Mon-El,” said Kreisberg. “It takes a lot for her to sort of put herself out there and let somebody in because when you do that you're opening yourself up to a lot of messy stuff and I think she's kind of going into this with one foot out, you know.”

But at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter if you can lift an oil tanker with ease or run one of the world’s biggest military powers — without a strong support system in place, you might as well be just another civilian. Luckily for Danvers and National City, Kreisberg thinks Supergirl is on a championship team.

“Then finally in the Mxy episode kind of put both feet in, I think a lot of the conundrum for the two of them,” Kreisberg said. “A lot of it is on her part of like 'stupid me for doing that' which is why Alex is so interesting as a sounding board for Kara, because Alex did that and it paid off, there was that great scene between them and their team."

3 hours ago, LeighAn said:

In other news I'm catching up on season 2 of legends and seriously this show is way underrated. It's silly campy action drama you can't take seriously but the characters are all likeable, they have great chemistry together and the show manages the characters better in terms of equal story time compared to the other Flarrow shows. I like that they aren't as burdened by melodrama as the characters on the other shows and I think the adventure of the week concept is not only fun but also prevent the show from having to rely on melodrama as well.

I enjoy the Legion of Doom as villains.

Im up to the episode where they find Rip in the 70s and he's a film nerd. I love the fact that the actor played him like a completely different character. He had me cracking up laughing and that's something Arrow hasn't done for me in a long time (or ever).

Also I love Nate. I now I love him even more for the "Stay in school" line to George Lucas.

Funniest episode of the series I think.  :)

But even if they get rid of Wally and Jessie, both Cisco and Caitlin have powers now too.  So I don't know. 

Caitlin IMO will never be allowed to freely use her powers so she's not a threat and Cisco...sigh.  Cisco is so much the Marty Sue that I doubt the show runners even realize he's being made to be more powerful than Barry.  

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, jay741982 said:

I can't speak for others but I think Mon-el eating up.screen time from Alex, J'onn Jimmy and Winn might be a reason ratings are dropping a bit or him being almost constantly with Kara. I've seen other reasons why Supergirl has lost viewers 

All DCTV shows are losing viewers. Supergirl changed to a different network and has changed significantly (not only Mon-El). But I would say that its rates are usually better after adjustement and it is still (and will be) the second rated show after Flash.

I can't speak for others either, but I think that there is a mixed reception about Mon-El and his storyline and his relationship with Kara. I don't think that he is as loathed as some think. Some people hate HATE him, others love LOVE him and others have mixed feelings. I wouldn't be so sure about what the general viewer thinks, as social media will show preferences for the people that are passionate enough about the show to comment on that.

Many of the people who are against his character and storyline happen to prefer Kara to have a relationship with another character. They are extremely vocal and they are even more angry at the moment as it always happens when the shows goes in a direction that you hate (remember when Laurel Lance died and NoLaurelNoArrow was a thing). The Mon-El / Karamel supporters may be not so vocal expressing their feelings because they (we) are happy. 

But there is some signs showing that there is some love out there for Mon-El and his relationship with Kara. The Mon-El / Kara (Karamel) scenes in YouTube are consistently getting the highest number of views very quickly, much more than any other ships or scenes. On Monday the trend supporting Karamel / Mon-El trended worldwide for hours before and during the episode. The anti-trend that was organised at the same time did not.

We have some storyline ahead (Daxam) that may change many people's perception of Mon-El. My guess is that if he gets to be heroic and a good boyfriend he may get more and more support.

For the record, I also think that they overdid the fratboy / not listening / shallow traits in his personality (which Chris Wood has said in interviews that was intentional so they could show a character development arc) and that the time that Kara & him spend together is too much (a big part of this is that they decided to tie his storyline to Kara and she is the lead) and that they are pushing him too much. I suspect that the main reason for all this is PLOT because they want the Daxam storyline to have a major emotional impact on Kara and it couldn't happen if they weren't together and she wouldn't have reasons to have doubts about him when some secret comes out to light. Also I think that they want Kara to feel more isolated when this happens so they can get DRAMA.

I understand how annoying is when a new character is getting all the time and storylines, and the characters you love do not, and you hate it because you don't care about the newbies at all and miss your faves. I get it. I miss Olicity / OTA and I find most of the new characters in Arrow (notable mentions are Wild Dog, Suzie and Tinah) incredibly boring/ annoying. This is the reason why I only watch it when I literally have nothing else to do and it bores me to tears (and I used to LOVE it).

So I am lucky that I am loving most of the changes in Supergirl season 2. I love it much more than season 1 and a great part of this is because of Mon-El, aliens everywhere, Winn at the DEO, Sanvers and less James. I am also looking forward to the Daxam storyline. I would like to get more Danvers sisters, Space family trio and Cadmus but they are having difficulties balancing all these storylines (Alex is spending more time with Maggie and Jonn has spent a lot of time with M'gann).

Edited by emarasmoak
spelling, grammar
  • Love 2