Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

wow, former Superman and former Supergirl, that's hysterical. Although, casting Dean Cain in anything does not bode well for this show.

No it doesn't. He really can't act. He's worse than Brandon Routh, who only got the part because he looked like Christopher Reeve. Honestly, I think this Supergirl show will rival that failed Wonder Woman pilot for sheer awfulness.

• Love 1

No it doesn't. He really can't act. He's worse than Brandon Routh, who only got the part because he looked like Christopher Reeve. Honestly, I think this Supergirl show will rival that failed Wonder Woman pilot for sheer awfulness.

He did great I thought in his guest spot on Smallville a few years back.  Played menacing and creepy rather well but also brought a real honest and tragic emotion to the character.  While I never loved him as Superman, I adored him as Clark Kent.  Helped that he and Teri Hatcher had great chemistry.   He's one of those actors that really only works best when he plays someone closer to his actual personality. Then he shines. 

It sounds like he's only a guest star so chances are he's not getting a meaty enough part to stand out one way or the other. 

• Love 3
(edited)
David Harewood @DavidHarewood  ·  Feb 27

Here we go.#Supergirl

B-1gpN3UYAAuUX9.jpg

https://twitter.com/DavidHarewood

Harewood will co-star as DC Comics character Hank Henshaw. In the CBS take, the character is a onetime CIA agent who now runs the Department of Extra-Normal Operations (DEO), which tracks extraterrestrial threats on Earth. In the comics on which the potential series is based, Hank Henshaw is Cyborg Superman.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/supergirl-chyler-leigh-david-harewood-778058

Edited by tv echo

I doubt Cain or Slater have a major role. Its probably just the show paying homage to what came before. Smallville did it all the time. Annette O'Toole (Martha Kent) was Lana in the old movies, Cain and Slater guest-starred, and Christopher Reeves recurred.

The Flash is doing the same thing. The original Barry from the old show is playing Barry's father, and one character from that show showed up as the same character (a doctor).

• Love 3
(edited)

I doubt Cain or Slater have a major role. Its probably just the show paying homage to what came before. Smallville did it all the time. Annette O'Toole (Martha Kent) was Lana in the old movies, Cain and Slater guest-starred, and Christopher Reeves recurred.

The Flash is doing the same thing. The original Barry from the old show is playing Barry's father, and one character from that show showed up as the same character (a doctor).

Didn't Teri Hatcher play Lois's mother or something? And I think when she was Lois, her mother was played by Phyllis Coates, who played Lois in the 50s Superman series.

And yeah Helen Slater played Lara, Clark's Kryptonian mother. And Lynda Carter played Chloe's mother.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

Yeah, Teri Hatcher was Lois Lane's mother in an episode of Smallville. She appeared on videotape on the show, so she probably didn't even need to fly out to wherever they shot Smallville to film her part. Still really cool of Hatcher though considering she was on Desperate Housewives at the time. Loved Lynda Carter as Chloe's mom, too. I'd love to see almost anyone from Smallville on one of the CW's DC shows. Was nice seeing John Glover on Agent carter a few weeks ago!

Just spent a few hours playing Lego Batman 3. I was pleased to discover that Roy's Lego figure also does pointless parkour flips. Then, I unlocked OG Black Canary, who has the Canary Cry and is a powerful smasher, and teamed her up with Sara Black Canary, with the bo staff and less impressive smashing. I had some fun times. 

• Love 3

Just spent a few hours playing Lego Batman 3. I was pleased to discover that Roy's Lego figure also does pointless parkour flips. Then, I unlocked OG Black Canary, who has the Canary Cry and is a powerful smasher, and teamed her up with Sara Black Canary, with the bo staff and less impressive smashing. I had some fun times. 

OG Black Canary is awesome in Lego Batman 3. And her Canary Cry is super useful!

• Love 1
(edited)

Enjoyed all the old-time cameos on Smallville (Teri Hatcher's made me blub like a loon since I was watching it having recently lost my own mother) so I hope they're as well-done here.

Edited by pootlus

Didn't Teri Hatcher play Lois's mother or something? And I think when she was Lois, her mother was played by Phyllis Coates, who played Lois in the 50s Superman series.

And yeah Helen Slater played Lara, Clark's Kryptonian mother. And Lynda Carter played Chloe's mother.

Yes in season one of Lois & Clark Phyllis Coates played Lois's mother, though in later seasons her mother was played by Beverly Garland which was trippy for me since she played the mother of two other all time favorite characters of mine.  When I was a kid I was obsessive about Remington Steele and Scarecrow and Mrs. King (yes, the glorious eighties hair is hard to get past).  BG was both Laura Holt's mother and then Amanda King's, so for her to pop up years later as the mother of my next tv obsession kind of messed with my head.  (I think I once tried to rectify the weird with a convoluted theory about triplets separated at birth.  It's a pity I didn't delve into fan fiction earlier.  I could have had a hell of a crossover.) 

• Love 1

Probably more like Caitlyn Snow (tech savvy AND a comic book villain). Although he's just a guest star (he was supposed to be a regular in the original casting call), so maybe the EPs didn't like the character enough for some reason.

I only remembered her from Mad Men as Roger's ex-wife.

A role I thought she was great in...through her entire evolution. 

So - he's like the male Felicity?

You might say that if Felicity was the first of her "kind"...she's not.

Alyson Hannigan played the babbling nerd way better for instance.

• Love 1
(edited)

You might say that if Felicity was the first of her "kind"...she's not.

Alyson Hannigan played the babbling nerd way better for instance.

I think the comparison being made is the techie hero sidekick with potential to become a love interest. Willow was one, but not the other. Chloe Sullivan is a better example, if we're being nit picky about who is the "first" of that character trope. Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1
(edited)

I find the sloppy reporting (see quote below) kinda hilarious, given the wishful thinking of some of us here...

10 Upcoming Comic Book TV Shows You Need To Know About

Tom Baker   10 hours ago

http://whatculture.com/tv/10-upcoming-comic-book-tv-shows-you-need-to-know-about.php

3. The Arrow/Flash Spin-Off

Now plans have been revealed to give Routh’s Ray Palmer his own show too, possibly teaming him with Arrow’s vigilante foil/love interest Black Canary (played by Katie Cassidy) and Firestorm, the nuclear-powered hero who got an origin story in The Flash.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

I really don't want them to hook up any of the Avengers. I'm okay with Natasha and Clint doing the Are they or Are they Not Flirting? But I wish they would skip any romance or hook ups. 

They need another female character. As awesome as Natasha is, she can't be the love interest for three different guys. At least not when they're all in the same movie.

I'm kind of fond of the Steve/Maria Hill fanfic myself.

10 Upcoming Comic Book TV Shows You Need To Know About

Tom Baker   10 hours ago

http://whatculture.com/tv/10-upcoming-comic-book-tv-shows-you-need-to-know-about.php

That's a hilarious read of all 10 shows.

Fingers crossed Laurel joins him.

(edited)

I think this was Scarlet's suggestion to wear it. Hey, maybe she ships Clintasha. 

Anyway, I'm not sure this scene means what you all think it means. It's probably taken out of context. This movie is going to be overstuffed as it is (have you seen the number of characters?!), so there would be simply no space for any romance, esp. between characters without much history and on-screen interaction. I mean, I could probably imagine MCU teasing Clint/Natasha or Steve/Natasha, or, hell, Bucky/Natasha because of comics, at some point, but not these two.

Edited by FurryFury

I assumed it meant something with him. I kind of just like them as very close friends/comrades, but I would be open to something more romantic too. I would be ok with Bruce and Natasha I think, but I don't think romance will be a huge focus in general. It seems like they have enough on their plates without worrying about dating.   

(edited)

Ugh... Sharon Carter.  Emily VanCamp's Agent 13 was so bland compared to the other female characters like Peggy Carter, Natasha or even Maria Hill.  For Steve Rogers to go from Peggy to Sharon will be a downgrade.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I only remembered her from Mad Men as Roger's ex-wife.

does Kara have adoptive parents? maybe they'll play them?

They were referred to as foster parents in the character descriptions (or at least Alex is referred to as her foster sister).  If I had to guess, I would say that Helen Slater will be her foster mother, and Dean Cain will be Zor-El, her Kryptonian father. 

The casting sides I've seen include both Zor-El and Alura (to be played by Laura Benanti in a continuing role) in the "we're going to put you into this rocket before our planet explodes" scene, and her Earth foster mother in another, but I haven't seen Mr. Danvers anywhere.

Anything regarding Jeremy Jordan and Wynn Schott I will save for the Supergirl forum.  Filming started yesterday, join us there!

(edited)

I think I'll wait to see what context that kiss is in. Because when they showed pictures of Steve and Natasha making out in Winter Solider people freaked and it was just ruse to hide from Hydra agents. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

Banner is generally portrayed as lonely. So it's possible Scarlet Witch or even Ultron somehow mess with his mind, distracting or confusing him, by putting in an image of him and Natasha just to have her get him angry enough to Hulk out and go after his own team.

If Natasha is getting it on with Bruce, then she's got somewhat tragic taste in men. Renner and Ruffalo? Really? She can do so much better.

Anyway, I'd much rather that Natasha's story not be about which guy she is or isn't sleeping with. I'd hate for her to be reduced to that, when she's been an awesome, strong character in all the movies she's appeared in so far. Leave the romance out of The Avengers (unless they go with the Ultimates and put some squicky Pietro/Wanda romance in there, for shits and giggles).

If Natasha is getting it on with Bruce, then she's got somewhat tragic taste in men. Renner and Ruffalo? Really? She can do so much better.

But Ruffalo can ride a unicycle like a boss :(

• Love 2

Is it bad that I was really digging the Natasha/Steve thing going on in The Winter Soldier? I mean, I don't really need them to be together, but then again, I'd much rather Natasha  be with him than Banner or Barton. IDK I was never really into Clintasha... 

And I think it'd be weird for Steve to be with Sharon considering she's related to Peggy. Plus Sharon seemed boring and I don't want that for Steve (considering he's pretty boring himself when he's not out in the field). 

• Love 3

I have to agree about not feeling Emily VanCamp as Agent 13. Granted, she didn't have much to do at all but I just didn't feel like she was playing her any differently than Emily Thorne. And not to mention Peggy Carter is a tough act to follow.

I'm curious about how Natasha and Banner is going to come about because they never did much with Natasha/Clint. Granted those are two characters that are still severely underdeveloped in the MCU. And what about Natasha/Bucky?

There is a shot of Scarlet Witch doing something brain-wavy to Natasha, so I'm leaning toward some mind control fakeout situation. Maybe to cause conflict within the team? Or to screw with Natasha in general in some way?

I love Natasha, and I think all the Avengers have interesting dynamics, but Natasha/Bruce is WAY down on the list of pairings I'd like to see.

• Love 1

This is an interesting article...

A Penny For Your Thoughts On Why Misogyny Is Just Bad For Business; Marvel & DC Comics, I’m Looking At You!

by Penny Sautereau on March 5, 2015

http://insidepulse.com/2015/03/05/a-penny-for-your-thoughts-on-why-misogyny-is-just-bad-for-business-marvel-dc-comics-im-looking-at-you/

Great article, but now I'm seriously pissed off.  They cancelled Young Justice - a show that was doing great in the ratings and had well developed characters and complex storylines in addition to tons of action stuff - because Network big wigs decided too many girls were watching it!!!!!    Anyone remember Tower Prep?  It got cancelled for the exact same reason. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Eh. It's fine. Not great, just fine. 

I'm not a fan of the dark, muted colors for heroes like Superman and Supergirl. I think the colors for them should be brighter, more inspiring. After all, these characters are supposed to inspire hope.

I just hope they remember to let the character of Supergirl actually smile and have fun. Unlike the dark and dour Superman we got in Man of Steel. DC's obsession with darkness gets old very quickly. 

Edited by Lord Kira
  • Love 5

Yeah, I'm sorry, but the actress does not look like Supergirl to me at all. I was excited for this show when I first heard about it, but everything that has come out since then has been disappointing. I'll probably give this show a pass.

• Love 1