Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

As one of the most determined naysayers about this crossover, I have to say this looks like massive amounts of fun. I thought I'd wait for next weekend to watch the entire thing. Looks like I'll be watching the episodes as they air now.

2 hours ago, tarotx said:

So is Sara and Oliver fighting each other in the new trailer? 

It could be. There is a shot of Dig in the suit fighting Oliver in the bunker. I'm guessing that's the unusual OTA scene. Would be fun if Felicity also showed up in a GA suit, to have all three of them suited up.

• Love 3

If Diggle is in the Green Arrow suit do you think maybe he and Alt World Felicity are vigilanting in Olivers absences since Oliver is all going to the chapel gonna get married to Laurel?

BTW haven't watched the trailer yet so I apologise if I misinterpreted 

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LeighAn said:

If Diggle is in the Green Arrow suit do you think maybe he and Alt World Felicity are vigilanting in Olivers absences since Oliver is all going to the chapel gonna get married to Laurel?

Something like that. It's definitely Dig in the suit tossing Oliver in the leather jacket he's wearing in the dreamworld to the bunker floor. It's at 1:44. It goes by fast, so I can't take a clear screenshot. I think they begin to feel the pull to the bunker or something like that.

There's really a whole lot I like about the trailer. In order of appearance:

• Lyla being in the crossover
  • The race having been a threat for a while, which makes for a good way to involve the legends
  • Supergirl and Heatwave, unexpected but really fun
  • Rory with Felicity, Curtis and Cisco
  • Felicity's little mouth vomit before "storming the castle"
  • Kara and Barry's dorky high five

Who's that saying, That is not the name of a species that comes in peace? The voice isn't familiar to me. Is it Wally?

At first I thought the heroes were having some kind of a conference and wondered about the wisdom of creating panic, but I realized on the second viewing that they've actually gathered what looks to be military to help out.

• Love 3

She is, but there is supposed to be an "unusual" OTA scene in the bunker. She was lying to Ray about her vigilanteing in S3, no reason for her not to do so in the dreamworld. Or my preferred scenario - Felicity isn't actually a permanent part of the dreamworld. It's the embodiement of real world Felicity popping up in bursts to draw everybody out. So she approaches Ray at the party and pops up in the bunker with Oliver and Dig.

That new "Heroes v. Aliens" promo video does look good and makes me want to watch the mega crossover live - it also provided two unintentional laughs for me...

-- Thought: "Exterminate! Exterminate!" (Doctor Who reference)

-- Again with the "V" formation?

CyAO48qWgAAELY0.jpg

S030A-N09-ARW-110-23.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I love how the powerless heroes are the ones that get captured judging by the trailer LOL! Kinda unfair, i hope they can atleast break out on their own! Specially since GA is the most experienced one. I don't like that he might show Supergirl he's kinda worthless compared to her. Kickass trailer though!

Also, shouldn't Sara and Jackson be wearing a mask while standing on that stage infront of an audience near the end of the trailer? Everyone can just see who they are :S

We also see Diggle in GA costume taking down Oliver in the bunker... Weird :S

Edited by DeadZeus
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, way2interested said:

New 2-minute trailer for the crossover:

Found one thing I don't like and this is just a personal thing. I'm not fond of the heroes getting recognized and rewarded for their actions. It probably comes from decades (on and off) of reading X-Men comics where they routinely saved the Earth and still hated. I didn't like it when they did it in The Flash in S2 Premiere and I'll probably not like it here. 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, DeadZeus said:

I love how the powerless heroes are the ones that get captured judging by the trailer LOL! Kinda unfair, i hope they can atleast break out on their own! Specially since GA is the most experienced one. I don't like that he might show Supergirl he's kinda worthless compared to her. Kickass trailer though!

It seems to me that they are the ones that go willingly. You can see the five of them sitting down into some chairs apparently on their own accord. So I imagine they try to execute a plan which goes haywire. It's not that they are weak and that's why they got caught, it's that they're the ones who were in the situation where they could get caught.

11 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Found one thing I don't like and this is just a personal thing. I'm not fond of the heroes getting recognized and rewarded for their actions. It probably comes from decades (on and off) of reading X-Men comics where they routinely saved the Earth and still hated. I didn't like it when they did it in The Flash in S2 Premiere and I'll probably not like it here. 

Do you think they get wide recognition? All I imagine is them giving a speech to military types to get help. I suppose this happens through Lyla and is confidential.

14 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Do you think they get wide recognition? All I imagine is them giving a speech to military types to get help. I suppose this happens through Lyla and is confidential.

There's what looks like it could be the Arrowverse's version of a presidential seal on the podium, and some people in military dress and some in civvies in the audience. So it seems like recognition to me, instead of a call for help.

xHSV38D.png

Sorry that's so huge, yikes!

Edited by apinknightmare
12 hours ago, tv echo said:

That new "Heroes v. Aliens" promo video does look good and makes me want to watch the mega crossover live - it also provided two unintentional laughs for me...

-- Thought: "Exterminate! Exterminate!" (Doctor Who reference)

-- Again with the "V" formation?

CyAO48qWgAAELY0.jpg

S030A-N09-ARW-110-23.jpg

I'm specifically looking at the top picture.  The Flash isn't too far from the front but it's kind of hilarious that the dudes with the least powers are leading the charge rather than sending in first the super powered flying people.  

• Love 2
15 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'm specifically looking at the top picture.  The Flash isn't too far from the front but it's kind of hilarious that the dudes with the least powers are leading the charge rather than sending in first the super powered flying people.  

Now you know why they keep having these supervillain problems year after year -- no sense of battle tactics.

• Love 7

I forget is it the crossover ep of Flash that's suppose to be the musical episode? 

Disclaimer: I may have only remembered Flash was suppose to having a musical episode after watching a certain revival on Netflix

7 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I forget is it the crossover ep of Flash that's suppose to be the musical episode? 

Disclaimer: I may have only remembered Flash was suppose to having a musical episode after watching a certain revival on Netflix

No it's a different episode. It's weird that we haven't heard anything about it yet. I think it's supposed to be in episode 15.

Arrow-verse Crossover Scoop: Future Barry's Message, 'Intimidated' Sara, a 'Really Wonderful' Coda and More

“It’s not twice as large, it’s like 32 times [bigger],” Arrow star Stephen Amell says of the four-way event, which required some scheduling heroics. “Our first A.D., Ken Shane, handed me this big piece of paper that was just five straight weeks of where I was going each day,” Amell recalls. “It was hard work. I didn’t have a day off, but there was a spirit of teamwork this year that made it palatable.”

This year? What are you saying Steve?

• Love 2

I don't know if it even meant anything. It's just saying "this year" almost sounds like an implication that there wasn't a spirit of teamwork last year.  I don't know why that would have been or even if that's what he's saying.  I just thought it was interesting.

• Love 2

Didn't they get really behind schedule last year because of the crossover? Maybe something going awry with production is what he is referring to. Also, having more people in the crossover cast may have also meant the burden of filming time was more evenly distributed this year, instead of just GG and and SA having to carry most of the work load.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I was reading the comments and Matt Mitovitch mentioned that the scene where Barry and Cisco go and fetch Supergirl gets repeated in the Flash episode.  All of it?  Some of it?  I don't know but that makes sense since from the previews it seemed that Barry first calls up Oliver for help with the aliens before thinking about going and getting an alien of his own.  

Stephen has mentioned that last year LOT was unofficially part of the crossover but they had scheduled their pilot months before the crossover was developed. So it was a lot of work getting everything filmed since schedules were over lapping.

3 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I was reading the comments and Matt Mitovitch mentioned that the scene where Barry and Cisco go and fetch Supergirl gets repeated in the Flash episode.  All of it?  Some of it?  I don't know but that makes sense since from the previews it seemed that Barry first calls up Oliver for help with the aliens before thinking about going and getting an alien of his own.  

There's a sneak peak out of a breach being almost opened up over Thanksgiving dinner at Kara's, so it seems they have trouble getting to her at least at first. Maybe they try her, then Oliver and then go back for Supergirl?

• Love 1

At Thanksgiving, I found out my middle aged uncle in his 50s loves Supergirl. Hates the Flash and was meh on Arrow. But I definitely was surprised to find out how much he loved SG because he is so not their demographic.

• Love 1

He said he liked the storylines and the characters. It's uplifting and feels real to him. Glad someone saving the day who also struggles with day to day life. He was glad they dropped jimmy/kara love affair. Not to keen on her sister s coming out. He just wants the show to not get too political or "PC". but he'll roll with it, just hope it doesn't negatively impact the show.

I also think there is an element of fantasy that appeals to him. The problems are relatable but ultimately it is also overdramatic hero good vs bad. Its simple without being dumb he said. So far she has saved people with no agenda. selfless.  Also used the word heartwarming.   

That's really interesting.  Now I want to hear his reasons for hating The Flash (and of course any comments on Arrow).  

I'm pretty sure they won't be a surprise, but I find the viewpoints of the non obsessive fan interesting (anyone posting on line about it has to be IMO a LITTLE obsessive, lol) since I assume that they are seeing what is most obviously coming across in contrast to someone like me that goes over everything with a fine tooth comb making it hard to know what a more basic viewing experience would be like.  

I wonder how much of what I'm seeing comes across to the more casual viewers.  Am I seeing cracks because I'm looking so hard or are these things obvious?  That's what makes me so curious.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

So I'm guessing that the world will now know that Sara Lance is alive and fighting as White Canary? It was never clear on Arrow whether or not Star City believed/believes Sara was/is dead.

Also, I haven't been keeping up on Supergirl. Does everyone now know that Kara is Supergirl, or is it still a big secret and no one recognizes her as Supergirl?

Edited by tv echo

I finally got a hold of the Entertainment Weekly "Super Friends"  Nov. 18, 2016 issue (with GG, SA and MB on the cover) and read the article by Jeff Jensen inside. I found this part of the article especially interesting and copied it for your reading enjoyment (from pages 25-26 of said issue):

THEY AREN'T AFRAID OF SOAP OPERA
The Arrowverse is steeped in genuine relationship drama, something that distinguished all of Berlanti's work since his days as a writer on Dawson's Creek. But this, too, is very comic-compatible. While other Hollywood geeks take the antihero masterpieces of Alan Moore (Watchmen) and Frank Miller (Sin City) as influences, Guggenheim and Kreisberg pull from sources before the medium's adult-skewing age: the team comics of the early '80's - Fantastic Four, The Uncanny X-Men, and The New Teen Titans - tales of makeshift families fraught with dysfunction and romance. "Those were my soaps," says Kreisberg, adding he still tears up recalling Teen Titans #50, when Dick Grayson confronts Bruce Wayne at Donna Troy's wedding about why he never adopted him back in the Batman and Robin days.

The emphasis on team dynamics - an idea inspired by Buffy the Vampire Slayer, says Berlanti - does more than generate sudsy feels. It leads to a nuanced, humane kind of superhero fantasy that subverts the queasiest aspect, the all-about me wish fulfillment. The current season of The Flash began with Barry abusing his speed to change his tragic history, only to create a timeline that leads to loss for his friends and disenfranchised countless others. How does he respond? How does his community respond? This kind of story - a timely, woke allegory about power, privilege, guilt, atonement, and reconciliation - illuminates the third rail that charges Berlanti's shows.

Edited by tv echo
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

Also, I haven't been keeping up on Supergirl. Does everyone now know that Kara is Supergirl, or is it still a big secret and no one recognizes her as Supergirl?

Mostly it's a secret to the general public and to her bosses at her day job.  I think it's an open secret among those she works with at the DEO (think covert government alien fighting agency where she and her friends openly talk about EVERYTHING a foot away from the redshirts) and Kara has always been more open to sharing her secret with friends.

This year it's unclear how much of a secret her identity is among the aliens living in National City.  There's a bar where the aliens go to be themselves (which the DEO somehow never noticed in the first season) and Kara in her civilian street clothes has hung out there which of its self wouldn't matter since humans in the know hang there too, but a random alien patron sent over drinks that would be poison to humans but just a cocktail to Kryptonians and would have seen her drink it (not to mention the waitress and the whole bar) so how everyone doesn't already know, I don't know.  ;)

FYI, Supergirl drunk is hilarious.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

I don't watch Supergirl (though I did see the first few episodes) and this year's Arrow is still sitting on my dvr unwatched. I am up to date on Flash and LoT.  Anything important I need to know? (I had planned on binge watching Arrow this weekend but then life happened...)

18 minutes ago, tessaray said:

I don't watch Supergirl (though I did see the first few episodes) and this year's Arrow is still sitting on my dvr unwatched. I am up to date on Flash and LoT.  Anything important I need to know? (I had planned on binge watching Arrow this weekend but then life happened...)

With Supergirl, I think all you need to know is that:

• Supergirl's world is in a different universe.
  • The Flash accidentally travelled to Supergirl's universe last season, so Barry and Kara know each other.
  • He helped her defeat some villainesses, she helped him get back to his own universe.
  • They both like donuts.
  • There's nothing romantic going on between them.
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, tessaray said:

On Arrow's side, all you need to know is there are a bunch of new vigilantes in training on Team Arrow, one of them is not all that they seem but I doubt that will be important in the crossover (and if it is, I'm sure it will be obvious), Diggle is in hiding for reasons (but of course suits up).  I'm guessing you know that Olicity are not together currently and that the big bad is called Prometheus.  (Who won't be unmasked until the episode after this week's)  Oh and Barry's stupid time travel erased Baby Sara.  :(  

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

On Arrow's side, all you need to know is there are a bunch of new vigilantes in training on Team Arrow, one of them is not all that they seem but I doubt that will be important in the crossover (and if it is, I'm sure it will be obvious), Diggle is in hiding for reasons (but of course suits up).  I'm guessing you know that Olicity are not together currently and that the big bad is called Prometheus.  (Who won't be unmasked until the episode after this week's)  Oh and Barry's stupid time travel erased Baby Sara.  :(  

Thanks. I knew about Olicity and that there were new vigilantes - oh and Baby Sara thanks to the Flash forums. Sounds like just reading the episode descriptions has been enough.  Well, except for Prometheus and hopefully the crossover will keep them busy without him (her?).  Maybe I can catch up with Arrow over the next break. 

MARC GUGGENHEIM PICKS HIS IDEAL ARROW-VERSE SPINOFF
POSTED BY SYDNEY BUCKSBAUM ON NOVEMBER 27, 2016
http://nerdist.com/marc-guggenheim-picks-his-ideal-arrow-verse-spinoff/

It’s clear that the network knows that it has a gold mine when it comes to executive producer Greg Berlanti’s “Arrow-verse” of characters and shows, so it’s not hard to imagine yet another spinoff series getting green lit. But which character from Arrow, The Flash or Legends of Tomorrow should get their own spinoff show next? When Nerdist asked executive producer Marc Guggenheim at the red carpet celebration for Arrow‘s 100th episode in Vancouver, he revealed that this was something he’d already been thinking about.

“It’s funny, I was actually talking with Dominic Purcell last night about Rory getting his own show, Mick Rory,” Guggenheim told Nerdist. “The more we talked about it, the more I started thinking about it. It would be so crazy and I’m always drawn to the crazy.”
While Guggenheim and the rest of the Legends of Tomorrow producers “always loved the dynamic between Snart and Rory,” the idea of exploring who Rory is without Snart as his leader/partner creatively excited them.

“One of the things that we’re really trying for in Legends season two is there’s something really fun about seeing Rory have to develop his own identity apart from his partner,” Guggenheim said. “That’s opened up a lot of story opportunity for us that we wouldn’t have otherwise had. It’s exciting to think about. We’re exploring that much more now. It’s pretty fun.”
The fact that Guggenheim is even able to think about spinning off a fourth show from one he helped create five years ago is a rare privilege in the TV industry, and he knows it.

“Not a lot of shows make it to episode 22!” Guggenheim said while discussing Arrow making it to 100 episodes. “You know, it’s really the fans. We are very, very blessed. We have the most passionate fanbase. There’s always a lot of controversy surrounding the show because everyone is so passionate.”

Guggenheim is proud to inspire such passion in Arrow viewers, regardless of whether that passion is positive or negative. “I remember during the directing of the pilot, David Nutter, in an incredibly prescient statement, almost predicting what the Twitterverse’s responses to Arrow over the years, said, ‘You know, the opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s apathy,'” he said. “We are incredibly blessed to have the most passionate fans out there. The people who tweet about Arrow and Reddit and Snapchat and all the different ways that people express their frustrations with Arrow and their love for Arrow, they are the ones who have kept us afloat.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Guggenheim is proud to inspire such passion in Arrow viewers, regardless of whether that passion is positive or negative. “I remember during the directing of the pilot, David Nutter, in an incredibly prescient statement, almost predicting what the Twitterverse’s responses to Arrow over the years, said, ‘You know, the opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s apathy,'” he said. “We are incredibly blessed to have the most passionate fans out there. The people who tweet about Arrow and Reddit and Snapchat and all the different ways that people express their frustrations with Arrow and their love for Arrow, they are the ones who have kept us afloat.”

Oh Guggie. Eventually hate turns into disinterest and apathy. So how does one measure viewer apathy these days? Do folks take to Twitter or Tumblr or FB just to say they don't care anymore? I doubt it. They just stop discussing things. I suspect ratings will go up because of the crossover and curiosity about the 100th, but after that if things continue to be all about the Boobs, and not!OTA and love uninterests, apathy will become the order of the day. YMMV JMHO etc. 

• Love 4