Type keyword(s) to search

Here And Now - General Discussion

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little more interested in this again. I still think Ashley should leave the douchebag. This is the thing that really bothers me about tonight's episode: We've been told that Layla is Palestinian, right? Palestinians speak Arabic. So why is she translating Farid's mother to him? Farid's mother speaks Farsi. It's not the same thing. It's really insulting and I can't believe that Macdissi would go along with something like this, being an executive producer and Lebanese himself. Arabic and Persian are two different cultures.  /end rant

• Love 1

Ramon goes missing after a disturbing family incident. Audrey clashes with Steve during and after a morning talk show. Ashley and Malcolm weigh the pros and cons of a corporate future. Farid’s guilt drives him to extremes, damaging his family ties. Greg gets enlightenment during a visit with Audrey’s brother Ike. A cataclysmic event shakes the family to its core.

5 hours ago, The Solution said:

I'm a little more interested in this again. I still think Ashley should leave the douchebag. This is the thing that really bothers me about tonight's episode: We've been told that Layla is Palestinian, right? Palestinians speak Arabic. So why is she translating Farid's mother to him? Farid's mother speaks Farsi. It's not the same thing. It's really insulting and I can't believe that Macdissi would go along with something like this, being an executive producer and Lebanese himself. Arabic and Persian are two different cultures.  /end rant

The Farsi thing bugged me too.  Farid should have been translating it to Layla, not the other way around.

actually, this episode was much more cohesive and interesting than the previous two.

um...if I understood this correctly, Ramon threw Hailey out of the tree house, while there was no actual fire?  If so - ouch!!! 

I did not see this coming at all, and I can’t even process how awful this is going to be for the entire family....

• Love 1

Ugh, Greg needs to STFU. He "couldn't control himself" when he looked up Steve's work address, got directions to the office, drove there, and then charged into Steve's office? Just like he couldn't control himself when he was having sex with a hooker, right? Whatever, Greg.

And somehow he thinks that he's justified in confronting the man who his wife slept with ONCE but just last week he called her self righteous for making a comment about the fact that he fucked a prostitute three times a month for several months? He is such a fucking hypocrite. He cheated on her multiple times over a prolonged period of time and he makes it seem like she's overreacting, but she sleeps with someone ONCE and he thinks it's okay to go to Steve's place of business and act like a dog peeing on his territory? FFS. Can you imagine what he would have said if Audrey had gone to the prostitute's place of business and read her the riot act?

The most I liked him was when he interrogated the case worker who helped them adopt Ramon. I can't believe she had the nerve to blame THEM because they didn't adopt a white baby. I totally laughed when she threatened to call the police and Greg said to go ahead and do that because they would probably be very interested in what was going on.

The scene of Ashley, Duc, and Ramon having coffee was one of my favorites in the entire season. That was when we were really able to see that they are siblings - being supportive, teasing each other, giving each other shit, and above all loving each other.

Similarly, the reason that I enjoyed Kristen's alternamitzvah was because despite all the different problems we've seen them have throughout the season, it was obvious that they are a family and that they all love each other. Audrey looked so proud and happy.

I was really hoping that Kristen would whip out her phone and get the license place of the car as it drove away.

I'm glad she finally realized that trying on different identities is different from the identities that Ashley, Duc, Ramon, and Navid can never take off.

Although they alluded to Ashley's husband's job, did they ever come out and say what it was? Is his bike riding a professional thing?

• Love 3

It is really annoying to me that Kristen talked Navid into parading around the school in Muslim garb while wearing makeup. All she needs to do is take off the scarf, but for Navid he can't remove who he is as easily and he was the one who suffered; will suffer for this. For her it was a lark for him it could be fatal. White privilege indeed!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Although they alluded to Ashley's husband's job, did they ever come out and say what it was? Is his bike riding a professional thing?

Malcolm is some kind of assistant coach--I believe for girls' soccer? 

I really liked Kristen in this episode. She's matured immensely over the course of just nine episodes and I was impressed at the way she fought back during the ambush. That girl decked her assaulters a number of times, and I'm sure several of them will be sporting heavy bruises thanks to her scrappiness.

The altermitzah was very sweet, as was the exchange between the Bayer-Boatwright siblings after Duc's book excerpt reading. 

I feel like the storylines are finally coming together in some appreciable way since there has been a lot more interaction with the main cast, but perhaps its too little too late. I feel like many viewers have checked out already.

Ramon's delusions and hallucinations are now causing harm to others, including his own niece Hailey. I especially feel terrible for Ashley, being caught dead center in that conflict after Ramon flung her daughter out of the tree house. The fallout from all this will not be pretty.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Rahul said:

the exchange between the Bayer-Boatwright siblings after Duc's book excerpt reading. 

My favorite part was when Ramon whooped and then leaned forward and told the girl sitting in front of him, "That's my brother!" and she just said, "Great."

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Rahul said:

Ramon's delusions and hallucinations are now causing harm to others, including his own niece Hailey. I especially feel terrible for Ashley, being caught dead center in that conflict after Ramon flung her daughter out of the tree house. The fallout from all this will not be pretty.

I thought that was really happening. The fire and all. I assumed those little Nazis did it. What did I miss?

Ramon hallucinated the fire. He then threw Hailey from the treehouse in the last couple of shots. One is a reflection if the treehouse in the window that Ashley's looking out, and the next shot showed the whole treehouse and steps not on fire. There's a quick cut between the two shots, showing Hailey's full descent.

Ramon also maybe hallucinated a burning man in his game.

Random note, but when Greg was staring at his broccoli during his pasta dinner, he looked JUST LIKE Kristen.  

What was the point of Navid and Kristen's attackers to put on masks when their blonde hair was hanging out and they made no effort to hide their car?

Cannot wait for this show to be over next week.

On 4/8/2018 at 7:43 PM, The Solution said:

This is the thing that really bothers me about tonight's episode: We've been told that Layla is Palestinian, right? Palestinians speak Arabic. So why is she translating Farid's mother to him? Farid's mother speaks Farsi. It's not the same thing. It's really insulting and I can't believe that Macdissi would go along with something like this, being an executive producer and Lebanese himself. Arabic and Persian are two different cultures.  /end rant

18 hours ago, Rozali14 said:

The Farsi thing bugged me too.  Farid should have been translating it to Layla, not the other way around.

When Kristen & Navid first met, he introduced her to his mother Lalya saying, "She's an ACLU lawyer; she speaks like 5 languages."  And as far as Farid not speaking Farsi, perhaps it's two-fold in that he was very young & may have forgotten much of the language, coupled with his contempt for the religion, culture, & hence language...

Edited by IslandGirl
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Ramon hallucinated the fire. He then threw Hailey from the treehouse in the last couple of shots. One is a reflection if the treehouse in the window that Ashley's looking out, and the next shot showed the whole treehouse and steps not on fire. There's a quick cut between the two shots, showing Hailey's full descent.

Ramon also maybe hallucinated a burning man in his game.

While Ramon does appear to hallucinate the fire in the treehouse per the finale preview, I don't think he hallucinated the burning man in his game because when he had his coworker come to his apartment (the cute girl with the short hair, I think her name was Dex) he asked her if she saw it & I believe she said she did see it...

12 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

It is really annoying to me that Kristen talked Navid into parading around the school in Muslim garb while wearing makeup. All she needs to do is take off the scarf, but for Navid he can't remove who he is as easily and he was the one who suffered; will suffer for this. For her it was a lark for him it could be fatal. White privilege indeed!

Wait, when did Kristen talk Navid into parading around school in Muslim garb wearing makeup? I've watched every episode, but don't ever recall that...  

People joke about rich people or first world problems but for all the money they have, these characters are not at peace.

They may have moments like the reading at the book store and afterwards but if they're not bickering with each other, some of them are harboring secrets from each other.

Then there's malevolence all around them, hate crimes, angry retirees.

Of course the featured characters themselves can lash out at people, as Farid and Duc have done.

This is not the quirky, hipster, cool Portland that everyone talks about.

• Love 1

Someone wants to pay Ashley $5 million dollars for her business but she is torn so OH POOR YOU.

Duc is now a published author and has a successful practice so OH POOR YOU.

Ramon just got a job offer at a prestigious tech company that likes his game so OH POOR YOU.

Audrey just found out her boss wasn't being entirely altruistic in financing her pretentious do-nothing foundation so OH POOR YOU.

Honestly . . . what exactly is this show about?? Over-privileged liberal elites who still can't find happiness because . . . reasons? And I care because . . .  ?

That last scene was poorly staged. When Ramon asked Hailey if she smelled the smoke she said yes. So I did not assume he was hallucinating the fire - I assumed the same kids who beat up Navid set it. Only the previews for the next episode told me the fire wasn't real. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

That last scene was poorly staged. When Ramon asked Hailey if she smelled the smoke she said yes. So I did not assume he was hallucinating the fire - I assumed the same kids who beat up Navid set it. Only the previews for the next episode told me the fire wasn't real. 

That was a deliberate mislead. At first I likewise assumed it Madison and her crew of racist, homophobic intolerants behind the fire because Hailey indicated that she also smelled smoke. However, in retrospect I suppose Hailey just answered "yes" absentmindedly or because she was playing pretend with her Uncle Ramon.

The quick shot of Ashley's horrified face as her daughter was dropping several stories from the treehouse to the ground below with no conflagration in sight in the reflection was supposed to indicate that Ramon had been hallucinating.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Rahul said:

That was a deliberate mislead. At first I likewise assumed it Madison and her crew of racist, homophobic intolerants behind the fire because Hailey indicated that she also smelled smoke. However, in retrospect I suppose Hailey just answered "yes" absentmindedly or because she was playing pretend with her Uncle Ramon.

The quick shot of Ashley's horrified face as her daughter was dropping several stories from the treehouse to the ground below with no conflagration in sight in the reflection was supposed to indicate that Ramon had been hallucinating.

I thought maybe Hailey smelled smoke because of the burnet mini quiches. 

But I agree-it was deliberately misleading.  

Poor Ramon - hurting his 4yo niece is one of the worst things that could happen to him...

Also, if Malcolm called the police, Ramon could be in serious trouble.

• Love 1

But the view of the treehouse from the kitchen window was partially obscured - you could not see the base of the tree, there were too many other trees in the foreground. I mean, I was confused because I couldn't see any fire either but didn't know if that's because it was hidden behind the trees or just a hallucination. If I wasn't supposed to know one way or another until next week, they accomplished what they wanted. If I was, they didn't. 

I love the music in this series; Beck's "Heart is a Drum" playing in the scene where Kristen & Navid were kissing in his bedroom was absolutely fantastic!

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But the view of the treehouse from the kitchen window was partially obscured - you could not see the base of the tree, there were too many other trees in the foreground. I mean, I was confused because I couldn't see any fire either but didn't know if that's because it was hidden behind the trees or just a hallucination. If I wasn't supposed to know one way or another until next week, they accomplished what they wanted. If I was, they didn't. 

For me, even though the base of the tree was obscured, as well as part of the treehouse view from the kitchen, I still think there was enough visibility to know there was no smoke anywhere at all, making it another one of Ramon's hallucinations...

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Someone wants to pay Ashley $5 million dollars for her business but she is torn so OH POOR YOU.

Ramon just got a job offer at a prestigious tech company that likes his game so OH POOR YOU.

Audrey just found out her boss wasn't being entirely altruistic in financing her pretentious do-nothing foundation so OH POOR YOU.

Honestly . . . what exactly is this show about?? Over-privileged liberal elites who still can't find happiness because . . . reasons? And I care because . . .  ?

First world problems but for all their money, there's a lot of anguish and angst in those mean streets of Portland.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This is how I felt during the episode. Yes, wealthy people have problems, too, but having money makes most of the critical quality-of-life/stability problems go away--access to healthcare, plenty of food, safe housing, etc. The only character affected by financial insecurity (Henry) has conveniently disappeared.

The core issue of the show is it still not knowing what it's supposed to be. I can deal with "pretty, rich people with problems" as a show concept (I watch Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce, as one example), but I think we're supposed to look past the family's "problems" and see them as sympathetic, relatable characters. That's not happening for me.

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:13 PM, iMonrey said:

... I think the whole thing with Ramon and Farid and their visions is interesting. The rest of the show? Not so much. ...

I'm the opposite.  I like the regular "Where did I come from?/Who am I?" parts better than the Mysticism Of Ramon--the guy who won't pull a comb through his hair.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, IslandGirl said:

While Ramon does appear to hallucinate the fire in the treehouse per the finale preview, I don't think he hallucinated the burning man in his game because when he had his coworker come to his apartment (the cute girl with the short hair, I think her name was Dex) he asked her if she saw it & I believe she said she did see it...

I thought Ramon and his friend saw some fire in the game (fire that Ramon didn't program), but not a particular shape. It wasn't in the form of a person until this week...I think? Maybe it's not a hallucination, but a manifestation of his possible psychic abilities/empathicness. I'm not sure, and I wish the show would put more focus on his condition. It's just a mess.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

I thought Ramon and his friend saw some fire in the game (fire that Ramon didn't program), but not a particular shape. It wasn't in the form of a person until this week...I think? Maybe it's not a hallucination, but a manifestation of his possible psychic abilities/empathicness. I'm not sure, and I wish the show would put more focus on his condition. It's just a mess.

You may well be right BILGISTIC, I just can't remember! :-) 

11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

This is how I felt during the episode. Yes, wealthy people have problems, too, but having money makes most of the critical quality-of-life/stability problems go away--access to healthcare, plenty of food, safe housing, etc. The only character affected by financial insecurity (Henry) has conveniently disappeared.

That's exactly how I feel about this show. it's as if the show - like its' characters - lacks the self awareness to see that there are so many people who are less fortunate, with more pressing problems, like no access to safe housing or healthcare....

I'm still bitter about Henry's disappearance - they made me invested in a relationship that simply evaporated! AND he was the only one without a well-off financial background and support system. 

Also - I just have to ask , who is  more "underprivileged" here, homeless Henry, or Ashley with her big house, pretty, doting, slightly-dull husband, and $ 5 Million purchase offer...

However, with all its flaws, I still come back to watch this show every week... so somehow I'm invested in this show,  faults and all .

• Love 1

Does anyone remember if they mentioned Ramon having a neurological workup to see if there was a physical cause for his visions? I'm pretty sure Audrey would've jumped right to schizophrenia because of her brother, but did they have him see any other doctors before Farid?

On 3/27/2018 at 7:54 PM, DrivingSideways said:

I think I hate everyone on this show.  Maybe Navid is the only one I don't cringe at when they enter the scene.

I agree; in addition to Navid, I also like Kristen. :-) 

Things I enjoyed; Audrey telling Steven to fuck off in the hallway (OH YEAH). I also liked Greg telling off Duc; yes; Greg is a flawed person, but Duc is no prize either. Also, Ramon almost pulling off the Ferris Bueller move jumping over the fence into someone's back yard.

All in all I didn't hate this show, and there are some parts I really liked. I liked Greg a lot more at the end of the season than the beginning, so that was a plus.

• Love 3

WTF did I just watch? This show makes less sense the further into the episode I get.

I don't think I care about any of the bigger questions...but where did Farid get the cat-o'-nine tails? Did he buy another one in the US, or am I supposed to believe his uncle who smuggled him out of Iran allowed him to bring that along with him? And where did Ramon get the face mask?

I don't see this show returning for another season on HBO. It doesn't have any real direction and ostensibly did not resonate with viewers. 

The very last image we may ever have is Ramon walking into the hazardous volcanic ash to his doom, and that's okay with me.

• Love 5

What the hell was that?

I have a pretty high tolerance for shit in shows (I'll complain about it, but in the end there are only a few things that will make me turn off a show in disgust), but the end of this one was so absolutely nonsensical that it probably ruined the whole season for me.  First of all, nothing really happened except Mt. Hood erupted...which, if that were to happen, would not be a surprise.  Seismologists get fair warning about things like that (and, thanks to Hood's proximity to Mt. St. Helens, there are quite a few seismologists watching Hood).

So, what are we supposed to think about all this?  That mental illness is just being in touch with some sort of higher plane and we shouldn't treat it?  Because, that was what I think this show was trying to tell us....

Ugh...now, of course, I can hate it all I want but, if it comes back for another season, I kind of feel compelled to watch it just so I know what the hell just happened....

• Love 7

Duc: Your son was born to a fourteen year old in a whorehouse and it never crossed your mind that fucking an Asian hooker represented some, I don't know, conflict of interest or moral crime, you fucking hypocrite? You turn your nose up at my life my job, trying to help actual fucking people because it fails to live up to your philosophical standards and then you go cash in your university checks for some exotic young pussy. So is she the fetish or are we?
Greg: Fetish?
Duc: Your rainbow kids. Your noble oh so enlightened experiment. You're a fucking fraud.

Duc: Fuck you!
Greg: Fuck you back!

Kristen: For your information, we already had sex.
Audrey: Did you use a condom?
Kristen: Mom, ewwww.
Audrey: Kristen!
Kristen: He was a virgin!

Duc: What's the worst thing that ever happened to you?
Carmen: What a lovely question.

So Ramon just happened to have a mask in his pocket? Okay then. Maybe he's secretly one of those doomsday preppers who always has emergency supplies stuffed into his pockets!

Kristen needs to have a seat. First she has clearly not learned a lesson about birth control. ALWAYS USE A CONDOM, FFS!

Even if she's on the pill and he's a virgin, they should still be using a condom. When I was in a committed monogamous relationship with my first boyfriend (we were both virgins), I still used two forms of birth control for the 2+ years that we were together.

Loved the caller who asked Steve all the questions that Audrey had. Buh bye, Steve.

One thing that seemed realistic to me was that as soon as Audrey defended Ramon, both Ashley and Duc reverted back to resenting Ramon and referring to him as baby Jesus who never gets blamed for anythng. In theory, I get it. My parents were really tough on me (I was the oldest of three) and to this day still let my youngest sister get away with all kinds of stuff. Our other sister sometimes gets really bitter about it so I'm familiar with the dynamic.

Malcolm punching Ramon was over the line though. To me, that's like punching someone who has cancer. It's not Ramon's fault that he's seeing these things. I did find it interesting that Audrey, the one who was so insistent on Farid prescribing medication for Ramon ASAP, was the one who asked Ashley is she was suggesting they put Ramon in an institution. Also interesting that Hailey smelled smoke too. So it's all real?

Farid was really losing it. I don't blame Layla and Navid for being afraid.

Honestly, my biggest feeling about this episode was that I'm finally glad the season is over.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

I'm still trying to figure out how the homeless man took Ramon's bike WHILE he was riding it.  Also, who exactly was "Henry" that slept with Ramon since the dirty homeless man said his name was Henry Bergin.  

• Love 5

For me, the most interesting part of this episode was Greg revealing he knew about Duc's sexual escapades in Vancouver, followed by the homeless bike thief being the real Henry; all along I felt like "Henry" was hiding something big, & I don't mean his homelessness.

I like Carmen, & think she's really good for Duc. In a way, out of everyone, I think Duc (& Farid) are the most messed up. I also liked Audrey's brother Ike.

While I agree there were some gaps & holes, I still overall enjoyed the series. I hope it returns because I especially want to know what the deal with "Henry" is...

Edited by IslandGirl
  • Love 2

Everyone on this show is FUCKED up with a capital F, but I still like it. I hope it gets a second season. Tho I have no actual idea what it's all about, in the end.

Ramon was still in town when the volcano blew, I assumed he just popped into a Walgreens to pick up a mask before venturing further. But it's...what, 70, 80 miles from Portland to Mt Hood? he sure did a lot of walking.

I'm kind of bummed that Steven is a douchebag.

I still hate Greg.

I would run screaming from this family. Anyone who gets involved with ANY of them is insane. And cheers to Layla for getting the eff out. Farid said he'd gotten that cat o' nine tails after 'the last time'. No, he nor his uncle smuggled it out of Iran.

• Love 1

I'll answer some of the questions posed in the above:

Disclaimer: I don't read other blogs or postings so these are my theories...

Baby Jesus got the mask from emergency workers..they showed the workers giving out masks and water to people on the street after the mountain started spewing ash...

Hailey smelling smoke...perhaps she is like Ramon and Audrey's brother, Ike...those 3  are "fire sensitive" smelling and seeing it...

To knock someone off a bike, you rush up and blindside them as they pedal along..it is violent because you are basically tackling them off a moving frame of metal...Hollywood stunt stuff...real life.. more crashing hard to the street

Ramon finds out that his barista bf was using the homeless guy's name so who was that guy that had Ramon's apt. key and shared his bed?

Malcolm(do not trust the dude), the 2 Boxed Checked Woman, the Woman of Color trying to convey something to Ashley at the Cloth meeting... what will they mean to Ashley for next season?...Her story line is interesting...

Eww, sex with Duc...especially after he mentions and  had explosive diarrhea....that's acting for you...

• Love 5
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

Hailey smelling smoke...perhaps she is like Ramon and Audrey's brother, Ike...those 3  are "fire sensitive" smelling and seeing it...

I thought that the smoke Hailey had noticed had been from whatever was in the oven that burned (at the end of the last episode...)_

what bothered me the most was that Navid walked around with a busted face having been SEVERELY BEATEN, and no one bothers to take him to the doctor or call the police, because they all have so many more pressing issues, like breaking up or flogging themselves silly...

the visuals of Ramon dirty and wearing a face mask, like the people in his “vision “ at the games expo was interesting.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, IslandGirl said:

For me, the most interesting part of this episode was Greg revealing he knew about Duc's sexual escapades in Vancouver, followed by the homeless bike thief being the real Henry; all along I felt like "Henry" was hiding something big, & I don't mean his homelessness.

Considering that the recap made it a point to remind us that imposter Henry told Ramon "Whatever is happening to you, don't come at it from fear," my theory is that Ramon's former boyfriend is an earthly manifestation of the fiery djinn we see in his video game. He has been guiding Ramon and having him literally chase him to Mt. Hood, for reasons unknown.

There was a brief discussion about djinn in a previous episode at the Chokrani household about their purpose in guiding or intervening with humankind. 

• Love 4

Now that I've had some time to recover from the pure stupidity of the ending, more things that bugged me have come to mind.

Malcolm really got the shift here with Audrey.  When Ashley was taking Hailey to the hospital and Audrey interjected herself saying that Hailey needed NURTURING WOMEN more than her own father, I want slap her.  First of all, Audrey is anything but nurturing.  I mean, she tries to be, but she actually smothers more than she nurtures.  Secondly, everything that we've seen about Malcolm and Hailey in this show has told us that Malcolm *is* the nurturing parent for Hailey.  The fact that Audrey just cut him out of that whole thing with his own daughter was nothing short of sexist.

8 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Malcolm punching Ramon was over the line though. To me, that's like punching someone who has cancer. It's not Ramon's fault that he's seeing these things. I did find it interesting that Audrey, the one who was so insistent on Farid prescribing medication for Ramon ASAP, was the one who asked Ashley is she was suggesting they put Ramon in an institution. Also interesting that Hailey smelled smoke too. So it's all real?

I have to disagree with this.  I'm not a fan of physical violence, but Malcolm had just watched his own daughter be thrown onto the ground from at least a second-story height (and was obviously injured).  Is that an excuse for violence, especially with what we know about Ramon?  Probably not to someone who is not involved in the scene, but Malcolm (and most others there) were running on pure adrenaline.  He was not in a position to stop, think, and consider what might be the most appropriate way to address the situation while still validating the feelings of others.  His kid was in danger, as far as he knew, Ramon could have been coming back at Hailey.  He was scared, he was mad, and he had gone to that reptilian part of his brain that just reacts.  

Also, the smoke that Hailey smelled came from the kitchen.

I know it sounds like I'm a Malcolm defender--I'm not.  I just think in this particular episode he was treated pretty unfairly.  If this show gets another season, I would hope that this all wraps up into a better story line for him and Ashley.

5 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Ramon was still in town when the volcano blew, I assumed he just popped into a Walgreens to pick up a mask before venturing further. But it's...what, 70, 80 miles from Portland to Mt Hood? he sure did a lot of walking.

It's about 60 miles from Portland to Govermnent Camp, which is the town on Mt. Hood before all the ski resorts (I believe it is the community at the highest elevation, but don't quote me on that).  Portland is about 30-40 miles to the base of Mt. Hood--which is still a lot of walking to where it sort of appears Ramon was.  Except it's even farther.  It's hard to tell with truly shitty CGI--and that was truly shitty CGI--but just judging by the rise on the foothills, it actually like he was approaching from the East, not the West.

The whole Mt. Hood thing was just absurd.  As I said above, if Mt. Hood were potentially going to erupt, seismologists could give days, if not weeks, of notice.  Why didn't they just say it was Mt. St. Helens that erupted?  It's visible from Portland and it's actually only 10-20 miles farther away from the city.  Plus, if Mt. Hood were to erupt, that would be news of sort of an apocalyptic level in Portland.  If Mt. St. Helens erupted (again), people would sort of shrug and head for high ground to get a better view.  MSH hasn't gone off for a couple of years, but it has erupted a few times since 1980 and it's not exactly a surprise when it happens.

I will say that I did like the scene between Farid and the Imam.  I'm not Muslim, but I really felt that it had a universal message about spirituality.  So, I guess that was one good thing that happened in this ep...

• Love 4

Audrey, pushing aside the father of the injured child:  "She needs to be with women!" I now officially hate Audrey.  And Ashley agreeing with her, what a bitch!  And then the "nurturing women" yelling at each other in the waiting room.  They are all hopeless.  The only female I can stand is Farid's poor wife.

I have only a vague memory of "John from Cincinnati," but this show seems about as pointless, confusing, and ridiculous as that was.

As I was typing this, Hazel Eyes posted a more comprehensive message on the Audrey scene.  It was sexist, but I thought it more just obnoxious and Audrey being a Bitch Queen Bee. And I agree that Malcom's reaction was understandable, if not the best.  Really, if Audrey were so "nurturing," she would never have allowed her unstable, erratic, mentally ill son to be alone unsupervised with a small child.  He is not evil, but frighteningly unpredictable.

Edited by MBayGal
  • Love 6

Well, that was underwhelming.  Glad to see that I am not the only one to be wondering what I just watched!  I guess I hoped that they would provide a FEW answers, but maybe they are counting on a second season to start bringing things into focus.

I appreciated the djinn theory that Rahul posed here earlier--that sort of makes sense to me.  I don't get what the psychic connection was between Ramone and Farid.  Ramone "seeing" things from Farid's life was somewhat explained, but why was Farid seeing Ramone's mother?  Why was Ramone going to the volcano?  Where were the security people who I am sure would be posted to keep curiosity seekers from doing exactly that!?  What were all the shadows that appeared around Ramone when he faced the burning man at the base of the volcano?  So many questions . . .sigh.

• Love 1