Type keyword(s) to search

SuperNormal: Public Appearances, Tweets, Media And Other Social Media Of The SPN Cast

• Start Topic

This unfortunate incident has really brought home to me how young the Supernatural fans are these days based on the  bickering silliness of reactions on Twitter.  Dabb is writing for juveniles because that’s who’s watching. The grown ups have left the building.

I wish Jared well, he has a solid for a friend and a good wife and family. Dude needs to quit drinking tho.  Maybe open a designer beanie line?

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

And maybe sell his bars too to invest in something else, to remove the temptation if nothing else?  All things aside, it certainly doesn't help people's mental health to have their stupidity/mistakes/whatever you want to call it, plastered all over the 'net.

• Love 5

Most importantly, I truly hope Jared is okay. 

But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed in him. Especially because this weekend I’m going to my first SPN Convention with my sister, who adores him and was really excited about a photo op with him. I’m guessing he won’t be showing up and will likely try to lay low for awhile until this blows over. 

I hope he learns a lesson from this and gets his head back on straight.

• Love 3

I was wondering about the DC con - I hope for everyone's sake he's there, and I think he will be, but I hope the subject is the elephant in the room (and not like at TorCon, where that strange woman told him she hoped the CW didn't **** with Walker Texas Ranger).

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ukgirl71 said:

I was wondering about the DC con - I hope for everyone's sake he's there, and I think he will be, but I hope the subject is the elephant in the room (and not like at TorCon, where that strange woman told him she hoped the CW didn't **** with Walker Texas Ranger).

Oh, if he does make it there, I really hope no one brings it up and tries to ask him about it or how he's doing. I assume the questions are pre-screened and heavily moderated? But I've never been so I don't know. 

6 minutes ago, goyour-own-way said:

Oh, if he does make it there, I really hope no one brings it up and tries to ask him about it or how he's doing. I assume the questions are pre-screened and heavily moderated? But I've never been so I don't know. 

There is no screening at the gold panel.  You put your hand up and they call on you.  Creation isn't the best at enforcing its rules.  There is supposed to be no asking for shoutouts or birthday wishes or personal stories but those still end up being asked.

So hopefully creation makes an announcement not to talk about it, and actually enforce it.

• Love 2

I am sure Jared will be at the con, and he'll feel the support of all of his fans who genuinely seem to think this is no big deal (hey, who hasn't gotten drunk and bashed a few heads?).

It does indeed suck to have your mistakes plastered all over the media, social and otherwise. I wonder if it will make him think twice before slamming the next celeb to get in trouble (or die), or the next private citizen in the service industry who wrongs him.

I do believe he's a good person at heart, but my mama always told me a drunk man says (and does) what a sober man wants to. I hope that he takes this experience to heart and truly learns from it. I sincerely don't want to wake up one morning to a much worse headline with his name in it.

• Love 9

I agree - Creation are more than a bit cr*p at enforcing the stupid - it drove me (not so) quietly crackers at TorCon (especially when I had good questions lined up and never got a chance to ask them lol)

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ukgirl71 said:

I agree - Creation are more than a bit cr*p at enforcing the stupid - it drove me (not so) quietly crackers at TorCon (especially when I had good questions lined up and never got a chance to ask them lol)

The shouting from the audience, especially that back corner was so annoying and they did nothing to put a stop to that either.   Ive been to multiple CE cons and that was the worst its ever been.

3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I do believe he's a good person at heart, but my mama always told me a drunk man says (and does) what a sober man wants to. I hope that he takes this experience to heart and truly learns from it. I sincerely don't want to wake up one morning to a much worse headline with his name in it.

I hope he gets any help he needs.  He has a solid support system and I hope he takes advantage of it.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, ILoveReading said:

The shouting from the audience, especially that back corner was so annoying and they did nothing to put a stop to that either.   Ive been to multiple CE cons and that was the worst its ever been.

They would only have to eject someone once or twice and they idiots would stop. I believe that. They do it because they can, with no repercussions. Same with the personal stories/questions.

• Love 3

Oh I think he’ll be at the con too and will get lots of support and understanding. Judge not lest ye be judged type of thing. And he’s basically a nice genuine guy but with issues.

He won’t have Jensen on the set of Walker and there will likely be stress, etc.  So I hope all goes well for him.

He’s probably feeling embarrassed right now. 😔

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I am sure Jared will be at the con, and he'll feel the support of all of his fans who genuinely seem to think this is no big deal (hey, who hasn't gotten drunk and bashed a few heads?).

What you do at 22 is one thing.  At 37, he should have learned some self-control.  He's the father of three kids; public intoxication and assault shouldn't even be on the table.  I like Jared and have always appreciated his empathy toward those who are struggling, but watching that video made me ill.  I hope those he assaulted and the friend he put in a headlock are more forgiving than I would be.

• Love 19
13 minutes ago, Wynne88 said:

What you do at 22 is one thing.  At 37, he should have learned some self-control.  He's the father of three kids; public intoxication and assault shouldn't even be on the table.  I like Jared and have always appreciated his empathy toward those who are struggling, but watching that video made me ill.  I hope those he assaulted and the friend he put in a headlock are more forgiving than I would be.

And if he does have part ownership in the bar (which I'm sure I recall from the opening) these are his employees. Regardless, it's not great behavior from a grown man.

Not gonna lie, the hypocrisy of his fans on social media over people 'judging' their hero is stunning. The same people who defended him for trashing service industry people, private citizens, who wronged him, demanding understanding for a guy who made a mistake. I mean, that is how it should be, but the road runs in both directions, people.

• Love 12

It's inexcusable behavior no matter how you look at it. It's also not the end of the world.  This isn't going to end his career and it will all blow over. The worst is going to be explaining to his two young sons what he did. That to me is going to be the most devastating part of it all. That's the judge and jury he is going to have to face.  Can't run from that.

• Love 10

Hopefully he’ll address it outright and pinch off comments.  His previous comments on others makes it difficult to simply deal with it in complete privacy.  If he chooses that route, his business.  But a statement and move on is the best answer.  He knows better, there’s about a 1000 ways this could have been worse.  If he treats it as the close call/warning it is, he’ll adjust and move on.  

I wish wisdom and self-discipline were always a by-product of age.  I know I still screw up and  I’m 57!   Maybe the body eventually wears out to finally force us to understand our limits.  

• Love 9

I think people are missing the point here.  It's not the getting drunk that's the problem.  It's disappointing in someone his age, but can be understood.  *It's the hitting people.*  Not one, but two.  Not everyone who's drunk gets violent.  There's no excuse for that.  And (in the absence of any explanation) I'm guessing that he hit the bartender because he saw Jared was drunk and refused to serve him any more.  

I'm sorry, that's not something to be ignored, handwaved or given sympathy for.  That's major f*d up.  And if he's a mean drunk, then if I were Gen, I'd worry.  

• Love 19
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I expect a sincere mea culpa statement from him, and then it will all quietly go away. He's pretty much a golden child when it comes to the CW and social media.

Probably. 

But that won't help him, IMO. 

And I have to wonder about how the network might feel about putting any new show into his hands after this, especially since it's not the first time and these things seem to be escalating with him, too.

• Love 11
39 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

I think people are missing the point here.  It's not the getting drunk that's the problem.  It's disappointing in someone his age, but can be understood.  *It's the hitting people.*  Not one, but two.  Not everyone who's drunk gets violent.  There's no excuse for that.  And (in the absence of any explanation) I'm guessing that he hit the bartender because he saw Jared was drunk and refused to serve him any more.  

I'm sorry, that's not something to be ignored, handwaved or given sympathy for.  That's major f*d up.  And if he's a mean drunk, then if I were Gen, I'd worry.  

I’m not ignoring that.  I just don’t expect him to open a vein on the topic.  Jared has acknowledged he sees a therapist weekly.  He has loved ones and a support system which I believe will pull him up short on this and examine all the elements and implications.   Like I said, this could have been much worse.  He needs to take action and I believe he will.  I also believe he will sincerely deal with how he got to the point of getting physical, getting so drunk, etc... Finally, Gen is no dummy and she’s got support.  

• Love 4
1 minute ago, SueB said:

I’m not ignoring that.  I just don’t expect him to open a vein on the topic.  Jared has acknowledged he sees a therapist weekly.  He has loved ones and a support system which I believe will pull him up short on this and examine all the elements and implications.   Like I said, this could have been much worse.  He needs to take action and I believe he will.  I also believe he will sincerely deal with how he got to the point of getting physical, getting so drunk, etc... Finally, Gen is no dummy and she’s got support.  

Like I said this isn't the end of the world. No one was injured, no one had to go to the hospital, other actors have done far worse and haven't lost their jobs. It really depends on if the bartender and manager press charges on what the punishment might be (and I'm sure there will be some sort of punishment.  Austin tries very hard to make sure their town center is violence free). Even if they don't the DA may go ahead with charges if this is an ongoing problem with Jared. He may have to do community service on top of a fine and/or he may have to spend a few days in jail. Whatever the outcome I hope it's a lesson that sticks forever.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, SueB said:

I didn't say Jared was ignoring it.  I'm saying all the people who are racing to defend him, saying he's just misunderstood or people are making a fuss over nothing or the old "boys will be boys" crap should understand that this is a major issue, not something to be brushed aside as unimportant.  Just because this is the only one that made it into the press doesn't mean that it's a one-shot deal.  

I just get tired of people defending behavior which should be indefensible.  That's enabling.

• Love 17

You don’t have to be a dummy to have trouble dealing with a violent, angry drunk. Especially one who is super fit and 6’5.

Personally, I think this is coming from an outsized sense of entitlement. Tantrumming like a spoiled child, thinking he’s untouchable. Which is why I say he needs a reality check.

Yes, I do personally think worse of him for this behavior.

• Love 18
1 minute ago, ahrtee said:

I didn't say Jared was ignoring it.  I'm saying all the people who are racing to defend him, saying he's just misunderstood or people are making a fuss over nothing or the old "boys will be boys" crap should understand that this is a major issue, not something to be brushed aside as unimportant.  Just because this is the only one that made it into the press doesn't mean that it's a one-shot deal.  

I just get tired of people defending behavior which should be indefensible.  That's enabling.

I have a feeling all the people running to his defense is only going to make Jared feel worse about acting like a jackass. It doesn't matter what we say or think or whatever the outcome/punishment ultimately is. He has to face his own children. Tom is old enough to understand but way too young to have to deal with it.  That is going to be the worst part.

• Love 4

This is upsetting to me for a personal reason.  A friend of mine who is a librarian told a patron that he had to leave the library because he was drunk and was causing a disruption. The man came over, reached across the desk, and punched her in the face. She was really hurt – the EMTs took her to the hospital to check for a possible concussion. She is okay, but it was a very traumatic and frightening experience. So it really bothers me to hear about this. I can’t say, like I have seen fans elsewhere saying, “What’s the big deal?” Because it is a big deal.

• Love 16
15 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

The photo is not a booking photo....but it is way worse than first reported.  Jared is in a lot of trouble...

https://www.theledger.com/news/20191028/supernaturalstar-jared-padalecki-accused-of-assault-at-austin-bar

Wow.

I can't say I'm entirely surprised, given his history of tantrums when he feels mistreated by staff; but I had hoped he'd grown out of it and learned his lesson. This is so disappointing.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

This is upsetting to me for a personal reason.  A friend of mine who is a librarian told a patron that he had to leave the library because he was drunk and was causing a disruption. The man came over, reached across the desk, and punched her in the face. She was really hurt – the EMTs took her to the hospital to check for a possible concussion. She is okay, but it was a very traumatic and frightening experience. So it really bothers me to hear about this. I can’t say, like I have seen fans elsewhere saying, “What’s the big deal?” Because it is a big deal.

Not ony "What's the big deal?" but also "Who's never punched someone in their life?"-which is mind-boggling to me.

1 hour ago, rue721 said:

You don’t have to be a dummy to have trouble dealing with a violent, angry drunk. Especially one who is super fit and 6’5.

Personally, I think this is coming from an outsized sense of entitlement. Tantrumming like a spoiled child, thinking he’s untouchable. Which is why I say he needs a reality check.

This is what enabling does in the long run.

His illness cannot be blamed for all of this.

Some of it is most certainly behavioral.

He has to learn this, if he hasn't already.

And even then, it will be a constant, lifetime battle.

He obviously should not drink.

That's the first thing that he should realize and understand and owning a bar or bars?-likely not the best sort of financial investments for him. He should sell them when the smoke clears from all of this, IMO.

He's not going to be able to avoid stress or stressful situations in his life.  No one can, but things such as those, which would most certainly and greatly hamper or interfere with any kind of recovery can be better avoided. But HE would have to understand that and,  more importantly, put his mind to it. He has plenty of support, but support can only go so far.

But people need to understand that even then, there are no guarantees against relapses and regression. 

This is his life and really only he can take charge of it and it's going to be hard as hell, but as I said, he has more support than the average Joe could ever hope to have.

I doubt he'll make the con, nor do I even think that it would be a good idea or helpful for him to even try-not at this point.

The fandom won't help him-no one will, IMO-if they just want to pretend it never happened.

And if he does do the con, we know that all the fandom outpourings of love and kindness and sympathy and understanding for him would simply dominate it-which is not right either and, frankly, should make him feel worse if he ever hopes to have the strength to prevent stuff like this from happening again.

All of this is JMO, of course.

Edited by Myrelle
Revision
  • Love 10
4 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

The fandom won't help him-no one will, IMO-if they just want to pretend it never happened.

And if he does do the con, we know that all the fandom outpourings of love and kindness and sympathy and understanding for him would simply dominate it-which is not right either and, frankly, should make feel worse if he ever hopes to have the strength to prevent stuff like this happening again.

Skimming through his name @ and # on Twitter I literally cannot find one fan post that doesn't absolve him due to his illness or consider it 'no big deal, get over it' (except for the 'he's scum' posts from obvious haters). No one is holding him accountable. Of course it is not our place to do so - but this truly helps no one.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Casseiopeia said:

edit: So apparently that was the booking photo.

I don't know how drunk, dumb and/or entitled you have to be to put your hand on a police officer in this situation, but oh boy. It's a good thing they are buddies with the police chief.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Skimming through his name @ and # on Twitter I literally cannot find one fan post that doesn't absolve him due to his illness or consider it 'no big deal, get over it' (except for the 'he's scum' posts from obvious haters). No one is holding him accountable. Of course it is not our place to do so - but this truly helps no one.

I think that the fandom does not fully understand his illness.

He, himself, might not even fully understand it.

• Love 4
Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't know how drunk, dumb and/or entitled you have to be to put your hand on a police officer in this situation, but oh boy. It's a good thing they are buddies with the police chief.

Like I said he is in a lot of trouble.  Friends or not he bloodied two people and put hands on a police officer. Can't whitewash that.

• Love 7
Just now, Casseiopeia said:

Like I said he is in a lot of trouble.  Friends or not he bloodied two people and put hands on a police officer. Can't whitewash that.

Yeah, I just mean he's lucky that they only cuffed him at that point.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

It's not good--but he has no record and can afford the best lawyers...he won't get any time imo.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Jakes said:

It's not good--but he has no record and can afford the best lawyers...he won't get any time imo.

Penalties for Simple Assault in Texas

Class A misdemeanor – up to one year in jail or a fine up to $4000, or both. Class B misdemeanor – up to 180 days in jail or a fine up to $2000, or both, and. Class C misdemeanor – a fine up to $500.

If the charges even stick, I'm guessing the monetary fine is what he'll get.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

I think that the fandom does not fully understand his illness.

He, himself, might not even fully understand it.

Not to be preachy, but chalking everything up to "his illness" stigmatizes the disease and absolves the individual.  It's not the illness itself that causes these types of problems, it's how the person handles it.  And someone who has had all the love, support and therapy he apparently has had obviously has other underlying issues which are his alone.  As someone who's struggled with panic and depression for most of my life, I've never gotten violent, angry, or turned to self-medicating in any form (I have enough prescribed medication to keep me happy!)  The therapy and support of friends and family is supposed to give the person tools to deal with the "illness" that don't involve violence or self-medication.  But the person has to be willing to use those tools instead of taking the easier route.   And that's what he has to accept *on his own.*  No one can do it for him, and having everyone tell him, "poor baby, it's not your fault, it's the illness" won't help.  

• Love 20

I was shocked to read about Jared and disappointed. Based on some comments in this thread, it appears this wasn't his first time being violent? I hadn't heard about this before. Has he been in trouble before this weekend?

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

But the person has to be willing to use those tools instead of taking the easier route.   And that's what he has to accept *on his own.*  No one can do it for him, and having everyone tell him, "poor baby, it's not your fault, it's the illness" won't help

ITA.

And that's what the fandom doesn't understand about it.

And as a result of all the previous enabling, even he might not understand that his behavior cannot all be attributed to the illness.

It takes really good counselors to help with this kind of an illness and to separate behaviors from what can't be controlled with medications and what's more likely personality make-up and learned behaviors. And money can't always buy good counselors.

Edited by Myrelle
Additions
  • Love 4

Imagine what it took for employees to throw an owner out of his own club! To wave police down and ask them to take the owner to jail. And even then, the cops struggled to contain him and had to cuff him and put him in the patrol car just to stop him from laying his hands on more police officers.

He needs to make amends to the people he violently assaulted and to all his employees. They are probably shaken from him attacking so many of them right at work, and probably very scared for their jobs. The flip side of him being so well connected is that the employees and even the patrons are probably very afraid to be on his bad side. Who wants to make an enemy of their boss, who is famous and rich and the chief of police’s buddy? Yet they stood up for themselves anyway, which just shows how out of control and scary he must have been.

I worked in bars, clubs, restaurants for a decade and don’t remember ever seeing behavior this violent and out of control. Let alone from an owner or investor! This is way out of the norm.

If he’s so ill that he can’t help but be a physical danger to the people around him, then he should be committed. But I don’t think that’s the issue, frankly. Nor do I blame alcohol. At the end of the day, he makes his own choices. This weekend he made terrible ones, that got other people hurt and no doubt scared for their own safety and livelihoods. I hope someone holds him accountable, but I am also not holding my breath.

• Love 15

Depending on what the outcome of all this is and what % of the bar he owns, he may be required to sell or the place could lose its liquor license.  I used to work for a restaurant company and we had to disclose all kinds of information for owners and officers.  I would think a felony, especially one involving being drunk and disorderly, would be disqualifying. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
Just now, TexasGal said:

Depending on what the outcome of all this is and what % of the bar he owns, he may be required to sell or the place could lose its liquor license.  I used to work for a restaurant company and we had to disclose all kinds of information for owners and officers.  I would think a felony, especially one involving being drunk and disorderly, would be disqualifying. 

Except it was only classed as a misdemeanor.  I think if it happens again there would be more repercussions. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

I was shocked to read about Jared and disappointed. Based on some comments in this thread, it appears this wasn't his first time being violent? I hadn't heard about this before. Has he been in trouble before this weekend?

I think this was his first time being violent in public.  But he has a history of losing his temper and "calling out" on SM anyone he thinks doesn't treat him well (such as bartenders, waiters and airline staff), often by name and/or picture, and sometimes ends up having them harassed by angry fans.  

• Love 1