Type keyword(s) to search

SuperNormal: Public Appearances, Tweets, Media And Other Social Media Of The SPN Cast

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

“You had me at western”…. I don’t think this project will go ahead now, do you?  Hopefully Jensen will get to be in a western at some point in his career. He’s got the legs.

Let’s hope her tragic death changes something in the movie making industry. 

I don’t see why it wouldn’t.  They can (and should) dedicate the film to Mrs. Hutchins.  Even Twiglight Zone continued, tho w/o the sequence that killed Vic and the young children.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

My point was that low budget can also mean poor pay and poor working conditions for the cast and crew.

But it doesn't automatically mean poor pay and poor working conditions.  Lots of low budget stuff gets made safely and do quite well. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, roamyn said:

I don’t see why it wouldn’t.  They can (and should) dedicate the film to Mrs. Hutchins.  Even Twiglight Zone continued, tho w/o the sequence that killed Vic and the young children.

Well Alec Baldwin may not be up to it for one thing this is a devastating thing. For another depending on what type of civil suits are filed it may not be worth it. In Twilight Zone they had multiple stories, they could part out.  For The Crow, Brandon Lee's part was almost entirely filmed.  Rust is only about 50% done.

However, if they do decide to do continue, which I feel isn't very likely, I hope people won't criticize. The cast and crew who were there were traumatized, for some people finishing the project could be a way for them to move on emotionally, rather than leaving it unfinished.

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

“You had me at western”…. I don’t think this project will go ahead now, do you?  Hopefully Jensen will get to be in a western at some point in his career. He’s got the legs.

Let’s hope her tragic death changes something in the movie making industry. 

I'm not in the business, and can confidently say I know nothing of how this business works.

But, unfortunately, like all businesses, it will just come down to the people financing the project and what they want to do. 

Its hard to say exactly where they are at in filming.  But I saw a permit someone posted that said filming was supposed to go until early November.  So if that was bascially the first week of November, and the film's production days were Wednesday to Sunday, that means they only had about 10-15 filming days left. 

But I agree with @MAK  its will be the financers who make the decisions. 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

Well Alec Baldwin may not be up to it for one thing this is a devastating thing. For another depending on what type of civil suits are filed it may not be worth it. In Twilight Zone they had multiple stories, they could part out.  For The Crow, Brandon Lee's part was almost entirely filmed.  Rust is only about 50% done.

You’re right.  I didn’t think abt Alec’s feelings in all this. 

Part of me wants the movie to be finished, and another doesn't.  I would like to see Jensen in a western.  Great photos.

I think it's way too early to know what they will do.  I do hope it is a wake up call about safety.  I can see the film being finished to honor her work, but it will depend on how the legal issues are resolved, so for now all we can do is wait and see.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 7kstar said:

Part of me wants the movie to be finished, and another doesn't.  I would like to see Jensen in a western.  Great photos.

I think it's way too early to know what they will do.  I do hope it is a wake up call about safety.  I can see the film being finished to honor her work, but it will depend on how the legal issues are resolved, so for now all we can do is wait and see.

If you have instagram this account of what happened posted by Halyna's friend and assistant who was standing next to her when she was shot is gut wrenching. If the project does go forward the production company is going to have to wade through a lot of negligence issues first.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVbbMdNjyvr/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Man. Whatever happens with the film (and I could respect either argument - shut it down out of respect for her death, or finish it out of respect for the last work she did), I just hope this leads to major reform in the industry. No one should lose their life for a movie. 

Edited by Aithne
  • Love 3

Realistically, I think that the odds of the film ever being completed are slim at best. Baldwin is reported to be taking a break from acting and in all honesty, if the reports of safety issues being reported by the crew are accurate, it's going to be next to impossible for the film to be insured. Especially if concerns about the weapons coordinator turn out to be valid and she was unqualified. They may have no options to proceed at this point.

My heart goes out to everyone involved in this. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

I never said he should look down on a role because it wasn't a block buster. However as it turns out the production company let the union crew walk off the set without looking into their concerns and replaced them with non union workers in order to rush production along and save money.

I watched the convention video as well (I posted it) and yes Jensen was excited about the project. My point was that low budget can also mean poor pay and poor working conditions for the cast and crew. Jensen is used to working long hours into the night but he is also used to working with a tight professional crew where safety is the first priority which clearly wasn't the case on this set. And I certainly don't blame Jensen for anything. However the unfortunate death of Halyn was the exact reason that SAG crew members were about to strike. Unsafe and unfair working conditions, something that the production company behind Rust didn't take very seriously. It could have easily been Jensen on either end of that gun since he was the protagonist in the movie.

You do realize that if Jensen should have been expected to turn down this opportunity or walk off the set after the crews' complaints,  that by extension this would also apply to the victims? Would you be so willing to say they should've known better?  

Hindsight is 20/20 and judging people's decisions after the fact, even more so.  Unfortunately this tragedy has shone a very large spotlight on a very small group of people, most of whom were just trying to do their jobs. Jensen has  proven himself to be a good person, more than worthy of the benefit of doubt at the very least. 

• Love 19

To be fair to Jensen, I don't think he could have anticipated that this would turn into such a clusterfuck. Maybe there were red flags before filming started, especially when it comes to the qualifications of the armory master, but we don't know what Jensen might have been aware of. He's just an actor here, not a producer so he's not responsible for what's going on behind the scenes.

But I do feel badly for him because his name is now attached to this mess. It's in the news constantly, and he's been profiled repeatedly in the media. After Alec, the director and the cinematographer who lost her life, Jensen's name and face is the one that I see most. And it's sad to see that just over a week ago, he was talking at the con about how much fun he's having making this film. Now we've got a woman dead, reports of crew walking off the set because of safety concerns and production very probably shut down for good. At the end of the day, Jensen made a bad call getting attached to this project. The good thing is that it shouldn't impact his marketability for other roles, but it still stinks that his name is going to continue to be associated with Rust.

• Useful 1
On 10/25/2021 at 8:53 AM, tessathereaper said:

For The Crow, Brandon Lee's part was almost entirely filmed.  Rust is only about 50% done.

I remember when Brandon Lee died - from what I recall, they had pretty much all of his filming in the can by the time of the accident and they used a body double for any shots that they still needed (you can see the difference in the film, because you won't see Brandon's face in those shots).

At this point, I just think that there is too much for Rust to overcome enough to justify going forward with the production. With all of the safety questions, no insurance company will touch the production and without insurance, they're dead (no pun intended) in the water. Then we have to consider that a police investigation is still ongoing, and I don't doubt that there will be an industry evaluation of what happened on the set. People associated with the production might face some kind of criminal charges. This isn't something that they can just move on from.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Hana Chan said:

At the end of the day, Jensen made a bad call getting attached to this project.

No, at the end of the day, unfortunate circumstances made it look like a bad call in hindsight. I seriously doubt whether any actor investigates who the 1st AD or the armourer are on any given project. It's a lesson I imagine many people will learn from this tragedy, not only Jensen.

It does seem like this guy has had many prior complaints and incidents. That is on the production company for not having vetted him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19

@gonzosgirrl I don't think anyone can say that Jensen should have known that this production was going to be such a disaster. It's bad luck on his part that it turned out like this. I sucks for him that so much of the media focus on him right now is due to this disaster. That's not something that any actor would want.

One thing is clear is that heads are going to roll. Latest reports are that a fanny pack full of loose ammo was found on the set. Normally ammo needs to be kept in labeled boxes so that the weapons master knows exactly what is being used. This was just so painfully dangerous and sloppy.

Edited by Hana Chan
2 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

To be fair to Jensen, I don't think he could have anticipated that this would turn into such a clusterfuck. Maybe there were red flags before filming started, especially when it comes to the qualifications of the armory master, but we don't know what Jensen might have been aware of. He's just an actor here, not a producer so he's not responsible for what's going on behind the scenes.

But I do feel badly for him because his name is now attached to this mess. It's in the news constantly, and he's been profiled repeatedly in the media. After Alec, the director and the cinematographer who lost her life, Jensen's name and face is the one that I see most. And it's sad to see that just over a week ago, he was talking at the con about how much fun he's having making this film. Now we've got a woman dead, reports of crew walking off the set because of safety concerns and production very probably shut down for good. At the end of the day, Jensen made a bad call getting attached to this project. The good thing is that it shouldn't impact his marketability for other roles, but it still stinks that his name is going to continue to be associated with Rust.

He didn't make a bad call, unless every single person involved in this film made a bad call.  The actors could not have known what was going to happen when they accepted the roles.  Hindsight should never be used to judge someone's judgement.

Edited by tessathereaper
  • Love 15

I'm not sure where everyone is seeing Jensen attached to the film.  I don't follow social media and get most of my news from TV or a few news websites (CNN, AP, BBC and my local networks) and none of them have even mentioned Jensen that I've seen.  I assume he's not well known enough outside of the fandom to rate headlines.  The few things I saw (from Variety, and a few of the LA papers) that did mention Jensen just referred to the con video about his weapons training, which, as I've said before, doesn't reflect badly on him.  To the general public, Baldwin is the name associated with the film.  

(In fact, one of the comments in the Primetimer forum discussing Rust wondered why Kripke had mentioned Jensen in his tweet, and apparently didn't know he was even in the film.)  

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

I'm not sure where everyone is seeing Jensen attached to the film.  I don't follow social media and get most of my news from TV or a few news websites (CNN, AP, BBC and my local networks) and none of them have even mentioned Jensen that I've seen.

The con video (before it was removed) was the lead in on CNN and MSNBC. It was taken out of context and used as evidence of the lack of weapons training on the set. His name was used as well, although mispronounced.

• Useful 1

From what I've seen I highly doubt Jensen sticks out in anyone's memory in regards to this story. Even the sensationalist headlines and reports 2 or 3? days ago are one and done. The only place I've seen him being discussed in depth (apart from maybe gleeful haters on social media who want to wish his misfortunate into existance) is here. Every other coverage moved on to bigger news when it comes to this. 

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

The con video (before it was removed) was the lead in on CNN and MSNBC. It was taken out of context and used as evidence of the lack of weapons training on the set. His name was used as well, although mispronounced.

1 minute ago, Aeryn13 said:

From what I've seen I highly doubt Jensen sticks out in anyone's memory in regards to this story. Even the sensationalist headlines and reports 2 or 3? days ago are one and done. The only place I've seen him being discussed in depth (apart from maybe gleeful haters on social media who want to wish his misfortunate into existance) is here. Every other coverage moved on to bigger news when it comes to this. 

It's sad but true that Jensen isn't a household name anywhere except in the SPN fandom.  Most people haven't a clue who he is and the clip was only shown because it was discussing something others were interested in, not who was saying it.  

• Love 3
On 10/26/2021 at 11:08 AM, Hana Chan said:

@gonzosgirrl I don't think anyone can say that Jensen should have known that this production was going to be such a disaster. It's bad luck on his part that it turned out like this. I sucks for him that so much of the media focus on him right now is due to this disaster. That's not something that any actor would want.

Except that is exactly what you did say - literally that he made a bad call. I don't know how else to interpret that. Bad luck, as you say now, I agree with.

There is less and less focus on his con video now that they have actual facts and involved parties to talk about. How things go moving forward will determine who gets remembered, and how, regarding this tragedy.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Yes, most, if not all, of the news stories that I have read in the last couple days do not even mention his name. I have seen some media stories about his Instagram post honoring Ms. Hutchins, but that's all. But anyway I don't foresee him somehow ending up as the "face" of the tragedy, or his career being somehow reduced to "the actor connected to that mess". For one thing, he did nothing wrong, and for another, I trust him to handle the repercussions that will inevitably follow for all of the cast and crew with care and discretion and integrity. Because that's the kind of person he has always shown himself to be.

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, Bergamot said:

But anyway I don't foresee him somehow ending up as the "face" of the tragedy, or his career being somehow reduced to "the actor connected to that mess

And of course I never said that. As long as that video was being manipulated as an example of the unprofessional behavior of the cast and crew  with weapons on set Jensen was the only face. No other cast or crew member had made any public comment about the set at all...before or after the tragic event. Just Jensen. Now that Gayled_it edited out that portion of the panel his JOKE can never be used against him again.

I also never implied that Jensen's entire career  was going to be  "reduced"  to the actor connected to that mess. I was afraid that because of the video all over main stream media his was going to be the only voice being misused by the media and he would be connected to the on set behavior of cast and crew in the eyes of people who have no idea who he is.

If that video was still available the media would still be using it. Thank god it isn't.

6 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

The only place I've seen him being discussed in depth (apart from maybe gleeful haters on social media who want to wish his misfortunate into existance) is here.

This is what I don't understand about all of this. Is it the Destiel fans that are still salty after the latest convention? Are they wishing ill on an actor because he doesn't support your ship? If this is so then IMO people need to scrutinize them, not Jensen.

• Love 7

It’s a tragedy for the woman who died and for Alec who must carry this with him for the rest of his life.  A much smaller tragedy, of course,  for Jensen who just wanted to be in a western.  
I hope he gets his wish some day. 

Edited by Pondlass1
  • Love 6

According to the news reports this morning (and there's going to be a press conference today). The NM DA is not ruling out anything in the way of criminal charges (I believe that the production company, assistant director and armory master are the most at risk). Now I don't believe for a single instant that Jensen is in any kind of legal jeopardy, but I do think that there is at least even probability that if any criminal (or civil) cases move forward that he's going to be called as a witness. Especially after he talked about some of the on=set horseplay at the convention. He's been on the set and seen how things were done and he might have been a witness to the accident itself. In a civil case, he might be called by either the plaintiff or the defense. Either way, this might cause a problem for Jensen because his best option is to get away from this production as quickly as he can with his contract (I still think the odds are that the production is going to be permanently cancelled), but being entangled in any of the legal issues are going to keep Jensen from walking away completely.

This is really just such crappy luck on Jensen's part. He had nothing to do with this accident and bears zero responsibility, but there is a serious chance of this sticking to him for some time. I feel really bad for the guy because all he wanted to do was make a western movie and it's turned into a complete shitshow.

According to the news reports this morning (and there's going to be a press conference today). The NM DA is not ruling out anything in the way of criminal charges (I believe that the production company, assistant director and armory master are the most at risk). Now I don't believe for a single instant that Jensen is in any kind of legal jeopardy, but I do think that there is at least even probability that if any criminal (or civil) cases move forward that he's going to be called as a witness. Especially after he talked about some of the on=set horseplay at the convention. He's been on the set and seen how things were done and he might have been a witness to the accident itself. In a civil case, he might be called by either the plaintiff or the defense. Either way, this might cause a problem for Jensen because his best option is to get away from this production as quickly as he can with his contract (I still think the odds are that the production is going to be permanently cancelled), but being entangled in any of the legal issues are going to keep Jensen from walking away completely.

This is really just such crappy luck on Jensen's part. He had nothing to do with this accident and bears zero responsibility, but there is a serious chance of this sticking to him for some time. I feel really bad for the guy because all he wanted to do was make a western movie and it's turned into a complete shitshow.

Every other actor who was present or majorly on set would be a witness as well and be called for testimony. Noone can "escape" that and if it is not doom and gloom for everyone else, why would it be for him?

I don’t get this singling him out constantly for the apparent negative things that all await him. 

• Love 12

This is obviously going to affect everyone on the set, not just Jensen, but since this is a SPN board and we discuss the careers of the cast members...

Of course, I could also say something about Misha's bad poetry book and that the stuff reads like poems that I wrote in high school.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

This is obviously going to affect everyone on the set, not just Jensen, but since this is a SPN board and we discuss the careers of the cast members...

Of course, I could also say something about Misha's bad poetry book and that the stuff reads like poems that I wrote in high school.

But that's the thing. It's just an Internet forum so if the one place he can't move on from being connected to this tragedy is here, it won't matter.

And I think it truly won't interfere with him, other than obviously emotionally. Where I wish him all the best and all the support he needs to recover. Which is why I wish he wouldn't do cons now so soon. He gets hatred from the vultures on a good day after cons, as if they would show any class or empathy now.

• Love 6

. Especially after he talked about some of the on=set horseplay at the convention

This was an anecdotal story told to fans and most likely details were omitted or embellished. It was not about describing conditions on set in any way.   There was another actor who said the more experience actors double and triple checked their weapons on set.  IMO, it sounded like the armourer was assessing Jensen's level of skill and experience with guns, and have him pick out the one he wanted to use for the duration of the shoot, similar to the wrangler getting him to pick out his horse and see what kind of experience he had.

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 7

Especially after he talked about some of the on=set horseplay at the convention.

His anecdote was not about horseplay. His story actually seemed to point out that after he said he had "a little" experience with firearms, the person (in charge of the weapons) gave him a demonstration and instructions on the handling guns.

Regardless of what corners were cut, and the alleged inexperience of the armorer, Jensen's story doesn't paint a negative picture. 

• Love 12

I'm sure everyone involved with the film is way more concerned about making sure this doesn't happen again - whether that's being part of the legal proceedings or being an advocate for proper safety on the sets they work on going forward - than anything else. It's going to hopefully affect how everyone in the industry does things, but for the people who were there, I imagine they're going to make an even stronger effort. We can see that already with Kripke - he's been more affected by it because his friend is working on it, so he's already committed publicly to increasing safety on his own productions. 

I think, and hope, that this is going to be the takeaway that the industry has from this. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, MAK said:

His anecdote was not about horseplay. His story actually seemed to point out that after he said he had "a little" experience with firearms, the person (in charge of the weapons) gave him a demonstration and instructions on the handling guns.

Regardless of what corners were cut, and the alleged inexperience of the armorer, Jensen's story doesn't paint a negative picture. 

Yes the original entire segment was exactly that. By the time mainstream media was done with it Jensen's "joke" at the panel was manipulated to look like the weapons training on set was treated unprofessionally. And that is what was aired until that entire portion of the con video  was taken down.

And on that note I'm guessing Jared and the Walker production company probably wishes they hadn't put all the goofing around with guns in their gag reel.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

But that's the thing. It's just an Internet forum so if the one place he can't move on from being connected to this tragedy is here, it won't matter.

And I think it truly won't interfere with him, other than obviously emotionally. Where I wish him all the best and all the support he needs to recover. Which is why I wish he wouldn't do cons now so soon. He gets hatred from the vultures on a good day after cons, as if they would show any class or empathy now.

Yes.  If this results in people saying mean things about him on the internet, whether from ignorance or malice, then how is this different from the way things were before it happened? I mean, seriously, have you met the Supernatural fandom?

I guess I just have a totally different view of what I think Jensen is going to be concerned about. I do not believe that he is, or even should be, mainly concerned with "getting away from the production as quickly as he can" or do his best to walk away from everything completely. He is involved; he is already "entangled" in what happened. Not because CNN showed a snippet of the con video, or because he may have to talk to the police or even testify in court. But because he knew these people and worked with them, and experienced with them the tragic loss of someone that he liked and admired.

I only know Jensen as a fan, but I honestly believe that his priority is not going to be separating himself from what happened as soon as he can, so that no one connects his name to the tragedy; it will be to be supportive of those who need it, and to do what he can to make sure it doesn't happen again, whether that means responding to questions from the authorities or working to change the way things are done in the industry. And I don't see how this will damage him in the eyes of his family, his friends, or his co-workers, and that's what's important. He can't live his life in fear of what people on the internet might think or might be saying about him on social media.

3 hours ago, Aithne said:

I'm sure everyone involved with the film is way more concerned about making sure this doesn't happen again - whether that's being part of the legal proceedings or being an advocate for proper safety on the sets they work on going forward - than anything else. It's going to hopefully affect how everyone in the industry does things, but for the people who were there, I imagine they're going to make an even stronger effort. We can see that already with Kripke - he's been more affected by it because his friend is working on it, so he's already committed publicly to increasing safety on his own productions. 

I think, and hope, that this is going to be the takeaway that the industry has from this. 

Yes! I think and hope this as well!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

Yes the original entire segment was exactly that. By the time mainstream media was done with it Jensen's "joke" at the panel was manipulated to look like the weapons training on set was treated unprofessionally. And that is what was aired until that entire portion of the con video  was taken down.

And on that note I'm guessing Jared and the Walker production company probably wishes they hadn't put all the goofing around with guns in their gag reel.

I think if you asked a 1000 people who heard about this entire thing, maybe 2 could even remember Jensen's name. Even if they saw the clip on CNN.

As for Walker, this might look painfully unfunny now but it's nowhere near high profile enough to land on anyone's radar. 

Both Jensen and Jared aren't household names in either the entertainment buisness overall or for the general public. That's why I believe this will fade for Jensen. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, DeeDee79 said:

This is what I don't understand about all of this. Is it the Destiel fans that are still salty after the latest convention? Are they wishing ill on an actor because he doesn't support your ship? If this is so then IMO people need to scrutinize them, not Jensen.

The problematic Destiel fans/Misha people will take any opportunity to slam J2 they can. They are malignant. Of course it’s not all Destiel shippers but the really obnoxious ones are very noisy on Twitter/Tumblr. 

13 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

One of the biggest repercussions I see for Jensen personally is whatever show his own production company might ever make, (gun) safety will be super huge. 

SPN never had a incident in 15 years so I imagine he learned a lot from them. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

I think if you asked a 1000 people who heard about this entire thing, maybe 2 could even remember Jensen's name. Even if they saw the clip on CNN.

As for Walker, this might look painfully unfunny now but it's nowhere near high profile enough to land on anyone's radar. 

Both Jensen and Jared aren't household names in either the entertainment buisness overall or for the general public. That's why I believe this will fade for Jensen. 

You're right about that. The news conference today painted a very  grim picture of the unprofessional attitude on the set. Hopefully this tragedy will change the industry.

2 minutes ago, Binns said:

SPN never had a incident in 15 years so I imagine he learned a lot from them. 

That's not entirely true. S9 gag reel showed Alaina accidentally firing a gun on set. Scared the crap out of Mark Shepard who was also on set.

7 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

That's not entirely true. S9 gag reel showed Alaina accidentally firing a gun on set. Scared the crap out of Mark Shepard who was also on set.

It was a premature firing, pointed at the ground, and I assume it was a blank.  It was expected, just not quite then.  No one was hurt, just startled.  IIRC, both Alaina and Mark laughed.  There was no danger.  

Edited by ahrtee
  • Useful 1

One thing that was pointed out by someone dealing with their friend dying in their arms, that you need an experienced person for each department and not to cut corners in a budget.  This should never have happened.

In all the plays I produced and directed, our guns on stage changed from realistic looking to water guns..  No blanks were involved and when kids asked me can't we use them the answer was always no.  I always used the principal as the escape goat, I wasn't stupid.

But even my training and I don't have much with guns, is that you never point a gun at someone, period. 

1 hour ago, Bergamot said:

He is involved; he is already "entangled" in what happened. Not because CNN showed a snippet of the con video, or because he may have to talk to the police or even testify in court. But because he knew these people and worked with them, and experienced with them the tragic loss of someone that he liked and admired.

Well said.  I'm seeing clips where they are talking about will Alec face charges and the realistic possibility of whether he could go to jail.  Jensen isn't being talked about, and I doubt they would know who he is.  Jensen KNOWS to IGNORE Twitter and social media. 

Alec is the one having to live with killing someone and I doubt it will be an easy thing to do unless he is totally heartless, which I doubt.

Jensen will make sure something like this never happens again in anything he produces.

One of the most traumatic events in my life was my sister getting hit by a car.  To this day I still react if I see a kid in the street with a car in the road.  I'd rather be known as that crazy lady vs seeing another child hit by a car. 

Maybe this will get Hollywood back to being artistic vs being as realistic as possible.  My prayer is that it brings safety, so actors aren't hurt in stunts, one actor got run over by a car.  Or killed by something that should be safe but really wasn't.

I'm all for supporting having an experience person in each department.  The fact that people walked off the set prior to this incident makes it worse, and that is on the producers and most likely Alec.

Edited by 7kstar
  • Love 1

IA completely that there's no place for live ammo on any movie or TV set.  But there are other options (and not entirely CG effects--which would likely be too expensive for TV and low budget films.)  

The very fact that everyone is comparing this tragedy with Brandon Lee just shows how rare this kind of incident is.  Consider how many westerns, crime dramas, police/spy/superhero shows and movies have been produced since 1994, with no similar accidents?  To me, that shows that there are stringent safety rules in place, and they have been followed.  To me, that shows that maybe crew members were getting "complacent" (that was the term the Santa Fe sheriff used, I believe) and hopefully this will be a wakeup call to keep aware and alert at all times.  And keep live ammo away at all times.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

You're right about that. The news conference today painted a very  grim picture of the unprofessional attitude on the set. Hopefully this tragedy will change the industry.

Oh right. Was that a gun problem though or an actor problem? I suppose even if it was AH it might indicate she needed better training. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ahrtee said:

IA completely that there's no place for live ammo on any movie or TV set.  But there are other options (and not entirely CG effects--which would likely be too expensive for TV and low budget films.)  

The very fact that everyone is comparing this tragedy with Brandon Lee just shows how rare this kind of incident is.  Consider how many westerns, crime dramas, police/spy/superhero shows and movies have been produced since 1994, with no similar accidents?  To me, that shows that there are stringent safety rules in place, and they have been followed.  To me, that shows that maybe crew members were getting "complacent" (that was the term the Santa Fe sheriff used, I believe) and hopefully this will be a wakeup call to keep aware and alert at all times.  And keep live ammo away at all times.  

The AD was fired from a set in 2019 for an accidental discharge that injured a crew member and the Armorer also had a discharge incident on the Nicholas Cage set. They might not all end in tragedy but there are probably more accidents than we know about.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ahrtee said:

It was a premature firing, pointed at the ground, and I assume it was a blank.  It was expected, just not quite then.  No one was hurt, just startled.  IIRC, both Alaina and Mark laughed.  There was no danger.  

Actually she reached into a drawer and the gun went off. Mark's response was Aye yai yai. He didn't laugh and his face when he turned around and walked off set was not a happy one.

I remember thinking the first time I watched that clip that there was nothing funny about it. It seemed horrifying to me.

Edited by Casseiopeia
2 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

Actually she reached into a drawer and the gun went off. Mark's response was Aye yai yai. He didn't laugh and his face when he turned around and walked off set was not a happy one.

I remember thinking the first time I watched that clip that there was nothing funny about it. It seemed horrifying to me.

The gun obviously didn't have any dangerous ammo.  It didn't even damage the drawer.  Alaina flinched at the noise, then said "sorry" and laughed.  The crew laughed.  We couldn't see enough of Mark's face, but "oy oi oiy" is not an angry or frightened comment.   (Trust me--my grandpa used it enough.)

All I'm saying is that it wasn't anything that anyone took seriously, or it wouldn't have been in the gag reel.  You may have been horrified, but apparently the cast and crew weren't.   It doesn't prove anything about danger or misuse of weapons on the set.  

2 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

The gun obviously didn't have any dangerous ammo.  It didn't even damage the drawer.  Alaina flinched at the noise, then said "sorry" and laughed.  The crew laughed.  We couldn't see enough of Mark's face, but "oy oi oiy" is not an angry or frightened comment.   (Trust me--my grandpa used it enough.)

All I'm saying is that it wasn't anything that anyone took seriously, or it wouldn't have been in the gag reel.  You may have been horrified, but apparently the cast and crew weren't.   It doesn't prove anything about danger or misuse of weapons on the set.  

I just rewatched that clip just to make sure I wasn't misremembering it. I could definitely see Marks face. Point is it went off unexpectedly and I assume that many incidents that do cause injury happen far more frequently than we will ever know. The original statement was that there had never been a mishap on the set of Supernatural. That was a mishap.

I don't think any accidental discharge is funny. 

18 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

I just rewatched that clip just to make sure I wasn't misremembering it. I could definitely see Marks face. Point is it went off unexpectedly and I assume that many incidents that do cause injury happen far more frequently than we will ever know. The original statement was that there had never been a mishap on the set of Supernatural. That was a mishap.

I don't think any accidental discharge is funny. 

There have been several mishaps on the ‘SPN’ set.  From Jared breaking his wrist, to Jensen accidentally stabbing Jared and even his stunt double (who was portraying a demon during a fight).

• Love 1