Type keyword(s) to search

SuperNormal: Public Appearances, Tweets, Media And Other Social Media Of The SPN Cast

• Start Topic

Great news for Jensen. I loved season 1 of The Boys, and they keep giving me more reasons to tune in for Seasons 2 and 3 with the additions of Aya Cash, Shawn Ashmore and now Jensen. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

I've never watched The Boys but for the amount of buzz the show is getting today for a season that won't even air until 2021 I'm guessing that scoring Jensen was a bigger deal for Kripke than for Jensen.  I know there are other stars but I haven't seen this much buzz  as Jensen is getting today

IA.

And I've never watched either-mainly because I haven't been a big fan of Kripke's since the God awful S5 of Supernatural(IMO) and especially it's finale.

But I'll watch The Boys for Jensen-same as I did with My Bloody Valentine and hopefully he'll work his magic with this role, too-same as he did with Tom Hanniger for me. 

Just reading up on the comic book character, this certainly wouldn't have been my first choice for him as his first new role after Dean Winchester, but I  will say that it's not going to be anything like Dean so perhaps that's what he was thinking, too-time for a new, big acting challenge for him and, as usual, he's not shying away from that. So kudos to him for his boldness in that regard and Kripke and co are certainly far more lucky to have landed him than vice versa, IMO too.

And all the hoopla and trending around his being cast on the show is such a sweet, sweet balm to this Jensen fan. It's everything I've been waiting and hoping for as far as that's concerned since the last season of Supernatural was first announced.

So a Big YAY!! for Our Boy!! as far as that goes.

• Love 8

I just looked up Richard Kahan and he's listed as "Clerk" in Born Under a Bad Sign. Which for some reason makes me chuckle. I think he must have been the "What, am I speaking Urdu?" sassypants. 

• Love 2

One of the fun, random comments/likes on Jensen's Instagram announcement was from Finn Wolfhard (Stranger Things, IT, etc) which gave me a wtf moment until I remembered he played the kid whose mom got murdered in S11's "Thin Lizzie".

• Love 6
22 hours ago, PAForrest said:

Thanks for the info! Sounds interesting. I wonder if Kripke will tweak the character into a combo of both?

I'm actually hoping for this...

19 hours ago, Jakes said:

Fantastic news for Jensen...i'm going to have to get Amazon Prime now!  About the concern about the character being weak--I read they've tweaked other characters somewhat from the comic and they specifically said they wouldn't be surprised that Jensen's Soldier Boy is tweaked toward Jensen's strengths

And this, too-very much so-and not only because I want him to keep his nose, too! 😳🤞😉

I'm thrilled that he's on a streaming service program(and one that I already have, too!) and I also feel that this should and will likely only be stepping stone role for him.

So, SO! glad that he's left the CW. 

That's the best part of all this, IMO.

• Love 6

I`ve read some sour grapes how it is a huge step down for him from being a lead to being what I`m guessing is a recurring or special guest star. 

Well, he could have stayed a big fish in a small pond or he could have gone to the big pond - where he couldn`t have expected to be a big fish, at least not just like that. The Boys has Karl Urban in it, a significant name IMO. There is no shame in being a small fish in that pond. 

Since the airing of the third Season is probably two years away still, there is even a chance, we see him in something else sooner even though he might shoot it later.   

• Love 5

I believe from all I have seen and read of Jensen over the years that he is not in any sense conceited and seems to be a very down to earth and genuinely nice person. So if he is happy, which he seemed to be, then I am happy for him although as I have said previously I would have wished him a more mainstream role (although I love S1 of The Boys), of course that is still on the cards.

I do also think The Boys are lucky to have him, he has by FAR the biggest fan following on social media, Karl Urban has less than 1m followers on either Twitter (very few followers) or Instagram which really did surprise me, I thought it would be much higher.

I am very much one fan that is hoping to see Jensen in something else as well long before the third season of The Boys comes out – possibly not until 2022 – I can't possibly wait that long to get a dose of Jensen Ackles!

• Love 6

While it would have been cool to see Jensen as the lead in a big A-List project (and he has the talent to do it), I think this is a good first step.  As much as we love SPN and Jensen and praise his talents, he's not a big name, and on a show not many of heard of. 

On the CW he's a big fish in a small pond.  In mainstream Hollywood, he's a little fish in in a big pond.

So by taking a role, where the success/failure of his show isn't on his shoulders, it gives him a chance to stretch those acting muscles, get his name out there, allow his talent to speak for itself, and hopefully continue on to big things.

The Boys is the most popular show on amazon.  Its not like its another small unheard of Show.

At the Golden Globes, after parties, Jensen attended the WB, Amazon and Disney.  So I'm hoping the Disney thing was for a reason too.

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, bethy said:

Maybe I'll give The Boys another try. For Jensen. 🙂 And maybe if I go in with different expectations, I'll like it better. 

It's hard, in a way, because I did love Supernatural. But I know that it's time for Jensen to move on. And even if he had chosen a show just like Supernatural, with all the same components that I loved about it, it still wouldn't be the same. Supernatural was special to me, but I think it was unique, in the way all the elements came together, and I don't think it could be recreated. Time for something new.

And I freely admit that "The Boys" is probably not a show that I would have chosen to watch otherwise. But I definitely will now, and I am excited to see what Jensen does with it! I am also excited at the idea of sharing my enjoyment of Jensen with new viewers who don't know him and have never had the pleasure of watching him on the screen! Welcome to them all! (I don't have Instagram, so I don't know much about it, but I saw where someone said that Jensen has 10,000 new followers on Instagram since yesterday?)

I found an article that has an interview with Kripke -- they talk about the 3rd season of "The Boys" but don't mention Jensen. (They do talk about Jeffrey Dean Morgan in the interview.) I'm not sure where I should put it since it is not really Supernatural Media -- I guess I will link in the Cast In Other Roles thread.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

As much as we love SPN and Jensen and praise his talents, he's not a big name, and on a show not many of heard of.

Maybe but Jensen is getting a ton of buzz, way more than The Boys ever did about this move. It was trending #1 on entertainment tweets yesterday.  Like I said this is a much bigger get for Eric Kripke than for Jensen. I think Jensen is held in a much greater regard than we realize.

Edited by Casseiopeia
  • Love 7

In terms of buzz, it certainly seems like the announcement was intended to coincide with the drop of season 2 of The Boys in a couple of weeks. At least I feel I just started seeing ads for it along with Jensen’s announcement. (Although maybe that’s the internet ad goblins reacting to my clicking on articles about it. *shudders*) Buzz for Jensen and the show.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Myrelle said:

I'm thrilled that he's on a streaming service program(and one that I already have, too!) and I also feel that this should and will likely only be stepping stone role for him.

So, SO! glad that he's left the CW. 

That's the best part of all this, IMO.

I agree with all of this! There's so much good content on Amazon Prime and he can do so much more on a show that doesn't have the limitations of network tv.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Bergamot said:

And I freely admit that "The Boys" is probably not a show that I would have chosen to watch otherwise. But I definitely will now, and I am excited to see what Jensen does with it! I am also excited at the idea of sharing my enjoyment of Jensen with new viewers who don't know him and have never had the pleasure of watching him on the screen! Welcome to them all! (I don't have Instagram, so I don't know much about it, but I saw where someone said that Jensen has 10,000 new followers on Instagram since yesterday?)

Just for info Jensen has 8.1 million followers on Instagram so an extra 10,000 is not really a lot in the scheme of things!

• Love 1
On 8/17/2020 at 3:51 PM, S Cook Productions said:

I was absolutely thrilled when I saw Jensen's instagram today! I love "The Boys", I love Karl Urban, and I love Jensen! This is a show that I'm already invested in, and having Jensen on it will only make it better. I'm so happy with this news! I knew he had to have something lined up, and was just waiting for the all clear to say something. He's just too much of a talent to not immediately be swiped up for something else.

I've enjoyed Karl Urban since way back in his "Xena: Warrior Princess" days.

I don't do streaming services or premium channels, though, (my cable is ridiculously expensive as it is) so if it isn't on regular cable, I doubt I will be seeing it. It sounds not quite my kind of thing anyway. I do off the wall, and I'll  like a jerk character sometimes (Jayne is one of my favorite Firefly characters after all) but my jerk-type characters tend to need to change a little bit... think "My Name Is Earl."

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Icarus said:

Just for info Jensen has 8.1 million followers on Instagram so an extra 10,000 is not really a lot in the scheme of things!

I know its not a lot, but it is a significant jump in the space of day, especially following the announcement.

• Love 6
On 8/17/2020 at 2:17 PM, Aeryn13 said:

I don`t mind that it is a show with unlikeable characters. Just hoping they will take some major liberties with the source material in this case. Make him evil, great, just not weak.

As for working with Kripke, well, Jared is working with Carver (and the CW) so it`s not like either one branched out. Networking and connections are a big part of the buisness. Most times it just might not be so obvious to the viewer. I`m sure Jensen could have had a show on the CW if he wanted as Pedowitz really was keen on keeping both. I`m happy he is branching out from it. He is kinda outgrowing the network age-wise. Jared is, too, but since they make him a dad of teen kids, maybe they will be trying to write for that crowd simulteaneously.

What I`m truly happy for is that Jensen is getting some positive coverage right now. The announcement is dropping everywhere. 

Jared is working with Anna Fricke, Carver's wife. I haven't seen that Carver has any affiliation with this. He is show running Doom Patrol. Jared has always seemed a CW gusy to me.

Jensen obviously not because Warner tapped him for  a main role in its biggest superhero franchise and he couldn't do it because he was  tied down by a network show. THIS IS A SHORT RUN SHOW AND MAkES TIME FOR FILMS. I am sure he still remains on Warner's shortlist. He was in the mix for Cap and Starlord and was offered Hawkeye. Now he is playing a superhero. Warner is still making movies and they love Jensen. 

My husband says they are retooling the source material for some characters. That said, Jensen may be happy for something that shows a different range.

People know he's a great actor. I have always thought he would be a much better Starlord. Gizmodo commenters are talking about how he would have been the better Hawkeye on their article on the Boys casting. This site typically mocks Supernatural as utter trash.

Edited by Castiels Cat
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Didn't Jared, as producer, basically hire himself? LOL!

For my own selfish reasons, I'd love to see Jensen in another 23 episode/season series because I miss him when he's not on my tv. But I think this is probably perfect for him, with the brewery and the music and the young family. And, please baby cheeses, a film role or two besides!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

For my own selfish reasons, I'd love to see Jensen in another 23 episode/season series because I miss him when he's not on my tv. But I think this is probably perfect for him, with the brewery and the music and the young family. And, please baby cheeses, a film role or two besides!

LOL right? 

Come through for us, Babybel!

babybel-cheese-packed-1024x702.jpg

• LOL 6

I would love to see Jensen in something set in the past - I thought he was particularly good in the WW2 and Eliot Ness episodes, and he was seriously dapper in the outfits!

Edited by ukgirl71
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, ukgirl71 said:

I would love to see Jensen in something set in the past - I thought he was particularly good in the WW2 an Eliot Ness episodes, and he was seriously dapper in the outfits?

Too funny, I just mentioned this in another thread. I think Soldier Boy was supposed to have served in WWII (like Captain America)? So if he's 'super human' and doesn't age, he could pretty much have any look. I am so curious to find out, and I wonder if Kripke gave Jensen any input into the look.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Too funny, I just mentioned this in another thread. I think Soldier Boy was supposed to have service in WWI (like Captain America)? So if he's 'super human' and doesn't age, he could pretty much have any look. I am so curious to find out, and I wonder if Kripke gave Jensen any input into the look.

Yeah I wonder if what they are going to do is, rather than having Soldier Boy 1(already dead) and 2(copy cat), it's going to be an even more direct take off of Captain America with them discovering the original one "in ice" so to speak(doesn't need to be ice, but some sort of suspended animation, something that made people believe he was dead and/or kept him out of action all this time), maybe incorporate aspects of both Soldiers Boys into the one character(he can still be easily manipulated but maybe instead of being because he's stupid like V 2.0, because he's arrogant like the original one, that sort of thing,)

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

Yeah I wonder if what they are going to do is, rather than having Soldier Boy 1(already dead) and 2(copy cat), it's going to be an even more direct take off of Captain America with them discovering the original one "in ice" so to speak(doesn't need to be ice, but some sort of suspended animation, something that made people believe he was dead and/or kept him out of action all this time), maybe incorporate aspects of both Soldiers Boys into the one character(he can still be easily manipulated but maybe instead of being because he's stupid like V 2.0, because he's arrogant like the original one, that sort of thing,)

Maybe, since apparently it's a legacy title not a specific person, they can make him SB3 (who is trying to atone for everything his predecessors did wrong). 

I don't know how many people know the original characters but it seems to me they can do whatever they want with a reimagining of characters in a new show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

Maybe, since apparently it's a legacy title not a specific person, they can make him SB3 (who is trying to atone for everything his predecessors did wrong). 

I don't know how many people know the original characters but it seems to me they can do whatever they want with a reimagining of characters in a new show.

I don't know, Kripke did mention he was playing the FIRST superhero celebrity so I think Jensen's Soldier Boy is supposed to be V 1.0  The name is a legacy name but only one of the people with that name was the first and it doesn't appear there has been another Soldier Boy yet in the show's universe.  Admittedly Kripke might just have been using shorthand so as not to reveal too many plot points before the season is even filmed(or possibly even finished being written) but if what he said was true, then it sounds like Jensen is the original.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

I don't know, Kripke did mention he was playing the FIRST superhero celebrity so I think Jensen's Soldier Boy is supposed to be V 1.0  The name is a legacy name but only one of the people with that name was the first and it doesn't appear there has been another Soldier Boy yet in the show's universe.  Admittedly Kripke might just have been using shorthand so as not to reveal too many plot points before the season is even filmed(or possibly even finished being written) but if what he said was true, then it sounds like Jensen is the original.

I read that a while ago some audition tapes for Soldier Boy leaked. But I don’t know the content of the scenes.

• Love 3

Happy for Jensen, as it sounds like the best of both worlds for him.  He will have time to do other things, the schedule won't be as hard as Supernatural early days.  It will give a chance for those that don't know him to see his potential.  Not sure if I will, but I'm letting go of cable because I have to make cuts since I retired.  Most of my shows I watch are only on the CBS.  I've got amazon prime for now but admit I'm binge watching a  lot of BBC old shows, Robin Hood, Sherlock and Merlin.  

So I look forward to seeing what happens next.  The Boys isn't a show I'm willing to pay for, so if it cost extra on prime...well that will be a killer.  But Jensen always seems to land on his feet and I hope that this will be the beginning for him to move up towards the A list actors.   If Ryan Gosling, can move up in the ranks from his Young Hercules days, so can Jensen.  Will just have to wait to see.  But at least he is still acting and didn't go behind the scenes.  So that is good news.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Just started watching shows on Prime, some have the first season free or all but it changes.  I can watch season 1 of Musketeers free but 2 and 3 have to pay.  So I haven't checked out their original stuff yet, so that is good to know.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 7kstar said:

Just started watching shows on Prime, some have the first season free or all but it changes.  I can watch season 1 of Musketeers free but 2 and 3 have to pay.  So I haven't checked out their original stuff yet, so that is good to know.

I have season one on my watchlist and tonight I saw that they added the option to include season two when it premieres as well. It was also free of charge 😊

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

On Prime, Prime Originals(which The Boys is) are always included with the service, you won't pay extra for them.  Anything else that is marked "Prime" is also free, but may change to being pay.  There are also other streaming services that charge monthly fees available through Prime.  Like Britbox - that costs 6.99 a month but if sign up for it, you can watch anything that included in the Britbox service for that price(or Acorn is another one that focuses on British series).  

For example there was an old Hammer horror movie I've been wanting to watch for a while.  For the last year, it's only been available for extra, to rent/buy.  So I've been hoping it would go onto Prime.  The other day I came across it while browsing and right now, it is free on Prime. So I watched it.  But it will probably end up changing back to rent/buy at some point.  There was a Gary Cooper movie I watched last year, it was on Prime, then next time I saw it, it was only available to rent/buy and now it's back on Prime again.  It's very changeable.  But basically that's how it works.

Anything marked as actual being Prime content - is included with the Amazon Prime subscription at no extra charge.  Amazon Prime Original content is always included with Prime membership.  So if you are paying for Amazon Prime right now, even if you've only been using mainly for shipping,  you can watch The Boys, or any other Prime content, for no extra charge - either through Amazon on your computer, phone or tablet, or through a Fire Stick/Roku type device.  Not all current Amazon Prime content are Amazon Originals but the Original are specifically made for Prime members(or in the hopes of getting people to sign up for Prime membership to watch the show) so that's why they are always included in the price.

There are streaming services available through Prime where you can subscribe to a service or channel for a set monthly fee and can watch all of that services programs, included in the subscription fee(if you don't have the particular streaming service a show might be on, you will most likely still be able to rent or buy it).  

There are movies/tv show, etc available only to rent or buy.  Many programs will change from rent/buy to Prime and back again, sometimes on multiple occasions if you are checking for them long enough.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 8/19/2020 at 10:16 AM, gonzosgirrl said:

Yes and no. 

Yes, this is the vehicle he's chosen for his next project.  He's taking control of it and producing.  But Pedowitz was REALLY wanting J2 back on his network and made that clear -- so, IMO, something else was likely to come up if not this.  

No, because having a pitch (and that's ALL it was -- they didn't film a pilot) is a dime a dozen in Hollywood.  It was picked up, without a pilot, and ordered straight to series.  So, it's unambiguously a "Jared" vehicle, but it was good enough for that order.  If it was iffy, they would have demanded a pilot -- which would have cost Jared dollars.

Jared has had his ups and downs but there's been more than one indicator that that he was always after producing someday.  And that he and Gen are savvy sales people.  She's got a clothing line at Kolh's for pities sake.  How many  Social Media influencers actually pull THAT of?  

In sum, just because he is producing doesn't mean it was a gimme.  Supernatural had it's budget offset by WB because CW couldn't afford the series.  Jared is not likely to be bringing cash to the table to PAY the CW to air his episodes.  That means he's created a budget that CW thinks they can sell advertising for combined with revenue from streaming.  I'd be interested to know what kind of rights did he retain in terms of DVD et al. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Is the US  version of Prime the same as Canadian? Anyone know?

Because Canadian Netflix, for instance, offers about a quarter of US Netflix offerings but I think the price is higher. Supernatural isn’t available on 🇨🇦Netflix. 😡 YouTubers often hype movies on Netflix, but when I check none of them are on the Canadian version. I love being Canadian but we really get screwed sometimes.

When season 3 begins I’ll quit Netflix and sign on for Prime. The free shipping isn’t worth it as most of the items I order don’t qualify anyway. 

All these burgeoning streaming services are just a cash grab. Soon we’ll be forking out for YouTube.

/getting off soapbox now.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

Is the US  version of Prime the same as Canadian? Anyone know?

Because Canadian Netflix, for instance, offers about a quarter of US Netflix offerings but I think the price is higher. Supernatural isn’t available on 🇨🇦Netflix. 😡 YouTubers often hype movies on Netflix, but when I check none of them are on the Canadian version. I love being Canadian but we really get screwed sometimes.

When season 3 begins I’ll quit Netflix and sign on for Prime. The free shipping isn’t worth it as most of the items I order don’t qualify anyway. 

All these burgeoning streaming services are just a cash grab. Soon we’ll be forking out for YouTube.

I believe Prime is Prime at least as far as US/CAN goes.  For sure we get The Boys though.

FYI go ahead and Google YouTube Premium. 😕

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

Takes your soapbox for myself for a moment...

I think television costs too much now as it is, so I don't Netflix, Amazon Prime***, or any other streaming service. Peacock would be the only one that might tempt me - because I love NBC shows,### and it's supposedly free - but even that means I'd have to get a new remote, and that interests me about as much as a kick in the head.

I do On Demand, but find it more and more difficult to find movies I'm interested in. There will be a couple hundred movies and I might find 2 free movies that I want to watch.

So no matter how tempting it might be, there's little to no chance I'll see The Boys unless it somehow repeats on a cable channel.

*** (I don't even buy things for myself from Amazon - I did a couple of times for someone else - and hate buying stuff online unless I have to. Exception: EBay, because there are lots of photos, so I generally know what I'm getting with the few categories of things I buy on EBay which is vintage costume jewelry and vintage buttons.)

### Especially if they had some older, often overlooked gems like News Radio or Just Shoot Me. ("Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot piiiiie!"^^^ - I think Dean would approve.) And I'd love to see the completely bonkers Passions again. Timmy, *sniff* - darn allergies.

^^^ That episode was so, so wrong, but so funny.

Edited by AwesomO4000

I think there’s going to be some disappointed con attendees next year because I have a hard time believing both J’s are going to be able to show up to all these postponed Creation Cons.  I think there are like 14 of them.  I’m actually pretty surprised they had signed up for that many.  And there’s still the matter of ComicCon and maybe a JibCon?

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, BlueSapphire said:

I think there’s going to be some disappointed con attendees next year because I have a hard time believing both J’s are going to be able to show up to all these postponed Creation Cons.  I think there are like 14 of them.  I’m actually pretty surprised they had signed up for that many.  And there’s still the matter of ComicCon and maybe a JibCon?

I don't intend to ever give Creation more money, but I also don't believe for a moment that Jensen or Jared would sign on for post-series cons if they didn't intend to honor the commitment. I'm sure they both worked the con weekends into whatvever contracts they signed. I'm not surprised at all that they are doing them- it's a pretty large chunk of their income.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, ukgirl71 said:

They really need to cut back on the number of cons.

Why though? The guys make good money off them - and the fans that go can't seem to get enough. Personally, I think the Creation rates are ridiculous (yet I have been to four cons on Gold tickets) and I can't see myself ever spending that kind of money again. But it is like pretty much every other hot commodity - it's worth what people will pay for it, and people just keep on paying and begging for more. If and when the Js are out from the exclusive Creation contracts they may do something more affordable, although I am sure Creation is working on getting The Boys now that one of their meal tickets is on board there. I see a couple of the fans who have made a cottage industry of SPN are moving in that direction already. :)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I don't intend to ever give Creation more money, but I also don't believe for a moment that Jensen or Jared would sign on for post-series cons if they didn't intend to honor the commitment. I'm sure they both worked the con weekends into whatvever contracts they signed. I'm not surprised at all that they are doing them- it's a pretty large chunk of their income.

Depending on how much longer the quarantine rules stay in place and if Jensen shoots in Toronto, just flying back for a specific weekend to the US might not be feasible.  

However, after the show ended, it was always a gamble to have so many cons announced. I think they will undoubtedly do as many as they can but maybe not all.      

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Depending on how much longer the quarantine rules stay in place and if Jensen shoots in Toronto, just flying back for a specific weekend to the US might not be feasible.  

However, after the show ended, it was always a gamble to have so many cons announced. I think they will undoubtedly do as many as they can but maybe not all.      

Yes, of course COVID changed all the rules - and I imagine with all the 2020 rescheduled events set to take place in 2021 now, they have written that kind contingency into the contracts. I was speaking to the notion that they wouldn't show up due to their new jobs, which was my inference from the post I replied to.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2