Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E23: Live Top 10 Eliminations

• Start Topic

From TV Guide:

Seven artists are revealed as safe by America's votes.  The bottom three artists perform for the Instant Save, and two are eliminated.  Season four winner Danielle Bradbury performs.

Discuss this one-hour results show here.  Remember -- three people will be facing elimination, with two of them falling victim to it.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 1

Current team rosters/cheat sheets:

Team Adam
Addison Agen (saved by America's votes)
Adam Cunningham (saved by America's votes)

Team Miley
Brooke Simpson (saved by America's votes)

Team Jennifer
Noah Mac (saved by America's votes)
Davon Fleming (saved by Twitter vote)

Team Blake
Keisha Renee (saved by America's votes)
Chloe Kohanski (saved by America's votes)
Red Marlow (saved by America's votes)

Ladies and gentlemen, these are the top eight.  These are the semifinalists of season thirteen.

• Love 2

It's funny, I don't consider Devon one of my favorites, but when I saw him in the Bottom 3, I realized how much I wanted him to stay. I didn't even care that much for his performance tonight, but I think he has an undeniable voice and at least the potential to deliver a great performance, whereas Ashland and Shi'Ann leave me totally cold. (Plus, as soon as I saw the bottom 3, I had a sinking the feeling that the two black contestants would be eliminated, so I"m glad be proven wrong about that.)

I don't remember anything about Ashland's performance, which is how I consistently feel about her.  And for all the hate Shi'Ann (or, to be more precise, her voice) gets on this board, I've never really been bothered by her until tonight. From the very beginning, where she was singing in a register that seemed way too low for her, to the end, when she added a Mariah embellishment that seemed completely out of place in the song, that was pretty awful. She seems really sweet though and I think she could do really well with training.

To me, the competition seems to be narrowing into a few tiers:

Frontrunners: Chloe, Addison (with an edge to Chloe)

Dark Horses: Noah, Brooke

Long Shots: Devon, Keisha, Red, Adam

• Love 7

Team Blake last team fully in tact again! Blake is very good at this show.

It was Ashland's time to go. For all the talk of Shi'Ann improving, she still needs a few years to get control of that voice. Davon was probably the strongest artist in that bottom 3. Biggest surprise was Adam C. not being in the bottom 3. I guess a country artist picking a country song last night worked.

• Love 4

I agree the right ones went home. And that Shi'Ann seems very sweet and has a lot of potential but just isn't quite there yet at her age. I hope she stays with it, dials back on the "tricks" and gets some good training.

I had a feeling Adam L. was kind of throwing Adam C. under the bus last night, making a big deal about him choosing his own songs being best (when we know Adam normally is pretty controlling and very competitive. I didn't feel Adam C was all that laudatory last week--and their chemistry seems off. So I was glad to see that, choosing his own song per Adam L, he stayed out of the bottom this week.   And, while I don't dislike Adam L, I really think he needs to take a break. .

I can't imagine Red won't be going home next week. Or is that the big purge week?  Seems awfully soon, but I lose track.

• Love 3

Stunned both Adam and Red got through. Listening to them carry on when Adam was saved you'd think he walked on water or something. With 2 country artists still in and splitting that vote, and the field narrowing, I'm guessing at least one, if not both, will be out before the finals.

When are finals if next week is the semifinals and 8 are still singing?

I still miss Emily.

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Padma said:

I agree the right ones went home. And that Shi'Ann seems very sweet and has a lot of potential but just isn't quite there yet at her age. I hope she stays with it, dials back on the "tricks" and gets some good training.

I had a feeling Adam L. was kind of throwing Adam C. under the bus last night, making a big deal about him choosing his own songs being best (when we know Adam normally is pretty controlling and very competitive. I didn't feel Adam C was all that laudatory last week--and their chemistry seems off. So I was glad to see that, choosing his own song per Adam L, he stayed out of the bottom this week.   And, while I don't dislike Adam L, I really think he needs to take a break. .

I can't imagine Red won't be going home next week. Or is that the big purge week?  Seems awfully soon, but I lose track.

I don't think Adam L.'s ego would let him write off Adam C. just yet.  I actual thought the Adams had good rapport with that whole nickname thing. Adam L. will do that whole self-deprecating thing when it serves his purpose, like selling his artist as the best thing ever.

I think next week is those killer cuts. I'm ready for it. 

• Love 1

From the very beginning, where she was singing in a register that seemed way too low for her, to the end, when she added a Mariah embellishment that seemed completely out of place in the song, that was pretty awful. She seems really sweet though and I think she could do really well with training.

Those first notes were really off. It actually hurt my ears and I winced.  I can hear a good voice in there, but like you and others have noted, just needs training because she still so very young. Got to control and know how to use it correctly because the kid can sing.

Looking at the iTunes leaders, looks like they didn't lie. The lowest three were standing right there tonight. I was hoping Ashland would make it but knew that Davon would probably would take it.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Nice opening performance.  I'd heard Portugal the Man's song on DWTS earlier this season, and there was a nice jive done to it by Terrell Owens and Cheryl Burke.

Were the teams inspired by Miley always being close to her team?  

The results didn't start off too badly.  Brooke being safe was a given.  She got the multiplier last night, so that was obvious.  Addison was also a no-brainer, as she also got it.

The next block was no surprise, either.  Keisha also got the multiplier, so her safety was a given, too.  Noah didn't get the multiplier, but he charted very high, so his survival made sense.  And he's probably Jennifer's most popular artist and her best shot at winning, so she should treasure him like gold and give up on Davon.

It was so nice to see Matthew Schuler, Mary Sarah, and Alisan again.  Matt McAndrew, not so much.  Don't know who Chris Mann is, though.  Interesting prize for the winner to be included with this new Voice Vegas location.  Also great to see Chris Blue again, and it was good to see him and Alicia meeting with Republic Records!  And he and Stephanie are now married, and he's done three sold-out concerts?  Great job for him!  I hope he continues doing well!

Aaaaaaaand here's where the results started to go south.  Chloe surviving wasn't a shock at all, given her charting the second-highest of the group on iTunes.  But . . . really?!  REALLY?!  That boring performance of Adam's got him through WITHOUT needing another Instant Save?!  WHAAAAAAAAT?!  Well, he is absolutely going to go next week without even getting the chance for an Instant Save unless his duet (which will be with either Red or Ashland, as I would bet my life on that) does really well.  Or he's gone if he makes the middle three to sing for the final Instant Save.

Never seen season four, so I didn't know about Danielle, but damn, does she sound pretty damn good.  I can see why she won that season.

And the final safe call-out . . . goes to Red.  So these results went from acceptable to . . . well . . . not really terrible, but less acceptable.  Also, about Blake:

45 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Team Blake last team fully in tact again! Blake is very good at this show.

No.  No, he isn't, and you'll never convince me of that.  He's simply lucky to be as popular as he is.  Almost any artist who chooses him gets some unspoken "Team Blake Immunity" that carries him or her at least to the semifinals unscathed.  That's it.  I have, completely by accident (no lie -- just an accident!), stumbled across several people's voting accounts and found them just automatically voting for no other contestants but Blake's precisely because they're on his team and they love him, not his artists.  Why else would Aliyah Moulden and TSoul make it so undeservedly far last season?  Or Courtney Harrell the season before?  Or Paxton Ingram the season before that?

Anyway, with that rant over, the bottom three were Ashland, Davon, and Shi'Ann, and Jennifer was not happy to have two of her artists there.  It was written all over her face.

I didn't really care for any of the Instant Save performances.  I figured out what started to bother me about Ashland over her final few weeks in the competition.  She has a good voice, but she doesn't have the ability to really connect to her songs or to the audience unless someone helps her to sort of link her to that connection or help draw it out of her (like her team performance with Miley, Brooke, and Janice last week).  She only gives, like, sixty or seventy percent instead of all one-hundred.  Shi'Ann . . . wasn't good at all.  Etta James's "At Last" was not the song for her to do.  And Davon was shaky, but at least he was less shaky than Ashland or Shi'Ann.

In the end, as much as I wanted one or both of Adam and Red gone, of the three available to eliminate, the right one survived.  Davon has a powerful voice and, with a better performance, he could get better and might actually stand a chance at the finals (or at least the final Instant Save performance).  Ashland was average, at best, and horribly inconsistent, at worst, and I don't think that she was ever going to shake off the fans who wanted karmic justice for Miley saving her over Moriah at the Playoffs.  Miley can spout that bullshit about standing behind her choices regarding Ashland and not regretting any of them all she wants.  Her choices are why Ashland ended up where she did, and why she only has one artist left now.  And Shi'Ann was a rank amateur who had no business reaching the Lives in the first place.  Either Chris Weaver or Hannah Mrozak was robbed of a rightful, more deserved spot.  I'm only mildly going to miss Ashland.  But I won't miss Shi'Ann at all.

Just a barely-below-par episode.

24 minutes ago, Padma said:

Yes.  Next week is the bloodbath week.

14 minutes ago, Valny said:

Looking at the iTunes leaders, looks like they didn't lie. The lowest three were standing right there tonight. I was hoping Ashland would make it but knew that Davon would probably would take it.  

I noticed that, too.  For once, in a rare instance, iTunes actually reflected who is and isn't being felt.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 2

The bottom 3 on votes were also the bottom 3 on iTunes.  So no big surprise there.

Star Aristille mentioned last week that they are going alphabetical for twitter save.  But Davon got to sing last this week.  So they obviously are not going alphabetical.  I think the show really wanted to save Davon.  They let him sing after Shi'Ann.

4 minutes ago, LakeGal said:

Star Aristille mentioned last week that they are going alphabetical for twitter save.  But Davon got to sing last this week.  So they obviously are not going alphabetical.  I think the show really wanted to save Davon.  They let him sing after Shi'Ann.

Yes, that was exactly what they wanted.  They knew that Ashland and Shi'Ann had literally no chance of winning, while Davon at least had something of a chance, so they wanted him safe.  But last week and the week before, it was definitely alphabetical.

I guess next week's middle three will also be dependent upon whom the producers want in the finale, depending on how the voted-through results go.

Also, a fun fact: With Shi'Ann gone, Davon is Jennifer's only original member left.  Noah is a Battle steal from Blake, not an original member of her team.  When (not if) Davon goes next week, Jennifer will only be left with a steal.

Okay, so since I only watch this show for a few minutes at a time when I forget to change the channel, I actually had never watched the part of the show when Shi'Ann actually sings so I'm late to the party, but-

HOLY FUCK WTF was that? This is how she normally sounds? I couldn't stop cracking up after my initial shock. What a mess. That was just awkward. The voice and the person don't go together, but not in a "wow, how amazing!" kind of way. More of a "wait, she's not just lip syncing to an older woman who is off-key and trying to be an alto?"

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 7

I think this show must be rigged. I don’t see how Red even got on this show to begin with and now he is STILL on it??? Who is voting for this guy? He is so boring, has no charm at all and frankly is pretty difficult to look at. I just don’t get it AT ALL!

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, windtrix said:

I think this show must be rigged. I don’t see how Red even got on this show to begin with and now he is STILL on it??? Who is voting for this guy? He is so boring, has no charm at all and frankly is pretty difficult to look at. I just don’t get it AT ALL!

Frankly, it's at the point where I don't even think that many fans really like him.  He's just getting votes from being on Blake's team.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Valny said:

Those first notes were really off. It actually hurt my ears and I winced.  I can hear a good voice in there, but like you and others have noted, just needs training because she still so very young. Got to control and know how to use it correctly because the kid can sing.

34 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

Me, too. And I kept wincing...and, at the same time, feeling sorry for her.

Hey, did you know she's only 15?

My heart sank when I saw that she was going to be performing "At Last." I was cringing for her, she sounded off-key and stripped the song of any nuance. I think she knew she did poorly, in her mad dash off the stage -- suave move of Carson's to pull her back on, quite literally--to get her coach's notes.

That said, it was kind of Jennifer to remind both her artists after the twitter vote that she had been voted off in seventh place. I also hope that Shi'Ann can get the training she needs. I feel like we watched her go through a growth spurt onstage over the course of this competition, but it just wasn't ever going to catch her up with the other contestants in time.

I wasn't a fan of the Danielle performance, but it had more to do with the monotony of the song rather than her voice. I did like her glittery microphone. 

Wasn't familiar with Portugal the Man before this show, but liked them. Also wondered if Adam L was having moustache envy--the lead singer pulled off that look that Adam was trying so hard with weeks ago. I am also enjoying his pawing at Carson lately while Carson gamely ignores him--Carson's really good at his job ! (see again Carson's reining Shi'Ann back onto the stage after her disastrous Twitter Save performance).

• Love 2

When the first notes for "At Last" queued up, I was yelling at my TV, "Oh no, she is not, not this song!"

It was about as awful a performance as I've heard from her and that is saying something.

She's a beautiful young woman and I think there may be a good voice in there under all the bleating and an all over the place register, including throwing in random whistle notes that, sorry, don't sound anything like Mariah (who could nail them and then some when she was a mere three years older and signed by Columbia Records) or the purposeful cracks (again, unless you're as adept at them as say, Sia, don't even go there).

She would need an awful lot of vocal training though and for starters, she needs to strip away all of that (circling my hand in the air) that was likely something whoever was helping her previously taught her and was encouraged ad nauseam by Jennifer. 

I could not have cared less who went home between Ashland and Devon although I can see why he was saved, but he does nothing for me. 

I could say the same for Red, but he's got the old-school country contingent sewn up so he survives this round.

Ashland and Chloe are starting to become interchangeable to me so I don't see both of them making it to the finale. 

I still really like Brooke and Noah (but the latter needs to worry more about the actual singing vs the arrangement). 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

When the first notes for "At Last" queued up, I was yelling at my TV, "Oh no, she is not, not this song!"

That song has been done to death.  Hope to not hear it anytime soon again.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, sweetcookieface said:

(Plus, as soon as I saw the bottom 3, I had a sinking the feeling that the two black contestants would be eliminated, so I"m glad be proven wrong about that.)

Same. 

To me, the competition seems to be narrowing into a few tiers:

Frontrunners: Chloe, Addison (with an edge to Chloe)

Dark Horses: Noah, Brooke

Long Shots: Devon, Keisha, Red, Adam

I agree with this. I'm so pumped because I love Chloe, Addison, Noah, and Brooke a lot and I would be ecstatic if they could be F4. I don't think I've ever loved all of the F4 on any competition show I've ever watched. I'm really afraid of Red knocking one of them out though. Or Keisha, but I like Keisha enough so that wouldn't be too bad.

So next week they get rid of 4 and there's 4 in the finale, right?

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

Feels like I've been listening to that Portugal. The Man song forever and now it is finally hitting the mainstream.  I thought it was the same band as Electric Guest but apparently they are two different bands with very similar lead singers, who have toured together.  TIL.

I fast forwarded Shi'Ann after the first two notes.

• Love 4

I would have preferred Red in the bottom 3 rather than Davon.  As it was, I thought all three save performances were poor.  Ashland and Shi'Ann were excruciating, while at least Davon wasn't horrible (which is about the best I can say about that one).

Add me to those who want to see a final with Chloe, Addison, Brooke, and Noah, though I might accept Keisha in Noah's place if she outperforms him next week.  The problem is that I have trouble seeing a final without even one country artist.  I don't think that's happened since Season 2, before all the country fans switched over to this show from Idol.

17 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Nice opening performance.  I'd heard Portugal the Man's song on DWTS earlier this season, and there was a nice jive done to it by Terrell Owens and Cheryl Burke.

It was so nice to see Matthew Schuler, Mary Sarah, and Alisan again.  Matt McAndrew, not so much.  Don't know who Chris Mann is, though.  Interesting prize for the winner to be included with this new Voice Vegas location. 

First, I also liked the Portugal the Man's song, even if there was a little too much falsetto for my tastes.  I'd liked to see what a female singer could do with that song.  Maybe it will happen next season.

Chris Mann is a former failed opera singer who came on the voice to try to make a career in pop.  He was Christina's finalist in Season 2.  Many have speculated he's the reason that they stopped mandating that one singer from each team make the final.  There were howls of protests from viewers that Mann was ushered into the final off a very weak team, while CeeLo's much more popular (and talented) Jamar Rogers was eliminated in semifinals because he had the misfortune of being on the same team as the incomparable Juliet Simms.  Mann had a technically precise classically trained voice, but it didn't help that he came off as quite stiff and a bit snobby in the early episodes, before someone obviously talked him into loosening up.  In some ways, he was kind of like a male version of this season's Emily.

Mann did put out a moderately successful album covering some very schmaltzy pop classics (very Vegas, now that I think about it).  It was actually the top selling post The Voice album in terms of US sales for a short time, barely edging out Season One's Dia Frampton (though he didn't come close to matching Dia if you add in international sales, since she had a couple of singles that went Top 10 in various Asian countries.)   Of course, Cassadee Pope promptly blew right by both of them with her first album after Season 3.

• Love 2

I just heard Shi'Ann. OMG, that was so painful. I blame Jennifer. How did she not stop that? How did she not choose a song she could actually sing (not struggle with the notes, do unsuccessful runs, go flat, yikes. It was so bad.)  But I blame Jennifer for having she do a song that was very much out of her ability for now.

Devon could be better too with different song choices, but at least he was in the ballpark.  Jennifer's coaching to excess reminds me a lot of Xtina.  She's not doing them any favors.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, tpplay said:

OMG.  That is some beautiful singing!

Surprised that Jennifer was done with poor little Shi Ann singing this really really difficult song.

Jennifer didn't choose it for her.  The artists choose their own Instant Save songs.

But I do think that Jennifer was done with her because she knew that she wouldn't win.  The comments getting thrown at her for keeping Shi'Ann and sacrificing the much better Chris Weaver and Hannah Mrozak were very much a wakeup call to her.  She knows by now that Noah is pretty much her only chance, at this point.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, viajero said:

Chris Mann is a former failed opera singer who came on the voice to try to make a career in pop.  He was Christina's finalist in Season 2.  Many have speculated he's the reason that they stopped mandating that one singer from each team make the final.  There were howls of protests from viewers that Mann was ushered into the final off a very weak team, while CeeLo's much more popular (and talented) Jamar Rogers was eliminated in semifinals because he had the misfortune of being on the same team as the incomparable Juliet Simms.  Mann had a technically precise classically trained voice, but it didn't help that he came off as quite stiff and a bit snobby in the early episodes, before someone obviously talked him into loosening up.  In some ways, he was kind of like a male version of this season's Emily.

Mann did put out a moderately successful album covering some very schmaltzy pop classics (very Vegas, now that I think about it).  It was actually the top selling post The Voice album in terms of US sales for a short time, barely edging out Season One's Dia Frampton (though he didn't come close to matching Dia if you add in international sales, since she had a couple of singles that went Top 10 in various Asian countries.)   Of course, Cassadee Pope promptly blew right by both of them with her first album after Season 3.

Ultimately talking about the biggest sales for a Voice contestant is like talking about which peanut is the largest. I don't remember these protests you're referring to though. I liked Jamar Rogers (he, Chris, and Jesse Campbell had the best voices that year, imo), but I definitely don't think he deserved to be Top 4 over Chris Mann. Tony Lucca or Jermaine are the contestants who should've been booted, if anyone.

I glanced in this thread to see thoughts about whoever it was that crapped all over "Hurt" and "Ain't No Way" the past two nights staying. The show clearly rigged it for him, otherwise why was a JHUD contestant singing last when the normal order means Miley's contestant should've been last? Eh, who cares, all the contestants this year are awful. Anyway, if I hadn't looked in here, I would've never heard about this. Chris Mann had just been touring as the Phantom of the Opera, btw. I remember Alisan and Matthew Schuler, but I wasn't really a fan of Alisan even though I was happy for Christina to win and I didn't like Matthew at all. The other two I don't remember. I've always been in and out of this show though.

• Love 1
On 12/5/2017 at 6:03 PM, Cindyluwho said:

Can't say I disagree with what happened, but I really want Red to be gone. 

Red and Adam both (although I like Adam better when he's not doing a song I know).  But I can't be too upset that Ashland and Shi'Ann are gone.

• Love 5