Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two: All Episodes Discussion - Where One Word Episode Titles Abound

Margaret Wartime?! That entire conversation at border patrol was hilarious.

The rest of the show was just okay. I hate that Kieth is truly dead and not in a coma or something. I'm also not crazy about the Chantal character being involved in season 2. Hopefully in small doses because she's the worst!

• Love 3

So happy to have this show back.  I myself was pleased to see Chantal, we really didn't get to find out much about her in Season One's finale.  Drew is going to become a big problem this season, he clearly resents being pulled into this and the hurt from Dory's betrayal is almost palpable.  To her credit, Portia was a loyal, supportive friend to Dory after the initial freak-out, I feel kinda bad that she's gotten sucked into this as well.  Despite their constant affirmations to the contrary, overall these are NOT nice people.

• Love 7

Mattieu's English vastly improved since the end of last season!

What the hell was with that Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, Whoops! Johnny Johnny game? Is that an actual thing? If it is, I hope to never encounter anyone in real life playing it.

I can see this is going to be way darker this time around. I don't know why I like these characters. They make Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer from "Seinfeld" look like humanitarians.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

This show excels at exploiting extreme awkwardness for laughs. Chantal's brother-in-law was a great example.

I hope this season doesn't dwell too much on Dory and Drew's relationship problems. I'd rather it focused elsewhere.

Were they were shopping for body-hiding supplies at a Menard's store? I keep hearing about that place as a Canadian institution, kind of like Tim Horton's.

I agree with crimsongrl that a little of Chantal goes a long way.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

What the hell was with that Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, Whoops! Johnny Johnny game? Is that an actual thing? If it is, I hope to never encounter anyone in real life playing it.

Seems like something fourth-graders would play, doesn't it?  Shows just how young our main protagonists actually are.

15 hours ago, possibilities said:

Fingerprints everywhere-- on the car, on the phone....

These people are like the goofy version of Annalise Keating's interns, minus Annalise.

They really are.  In addition to the fingerprints, you have the store clerk who knows what they bought, the woman on the train who saw Dory drop the phone, Matthieu who knows they were in Montreal, the border guard who has a photo of himself with Portia, their passports, etc.  

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Seelouis said:

They really are.  In addition to the fingerprints, you have the store clerk who knows what they bought, the woman on the train who saw Dory drop the phone, Matthieu who knows they were in Montreal, the border guard who has a photo of himself with Portia, their passports, etc.  

Yeah, they really needed a "fixer" / clean-up artist like...Winston Wolfe, lol.  When you look at the preponderance of the evidence, the Canadian cops would have to be pretty darn incompetent to not be able to connect the dots.

• Love 1
On 11/21/2017 at 9:43 AM, Seelouis said:

Drew putting the murder weapon in his backpack, leaving behind one of what I'm sure the owner of the house (if/when she comes back i kind of forgot that whole thing) knows is part of a pair.

• Love 4

On second watching I agree with everyone here; Chantal is basically as bad as Dory and her crew.  Although it may have been said for the wrong reason, Portia was spot on saying the lying about abuse is the absolute worst.  Given how poorly their tracks were covered, this shouldn't end well for Dory and friends.  But I'm hoping the producers don't go too far down the "I Know What You Did Last Summer" road.  Also, I see from the previews that Dory's asshole ex-boyfriend is back this Sunday.  Ugh.

• Love 2

I am feeling their anxiety like it's happening to me.

Maybe it's just because I like (as in, despite their flaws, have basic affection for) our four central characters, but I part company with everyone here who says they're awful people. I agree with our characters' self-assessment that they're basically good people. Who, driven by the best of intentions, have found themselves in a predicament with truly no good answers. If I didn't feel that, I don't think it would be possible for me to feel any suspense. And I do.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I think they believe they're good people.  Like most of us, they actually want to be good people.  But because of a combination of youthful ignorance, arrogance and millennial "know-it-all" -ism, they're falling waaaay short.  Maybe - if they somehow miraculously avoid jail - Keith's murder will put them on the path to becoming good people for reals?

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 11/25/2017 at 3:46 PM, Winston Wolfe said:

I think they believe they're good people.  Like most of us, they actually want to be good people.  But because of a combination of youthful ignorance, arrogance and millennial "know-it-all" -ism, they're falling waaaay short.  Maybe - if they somehow miraculously avoid jail - Keith's murder will put them on the path to becoming good people for reals?

I guess it all depends on what the meaning of "good" is. Our four main characters are certainly not Nobel Peace Prize Winners! Nor have any of them invented a cure for cancer. Nor would I put them even in the 95th percentile of goodness. But 85th percentile? Yeah, maybe! That is, as flawed as these four are, 85% of all Americans are easily more deplorable than they are. (Sadly.) This gives our characters a solid "B," which is good enough for "good" in my book. Which is why I actually care about them, don't think that jail time is warranted, and want to see them worm their way out of this somehow.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Nor would I put them even in the 95th percentile of goodness. But 85th percentile? Yeah, maybe!

Lots of parallels to the Good Place, I think.  Guess I relate to the core four because they remind me of myself at a comparable age.  Doing some crappy stuff because I really didn't know any better.  Of the four leads, I'm connecting with Portia the most: innocent, naive, she really seems to have an open, honest heart.  Elliott's a manipulative, cunning little bitch, lol.  Love this show because it's not easy to predict how things will turn out.  Even though they left a neon trail of evidence in their wake (across two countries), will they actually get away with this?

Edited by Winston Wolfe
typo
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

I'm starting to think they will get away with it because the police won't be able to believe anyone this stupid could actually have killed Keith.  They just keep digging themselves deeper.  Drew buries the murder weapon AFTER Chantal and April have seen it.  In a hole so shallow it's ridiculous.  Nobody ever wears gloves or wipes off prints from anything!  And now, Dory left prints on Keith's computer. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Seelouis said:

I'm starting to think they will get away with it because the police won't be able to believe anyone this stupid could actually have killed Keith.  They just keep digging themselves deeper.  Drew buries the murder weapon AFTER Chantal and April have seen it.  In a hole so shallow it's ridiculous.  Nobody ever wears gloves or wipes off prints from anything!  And now, Dory left prints on Keith's computer. 

Hilarious but so true!  It's almost like they want to get caught.  Their many lies are flimsy and won't stand up to repetition, and other than Portia they're all nervous wrecks.  Fingerprints and forensic evidence everywhere, and Dory better hope her former Boss was too drugged-out to remember the confession.  Chantal seems to be a morally ambiguous garbage person and it won't take much for her to roll over on them.  Julian clearly senses that something sketchy is going on, resulting in the future confrontation with Dory that we saw in last week's previews.  The fun here is going to be seeing how they somehow avoid jail time.  Realistically, with all the breadcrumbs they've left, I don't see how.  The irony here lies in Dory's mental instability and Drew's jealousy-driven clue-lessness.  He clearly walked in on Keith attacking Dory, if they hadn't gone for the grand cover-up immediately, there might have been a way out of this.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 4

I love that they've gone through all of this to "save" Chantal, and it turns out that she's just the worst. After Dory leads the titular search party to find her, she couldn't care less when Drew tells her that it will hurt Dory if the two of them hook up. Then, when she's telling Julian about her "ordeal," the worst story she can make up about what her "captor" did to her is "abandon" her for hours when they were supposed to go shopping because his kid had a broken leg. Yeah, cheating bastards who turn out to be good fathers when push comes to shove are just the worst, aren't they, Chantal? But my favorite line of hers is when she tells Julian that she doesn't like oysters, but they're the only thing she can eat because of her braces. Because that's a thing.

On 11/27/2017 at 9:53 AM, Winston Wolfe said:

He clearly walked in on Keith attacking Dory, if they hadn't gone for the grand cover-up immediately, there might have been a way out of this.

This, exactly. I don't know how they have come to the conclusion that Keith is entirely innocent in all of this. Keith was clearly a threat in that scene, and Drew did what he had to do to defend Dory, at least in that moment. But then, we wouldn't have season two of this fantastic mess.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
On 11/27/2017 at 11:53 AM, Winston Wolfe said:

The irony here lies in Dory's mental instability and Drew's jealousy-driven clue-lessness.  He clearly walked in on Keith attacking Dory, if they hadn't gone for the grand cover-up immediately, there might have been a way out of this.

I also wonder if Keith might have survived if they had called for help right away.  I keep thinking that he was just unconscious, and that he actually died after they stuffed him in the closet.

• Love 2

I love that they've gone through all of this to "save" Chantal, and it turns out that she's just the worst.

If only Dory had listened to Elliott when he said Chantal sucked.

Speaking of Elliott, his physical and mental decline so soon after what transpired in Montreal tells me he has more of a conscience than any of these dolts.

• Love 6
On 11/28/2017 at 8:02 PM, 88Keys said:

I also wonder if Keith might have survived if they had called for help right away.  I keep thinking that he was just unconscious, and that he actually died after they stuffed him in the closet.

Now we know he had a broken neck, so most likely he died on impact.

That aide at the campaign office was too much. "Was that my fault? I think that was more your fault, not mine."

Also, with Drew basically ruining more lives, it mostly just leaves Portia to really "root" for anymore. Felt bad for Alan and his wife.

Scariest moment for me was Elliot weighing things and then looking at the baby. Wow.

• Love 2

It's remarkable how much this show has tilted the balance from 90% comedy/10% mystery to 10% comedy/90% agonizing suspense, while still remaining the same show. It's all felt very organic, with no shark-jumping.

As to my previous feeling of "these are all basically good (if deeply flawed) people caught up in an impossible situation," Drew is doing his damnedest to challenge that. Ironic that at the beginning he seemed like the most innocent of the four. Almost the audience stand-in for reasonableness. Yet the change in him (or perhaps, the reveal of a side to him we never knew) also feels organic.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

The show did a good job at making Chantal look grotesque, with that garish dress and makeup.

That aide at the campaign office was too much. "Was that my fault? I think that was more your fault, not mine."

Lol, the worst people work on political campaigns. Like the woman who snapped at Dory for not making enough calls. Dory's a volunteer, right? This political campaign subplot has promise, that candidate seems awful.

Lol Agnes is so one-note. All she cares about is money.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Dory's a volunteer, right?

I assume that she and Julian are paid, although not handsomely. The reason I think so is that the candidate wanted them in order to beef up the diversity of her campaign (Dory because of her Iranian parentage, Julian because of his blackness), and her primary consideration in this seemed to be not so much achieving actual diversity as the appearance of diversity in case anyone looked into the matter. Volunteers (I'm pretty sure) wouldn't show up on any tally of diversity; only paid staff would.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Milburn Stone said:

As to my previous feeling of "these are all basically good (if deeply flawed) people caught up in an impossible situation," Drew is doing his damnedest to challenge that. Ironic that at the beginning he seemed like the most innocent of the four. Almost the audience stand-in for reasonableness. Yet the change in him (or perhaps, the reveal of a side to him we never knew) also feels organic.

I feel like, in blaming Dory for dragging him into this, Drew feels entitled to, and therefore innocent of, anything that he does as a result of the events of last season. He sees himself as a victim, so anything he does now is in service of that. Break up your colleague's marriage to get yourself a new job so you can leave the country? Well, if Dory hadn't led you all down this insane rabbit hole...

10 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Lol, the worst people work on political campaigns. Like the woman who snapped at Dory for not making enough calls. Dory's a volunteer, right? This political campaign subplot has promise, that candidate seems awful.

It will be interesting to see how that shakes out. The only thing she was interested in when hiring Dory and Julian was adding some diversity to her staff, and it doesn't seem that they know much about her, so I wonder what we'll come to find out about her in the upcoming episodes.

Interesting that Elliot, the compulsive liar, seems to be the one most struggling with what has happened, even as he tries to shove it down beneath the surface. And on that note, if John Early is not truly insane, then fantastic acting and I hope it's recognized come awards season.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

It's remarkable how much this show has tilted the balance from 90% comedy/10% mystery to 10% comedy/90% agonizing suspense, while still remaining the same show. It's all felt very organic, with no shark-jumping.

Excellent point. Last night as I watched I was remembering how amusing the first season was, with the ridiculous millennial behavior and the absurd situations. This season has just as much absurdity, but now the humor is much blacker and the show is bordering on tragedy. The transition has been seamless. 

Does anyone know if this season going to be 10 episodes long like the first one? We've already seen six, and it's hard to imagine they can wrap things up in just four more episodes. I'm guessing that however long the season is, it will end with the group of four off the hook for Keith's murder, but emotionally scarred for life.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I have a theory on the "YOU MURDERED SOMEONE!" flowers that Drew received. I think it's Chantal, doing this based on no information at all, except that a body was found and she's now a woman scorned. She's already proven herself to be completely self-centered and irrational, and I think she just decided to frame Drew for Keith's murder because she's humiliated that he "broke up with her." The lights going out in his office were just coincidentally going out because he was working late and the lights were going out.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, JoJos said:

I have a theory on the "YOU MURDERED SOMEONE!" flowers that Drew received. I think it's Chantal, doing this based on no information at all, except that a body was found and she's now a woman scorned.

You may be correct.  Besides being a woman scorned, she's also thoughtless and inconsiderate of others.  As I said in a previous post, she'll dime them out in a minute.  Wouldn't be surprised if she already suspects something.  My second guess would be Agnes Cho, looking for Blackmail money.

3 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

Hey Milburn Stone!  I was with you for a while there regarding your feelings about the core four.  But after Drew's antics last night, I'm of the mind that Portia is the only one who's not a garbage person.  To Drew's credit though, he kind of saw this coming and did everything possible to warn Dory off last season.  Although where Drew's current behavior is concerned, I co-sign on JoJos' observation that hurt people hurt other people.  Basic human nature.

Drew did have a great insight into Dory's personality.  She needs the drama, the adventure of these situations to fill the huge, gaping void she feels in her life.  By her own admission, she never felt more alive as when she was working with Keith, running off with stolen "evidence."

2 hours ago, Rough Draft said:

I'm guessing that however long the season is, it will end with the group of four off the hook for Keith's murder, but emotionally scarred for life.

I'd really like to see how they avoid prosecution, given the neon-bright, incandescent trail of evidence they're leaving literally everywhere.  Not to mention the guilty behaviors and borderline (as well as actual) nervous breakdowns from Dory and Drew.  As another poster pointed out, I have a hunch that its the shovel purchases that will ultimately be their undoing.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Drew did have a great insight into Dory's personality.  She needs the drama, the adventure of these situations to fill the huge, gaping void she feels in her life.

The most chilling moment in the whole episode (for me) was when Drew said to Dory, "You sound excited."

(Or whatever his words were. I can't remember, but they were perfect--and perfectly delivered by the actor--and sent a chill up my spine.)

• Love 2

Drew did have a great insight into Dory's personality.  She needs the drama, the adventure of these situations to fill the huge, gaping void she feels in her life.  By her own admission, she never felt more alive as when she was working with Keith, running off with stolen "evidence."

Great call.

It reminds me in a way of "Manhattan Murder Mystery", a minor Woody Allen movie from the early 1990s (but a charming one.) Diane Keaton plays a stay-at-home mom whose son has gone off to college and gets sucked into looking into the surprise death of a neighbor and engages in all sorts of crazy behavior but always adding afterward that it made her feel alive.

• Love 3

Okay on my comcast on demand thing it is showing 18 episodes, I have binge watched 10, and man oh man oh man, I am actually loving this season.  I am an old coot, but I totally get these 20 somethings...they are no worse than we were in the 70's during disco frenzy. If they end it right where it ended on the 10th episode they are totally set for Season 3, it was fantastic. Dory actually looked beautiful!  This show is laugh out loud funny and the murder mystery is so much fun.  (not as good as when Woody Allen did it, but hey, what is?)

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I actually have a theory that it's Drew's neighbor, April. She said she'll never stay out of Drew's business.

Would be good pay-off to her recurring appearances.

Also from the season promo, we know the gang suspects Chantal as the blackmailer, so they'll probably be way off.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I have a theory on the "YOU MURDERED SOMEONE!" flowers that Drew received. I think it's Chantal, doing this based on no information at all, except that a body was found and she's now a woman scorned. She's already proven herself to be completely self-centered and irrational, and I think she just decided to frame Drew for Keith's murder because she's humiliated that he "broke up with her." The lights going out in his office were just coincidentally going out because he was working late and the lights were going out.

I think Dory did it to get back at him for making her think someone had broken into their apartment in season one.

Just now, atlantaloves said:

oh man, I am so sorry.....they dropped all the episodes on Comcast. Please forgive. kissy.  ?

No worries. I wondered how you were seeing them. I don't think I have all of them on U-Verse.

1 minute ago, atlantaloves said:

I'm not even sure if that is all of them that I have seen...but it's really really good....enjoy them in order....Man, again, I am so sorry. 

It's okay...I just looked and I do have them. Now I have to try to resist binge watching them all today, because then it will be over and I'll be sad. Fortunately, I don't know who you mean and I'm going to put it out of my head.

Oh man, I wish I had all the eps so I could binge them. I need to know how this ends!

On 12/4/2017 at 11:58 AM, JoJos said:

And on that note, if John Early is not truly insane, then fantastic acting and I hope it's recognized come awards season.

This! I mean they are all doing great work, but John Early is amazing. I really hope he gets some recognition. I wish the whole show would, but I don't see that happening.

15 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

This! I mean they are all doing great work, but John Early is amazing. I really hope he gets some recognition.

I couldn't agree more, but John Reynolds is the one who blows me away, just because I feel like if I saw him in something else, he'd be completely different. (I have no evidence for that, just a gut feeling.) Whereas John Early, I feel like if I saw him in something else, he'd still be John Early-ish.

• Like 1

The actors are all amazing in this.  The things they can convey without speaking.  

Portia's director is super-creepy and super of the moment.  Watching her scenes with the director, as well as Dory's scene of getting the creep on the phone, I felt as if I was going back in time and becoming a 28-year-old being creeped on.  Yech.

Man, that campaign worker was obnoxious and awful [clarification: the one who spilled coffee on Dory & then questioned whose fault it was.  The other one, who snarked about Dory's lack of phone calls, was mean but not necessarily wrong].  I love Dory's lipstick color and outfit in the first day on the job.

I would really love to know if anything written on Elliot's "strips" makes sense.  I'm guessing no, but it would be funny if he had written a coherent narrative.

Now I need to go soften my hands with some Jergens and pear paste.  (??)

Edited by Misstify
disambiguation of annoying campaign workers
  • Love 4

Elliot's outfits are usually insane (wonderfully so).  I wish I had a look book of them.  It's interesting that when he finally loses control, the clothes are gone.  His skin and hair just completely rebelled.

• Love 2