Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Governed As It Were By Chance

Sarah comes home to look for answers. With Cosima's help, she digs into the origins of the clone experiment. The hunt takes her right into the belly of the beast, but getting out again could cost her more than she knows.

Fuck, man that episode was good. I have no coherent thoughts other than that last scene with Helena and Sarah was amazing.

It really was amazing. usually when they have two clones hug or as close at those two were, it's a little off/you can tell it's not meshed perfectly.but when Helena had her whole body on Sarah, it really looked seamless. I think that was the effects dept(or whatever they call it) greatest shot so far.

Damn, poor Helena. I felt so bad for her when she was flashing back to what happened in that room. Ugh.

• Love 1
(edited)

Once again, the show is doing weird suspension-of-disbelief killing stuff. How the hell did Cal have time to go hide Kira on a farm (and who *does* that?) and then overtake Sarah and Daniel and figure out the precise timing to t-bone their car? Then he just happens to have an untraceable RV with all the comforts of home, ready to go on the random farm? Argh! It's like they keep coming up with these "kicker" plot elements (The car is t-boned! By Cal!) and then working backwards to fit it into the plot, but not spending enough time to make it make any sense.

Also, they kind of stole Rachel's storyline from CJ Cherryh's Cyteen but since it's my favorite book in the world I don't mind.

Sequestering Cosima and Alison away from everyone else continues to be a mistake.

Edited by kieyra
And I so want her to take out the Fundie Fauxamish assholes!

I was thinking she might take down more people but then all I was thinking to myself was, Run Helena,just RUN!

I knew no way Grace could take down Helena with a pillow, even in her weakened state. I was just waiting for her to pop up and go crazy on her.  You're lucky she let you live Grace!

How did exactly Helena track the guy back to Rachels apt?(past security and whatnot? Suspension of disbelief, party of many!  But honestly, with the show I don't care because what followed was awesome.

(edited)

Cal's timeline was certainly fortuitous but I don't think the RV was so far-fetched. From what we know so far: he has resources, he's "off the grid". It's not unusual for those people to have bug-out kits/plans. Not knowing Cal's backstory in detail, maybe he was worried about a SHTF scenario and the RV was part of his get out of dodge plan.

Edited to correct autocorrection of Cal.

Edited by crabbypants

I think its about time we dust off Donnie's torture chair.

I certainly wouldn't mind a return visit to the craft room of terror. Fire up the glue gun!

• Love 1

Great episode.

I agree that Cal's timing and Helena's ability to get into Rachel's apartment was a smidge unbelievable. Especially after they showed the detail of how Sarah had to sneak in.

I knew no way Grace could take down Helena with a pillow, even in her weakened state. I was just waiting for her to pop up and go crazy on her.

I knew that was coming and it still made me jump.

I do find it frustrating that Sarah won't confide in Cal. You're trusting him with your daughter's life. Why not be honest with him so he knows what he's up against and can protect her better.

I'm not the biggest Helena fan but man what a horrible life she's had to endure. Creepier and creepier. The show is succeeding in turning me around on this character.

• Love 1
(edited)

What was with the ominous music when Sarah told Cal that it was DYAD who's after her? I was never suspicious of Cal until that moment, but that kind of made a little red flag go up.

Edited by Ceeg
  • Love 7

What was with the ominous music when Sarah told Cal that it was DYAD who's after her? I was never suspicious of Cal until that moment, but that kind of made a little red flag go up.

Yes. There was one moment in this ep where his reaction to something Sarah said made me suspicious for the first time. I'm not sure if it was then or somewhere else. I do hope there's nothing to it though. I don't want to be suspicious of everyone.

Yes. There was one moment in this ep where his reaction to something Sarah said made me suspicious for the first time. I'm not sure if it was then or somewhere else. I do hope there's nothing to it though. I don't want to be suspicious of everyone.

Unless there's a biological reason he could be Kira's father.

I had forgotten about Helena (I presumed) overhearing Felix and Sarah at Mrs. S's house by the time Daniel started cutting into Sarah (super creepy--was he going to remove her face? That's how I interpreted the cut behind the ear). I am extremely disappointed in myself that I expected it to be big dick Paul to Sarah's rescue, but I redeem myself in my own eyes by my excitement that it was Helena instead. That scene between them was everything I wanted from their reunion without knowing it. And yeah the effects were amazing and invisible.

• Love 1

Sure lots of things don't make sense but IDGAF. I'm glad the torture scene got cut short.....no pun intended, and that final scene with Helena was crazy, in a good way.

I really hope we don't end up with two separate ongoing jr. Clone chasing/running/kidnapping plots though. Maybe the big love clone baby won't take. That flashback scene was super creepy and very alien abductionesque.

It appears S is familiar with project Leda, but didn't know that was Sarah's origin.....unless she's just being uber careful with her old pal.

I definitely had a "I have a bad feeling about this" moment when Sarah told Cal about Dyad, but I hope he's not in on it....there's enough players as it is. Maybe he had some past dealings with Dyad as part of his work.

• Love 2
(edited)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaggghhhh!!!!!!

First off, if this episode isn't Tatiana Maslany's Emmy Submission Tape (and, more importantly, if she is snubbed again), I will have to cut a bitch.  Forget knocking it out of the park -- she knocked it into a different province! 

Now I fully understand why last week was so calm (relatively speaking) compared to the first two episodes -- it was downtime to 1) recover, digest, and process everything that has taken place since the start of this season, and 2) rest up for the rocket that was shot out of a cannon tonight.  Holy fucking shit, tonight was **intense** !!!

So much to discuss, analyze, and speculate about...

- So Cal was the person who broadsided Sarah and Daniel/Doral...glad he was able to get her away from that psycho-shitbag.  It seems that he's in for the long haul and that at the very least, he's familiar with the DYAD Group.  What remains to be seen is how much he knows about what they do that's mainstream knowledge and/or top secret.

-  I can't remember whether it was here or over at TWoP, but following the finale of Season One, someone brought up the mythological story about Zeus coming down from Olympus incognito, nailing Queen Leda, and the resulting twins that were half-god, half-human.  Whether that's how Project Leda got its name or the whole Greek Mythology reference is a red herring remains to be seen.

-   Apparently EatingFartingDonnie isn't quite as dumb as he seems.  What he did to Alison was both smart (from his and DYAD's perspective) and sheer evil.   Up until now, he never gave two shits about whether or not she was clean and sober or stoned as a bat (and in fact  encouraged her use of Mother's Little Helper along with copious amounts of Chardonnay) -- what does matter to him, however, is that he's back in control.  Donnie knew that their kids are her weak spot, and he wielded those children over her like a razor-sharp knife to force her to stay put, and at this point, she might as well be in prison instead of just rehab.  The only way I see her getting out of there before she's completed the program is if she does exactly what BitchyDrugCounselor explicitly warned her not to do -- get caught doing the horizontal mambo with another patient.  

-  While it's certainly to Alison's benefit (and the Clone Club's as well) that she gets sober, I don't trust that place or her counselor one whit -- it wouldn't be at all surprising to discover that BitchyDrugCounselor is from DYAD and is her new monitor.  Granted, I don't know much about drug rehab, but my cousin does, and he said that having someone who's an Inpatient do a urine drug screen every day is a bit far-fetched and that once a week, twice at most, is more realistic.  That being said, if Leekie/DYAD is up to something here, the reason for the daily urine test might be to keep a check on whether or not she starts developing any symptoms of whatever autoimmune problem killed Jennifer, is making Cosima (and made Katja) sick.

-  Last season I was both happy and relieved when it appeared Sarah killed Helena (she was interesting and compelling, but also completely feral, totally psycho, and extremely unstable, which smacks of Days of Our Lives ridiculous plot points), so when she staggered into the hospital at the end of the Season Two premiere, I was less than thrilled she was still alive.  Between CowboyChrist carrying her into what we now know was the CreepyBigLoveRanch Biological Rape Room and PrincessJealousJesusFreak's attempt to kill "It," I was cheering Helena on when she bolted from their compound.   When PJJF put that pillow over Helena's face and proceeded to start smothering her, I snickered and then muttered out loud, "Girl, you don't have the first fucking clue as to the massive shitstorm you have just brought upon yourself."

-  So did anyone else notice how, when she came to from the anesthesia (sedative, my ass, Mrs. CowboyChrist!), she knew something was rotten in Denmark the second she saw that CowboyChrist Put A Ring On It?  He didn't come right out (pun intended) and consummate Helena's "marriage" into the family -- but he harvested her eggs, which is just as horrific.  The question now is whether he cloned Helena or merely fertilize the ovum.  And if it's the latter, who provided the baby batter?

- Kira continues with the MagicalPsychicChild Cliché by giving Sarah the Origami Butterfly/Guardian Angel and then telling Cal she's not worried about her Mum because she's got a(n) [Angry] Guardian Angel looking after her!

- Wow, Daniel/Doral didn't take too kindly to not getting his way and/or Sarah causing him to fail at doing Rachel's bidding.  When he had her tied up in the shower, was he planning on killing her, or was that the start of a Glasgow Smile?  Regardless, whatever he was about to do, he completely disregarded Leekie's order to bring her in alive and safe and was out to extract some sort of sick revenge on his part.  I can't help but surmise that living with Rachel would likely drive most anyone to murderous rage, and were that the case, Sarah being identical to the CorProClone wouldn't exactly help things.  I'm not one to get squeamish at the sight of gore, but when that razor sank into Sarah's neck and the blood started pouring out in a thick stream,  I kind of freaked.

-  Damn, Mrs. S.!!  I wasn't expecting her to get it on with Carlton, especially after she had referred to him in Season One as "a sweet boy" (or something to that effect).  So he didn't know anything about Project Leda....Hmmmmm...  I had a difficult time understanding the conversations that those two shared; hopefully during the re-watch I'll be able to figure out what they were saying.

-  Not enough Felix in this episode :-(.  So now we know that Rachel's adoptive parents were Susan and Ian Duncan, two of the geneticists involved with Project Leda -- were they the Lead Scientists on it?  And they were killed in an explosion at the lab....did the show say it was a bomb that caused it, or did I infer that on my own?

-  Lastly (for now, at least), that final scene with Helena, Daniel/Doral, and Sarah was IMO the best-acted scene so far this season.  Sarah's fear/terror both when D/D was about to slice into her and especially when Helena entered the bathroom was absolutely palpable -- my heart was pounding so hard I could see it beating through my tank top, and when the end credits started running, I realized that I'd started sweating and was almost panting from the adrenaline rush. 

Edited by OriginalCyn
  • Love 9

It looked to me, too that Cal might know something about Dyad & I like the suspense of that. How is he possibly connected to them? And when we first saw the Leda picture, didn't the woman in it look like Mrs. S, but now we know it to be Rachel's mother? Am I understanding this correctly? Because Sarah didn't seem to blink when she connnected the picture to the 2 scientists killed in the bombing. Didn't she think that was Mrs. S? Didn't it look more like Mrs. S the first time we saw it? And the woman scientist it looks like it ended up being doesn't really look anything at all like Mrs. S.

I had a hard time following Cosima's info about the 2 scientists and how they raised Rachel. (She just seemed to rattle it off so quickly). She was not their biological child? Is she the original clone? Did they make Rachel in the lab? Where did the original genetic material come from?

Great episode, but I really miss the clones being together like they were some of last season. And definitely not enough of Felix.

Not matter what Mrs. S did with the guy she met (whose name I forget) in the bar, I think she's playing him just for more info.

• Love 1
(edited)

I had forgotten about Helena (I presumed) overhearing Felix and Sarah at Mrs. S's house by the time Daniel started cutting into Sarah (super creepy--was he going to remove her face? That's how I interpreted the cut behind the ear).

Oh,so it was Helena hiding behind the door. Ok that makes a little more sense about how she found out where the Rachel's apartment was. How she even got to Mrs. S's..that's another story. Hitched...Oh who cares!(not me) It's all too fun to care.

bravelittletoaster- my first thoughts was that Daniel was cutting off her ear. Never thought about the whole face! *shivers* 

TM's done a lot of different, great acting emotions so far, but those freaked out,frightened,feared for my life looks were impressive. She genuinely looked scared shitless. (as one would be when a crazy,revenge seeking guy with a straight edged razor/knife gets in your face)

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

Wow. Okay, EVERYTHING OriginalCyn said except I've always loved Helena and want to see more of her forever! She's my favorite. 

Agreed, not enough Fee. 

Loved seeing S with hunky human trafficker.

Poor Alison.

They need to get crackin' on Cosima's cure.

• Love 3

I had a hard time following Cosima's info about the 2 scientists and how they raised Rachel. (She just seemed to rattle it off so quickly). She was not their biological child? Is she the original clone? Did they make Rachel in the lab? Where did the original genetic material come from?

Great episode, but I really miss the clones being together like they were some of last season. And definitely not enough of Felix.

Not matter what Mrs. S did with the guy she met (whose name I forget) in the bar, I think she's playing him just for more info.

Cosima told Sarah that Sarah was originally supposed to go to the Leda parents, but when Sarah was smuggled to S instead, they got Rachel in her place. Whether all that is actual info or conjecture, like the spitballing about how Rachel was raised, that appeared to be wrong, I don't know.

• Love 1

Oh ShaggyDog, that would be the ick topping on the cake of grossness. This show could be a PSA against joining a religious cult.

So did Grace's father, Cult Leader/Scientist remove an ovary from Helena? Or did he just take DNA? 

I want to know more about who raised these women. We know about Sarah and Helena, but who raised the others? They had to be in on the whole thing.

Cal and that guitar. <Sigh>

Cosima told Sarah that Sarah was originally supposed to go to the Leda parents, but when Sarah was smuggled to S instead, they got Rachel in her place. Whether all that is actual info or conjecture, like the spitballing about how Rachel was raised, that appeared to be wrong, I don't know.

Thanks for clearing that up Joystickenvy. I too didn't follow all she was explaining either. And I really tried to listen as she was speaking because I know was important and exposition but she was talking so quickly and I really could process it that fast. I don't have a Cosima brain, what can I say!

He did seem to hesitate(to me anyway) when she mentioned it...or maybe the director/writer could have told him to play it a certain way

(edited)

Oh ShaggyDog, that would be the ick topping on the cake of grossness. This show could be a PSA against joining a religious cult.

So did Grace's father, Cult Leader/Scientist remove an ovary from Helena? Or did he just take DNA?

I want to know more about who raised these women. We know about Sarah and Helena, but who raised the others? They had to be in on the whole thing.

Cal and that guitar. <Sigh>

In the creepy flashback, I assumed they were inseminating her, though that isn't normally how it would be done and I was only kinda side eying the scene cuz it was so squicky, but after seeing creepy big love scientist, I assumed they actually extracted some eggs and fertilized them outside the body so they could implant any resulting embryos (probably in that soulless ginger).

I suppose they could have removed parts, but that's not what it looked like and I'd think they'd want to leave them in place in case they needed more eggs.

I suppose if creepy big love scientist knows more about the clones than we do, it also leaves open the possibility that he knows how to trigger the asexual reproduction some theorized about.....if that turned out to be correct.

Edited by Joystickenvy
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oh,so it was Helena hiding behind the door. Ok that makes a little more sense about how she found out where the Rachel's apartment was. How she even got to Mrs. S's..that's another story. Hitched...Oh who cares!(not me) It's all too fun to care.

Helena is, if anything, quite resourceful after being trained as an assassin, so how she got from CreepyBigLoveRanch back to Toronto wasn't anything that really needed to be fanwanked.  It made sense that she would go to Mrs. S's house as her sestra Sarah and, to a lesser extent, Kira and Mrs. S., are the only ones she feels she can turn to.  As for her getting into the house (someone asked upthread about how, if Sarah had a difficult time breaking in there without being noticed, how could Helena?), Sarah was at least 6 hours by bus from the house.  We don't know exactly where the location of the CBLR is in relation to it, but it makes sense that it's closer than wherever Sarah got on the bus.  Helena likely got there before she did, and she doesn't exactly seem like the type to be concerned about making a ruckus by busting a window on the side or back of the house to get in.  

From that point, she (as she told Sarah) followed her sestra to Rachel's Ice Palace, and since she's not one to quibble about murder, it's entirely possible that after the initial dude who entered the Ice Palace when Sarah-As-Rachel called him went back to his post, Helena killed him or, if she didn't use her life-saving quota up when she spared PrincessJealousJesusFreak.                                                                                                                                                              

my first thoughts was that Daniel was cutting off her ear. Never thought about the whole face! *shivers*

At first it looked like he was either going to sever her carotid artery and jugular vein, or he was going to give her a Glasgow Smile (if you're not familiar with what that is, here's a picture of it (warning: these are crime scene photos and extremely graphic):  http://swissprecise.tumblr.com/post/53158698065/elizabeth-short-aka-the-black-dahlia-first-time .  If you don't want to click on the link, an exaggerated idea of what it looks like would be Heath Ledger's makeup in The Dark Knight, and an example of what one looks like after healing (leaving a horrific scar) would be the actor Tommy Flanagan, who portrayed Cicero in the movie Gladiator and, in Braveheart, as Morrison, the just-wed husband whose new wife, because of jus primae noctis (which was historically false), was legally forced to spend her wedding night with the English Nobleman who ruled over their village)  

I think that Grace might be in for serious payback. Someone will have to be the surrogate for fertilized egg.

If she discovered that she was carrying the devil's spawn inside of her, I suspect PrincessJealousJesusFreak would off herself and, if she found out her father was behind it, she'd likely off him as well.

Edited by OriginalCyn
  • Love 1

In the future, whenever Sarah pronounces someone as dead, we will all know better, right?

My working theory on what the Proletheans are up to is immaculate conception.

Favorite scene: Helena, the white bat running out of hell past Art.

So, no more Paul?

I told you guys Cal seemed fishy. Believe me now? Although I've adjusted him up morally. I think maybe he left Dyad long ago and is hiding out.

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow, that Sarah/Helena scene was utterly convincing. I somehow expected Sarah to be relieved that it was Helena who offed Daniel, but she was understandably even more terrified. In her place, I wouldn't have reminded Helena that she shot her and left her for dead.

So Rachel lives at One King West, which is about a block away from where I work. I'll have to look her up!

By the way, if Carlton looks familiar, he's played by Roger Cross (agent Curtis Manning from 24).

So, no more Paul?

At least not this week. But according to the preview, he's back next week as Rachel's new (other?) plaything.

Edited by beedub
  • Love 2

They should have titled this episode "You Don't Know Who You're Fucking With."

I'm going to say something silly, but I'll stand by it: this is the best acting I've ever seen. I don't doubt each clone for a second. They are completely different characters. No other single actor playing even twins has ever made me believe it.

I'm certain the direction, makeup and sfx contribute, but man...she is amazing. That last scene, the fear - I bet a lot of pretty people wouldn't show a real "fear face" like that. She looked fucking terrified.

So would I if Helena walked in.

• Love 4

By the way, if Carlton looks familiar, he's played by Roger Cross (agent Curtis Manning from 24).

He's also on Continuum.  Actually he's kind of been all over the place the last few TV seasons.  I'm always happy to see him; he's been on my radar since First Wave.

• Love 1
(edited)

Do we see the gold-paper origami butterfly that Cal made for Kira hanging in front of Sarah when she is tied up in Rachel's shower by Daniel? Or was that just a scene fade-in?

And does Daniel have the ability to raise from the dead (more or less) like Helena?

Edited by shapeshifter
(edited)

Poor Helena. Life just continues to shit on her. She spent years being brainwashed and tortured by Tomas and now that she's finally escaped him, she's married into a family of sister-wives and operated on AND having some moody tween try to smother her. Grace is lucky that Helena didn't kill her. Hee, I totally loved Art stopping all the husband brothers and stalling them so Helena could escape. Good job, Art!

Last week I was afraid that they had drugged her so they could rape her. I'm not sure if it's better or worse that they put her under and extracted her eggs. During her flashback, I assumed that the giant metal turkey baster was artificial insemination but since we saw the developing embryo at the end of the episode, I guess they took some of her eggs and then fertilized them in a petri dish? Regardless of when they were fertilized, I feel bad that Helena was violated like that. Just when I think the weirdos on the farm can't creep me out any more, they do.

I loved the scene of Helena and Sarah. You could tell that Sarah was still freaking out from Daniel cutting her and then she thought she had gone from the frying pan into the fire when she saw Helena covered in blood and wielding a knife, back from the supposed dead. Sarah was so shocked and terrified that she could barely comprehend that Helena was asking for her help. These are some traumatized girls.

I know Helena was trained as an assassin so she knows how to be stealthy, but the thought of her traipsing around the lobby of Rachel's fancy building in her Fundie dress cracks me up.

Cal definitely recognized the Dyad name. I wonder if they are the company that bought his drones against his will. I don't know how drones would fit into Leekie's overall picture but I'm not ruling anything out at this point.

The video that Sarah was watching was from 1991 so she was only 7 and she looked like a normal happy kid. Maybe she turned into a cold bitch because her parents died. Some of the other tapes were labeled Rachel's graduation/school trip, holiday 1984, Rachel's Halloween, and Cambridge lecture (not the Cambridge 1991 one that was already in the VCR). There was also a tape labeled 0454 so I wonder what that one is.

I don't think there was a date on the article about Rachel's parents being killed, but we know it had to be some time after 1991 since they were in the video that Sarah watched. But the pictures of them used in the article about the explosion look like they were from around the same time as the Project Leda photo that Sarah has (notice Susan's bouffant and Ethan's large glasses and very pointy butterfly collar, none of which were in fashion in 1991).

Donny putting Alison in rehab is probably the smartest thing he's done as her monitor. Now he doesn't have to watch her at all! Threatening to take the kids away was evil but smart. He knows that Alison loves them and wouldn't do anything to lose them. Heh, she's probably going to lose her mind if she starts thinking about them having to settle for Donny's sub-standard parenting skills while she's in rehab. Even if Yvonne isn't a new monitor, Dyad would be stupid not to have someone at the rehab center to keep an eye on her, take some of her pee samples, and listen to what she says during group therapy. I loved that when she woke up, she assumed that Dyad had taken her somewhere. I also loved that one of the things she was most offended by was seeing some other woman shave. Great segue from Felix saying she may get her dignity back there and then cutting to Alison being watched as she pees.

Carlton is hot, but he is going to have to speak up and enunciate more clearly if he sticks around. I had to turn up the volume and rewind several times to understand what he said.

How did Cosima know that Amelia was originally carrying Sarah and Helena for the Duncans?

I did not miss Rachel or Paul this week.

As much as I miss seeing the clones interact with each other, the one good thing about having them separated so much this season is that it means the show is less exhausting for Tatiana Maslany to shoot since she doesn't have to do every scene multiple times as each character. I don't want the show to become so taxing for her that she doesn't want to do it anymore.

ETA:

Do we see the gold-paper origami butterfly that Cal made for Kira hanging in front of Sarah when she is tied up in Rachel's shower by Daniel? Or was that just a scene fade-in?

Daniel held it in front of her, called it cute, and then crumpled it up.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Dragging my post over from the terminal TWoP:

Last week I was afraid that they had drugged her so they could rape her. I'm not sure if it's better or worse that they put her under and extracted her eggs. During her flashback, I assumed that the giant metal turkey baster was artificial insemination but since we saw the developing embryo at the end of the episode, I guess they took some of her eggs and then fertilized them in a petri dish?

Maybe they inseminated her and then removed fertilized eggs? Or is there a possibility that the video was taken in utero, and now there is a pregnant Helena on the lam?

Cal definitely recognized the Dyad name. I wonder if they are the company that bought his drones against his will. I don't know how drones would fit into Leekie's overall picture but I'm not ruling anything out at this point.

Maybe "drones" is code for hi-tech turkey basters?

Kira gave that to Sarah 'for protection'.  Interesting that Kira was calling it an Angel and not a butterfly, and then Helena shows up to save Sarah...

Thanks ElectricBoogalo and Agent Dark for filling in about the gold paper butterfly/angel. New crazy theory: Paul, Cal, and Daniel are also in competition to father children of the clones.

Dyad is a major, major corporation, and Cal was involved in a tech startup, so it makes sense that he would recognize the name. 

I don't see how he could possibly have a preexisting connection to them, tough - Sarah picked him as a mark, and Dyad didn't know where the heck she was at the time, so they could not have placed him in her path. 

Uhm. I suppose it is possible he could have stumbled onto the clones while trying to find Sarah via image searches and such after she took his money and ran, but well, that seems more likely to result in the whole mess being blown open than in him signing up with Dyad. 

I also thought the woman in the Leda picture used to look more like Mrs S, but maybe that was just the conclusion the writers were leading us to and I fell for it.

But what I really want to know is Donnie's backstory. He and Alison have been together since high school. Was he her monitor in high school? Or did Dyad get to him after high school? Did he get together with her because he was her monitor or vice versa? Were his parents KGB agents who groomed him for this mission when he was young? Oh, the possibilities....

• Love 2
(edited)

I told you guys Cal seemed fishy. Believe me now?

No. Heh. Because that would be terrible writing, IMO, and I'm giving them more credit than that. And it's been really hard for me to trust writers again after glee, so I hope they don't fuck this up. I think he just knows who DYAD is and is like, oh fuck.

I couldn't understand a word Carlton said, so I hope it wasn't too plot significant, whatever it was.

As for Helena, I'm glad no one raped her with their dick, but I still cringe at her complete violation, and I hope she and Sarah go back there, kick everyone's ass, and steal back her zygote.

Maybe they inseminated her and then removed fertilized eggs? Or is there a possibility that the video was taken in utero, and now there is a pregnant Helena on the lam?

No, that's not how they do that. You extract the egg, fertilize it in a dish and then implant the fertilized egg back into a womb. We were looking at it divide in the dish, which some people consider the start of a human life. I do not, but I do consider it interesting and Helena's property, so I hope they go back and take it by force. And killing everyone in the process is fine by me too, because they're strange, abducting, intrusive cultish assholes.

Edited by bravelittletoaster
  • Love 6
I couldn't understand a word Carlton said, so I hope it wasn't too plot significant, whatever it was.

It really wasn't. There was some flirting with Mrs. S and when she tried to get more info from him, he revealed that he knew Brenda was compromised, he was back from the UK because of Project Leda, and the ferryman's identity was the only other info he had. When Mrs. S said she now knows what Sarah is, Carlton said that meant she knew more than he did and he didn't want to hear it. So no, you didn't miss anything important that you couldn't have picked up from Mrs. S's end of the conversation.

Somebody bought the technology Cal was working on. Who's to say that buyer wasn't DYAD? I hope he's not in on it (due to the mounting coincidences), but he does seem to know something. (Pure conjecture on my part regarding the buyer.)

The final scene with Sarah in the shower was just scary/creepy/good. TM sold that one...twice.

Mrs. S...going for the quickie in the pub basement. Still waters...

I want clone club back together. With honorary member, Felix.

• Love 1

We did not see much Cosima.

We did not see any Paul.

We did not see any Rachel.

We did not see Felix' naked backside.

We did see some Art.

We did see cool Cal.

We did see lots of horrific suggestions of things.

We did get a hint of some possible answers.

So all in all, I think this might have balanced out in the show's favor. 

(edited)

Helena is officially my favourite character in modern television.  Not only is it the writing and creativity but it's the performance.  She is beyond fabulous -- Helena and the actress both.

Who called her a "white bat out of hell" as she ran by Art?  Because that is genius.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

Carlton is hot, but he is going to have to speak up and enunciate more clearly if he sticks around. I had to turn up the volume and rewind several times to understand what he said.

Oh, and a million thank you's to Electric Boogaloo for the translation from Carltonese to the English language because I couldn't understand a word Carlton said in his first three or four lines to Mrs. S.  It was like Hshhhmockarum benabble.  Schimpferan. Oojookaram frish.

• Love 1
(edited)
I'm intrigued by the happy child video.  Maybe it's not actually Rachel, but a young Sarah who was taken from the Duncans by the smuggler, then replaced by Rachel.

Because of course the Duncans would want to raise at least one of the "original" clones which I am assuming Sarah and Helena are.  Then shite went down the child got replaced with Rachel and it explains the style of childhood rearing because if they knew they were no longer in possession of an original and  "A' being scientist they would of course raise the child differently and "B" being heartbroken parents not being able to show love to the wrong child.  It makes senses in a twisted Orphan Black sort of way,  I love you show.  Never change.  

Also loved the moment where Art realized Helena was running right towards him and had no contingency plan for that. Art's really growing on me.

He improvised rather well though.  

Edited by ChaosTheory
  • Love 2

And when we first saw the Leda picture, didn't the woman in it look like Mrs. S, but now we know it to be Rachel's mother? Am I understanding this correctly? Because Sarah didn't seem to blink when she connnected the picture to the 2 scientists killed in the bombing. Didn't she think that was Mrs. S? Didn't it look more like Mrs. S the first time we saw it? And the woman scientist it looks like it ended up being doesn't really look anything at all like Mrs. S.

I think someone determined in a previous thread that Mrs. S would have been younger than that in 1977 (it's been 37 years since then, so even if she's 50 now, she would only have been 13 in 1977).

• Love 1

Helena is, if anything, quite resourceful after being trained as an assassin, so how she got from CreepyBigLoveRanch back to Toronto wasn't anything that really needed to be fanwanked.  It made sense that she would go to Mrs. S's house as her sestra Sarah and, to a lesser extent, Kira and Mrs. S., are the only ones she feels she can turn to...

From that point, she (as she told Sarah) followed her sestra to Rachel's Ice Palace, and since she's not one to quibble about murder, it's entirely possible that after the initial dude who entered the Ice Palace when Sarah-As-Rachel called him went back to his post, Helena killed him

I did conclude that it was Helena eavesdropping Chez Siobhan, and was a little sceptical when she appeared at the Rachel Residence, but this breakdown is good enough for me. We have indeed seen how resourceful Helena is, after all, who can forget her police-station muffin break? That took some serious cojones to pull off.

I have to admit, I never expected to see Mrs. S in full zipless mode on this show. But the outfit definitely foreshadowed that something wicked this way, um, comes.

Loved the fact that Art intervened on Helena's behalf. He must be developing a protective streak for anyone with that face, and who can blame him (can't wait until he meets Rachel)! But you have to wonder, did he just go on standing around in that field after the posse got by him? Art, just Instagram those photos and get the hell back to town.

New crazy theory: Paul, Cal, and Daniel are also in competition to father children of the clones.

Not sure about that, but given next week's preview, and I hope that doesn't qualify as a spoiler (are the previews shown on BBC America?), it looks like Paul is the current record-holder for having slept with the most clones. I know, it's not a competition, but at least the man knows what he likes.  ;-)

• Love 3
(edited)

Who called her a "white bat out of hell" as she ran by Art? Because that is genius.

*shapeshifter takes a bow and votes Captanne's comment up*

Even I can be inspired to type a noteworthy turn of phrase when given such a magical moment of plot, costume, direction, photography, and character coming together.

Oh, and a million thank you's to Electric Boogaloo for the translation from Carltonese to the English language because I couldn't understand a word Carlton said in his first three or four lines to Mrs. S. It was like Hshhhmockarum benabble. Schimpferan. Oojookaram frish.

Hah! Whatever the accent, he did have it down, but they probably need to do subtitles if he's going to keep it up. On Continuum, where the same actor, Roger Cross, appears, I have no trouble understanding him. Here he seemed to be also pitching his voice slightly lower (into the sexy register), so maybe the sound needed to be edited to deal with that?

I keep flashing back to Sarah feeling Daniel's pulse in the crashed car and pronouncing him dead, only to have his battered and bloody self show up in Rachel's place, fit enough to overpower Sarah. In real life Sarah would be: Whoops, I guess I got that wrong. But on a show, it seems like they wouldn't do that for nothing. Thoughts?

Edited by shapeshifter