Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: Governed As It Were By Chance

(edited)

Sarah was also likely still a bit dazed from the wreck.  Hell, I've been rear-ended more than a few times (I swear, the back of my cars are like a magnet), the worst of which was being hit by someone on the Interstate who hit the brakes 40 feet from me when I was stopped at a the tail-end of a traffic jam.  While I didn't lose consciousness, I have no real recollection of what I did or said in the first minutes after it happened -- the brain kind of goes into preservation mode, while the body may go into shock.  

I could easily see Sarah going through the motions of checking DD's pulse, but the actual result of it not registering in her head.  If anyone, Cal should have been the one to check and see if the former Cylon was still ticking.

Edited by OriginalCyn

It's funny how he's so sure about his observations of other characters but when he gets to his own he wanders and waffles a bit.  It totally makes sense, it's just an actor thing I think is nifty. 

(edited)

Silly question in an otherwise pivotal episode: do British people still use the Fahrenheit scale?  Or any Canadians, for that matter?  When Sarah/Rachel mentioned 68 degrees for her apartment, it struck me that she should have used Celsius. 

Edited by Brn2bwild

In the past week I binged watched the entire first season plus the first four episodes of this season. It is killing me that I now have to wait a whole week for the next episode. That last scene was flawless. Helena has gone from crazy assassin to someone I actually cheered out loud for when she appeared in the bathroom. I can't recall a show in recent memory, maybe since early Buffy, that inspired as many "holy shit" outbursts from me in a single episode. If Tatiana doesn't win every award in the universe there is something seriously wrong.

• Love 2
(edited)

An observation about Leekie I got from this episode: He clearly cares for the clones and doesn't want them harmed (though he does want them under his ultimate control), hence Daniel promising to bring in Sarah "gently" and then later when Daniel - as he holds the knife - tells Sarah that "Leekie wouldn't" do what he was about to do. So, a bit of off-screen character development for the ol' doc. 

The Leda myth actually had two sets of twins - one female (Helena and Clytemnestra), one male (Castor and Pollux), which has my spider senses tingling in Felix's general direction all the more. 

Also, I think some variation of "Tatiana Maslany deserves ALL THE AWARDS" has become the "So say we all!" - a universally accepted sign-off - of Clone Club.

Edited to ask: How does Kira know about Auntie Cosima? And what she looks like? Are we to presume Sarah told her (showed her a pic somehow?) at some point off-screen? Or is this another example of creepy Kira insight? Unlike with Alison and Helena, they've never met. 

Edited by DioxinBlues
  • Love 1

DioxinBlues, I'm pretty sure Kira has at least met Auntie Cosima during a Skype session.

Silly question in an otherwise pivotal episode: do British people still use the Fahrenheit scale?  Or any Canadians, for that matter?  When Sarah/Rachel mentioned 68 degrees for her apartment, it struck me that she should have used Celsius.

Everything I can find online seems to indicate they are in Canada, where my sister has lived since 1969, and she uses Celsius, so, I dunno. Do Canadian shows generally cater to the U.S. market by using Fahrenheit and miles instead of kilometers, etc.?
(edited)

Brn2bwild, on 11 May 2014 - 5:25 PM, said:

Silly question in an otherwise pivotal episode: do British people still use the Fahrenheit scale?  Or any Canadians, for that matter?  When Sarah/Rachel mentioned 68 degrees for her apartment, it struck me that she should have used Celsius.

Everything I can find online seems to indicate they are in Canada, where my sister has lived since 1969, and she uses Celsius, so, I dunno. Do Canadian shows generally cater to the U.S. market by using Fahrenheit and miles instead of kilometers, etc.?

Temperature is officially Celsius in Canada (and as far as I know in Britain), although you do get a few holdouts who still prefer to use Fahrenheit. And you can still buy thermometers/thermostats in degrees F as well.

Edited by beedub

Sarah seemed freaked out when she tried to check the pulse. If I'm remembering correctly, she barely touched him, was freaked out by it, and said I think he's dead.

That's how I remembered it too. When I was watching the episode, I thought damn it, Sarah, you have to actually check for a pulse, not just tap your finger on his neck, before declaring that he's dead! I totally get that she was in shock from the accident, freaked out by the potentially dead body, and also afraid that the guy with the gun who just kidnapped her might still be alive but I just knew that was going to come back to bite her in the ass. I thought it would be along the lines of Daniel being alive and then telling the police that Sarah abducted him and stole his car though.

She should've shot him, wiped her prints, and dropped the gun, just to be on the safe side. 

We wouldn't have gotten to see Helena get him though, would we? :D

#TeamHelena

• Love 1
(edited)

Do Canadian shows generally cater to the U.S. market by using Fahrenheit and miles instead of kilometers, etc.?

My conclusion from every way they've depicted the setting so far is they don't mind if their Canadian viewers recognize the show as being set in Canada (and they seem so cutely excited about it, and yes I know that's patronizing) but they blur the lines so it doesn't stick out as foreign to American viewers, for whom it has a more "Gotham"y generic urban feel. Which makes sense. America is a much bigger potential market. As for the Fahrenheit line--good catch. I didn't notice it, but now I'm all, yeah, bitch. Cater to me. :)

Eta: I forgot to mention this latest chapter in the book, How is Tatiana Maslany Impressing Me This Week, but this in the particle or whatever reminds me:

Let's just say that Sarah does a better job of imitating Rachel's control-freak tendencies than Rachel's upper-class accent.

I loved how Sarah couldn't quite nail Rachel's accent. Just another one of those omg she's the same fucking person how does she do this and cram in all this nuance? moments <bow>

Edited by bravelittletoaster
  • Love 1

Sarah seemed freaked out when she tried to check the pulse. If I'm remembering correctly, she barely touched him, was freaked out by it, and said I think he's dead.

That's how I saw it too and rewatching confirmed it for me. It also has me wondering -- that crash was pretty major and we know Sarah pulled through because of her implied healing abilities (like Kira and the car and Helena and everything Helena's gone through), but what about D/D? He took a more direct hit than Sarah. It should have killed him. And he recovered without any help or medical attention. Do we think he might have some special abilities as well? I mean, if we think there's a set of male clones running around somewhere, it might make sense that he'd be paired up with the self-aware clone, yeah? I don't know. Probably over thinking. And I'd much rather have multiple Cals or Felixes running around than D/Ds. One thing going against this theory is that D/D is significantly older than our other clones. Maybe it's just the Doral memories making me suspicious. 

Ugh. If this show suffers the fate of every other fantasy show I've watched where you start out with one or two characters with special abilities and then everybody and their brother develops them....fortunately I think better of this show.

I think Daniel was knocked out cold and Sarah was not in any position to be evaluating someone's vital signs.

• Love 1

Ugh. If this show suffers the fate of every other fantasy show I've watched where you start out with one or two characters with special abilities and then everybody and their brother develops them....fortunately I think better of this show.

I think Daniel was knocked out cold and Sarah was not in any position to be evaluating someone's vital signs.

I'm with you on everyone developing powers. It's kind of why I hope if we meet another set of clones it's not Felix or Cal. 

I feel the same way. As much fun as it would be to see Jordan Gavaris play, like, frat boy clone and hipster nerd clone and weaselly businessman clone, I really think it would be too much. I'm good with the one set of clones for now. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more in the future, but I wouldn't want them to be clones of someone we already know.

• Love 1

I'm with you on everyone developing powers. It's kind of why I hope if we meet another set of clones it's not Felix or Cal.

Yes. No matter how good your actors are (and most won't be Maslany), if they overplay this trick they'll be in Vampire Diaries/doppelgänger territory, and I for one would rather they just not. Ditto to mysticism of any kind, thanks.

• Love 4

Last season I was both happy and relieved when it appeared Sarah killed Helena (she was interesting and compelling, but also completely feral, totally psycho, and extremely unstable, which smacks of Days of Our Lives ridiculous plot points), so when she staggered into the hospital at the end of the Season Two premiere, I was less than thrilled she was still alive.

Preach it. I mostly just roll my eyes whenever Helena is on-screen. Any scene with her in it seems like a live-action cartoon to me and takes me out of the cool brainy science-y stuff. She won't stay dead! She's murderous! She looks like the Bride of Frankenstein! Yawn.

Kind of tired of Sarah being on the run too. They really need to bring back season 1's cohesiveness and get the clones back together. This episode barely had Cosima, no Delphine, no Leekie, minimal Alison...not good, show!

• Love 1

Here's my theory based on what we know so far:

- Rachel's parents, Susan and Glasses Guy, were killed in the lab explosion

- Her parents were forced into LEDA, possibly after realizing they had a clone

+    ("what's that guy with the gun doing there? do you think the military was involved?")  the guy with the gun was there to keep the scientists in line

- The Prolithians caused the explosion

- Rachel is in power now at Dyad to continue her parent's work and to get back at the Prolithians

- If Daniel was Rachel's monitor and she didn't know that would be very cool, however, I don't think she needs/needed a monitor if she was selfaware and working for Dyad

- I'm not sold on Cal's loyalty.  His face when Sarah gave him the Dyad's name, he seemed really interested in learning that name.  Would he trade Kira for money or something?

- Kira is a robot

Agree with those above who were irritated with Helena's resurrection.  Shows where no one dies but everyone appears to die (Helena, Daniel) can get very annoying very quickly.  OB has great writing and great acting; they don't need to use cheap cliffies and shocks to keep the audience. 

Finally, where is PAUL?! 

Just caught up on this episode and, damn, I'm glad Helena has already escaped the clutches of the religious cult.  Not only that, but saving Sarah! I guess she isn't someone who would let a little thing like her twin sister shooting her, stop her from loving her sis!  But it looks like the cult did take one of her embryos?  Yeah, I can't see anything good coming out of that.

Alison in rehab is certainly something, especially since Donnie threaten to take the kids, if she didn't finish the treatment.  He might have won the argument, but I have a feeling, in the long run, he's really going to regret that.  i hope Felix manages to keep making time to visit her, because I suspect she'll need it.

Hey, it's Roger "I Must Appear in Every Canada Show Ever!" Cross as Mrs. S's lover and the guy who smuggled Sarah in!

Out of all the clones, I'm still not sure what they are doing exactly with Cosima.  It feels like it's treading water at this point.

I'm kind of suspicious of Cal now.  His reaction to Sarah saying the name "Dyad", just came off kind of shady to me, like he knows more then he's letting on.

(edited)

I was suspicious of Cal when he became "the guy with a heart and a kid with the heroine" -- either he's toast or he's involved with backstory.

Now?  Who has an off-the-grid RV, sitting at the ready in their back yard?  Who knows how to t-bone a sedan without killing everyone on board or no one?  Who does that?

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1
Did we get a date for the lab explosion?

For some reason, I was convinced that it was 1996 when I was watching the episode and then afterward I checked both the scene where Sarah/Felix find the article and the later scene where Cosima is talking about the Duncans and neither mentions a date for the explosion. I even paused the episode while Sarah and Felix were reading it to see if the clipping had a date, but I couldn't see anything.

But the explosion had to be after 1991 since we saw the video tape of Rachel with them in Cambridge. I wasn't watching the video too closely but I assumed that Sarah recognized them while she was watching it, otherwise she would have said something like, "Who the hell are these people with Rachel?"

Do we think he might have some special abilities as well? I mean, if we think there's a set of male clones running around somewhere, it might make sense that he'd be paired up with the self-aware clone, yeah? I don't know. Probably over thinking. And I'd much rather have multiple Cals or Felixes running around than D/Ds.

I'm also hoping that a lot of people don't end up with special healing abilities. I'm still not convinced Sarah has them. What abilities Kira has and why she has them would be an interesting enough story for me. With all the talk of twins, I do get the feeling we'll learn of male clones at some point.

I honestly don't know what to type, this ep was so far the best of the season and I swear TM just keeps getting better and better. That last scene of a bloody Helena hugging a tied up, terrified Sarah? Just perfect. The other scene that stays with me is Art's WTF facial expression when he sees a frantic Shakira-haired woman with Beth's face, in a wedding gown!, clutching a knife and running toward him...only to run right by him. He annoyed me in season one but I'm really hoping he continues to help Sarah and not deliberately impede her.

I love many of the characters but Alison, Donnie (when he's with/around Alison) and Felix continue to be my great loves. Seems like Helena only made Gracie pass out to make her escape, I'm almost wishing she had killed her but I feel like OB's TPTB have more to tell with Gracie. I feel so bad for Cosima, I really wish she would tell Sarah and/or Alison that she's been sick; it's selfish on my part, I love when the core-clones, Sarah, Alison, Cosima, meet up and interact.

Hm, I just realized another plus for me: no Angie this week.

• Love 1

Didn't Rachel ask Paul how Korean was then tell him they were going to Taiwan (I know...) recently?  I assume he's with her.

In the aftermath of the car crash I saw Sarah reach to check bloody guy's pulse but then shake and jerk her hand away.  I saw that as her being too shaken to check.

They really need to bring back season 1's cohesiveness and get the clones back together.

I think we're finally back on that path. I cannot tell you how happy I was to see the clones having more meaningful interactions again, even just by Skype and phone. I didn't even realize how much I missed Sarah and Cosima's discussions until this past episode, with Sarah playing the exasperated big sister to Cosima's excited kid sister-type rambling. (Even though I know the clones are about the same age, I always see Sarah as the overprotective big sis.) And now we finally have the twins reunited again. I know it's really taxing on Tatiana, but the clones together are what really make the show for me. 

(Even though I know the clones are about the same age, I always see Sarah as the overprotective big sis.)

Yes, exactly! The clones do not feel like they are the same age. Alison seems the oldest out of our three main clones to me, probably because she has two school-age children, and she's so uptight and has the trappings of a middle-age, suburban life. Cosima seems like the youngest, since she's so bubbly and enthusiastic. Sarah seems like her older sister (tough, exasperated), like you said. And Rachel seems like she's older than all of them (although that might be canon?).

Once again, TM has managed to make characters who are all the same age seem like completely distinct people who don't seem the same age. Amazing.

• Love 1

We got clear confirmation this week on the meaning of the show title, when Mrs S. said to Carlton, “20 years ago, you brought an orphan to my door. Put her in the black you said – as black as it gets.” I know this has been alluded to in Season One, but this is the most explicit use of it to date.

By the way, I'll play tech-dumb here and ask if someone could please help me understand how Cal was able to find a hotspot in the middle of nowhere / some rural sideroad so that Sarah could Skype with Cosima? Was it supposed to have something to do with that police-band radio that Cal and Kira were listening to?

I thought the motorhome had a hotspot. Kira said there was a laptop, so I assumed it had wi-fi. I took the police-band radio to be a separate thing, like he was listening if the cops were on their tail. 

Didn't Rachel ask Paul how Korean was then tell him they were going to Taiwan (I know...) recently?

I definitely remember it as asking him about his Mandarin.

We got clear confirmation this week on the meaning of the show title, when Mrs S. said to Carlton, “20 years ago, you brought an orphan to my door. Put her in the black you said – as black as it gets.” I know this has been alluded to in Season One, but this is the most explicit use of it to date.

By the way, I'll play tech-dumb here and ask if someone could please help me understand how Cal was able to find a hotspot in the middle of nowhere / some rural sideroad so that Sarah could Skype with Cosima? Was it supposed to have something to do with that police-band radio that Cal and Kira were listening to?

The laptop had a cellular modem with a big antenna sticking out of the side, so they at least attended to that detail. (Although it means they had to be near a cell tower.)

(I was expecting them to go for something more ostentatious like satellite-dish-based internet, which does exist for RVs, but I'm okay with the solution they had.)

The laptop had a cellular modem with a big antenna sticking out of the side, so they at least attended to that detail. (Although it means they had to be near a cell tower.)

Daniel's phone was working, so they must have been in a cell service area anyway. But yeah, the Skype wasn't jittery or anything at all so they must have been in a place with decent service.

I'm also hoping that a lot of people don't end up with special healing abilities. I'm still not convinced Sarah has them. What abilities Kira has and why she has them would be an interesting enough story for me. 

Yeah, I actually don't think Helena has them either.  Both instances of her surviving something she shouldn't have survived can be explained by the fact that her internal organs are reversed, so she was neither impaled in the liver nor shot in the heart.  Also, given the whole Leda mythology, it makes sense for Kira to be the only one with any special abilities.  Like, maybe Dyad or whoever actually designed the clones had the idea that they'd seed them all over the world and then the clones would have children who were some kind of next step in human evolution.  

• Love 2

I was suspicious of Cal when he became "the guy with a heart and a kid with the heroine" -- either he's toast or he's involved with backstory.

Now?  Who has an off-the-grid RV, sitting at the ready in their back yard?  Who knows how to t-bone a sedan without killing everyone on board or no one?  Who does that?

Thank you! I'm not alone here thinking the same thing. I may be crazy, but not about this, because if two viewers think it, it's a viable theory, right?

In the aftermath of the car crash I saw Sarah reach to check bloody guy's pulse but then shake and jerk her hand away.  I saw that as her being too shaken to check.

Once again, I'm going against the popular belief system. I think Daniel the Former Cylon has been mainlining Helena's zombie blood.
(edited)

Holy Shit!  TM does a fantastic absolutely terrified.    Loved, loved, loved this episode.  

I've read through everyone's prior posts (well trained by TWoP!), and didn't see anyone post about this:   I remember, was it in the pilot?, that when Sarah was first impersonating Beth, Paul noticed that she didn't have a scar behind one of her ears.  I think that's when Sarah then distracted him with sex in the kitchen.  Anyway, it struck me that now Sarah DOES have a scar behind her ear.  I wonder if Beth ran into Daniel's blade of horror at one time.     Also, I didn't think Daniel was going to maim Sarah's looks, but continue to cut her in places on her body that wouldn't show.  

Now?  Who has an off-the-grid RV, sitting at the ready in their back yard?  Who knows how to t-bone a sedan without killing everyone on board or no one?  Who does that?

All of the above made me suspicious that Cal knows more than he's let on so far too.  

One thing that struck me as odd and out of character was that Art didn't follow Helena.  Maybe he did, and we haven't been shown that yet.

Finally, I didn't realize how sold I was on Helena and Sarah being two different people until I came here and read how amazing the special effects were to get such a close hug to look realistic.  It was so well done, I hadn't even thought about it!  

Edited by RealityCreator
  • Love 4
I remember, was it in the pilot?, that when Sarah was first impersonating Beth, Paul noticed that she didn't have a scar behind one of her ears.  I think that's when Sarah then distracted him with sex in the kitchen.  Anyway, it struck me that now Sarah DOES have a scar behind her ear.  I wonder if Beth ran into Daniel's blade of horror at one time.     Also, I didn't think Daniel was going to maim Sarah's looks, but continue to cut her in places on her body that wouldn't show.  

Good catch! I didn't remember Beth's scar, but my first thought when Daniel started to cut Sarah was that he was looking for a device or something under her skin. I thought I was completely off on that until your post.

• Love 1

Finally, I didn't realize how sold I was on Helena and Sarah being two different people until I came here and read how amazing the special effects were to get such a close hug to look realistic.  It was so well done, I hadn't even thought about it!  

Yeah, I have to say that it's a real credit to not only the effects but to all the costuming and makeup and particularly to TM's talent that I completely buy into the clones being all different people to the point that when they're interacting I almost never think about the fact that they're having to use special effects at all.  So I watched that Helena/Sarah hug and was impressed by how intense it was and how well TM sold Sarah's terror but never once thought about the fact that an actress can't hug herself.  And then I come here and it's like, oh right!  Tatiana plays both of those characters!  Totally forgot.

• Love 5
I'm not sold on Cal's loyalty.  His face when Sarah gave him the Dyad's name, he seemed really interested in learning that name.  Would he trade Kira for money or something?

If Cal was pushed out of his company and his tech bought by the military, which seems to have been involved in Project Leda, could the name Dyad instead be ringing (unpleasant) bells for him on that front? That he's just realized that his and Sarah's paths and pasts may not be discreet things that happened to cross, but part of the same messy pot of science-military-tail-fetishist-fuckery stew.  (Aaaaand, now I've worried myself, worrying that his fleeting expression means he's worrying that his tech will be used to bring pain to Sarah on the run & the others in a way that will make it tough for them to be allies/"friends.")

• Love 2
(edited)

My conclusion from every way they've depicted the setting so far is they don't mind if their Canadian viewers recognize the show as being set in Canada (and they seem so cutely excited about it, and yes I know that's patronizing) but they blur the lines so it doesn't stick out as foreign to American viewers, for whom it has a more "Gotham"y generic urban feel. Which makes sense. America is a much bigger potential market. As for the Fahrenheit line--good catch. I didn't notice it, but now I'm all, yeah, bitch. Cater to me. :)

No problem – cute is what we aspire to. In fact, it's enshrined in our Constitution: "All Canadians shall have the right to equality and respect in the international community. In their absence, go for cute."  ;-)

Seriously though, I can get behind using Fahrenheit for the sake of being clear to the largest number of viewers. If Sarah (as Rachel) had said, "And I want the temperature to be an even 20 degrees", her next line would be drowned out by the sound of millions of Americans searching for Celsius-to-Fahrenheit conversions.

And speaking of Sarah as Rachel:

I loved how Sarah couldn't quite nail Rachel's accent. Just another one of those omg she's the same fucking person how does she do this and cram in all this nuance? moments <bow>

Right? You could tell she (Sarah) was making an effort to match Rachel's imperious tones but still sounding ever-so-slightly more like Sarah. But at the same time realizing, "What the hell, it's probably good enough to fool the concierge." And all of that a deliberate, carefully-delivered choice on the part of TM / the show. <kowtow>

Edited by beedub

And speaking of Sarah as Rachel:

Right? You could tell she (Sarah) was making an effort to match Rachel's imperious tones but still sounding ever-so-slightly more like Sarah. But at the same time realizing, "What the hell, it's probably good enough to fool the concierge." And all of that a deliberate, carefully-delivered choice on the part of TM / the show. <kowtow>

Sarah imitating Rachel kind of blew my mind even more than Sarah imitating Cosima or Beth or Alison, mostly because Tatiana does have a North American accent in real life, so in my mind, I think it would be easier to get there (Canadian playing English playing Canadian) than Canadian playing an English person playing another English person. To be honest, it makes my brain kind of short-circuit when I think about it too much.

Here's a neat little BTS tidbit from John Fawcett about both Sarah and Helena spitting on Daniel:

I think Sarah spitting on Daniel was scripted. Helena just spits on people—I don’t know if you’ve noticed that. But she does seem to just do that whether we script it or not. I think Tat just added Helena spitting, and Matt (Matthew Bennett) was a total trooper, getting killed and spit on over and over again.

http://www.theloop.ca/showbiz/tv-guide/news/article/-/a/3951928/-Orphan-Black-talk-Co-creator-weighs-in-on-Ep-4-shockers

• Love 1
Seriously though, I can get behind using Fahrenheit for the sake of being clear to the largest number of viewers. If Sarah (as Rachel) had said, "And I want the temperature to be an even 20 degrees", her next line would be drowned out by the sound of millions of Americans searching for Celsius-to-Fahrenheit conversions.

You give us too much credit, friend.  Most Americans would be like, "20 degrees?  That's fucking freezing."  Heh.

• Love 12

I think, at first, they were going to try to sell the city as New York but gave that up rather quickly.  In the first scene of the pilot, when Sarah's in the subway station, you hear the announcer talk about the "next train to New York City departing at xxx."  

I think, at first, they were going to try to sell the city as New York but gave that up rather quickly.  In the first scene of the pilot, when Sarah's in the subway station, you hear the announcer talk about the "next train to New York City departing at xxx."

Maybe, but there is a train from Toronto to NYC: http://www.amtrak.com/maple-leaf-train

...remember, was it in the pilot?, that when Sarah was first impersonating Beth, Paul noticed that she didn't have a scar behind one of her ears.  I think that's when Sarah then distracted him with sex in the kitchen.  Anyway, it struck me that now Sarah DOES have a scar behind her ear.  I wonder if Beth ran into Daniel's blade of horror at one time.     Also, I didn't think Daniel was going to maim Sarah's looks, but continue to cut her in places on her body that wouldn't show.

Wasn't Beth's scar from a bike accident? Or at least that's what Paul the monitor said. But with all the cloak and dagger stuff (including actual daggers), who knows?

So, is cutting someone in invisible places how they do torture in Toronto? (almost kidding)

I wasn't sure what he was doing. In Yank shows like True Detective, they go for the gut, and it's usually to kill. (still sort of kidding)

• Love 1

So, is cutting someone in invisible places how they do torture in Toronto? (almost kidding)

I wasn't sure what he was doing. In Yank shows like True Detective, they go for the gut, and it's usually to kill. (still sort of kidding)

I'm not really sure, but I thought he was going to cut off a piece of her ear.  He could have figured that it would freak her out enough to get her talking without doing enough actual damage for her to pass out or go into shock before she'd told him everything he wanted to know.  It's possible I've thought about this too much.