Type keyword(s) to search

Beyond Stranger Things: The Bingable Aftershow

• Start Topic

I'm through the first episode and a half and my favorite tidbit is the Mike/Eleven kiss, where apparently Finn said to Millie, without moving his lips (she described it like he was a ventriloquist), said "I'm coming in" before doing the kiss. Hilarious! They said it's actually visible onscreen in the final take, but either that's wrong or Finn is a better ventriloquist than he has been given credit for, because I didn't catch it on rewatch. Because he was able to let her know when he was coming in, they only had to do it twice or so.

Contrasting it to the Lucas and Max kiss, where they couldn't get the timing and reaction shots right, the poor kids had to do it like 10 times. Apparently it wasn't even in the script, but one of the Duffers heard Sadie was nervous about it when he was only joking about them having to kiss, that he made them do it.

I really like the host of the aftershow. He had some great questions to things I'd been wondering about, and he isn't overbearing. He lets the cast do most of the talking.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 1

This was a pretty fun aftershow, and the behind the scenes stuff was really interesting. My favorite part is during the second episode when Caleb suddenly has an apple and Shawn Levy is so. mad. about it.

• Love 2

My favorite tidbit was revealed in the final after show episode, I believe, and that was

Spoiler

The very, very early plans for Bob’s death was that Will was completely taken over by the Mind Flayer, and that he would be killed by Will in what became the stand up to your nightmares advice scene  

It only lasted until an early outline, but that sure would have changed things. 

• Love 1

I like how so much of the show is informed by the actors. Bob was supposed to be a jerk, as mentioned. But they loved Sean so much that he was re-tooled. Same with Joe Keery/Steve in season 1. I had no idea they were still writing episodes even while filming the early stuff. I guess it makes sense and is probably the M.O. for a lot of shows, I was just surprised. I thought they ran a tighter ship. But I'm glad to know their plans aren't set in stone and can be changed based on circumstances. They never mentioned it, but I seriously wonder if Eleven was supposed to be  a one-and-done character after season 1 in the early stages. They certainly could have gone that way with how the finale went. But the insane popularity/talent of the actress made that impossible.

8 hours ago, absnow54 said:

This was a pretty fun aftershow, and the behind the scenes stuff was really interesting. My favorite part is during the second episode when Caleb suddenly has an apple and Shawn Levy is so. mad. about it.

Topped only by the first episode where Millie is describing her emotional scenes and Finn is fidgeting with the game pieces on the table, to the point where she interrupts him to knock it off, lol.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
57 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

What is nice to find out is how nice Dacre is compared to Billy. He is also the nicest looking one of the cast for me. He's very well spoken and I wish his character wasn't such an asshole. Then I'd root for more of him. 

Is it wrong I was a little disappointed that Dacre wore a wig for Billy? I was hoping he actually grew that glorious mullet. 

41 minutes ago, Last Time Lord said:

Is it wrong I was a little disappointed that Dacre wore a wig for Billy? I was hoping he actually grew that glorious mullet. 

Oh man, I would not wish that monstrosity on anyone. 

• Love 3

This might be unpopular, but when Caleb, Gaten and Sadie were all on...I thought Gaten was kinda rude. He kept talking over Sadie or interrupting her. I'll handwave it to him being young and a ham, but I thought he was explaining answers to questions that should have been Sadie's or Caleb's answers (I think mostly during the kissing questions). With the this show being overwhelmingly male, it would have been nice if Gaten had been a smidge more mindful.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

What is nice to find out is how nice Dacre is compared to Billy. He is also the nicest looking one of the cast for me. He's very well spoken and I wish his character wasn't such an asshole. Then I'd root for more of him. 

We don't need to root for everyone. Some people are just assholes. He did his job well.

14 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

This might be unpopular, but when Caleb, Gaten and Sadie were all on...I thought Gaten was kinda rude. He kept talking over Sadie or interrupting her. I'll handwave it to him being young and a ham, but I thought he was explaining answers to questions that should have been Sadie's or Caleb's answers (I think mostly during the kissing questions). With the this show being overwhelmingly male, it would have been nice if Gaten had been a smidge more mindful.

I noticed none of that but Sadie seems to he super shy anyway and Gaten very much isn't. So, that's what usually happens. Has nothing to do with gender. I enjoyed hearing from all of them. It was a fun convo.

I like this for the most part. It gave great insight on what the set was like. There were a few things that were awkward like them telling Saddie it was her fault that she got a kissing scene. She is just a kid, and it's kind of sad in a way that was her actually "first kiss".

The format was a bit weird though. I get that they wanted to have "episodes" but there seemed to me little to no theme in some of them and the host just ends it kind of abruptly sometimes. I wonder if he had to tell people to leave if they weren't in the next session as it was clearly all filmed in one day.

Overall, worth watching if you really love the show and want some insight on filming it.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, blueray said:

I like this for the post part. It gave great insight on what the set was like. There were a few things that were awkward like them telling Saddie it was her fault that she got a kissing scene. She is just a kid, and it's kind of sad in a way that was her actually "first kiss".

Yeah, I thought that was a tad mean-spirited on the Duffers’ part, but I’m probably over sensitive. The kid was nervous the entire day for the possible kiss and they weren’t even going to make her do it until they found that out. As much as I like the tween romance, it does make me a bit uncomfortable to see the kids having to act it out. 

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Yeah, I thought that was a tad mean-spirited on the Duffers’ part, but I’m probably over sensitive. The kid was nervous the entire day for the possible kiss and they weren’t even going to make her do it until they found that out. As much as I like the tween romance, it does make me a bit uncomfortable to see the kids having to act it out. 

It also makes me uncomfortable knowing that the only reason they made her do it is because they knew she didn't want to.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, EarlGreyTea said:

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

It also makes me uncomfortable knowing that the only reason they made her do it is because they knew she didn't want to.

I completely agree! When I was watching the After Show, this was the episode I didnt like the most. The Bros came off as tools, almost like bad henchmen. "OhhhOhhhh, she's nervous about a possible kiss scene, let's actually make them kiss. But let's let her sit on it for a day." Not to mention, this is also the episode where I didnt like Gaten either.

You would think with kids on the set, you would have a different set of on Set rules for them beyond working laws. Like, a set of moral standards, because you know, they're kids. Makes me wonder what they're going to do about Charlie and his cocaine charge.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

Makes me wonder what they're going to do about Charlie and his cocaine charge.

Me too.  Was he actually charged with anything or just denied entrance to the US? If he wasn't charged with anything hopefully he'll be good to come back for season 3. Of course he has to get his personal life together first.

I don't care about the whole kissing thing. Most child actors first kisses are on screen and I can guarantee it's always awkward. They were just needling her a bit. Her mother has to be there on set for all your that. If she was truly distressed it really uncomfortable, that's why they have the parents there. It's really got to be awkward for everyone so it's easier to make light of it.

• Love 3
On 10/30/2017 at 0:42 PM, Racj82 said:

I noticed none of that but Sadie seems to he super shy anyway and Gaten very much isn't. So, that's what usually happens. Has nothing to do with gender. I enjoyed hearing from all of them. It was a fun convo.

To immediately dismiss an observation with the notion that she was shy and he was not and "has nothing to do with gender" is unfair, and of course potentially inaccurate. There are many MANY studies done on why women don't speak up in meetings and other group settings, and "manterrupting" is totally a thing.

Gaten did talk over the others, and I attributed it to him having zero self-awareness. I only found it annoying to the point where I noticed it was happening, but they're still kids and he was excited. Hopefully he learns to be more respectful of others, but it was a fun conversation overall.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mledawn said:

To immediately dismiss an observation with the notion that she was shy and he was not and "has nothing to do with gender" is unfair, and of course potentially inaccurate. There are many MANY studies done on why women don't speak up in meetings and other group settings, and "manterrupting" is totally a thing.

Gaten did talk over the others, and I attributed it to him having zero self-awareness. I only found it annoying to the point where I noticed it was happening, but they're still kids and he was excited. Hopefully he learns to be more respectful of others, but it was a fun conversation overall.

It's my opinion that I just didn't agree with your assessment of the situation. I've also seen enough of these kids in interviews to notice which ones are more open and talkative than others. My opinion is that it has nothing to do with gender and it is who they are as people. I'll be honest in that im judging anyone's actions based on their gender. I don't spend a lot of time doing that. None of this bothered me either way. The discussion was fun. I heard from all the kids. Nothing felt off to the point of annoyance to me. That's all. It was just harmless fluff. I don't want to make a big deal about it.

On 01/11/2017 at 1:41 AM, blueray said:

Me too.  Was he actually charged with anything or just denied entrance to the US? If he wasn't charged with anything hopefully he'll be good to come back for season 3. Of course he has to get his personal life together first.

He wasn't charged, and only had trace amounts of cocaine, which could mean as little as a few grains, or residue that was picked up by swabs. It annoys me that sensationalist media outlets crowed about him being "deported", because he wasn't. Deportation is a legally binding removal, backed up with court orders that also forbid the peson from seeking entry in the future. All that happened to Charlie Heaton, as far as I can tell, is that US Customs refused him entry, meaning he had to return to the port he'd flown from. I think it's likely this will be cleared up soon enough for him to be a part of season 3.

Anyway, this aftershow was fun. Jim Rash was a good host, and seemed adept at making the kids feel comfortable. But I felt like the episodes weren't long enough to warrant having that many guests on, and often it was uncomfortably noticeable that one of them had barely said a word. 

I think I might have structured it to be fewer episodes, at double the length. And have different guest on each one. But still, lots of interesting bits of information, backstage stories and evidence that the cast all get on well. I definitely found the kids the most interesting, but I always really like David Harbour's thoughtful approach to acting, so I wish we'd heard  more from him.

I think some of the kids just have dominant, big personalities. Gaten does, and so does Millie. They both seem very sure of themselves, and more 'actorly' than the other kids. Sadie and Noah seem to be at the other end of the scale.

The only person who got on my nerves was Sean Levy,  who came across as obnoxiously strident and dramatic, as well as passive aggressive. That's a guy I'd hate to work with.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 1
On 11/2/2017 at 7:47 PM, Danny Franks said:

The only person who got on my nerves was Sean Levy,  who came across as obnoxiously strident and dramatic, as well as passive aggressive. That's a guy I'd hate to work with.

Oh, I agree. He was really obnoxious in some part of the aftershow. That said, I know exactly why he was hired for this gig: he's great with kid actors. If you look at his filmography, much of it is kid-centered movies, like Cheaper By The Dozen. I distinctly remember listening to the cast commentary for that movie and when his name appeared in the opening credits, every single kid actor cheered for him. He's probably great at coaxing great performances out of them, and I guess you can't argue with the results. Every single kid actor on this show is excellent. His over the top personality probably goes over better with kids than it does to some of us.

• Love 3

Agreed on Sean being good with kids.  I like that they gave the example of using creepy music to elicit the right performance out of the youngest Wheeler last season.  A lot of directors, even good ones, would just shoot the scene and hope that good editing and score would help convey what the character is supposed to be feeling.  Sean actually recognized that just because the toddler wouldn't understand what she needed to do with words, it doesn't mean she wouldn't understand period.  Using the music helped her and I like that he put that kind of thought into a short scene that I'd forgotten about until it was brought up. 

• Love 2

To be honest, I thought there was a lot of talking over each other in all the episodes. It was one of the reasons I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. So I didn't even really notice Gaten's behavior so much since it was something many of them were guilty of.

22 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

To be honest, I thought there was a lot of talking over each other in all the episodes. It was one of the reasons I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to. So I didn't even really notice Gaten's behavior so much since it was something many of them were guilty of.

I wish they had smaller groups. As much as I thought The Lost Sister was a waste of time for this season, I really wanted to hear what Linnea Berthelsen (Kali) had to say about her character. Unfortunately, she got only about one sentence in! I do like what she did say, though - or maybe I'm confusing with another interview or something someone else said about Kali, but here's what I remember: That when Eleven decides to leave Kali, Kali has a moment where she realizes how she could have chosen differently, as Eleven has, and it's a moment of deep regret for her. We're meant to see that Hopper, Mike, and the kids saved Eleven from that kind of life. For that alone, I thought the episode was worth it - almost.

I'd love to hear from both her and Millie at the same time about the making of that episode.

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 1

I looooooove behind the scenes stuff so I'm the nerd who lives for DVD commentary tracks, but as I was watching the first episode, I was like man, there is just too much overtalking going on here. Even with the closed captions on, there were a lot of parts in these episodes where there were four or five people all talking at once and I wanted to tell them to STFU so I could actually hear what they were saying.

Shawn Levy was the guiltiest of this because he would interrupt, overtalk, AND use a louder volume than everyone else. The Duffer brothers did it too, but Levy was the one who did it the most often.

There were several times when I almost just stopped watching because it was getting on my nerves so much. If I just wanted to hear a bunch of indistinguishable noise, I'd turn on five different movies at once. I was so relieved when I saw that the fourth episode had only actors so I wouldn't have to listen to Shawn Levy and the Duffer brothers all talking over each other.

On 10/31/2017 at 4:41 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

On 10/31/2017 at 5:04 PM, secnarf said:

On 10/31/2017 at 6:31 PM, SnoGirl said:

I completely agree! When I was watching the After Show, this was the episode I didnt like the most. The Bros came off as tools, almost like bad henchmen. "OhhhOhhhh, she's nervous about a possible kiss scene, let's actually make them kiss. But let's let her sit on it for a day." Not to mention, this is also the episode where I didnt like Gaten either.

You would think with kids on the set, you would have a different set of on Set rules for them beyond working laws. Like, a set of moral standards, because you know, they're kids. Makes me wonder what they're going to do about Charlie and his cocaine charge.

I really did not like this at all. I know that actors are encouraged to be uncomfortable, lean into their discomfort, be private in public, etc. but she is a young teenager who they deliberately made uncomfortable - and all for something that wasn't even in the script. That's just gross to me. Then they "jokingly" told her that it was HER fault that Max was going to kiss Lucas because she was so obviously uncomfortable about it.

• Love 4

I think it would have helped if each episode actually aligned with a show episode instead of the "thematic" mess they tried to set up. I get that they tried to group people by storyline, but without any real structure for the topics they were covering, it was kind of free for all with everyone talking over one another. I don't think it's a wrong assumption that people who watch the after show are probably the people who will binge the show in one sitting, but I like the structure of a "Beyond the Episode" where the talking points are mostly confined the the two or three plots that have happened in a single episode.

• Love 2

Congratulation Duffer Brothers, your “pre-crime” of having a 15 yo actor chastely kiss an age appropriate actor (with your parent present on set), which is normal in the portrayal of adolescent romance, and relevant to the story, has caused you to be marked as a proto Harvey Weinstein. Apparently you’ll proceed to sexual harassment, then rape, then sexual harassment of minors and then statutory rape.

I still can't get over Millie sincerely describing Brenner as 'warm' towards El and that he 'really loved' El and both of the Duffer brother's looking dumbfounded at her and saying, 'I wish David were here.' If I had to guess, I think Millie's explanation for Brenner and El's relationship has a lot more to do with Millie's affection for the actor and being unable to differentiate the two (which is understandable) because it's insanely untrue that Brenner 'loved' El and wanted to comfort her. Millie even aligns the moment Brenner carries her down the hall after she's just murdered the two guys with the moment Hopper comforts her after she's closed the gate as if those two moments hold similar meaning. No, Millie. No.

5 minutes ago, dju said:

I still can't get over Millie sincerely describing Brenner as 'warm' towards El and that he 'really loved' El and both of the Duffer brother's looking dumbfounded at her and saying, 'I wish David were here.' If I had to guess, I think Millie's explanation for Brenner and El's relationship has a lot more to do with Millie's affection for the actor and being unable to differentiate the two (which is understandable) because it's insanely untrue that Brenner 'loved' El and wanted to comfort her. Millie even aligns the moment Brenner carries her down the hall after she's just murdered the two guys with the moment Hopper comforts her after she's closed the gate as if those two moments hold similar meaning. No, Millie. No.

Millie often describes herself as being Eleven completely, so I get where she's coming from. I recently rewatched season 1 and Brenner is a master at giving affection and withdrawing it at exactly the right moments. Having absolutely nothing else to compare it to, it's easy to see how Eleven mistook it for sincere affection. Hell, I was almost fooled by Brenner until the season 1 finale. It was a classic case of wanting desperately to please the only person who pays attention to you. The scene Millie refers to, where he carries her after she bumps off those two guys - it was excellent. We know logically that she is just a test subject to him, but an isolated child is going to think he cares for her.

I can see also where she's coming from with the parallel scenes of Brenner carrying her/Hopper embracing her. They were clearly trying to draw comparisons between  Brenner and Hopper for the entirety of season 2, the most obvious example being when Eleven outright called out Hopper as acting like Papa. I didn't think of those two scenes as being bookends, but now that I think about it, they're totally meant to be. A good reminder of how far Eleven has come.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Millie often describes herself as being Eleven completely, so I get where she's coming from. I recently rewatched season 1 and Brenner is a master at giving affection and withdrawing it at exactly the right moments. Having absolutely nothing else to compare it to, it's easy to see how Eleven mistook it for sincere affection. Hell, I was almost fooled by Brenner until the season 1 finale. It was a classic case of wanting desperately to please the only person who pays attention to you. The scene Millie refers to, where he carries her after she bumps off those two guys - it was excellent. We know logically that she is just a test subject to him, but an isolated child is going to think he cares for her.

I can see also where she's coming from with the parallel scenes of Brenner carrying her/Hopper embracing her. They were clearly trying to draw comparisons between  Brenner and Hopper for the entirety of season 2, the most obvious example being when Eleven outright called out Hopper as acting like Papa. I didn't think of those two scenes as being bookends, but now that I think about it, they're totally meant to be. A good reminder of how far Eleven has come.

I can appreciate all of this for sure and can see how Eleven would have had a false perception of Brenner and their relationship but that line, "you are like papa" is telegraphing to the audience that Eleven is now aware that her relationship with Brenner wasn't good and that the way he treated her wasn't good. Those two scenes as bookends are really poignant only because Eleven at the end of S2 doesn't view Hopper the way she now views Brenner. Again, I think it's because Millie really does have a fondness for Matthew Modine and that's where she's getting that explanation from because it otherwise really isn't true even for Eleven herself in the canon of the show.

• Love 1

Plus, Millie's 13.  She's well spoken, creative, intelligent and not afraid to speak her mind or share her feelings, which is GREAT.  But she's still 13. That brain is still 13 no matter how 'wise' she may seem.  It wouldn't surprise me at all that her fondness for Matthew Modine bleeds into her perception of the El/Brenner relationship.  That's to be expected from someone her age.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

Congratulation Duffer Brothers, your “pre-crime” of having a 15 yo actor chastely kiss an age appropriate actor (with your parent present on set), which is normal in the portrayal of adolescent romance, and relevant to the story, has caused you to be marked as a proto Harvey Weinstein. Apparently you’ll proceed to sexual harassment, then rape, then sexual harassment of minors and then statutory rape.

Ugh. I usually like the AV Club but that was such clickbait. Millie(who is now a close friend of Sadie) was teasing her about her having to kiss.

Loved seeing the kids auditions. God they were babies. Millie's reaction to her tape was hilarious.

On 10/29/2017 at 5:31 PM, EarlGreyTea said:

They never mentioned it, but I seriously wonder if Eleven was supposed to be  a one-and-done character after season 1 in the early stages. They certainly could have gone that way with how the finale went. But the insane popularity/talent of the actress made that impossible.

Oh she was definitely supposed to die. Her survival had less to do with popularity(the show hadn't aired yet) and more that the Duffers originally envisioned a limited series.

Stranger Things Originally Planned To Kill Off A Major Character

Ross Duffer:

“Maybe I shouldn’t say this because I like to pretend that it was all planned out, but it was originally pitched as a limited series. So it was like, Eleven was gonna sacrifice herself and save the world and then that was gonna be it, because there was a moment where limited series were a big deal.”

• Love 2

The Duffers were heavily influenced on the Silent Hill games as well as other video games like The Last of Us, but mainly on Silent Hill. A lot of people don't know that the Japanese influence on their Silent Hill franchise is based entirely on Japanese folklore and Western folklore with a dab of Stephen King. If you watched Parasite Eve, you could see weirdness in that movie as well. The Japanese were always the go to source for influence. I know that the Duffer Brothers gives credit to Stephen Spielberg and other 80s theme films, but the whole demon thing is entirely based on Japanese based horror themed game/movie genres. The brothers might have been also hardcore video game addicts as well.

She probably doesn't really want to do much press, and she can probably command a little bit more clout in not being required to do a lot of promotional stuff, including BST.  I got the impression, both this season and last, that the kids did the heavy lifting. Harbour's done a good chunk, but the focus really seems to be moreso on the kids than anything.  My guess is if WR wanted to do BST or a lot of interviews, Netflix would fall over themselves to arrange things however she wanted. 

7 hours ago, lilwhitelion said:

Has anyone heard why Winona Ryder did not appear on Beyond Stranger Things?  They were able to have David Harbour, Sean Astin, Paul Reiser, and Shannon Purser interviewed remotely.  Only Matthew Modine and Winona Ryder were absent.

She was shooting a movie with Keanu Reeves in California so I'm guessing she wasn't available.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

She was shooting a movie with Keanu Reeves in California so I'm guessing she wasn't available.

Hey, a Bram Stoker's Dracula reunion! Awesome. "I know where the BAH-sterd sleeps! I brought him there, to Carfax Abbeh."

31 minutes ago, milizard said:

Anyone else find Millie a little annoying in this?  (I loved her in the actual show.)

I like her. Most of the kids are very outgoing and extroverted but she's even more so which actually makes me  relieved considering the amount of fame they're all dealing with right now.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes  the others were just meh. I think Millie and Finn are an interesting pair outside of the screen. Watching other interviews she's trying super hard to kill any rumors about the pair... almost to a fault at times. Have yet to see a decent interview with Finn by himself.

I think the show was good but maybe in the future as mentioned by others it needs smaller groups without the Duffers. 

• Love 1

I have to give Finn and Millie a lot of credit here. They are really 14 going on 15, but they're still kids new at these things. Despite their awkwardness, they came off pretty decent for newcomers. And they smart enough to answer what question is said to them and whatnot. I mean, not everyone is going to be a River Phoenix, Drew Barrymore, or Henry Thomas in their life, right? Usually, everybody's beginnings have a bumpy start when being interviewed. It is in most Hollywood handbooks.

On 11/18/2017 at 3:29 PM, Robert Lynch said:

I have to give Finn and Millie a lot of credit here. They are really 14 going on 15, but they're still kids new at these things

Just a minor correction - Millie is 13. She turns 14 in February. Considering that she was 11 going on 12 when they began shooting S1, she has handled the sudden fame really well. 

I know I couldn't handle that success all that well. I kind of would have botched it unfortunately. But I tried acting at an early age and that was no fun. Speaking with firsthand experience about acting in school plays, it was kind of disastrous back then.