Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E05: I Want To Be President

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, Libby said:

Bill's mother had to go on welfare when Bill's father left her with 3 children. I read it in their book.

Wow.  She must have really had a tough time. Bad enough with kids without health issues but Bill had multiple surgeries.  Poor thing!  I am sort of surprised that Bill and his dad get along so well. I'm not sure I'd be that forgiving.

• Love 9

Here's the exact quote from the book:

"My dad worked three jobs to support two households, and, as anyone who comes from a divorced family can attest to, money got stretched really fast. Ultimately, public assistance and welfare were Mom’s only option."

In my opinion, he shouldn't have taken on a second family if he couldn't afford his first. His first obligation was to his own children. Did he and the second wife and her kids have to go on welfare? Bill would have told us if they did. He obviously put himself ahead of his kids.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

It sounds like Zoey learned that no one stands up for her.

Oh my gosh that’s heartbreaking. I sincerely hope she doesn’t feel that way.  

2 hours ago, Patricia07 said:

I got vibes that Bill's mother was a little uncomfortable.  And after hearing the story of her having to go on welfare, I can understand why.  

Is Bill’s mom the one who came in to the hotel room? I can’t keep any of the parents straight.

When Zoey hugged one of the grandmas she gave her a little pat on the back and it was too cute.

Her emotions are intense. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 3

I think Zoey broke the cuteness meter in this one. I felt terrible for her about the cake mess her father started. It seemed like when she broke down he may have finally 'got it' that it was wrong, & I think he said he apologized for it, although that may have been to the shop owners for the mess. Hopefully he apologized to Zoey too, & controls himself more in the future. Maybe a lesson learned the hard way to see he upset his daughter on her birthday.

The cupcake ladies were spot on bringing the cakes out for singing at that moment; I was happy for Zoey when she came around.

I wonder if those cupcakes were as good as they looked.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Libby said:

"My dad worked three jobs to support two households, and, as anyone who comes from a divorced family can attest to, money got stretched really fast. Ultimately, public assistance and welfare were Mom’s only option."

So basically Bill's Mom got the shaft. She must not have been getting much of anything in terms of alimony and child support if her income was so low she qualified for public assistance. 

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Is Bill’s mom the one who came in to the hotel room?

Yes.  And then the Bill's dad and stepmom rolled in.  No idea how soon after Bill's mom as this is all edited but it showed as if it were just minutes apart.  So Bill's mom got pushed aside.  And since she apparently doesn't see the kids that often and the dad/stepmom got to go to England, it looked like the kids barely recognized her.

• Love 2

It’s possible that Bills’ Mom didn’t work,  as she may have been very busy with Bills health issues.  Being divorced, she was entitled to some alimony (possibly). and child support... but it wouldn’t be enough  to be self sufficient with no other income.  Bills statement is matter of fact about it and doesn’t blame anyone.  We don’t know the circumstances and people can’t always stay married if they are miserable.  That doesnt always made the exhusband an ass. 

It doesnt sound like Bills Mom travels much.  This trip brought them really close to her. I wonder if she still doesn’t have any money or hates to fly? Or if there are interpersonal issues between her and her sons- the sons all live in Florida? If not, Bill could pay for her to visit more as their birthday and Christmas gifts to her. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1
On 10/18/2017 at 10:44 PM, mythoughtis said:

It’s possible that Bills’ Mom didn’t work,  as she may have been very busy with Bills health issues.  Being divorced, she was entitled to some alimony (possibly). and child support... but it wouldn’t be enough  to be self sufficient with no other income.  Bills statement is matter of fact about it and doesn’t blame anyone.  We don’t know the circumstances and people can’t always stay married if they are miserable.  That doesnt always made the exhusband an ass. 

It doesnt sound like Bills Mom travels much.  This trip brought them really close to her. I wonder if she still doesn’t have any money or hates to fly? Or if there are interpersonal issues between her and her sons- the sons all live in Florida? If not, Bill could pay for her to visit more as their birthday and Christmas gifts to her. 

When the father left her the youngest wasn't in school yet. When he went to school she got a job taking expired or almost expired food off of the shelves and redoing the inventory at supermarkets. Bill said that it didn't pay much, but she got free food. She also went back to school. They were very poor. Bill tried to find any work that he could to help her financially. In the meantime, the dad and his new wife had a four bedroom house and it sounds like they were living quite well. Bill and his brothers stayed with the dad on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and every other weekend.

On another note, when Bill had his back surgery, the mother stayed in Texas with them and nursed him while he was recuperating. I think that she was there for quite a while.

Edited by Libby
  • Love 11
13 hours ago, Patricia07 said:

I got vibes that Bill's mother was a little uncomfortable.  And after hearing the story of her having to go on welfare, I can understand why.  

Considering everybody else was "coupled" and she was by herself and had to be in the presence of her ex-husband and his wife, I felt sorry for her. It's no wonder she was uncomfortable.  I get a dick vibe from Bill's father. 

As for posters mentioning that Bill should be responsible for his own actions, not Jen, and she shouldn't have to step in during the cupcake fiasco, isn't that the whole problem? That Bill is not responsible for his actions, wants to take NO responsibility for his actions with the kids, therefore, Jen should step in, especially when she see's how upset Zoey was. Instead, she does nothing but let it carry on until Zoey steps in herself ! That is pitiful. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 18

I really think that the cupcake mess was plotted out between Bill and the producers to make things more "interesting."  They probably egg him on, and being a class clown type, Bill is happy to cooperate.  I certainly hope that the same behavior wouldn't happen if there were no camera crew.

Zoey and her mom seem so alike.  I think Zoey's brother is going to drive her crazy at times.  I'm just glad she has her own room.  Last week Zoey mentioned having a friend (Megan?) and Jen seemed happily surprised.  I think Zoey is going to have plenty of friends growing up but I'm not sure about Will.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Yes.  And then the Bill's dad and stepmom rolled in.  No idea how soon after Bill's mom as this is all edited but it showed as if it were just minutes apart.  So Bill's mom got pushed aside.  And since she apparently doesn't see the kids that often and the dad/stepmom got to go to England, it looked like the kids barely recognized her.

was that Bill's dad /stepmom? or was that  Jen's parents that were there in DC and went to England.? As I have said previously I don't think Bill's mom likes being on camera and it has nothing to do with her having been on welfare 30 years ago. Even when it is just her in the episode she barely talks on camera.

Edited by Bellalisa
4 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

Jen's parents that were there in DC and went to England.?

It was Bill's dad and step in England.  Jen's parents were in DC along with the rest of the grands except Bill's real mom's hubby.  And I agree, each time we've seen his real mom, she has seemed very uncomfortable on camera.  As I would be.

• Love 6

What we saw on camera at Zoey's birthday party was a performance for the show.

Hopefully, Bill will see how he stole Zoey's thunder and took her special day away with his antics.

Both of his parents have moved on with different spouses but you have to admire his mom's quiet dignity.

Bill's mother, Barbara is not as camera ready, not so quick to sing and dance for the TLC producers but comes off as a caring mother and grandmother.

She takes the high road and will help the family but her appearances in episodes are infrequent.

No one wants to see any past dirt of the grandparents dug up on the Little Couple show...more Zoey and Will acting naturally... not jet lagged and dragged through vacations/tours where they have to keep their hands firmly in their pockets.

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Did Bill get a scholarship to attend college or did daddy feel education was important & sprung (even if food wasn't so much) ?

Just wondering.

He got a scholarship for almost all of it. Quote from the book:

"I applied to seven schools, getting into all of them, except for Johns Hopkins. They all offered me scholarships, some full, some partial, but with enough money on the table to make the choice mine. I ultimately chose New York University in Greenwich Village for two reasons. The first was the scholarship. Nearly a full ride to a top institution!"

• Love 5

Bill taking Jen to see the place on campus where in despair he considered suicide as a college student was a heart breaking highlight of the show.

His honesty about how great his life has become with Jen and the kids, that he couldn't have predicted his great marriage and family life when he was mired in depression.

Those are the moments that keep me watching this  show.

• Love 14
19 hours ago, Snow8585 said:

There were some interesting moments last night, that's for sure. I agree with other posters that it appears that Judy has had enough of the whole TLC thing and has a good idea of what is really going on in the Klein household. Judy and Dave are not featured too much yet this season. I thought it was odd that we did not see any real footage of the Kleins at their house after they fled the hurricane.

The first episode was with the family in Florida and fleeing the hurricane.  Then the next episode starts with 18 months earlier.  We haven't seen much of Judy and Dave because they moved to Florida and Bill and Jen are still in Houston.

3 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Bill's mother, Barbara is not as camera ready, not so quick to sing and dance for the TLC producers but comes off as a caring mother and grandmother.

So sweet how Zoey gave her grandmother a big kiss on the lips and hugged her. I hope that made grandma feel loved.

2 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Jen dresses to perfection!  Love her style.

I admire her style. I often wonder how she finds the time to shop and then have everything altered. It must be exhausting. Everything is always perfect right down to the shoes and purses. Do you think she has a stylist? If I had the money I sure would. 

• Love 4

I've always had a soft spot for Bill's mom. After reading their first book it turned into mad respect. Everything she did for her boys was remarkable. It's so interesting that Bill's brothers chose to live in FL instead of NY, near their devoted mother. I do understand FL weather is far more appealing. IIRC Bill and Jen urging people to vote for Bill Sr. for a Sheriff (?) position. Not sure I'd want to vote for a dead beat father. Although his sons seem OK with how he treated his mom, and them.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 5
On 10/17/2017 at 11:20 PM, flyingdi said:

What's with all these little kids being neat freaks?  She freaked out because she got icing on her face.  Most kids I know don't mind a little mess.

I know quite a few little kids that get really upset when their hands get dirty!  

On 10/18/2017 at 2:04 AM, BitterApple said:

I could also be projecting, but Judy seems totally over it. I think she's reached that point where she's getting too old and tired to be playing nanny on all these trips. 

Nah, she's just a no BS grandma.  I'm that type of Aunt with my nephews ;)  

On 10/18/2017 at 9:07 AM, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Why she is taking pictures when the camera men are capturing everything already.  Bill said that is one reason they do the show!

On 10/18/2017 at 8:53 AM, Bellalisa said:

And the way she is about the stupid photos is crazy because their entire childhood is on film already.

Photos are kinda really different than videos.  Videos are nice to have if you want to watch once every 5 years or something but it's nice to be able to have photos out on display.  My aunt is a BIG TIME photo taker with her family.  She takes her camera everywhere.  So she would most definitely be the same as Jen in that situation trying to get her grandkids to do stuff so she could get a picture. 

I can't really remember the last time i actually watched a home video though.  But I look at old photos a lot!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

Interesting to me that Bill told the kids George Washington is a ghost.  Wouldn't that be super scary to a child?

Jen dresses to perfection!  Love her style.

Loved Zoey's reaction to the ghost : "Will he eat my brains?".  Girl knows her Zombie lore!  ;-)

Chloe Dao really knows her stuff - she is the perfect partner for Jen's impeccable style.

• Love 8

Will asked if the sheep in Scotland, and the animals at the Discovery place in Charlotte were going to eat him/them. Now Zoey with the ghost. My daughter is afraid of her shadow, yet has never asked if she’s going to be eaten. I think Will and Zoey have been binge watching Walking Dead. ☠️ JK ? Cute and creepy, the kids have range.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 3

Since Bill and his brothers seem to have a good relationship with his father, things might not be so cut and dry as they seem. For all we know, Bill’s dad’s new wife may have brought in the big bucks. It is entirely possible she bought a nice house because she her job made her enough money to do so or maybe her family helped her out. She isn’t legally responsible for his child support so it is possible he lived higher on the hog because of her.

I know of a few instances of men who married second wives who provided them with a higher standard of living they could not themselves afford.  Also, with all of Bill’s health issues, it is entirely possible it was better for the family to take some type of aid because medical insurance from the state likely went farther than what his mother could afford.

I think Bill’s mom likely hates being on camera and I will take a seat in hiding with her. There is not enough TLC money to make me allow myself to be filmed. I am awkward enough without the cameras, I would look crazy on camera. 

I think the food fight and craziness was planned for the cameras. I can’t see them doing it otherwise because, if this was their normal behavior, we would have heard about other instances of foolishness. 

• Love 2

I don't know. I started watching when Will was adopted, and loved the show. But now that there not babies anymore, they are just to spoiled and disrespectful to me. The way they yell at adults and tell them what to do, I don't know how much more I'm going to be enjoying this anymore.

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, MakingBacon said:

Since Bill and his brothers seem to have a good relationship with his father, things might not be so cut and dry as they seem. For all we know, Bill’s dad’s new wife may have brought in the big bucks. It is entirely possible she bought a nice house because she her job made her enough money to do so or maybe her family helped her out. She isn’t legally responsible for his child support so it is possible he lived higher on the hog because of her.

I know of a few instances of men who married second wives who provided them with a higher standard of living they could not themselves afford.  Also, with all of Bill’s health issues, it is entirely possible it was better for the family to take some type of aid because medical insurance from the state likely went farther than what his mother could afford.

I think Bill’s mom likely hates being on camera and I will take a seat in hiding with her. There is not enough TLC money to make me allow myself to be filmed. I am awkward enough without the cameras, I would look crazy on camera. 

I think the food fight and craziness was planned for the cameras. I can’t see them doing it otherwise because, if this was their normal behavior, we would have heard about other instances of foolishness. 

That is true. The wife could have been the one with the money. However, they would still have to be callous people to let the 3 children live so poorly when they were with their mother.

As far as the insurance goes, the father was either a cop or a fireman. I don't remember which. Both careers have very strong unions. I honestly believe that the dad had a good insurance plan to provide Bill's care.

Regarding hearing about other instances of foolishness, Bill acts that way and instigates Will almost every week on the show.

• Love 13

Like at the high tea in England. Jen was trying to teach the kids about the protocol. Bill took the strainer and used it as an eye patch, and acted like a pirate. Will took his cue, and there went another Zoey moment.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 15

Jen is no fool. At least I hope.  A woman who is director of SIMLAB and assoc professor at Hopkins has alot going for her.  Facing her condition in a predominantly male environment is not easy.  What did she say about Bill, that he makes her feel pretty or something and that is all that matters in a marriage?? Thats crazy. She needs a partner and granted we do not see it all but Bill is not stepping up. In fact,  Bill is undermining her attempts to discipline their kids. We see this episode after episode.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Snow8585 said:

Jen is no fool. At least I hope.  A woman who is director of SIMLAB and assoc professor at Hopkins has alot going for her.  Facing her condition in a predominantly male environment is not easy.  What did she say about Bill, that he makes her feel pretty or something and that is all that matters in a marriage?? Thats crazy. She needs a partner and granted we do not see it all but Bill is not stepping up. In fact,  Bill is undermining her attempts to discipline their kids. We see this episode after episode.

I don't know.  Jen is an intense, uptight, serious person - not criticizing, I'm a lot like her.  I think Bill is the right guy for her husband.  He's laid back, doesn't take himself too seriously, a jokester, but doesn't make Jen the butt of his jokes.  I think Bill is a big part of why the children are undisciplined, but I don't see much objecting by Jen.  I think Bill practically worships her, and if she laid down an opposing style of parenting, and let Bill know it was important to her, I think he'd change.  But maybe she loves him too much to make him doubt his parenting?  I just can't see Bill realizing he was setting Jen up to be almost bullied by Will - we saw him get up in her face in their trip - and being okay with it.  

• Love 6

I am not criticizing their marriage. Goddess knows how in the world my husband and I made it work with so many differences. Religion, SES, country of birth, age, and the list goes on. The attraction was mutual but that only lasts so long. We are intellectually compatible, and that might be a factor. But our values regarding how to parent our children has really helped us through some stressful times. Our son is brilliant, but in the Asperger's Syndrome continuum. One thing we decided early on is that we can't both go crazy at the same time, or the kids will suffer. By crazy I mean plain silly, riding a tricycle through Costco just to amuse our child. Or having a mental meltdown. Also supporting each other through good and bad. But if one of us had to be the "sane" one all the time, we would not be together today.

Perhaps it is all TLC smoke and mirrors, but Bill needs to do more than be a clown. Let's get real, Bill is a stay at home father, and there is nothing wrong with his role. I'm a SAHM and thus, I carry the majority of the burden of disciplining our child. Unless Bill has a busy business life we don't see on TLC, step up and help your wife. She has enough with guilt over making a nice living for all four of you. Jen does not need the added stress of hearing/reading about her bratty, unruly kids. Bill, show your love by helping her parent, not just admiring her. I think the kids are lovely and innocent in this. Reading people mocking Will's potty training issues (no one knows if or why so please let's stop, he is just a kid), real or IMAGINED must be hurtful. The kids, Jen, and Bill deserve better.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 8

Will deserves better, too.  He deserves not to hear about bratty behavior at school because another kid overheard or was told what was on the show or even watched the show.  He deserves to have a decent role model of good behavior in his same sex parent.  He deserves a shot at a self-disciplined life.

Zoey deserves to not have to shriek at people to not disrupt her parties or her life.  She already has a tendency toward a bit of going her own way.   No need to bring that out by being on the wrong side of it. 

• Love 16

I watched a rerun of Zoey 3rd birthday party and I remembered how it bothered me when Bill complained about the animals eating HIS lawn.  He also calls Will and Zoey his kids.  You never ever hear him say our kids.  Bill and his selfish behavior just irks me.  He needs to be a partner in parenting before he ruins Will.

• Love 11
On 10/19/2017 at 1:45 PM, SMama said:

I've always had a soft spot for Bill's mom. After reading their first book it turned into mad respect. Everything she did for her boys was remarkable. It's so interesting that Bill's brothers chose to live in FL instead of NY, near their devoted mother. I do understand FL weather is far more appealing. IIRC Bill and Jen urging people to vote for Bill Sr. for a Sheriff (?) position. Not sure I'd want to vote for a dead beat father. Although his sons seem OK with how he treated his mom, and them.

I live in the same County that Bill did growing up. We're having an election for Sheriff this year and I have no idea of the marital or parental status of either candidate. It's not something I look for in an elected official, unless there's some criminal scandal that gets exposed. And a huge percentage of the population is divorced, that wouldn't disqualify anyone from getting my vote. I'm divorced,  too!

• Love 1

I often refer to our home and our kids as mine too. My husband refers to all of it as his when he speaks also.   I don’t see that as a big deal. I also don’t think Bill has no income of his  own. He’s mentioned businesses (emphasis on the plural).   They may not be the kind that is easily presented on the show, or  may be in partnership with others. He was Co-owner ofsomething when the show first started.   He may not have had x dollars in cash available to start the pet store when they did. That doesn’t make him a deadbeat.  If he and Jenn choose to make his main  daily job activity being filmed,  that is their decision.  

Jenn and Bill are great people. They are not perfect. The kids are great kids who are not perfect. I’ve said before- they need to quit taking the kids to places that are over their maturity level and they need to discipline better. That is a far cry from thinking Zoe and Will are on a path of destruction.   They will discipline better as they go along- they’ve been thrown into to the parenting gig two/three years into it. They will get there. Being closer to Bills brothers who have kids will help. 

• Love 10

I live in the same County that Bill did growing up. We're having an election for Sheriff this year and I have no idea of the marital or parental status of either candidate. It's not something I look for in an elected official, unless there's some criminal scandal that gets exposed. And a huge percentage of the population is divorced, that wouldn't disqualify anyone from getting my vote. I'm divorced,  too!

Well, I would have a problem with an elected official who in the past hadn't supported his children with child support - those agreements are legal orders after all.

• Love 6

Here in Illinois people can be on public aid while receiving child support. That’s because the amount of child support combined with any income of the custodial parent might not be so much as to raise the family income above qualifying levels to receive aid.  Now, if the parent skips out on child support, public aid will go after that parent to reimburse them for aid that  they provided in place of the child support.

Having not read Bills book myself- does it say Bills’ Dad skipped out  on child support or just that  they  received public aid?  Because  I don’t think child support for 3 kids is enough income without the custodial parent also working.  Let’s not crucify divorced fathers, including Bills’ Dad, because they can’t provide enough income for their exwife  to be a SAHM. 

I have an extended family member who receives child support and welfare and is attending LPN school right now. 

• Love 2
On 10/18/2017 at 8:19 PM, Libby said:

I posted this earlier. I brought it forward to answer the question regarding child support. I will just add that the book said that the dad and the new wife had a four bedroom house.

Edited by Libby

So he did pay child support, and did provide appropriate housing in the form of bedrooms for them for the  times they were at his home.    and worked 3 jobs to do so.  What more should he have done?  

My deadbeat father paid no child support for the 3 of us, and never acknowledged we existed after my mother divorced him.  

• Love 4

I didn't know about the backstory about Bill's parents divorce....Did his mother attempt to go back to work or receive training after their divorce in order to become more self reliant? Or did she position herself to remain a stay at home woman and expect to be completely supported by her ex-husband? Child support for 3 children is not cheap. I hope Bill's father kept up his end of being their father. His responsibility is limited to his ex-wife, though as she should make efforts to be employed herself. What's the story on that? I don't want to have any inaccurate or unfair opinion about them. Fair is fair after all. I also noticed that Bill's mother was quite uncomfortable having to be in her ex's and his present wife's company. I don't think it was really fair to put her in that situation especially with cameras that catch all. I hope they all have a good relationship with each other, or as good as they can make it.

• Love 1

Bill had a lot of surgeries growing up. What was the mother supposed to do? Leave him to fend for himself? Bill Sr. Is just a plain dead beat father. Bill should have taken his mother and her husband to Scotland and England. He is an ingrate. 

• Love 5

Quote from the book:

"Mom entered the workforce willing to give anything a try. And once Joe started school, she started working as a sales rep for various food distributors. She’d go to the supermarkets within her territory to check for expired or almost-expired products and remove them from the shelves, alerting the restocker about the change in inventory. She would perform store resets and document the work with photos. Even though the work didn’t pay that well, she was able to get a lot of food free that way, which was the unexpected perk that benefited us the most. With three boys at home, food was a big part of the home expenses. After traveling long miles between supermarkets in the mornings and afternoons, Mom usually got home after Joe, Tom, and I got home from school. She would often run out of money no matter how much she stretched her dollar. The food stamps helped, but I wanted to help, too. I developed an uncanny ability to fix things or work for pay."

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, floridamom said:

His responsibility is limited to his ex-wife, though as she should make efforts to be employed herself.

There are undoubtedly multiple sides to the story.  On the surface it does look a bit unbalanced.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 3

Thank you for your information regarding Bill's parents' divorce. Like I said, I didn't know any details, just that they were divorced. If his father had health insurance, and being in public service, I'm sure he did I would hope that he would have provided that for his children and wasn't a deadbeat dad. Like I posted earlier, I felt badly for Bill's mother being 'on camera' with her ex husband and his current wife. No matter the circumstances, it hurts a bit to see one's replacement.  Thanks for providing more info on it. Though, Bill shared it in a book evidently, that I haven't read, I feel that story isn't really any of my business. I have watched this show on and off for a few years and I watch it for the 4 principals of the show. I genuinely like them. They are nice people.

• Love 2

Hello all...long time lurker, first time poster. I feel like I have to say this...mythoughtis, my heart bleeds for you. I had the best father a girl could ask for. When he passed away, I was so distraught. When your daughter cries every day for 6 months after you pass on, you were a damn good father! But as much as grieving hurts, I've always been fully aware that I am LUCKY to have had him in the first place. Even though his death really hurts me, I can only imagine the hurt one feels when a father isn't around at all.

The only info I know about Bill's dad is what you guys are posting here, so I don't feel that's enough for me to have an opinion...but I will say, at least Bill's dad didn't just take off.

• Love 4