Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E10: Bob the Builder

• Start Topic

Ray and Terry put their differences aside to try and fix Bunchy's problem once and for all. Meanwhile, Jay asks for a secret meeting with Daryll to decide the future of the movie and their relationship; Bridget's last-ditch effort to save Smitty lands her in an unexpected place; and in the wake of a tragedy, Ray turns on Sam - consequences be damned.

Promo:

Clips:

Hmm, the Donovans have to have their way no matter what.

Ray won't forgive Terry, who saved his life.

Bunchy wants his money, almost got Ray killed.

Mickey wants his script made into a movie, even if it could get him in trouble.

And now Bridget was going to make the doctor perform surgery on her bf at all costs.

No matter the consequences, though Ray has always fixed everything so maybe they don't think they'll ever suffer any consequences or believe that Irish luck will run out.

Mickey and Daryl riffing on street names for ED pills was good.

Now maybe Ray's way of recovering from his wounds is to drink himself into a stupor and watching some mindless TV shopping network selling cheap jewelry.  Or maybe he's fascinated with one of the woman presenters.  

How's he going to fix Bridget's problem?  Audrey from 24 doesn't seem to be in a forgiving mood.

Then he's going to have to save Mickey again.  And Daryl.  

But he's got to wonder why his relatives are all committing crimes.  Like Conor said, Ray's a gangster and they respect that?

• Love 3
9 hours ago, scrb said:

Now maybe Ray's way of recovering from his wounds is to drink himself into a stupor and watching some mindless TV shopping network selling cheap jewelry.  Or maybe he's fascinated with one of the woman presenters.  

How's he going to fix Bridget's problem?  Audrey from 24 doesn't seem to be in a forgiving mood.

Then he's going to have to save Mickey again.  And Daryl.  

I kept thinking that I was supposed to know who at least one of those women were.  But, of course, if we did they would have surely shown her on the "previouslies."

I have to think fixing Bridget's problem will involve Darryl and Mickey.  And not saving Mickey.  But that may just be my wishful thinking.

• Love 1

I could hear Ezra's voice in my head saying, "Don't ever put your gun away, Raymond," when he was at that house to get Bunchy's money back.

So I guess now we know where Dr. Teddy went after she left Seattle Grace Mercy Death.

Bridget's entire storyline had me rolling my eyes. First of all, you can't just stroll into a medical conference. It usually costs hundreds of dollars to attend. But secondly you don't just get to demand that a doctor perform a surgery. I didn't hear everything that the doctor said, but it was only a few months ago that the surgery was part of a clinical trial. That means the doctor can't just pick and choose who gets to be part of the trial. There is exclusion criteria and if he has meningitis, this experimental surgery isn't going to change that. If he's dying (as Bridget claims), this surgery won't change that either. Pointing a gun at a doctor doesn't seem the smartest way to get a doctor to agree to letting someone into a clinical trial either. There's desperate and then there's stupid.

Mickey continues to be the worst. I don't even want to go into all the reasons why. He just sucks at everything. I wish Darryl would just cut a deal and turn in Mickey.

I never would have pegged Ray as the kind of guy who enjoys watching those jewelry shopping channels. As soon as I saw the blond host, I thought he was going to imagine her turning into Abby.

I was waiting to hear why Ray wouldn't kill Doug since he clearly hasn't had a problem killing people in the past (including earlier today when he was getting Bunchy's money back).

• Love 2

I continue to appreciate the way this show has stayed true to its original premise. Ray is a professional Hollywood fixer but he spends at least half his time getting his own wretched family members out of trouble--for free. And now it looks like Bridget is starting up the third generation of hapless Donovan criminals.

Mickey continues to be the worst. I don't even want to go into all the reasons why. He just sucks at everything. I wish Darryl would just cut a deal and turn in Mickey.

Every week while watching this show I find myself wondering who's ultimately to blame for the mess that is the Donovan family. Is it Mickey for having set such a poor example to begin with, or is it Ray for continuing to rescue and enable Mickey, his brothers, and his kids? A little from both column A and column B, I guess.

I'm just wondering...has Ray ever owned a white shirt that didn't end up with bloodstains all over it?

That's probably why he buys white shirts by the gross. He could just wear black shirts but maybe that would make him look too much like a typical gangster.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Every week while watching this show I find myself wondering who's ultimately to blame for the mess that is the Donovan family. 

If the show gets renewed, there should be "Sliding DoorsIt's A Wonderful Life" episode where Sully successfully kills Mickey and we see the alternate timeline unfold....

• Love 2

That Urgent Care scene was so fake. I won't begin to list the reasons that it wasn't correct. 

What was with the hanging dog? I wonder that the owner killed him because he didn't warn his owner about the last time Bunchy was there. I can't recall but would have to go back and rewatch. I disliked seeing it as an animal lover. 

Bridget is a very messed up young lady. I understand why (her family) but I think that she wouldn't have taken it so far had she felt love from her father versus getting shoo'd away when her Mom died. 

Did Abby get her necklace from HSN? Might explain why Ray was watching it. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

That Urgent Care scene was so fake. I won't begin to list the reasons that it wasn't correct. 

What was with the hanging dog? I wonder that the owner killed him because he didn't warn his owner about the last time Bunchy was there. I can't recall but would have to go back and rewatch. I disliked seeing it as an animal lover. 

Bridget is a very messed up young lady. I understand why (her family) but I think that she wouldn't have taken it so far had she felt love from her father versus getting shoo'd away when her Mom died. 

Did Abby get her necklace from HSN? Might explain why Ray was watching it. 

The dog upset me and it added nothing to the story or scene.  I know it was fake but I don't need that shit in my life.

Wasn't the necklace from Cartier?  It was a red box, I think.

4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I continue to appreciate the way this show has stayed true to its original premise. Ray is a professional Hollywood fixer but he spends at least half his time getting his own wretched family members out of trouble--for free. And now it looks like Bridget is starting up the third generation of hapless Donovan criminals.

Every week while watching this show I find myself wondering who's ultimately to blame for the mess that is the Donovan family. Is it Mickey for having set such a poor example to begin with, or is it Ray for continuing to rescue and enable Mickey, his brothers, and his kids? A little from both column A and column B, I guess.

That's probably why he buys white shirts by the gross. He could just wear black shirts but maybe that would make him look too much like a typical gangster.

I did the same thing.  When they were all at the vet's office, the comment was made that Ray took over taking care of everyone when they knew their mom was sick.  Well, he's doing it his way.  That's for sure.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Puddy said:

I know it was fake but I don't need that shit in my life.

Nor me.  I can't watch those SPCA commercials.....I start crying and wanting to put my fist through the screen.   Or hunt the humans down that did this to them.  

• Love 3

The dog upset me and it added nothing to the story or scene

Actually I thought it was being used as a deterrent. No one wants to go near a dead dog hanging from a chain. I've been told drug dealers use dead critters, bones, whatnot to protect a stash in abandoned houses, garages, etc.

Every single Donovan is in serious trouble or incapacitated in some manner. As badly as some of it is,  I do hope it's renewed.

Of note, my close caption called the wild guy 'Acid Man'. I thought he'd be Meth Man or Gibberish Man. And did he ever have a coherent line? What are the SAG rules on that?

• Love 2

"What happens in Urgent Care stays in Urgent Care".  Line of the night.

So Bridget is going to the big house for a few years for assault with a deadly weapon.  She's finally a true Donovan.

How is it that raving Texas Chainsaw Massacre lunatic kept catching people by surprise, including Ray?  The guy had the stealth skills of a rabid dog for crying out loud.

Every time Ray kept watching that stupid shopping channel, I was screaming at him to change the channel to Animal Planet or something.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

Actually I thought it was being used as a deterrent. No one wants to go near a dead dog hanging from a chain. I've been told drug dealers use dead critters, bones, whatnot to protect a stash in abandoned houses, garages, etc.

He had one of the dog's legs in the kitchen drawer so I'm pretty sure that Acid Man was just fucking nuts.

• Love 3

I tell you, don't show me a dead dog hanging from a tree, there is no reason for that anywhere at any time. What in the hell is wrong with these writers, they are sick.  Why don't you just have Ray cook up a shih tzu and serve it to his spoiled ugly kids next. God! Enough already, I am through with this crap and this show. Love you Liev, but I can't take dead dogs, no matter what. Ta Ta.

• Love 4

I was also so upset by the dog that I literally had my hand up to block myself seeing that part of the screen once they showed it.  I love that we are all so upset by it - we were able to hang on for people being dismembered and dropped into the ocean, but don't kill a dog dammit!!

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

I was also so upset by the dog that I literally had my hand up to block myself seeing that part of the screen once they showed it.  I love that we are all so upset by it - we were able to hand on for people being dismembered and dropped into the ocean, but don't kill a dog dammit!!

I couldn't watch it either, and I HATE when shows use the deaths of animals to try to shock or manipulate their audience - it's just disgusting and wrong.  My "story" take on it was that Psycho Guy had a dog-fighting biz going (wasn't there a ring in the barn?) - it's something that really does happen in the SF valley and parts north like Palmdale.  The hanging dog reminded me of Michael Vick's dog  fighting "sport" because i remember they found dogs hanged on that property when they busted the fucking asshole.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

He had one of the dog's legs in the kitchen drawer so I'm pretty sure that Acid Man was just fucking nuts.

It could be used as a club in an emergency....

• Love 1
7 hours ago, TexasGal said:

I was also so upset by the dog that I literally had my hand up to block myself seeing that part of the screen once they showed it.  I love that we are all so upset by it - we were able to hang on for people being dismembered and dropped into the ocean, but don't kill a dog dammit!!

Of course they didn't really kill a dog.

The swarm of flies look like CGI so the dog's body may have been as well.

As for WHY they depicted it, I guess the guy that Terry ends up killing before he could shoot Ray is suppose to be crazy.

Or maybe the FX guy or production designer wanted some memorable image about that place.

3 hours ago, panthergirl13 said:

Have been trying to figure out if the show has been renewed for S6. No info out there that I can see. They'd have an awful lot to wrap up in 2 episodes if not.

Unless the ratings really dropped off this season, I would think Showtime would be willing to renew.

But the cast, especially Liev, and the show runner may want to move onto something else.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, scrb said:

Of course they didn't really kill a dog.

The swarm of flies look like CGI so the dog's body may have been as well.

As for WHY they depicted it, I guess the guy that Terry ends up killing before he could shoot Ray is suppose to be crazy.

Or maybe the FX guy or production designer wanted some memorable image about that place.

Yes, I realize that.  I also realize they didn't actual dismember anyone.  It was more a comment on how many of us are more sensitive to violence being depicted against animals than people.  Especially the people on this show, although sadly the ones who deserve it don't always get it.  (Kidding.)  (Kind of.)

I was under the impression before the season started that that it was the last, but now I don't know why.  I can't find anything to confirm why I thought that.

• Love 1
On 10/17/2017 at 2:37 PM, panthergirl13 said:

Have been trying to figure out if the show has been renewed for S6. No info out there that I can see. They'd have an awful lot to wrap up in 2 episodes if not.

From the start of this season it's felt to me like a final season.  Everything that's gone on since episode one makes me feel that much more so we're coming to the end of the road with Ray and the rest of the Donovans.

• Love 3
On 10/16/2017 at 6:11 PM, WaltersHair said:

Every single Donovan is in serious trouble or incapacitated in some manner. As badly as some of it is,  I do hope it's renewed.

Of note, my close caption called the wild guy 'Acid Man'. I thought he'd be Meth Man or Gibberish Man. And did he ever have a coherent line? What are the SAG rules on that?

I laughed when I saw "acid man" too!  So, that's what acid does to you.  Huh.  Who knew?

Terry shooting him was great for me because, dogs.

On 10/16/2017 at 5:37 PM, Carolina Girl said:

Nor me.  I can't watch those SPCA commercials.....I start crying and wanting to put my fist through the screen.   Or hunt the humans down that did this to them.  

I avoid certain channels to avoid the commercials.  I feel bad because I know they need money and do good work.  Just wait until I win the lottery.  You will see how this can be done the right way.

On 10/17/2017 at 9:28 AM, atlantaloves said:

I tell you, don't show me a dead dog hanging from a tree, there is no reason for that anywhere at any time. What in the hell is wrong with these writers, they are sick.  Why don't you just have Ray cook up a shih tzu and serve it to his spoiled ugly kids next. God! Enough already, I am through with this crap and this show. Love you Liev, but I can't take dead dogs, no matter what. Ta Ta.

I agree.  What did it add to the story or the scene?  Not much that I can see.  If they wanted to depict dog fighting, how about some big, barking dogs in cages?  I get that the guy was nuts but get a clue, writers.

On 10/17/2017 at 10:47 AM, TexasGal said:

I look at it like this~ 

The dogs have no choice.  People do.  More often than not, anyone that got killed was doing something stupid with no regard for the consequences they were creating.

What I want to know is, who the hell picked up baby Maria from daycare???  And how long was she there?  Wife (can't remember her name) was very welcoming to Bunchy, so she didn't seem upset or maybe didn't know that baby Maria had been abandoned.

• Love 4

I love me some Susan Sarandon, but this storyline is, like it's not even there.  All I know is she was in a drunk driving accident which killed her child many many years ago and she has her stuff in a box.  She's married? divorced? to the guy who was sleeping with the terrible acting actress.  And she has a weird grown son who likes Shelley Duvall.  This is what they signed Susan up for?  Talk about a waste of a good talent.

• Love 5
On 10/20/2017 at 6:01 PM, roughing it said:

I love me some Susan Sarandon, but this storyline is, like it's not even there.  All I know is she was in a drunk driving accident which killed her child many many years ago and she has her stuff in a box.  She's married? divorced? to the guy who was sleeping with the terrible acting actress.  And she has a weird grown son who likes Shelley Duvall.  This is what they signed Susan up for?  Talk about a waste of a good talent.

My sentiments EXACTLY.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 10/20/2017 at 9:01 AM, roughing it said:

She's married? divorced? to the guy who was sleeping with the terrible acting actress.  And she has a weird grown son who likes Shelley Duvall. 

She's married. The grown son is her stepson, George. Doug, the guy who was sleeping with Natalie, the terrible actress, is her business partner, not her husband.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1
On 10/20/2017 at 7:58 AM, roughing it said:

What I want to know is, who the hell picked up baby Maria from daycare???  And how long was she there?  Wife (can't remember her name) was very welcoming to Bunchy, so she didn't seem upset or maybe didn't know that baby Maria had been abandoned.

I've been wondering about Maria ever since Mick dropped her off and then got himself thrown in a trunk or whatever.  Poor kid.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:09 AM, Mindthinkr said:

The owner was a meth head or I guess an "acid guy".  I doubt there was a logical or sane reason.  It was likely something as crazy as he thought the dog was sent by the FBI to spy on him.  Whenever I try to apply logic to someone on hard drugs I remember the headlines from a few years ago about a little boy who's dad ate his eyeballs.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I've been wondering about Maria ever since Mick dropped her off and then got himself thrown in a trunk or whatever.  Poor kid.

The owner was a meth head or I guess an "acid guy".  I doubt there was a logical or sane reason.  It was likely something as crazy as he thought the dog was sent by the FBI to spy on him.  Whenever I try to apply logic to someone on hard drugs I remember the headlines from a few years ago about a little boy who's dad ate his eyeballs.

*shuddering*. Never heard that one....uh, thanks? 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

*shuddering*. Never heard that one....uh, thanks? 

There are certain parts of California that consistently produce horrific headlines due to the prevalence of meth.  The eyeball eating dad was on PCP, but still...

• Love 2
3 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

There are certain parts of California that consistently produce horrific headlines due to the prevalence of meth.  The eyeball eating dad was on PCP, but still...

I know there's a huge drug infestation but in my area we hear very little about meth (or things like PcP). Here it's an opioid/heroin problem and our stories are mostly of people who OD. It's not unusual to hear on the news about not taking drug A packets labeled bla bla because it's been causing overdoses. 

All the regular news is bad enough without hearing stories like that. 

• Love 1

We've got that too.  Opioids just make you too lazy to terrorize, unlike crank.  I can't remember if they even said on the show where they were at and what the drug was or if I just assumed they were somewhere between LA and Palmdale/Lancaster or the IE and the fools were dealing meth just based on how it all looked.  Either way, it is surprising to me that he was "acid man" because he screamed speed freak to me (not that I'm an expert).

• Love 1
On 10/17/2017 at 9:28 AM, atlantaloves said:

On 10/18/2017 at 6:35 PM, Puddy said:

Terry shooting him was great for me because, dogs.

I avoid certain channels to avoid the commercials.  I feel bad because I know they need money and do good work.  Just wait until I win the lottery.  You will see how this can be done the right way.

I agree.  What did it add to the story or the scene?  Not much that I can see.  If they wanted to depict dog fighting, how about some big, barking dogs in cages?  I get that the guy was nuts but get a clue, writers.

I look at it like this~ 

The dogs have no choice.  People do.  More often than not, anyone that got killed was doing something stupid with no regard for the consequences they were creating.

It made everyone not mind that the Donovans killed a guy whose house they broke into--twice.

• Love 1