Type keyword(s) to search

Lost - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Currently doing a Lost rewatch, and I'm up to season 5.

1) Who were your 5-7 favorite characters?

John Locke, Desmond, Ben, Hurley, Sawyer, Miles

2) Who were your 5-7 LEAST favorite characters? 

Shannon, Pickett, Nikki, Paolo, Zoe, Ana Lucia

3) How would you rank the seasons from favorite to least favorite? 

1, 5, 3 (most of the season is rock solid), 4, 6, 2

4) What were your 10(ish!) favorite episodes? 

The Constant, Walkabout, The Pilot, Dead is Dead, The Man Behind the Curtain, Through the Looking Glass, There's No Place Like Home, 316, Live Together Die Alone, The End

5) What were your favorite actual/would-be romantic relationships? 

Desmond & Penny

6) What were your LEAST favorite romantic relationships?

Sayid & Shannon

7) What were your favorite friendships/frenemyships/non-romantic relationships?

Jin & Michael

• Love 1

Yes: I loved John's genuine compassion and affection -- his maturity; his serenity, really -- with Jack and with Ben in the Sideways world. He wasn't thwarted anymore, already. He had made his peace, with himself and with his place in the world.

• Love 3

Jack, Kate, Desmond, Juliet, Hurley, Sun, Ben

Sawyer, Charlie, Ana Lucia, Michael, Achara, Susan, Sarah

4 >2> 1> > 5> 3 > 6

The Candidate, Through the Looking Glass, Something Nice Back Home, The Man From Tallahassee, Walkabout, 316, Whit Rabbit, What Kate Did, Left Behind, Man of Faith, Man of Science, The Constant

Jack/Kate my absolute favorite, Jin and Sun, Penny and Desmond, Rose and Bernard, and Juliet/James

Kate and Sawyer - awful and toxic

Jack/Sayid, Jack/Sun, Jack/Sawyer, Sun/Kate, Jack/Locke, Jack/Hurley, Sawyer/Miles. 

Fionnula Flanagan (Ellie Hawking) has been nominated for a Tony!

Best Featured Actress in a Play
Fionnula Flanagan, The Ferryman
Celia Keenan-Bolger, To Kill a Mockingbird
Kristine Nielsen, Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus
Julie White, Gary: A Sequel to Titus Andronicus
Ruth Wilson, King Lear

• Love 2

I've started my re-watch of Lost from the beginning. Man, once you watch one episode you can't stop. I finished Season 1 this weekend.

I still get emotional and cry at moments. I jumped at Arzt blowing up, even though I knew it was coming. I do love this show. It may not have answered all the questions, but it is the characters that are at the heart of the show.

I forgot how mechanical sounding the Smoke Monster was in the first season. And I just noticed in the last episode that when Hurley is rushing for his plane, they show a girls soccer team standing in a row with the numbers on their jerseys. LOL

It seemed like "something" was trying hard to stop Hurley getting on the plane. I wonder why? I can't remember if they say later.

• Love 1
(edited)

I absolutely LOVE tv drama and lost on islands scenarios; the blue lagoon, castaway, lord of the flies....I'm dating myself.

I did not watch Lost in realtime; but the show has become my favorite binge watch in Hulu era.  I think what makes the show so fascinating and captivating are the array of diverse characters..To me each character brings his/her own ethnicity to the island and show how we all do coexist in peace and in disharmony. I loved the accents, the personal ethnic stories, and the appreciation each character showed for one another, i.e. the short convo and endearment btw Charlie and Naiomi "Fellow Manchurian".

Yes, the storyline sucked but the characters is why I watch to the end, over and over. I think this was a once in a lifetime ensemble! 

My favorite character has to be Hurley, and Charlie. Hilarious! I love the Male bonding scenes! Hilarious! I loved Sawyer's on time wit and exact nicknames but hated his brooding. Kate should have done time for the numerous crimes she committed and continues to committ; kidnapping a kid. She always have a reason for breaking the law. Pathetic! As Ben said to Sawyer before Sawyer pummeled into him "you can never compete with a first rate surgeon..." Kate Cant hold a candle to Juliet. Ana Lucia and Libby brought more variety and spice but I think they were dispensable because they took the spotlight off of Kate.  I grew to like Shannon but didn't buy "I loved her" from Sayid at the gravesight. She was a convenient booty call since Kate was wrapped up with Jack and Sawyer. Speaking of Sayid, karma's a bitch! But he was the real hero to me. I loved Ben, John and Miles. I actually have a secret crush on Miles.....wink wink. 

I would love to see a reunion btw cast and them going back to the island to check on Ben and Hurley.

Edited by BKTiffanys
(edited)

She may be the most successful post lost. I know Michael Emerson was on some TV show for a while not sure if he is still on it and a lot of them are on Hawaii five O. And I've seen parts of Dominic Magham's nature show. But Evangeline Lily is actually in major blockbluster movies.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1

I've been thinking about rewatching Lost lately, but I'm not sure I have it in me. Mostly when I think about the show, I remember the frustration and rage I felt about all the dropped plotlines/characters and the unanswered questions. But I also remember how much this show consumed me and how it had so many genuinely good and surprising moments, so that may balance out more for me on rewatch. 

I do wish that Lindelof/Cuse would do a series of interviews or blog posts or something to discuss what the original plans were for characters and how that changed. For example, so much is made of Walt being special...then the actor gets homesick and wants off the show so that all gets dropped. And I absolutely agree that it would have been cruel to hold a miserable child to a contract just for the plot of a show, but that doesn't make me less curious about what their original intent was for him (and by extension, Michael). Likewise with Ana Lucia and Libby who were both suddenly killed off after being arrested for DUIs. I don't think they were originally supposed to leave the show so early, so what was intended for them long term? I believe a similar situation also happened with Eko (he wanted off the show, got a DUI, and was killed off).  Abd I also wonder how much network interference may have happened (for better or worse). 

It would be interesting to see this show rebooted someday, with new showrunners who would have the opportunity to learn from the mistakes made here. I'm fascinated by The Others and the Dharma stuff and what the hell was going on with them, and it's never satisfactorily explained. It would be interesting to see answers for them or how characters would have evolved differently with showrunners who had a grander plan in place (or a network who wasn't trying to push love triangles). But that will likely never happen, and if it does, they'll probably make a whole new set of mistakes for fans to complain about. 

• Love 1

For example, so much is made of Walt being special...then the actor gets homesick and wants off the show so that all gets dropped. And I absolutely agree that it would have been cruel to hold a miserable child to a contract just for the plot of a show, but that doesn't make me less curious about what their original intent was for him (and by extension, Michael

I don't recall him being homesick at all, I could be wrong though. I thought it was because he grew up to fast for the role. Like he's suppose to be 11 but the actor was like 16. It honestly was a casting issue.  He clearly liked being on the show as he recurred in multiple episodes after that.

• Love 1
On 5/18/2019 at 10:56 AM, Jenniferbug said:

I've been thinking about rewatching Lost lately, but I'm not sure I have it in me.

I thought that too, but once I started I couldn't stop. I finished Season 2 this past weekend.

Since I know how things end, I don't really think about what wasn't answered satisfactorily. I'm just enjoying the characters and maybe picking up on things I may have missed before. But yeah, the Walt thing was weird. He seems to be able to conjure/communicate with animals or something (the bird, polar bear, Vincent) and he astral projects or something? The Other asked Michael if Walt ever appeared somewhere else. I don't know. LOL

• Love 1
On 5/19/2019 at 7:07 PM, blueray said:

I don't recall him being homesick at all, I could be wrong though. I thought it was because he grew up to fast for the role. Like he's suppose to be 11 but the actor was like 16. It honestly was a casting issue.  He clearly liked being on the show as he recurred in multiple episodes after that.

You are probably right! For some reason I was remembering a lot of talk at the time about him missing friends and family back home, but it does seem like the growth spurt is the accepted reason for them writing him off. Which is also kind of ridiculous of the writers- paralysis and cancer can be healed "just because" of the island, but a growth spurt can't possibly be explained? Ok, then, writers! Or maybe they shouldn't have cast prepubescent children knowing that the show's time span was going to be small. I do wonder if today's TV audience would be more accepting of them killing Walt than they would have been in 2006. I know I probably sound like a major Walt fan or something. I'm not, I just really don't like plot points that go nowhere and are never resolved.

5 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I thought that too, but once I started I couldn't stop. I finished Season 2 this past weekend.

Since I know how things end, I don't really think about what wasn't answered satisfactorily. I'm just enjoying the characters and maybe picking up on things I may have missed before. But yeah, the Walt thing was weird. He seems to be able to conjure/communicate with animals or something (the bird, polar bear, Vincent) and he astral projects or something? The Other asked Michael if Walt ever appeared somewhere else. I don't know. LOL

I'm sure I'll probably watch it again sometime! Maybe this summer. I still have my season DVDs (aside from the last season which I never bought). I'm sure binge watching helps too. I used to scrutinize every details on message boards after each episode and during every hiatus and I think doing that probably hurt my enjoyment of the show in the long run when so much ended up either being not answered or very vaguely addressed (the "sickness", for example). It was a helluva lot of fun dissecting everything at the time though! 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Jenniferbug said:

You are probably right! For some reason I was remembering a lot of talk at the time about him missing friends and family back home, but it does seem like the growth spurt is the accepted reason for them writing him off. Which is also kind of ridiculous of the writers- paralysis and cancer can be healed "just because" of the island, but a growth spurt can't possibly be explained? Ok, then, writers!

I agree... it was so easy to explain.  He was kidnapped by the Others, so maybe they took him to the heart of the island and he began to age faster, or something... anything.  They just didn't know what to do with him.  The actor really wanted to come back with a recurring role.  He said so in an interview during Season 6.  It's too bad the Writers couldn't have thought of something.  Their need to write out Walt basically destroyed Michael as a character as well.

I do wish that Lindelof/Cuse would do a series of interviews or blog posts or something to discuss what the original plans were for characters and how that changed.

This is one of the shows where they were pretty much making it up as they went along.  They were surprised they didn't get cancelled after a few episodes, which shows right off the bat that six seasons weren't planned out.  Lindelof and Cuse didn't conceive the show themselves, so I don't blame them for not knowing how it was supposed to end.  It seems like they did a lot of brainstorming of possibilities, but I doubt they themselves could pinpoint what their exact plans were for the various characters, especially in the long-term.  

Normally, I would be bothered by nothing being planned, but with "Lost", I just enjoyed the journey.  I actually don't mind that the mysteries sometimes went nowhere.  Even on rewatch, I just like the feeling of being weirded out without really needing an answer.  I really disliked the Island parts of Season 6, so I never bought the whole MIB/Jacob Cave of Light explanation anyway.  

Whatever can be said about their lack of long-range planning, the Writers did a good job of meticulously planning out each season's arc and storylines/twists, which led to satisfying conclusions and finales.  I think that's what I mostly focus on when I have rewatched in the past... that and the character moments.  It helped that I liked all the characters on the diverse cast.  When I last rewatched, I once again appreciated how they kept the show fresh by giving each season a different approach.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Having finished my re-watch, I can see why some people had problems with Season 6. The sideways stuff felt like a waste of time ultimately. I would've rather seen more island stuff fleshed out.

I know people question the Sayid and Shannon thing, but if you notice Sayid says that the woman he loved died in his arms and MiB promised to bring her back. No name is mentioned, so that could've been either Shannon or Nadia. They purposely left it ambiguous until we see the end at the church.

All in all, it was still a good show.

Just finished a rewatch, I really loved this show.

1-Who were your 5-7 favorite characters?

Jack, Hurley, Sun, Jin, Sayid, Eko

2- Who were your 5-7 LEAST favorite characters? 

Ben, Locke (both actors were fabulous and had great moments still didn't like them), Juliet

3- How would you rank the seasons from favorite to least favorite? 

1, 4, 3, 2, 6, 5

4- What were your 10(ish!) favorite episodes? 

The Pilot, Through the Looking Glass, The 23rd Psalm, Exodus, The End, LA X, Ji Yeon,

5- What were your favorite actual/would-be romantic relationships? 

Sun and Jin, Rose and Bernard

6-What were your LEAST favorite romantic relationships?

Juliet and Sawyer, the triangle

7-What were your favorite friendships/frenemyships/non-romantic relationships?

Jack and Hurley, Hurley and pretty much everyone honestly, Sayid and Jack, Kate and Claire

Also unpopular but the sideways stories are some of my favorite parts about season six.

Edited by Grumpymonkey
errors!

After many years, I started rewatching the series about a month ago.  It’s like seeing an old friend.  An old, dysfunctional, mystifying friend, who doesn’t make a lot of sense but is entertain as hell.  Just started season 4.

• Love 2

Watching new time viewer reactions on Youtube recently, especially as they get to seasons 4 and 5 has me falling in love with the show all over again. It's helping get over my disappointment in the finale. It'll always bug me not getting answers but the characters are just so great. Well, most of them. Jack still pisses me off and I'll always hate Kate but most of the characters I loved seeing again: Locke, Sawyer, Hurley, Charlie, Sayid, Claire, Shannon, Boone, Desmond, Penny, Sun and Jin, Bernard and Rose, Michael and WAAAAAAAALT, Mr. Eko, Lucia, Libby, Ben Linus(he's such an enjoyable little @#$), Rousseau, Juliet, Miles, Daniel Faraday, Charlotte, Frank Lapidus, Eloise Hawking, Charles Widmore, Richard Alperte, even Jacob and the Man in Black.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

I am rewatching it too, up to the middle of season five. I LOVED The Finale and Re-Watch it all the time, but by the time seasons five and six came, I watched each episode once and moved on. So upon rewatch, I am surprised how little I remember the fifth season and how much I am digging it. 

I always did love its balance between episodic and serialization. I loved that you can refer to episodes as The Third Season Claire episode or The Fifth Season Miles episode. You may not recall specific plot points in those episodes but you will likely remember important character or relationship moments.

The show also really made the small supporting characters seemed weighty and important. There is a brief shot of Jack’s mom, Sun’s parents and Hurley’s folks as they wait for the Oceanic Six to arrive. That combination is so strange but it made me really want to listen to their conversations with each other.

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 2
On 11/27/2019 at 10:34 PM, memememe76 said:

The show also really made the small supporting characters seemed weighty and important. There is a brief shot of Jack’s mom, Sun’s parents and Hurley’s folks as they wait for the Oceanic Six to arrive. That combination is so strange but it made me really want to listen to their conversations with each other.

That would have awesome and would have made an interesting conversation. They probably did talk while they waited for them to arrive.

• Love 2

Started doing a Lost rewatch 2 days ago, and I'm up to season 2 right now.

My main rewatch thought is I remembered several of these characters being annoying but, man, I didn't remember HOW annoying. 

Jack, Kate, Michael and Charlie are the worst IMHO. Their constant overreactions totally take me out of the show and I want to slap all of them 99% of the time. I HATE when they are on screen and I end up FF through their scenes most of the time, if possible. 

Second worst are Ana-Lucia and Shannon, although Shannon did grow on me towards the end when she was trying to be better. 

My favorites are Locke, island Mr. Eko, Hurley and sometimes Sun.

Jack and Kate

Jin & Michael

Honestly, I'm one of the few that watched more for the mythos and mystery of the island than the characters. I wish that had driven the plot more than the character - crap.

• Love 3

I remember at the time, I was disappointed that they were going to end it at season 6. But highsight that was the right move. And it got me my favorite seasons 4 & 5. The shorter seasons and the set ending improved the show.

(edited)

I know this thread is mostly dead but I am doing a rewatch and want to put some thoughts as I go through it.

First, I miss the Fuselage board. I'd like to go back and re-read some topics.

I really, REALLY wish they would come up with another show this good with all the Easter eggs both in the aired TV content and on the web. They really went all out on it. 

No matter how many times I watch this, Michael and Charlie have to be the most annoying characters that are mostly a$$holes. They are always flying off the cuff at the slightest thing and doing the exact wrong thing at the wrong time. They were both given mini-redemption type arcs but I don't think it was enough for them. Out of the 2, I would guess that Michael was given the better redemption but not by much. 

Second most annoying are Jack and Kate. I actually really don't like Kate who the view is supposed to side with despite the constant lying and conniving. She is worse than Sawyer because she acts like she is good and doing the right thing while she is causing more problems than she is helping to solve. She is always sticking her nose where it doesn't belong and ends up messing up good plans because the other castaways have to save her from being captured all the time. 

Jack is annoying in that he acts like he is the logical one and yet is always flying off the handle because his emotions take over. 

Who do you think was the best candidate? I think the best candidate was Hurley, honestly, but they did need Jack to fight the MiB. And that was one time when Kate interfered the right way. I also think that Locke would have been a great candidate as he always believed in the island.

Who do you think was the most tragic character of LOST?

In order of most tragic to least, Locke, Sayid, Jin & Sun, Eko, Boone, Desmond

Edited by Res
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Locke definitely. I realized this is why I don't like the character. He never learns and keeps being used by everyone. He thinks that he "knows" all about the island but he really doesn't.

I'd add Alex to the list. I'm rewatching the show and just got to Dead is Dead. Alex was taken as a baby by Ben and while she got to live she probably had a somewhat hard childhood. Then she finally meets her mother at 16. Only to have her (and her boyfriend) get murdered right in front of her.  Then she is being held hostage by Keamy, Ben says "he didn't care about her". Now this clearly isn't true and Ben is actually trying to save her (in my opinion). It is unclear if Alex knew this or not. But Keamy kills Alex before he even reaches three therefore making Ben's choice to come out of the house irrelevant. 

Edited by blueray
On 8/7/2020 at 12:46 PM, blueray said:

Locke definitely. I realized this is why I don't like the character. He never learns and keeps being used by everyone. He thinks that he "knows" all about the island but he really doesn't.

I'd add Alex to the list. I'm rewatching the show and just got to Dead is Dead. Alex was taken as a baby by Ben and while she got to live she probably had a somewhat hard childhood. Then she finally meets her mother at 16. Only to have her (and her boyfriend) get murdered right in front of her.  Then she is being held hostage by Keamy, Ben says "he didn't care about her". Now this clearly isn't true and Ben is actually trying to save her (in my opinion). It is unclear if Alex knew this or not. But Keamy kills Alex before he even reaches three therefore making Ben's choice to come out of the house irrelevant. 

That's a good point about Alex. I definitely agree.

I also agree about Locke. Season 1 Locke is the best Locke version, although that one did sort of get Boone killed, as in he didn't tell Boone the whole vision with Boone bloodied by the end of it. After Locke lost faith in the button because of the ? station, he was on a downhill journey. I wish that Eko had stayed around for longer because they could have work off of each other well. But by the beginning of Season 3 you could see signs of his ending up on the wrong side. Like you said, he keeps being played by everyone and he's already condemning people for "cheating" the island. He got played repeatedly by Ben and his father which was just sad.

I agree. However thinking about it. If they didn't kill her off in that episode, she'd would have tried to save Alex in the next one (the shape of things to come). Which would have completely changed that episode. Which is one of the best ones, especially the ending. The whole focus is on Ben and Alex's relationship. Danielle being there would have completely changed it and made it about them instead. Plus killing Alex at that point (in front of her) in my opinion is even worse then what did happen.

However they could have had her put up more a fight. She obviously doesn't catch Kemy (or Alex) but kills a few of his goons before dying herself. Would have been better then the one she does get where she is just shot once mid-sentence. 

Maybe, but I still would have liked to have seen more of the dynamic between her, Ben, and Alex, between her and Ben, and her and Alex. Plus I feel like killing her off was a way to get off the screen and off people's minds so the audience would forget about her and hopefully not keep asking to find out more about her and her back story.

• Love 1
On 3/22/2021 at 4:14 AM, Anela said:

I'm re-watching now, and in the first few episodes, I was mostly struck by how kind Hurley was. 

Rewatching too and currently watching Season 5.  Kate is still pretty horrible. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I just discovered that eleven years after ABC’s "LOST" left the air, many fans are still harboring illusions about the Kate Austen character.  I came to this conclusion after watching the "LOST Explained" series on YouTube.  Why do these certain fans continue to harbor illusions about her? Because she was portrayed by Evangeline Lilly, the show’s leading lady? Did Kate being the leading female character was a reason why so many made excuses for her mistakes and crimes? What exactly did Kate do? Well . . . let’s see: 

*Murdered her stepfather Wayne Jensen, when she discovered that he was her real father. Apparently, she could not deal with the reality that she shared blood with him.

*In order to murder Wayne, she blew up his house, which also belonged to her mother, Diane Jensen.

*Kate dragged her mother into a false insurance claim over the destroyed house, so that Diane could profit from it and she could pretend to herself that she had murdered Wayne to protect her mother from his drunken abuse.

*Recruited former boyfriend Tom Brennan to help her gain access to Diane, while the latter was in the hospital and she was a fugitive. This led him to be shot and killed by the police, while Kate was trying to make her escape from the hospital.

*Planned a bank robbery in New Mexico that endangered the lives of innocent employees and customers, so that she could gain access to the suitcase left behind by U.S. Marshal Edward Mars, which contained a toy airplane that Tom had given to her when they were kids.

*Married a cop named Kevin Callis, using a false identity. When she thought she might be pregnant, she panicked, drugged Kevin and went on the run again.

*While on the island, she tried to manipulate and trick both Jack Shephard and James “Sawyer” Ford into giving her Marshal Mars’ suitcase, which she and Sawyer found, while swimming in a lagoon.

*She gave Sun Kwon the idea to poison the latter’s husband, Jin Kwon, so that he would remain on the island and not join Michael Dawson’s attempt to leave. Kate did this, because she wanted a spot on Michael’s raft in order to leave herself.

*Convinced Jack to create a story that she was Aaron Littleton’s mother, so that she could use the infant as an emotional comforter, following the trauma they had faced leaving the island . . .and not bother making any effort to find any of Aaron’s living relatives.

*Met Carole Littleton (Aaron’s grandmother) at the funeral of Christian Shephard, six months after returning to the States and never told the latter than she was a grandmother. Kate kept Aaron away from his grandmother for another two-and-a-half years, before she finally had the decency to finally hand the toddler over to his true guardian.

I noticed during the series’ run that Kate had a habit of resorting to violence (physical or verbal) whenever someone shatters her illusions. She had resorted to anger when both Jack and fellow castaway John Locke tried to tell her that they all needed to return to the island. She had resorted to physical abuse when former member of the Others, Juliet Burke, revealed that Jack had seen her have sex with Sawyer. And she did the same to Sawyer, when he accused her of using him for sex, whenever she had relationship problems with Jack.

Many fans have accused Kate’s parents of being monsters.  Wayne Jensen was a drunk and wife abuser.  Whether he only abused Diane when he was drunk, I don't know.  These same fans also accused Diane Jensen of being a terrible mother by preferring Wayne over her daughter. Diane was merely guilty of having bad taste in men, preferring the alcoholic Wayne over her upstanding Army sergeant ex-husband, Sam Austen. Otherwise, she was a pretty decent mother. Yes, she did expose Kate’s murder of Wayne to the police. But Kate had murdered him . . . her husband. In cold blood. When Kate tried to claim that she was trying to save Diane from Wayne’s abuse in a flashback scene from (3.15) "Left Behind", the latter made it clear that she knew Kate was lying. Kate’s soliloquy in (2.09) "What Kate Did" confirmed that she was not even thinking of her mother when she murdered Wayne. And Sergeant Austen was not that surprised that Kate had murdered Wayne. He had figured she would do it once she learned that Wayne was her real father, she would kill the latter.  Unlike Diane, he was willing to give Kate an hour to get away before calling the police.

Yes, Kate was not perfect. Yes, Kate made mistakes and committed crimes. Yes, many other "LOST" characters were guilty of mistakes and crimes. But why did so many fans make excuses for her lapses in morality? Not only did they make excuses for her murder of Wayne Jensen, they also made excuses for her kidnapping of Aaron Littleton, upon leaving the island for the first time in the Season Four finale, (4.13-4.14) "There's No Place Like Home (Part II)". That is correct. Kate had kidnapped Aaron. And Jack Shephard, along with Sun Kwon, Sayid Jarrah and Hugo "Hurley: Reyes were accessories to her crime. Episodes like (5.04) "The Little Prince"(5.11) "Whatever Happened, Happened" and (6.13) "The Last Recruit" made it clear that Kate had pretended to be Aaron’s blood mother for selfish reasons. Yet, some people are still claiming that she had merely "adopted" Aaron.

As I had earlier stated, it has been eleven years since "LOST" went off the air. And although there are a good number of fans who are willing to openly admit that Kate had made mistakes and committed crimes, I have noticed that other fans – many of them, as a matter of fact – still continue to make excuses for her. Only one other "LOST" character has received such a large amount of excuses for past crimes and mistakes and that is James "Sawyer" Ford. And I do not know whether to find this pathetic, funny or both.

• Love 1

I do think that Wanye was abuse and it shows this that night when he makes a gross pass at Kate. For all we know he sexually abused her. But this is never specifically said in the show. So it's a matter of an opinion.  Obviously doesn't give her the right to kill him but does at least explain why.

I will say the one crime you mentioned that she was guilty of was Tom's death, I disagree. This wasn't her fault. She did come to help her talk to her mother, who I don't think she thought would call the police. Anyhow, when she realized she did, Kate makes a run for it. She multiple times tells Tom to get out of the car. He doesn't listen and is killed by the police. Which honestly is the police's fault for firing randomly at the car. For all they know he was a hostage that they killed. 

Edited by blueray
  • Useful 1

Kate was very much a divisive character back in the day. I never felt that she got “defended” or “got away” with her actions the way other popular people did, like Ben, Sawyer and Locke. If her fans felt the need to defend her, I would argue it’s due to people more frequently criticizing her. 

• Love 1

Currently doing a Lost rewatch, and I'm up to season 5.

Jack Shephard, Ana-Lucia Cortez, Mr. Eko, Miles Straume, Juliet Burke

Charles Widmore, Kate Austen, Stuart Radzinsky, James "Sawyer" Ford, Martin Keamy and Boone Carlyle

Seasons 1, 5, 4, 2, 6, and 3.

"The Other 48 Days", "La Fleur", "There's No Place Like Home", "The Incident", "D.O.C.", "Exodus", "The Candidate", ". . .  In Translation". "The Shape of Things to Come", and "The Hunting Party".

Jin and Sun Kwon

Hugo Reyes and Libby Smith

Michael Dawson and Jin Kwon/Charlie Pace and Hugo Reyes

Kate was very much a divisive character back in the day. I never felt that she got “defended” or “got away” with her actions the way other popular people did, like Ben, Sawyer and Locke. If her fans felt the need to defend her, I would argue it’s due to people more frequently criticizing her. 

To this day, Kate's lie about Aaron and her murder of Wayne Jensen are still being excused.  Sawyer and Locke's crimes have also been excused a lot.  However, I don't recall Ben's crimes ever being excused by fans.  If they were, I have never encountered these excuses.

I do think that Wanye was abuse and it shows this that night when he makes a gross pass at Kate. For all we know he sexually abused her.

Kate had made it clear in "What Kate Did" that Wayne never touched her.  He had never abused her.  I am not referring to her conversation with the U.S. Marshal.  I am referring to her soliloquy when she thought she was alone.  Kate had accused Wayne of being a drunk, being physically abusive to Diane and leering at her.  That's it.  Kate had murdered her father in cold blood because she couldn't stand the idea of him being her father.   The idea of being Wayne Jensen's daughter eroded Kate's self-worth, her sense of superiority over him and destroyed her illusions.  Have you ever noticed that when Kate's illusions are destroyed, she does not react very well.  I believe she was the real monster of the Jensen/Austen family.

Edited by LJones41
  • Love 1

It's been a really long time since I've seen the show, so I'll do my best guesses:

Sawyer, Sayid, Desmond, Jin.  Number 5 is tough.  Maybe Ana Lucia?

Ughhhhhhh JULIET.  Kate and Jack.  Maybe Hurley?  I didn't hate Hurley, but I didn't love him.

1, 2, 4, 3. and the rest.  That's what I assume anyway.

My favourite episode will always be when Jin is captured by The Others and then he runs to Michael and Sawyer on the beach.

I don't know.  Maybe Desmond and Penny.  Typical answer.  Sawyer and me. 

Jack/Juliet/Kate ugh ugh ugh.

Jin/Michael/Sawyer friendship.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

Another late realization: was Anthony Cooper's fake death and subsequent attendance at his own funeral an intentional literary reference (and by extension, a clue to his identity)? I was rewatching the episode where John gets dumped by Helen, and for some reason I don't think I realized prior to this time around that Cooper was at the funeral too. And when I saw that, the name Tom Sawyer popped right into my mind.

I've been having trouble settling into any one show, but with everything being so awful, I just had the urge to start watching this, this morning. I watched it all, when it aired, and have seen episodes here and there since. I started to watch it last year, but didn't stick with it for long.