Type keyword(s) to search

Lost - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've been rewatching on Hulu.  The Variable, where it is revealed that Eloise killed Daniel in 1977 and had known she was going to do this all throughout his life, is just so sad.  You can see it when she is suggesting to him that he return to the island for the last time, and she is close to losing it.  Just a great, shocking episode. 

(edited)

Lost Illusions: The Untold Story of the Hit Show’s Poisonous Culture
The show was a groundbreaking smash, but behind the scenes it devolved into such toxicity that even co-showrunner Damon Lindelof now says of his leadership: “I failed.” A powerful excerpt from the new book Burn It Down.
BY MAUREEN RYAN   MAY 30, 2023
https://www.vanityfair.com./hollywood/2023/05/lost-tv-show-culture 

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4
On 7/21/2023 at 7:03 PM, yanksno1 said:

Just finished S5 last night. Do S6 to complete the re-watch? I know it's gonna make me not happy haha.

I think in such a world as this, it's important to do the things that make us happy. If you start again at S01E01 I don't think anyone would throw you out of the fandom. However, I do also like parts of S6, even if the whole was a bit muddled. So my advice is, go where your heart takes you.

• Like 2
On 7/25/2023 at 4:06 PM, DigitalCount said:

I think in such a world as this, it's important to do the things that make us happy. If you start again at S01E01 I don't think anyone would throw you out of the fandom. However, I do also like parts of S6, even if the whole was a bit muddled. So my advice is, go where your heart takes you.

I started watching S6, and just ignoring (as much as I can haha) the alternate timeline. It'll be a while when I re-watch it most likely, so I'll finish it off proper knowing what's coming heh.

• Like 2

My sister just started rewatching the series again. She made it about the middle of season 5 the last time but didn't finish, not because she didn't want to, she really likes the show ( not as much as myself, though ) but because her job got really stressful and she just didn't get it finished. That was a couple of years ago and now she is retired, so she started again from the 1st episode. I was at her house  last week and  watched a few season one episodes with her. I do love season 1. I told her I invented my own holiday , "Lost Day " which is August 15 because, you know, flight 815. Hey, if Star Wars people can their own May the Fourth be with You day, why can't Lost fans have a day ? Though, I don't think she believed me :)

• Like 3
On 7/21/2023 at 4:03 PM, yanksno1 said:

Just finished S5 last night. Do S6 to complete the re-watch? I know it's gonna make me not happy haha.

Interesting.  Although Season Six is not my favorite, I still liked it more than late Season Two and early Season Three, which I personally dislike.

On 5/31/2023 at 6:42 AM, tv echo said:

Lost Illusions: The Untold Story of the Hit Show’s Poisonous Culture
The show was a groundbreaking smash, but behind the scenes it devolved into such toxicity that even co-showrunner Damon Lindelof now says of his leadership: “I failed.” A powerful excerpt from the new book Burn It Down.
BY MAUREEN RYAN   MAY 30, 2023
https://www.vanityfair.com./hollywood/2023/05/lost-tv-show-culture 

That would explain the toxic writing and reactions that surrounded the Michael Dawson character.

• Like 1

The 100 Greatest TV Shows of All Time
By Daniel D'Addario, Kate Aurthur, Clayton Davis, Selome Hailu, Alison Herman, Emily Longeretta, Jennifer Maas, Joe Otterson, Michael Schneider, Jazz Tangcay, Aramide Tinubu, Adam B. Vary    Dec 20, 2023
https://variety.com/lists/greatest-tv-shows-of-all-time/  

32  Lost
ABC
2004-10

What’s in the hatch? Who are the Others? Where did that polar bear come from? Yes, “Lost” hooked tens of millions with tantalizing mystery box questions like these. And yes, many of the answers showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse ultimately provide don’t quite live up to that fervor. But what made the show was its vibrantly rendered characters, dozens upon dozens of them — Hurley (Jorge Garcia) and Sayid (Naveen Andrews), Juliet (Elizabeth Mitchell) and Sawyer (Josh Holloway), Sun (Yunjin Kim) and Jin (Daniel Dae Kim), Locke (Terry O’Quinn) and Ben (Michael Emerson) — all striving to make sense of their upside-down circumstances within an expansive, rip-roaring, fabulously weird adventure. It was a flawed show, sometimes deeply so, but between its characters and, yes, those damned questions, “Lost” engaged its audience like no other, precipitating the online ecosystem of fevered fan theorizing that dominates how so many of us experience our favorite shows today.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

While going over old "LOST" articles and forums, I had come across a post that asked members how they would have ended the series. After reading several other sites and articles, I had my answer. There were two things I would have changed. I would have included two other original characters in that final scene inside the afterlife church. And I would have removed one line from the transcript for the series finale, (6.17-6.18) "The End".

But I am here to discuss the second change. I wish that showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse had not allowed Kate Austen to promise Claire Littleton that she would help raise the latter’s three-year-old son Aaron after reaching civilization.  I believe Lindelof and Cuse had made a big mistake with this scene.  I realize that Kate was simply trying to assure an agitated Claire that everything would be all right, once the latter was reunited with Aaron. Especially since Claire had been stuck on the island for three years and had not seen her son. Yet, a part of me suspected there was more at play. Because as far as I am concerned, Kate’s promise to help raise Aaron struck me as the wrong one to make. Why? It was not possible for her to meet this promise.

In the Season Four episode (4.04) "Eggtown", Kate's attorney had made a deal with prosecutors to allow her to take a probation deal, instead of face more trials over other crimes like insurance fraud and bank robbery.  The probation would have forced Kate to remain in the United States and California for at least ten years. When she had left Los Angeles on the Ajira Flight 316 in Season Five, Kate had broken the terms of her ten-year probation after two years. 

According to the show’s canon, the period between "316" and "The End" spanned roughly two weeks. Chances are, Kate had left the country under an assumed name. And since Ajira 316 had been missing for two weeks, I suspect a great deal of publicity would have generated from the plane's return to civilization. I would not be surprised if not long after her return to civilization or U.S. territory - the plane was originally destined for Guam Island, Kate ended up in prison for breaking her probation. And once the authorities also learned she had lied about being Aaron's biological mother, there is a chance they would have prosecuted her for the New Mexico bank robbery and other crimes. Worse, Kate's mother - if she was still alive - might consider testifying against Kate over Wayne Jenssen's murder. After all, Kate had never been cleared or convicted for that crime.  Even if Kate had simply decided to follow Claire to Australia, I do not see the chances of her playing a future role in Aaron's life. I have doubts the Australian government would have allowed Kate to re-enter the country. Before Oceanic 815 had departed Sydney, Australia; Kate had entered the country under a false name and as a fugitive from the law. Which means she had entered Australia illegally. I just cannot see the Australian immigration authorities allowing her to set foot on the country's soil again.

Also, why would Claire need Kate’s help in raising Aaron? Kate had left the three year-old in custody of his biological grandmother, Carole Littleton, less than a day before leaving the United States. Ms. Littleton had custody of Aaron by the end of the series. And to be honest, I believe she would be the best person to serve as Aaron’s guardian, considering the tenuous nature of Claire’s mental state in the series finale. I certainly cannot see Ms. Littleton allowing Kate, a criminal who had deliberately kept her grandson away from her for nearly three years, anywhere near Aaron, while he remained a minor. In fact, I do not even see Claire allowing Kate to be anywhere near Aaron. Hell, I would never allow a child abductor with a series of crimes hovering around her, near my offspring again . . . even if that person had helped me get off the island.

All I can say is . . . what were Cuse and Lindelof thinking when they had allowed Kate to make that promise to Claire in "The End"? 

Edited by LJones41
  • Like 3