Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: Going the Distance for Love

While Jill and Jim Bob are in Nepal, visiting with Derick Dillard, who has something important to ask Jim Bob, Michelle decides to spend time with Jessa and talk to her daughter about her courtship with Ben.

(edited)

Here's my prediction: 

We shall open the episode with Jill packing and one or more of the sisters giving wardrobe advice.

Johanna, Jenny, Jordan will have a stool confessional and say "dill is going to Mepal" (sic)

Then we'll cut to the love cave, where Jim Bob packs his tightly whities and hair product, while opining to Michelle about how this could be the week when he meets little Jill's future husband.

INSERT MONTAGE OF JILL WITH A MICHELLE VOICEOVER.

On the plane, Jill will be questioned by Dad. 

She will sprint out the airport doors and into a side hug with Derek.  He WILL have flowers.

They will do some awkward sight seeing and Jim Bob will tell them they don't get to do shut yet.

On the way to the return flight, he will ask her to court formally.

Credits roll.

Edited by wanderwoman
  • Love 4
(edited)

Is it just me, or did it seem Dill was seriously chasing this Jerick?  Like, halfway around the world???  Seemed a bit "forward" to me to go running after him (to prompt a courtship, obviously) rather than wait for him to come to her.  Pushy much, Dill?  But apparently it worked!  At any rate, it gives Michelle a chance to "spend time with Jessa (her daughter)."

Edited by all4mom

I just want to know who funded this trip to Asia, TLC? 

Maybe the production crew wanted to go to Nepal. I certainly would have tried to justify that trip with my bosses. "You see, it's a different location, and it will draw in lots and lots of new viewers," etc., etc.

• Love 1
(edited)

They were there for 2 weeks. What's odd is that Boob allows a side hug when they greet, but they're supposedly not courting yet. Also, the preview when Derick's hand goes up to touch Jill's back and Boob pulls her away...that's a pretty normal gesture for a guy with his girlfriend. Even though Boob pulled her away (only sidehugs, none of that walking arm in arm stuff!). I think they were courting before the cameras began rolling, although the Show description says that Derick asks Boob for her hand in Nepal, and next week is when he pops the question to Jill (obviously set up in a place far nicer than a messy home office).

And here's Boob playing Ugly American in Nepal. Thanks, TLC!

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/videos/lets-try-some-authentic-food.htm?mkcpgn=fbtlc1&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=19Kids&Counting

Edited by Sew Sumi

Jill took some items to Nepal for Derek from his parents (they brought them to the house at Josiah's graduation).  I also wonder if Jill brought some items for one of the clinics there. 

I think Derek has (gasp) DATED in the past.  He is used to touching his girlfriend with a hand on her back and so forth. Nothing wrong with that, but it is obvious that physical contact seems natural for him

Boob is, well, a boob. Does he think every country speaks Spanish? Because he walked into that shop and said "Hola!".

He's such an ass.

I really like Derrick. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders. Run, Jill, run! (away from your moron parents, that is).

• Love 4

Well, oh well....can't understand the change in Jim Boob in SOME courtesy he showed towards Derrick and Jill.. He actually walked a little behind them "to give them some space". He said that Jill had to check Derrick out. What I don't understand is, why the total change from the way he and Michelle were treating Jessa and Ben? Someone suggested on a post that when this was filmed, Jill and Derrick were already courting, so it was "ok" for some physical touch. I agree that they seemed more physical and Daddy didn't have too much of a problem with that, other than removing Derrick's hand from Jill's back as they walked... This whole shift in behavior doesn't make sense to me. Jill, IMO, is still acting like a kid with her first crush and does sound still so young and inexperienced when she speaks.

Can't get over Michelle... still talking about infants and nursing... she is so NOT over the fact that she doesn't have a baby around and she is NOT enjoying this season of life as she insists...what a liar. She is coming across like a fish out of water, uncomfortable body language, doesn't know how to interact with her little kids or Jessa.

Nothing like a "forced mom-daughter talk" to break the ice between them. Why are they STILL using paper plates, plastic utensils to eat and beat eggs in? Gets my goat every time. Please, someone show Josie how to eat properly... Michelle doesn't know what a "meltdown" is.. Josie didn't have one of those IMO.

Poor Ben... why is he infatuated with a cold fish like Jessa. Ben needs a warm, touchy, feely romantic minded girlfriend, so not her. That poor boy is in for a life of heartache at the unfeeling mercy of his wife.... Having mentioned Benessa, why did JimBob say at first that Jill is the first daughter to court? He then corrected himself,, and remembered that Jessa was "with" Ben... I still think something doesn't add up with Benessa.

Well, I'll stop now, and look forward to all your great comments....

I still think something doesn't add up with Benessa.

I think you're on to something.  Why does Jessa only see him every other week?  Why has she been courting for 4 months?  That is way too long in Gothardland.

I have. No. Words.  

Ben and Jessa...and then there was....oh god...Michelle, make her stop.

Ok. I have words.  What in seven shells was that hot mess of a mother-daughter "talk"?  For real.  Michelle is trying to sell that dewey-eyed, "men need to be recognized" shtick that she's been cooing to Jim Bob with since Josh was a toddler?  Does she truly not realize that not every man wants adoring gazes and eye batting, simpering platitudes?  Jesse has never struck me as the simmering type, but the message to Jessa is be something your not?   Look.  I don't really like Jessa and her cold demeanor, but if that's her personality, then find a guy who is a little less immature and needy.  Find her a true companion instead of a guy who needs another mommy.  Better, yet... let the girl go out and find a guy who she gets taken head over hills with.  These people think they're keeping their daughters' hearts safe, but they are also denying them a chance to get to know themselves as individuals.  These kids are going from over-protected to married.

• Love 4

It is so obvious that Jill and Derrick totally have the hots for each other. They're all giggly and googley eyed. They're very cute. This is the first time I've seen Jessa get smiley with Ben. I agree, she needs someone older.  Jessa, if you need to be coached on how to react to your man...he is not the man for you.

• Love 4

Word.  (Points up)

"The world doesn't revolve around Josie."- Michelle

Roflol.  You're shutting me right?  Jordan and Jenny should've called Michelle's b.s..  the special snowflake got dethroned.

• Love 2

I remember an episode TH where Jordyn was trying to say something but Josie put her hand over Jordyn's mouth and basically told her to STFU. I think that the Duggar home does revolve around Josie and that poor Jordyn will always play second fiddle to her. I also noticed that Jenny's hair wasn't combed at least in the back.

• Love 2
(edited)

What a crock, Mullet saying the world doesn't revolve around Josie. Yes it does.

I think Mullet must have hired a parenting consultant because she is suddenly attempting to be motherly. In the past we've seen her cooking eggs for just herself, calling a sistermom to feed the kids, and being locked in her bedroom when the kids were fighting. Also she would have had a special family friend/house elf around instead of being left alone with (gasp) soooo many needy little ones.

What's the reason for this new version of Michelle?

Also maybe I am being pessimistic, and I really do like Derick, but I wonder if he was homesick and that fueled the whirlwind romance with Jill, and his friendship with Boob

Edited by NJRach

I thought Jim Bob was acting like a real dad in this episode and it surprised me.  He seems genuinely concerned about Jill not being hurt and that she has to be sure about Derrick.  Jim Bob seemed to do a much better job at being a parent without Michelle there. 

I even thought Michelle wasn't far off with Jessa about Ben.  Yes, she can be "cut and dried", I am too.  I married a man who is the opposite and when we were engaged my mother pretty much told me to remember that I should not always be so curt with my fiance and enjoy the romance - I did learn to bend (just a bit!) and we have managed to make it work and be happy for a couple of decades. 

I wonder if something is up with Jana because she seems so much more animated and happy - I hope she has found something to bring her joy.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hola, everyone!  Well, Boob had no control over that initial INTENSE first (side) hug...  Jerick grabbed hold of Dill and wasn't about to let go...  Dill was being a bit coy there, with her cool "nice to meet you, too" and was probably dreading Boob's reaction to so much PDA.  It looked as if Jerick could have hung onto Dill all day long!!!  Never been the biggest Dill fan, but she is glowing with happiness (why all the fakety-fake "well, I just don't know if he's the one or not"?  Oh, yeah; this is TLC...), and he's clearly over the moon for her.  So I guess miracles happen -- even in Duggarland!  What in the world with J-chelle and Jose and her turn?  J-chelle asked Josie, "Let me ask you something: whose turn is it?"  Well, clearly Josie thought it was HERS, and there was poor little ignored Jordyn, pointing her finger right at Josie!  When that didn't work, she went so far as to whisper in J-chell's ear, "It's Josie's turn!" and still J-chelle ignored them both...  D'oh!  It will certainly be entertaining to watch J-chelle deal with the little ones once the sister moms are all married off.  I feel for her; it's clear this "new season" sends her for a loop!

Edited by maraleia
name spelling corrections
  • Love 1

I think this episode might be one of my favorites. Jill and Derick are adorable and its sweet to see them so smitten with each other. They both seem genuinely nice, with just a dash of dork thrown in. They seem extremely well suited for each other.

Jim Bob and Michelle both came across as normal parents this episode! Jim Bob is so much more likeable when he's not playing up to the cameras. I was happy to see how much space and relative freedom he allowed Jill and Derick, and he genuinely seemed to want this to work out for both of them. 

Michelle even seemed normal while out with Jessa. I didn't take their conversation as saying Jessa should change, but that if she really cares for Ben, she needs to consider his feelings too. 

The talking heads with the kids were pretty good tonight too. Jessa mimicking Jill was spot on, the little kids were actually cute (Jordyn: "Kathman...pal"), and the older "kids" were entertaining too (Jana: "even for a Duggar, this is strange")

I wonder if something is up with Jana because she seems so much more animated and happy - I hope she has found something to bring her joy.

I'm kind of wondering if Jana had a courtship that didn't lead anywhere. From her THs about Jil being in love or being careful, it really sounded like she was speaking from experience. Honestly, I don't think Jessa would still be with Ben if his family hadn't blabbed all about it on Facebook. I think she feels stuck with him now and that's why there hasn't been an engagement yet. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Hola, everyone!  Well, Boob had no control over that initial INTENSE first (side) hug...  Jerick grabbed hold of Dill and wasn't about to let go...  Dill was being a bit coy there, with her cool "nice to meet you, too" and was probably dreading Boob's reaction to so much PDA.  It looked as if Jerick could have hung onto Dill all day long!!!  Never been the biggest Dill fan, but she is glowing with happiness (why all the fakety-fake "well, I just don't know if he's the one or not"?  Oh, yeah; this is TLC...), and he's clearly over the moon for her.  So I guess miracles happen -- even in Duggarland!  What in the world with J-chelle and Jose and her turn?  J-chelle asked Jose, "Let me ask you something: whose turn is it?"  Well, clearly Jose thought it was HERS, and there was poor little ignored Jordan, pointing her finger right at Jose!  When that didn't work, she went so far as to whisper in J-chell's ear, "It's Josie's turn!" and still J-chelle ignored them both...  

I noticed that, too.

Not only was one lost girl whispering to her, but you can clearly hear another kid yelling that he/she is after the current ball owner, but before Josie.  

I think Michelle was disciplining for the camera. She's probably scared since the fab four will be leaving and she won't have a pregnancy to blame for her laziness and selfishness.  Anyone else remember her two hour treadmill, stretching, rest festival, while the older girls fed and educated the littles?  The fact the Jessa asked how Michelle was doing without an infant was bizarre.  Does parenting end at breastfeeding?  

Edited by maraleia
changed u to you
  • Love 2

OK, aside from Jim-Boob and Jessa and J'Chelle's fellowship, this was a pretty good episode.   I really like Derrick (chipmunk teeth and all).  He seems more "real" than pre-pubesecnt dud Ben.  Did you notice there wasn't endless discussion about Chriistianity and where Derrick's heart is?  I also like Jill much better now that's she's fallen in love.  She's much less bitchy.  Comparing Benessa and Dill, Benessa just seems sooo wrong.

I'd just love to know Jim-Boob's logic on how he decided why Derrick would be right for Jill, but not Jana, Jinger or Jessa (not knowing the timing as to when Ben  came into the picture).

• Love 1

It is so obvious that Jill and Derrick totally have the hots for each other. They're all giggly and googley eyed. They're very cute. This is the first time I've seen Jessa get smiley with Ben. I agree, she needs someone older.  Jessa, if you need to be coached on how to react to your man...he is not the man for you.

After seeing Dill and Jerick and action, it is even more obvious that Benessa is some contrived BS. They had spent no time together, yet their interaction was just natural and really sweet to watch - the COMPLETE opposite of Benessa. When Jill speaks of Derick I go "aww!" When Jessa was speaking about Bin/Ben wanting to buy her all the flowers in the world I was thinking, "Now you know that conversation NEVER happened." She sounds like that girl in school that would make up a pretend boyfriend because all of her friends were dating. 

I'm kind of wondering if Jana had a courtship that didn't lead anywhere. From her THs about Jil being in love or being careful, it really sounded like she was speaking from experience. Honestly, I don't think Jessa would still be with Ben if his family hadn't blabbed all about it on Facebook. I think she feels stuck with him now and that's why there hasn't been an engagement yet. 

I think she was talking about the clusterfugg she's currently found her self in. I'm convinced that someone has buyer's remorse. 

This episode wasn't as bad as usual. I like Derrick, and think that he and Jill will be good together. Not like Jessa and Ben. He's way too young and she doesn't seem to care as much as he does.

I'm glad Jim Boob gave Jill and Derrick a little space. However, removing Derrick's arm from her back was strange. And he said "I'm right here if she need me." What did he think was going to happen? Oh my word, maybe a FRONTAL HUG!

Michelle, we know you don't parent your kids. I don't believe you cook eggs every day. And 15 dozen a week? That's 180 eggs, or 9 per person every week! I don't know anybody who eats that many eggs!

As far as Josie goes, she does need to learn to wait her turn, but that was a really odd way of telling her. "The world doesn't revolve around Josie". What kid that age would even understand that?!?!?! "Tell brother 'thank you'". What's the kid's name, Michelle? Hint: It starts with a 'J'.

Everything involving Michelle is so fake and scripted.

Between treating her for four years as if the world revolves around her, then telling her the world doesn't revolve around her, and telling her it wasn't her turn when it WAS her turn (at least according to both Josie and Jordyn), that is gonna be one confused kid!

• Love 1

Last year the girls were all talking about what kind of guy would fit with their sisters. Jinger mentioned she wanted to live in a city, and the other girls agreed that one of them..(Not sure which one) would be a good fit with an older man. It always struck me as strange, does anyone recall who that was? I hope it isn't Jessa, Ben is only 18-19!

As far as Blob and Michelle acting like more normal parents, I fail to see it. My parents had NFI who I was dating or what I was doing when I was in my 20's. Why would they, I had my own place, life and job.

That is normal.

• Love 4

She would have done "Fine" with Derrick alone on the street, too, I'm just saying it is her purity rather than her physical safety they care most about.  And it is gross.  I think an adult female could have gone to Nepal without her papa altogether to meet this guy. 

• Love 3

Boob's "protectiveness" is all for the cameras, and he does it with a wink and a nod; he's a big joker, that one (and, I think, a genuinely caring parent).  Jerrick definitely needs to keep the facial hair.  Yikes!  Dill could tell us that, but not him; is that part of "staying sweet"?  And the fakety-fake, "Ooooh, I just don't know!  I'm evaluating and praying!" got old, as no one was buying that.  I want to like Dill, but she's always seemed too ready to be disingenuous in order to ingratiate herself; to go along in order to get along.  Of course, that may have saved her bacon, too; she wouldn't be getting away with all of this otherwise.  That said, the "yeah, so" is as annoying as "aaand."

• Love 1