Type keyword(s) to search

Kevin (Probably) Saves The World - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/3/2018 at 3:56 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I thought Kristin taught English, but now she teaches history?  Kristin is the drama advisor

My impression was that she was the History teacher and the Drama Club advisor (I don't think they have a Drama class.)

On 1/3/2018 at 3:05 PM, sjohnson said:

I tend to think it was always an error to pick Kevin, it was supposed to be Amy I think.

I think it was meant to be Reese.  It came down when Amy was away -- both Kevin and Reese went to the site and Kevin was just the first to touch it.

On 1/3/2018 at 4:46 PM, KaveDweller said:

Urban forager is a real thing?

More adults (generally 20 to 30-somethings) than teens, but, yep, it's a thing.

• Love 2

It was Amy's house, and it was the army who dragged her away so she didn't touch it first. The meteors are Yvette's plan, not God's, so I'm not sure it can take into account a helicopter showing up in the middle of the night.

And it's Amy who's been amazingly righteous for taking care of Kevin, which is why I tend to favor Amy over Reese in a "Yvette got it wrong" scenario. Reese is a pretty decent kid, but how much testing for righteousness has she had? But I admit though I personally split the odds 55/45 for Amy, splitting it 55/45 for Reese is defensible.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sjohnson said:

It was Amy's house, and it was the army who dragged her away so she didn't touch it first. The meteors are Yvette's plan, not God's, so I'm not sure it can take into account a helicopter showing up in the middle of the night.

And it's Amy who's been amazingly righteous for taking care of Kevin, which is why I tend to favor Amy over Reese in a "Yvette got it wrong" scenario. Reese is a pretty decent kid, but how much testing for righteousness has she had? But I admit though I personally split the odds 55/45 for Amy, splitting it 55/45 for Reese is defensible.

I don't necessarily disagree with the notion that it could have been Amy and the army got in the way.  But I don't know that "testing" has much to do with it.  I mean, in the last episode, it was a infant.

• Love 2

Unless you believe in original sin, pretty sure the baby's righteous..so far. Your point of course is entirely correct. It's the show that seems to think it's meaningful to talk about the righteousness of the baby. Being "annointed" by Kevin gives it a proactive guardian angel, so I'm pretty sure its going to be a special kid. 

16 hours ago, morakot said:

I didn't get that the righteous would all be babies. Yvette seemed to assume most of them would be older than a new born.

Yvette could be wrong though. All the righteous being newborns would explain why no one can find them now.

13 hours ago, sjohnson said:

Reese is a pretty decent kid, but how much testing for righteousness has she had?

Look how she handled the urban forager.  She wasn't justy nice, she found a way for her friends toi include the new girl as well.  That's pretty "righteous" and goes beyond family. 

• Love 3

Reese is also the only person so far who's seen through the "Kevin is wacky" veneer. She actually saw him not only do nice things but experience miraculous-seeming events.

I don't have an opinion about what the show has planned, but I think Reese is a reasonable possibility for "the righteous". Diner Guy (I can't believe I forgot his name; the one currently in love with Yvette) not being one seems like the show has decided to make a statement that whatever the qualifications are, they're not obvious, though. Unless the point is that everyone is not seeing the obvious. I like Nate a lot, he seems like a totally good person, as well. So it's not just about being decent. Kevin until recently was apparently not a very good dude. Does being in his position come FROM being in contact with the meteor itself, or... how does any of this work? We have no idea. Not sure if the show does, either. I'm enjoying it enough to just go along for now, but at some point I do wish they would fill it in more.

• Love 1

When Kevin encounters a mysterious do-gooder and attempts to help her raise money for a dog sanctuary, his plan backfires bringing her secret past to light. Meanwhile, Tyler believes he has finally made contact with Yvette, the mysterious lady from Laos. Nate invites Amy to a friend's wedding only to discover his ex-wife will also be attending.

Promo:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Kevin: We gotta go! We gotta go! We gotta go! I know where the next righteous person is!
Yvette: How's that even poss -
Kevin: The universe! The vision! Let's go! Now! Let's go. Let's go. Go, go now. Let's go, go, go, go, go, go, go! Seriously, it was the strangest, coolest vision yet. I was at some old temple in Peru. And there was this golden idol on top of this old pedestal. But get this the pedestal was booby-trapped. So I had to do something. And I had a bag of sand. And then the princess and I kissed right before the guards yanked me away. Then she calls out, and she tells me that she loves me. And I just simply tell her, "I know." I know. So we are struggling. And I find the ripcord for his parachute, and I pull it! And then whoosh! He goes flying out. And he's hanging there in midair. And I grab him by his shirt, and I just growl, "Get off my plane!" Okay. I have a confession to make.
Yvette: There was no vision.
Kevin: Yeah. Wait. When did you figure that out?
Yvette: When the one-armed man framed you for the murder of your wife.

Kristin: Did you bring in your own coffee mug?
Kevin: This thing? From a New York City bookstore in New York City, where I used to live?
Kristin: Oh, gawd. You're trying to be the cool teacher, aren't you? 
Kevin: No, look, I'm just being me. You know, if that's considered cool, who am I to argue?

Nate: I just wanted to clarify This isn't actually our first date, is it?
Amy: No! No, no, no. Definitely not. 
Nate: Okay, good. 
Amy: This is just-
Nate: Just a friendly meal.
Amy: Yes, exactly.
Nate: Right. Because if it were our first date, I mean-
Amy: We would be doing something special. 
Nate: And not just breakfast. 
Amy: Yeah. So, do you, um, do you have any ideas?
Nate: Believe it or not, I do.
Amy: Okay.
Nate: Midnight stroll to a picnic under the sky. I know the perfect place for stargazing this time of year.
Amy: Huh. Um, counter-proposal?
Nate: Go ahead. 
Amy: We're already friends, right? 
Nate: Of course.
Amy: So, okay, so we're not necessarily tied to the whole "dinner, drinks, get to know you" kind of date. We could maybe, I don't know, try something more adventurous?
Nate: More adventurous than Cassiopeia, Queen of the Night Sky? I mean, I could bring my telescope, I guess.

Reese: Did you actually need something, or was this just to torture me?
Kevin: Yes. I need some info on Adam Hargrove. And the torture was just a bonus.
Reese: Why are you asking about Adam?
Kevin: Because I'm a teacher and I say so.
Reese: That's not how teaching works!

Nate: I was really looking forward to going out on whatever type of activity we could mutually agree on at whatever location we found amenable to the both of us.

Amy: Flowers are for dates. And I just I don't want the first flowers that you ever give me to be apology flowers.

Amy: Freshman pranks are stupid.
Kevin: Well, that's a vast generalization.
Amy: All of them. They are all stupid. Especially whenever you're involved.
Kevin: Okay, look. I am sorry that I didn't include you in the epic, legendary, all-time greatest Freshman Prank of 1995. But you would've told Mom, so-
Amy: Well, we'll never know, will we? 
Kevin: We will never know. That's the price of being a snitch.
Amy: Well, if you wanted it to actually be legendary, then you should've involved me.
Amy: Oh, I did want it to be legendary, which is why I didn't include you and then why it became legendary.

Adam: This is insane.
Kevin: You know who else they called insane? Einstein, Mozart, Van Gogh.
Adam: Van Gogh cut off his own ear.
Kevin: But he wasn't afraid of change.

High school friend: You want to pull a prank? At the high school?
Kevin: Well, not just a prank. The second-best prank ever. Why not the best? Because of ours. Ours was the best in '95. And you know why we were so successful? We weren't the smartest. And we weren't the bravest. Remember? But we were a team, okay? That prank was the purest example of of camaraderie, of of knowing each other on the deepest, most intimate level. We were like a machine, working together, one goal, laser-focused.

Adam: I'm feeling kinda weird about this.
Kevin: Why?
Adam: I'm planning a prank with a mom, a police officer, and my teacher.
Tyler: And a waiter.

Amy: Do you think Tyler's stuck?
Adam: You know, maybe we should call this off.
Kevin: No! No. Tyler has never let me down, ever. Except maybe once or twice, but not this time

Kevin: Look at you two, so cozy. She show you her, uh, weird toe yet? 
Amy: Kevin! 
Nate: She did not.
Kevin: Oh, it's super gross. You gotta see it. It's like a tiny, wrinkly old man growing off her foot. I named him Stan. You should bust him out, Amy.

Kevin: I have to work on my lesson plan for tomorrow. I'm subbing in chemistry. You can learn all of chemistry in, like, an hour, right?

Kevin: You know, if we actually finish this mission-
Yvette: When. When we finish this mission. 
Kevin: When we finish, it's not like I'm gonna forget about you. I mean, you've changed my life. I mean, sure, people think I'm crazy. And I get punched a lot more. And I'm naked in front of strangers a lot more. But, uh, I'm alive. And I'm happy. And a lot of that is because of you.
Yvette: You've become very dear to me.
Kevin: We should get matching tattoos. Like, I'll get half a heart on my hand, and you get a half a heart on your hand, and we put it together, and it's, like, BFF's forever! Bam! 
Yvette: You just ruined things.

• Love 2

Kevin passing off all those Harrison Ford movies as his latest vision was hilarious.

Loved the awkward Amy/Nate breakfast greeting that ended in a side hug.

Amy gets an A+ for her amazing prank design!

Loved when Kevin got teary as he told Yvette how much she meant to him and changed his life.

• Love 6

Real students would sniff out that Kevin was odd very quickly. Some would target him and the rest would sit, watching or doing their own thing. But this version is more palatable than realism.

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 2

I do enjoy Jason Ritter's physical comedy -- which is a surprise to me as it is something that usually leaves me cold. His charm made me laugh heartily when he was slipping and falling in the jelly. 

• Love 5

Kevin's vanity about being the cool teacher and his resentment of the Pelk (sp?) was notably not righteous. Happily Adam's insistence on stopping the prank at least led it to being inflicted on someone who deserved it. 

Did Amy really not notice he went on a date with that security guard?

• Love 2

I felt bad for the security guard who Nate faux dated. It was pretty cold to just ditch her like that.

I also liked that the kid didn't want to be mean. I thought the prank was fun to watch, but in real life it's the kind of thing I have never found funny.

I love the show, too.

I think it's an interesting bit of info that Yvette can't go back to her home planet even if the mission succeeds.

• Love 3

After Kevin talked Yvette into making herself visible at the restaurant I fully expected Tyler to walk in and see them together. 

Kevin's vanity about being the cool teacher and his resentment of the Pelk (sp?) was notably not righteous. 

What does it even mean to be "righteous" though? By any standard dictionary definition - virtuous, moral -  Kevin has never really fit that description until maybe just lately. 

• Love 3

It's Tyler from Taylor, Texas.

This made me laugh. My half-sister is from Alabama and I always thought her grand-daughter was Tyler. It turns out her name is Taylor.  It takes a southern accent to make them sound the same. :-)

• Love 3
18 hours ago, morakot said:

I do enjoy Jason Ritter's physical comedy -- which is a surprise to me as it is something that usually leaves me cold. His charm made me laugh heartily when he was slipping and falling in the jelly. 

This.  He excels at it and it totally reminds me of his father.  SO much of Jason reminds me of John Ritter it is actually pretty freaky.

I enjoy the idea of the show, but it is just so all-over-the place.  I'd love it if they totally dropped the "righteous" stuff and just focused on these people living in a quirky town, sort of like Northern Exposure or Men in Trees for people who have been watching TV for a long time, such as myself.

• Love 3

I find Jason utterly lovable and find it strange when he's so oddly petty - as against the Palk. But I do look forward to and enjoy this show, so I'll just nitpick.

I never loved John Ritter, but Jason's physical comedy is great. I also love how uninhibited he is about showing his dad body. (Curious as to whether he's a dad, I googled and found out he just got engaged to actress Melanie Lynskey, whom I do not know - lucky woman.)

I love that Adam wanted to call off the prank because ordinarily he would be the butt of the joke, so I was a little sad when he reveled in his newfound popularity.

And his newfound popularity? Never would have happened.

Kevin was acting so weird with Adam in the library, I asked my 12yo "Isn't that a teacher you would stay away from?" She agreed.

Nate abandoning the security guard was pretty heartless. And wasn't he about to kiss her??

Who has the time and/or resources to concoct and pull off such an elaborate prank? These people have the best jobs.

Yvette is a handful. First she comes down from the universe and totally upends his life, browbeats him every minute and then pouts because he can't spend time with her? I like her more human aspects of late, but she really is exhausting.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, sjohnson said:

Did Amy really not notice he went on a date with that security guard?

Who? Nate?  He didn’t really, though. He was there to distract her, knowing she had a crush on him. Then, when she went to his car she found all the date stuff from Amy and assumed it was for her. At that point, they were still in the middle of setting up for the prank so he had to keep playing along. I think it was cruel, though. That poor security guard thought she just had a great first date with a guy she’s been crushing on forever. But, to Nate it wasn’t a date. 

• Love 2
On 1/10/2018 at 0:56 PM, morakot said:

He does not usually remind me of his father, but with the pratfalls, he 100% does. It's very flashbacky.

• Love 3

By the way, at least one of those falls we saw Jason Ritter fall all the way down, face to camera. No landing on a mat. Added a lot visually I think. Not many actors and directors do that, as far as I have noticed. 

• Love 3

Yes, I noticed the fall, too. It worried me. Don't want him to injure himself!

I enjoyed the episode and have been enjoying them much more since Yvette started toning down her most annoying self. She did flare up again here, pouting about Kevin not spending time with her, but she's adjusting, I know. -- I was curious about the comment that she couldn't go back home once the mission was over. Do we know why not? Will she be too humanized by then? It really was a risk for her to leave, then. I thought at first, well, she won't be alone, considering Tyler and Kevin, but she's immortal, yes? They won't be around for long, from her perspective. If it's the same for the other guides, she'll at least have them.

I'm just amazed at the level of Jason Ritter's charm. It just oozes. --If he and Melanie Lynskey are engaged, that's fantastic! Really like her too and wish them all the best. (Not that they'd see this. Sending good vibes anyway.)

• Love 1
21 hours ago, justmehere said:

he and Melanie Lynskey are engaged, that's fantastic! Really like her too and wish them all the best. 

She's going to be in the new Hulu series called "Castle Rock" (and if you know your horror stories, you know what it's about), so she's going to need it!

6 hours ago, Anela said:

This is #1, #2, and #5:

* Thank advertisers. Companies need to know they can make money by supporting this show. Instead of fast forwarding, take note of the advertisers airing commercials during the show and thank them for supporting ‘Kevin Probably.’

Tweet to the sponsors with a butterfly.  The money is more important than the number of fans.

Yvette: Why are you pulling over?
Kevin: Didn't you see that guy back there? He needs a lift.
Yvette: Are you out of your mind? No one stops for hitchhikers anymore.
Kevin: I know. That's why I'm doing it.

Tyler: Quick question. Are you a fan of Teutonic thrash metal?
Kevin: I don't think so? Why?
Tyler: I'm trying to get into it. My lady's a big fan of German scream-singing.

Tyler: She lives in Victoria, British Columbia. Even her name sounds Canadian. Leslie. Leslie Nielsen.

Tyler: Dude, I love secrets. Who likes explanations?

Reese: Are you one of those people who craves attention no matter what?
Kevin: Are you one of those people who likes the smell of dirty socks?

Reese: When I was little, I kind of thought it was an actually fairy, not a real person. 
Kevin: Kids are dumb.

Kevin: How nice is Phoebe? And her dream is to help animals? I mean, I'm a righteous person, and all my dreams involve mixing foods that don't normally go together.

Yvette: I might've done something rash.
Kevin: What?
Yvette: I'm pretty certain I found the person writing Tyler posing as me.
Kevin: You did? Are you sure?
Yvette: Positive. I had to smite him.
Kevin: You smited somebody?
Yvette: Smote. Past tense of smite is smote. 
Kevin: Um, what does smo... smi... what does that entail?
Yvette: Smiting isn't really an exact science. It could take different forms. It depends on the person. It's always uncomfortable and can lead to death.

Yvette: How was you playing "You've Got Mail" helping Tyler, exactly? 
Kevin: How do you -
Yvette: I know who Tom Hanks is. And Meg Ryan. And I know who Leslie Nielsen is.
Kevin: Since when?

Kevin: Look, I have a plan, okay? I'm telling Tyler all these bad things about you.
Yvette: What bad things about me?
Kevin: Well, like that you collect your fingernails and stuff.
Yvette: What? I I don't do that.
Kevin: Not you. I'm talking about Leslie. She has horrible taste in music and food. She believes body odor should be savored. She huffs canned air. Slowly, Tyler will see all of her faults and then he'll eventually want to break up with her and everybody wins.

Kevin: What's with the sunglasses?
Tyler: Oh, I've been crying all this morning. But on the plus side, my cheeks are rosy. Got to stay hydrated so I can do more crying later.

Judge: Is this a dramatic outburst? I've never had a dramatic outburst.

Tyler: That was beautiful. I never in my life thought I'd be held in contempt for a courtroom protest. You were a total badass in there, man. Like a young Bob Shapiro.

Bailiff: Show of hands who here now knows that disrupting proceedings in a court of law is wrong?

Nate: Sorry I'm early. I thought it would, uh, give us a chance to talk.
Amy: Okay. About what?
Nate: Anything. I mean, we can talk about whether you'd ever want to have another kid. We can talk about how weird I've been about Simone's pregnancy and how that weirdness made you feel awkward.
Amy: I didn't feel that awkward.
Nate: I mean, we can even talk about which member of 1D has the most promising solo career.
Amy: Zayn, obviously.
Nate: Amy, I just want this to work. And I know that means having to communicate.
Amy: Okay. Well, I still have to blow-dry my hair and get dressed.
Nate: Not a problem.
Amy: So, uh, what do you want to talk about?
ate: You know, I really want to get to the bottom of this 1D question. I mean, you said Zayn, and I get that, but you said it so quickly, like Harry Styles doesn't exist.
Amy: I mean, does he?

• Love 3

Heh, Kevin scaring off the hitchhiker by arguing with invisible Yvette was silly but it made me laugh.

My favorite moment this week was Nate and Amy discussing which One Direction member would have the best solo career.

Noooooo, I want Tyler back in Texas, not on a fishing boat! Before his video proposal, I thought he was just going to take off for Canada to find Leslie. I can imagine his plan consisting of hanging out in front of the PO box until she showed up.

I think that the breakdown of Nate's marriage was not one-sided, so I'm glad that his ex pointed out he's still repeating his "we don't have to talk about it now" habit and that it resulted in Nate making a concerted effort to communicate with Amy. In his ex's defense, sometimes people change their minds about having kids. I hope he and Amy talk about that at some point. I can't imagine Amy wanting to have another baby now that she already has one in high school. Then again, maybe she'll have one to avoid empty nest syndrome.

• Love 3

Doubling down on "How is Kevin one of the Righeous?" 

Kevin seems to have been a salesman for a corrupt investment fund, not an investment banker. Unless he's been both, at different times?

Don't know why Tyler would have to go to a Canadian fishing boat to be anointed as a Righteous.

As I've gotten older I'm pretty sure there's no redemption to be purchased with good works. 

• Love 1

I'm not sure I'm really feeling it with Nate and Amy. TBH I don't find the actor who plays Nate all that compelling or appealing. He's OK but the rest of the cast is much, much stronger. 

I enjoyed the way Yvette smote Kevin.

• Love 1

Tyler not asking for a photo of his beloved, and no one suggesting it, was kind of a big omission. It would have been one sure way to convince him to drop it, when the correspondent couldn't produce one.

Can a judge just sentence someone to community service without even having a trial first? Embezzlement of $100,000 is not a misdemeanor. Wouldn't there be more of a process than that? Wouldn't the people she stole from have a right to testify and maybe demand restitution?

I like the show, but somehow when they rely on magic it's easier for me to swallow than when they pretend they are following mundane rules but ignore common sense and basic stuff.

I thought the house they were going to meet up with the hitchhiker again, at that house they painted. I guess he was one and done, but I really thought they were going to show us that Kevin acting weird was interfering with the encounter but it would keep coming back around until he got it right.

Amy and Nate talking about 1D was funny, but showing up HOURS early for a date "so they could talk" was terrible. Talk at the date. Don't ambush her when she's getting ready.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

Can a judge just sentence someone to community service without even having a trial first? Embezzlement of $100,000 is not a misdemeanor. Wouldn't there be more of a process than that? Wouldn't the people she stole from have a right to testify and maybe demand restitution?

It could have been a plea deal, especially if the Statute of Limitations was running out.  For the state of Texas,

Embezzlement of government property by the public servant entrusted with control over it has a statute of limitations of 10 years. This same statute of limitations applies to thefts by executors, administrators, trustees or guardians controlling the assets of an heir, legatee, beneficiary, settlor, distribute or ward.

There is a seven-year statute of limitations that applies to thefts from a financial institution.

The Acorn Fairy had been "on the run for 10 years", so even in the worst case, she probably wasn't going to prison.

• Love 2

I'm not sure I'm really feeling it with Nate and Amy.

Totally not feeling it.  I think she had more chemistry with the hot teacher.

Again with a shirtless Jason Ritter.  Sigh.

The acorn fairy actress played Luke's sister on The Gilmore Girls.  Ah, memories.  What was the deal with the big dog inappropriately sniffing Kevin's crotch?  I've seen dogs humping legs, but that seemed extra ridiculous.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

She will always be Susan's annoying sister Chloe on ER to me!

She totally was Susan's sister Chloe to me for years and years and years.  And I was surprised that when she popped up I was like, "hey, it is Luke's sister" from Gilmore Girls.  Because seriously I thought she would always be Chloe to me.   Now, I guess she's Liz.   But I still get Blackbird stuck in my head when I see her and that was Chloe and Susan.   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

What are we to make of the fact that ABC showed a rerun of Match Game instead of Kevin last night? That can't be good.

February is a sweeps month. It's doesn't necessarily match the calendar, so the sixth may not be. And January 30 is State of the Union. So I'd say ABC at least thinks they can get more with a new Kevin than Match Game repeat. 

That said, I'm not optimistic.