Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

On 6/25/2018 at 11:12 AM, Julia67 said:

And I think she's ridiculous with Chris.  She acts like she's 12. 

I agree with you, she is like a silly school girl around him. Calm down, Amy. The relationship isn't new any more. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Well, Matt often smugly notes how resilient he is when he wants something and how when it really matters to him he doesn't let anyone stop him.

He sure has no issue pushing his wife to leave the big house - he WANTS that, to where not only does he constantly raise the issue, he's willing to tell her she's not listening in a very annoyed tone and roll his eyes at her even though he theoretically walks on eggshells around her temper. But raising the boys? Guess Matt didn't give enough of a shit to bother, where putting his foot down was too hard and he wasn't man enough to face "Amy biting his head off". Do keep in mind, I am not shocked giving a shit about raising the kids was much lower on the scale of "What Matt will fight for" than you know, material things. How many times did Matt opine to the camera that "spending time with the family is a waste of my time"? Several times. Also he was on record concerning his marriage that he wanted to go to Hawaii and everyone could go hang until they crapped out some grandbabies for him to bother over.

Really, not buying the "Matt was too beaten down by his horrible wife that all he could do was meekly nod 'yes'm' to her every whim". Matt's been all too public with how when he wants it, he'll bray like an ass and wear down the opposition. Guess the kids know now they mattered less than Matt getting the big house. I mean, Matt was too scared of Amy to fight for *them*, but he'll stand up against Amy's horrible temper if he gets the big house out of it.

But Amy HAS been very clear that she wants to stay in the big house - is anyone really arguing that she hasn't been clear on this point?

Because she is being excoriated for holding up Matt's plans. She's sticking up for herself and refusing to move and she's that bitch who won't answer Matt. She's that bitch ruining Matt's life by holding him up. If Amy doesn't do what Matt wants, she's that bitch who should live on the street for the rest of her life because crapping out four kids and washing their clothes, feeding them, changing their shitty diapers wasn't enough and will never be enough - she got the big hpuse in the divorce and she's a hateful bitch because she's not agreeing to her ex husband's plans for her home. 

Matt has NO reasonable expectation to even KNOW Amy's plans. They're divorced. She's not married to Matt so she's not his fucking property and it's no longer her wifely duty to say "Yes Matt, you have the penis so only your opinion matters". Matt isn't due ANY response from her because he dumped her for his sidepiece. 

Matt's essential argument over the big house is that he realizes NOW that she got the better deal so now it's unfair and he wants to renegotiate the divorce and Amy has EVERY RIGHT to say no Because MATT is being unreasonable.

And when Amy sticks up for herself she's deemed the hateful and bad tempered bitch but when she's NOT screaming "I DONT WANT TO MOVE" every five minutes, she's also on the hook for being a whiny bitch and accusing Matt of wanting to kick her out when apparently thats no happening.

when they had the "family meeting" if she had been adamant that she wanted the big house instead of asking Matt "well what are your plans, where are you gonna live" it would have cemented that her plans was to stay in the big house come hell or high water. She made it sound as if she was willing to move depending on what Matt did. I don't think any of the kids deserve the house until both the parents are dead and gone and the will is read.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I agree with you, she is like a silly school girl around him. Calm down, Amy. The relationship isn't new any more. 

Yeah, Amy is giddy around Chris on air.  I guess she's just so thrilled, she can't contain herself.  I don't think it's fake either. 

It seems to me that Matt and Caryn's relationship is a little more realistic.  They seem more like a mature couple. I like Caryn a lot, but, I do think that Caryn knows how to appease Matt.  Like when she didn't want him to run for office. Instead of warning him of his past or giving him an ultimatum, she said that she would support his choice, but, kept reminding him of how much she wanted to spend more time with him and how they had prior plans for Arizona.  I think she realizes she can get more with honey than vinegar.  lol But, Matt isn't stupid.  He makes his own decisions, imo.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

when they had the "family meeting" if she had been adamant that she wanted the big house instead of asking Matt "well what are your plans, where are you gonna live" it would have cemented that her plans was to stay in the big house come hell or high water. She made it sound as if she was willing to move depending on what Matt did. I don't think any of the kids deserve the house until both the parents are dead and gone and the will is read.

I thought she was asking questions because it was turning into "WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS??? What? My plans? Don't you worry your silly little head about MY plans but AMY WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS???"

If she's being asked to leave her home, she does have some right to know what the menfolk's plans are. If the men of the family aren't planning to move Matt into the palace, I actually think Amy might be more open to sacrificing for her children. That said, if Amy's plans CANT be a mystery and she has to scream them out on a constant basis with a "MATT ITS 6PM AND I HAVE NO INTENT TO MOVE! I WILL UPDATE YOU IN FIFTEEN MINUTES ! MATT ITS 6:15 I STILL HAVE NO INTENT TO MOVE!" - then I don't see why Matt isn't required to provide the info he demands from his ex wife. I mean, sure they aren't married but he is demanding to know her plans to when precisely she will decide to move. Why doesn't he need to spell out in detail why he needs to know? 

Oh right, he's divorced and he doesn't need to share his plans with his ex wife. Now why doesn't that go for Amy? Ever think f Matt treated Amy's questions about his plans with the respect he demand his questions be treated with, that he might get answers that please him more?

But like I said, I don't think there's any real doubt that Amy isn't planning on moving because Amy can't move away from the farm without putting her appearances on the show in jeopardy. Amy has also said it repeatedly - its on the fucking show - and quite frankly, she's Matt's EX wife so she's not required to share any plans and this idea that she HAS to clearly isn't a hard and fast rule because Matt's made it very clear that his plans and how he plans to accomplish them are not her business.

• Love 7
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, Amy is giddy around Chris on air.  I guess she's just so thrilled, she can't contain herself.  I don't think it's fake either. 

It seems to me that Matt and Caryn's relationship is a little more realistic.  They seem more like a mature couple. I like Caryn a lot, but, I do think that Caryn knows how to appease Matt.  Like when she didn't want him to run for office. Instead of warning him of his past or giving him an ultimatum, she said that she would support his choice, but, kept reminding him of how much she wanted to spend more time with him and how they had prior plans for Arizona.  I think she realizes she can get more with honey than vinegar.  lol But, Matt isn't stupid.  He makes his own decisions, imo.  

Her not reminding him of his past or saying negative things is like New Relationship 101. Of course she doesn't do those things. They've been dating for like, a minute. She's never birthed his children or wiped up his drool after multiple surgeries and arrests. Buckle up, Caryn. 

• Love 8

I thought of another reason that Matt might feel comfortable preparing for a future with Caryn.  She seems kind and compassionate.  I could easily envision her caring for a partner who is disabled and wheelchair bound or bed bound.  With Amy....oh my.  She never had much compassion for Matt in that regard.  I'd be afraid of her resentment.  

• Love 6

I don't think Matt wants the big house because it's bigger.  His gripe is that the DW isn't suited for a little person and the big house is.  I don't think it's ever been about the size.  BUT I bet his Arizona house isn't suited for little people either so his argument for the DW is kind of null and void now.  I think he gripes about the DW because the big house is obviously nicer and probably where the kids go by default and there's room for them to stay if needed.  Matt just wants what Amy has and needs his stuff to be better, bigger and nicer. 

• Love 8

The kitchen has been changed for Amy who loves to cook and bake and Matt changed a bathroom while Amy was on a trip. How will his girlfriend manage in that kitchen and bathroom?  How will he manage the steps up to the bedroom?   It's the BIG house he wants and her off it so he doesn't have to drive by on the way to his poor DW.  He probably signed the agreement out of guilt for boinking the help and wanted out. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I could easily envision her caring for a partner who is disabled and wheelchair bound or bed bound. 

Caryn?  I don't see it. I'm not, by the way, calling her a bad person or compassionless. I think she's a reasonably attractive, active woman who isn't ready to spend her days changing Matt's diapers while he rants at her how he's dying. Especially if they aren't married. Life with Matt is always all about Matt and what Matt wants to do and what Matt needs and with Matt in a wheelchair for the most part now (he's NOT as active as he was) this is as good as it will ever get. 

And I think some of Amy's anger and resentment comes from Matt holding it over his family's head that he was one day going to be crippled. I remember an episode from 2010 where he was telling the then teen twins that he was soon to be paralyzed and needed a surgery and everyone needed to cater to him because you know, he was suffering and soon to be paralyzed forever. 

And Matt is never unwilling to pull the "Pity me" card - how many people still think Amy, his ex wife should have been at his side tending him post surgery and railed against her for not doing so? I mean, he fucking left her, he's cried to the world how he doesn't love her any more and loves being free of her and having his new fuck but *Amy* is still on the hook when he has surgery to be at his side and if Matt has an injury, she's a BITCH if she's not there at his side, tending him and caring for his every whim. 

I wonder if Caryn realizes what she's on the hook for - if she walks away from Matt when the medical things get tough, will she be judged as harshly as Matt's ex wife who he clearly despises but who is still morally on the hook to tend him when he's on his bed of pain? I mean, Caryn says she loves Matt - doesn't that mean she needs to devote herself to his medical needs from now until he dies? And if she walks away, isn't that her being bad? 

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

The kitchen has been changed for Amy who loves to cook and bake and Matt changed a bathroom while Amy was on a trip. How will his girlfriend manage in that kitchen and bathroom?  How will he manage the steps up to the bedroom?   It's the BIG house he wants and her off it so he doesn't have to drive by on the way to his poor DW.  He probably signed the agreement out of guilt for boinking the help and wanted out. 

If I recall correctly, it was important to Matt that when the new edition to their old house was being prepared that the kitchen be custom made for Amy.  She loved to cook and the kitchen was the hub of the home, so, I get it. He seemed to think that it was a great thing for her.  I would think that it makes things easier, instead of stepping up on stools, but, it never seemed to mean much to Amy.  When asked pointblank if Matt had ever done anything with her in mind, she couldn't think of one thing. Zero.  And, I don't think she was worried over resale value, because, according to her, she has no intention of selling. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If I recall correctly, it was important to Matt that when the new edition to their old house was being prepared that the kitchen be custom made for Amy.  She loved to cook and the kitchen was the hub of the home, so, I get it. He seemed to think that it was a great thing for her.  I would think that it makes things easier, instead of stepping up on stools, but, it never seemed to mean much to Amy.  When asked pointblank if Matt had ever done anything with her in mind, she couldn't think of one thing. Zero.  And, I don't think she was worried over resale value, because, according to her, she has no intention of selling. 

Didn't he do it without asking her?  I recall her painting the cabinets shortly after he moved out because she didn't get any input on that.  And while even if it was done in secret, it was a nice thing to do, but to her it was probably another thing that was Matt's idea that she had no control over.  And when you have no many of those, no matter how nice of gesture it was, it will always cause friction. 

• Love 6

I don't recall if Matt asked her if she wanted the custom kitchen or not.  I don't think it was a secret though. That's one of the pluses of the thing, was that it would make it easier for Amy to use.  She seems to love using it, so, I don't think she hates it.  To me, the part she hated was that  it was a nice gesture from Matt. And, stuff like that is not tolerated well.  It's one of the things about Amy that just doesn't sit well with me.  She has some great traits, but on some issues, I just can't relate. 

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't recall if Matt asked her if she wanted the custom kitchen or not.  I don't think it was a secret though. That's one of the pluses of the thing, was that it would make it easier for Amy to use.  She seems to love using it, so, I don't think she hates it.  To me, the part she hated was that  it was a nice gesture from Matt. And, stuff like that is not tolerated well.  It's one of the things about Amy that just doesn't sit well with me.  She has some great traits, but on some issues, I just can't relate. 

is the master bath custom for their height ? and did any find out how many sq ft is the house? it seem quite "large"..

for me is the constant speaking/remembering in the past tense. I'm trying to remember the scene but what ever she was she went into great detail - like it was this morning. I can't even remember what I wore to work 3 days ago. For one episode, it would be nice for her to project what she is or wants to do next month, next year, 5 years from now. The closest I think I saw of her distant future verbiage is when she was planning to go on the bike ride though states with Chris.

Edited by sATL
2 minutes ago, sATL said:

is the master bath custom for their height ? and did any find out how many sq ft is the house? it seem quite "large"..

They never showed the master bedroom or bath, that I recall and I don't remember any discussion about their bathrooms on the show.  I think the only bedrooms ever shown were the twins, until a couple of seasons ago, when Amy was up in a guest bedroom doing something, decorating, painting......something like that.  The addition really was quite substantial, as the old house was not very large.  It should be on the county records, as they likely adjusted the square feet after the renovation.  I've never been able to navigate around their county's property and tax records, so, I don't know the answer. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought of another reason that Matt might feel comfortable preparing for a future with Caryn.  She seems kind and compassionate.  I could easily envision her caring for a partner who is disabled and wheelchair bound or bed bound.  With Amy....oh my.  She never had much compassion for Matt in that regard.  I'd be afraid of her resentment.  

Let's talk for a moment about Amy's compassion toward Matt.

For starters, she had enough compassion not to fuck the help. Guess cheating on one's spouse is not disloyal enough; it's extra-compassionate to carry on under said spouse's nose with a partner who is paid by one of the businesses that said spouse co-owns. 

She had enough compassion to stay with Matt through several job changes, including at least one termination; two OWIs; illnesses/surgeries and recoveries; one trebuchet accident (Matt's fault) that nearly killed one of their kids; and several years of doing all the heavy lifting with the kids because spending time with his family wasn't a good use of Matt's time.

But, hey. Matt gave her a kitchen. What a guy.

7 hours ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

Anyone remember when Matt had his last surgery and Zach went with him?  Even though Amy was conflicted about what her place was in all of that after he left her, she still had his bedroom set up for him with the good inclining bed from her house and made sure everything was all ready for his convalesence.  He didn’t ask her to do that.  She was genuinely concerned and came by to check on him when he came home.  All after he left her for one of her employees/friends.  In my opinion, THAT’S compassion

^^^ All this. And the rest of the post as well. Spot-on, @HighlandWarriorGrl.

• Love 17

Anyone remember when Matt had his last surgery and Zach went with him?  Even though Amy was conflicted about what her place was in all of that after he left her, she still had his bedroom set up for him with the good inclining bed from her house and made sure everything was all ready for his convalesence.  He didn’t ask her to do that.  She was genuinely concerned and came by to check on him when he came home.  All after he left her for one of her employees/friends.  In my opinion, THAT’S compassion

I assume it gets ignored because it hurts the narrative that Amy is always bitter and never does anything for Matt ever. The important thing to remember is that whatever Matt says is fucking golden.

When asked pointblank if Matt had ever done anything with her in mind, she couldn't think of one thing. Zero. 

If we're going to play this game, then Matt has point blank said spending time with his family is a WASTE of his time. 

Matt has said he lies about his health in order to get his way.

Matt has said he lies to Amy about the money he spends.

Matt has said everything Amy does is useless and pointless. 

Matt has said he wants to sell the farm.

Matt has said Amy is cheap.

Matt has said he thinks big while Amy thinks small.

If we're going to play the "If it gets said once, that person is accountable forever, no excuses" game then we better be playing it with all the players and that means Matt has said all of these awful things without apology or regret. Is he accountable as Amy is? 

• Love 9

Sometimes it feels like we take this whole Matt/Amy "who's fault is it" thing too seriously.  It's almost as though we PTV'ers have to get Team Matt or Team Amy shirts! Bottom line, it's not that serious. I enjoy the show, certainly enjoy our snark, but let's not forget, Friends, unless either Matt or Amy are fucking our own spouses, it's not that serious. I vote we stay fun and snarky! 

• Love 10
(edited)

I agree - thats why I am usually willing to give a lot on "Amy is a bitch" discussions but lately it feels like we all have to concede Amy's flaws and no one on Team Matt wants to hear anything but "Bless him for dreaming his dream, he deserves the best and Amy is a bitter hag who ALWAYS acts violently, angrily, and hatefully".

If Amy is going to be held to the harsh accountability that if she says something once, it means it IS - then its time Matt gets held to that standard as well. I am perfectly willing to address the idea that Amy Roloff ain't the nicest... I

I'm just tired of crickets from the Team Matt side when things like his bald faced lying to his then wife is mentioned, or his open public statements how his family is a waste of his time or his very public insistence that he's the much put upon victim in the divorce settlement he agreed to. If Amy is accountable for her words, then why isn't Matt? He said his family was a waste of his time - that must be what he thinks since he said it and thats the standard Amy is held to. Amy couldn't think of one nice thing Matt did for her, and she's accountable. Why shouldn't Matt be accountable as well?

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 11

Regarding the bathroom surprise--Amy seems genuinely happy and keeps praising Matt. So I don't think she's entirely ungrateful for whatever Matt has done. After a painful separation and divorce, however, some of these memories can be muted.

The thing about surprises-- it leaves all of the control in the hands of the "surpriser." It also focuses a lot of positive attention on said "surpriser." Now, while I personally don't mind being surprised by positive things, some people hate surprises. 

I also don't think Amy is some perfect zen-like saint--but I just hate when someone--anyone-- is treated unfairly. I also don't like when the party in a marriage or relationship who was the primary caregiver and nurturer is tossed aside and their contributions are negated or ignored.

• Love 9
(edited)
On 6/28/2018 at 7:51 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Different couples, different ways of handling relationships. I don't think it's fair to compare the two. We get to see Amy in the newer more giddy part of the relationship but we don't with Matt. Why? May we ask? Cause they were likely together long long before anything was made public. Including being made public to the person that counts the most; Amy-the actual wife. So we can't compare whether one relationship is more realistic or not, not a fair comparison. If Matt is happier with Caeryn, I'm happy for him. It benefits everyone, especially the kids and grandkids.  I am just a big believer in finishing one thing before you start another.  

Amy is completely entitled to find her way in life with another partner. HER happiness benefits everyone as well. 

Edited by Punkadoo
Tablets are evil
  • Love 6

I have no issue with Amy being giddy with Chris.  I think it's cute.  To me it shows that she hasn't grown too comfortable.  And to me, Chris seems sincere with his feelings about her. I really hope it works out, because, if not.....I think she'd be very hurt. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I think she'd be very hurt. 

I think that will happen...unless she decides she can be happy without being married.

10 hours ago, Punkadoo said:

We get to see Amy in the newer more giddy part of the relationship but we don't with Matt. Why? May we ask? Cause they were likely together long long before anything was made public.

And being forced to sneak around always seems so much more exciting in books and movies.  Matt probably never experienced anything like THAT before in his life!   Picturing Matt giddy is hilarious.   

23 hours ago, Literata said:

Let's talk for a moment about Amy's compassion toward Matt.

For starters, she had enough compassion not to fuck the help. Guess cheating on one's spouse is not disloyal enough; it's extra-compassionate to carry on under said spouse's nose with a partner who is paid by one of the businesses that said spouse co-owns. 

She had enough compassion to stay with Matt through several job changes, including at least one termination; two OWIs; illnesses/surgeries and recoveries; one trebuchet accident (Matt's fault) that nearly killed one of their kids; and several years of doing all the heavy lifting with the kids because spending time with his family wasn't a good use of Matt's time.

But, hey. Matt gave her a kitchen. What a guy.

And did he "give" her a kitchen?  I don't watch the show often enough to know if he built it personally or if he "designed" it (on his own--no input from the person who actually uses it?) and paid with corporation (his and her) money.   Again, I don't watch this show often enough...but I see Matt as someone who has manipulated people to get his way...all his life.  He can rant, play the sympathy card, be stubborn, become "ill," etc.--all of which seem to have worked.   I can't see his current romance being so "compassionate" and loving when she's his handmaid 24/7.  But there won't be a show by then.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Former Nun said:

And did he "give" her a kitchen?  I don't watch the show often enough to know if he built it personally or if he "designed" it (on his own--no input from the person who actually uses it?) and paid with corporation (his and her) money.   Again, I don't watch this show often enough...but I see Matt as someone who has manipulated people to get his way...all his life.  He can rant, play the sympathy card, be stubborn, become "ill," etc.--all of which seem to have worked.   I can't see his current romance being so "compassionate" and loving when she's his handmaid 24/7.  But there won't be a show by then.

They had professionals build their house renovation.  And it was discussed on the show that the kitchen would be designed for Amy, to accommodate her height. Part of her portrayal of the challenges of being a little person was having to continually hop up on stools to cook, use sink, use counter, etc.   Other little couples have modified their kitchens too, like on The Little Couple.  I don't recall anything about any corporation payng for it.  It was part of an addition and remodel of their existing home.

Matt has been an inspiration to me.  He's not perfect, but, no one is.   I find Amy inspirational in some ways too.  I chose to move forward after she and Matt separated and not dwell on her verbal abuse of him over the years.  So, to see them apart is quite a relief.  I hope they all can find peace and happiness. It seems like they are on their way, well, most are on their way.  I think that if Amy could let go of her resentment, she could do.  But, as some have said, perhaps, it's a process and she will eventually. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm absolutely certain, from having witnessed it on the show, that Matt is as verbally abusive as Amy, not to mention emotionally abusive. He calls her dumb and continually notes how she can't accomplish anything, he openly notes he lies to her, he told her to her face that he lies about his health in order to manipulate her into giving in to his demands. He tells his son Jeremy he needs to lie to Amy in order to get his own way. He openly states his family - which does include Amy - is a waste of time to spend time with.

Matt is not Amy's victim, cowed and peeing himself in terror as he whimpers at her verbal abuse. He gives as good as he gets and I have cited examples that occurred on the show. Telling family that you're dying so you need to get your way is emotionally abusive and manipulative. Telling your kids you have to lie to Mom in order to get your way is manipulative and emotionally abusive. Calling your spouse too messy, too cheap, too unimaginative in a public setting is verbal abuse and emotional abuse.

I am more than willing to note that Amy was also quick to give it back and often amassed the children against that but honestly - Matt dished it out just as hard if not harder. Seriously, he said spending time with his family was a waste of his time. He left his family in Ireland because he found their activity boring and wanted to have fun in a different country. This wasn't just one occurrence, there were many occasions where Matt got bored with the family so he showed his displeasure by walking away. Thats emotional abuse. 

Amy has never said spending time with her family was a waste of her time. Matt has. Matt is on record that spending time with the family is a WASTE of his time and frankly Matt is the one who is constantly stating he wants to sell the family farm that the kids love, not Amy. Thats how much he cares about the family loving the homestead, he constantly whines how he wants to sell it and move away.

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 9

I wish both of them continued health and success....I dont like Matt but I am sure that it doesn't keep him awake at night.  Amy is happy with Chris...and if I were her I would leave it at that.....dont move in together and dont anticipate marriage with him be happy with yourself...tell the boys go away and get on with your own life...leave mine alone...I love you but I dont need this in my life......to Matt....like I said...…….mind your own business....stay out of mine...if you want to see me make an appointment and meet some where other than where Matt sits on his fucking throne and you sit lower like a subject...….the last thing is....like I said change the locks get a rottweiller….who are really sweet dogs.....I had many....and tell them all..l dont need this stay away

• Love 4

I'm not trying to poke fun, but, that star spangled tank on Matt above really makes me laugh.  I'm not sure why, because, I get that it's due to the July 4th holiday. 

It seems the book tour is going well.  I'd get a personalized copy if I was in the neighborhood.  Too far for me though. 

• Love 2

And in fairness for all that Matt was theoretically doing the house renovation "to please Amy with a new kitchen", at the time it was going on he said that various renovations were intended for himself and for Amy and for Zach, that he wanted a home that dwarfs would be comfortable in. And his current whine about the big house is that the big house was designed to accommodate HIS physical needs and he's in constant desperate pain and agony in the double wide all while the house that he designed for him and his needs has Amy as the owner. 

I mean, I do think the kitchen counters were lowered for Amy and Amy is likely the one who benefited the most from the kitchen remodel. I just remember watching this season and the grand reveal of the kitchen involved Matt gleefully noting to Jeremy that the microwave was down low (which irritated Jeremy) because Matt wanted a microwave where HE could reach it and the kitchen would always be a reminder to Jeremy that he had little people family. 

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Amy has never said spending time with her family was a waste of her time. 

No. In fact, her family was her  life -- to the point at which, as she's said in recent episodes, she cultivated nothing of her own. In terms of raising children, attitudes toward it, and the amount of time willingly devoted to it, she and Matt are as polar opposite as polar opposite can be.

... which reminds me of something I've wondered about from time to time. Leading up to Ember's  arrival, the secondary drama is whether Amy will be back from her trip with Chris in time for the baby's birth. In my opinion, without a reason of which we're not aware, there's absolutely no way Amy would have chanced missing the birth -- no matter how gaga she is over Chris, no matter that she's now committed to cultivating her own life.

Further, Chris seems to respect Amy's kids and her relationship with them. I think he likely would have rescheduled the trip or, if that wasn't possible, encouraged Amy to sit it out.

Plus -- Amy wouldn't have slighted Jeremy by missing his child's birth after having been as involved as she was with Jackson's arrival.

My guess is Jeremy and Audrey pulled some condescending and heavy-handed "know your place" bullshit in advance of the delivery. So it would have made sense for Amy to say, essentially, "You know what? If my presence in your life is such a burden, I'm not going to change my plans to be here for you."

Or maybe she did just decide to put herself first. 

Edited by Literata
  • Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, Literata said:

which reminds me of something I've wondered about from time to time. Leading up to Ember's  arrival, the secondary drama is whether Amy will be back from her trip with Chris in time for the baby's birth. In my opinion, without a reason of which we're not aware, there's absolutely no way Amy would have chanced missing the birth -

Someone posted that the drama was faked and that the trip with Chris was over well before Odd's due date.  I am almost finished watching the season and I've come to the conclusion that almost all the drama was faked and lead by TLC.  Amy was actually in agreement with the twins about keeping the farm so things were twisted there.  Matt is the one who was bringing up selling the farm with glee as he stirred the pot and performed the TLC story line all while having already settled on the house in Arizona and knowing he was simply going to flip the other house he bought.  I wish now I'd never started watching the show as I think it has degenerated into 90% fake and staged this season.  The only somewhat real portions were with Audrey and Ember over the birth and health issues.  Amy looking at houses, the keep the farm drama, the trip with Chris was real but not the timing, all the rest was TLC manipulation I fear.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 5
On 6/26/2018 at 3:49 PM, ginger90 said:

Here’s a first day of school video (not the backpack one mentioned above, but that made me think of this one)

Uugh Zach's awful hat that he wore every. single. day!  That hat bugged me so much!

• Love 1

Someone posted that the drama was faked and that the trip with Chris was over well before Odd's due date

It was me and to be fair, Auj's original due date was Sept 1 and per Amy's facebook, she was back home from the motorcycle trip by Sept 1. Likewise. Zach and Tory were back from their short trip several days before Auj's due date.

I am almost finished watching the season and I've come to the conclusion that almost all the drama was faked and lead by TLC.  Amy was actually in agreement with the twins about keeping the farm so things were twisted there.

I think the "are we selling the farm" storyline has gotten so convoluted and ridiculous at this point and the twins aren't the sharpest tacks on the bulletin board that they might actually think Amy wants to sell. Because the storyline IS ridiculous here goes: Matt may or may not want to retire. Matt wants to build his own palace on the farm property if he decides to stay BUT if *AMY* decides to move, he can just move into the big house which he built for his own handicaps already! Amy, being somewhat off put by things like Matt setting up cameras all around the property and by his constant taking note of her comings and goings, HAS looked at other places but isn't interested in moving any time soon. Matt is telling the twins that Amy is dithering on moving but in reality, when it comes to the twins learning the farm business, they have no need to live ON the farm, they just need to live close enough to drive to work daily. 

Matt is the one who was bringing up selling the farm with glee as he stirred the pot and performed the TLC story line all while having already settled on the house in Arizona and knowing he was simply going to flip the other house he bought. 

This. Matt's agony of how he can't make a move until Amy makes a decision - yeah, Matt was lying for sympathy yet again. The whole time Matt was filming himself describing the agony he was in forced to live in the painful DW because he couldn't make a move until Amy's plans were made? He ALREADY owned his new house in AZ.

I think a lot of Matt's bitching to the media about how the show was negative was Matt realizing he was going to come off like an ass. 

Here's the reality. Without the farm, there's no show, so until TLC cancels this show, they aren't selling the farm.

That said, *Matt* is the only member of the family who ever expresses a wish to sell the farm. Amy wants to keep the farm because of all the memories. The twins and their wives want the farm kept because of all of the fond memories and because they want their children to know the farm. Matt is the one who says he wants to be done with the farm, Matt is the one who constantly mentions how he would like to move away. Matt never mentions fond memories of the farm. Matt is always the one who is talking about his wish to sell the farm. No one else in that family ever raises it as a topic, and no one but Matt seems to want it. The family doesn't want to sell the farm because they do want to continue having family gatherings on the farm. 

But Matt thinks spending time with the family is a waste of his time so I guess it's no wonder Matt wants to sell the farm.

*I also think Matt, being a manipulator, likes to threaten selling the farm as a way to keep the family whipped up emotionally so he can control them.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

This show, and many others on TLC play the, will we be done on time, will we/they/she/he make it on time bull. It’s tiresome.

All TLC would have to do is continually tape one family and just  change the titles because it's you know all the shows are the same.  All the families are interchangeable

(edited)
7 hours ago, Rap541 said:

But Matt thinks spending time with the family is a waste of his time so I guess it's no wonder Matt wants to sell the farm.

Back when Matt and Amy were married and all 4 kids lived at home, Matt used the farm as his reason for not traveling with the family. He said( then) that he never wanted to  leave the farm, even for family vacations. I lost count of the number of trips he either didn't go on or left early to return to his beloved farm. Of course, he would then leave a month later for a solo trip to Hawaii, etc.  

I realize that as Matt gets older, the farm may be too much for him. However, I think his main reason for wanting to sell the farm is that Amy lives there.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

I remember that too, when Matt said the fa was what kept him alive...and not, you know, the love of his family.

And yes, Amy has some control over it now, so now *Matt* is all about how HE wants to sell. Funny how Matt never references how his children's opinions on the topic matter. It's all about Matt

• Love 5

I think Matt wants to make it seem like he “has” to sell the farm either because Amy won’t move or won’t let him use business funds to build another house on the farm— that way his golden boy Jer won’t resent him for not inheriting the farm. Jeremy can blame his mother instead.

The only way Matt wants the farm ultimately is if Amy sells him her interest and he has total control of it, imo.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Of course, he would then leave a month later for a solo trip to Hawaii, etc.  

I had a boss long ago who used to consistently take private vacations, leaving his wife and three daughters at home. Turned out -- surprise! -- he had a girlfriend in a different state who would meet up with him on his solo travels.

Speculation only, obviously, but I doubt Caryn was Matt's first rodeo.

• Love 11

I think Matt wants to make it seem like he “has” to sell the farm either because Amy won’t move or won’t let him use business funds to build another house on the farm— that way his golden boy Jer won’t resent him for not inheriting the farm. Jeremy can blame his mother instead.

Well, Jeremy's selfish ass tendencies are the proof that the apple doesn't fall far from the selfish ass tree that is Matt Roloff but I do hope that when that day comes, Amy has a dvd made of ALL the times Matt noted publically that he wanted to sell the farm.  

It's funny though, that Matt is pretty clearly the only member of the family who wants to sell the farm.

I had a boss long ago who used to consistently take private vacations, leaving his wife and three daughters at home. Turned out -- surprise! -- he had a girlfriend in a different state who would meet up with him on his solo travels.

Speculation only, obviously, but I doubt Caryn was Matt's first rodeo.

Yup. This is also another example of Matt saying one thing in order to make his family look like a group of hateful monsters, but the actual reality is much different. Let me explain.

Matt, when on family vacations, pretty much constantly prats that he doesn't like travel. He's a farmer, a man who loves his land and he'd ALWAYS rather be doing on his land than traveling. He always wants to put his energy and time into the FARM. The farm is everything! Matt hates travel as it tuckers his body out and for what? For nonsense when he could be dreaming and loving the farm!

But... if the family isn't along, why, look! Matt's smiling and drinking and proudly displaying his selfies where he's proud to announce where he is getting that tan that makes the female fans chuckle how he's as brown as a I don't know what! For a man who HATES travel, Matt goes all sorts of places *by himself* and never once mentions his hatred of travel. Oh goodness no, Matt is having fun in Maui or the Caribbean or China or Arizona and there's never any mention of his tired tuckered out body or how he's only happy when he's got his feet booted to the farm ground. 

• Love 16
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, heatherchandler said:

Uugh Zach's awful hat that he wore every. single. day!  That hat bugged me so much!

And Jeremy's t-shirt that said "SHORT DWARFS" in the Star Wars font - he wore that constantly.  I wanted to burn that, and Zach's hat.

• Love 2
On 7/2/2018 at 9:57 AM, Rap541 said:

*I also think Matt, being a manipulator, likes to threaten selling the farm as a way to keep the family whipped up emotionally so he can control them.

No doubt about it!   Matt started his career as a kid.  It was probably his first hospital stay when he realized what power he had over his parents.  He earned a PhD as a selfish, greedy manipulator.  And the beat goes on.

• Love 7