Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

Wait, do you really think he was talking about Audj and himself?  Maybe he meant Matt and Amy. Or just theoretically, in general. Because ... yikes.  Breaking things at this point in their relationship, damn.  Well, that would explain the need for therapy already, wouldn't it? 

I wonder who the thing breaker was, him or her?  Assuming he was talking about them, that is. I vote for Audj.  I could see her getting frustrated as hell with Jeremy, at a mess he left or something, just slamming something out of frustration.  Just wild speculation, of course.  LOL I hope that kind of thing is not going on for realz.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I wonder who the thing breaker was, him or her?  Assuming he was talking about them, that is. I vote for Audj.  I could see her getting frustrated as hell with Jeremy, at a mess he left or something, just slamming something out of frustration.  Just wild speculation, of course.  LOL I hope that kind of thing is not going on for realz.

Well, she has plenty of ammo.  There always seems to be a wine glass in her hand.

• Love 10

Wait, do you really think he was talking about Audj and himself?  Maybe he meant Matt and Amy. Or just theoretically, in general. Because ... yikes.  Breaking things at this point in their relationship, damn.  Well, that would explain the need for therapy already, wouldn't it? 

We'll never know because once they realize what they implied with that comment, they'll be quick to deny it, I think. But to me, that sort of slip is telling. That's not a place your mind goes if it never happens when you fight. That's never happened in my relationships and I never saw that between my parents or other relatives. And agreed, Auj strikes me as the type to break dirty dishes.

It's just.... an open reference to violent fights, their constant refrain about how marriage is a battle to be fought, and the very name of their website is *beating*50 percent.... it feels weird.

• Love 4

Y'all are better people than I am, because I will absolutely feel a certain degree of schadenfreude if their marriage implodes after how smug they've been with acting like their two years of marriage makes them experts, with Audrey saying that wives shouldn't turn down sex and Jeremy saying that you shouldn't have any close friends of the opposite gender. 

I'll feel differently once they have kids, but until then... 

• Love 4

Oh trust me, I will feel the schadenfreude if they implode and I sure won't let it pass without comment... but I can't wish it on them. That's all. If they implode the way I think they will, I want to mock them with a clean conscious that I didn't wish it to happen. And I really am glad they haven't gotten pregnant yet - a baby is going to be a problem for these two

• Love 10
On 8/25/2016 at 2:57 PM, galax-arena said:

Oh, so Audrey's starting up a weekly devotional texting thing. For only $1.99 a month, you can receive Christian dime store cliches from the one and only Audrey Roloff. 

She can always get a job writing fortunes for Fortune Cookies. 

Seriously though, she'd better be careful of plagiarism because there are tons of similar free sites already out there and that doesn't even include the number of devotional books available.

Edited by Tidbit
Expand comment.
  • Love 3

I do think the breaking things was a slip but I think it might be something Jerk witnessed with his parents just as easily as something either of them have indulged in doing.  One reason is because I remember when Jacob was a problem child in Matt's eyes and I thought Jacob had left something of his out after Matt told him to put it away and Matt ran over it.  A bike or a wagon or something.  It was in one of those recap interview wrap up bits and Matt had this weird mix of snotty indignation and deep satisfaction when he told the story as if he was hero in it.  I think Jacob had to be all of nine or ten.  And of course Matt had to give this little homily about taking care of things the right way or they would be taken away and all I could think was "take it away but why destroy something you paid money for?"  Instead showing a strict but proper parenting it just showed me Matt was a mean impatience brat himself.

And the thing I just have a feeling on, is that when Jerk and Oddj unravel it is going be fast and furious.  Neither seems very bright, both are self-entitled and Jerk has no critical thinking whatsoever but was raised to adulthood by parents who took stabs at each other (particularly Matt) as if it was foreplay.  No way if this marriage ends (I can see stubborn entitlement keeping them locked together in the same bitterness that was Matt and Amy for so long), it doesn't get nasty.  Because Jerk also has that built in victimization going on.  Anything that goes wrong is really at the hands of others, not him.  Criticism is solely motivated by jealousy at his vast greatness.   Lack of achievement stems from others standing in the way of his talent, not his lack of skill.  The implosion of his marriage?  Let alone one built on the premise it is the template all others should follow?  Nasty I tell you.  Nasty.

• Love 8

Neither seems very bright, both are self-entitled and Jerk has no critical thinking whatsoever but was raised to adulthood by parents who took stabs at each other (particularly Matt) as if it was foreplay.  No way if this marriage ends (I can see stubborn entitlement keeping them locked together in the same bitterness that was Matt and Amy for so long), it doesn't get nasty.  Because Jerk also has that built in victimization going on. 

I disagree a little in that I think Audrey is actually reasonably intelligent. Who is the one with the plans to build a brand? Audrey. And her plans really aren't bad at all - she is pretty enough (and yes this does factor into things) well spoken enough, and white enough, that she can be successful  as a Christian speaker. She's the one pushing the wedding planning and it seems very clear that she understands the value of the Roloff property as it pertains to potential wedding businesses in the future. And although it's not my cup of tea, her new clothing line branded with her "Always More" philosophy is a way to make some money off the fame and to also separate her from the decidedly cheesy Roloff Farms schticky memorabilia. She clearly is planning for the post tv show future.

That is where I think we'll start to see problems arise - because Audrey is aiming for being a classy right wing evangelical sort of career, where she's a respected religious speaker and this is at odds with Matt's "lets make a cut rate amusement park as cheaply as possible" ambitions, and Jeremy is the dumb ass clod inbetween them.

Hear me out.  As depicted on the show, the wedding business was never really a business but it actually could be - the venue is fanciful and a lot of people like country themes. The problem is that to do it right means dropping all the really ridiculous "projects" that Matt and Jeremy love so much. It was really clear to me that Matt didn't like the organization and the sameness of the weddings. Granted, I do think there are some zoning issues involved and any number of buildings would need to be brought from "farming" to "commercial business" standards but the venue is nice enough, and close enough to a major city that they could be booking weddings all spring and summer. It would mean pushing all the pumpkin crap and the stupid useless projects to the side though, because no one wants a dilapidated non functional trebuchet to take wedding photos in front of. The problem of making it a wedding venue, and a marriage retreat (and this is Audrey's plan) is that all the stupid childish shit would need to either actually be kept up or torn down and the theme would be less "childhood games" and more "lovely wedding"...And I don't think Matt would handle not being allowed to have his way and I have to be honest - I suspect Jeremy would take his dad's side as goofing around the swamp fort (aka a wedding eyesore) is more important.

So I think the farm has the potential to be the family bitch point because I think Jeremy married his daddy in Audrey and she's got plans. And since a LOT of her plans hinge on her being happily married, I totally see this marriage running into the ground but not ending because these two have built their future on *being married*.

• Love 4
On 8/28/2016 at 6:49 PM, Honey said:

When I read what Jeremy wrote about "breaking things", I took it more like broken relationships, or broken trust, those kinds of things.

I guess next time they film in Jeremy's house, we need to compare the crockery with the last time.

• Love 5

"I can't even with these f*cking married 2 years so we're experts, morons.  I've been married 20 years and to this day I wouldn't be able to recite my wedding vows because I'm out of breath.  Jeremy and Audrey, you're doing it wrong."

BWAHAAAAAAAAA!!!

• Love 3

LOL oops I didn't realize that willowsmom had jumped in between me and Cofcinci. I was responding to the suggestion that Jer and Odd "fuck in front of a mirror"  haah

It's probably true.  They are huge fans of themselves, so I wouldn't be surprised. 

10 hours ago, galax-arena said:

Speak for yourself, Celia! This has added some much-needed hilarity to my day. 

You do realize I was addressing the lovebirds with that comment about nobody needing to know this and not my good friend CofCinci whom I depend on for shocking jokes and witticisms in several different threads that we both follow, right?  I'd rather be joyfully available for Jim Bob Duggar than suggest she ever hold back!  

• Love 4

Oh good lord, Celia, not Jim Bob Duggar. He's more unbearable than Auj and Jer. And yes, I easily followed your conversation. It was just the "dead" that baffled me. Is that like some sort of hip reference I'm not getting?

• Love 1

I always seem to miss the best snark when I am on vacation!

I didn't fucking take notes but having seen the endless repetition of the wedding, am I the only who thinks this might be a great way to kill the moment?

Now I am going over to the Jeremy and Auj thread to do a disrespectful summation of what lovemaking in the JerNAuj house sounds like.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, auntl said:

Why? Did he sexually abuse a family member, does he have multiple wives, did he beat his kids?

He exploited his family for money, just like the other "nice" TLC parents. I don't think that Matt Roloff deserves to be lumped in with the really low scumbag TLC families. I think that the Roloffs go in the upper TLC tier - YAY for them, they are the upper tier of the scum network.

Matt is verbally and emotionally abusive.

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, auntl said:

Why? Did he sexually abuse a family member, does he have multiple wives, did he beat his kids?

He exploited his family for money, just like the other "nice" TLC parents. I don't think that Matt Roloff deserves to be lumped in with the really low scumbag TLC families. I think that the Roloffs go in the upper TLC tier - YAY for them, they are the upper tier of the scum network.

Anyone who drives under the influence of alcohol continuously through their adult life is a scumbag.

• Love 5

Matt knows his youngest son hates the show and has been harassed on line about the show by rabid fans of the show who refer to Jacob as Matt's worst child. Rather than get a real job and make money like a regular person, Matt preferred and continues to prefer subjecting his children including his youngest, to the pressure of being on tv as it's more money.

It's not *Matt* getting called a slutty skank with brain damage who is EVIL and SATAN POSESSED but it IS Matt who gets paid for it.

That's before we get into Matt's defense of driving drunk aka "that time he drove sloppy cause he didn't want to be bothered changing the pedals and how dare anyone think that's selfish as fuck" - and yes, that was his excuse, he knows he's got a handicap that means he has to have special accomatations and instead of taking care of that, he decided "fuck it" and didn't bother adjusting the pedals on his wife's car and "drove sloppy" as a result. That's his official excuse in his second DUI case. That he just didn't give a shit about the safety of others to adjust the pedals correctly.

• Love 2

I wonder what it is that Amy intends to motivate people to do ....  stay in a crappy marriage in order to keep the intrusive reality show gravy train rolling so she doesn't have to have a real job? 

Oh, I'm sorry.  That was just mean.  Amy seems to actually have some charitable interests that I believe are sincere (I don't think the Christmas party for the kids was done only for the show.  I'm sure there are other things, too).  She's hardly evil incarnate but c'mon.

The thing is that Amy just doesn't strike me as incredibly motivated herself, so I am not sure how she is going to be able to motivate anyone else to do anything.  She did stay in a lousy marriage with Matt for years without ever really seeming to try to do anything to improve their relationship.  The only reason the situation changed was because Matt decided to pull the plug.  She doesn't seem very happy with where she is right now in her life after the divorce.  She doesn't really have much of a career to speak of, other than being on TV.  She doesn't seem to be excited by the farm or the farm-related businesses.  She just seems lonely and bordering on miserable.  I don't know how that translates into a career as a motivational speaker.

All that being said, I want to add that I *am* rooting for her.  I don't think she's a bad person and while she may not be a stellar parent, I believe she loves her kids and wants the best for them.  I wish her well.  I'd love to see her kick the world in the ass and then embark upon a motivational speaking tour so she could tell the world how she overcame all this adversity and found her happiness.  But I just don't think she's there yet. I can't imagine how she is going to stand up in front of a crowd of people and tell them what they need to do when she doesn't seem to even have the answers for herself. 

• Love 6
On 10/2/2016 at 8:11 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

I wonder what it is that Amy intends to motivate people to do ....  stay in a crappy marriage in order to keep the intrusive reality show gravy train rolling so she doesn't have to have a real job? 

I actually really like Amy, but I cannot imagine what she could possibly motivate me to do.  

Hope you are safe in Ft. Lauderdale right now!

• Love 1
On October 6, 2016 at 1:17 PM, heatherchandler said:

I actually really like Amy, but I cannot imagine what she could possibly motivate me to do.  

Hope you are safe in Ft. Lauderdale right now!

I'm good! Storm totally missed us... But apparently everyone forgot how to drive yesterday, because I ventured out to restock cold stuff and the roads were Marshall law, traffic laws merely suggestions. 

Very loosely related to little people big world, but there is a video going viral of little people in dinosaur costumes frolicking on the beach after the storm. 

I get skeptical when it comes to the motivational speaking circuit, I get the need for motivation, but I don't know that it qualifies anyone who has ever spoken publicly to speak. I haven't looked to see how much the tickets are, but my friends would never let me hear the end of it if I went, I'd have to don a large hat and sunglasses (which might be awkward in November).

• Love 1