Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On ‎04‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:00 PM, Grundoon59 said:

BTW Randy, I haven't read War and Peace either but I figured out the clue.  Also color me sad that no one knew Pride and Prejudice. 

I didn't get War and Peace, but went "D'oh!" after it was revealed.  Did get the rest, including The Age of Innocence (which a friend and I call the Age of Ennui because that's all the movie made us feel).

• Love 2
17 hours ago, teebax said:

I am an 80s girl through and through and have zero recollection of a safari craze. Maybe it didn't make it to Philly. I remember the movie being popular but not the craze. 

It definitely made it to the corner of Maryland that's just a hour south of Philly, because I had safari-inspired clothing.

4 hours ago, GalvDuck said:

Yes!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the Sara Gilbert similarity.  For me, it was more of a cross between Sara Gilbert and Jodie Foster.  For that and because of other reasons (only based on my perception), I was rooting for Carolyn.  

I kept thinking she looked like someone but couldn't come up with who.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

This lit major HATED Austin and couldn't identify a specific book if her life depended on it (go ahead, throw things at me). On the other hand, I did recognize that it was an Austin storyline

Jane Austen

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GalvDuck said:

Is it just me, or do they rock at getting the air dates on these episodes almost spot on with certain events?

Yesterday's FJ answer was about Baby Ruth/Babe Ruth.  Now, I just find out today is Babe Ruth day.  https://nationaldaycalendar.com/national-babe-ruth-day-april-27/

I mean, considering some shows get pre-empted due to breaking news or sporting events, I find it awesome that they get the air dates so close to holidays and events that coincide with some of the questions.  

Yes! I have a quickie meeting with my team each morning, and include what "day" it is, so I chuckled when I saw that today is Babe Ruth Day. If I had been better organized & prepared my agenda yesterday, I would have brought in Babe Ruths for all! 

What gets freaky is when they include clues about people who have died between the taping & airing of the shows. 

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Necco is rumored to be closing! People are panicking and willing to pay thousands of dollars to stores for their stash of those nasty wafers. Joke is, if people had been buying them all along, the company wouldn't have to stop making them. Here's the story.

Necco Wafers - the Halloween candy that always got thrown away. Reminds me of the great Twinkie panic of a few years ago. 

Boo hiss that shenanigans are helping Jeopardy's ratings. 

• Love 6

I don't mind Necco Wafers, but I'll really miss the "conversation hearts" at Valentine's Day.  OK, technically, they're fat wafers in a heart shape with word engraved & painted on 'em, but still... It was nice to get a wee piece of candy that said, "Be Mine."

• Love 8

I've been catching up on work...I'll never catch up on work...so I've missed the last couple days of the forum (but not J!)

You’d have to tell us who you are so that we can buy it. 

Not to scare Mystery Author, but she has given us enough clues that we can find her. This is a forum based on clue solving after all. But don't worry, your identity is safe with me, MA!

LOL. I hope I don't talk about myself too much, and if I do I sincerely apologize. It's just that writing requires a loner's temperament, a high tolerance for silence, and an unhealthy preference for the company of people who are imaginary or dead. So <g>, I have a blast when I join my friends on this forum, and I feel I've gotten to know some of you personally by reading your posts.

I do plan to dedicate my next book to the J! forum, and will tell y'all when that happens, but it will be a while. Even if I signed a contract tomorrow (which ain't gonna happen...my deadline to submit my manuscript is September), it takes a l-o-n-g time from contract to publication. My publishers have included Kensington (two years from contract to publication) and Harlequin (9+ months).

Once upon a long time ago in a galaxy far away (Texas), I was the editor of a small newspaper, but I quit that job to write during the day and wait tables at night. When diners heard I was published, they wondered aloud why I was waiting tables, assuming I was rich if not famous.

I'd tell them I was doing an expose on restaurants.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

You did mean Jane Austen, right?  I've read very little Austen.  Too little time!  Although reading more of them is on my bucket list.

Yep, Zoey1996, <and everyone else who gently, or amusingly noted the misspelling> my mistake. Apparently I hated her so much I didn't absorb the correct spelling. LOL.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Apparently I hated her so much I didn't absorb the correct spelling. LOL.

We will accept misspellings as long as the pronunciation does not change. So you lost no points or money value here.

• Love 16

Since my screen name is an homage to Mr Darcy, you guys are making me sad :-(   Heh,  my twitter handle also includes the MDarcy and my former coworker once asked me what my twitter handle meant. He’d never heard of Mr. Darcy.  

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Since my screen name is an homage to Mr Darcy, you guys are making me sad :-(   Heh,  my twitter handle also includes the MDarcy and my former coworker once asked me what my twitter handle meant. He’d never heard of Mr. Darcy.  

I always thought you were Marcy Darcy, from Married With Children:)

Edited by Trey
  • Love 9

@Mystery Author, as long as you don't mind us nosy types stalking down your work, I hope you keep sharing! I truly enjoy getting to know the personalities of the folks here, and especially our divergent knowledge bases and interests. (Nothing is more fascinating than "I can't believe people didn't know this!" to me.)

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Would it help to know that I hated Shakespeare too? (well, except for his most excellent curses and put downs) I have always been more of a modern/post modern lit fan.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:
11 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

You might even say he's just like a brother to me!

Did he keep the outcome secret from you? In any case, good luck to him! I'll try not to nitpick his demeanor. :D

Sure did!  

Another 75 minutes to go till J! comes on!  

8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Retroactive good luck to him! Please pass on any behind the scenes dish he shares.

I thought he posted on this forum, but I can't find his screen name so I guess not.  Our other brother (Gimmick Genius) is a member.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Since my screen name is an homage to Mr Darcy, you guys are making me sad

I've always thought of you as Mr. Darcy, but from now on you will be Marcy Darcy to me.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I've always thought of you as Mr. Darcy, but from now on you will be Marcy Darcy to me.

Heh, besides loving Jane Austen, I admit I also love Married With Children. I watch it every morning getting ready for work (less depressing than watching the news). 

The I’m Jewish line really cracked me up. But sigh, I thought it was another easy FJ. What other famous pieces of furniture is there. 

• Love 8

I was completely clueless for FJ, though I did think it should have been obvious after hearing the answer.  D'oh! 

Other than that, I didn't really give the game my full attention tonight.  Apparently I got distracted by something shiny.  I am sorry Tom lost, though -- loved the bow tie.  OTOH, I am not terribly upset that Carolyn lost.  I do have to give her props for her attempted FJ response. 

The only thing I wrote down that I got was the missed DD of peacock feather.

• Love 5

I didn't have FJ either. Couldn't think of it, but in my defense I was multi-tasking and not paying that much attention. I did, however, notice that they didn't get through the "Beyond the Grave" category. I need to stop telling myself I like certain categories because it almost always ends up with the contestants saving them until the end of the round.

I wrote down Cosmo, Old Ironsides, peacock DD, and Franz Joseph. I also wrote down, "A picture of a gingerbread house? GTFOH!"

2 hours ago, Pallida said:

@Mystery Author, as long as you don't mind us nosy types stalking down your work, I hope you keep sharing! I truly enjoy getting to know the personalities of the folks here, and especially our divergent knowledge bases and interests. (Nothing is more fascinating than "I can't believe people didn't know this!" to me.)

What's annoying to me is when people feel a need to quote your autocorrect failures and typos so you can't even go back and fix them! I'm usually typing on my phone or a tablet that hates me and my progressive lenses. Cut me some freaking slack!

I hope you all have a great weekend. The teacher walkout in AZ continues through Monday, and I'm anxiously wanting to get back to work but not enough to cave.

Edited by teebax
  • Love 15

This show can go to hell with its "Can you identify a gingerbread house?" - type clues. Kindergarten kids could've gotten that.  LOL

Also, if Alex is going to explain a category, he could at least do it right. "Earning Beyond the Grave" was described as "Highest earnings by celebrities according to Forbes magazine, for last year." I get that we can figure it out from the title, but why not say "...earnings by deceased celebrities"?

• Love 12

Arrgh....Ok I got to see Carolyn lose.....but....she's a cat person?!?  Noooo!

Interesting trivia maybe.....took my oldest, 16 years old, cat to the vet last week.  He's gone deaf and had started meowing very loudly.  Was it because of the deafness and he couldn't hear himself or something else.  Vet took his blood pressure.  My jaw dropped.  He shaved a bit off his tail and took the blood pressure there, doppler ear thingies.  Doubt it will ever be on Jeopardy but just in case.

BTW he's now on blood pressure meds!

d

Edited by deemac
goof
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, teebax said:

The teacher walkout in AZ continues through Monday,

My own personal walkout on my job is continuing over the weekend too.

This episode featured two adults and one twisting, hair tucking, gap mouthed Carolyn Codfish. Two out of three, the odds are getting better for an all-adult player group.

LOL at Carolyn Codfish's DD stumper: Woman's World Weekly. My subscription to that ran out years ago.

What was up with Trebek telling Tom it's okay to guess because "someone this week did that and came up with the right answers." WTH?

I got the TS of "several" since I've been in discussions about that before. (The circle of life comes to Jeopardy!)

I also got the DD stumper of peacock feather. I guess it helps to have peacocks and collect their feathers, which are full of "eyes" the birds use to amaze and scare enemies. When peacocks fan their tails and shake them, it makes quite the noise. Attractive to the ladies and scary as heck to varmints.

I missed the interview stories since the wind was blowing so my antenna dropped that entire section. I really wanted to hear Tom's story since I was pulling for him, being one Kevin Bacon away from him IRL. Well, as real as life on this thread gets. I'll have to catch it on YouTube I guess.

I was rooting for Tom, of course, and thought he did an excellent job. FJ was a stumper for me, and I had to look up just WHAT "piece of furniture" was given to that bride. What's up with writers all of a sudden coming up with an adult-level FJ? But at least Codmouth is gone, thank Neptune and all the fish gods for that.

Good luck to your cat, Deemac. Give him an extra hug and kiss from Saber.

• Love 8

Tom's kicking himself a bit for missing Old Ironsides -- because you should always guess on the Daily Double if you're not sure (since you'll lose the $ anyway!)  He knew the Constitution was Old Ironsides, but not that it was a poem.  Oh well.....

I don't think any of us, me included, had a clue for FJ!  Man, that was obscure!  Leo-de-who-wha-huh?????  Cameliard??  I guess since there was "Camel" in the name that, given a whole lot  of time, I might have put together Camelot and Guinevere.  But probably not!   Tom said as soon as they revealed Alexandra's answer he knew she was right though.  Sleeping Beauty was an interesting guess -- I'll ask him if he was thinking of the spinning wheel.

Now, back to debating whether "several" is a pronoun!  I guess it can be, according to the dictionary.  I always thought of it as an adjective.

And now, for something completely different:  Tune back in in July to see our other brother, Jim, compete (and hopefully avenge the family name!)  I think his debut is July 3 but can't swear to that.  Oh well, at least we don't have to worry about both brothers qualifying for the ToC!

• Love 15
42 minutes ago, deemac said:

Interesting trivia maybe.....took my oldest, 16 years old, cat to the vet last week.  He's gone deaf and had started meowing very loudly.

His name isn't Randy by any chance, is it?

No, seriously, I hope he's doing great and that the meds fix everything.  I asked my cat to send her best wishes, too, but she just yawned.

53 minutes ago, teebax said:

I hope you all have a great weekend. The teacher walkout in AZ continues through Monday, and I'm anxiously wanting to get back to work but not enough to cave.

Do not cave.  (I don't know a power-fist emoji, so just imagine one aimed at you and all your colleagues.  I credit my elementary-school English teacher for giving me the tools it takes to do my job.  Everything after that was just icing.  You can't be paid enough.)

22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I guess it helps to have peacocks and collect their feathers, which are full of "eyes" the birds use to amaze and scare enemies.

You have peacocks, Saber?  I'm so jealous.  A neighbor down the road used to have a pair (brace?), but they were often in the road.  I don't see them anymore, so they could've ended badly.

I liked Alexandra, and she made me laugh.  I just don't want her to wear that top combo again tomorrow.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I did, however, notice that they didn't get through the "Beyond the Grave" category. I need to stop telling myself I like certain categories because it almost always ends up with the contestants saving them until the end of the round.

Me too. As soon as Alex announced the category, I said "Michael Jackson" and I would love to have seen all of them.

54 minutes ago, SHD said:

This show can go to hell with its "Can you identify a gingerbread house?" - type clues. Kindergarten kids could've gotten that.  LOL

That was just bizarre! Next week on Jeopardy: This shape has three sides [insert picture of a triangle]

@The Wild Sow I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating Tom for adding "Will" to "Smith" without being prompted! He may not have won, but he did well. And wore a great bowtie.

I'm a little late on the candy discussion, but I love salt water taffy. As for Necco wafers, I knew them from crossword puzzles and pop culture, but had never had them, so bought a roll last year. Yawn.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Fex said:

As for Necco wafers, I knew them from crossword puzzles and pop culture, but had never had them, so bought a roll last year.

And you still have that roll, right?

17 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

You have peacocks, Saber?  I'm so jealous. 

They can be quite spectacular, especially when they puff up, fan out the tail, drop their wings and do their "shake, rattle and roll" dance. They roost at night, which is usually when they call. They sound exactly like jungle birds. It would freak you if you heard one, not knowing what it was.

Jeopardy side note: Females are peahens. I think that might have been a clue once.

19 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I just don't want her to wear that top combo again tomorrow.

Oh my. I know, right? Hint: Sports bra. (We just can't escape that "bra" subject, can we.)

28 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Now, back to debating whether "several" is a pronoun! 

That whole "pronoun" category pretty much lost me. I never was good at diagramming sentences, just writing them. Most of those words I never knew were pronouns. Which is why I'm not a clue writer for this show I guess. (That and a zillion other reasons.)

30 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

I don't think any of us, me included, had a clue for FJ!  Man, that was obscure!  Leo-de-who-wha-huh?????  Cameliard??  I guess since there was "Camel" in the name that, given a whole lot  of time, I might have put together Camelot and Guinevere.

I saw "camel" and thought Scheherazade. Because I couldn't think of anything else. Sleeping Beauty was as good a guess as any, plus Trebek did tell Tom to guess. I thought Tom played well and did nothing snark worthy. For a while there, I thought he was going to be the new champ. He has nothing to feel bad about, although in hindsight I'm sure he's thought of a lot. But tell him he done good. Saber approves. Plus he looked great, so there's that. (Which is a big plus these days.)

35 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Tune back in in July to see our other brother, Jim, compete (and hopefully avenge the family name!)  I think his debut is July 3 but can't swear to that.  Oh well, at least we don't have to worry about both brothers qualifying for the ToC!

I'm looking forward to it. It would be cool to see brothers on ToC, but I hope we get to see Jim. (And then Wild Sow needs to qualify!)

30 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

LOL!

40 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

He knew the Constitution was Old Ironsides, but not that it was a poem.

Upside: Now he does.

2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

What other famous pieces of furniture is there. 

Liberace's piano.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

People want what they can't have. When you could only get Coors in the West, people in the East would go nuts trying to get it. Now it's just another crappy beer. 

Back in 1970 or so, when I was pretending to be a college student, we would drive from San Marcos to LLano, Tx to get Coors and resell what we didn't drink on the way back.  Needless to say, I didn't last long in college.  That's what happens when you major in Men and Beer.

Sorry to see Tom leave, however, there were two Houstonians this week, and the better of the two won.  (Looking at you, RANDY)

• Love 7

I like salt water taffy, but only banana and vanilla.  Growing up at the shore it was part of my summer diet.

I like Necco wafers, but only chocolate.

I like chocolate, but it has to be cold.

My candy preferences just might be a little odd.  ;-)

38 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Cameliard??  I guess since there was "Camel" in the name that, given a whole lot of time, I might have put together Camelot and Guinevere. 

That was my exact thinking, so I was pleasantly surprised to be right. 

Add me to those who loved your brother's bow tie.

44 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

I liked Alexandra, and she made me laugh.  I just don't want her to wear that top combo again tomorrow.

That was not a good look.  And this coming from a person with zero sense of style.

• Love 6

I wish they’d gone back to the Earnings Beyond the Grave category rather than starting in on Luther; I had run the first round until then (and even got the first couple from that category).  But, hey, it gave us, “I’m Jewish,” so I’ll take it.  Carolyn cracking up at that made me laugh even harder.  (And, yeah, Alex did a terrible job describing it; if they were going to bother with an explanation - I correctly assumed what the clues would be about just based on the title - it needed to include the pertinent part about DEAD celebrities.)

I think the only TS that surprised me was Cosmopolitan – with “worldly” in quotes, it was clearly a synonym they should have been thinking of, not a title that actually contained “World,” and with a wrong answer the other two had plenty of time to think; Cosmo isn't exactly obscure, so I would have expected someone to know.

That two of them didn't know FJ surprised me, too.  "Round Table.  Arthur.  Guinevere."  That's about as much thought as it took me to get to the answer.  Despite that, I wouldn't have expected all three to get it, but only one did raise an eyebrow.

• Love 3

Tom looked very professorial. Sorry he didn't win, but I also liked Alexandra. Her barely saying, "Who is Jesus?" and then "I'm Jewish," was one of the funniest thing any contestant has said. 

I guessed Old Ironsides for that DD. I don't know where that came from. Who knows, I may have come across it in a literature class.

I also got the other DD of peacock feather. That's the only feather with an eye that I could think of. I didn't know about the superstition.

For FJ, at first I thought Sleeping Beauty, or Aurora, because of the spinning wheel, but then I remembered that she wasn't married at that point, and the spinning wheel came from the woman who cursed her, or something like that. So, I didn't have a guess for FJ. Actually, King Arthur flitted about in my head, but I didn't stop to think about it.

• Love 4

What you know always seems easy to you. FJ was an instaget for me. If you want to see a great, underrated movie, check out John Boorman's Excalibur. A youngish Patrick Stewart (with hair!) played Leondegrance of Camiliard. It's a true classic. If you need any more motivation to seek it out, it also features young and sexy Helen Mirren and Liam Neeson.

Sorry Tom didn't win - hope he had fun.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, lb60 said:
1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

Cameliard??  I guess since there was "Camel" in the name that, given a whole lot of time, I might have put together Camelot and Guinevere. 

That was my exact thinking, so I was pleasantly surprised to be right. 

I had no clue either, despite having read multiple Arthurian series. The name meant nothing to me. But I did say "oh that looks a little like Camelot" but was second guessing myself because I couldn't think of any furniture, then DUH the round table popped into my mind just before the music ended. I was shocked I was right. I've made guesses before, even gotten the answers through deductive reasoning before, but I felt like I was pulling a thin strand of nothing and got it right. That was fun.

1 minute ago, Kathira said:

What you know always seems easy to you. FJ was an instaget for me. If you want to see a great, underrated movie, check out John Boorman's Excalibur. A youngish Patrick Stewart (with hair!) played Leondegrance of Camiliard. It's a true classic. If you need any more motivation to seek it out, it also features young and sexy Helen Mirren and Liam Neeson.

Saw that many, many years ago. Like when it came out (or maybe it was in college at the art movie house - maybe I'm really not as old as I think). I remember liking it quite alot (but didn't remember the names for crap). For some reason, I was taken with the guy who played Merlin, I don't remember who that was. Helen and Liam were on Graham Norton recently (they used to live together), and Liam told a pretty funny story about him and Ciarian Hinds first laying eyes on Helen.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I saw "camel" and thought Scheherazade.

As did I.  My brain went camel = Middle East = Scheherazade?  Nefertiti (who was a real, not legendary, person)?  Princess Jasmine?!  Would have started to write Scheherazade & run out of time!

Jim said he guessed Pandora (a box qualifies as furniture, I guess!)

45 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

'm looking forward to it. It would be cool to see brothers on ToC, but I hope we get to see Jim. (And then Wild Sow needs to qualify!)

I had 2 auditions (2006 and 2008) but never got the call (yet!)  Both boys tested and auditioned in 2017 -- I think I did well on this year's test (45!) so I'm still holding out hope for an audition -- don't know what cities have already held them.  Or maybe Jeopardy got sick of me 10 years ago and decided to never call me again!  Hey, J......??   I lost a bunch of weight, got a good haircut, and had my teeth fixed......I'm telegenic now!  Gimme another chance....pretty please??

Or we might just have to make a kick-ass Family Feud team!

About the bow tie:  I'm not sure, but it looks like a Carnegie Mellon Tartan tie.  Our family has deep roots at that university, both educational and employment.  Our Dad wore a Carnegie Tech Tartan tie just about every day of his life.  He was Class of 1949.  High school was 1939 -- with a little interruption called WWII in between!  That could even be one of Dad's ties; I will ask Tom.

Edited by The Wild Sow
discuss tie
  • Love 14
8 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Tom looked very professorial.

To say the least.  I had to have an honest moment with myself, because I dislike bow ties and the overall look, yet at his age, I looked at him and thought, "You do you."  A young man standing there with the same look, I'd have rolled my eyes so hard they sprained.  Unfair to accept one is genuine and dismiss the other as an affectation?  Yep.  Any hope I won't roll my eyes at the next hipster doofus in a bow tie?  Nope.

• Love 4

I couldn’t bring Guinevere out. Legendary made me think Camelot and Arthur, but I couldn’t pull her name. Somehow Gaiwan popped in my head, and I knew that was a knight, but it wouldn’t leave. I think I would have preferred having no idea. 

My mom once told me that peacock feathers are bad luck when used as home decorations, and it’s always stuck with me. I’m not sure I ever connected it with evil eyes though. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SHD said:

That could be why a lot of us long time watchers are noticing that the game is evolving from what it used to be. Now instead of trying to test our intelligence (adults), it is also trying to appeal to teens and the younger sets of age. Not good Jeopardy. We need stimulation. If we want kindergarten we will go to the store and buy some finger paints. 

I got Doyle, Cosmo, Emerson, peacock, Franz F. I didn’t get FJ either. 

Carolyn was almost too quirky for me so I’m glad that Alexandra won. 

@deemac Sorry to hear about your kitty. I’ve been there. Try to start using hand signals now as your cat not be able to respond to your voice later. That sounds weird, how they did the blood pressure but ok...whatever works. My 2 furry kids wish yours better health. 

@saber5055 Peacocks...I’m jealous save I’ve heard them and indeed it can be unsettling until you get used to it. Lucky you. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Added some comments
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I had no clue either, despite having read multiple Arthurian series. The name meant nothing to me. But I did say "oh that looks a little like Camelot" but was second guessing myself because I couldn't think of any furniture, then DUH the round table popped into my mind just before the music ended. I was shocked I was right. I've made guesses before, even gotten the answers through deductive reasoning before, but I felt like I was pulling a thin strand of nothing and got it right. That was fun.

Saw that many, many years ago. Like when it came out (or maybe it was in college at the art movie house - maybe I'm really not as old as I think). I remember liking it quite alot (but didn't remember the names for crap). For some reason, I was taken with the guy who played Merlin, I don't remember who that was. Helen and Liam were on Graham Norton recently (they used to live together), and Liam told a pretty funny story about him and Ciarian Hinds first laying eyes on Helen.

Nicol Williamson played Merlin. He was very striking and I think you're not alone remembering him in that role. I saw Helen Mirren and Liam Neeson on Graham Norton, too. It was on Excalibur that they met. She's still a hottie at 72, but 37 years ago, she was jaw-droppingly sexy. It's a pretty sexy movie overall. Sexy, funny, dark, sad and strange. There have been a lot of attempts to do justice to the Arthurian mythos and Excalibur is definitely a worthy effort. Interestingly, Boorman had wanted to do a Lord of the Rings adaptation,  but the production would have been prohibitively expensive, so they made Excalibur instead. And the "Charm of Making" from it was a key element in Ready Player One (among other less interesting 80's movie references).

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I also got the other DD of peacock feather. That's the only feather with an eye that I could think of.

The Great Argus Pheasant has "eyes" too -- our Aviary has one and I had a very close encounter with him once!  Gorgeous bird.  I didn't know about the superstition, either.  I always wonder whether using Macbeth as a clue in Jeopardy is actually bad luck (since the studio they're taping in certainly counts as a theater, and they're not actually performing  the play.)  Would they accept The Scottish Play, I wonder? <g>

• Love 8
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I guessed Old Ironsides for that DD. I don't know where that came from. Who knows, I may have come across it in a literature class.

I knew Old Ironsides, but I'm from Massachusetts and have toured the ship.

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got Doyle, Cosmo, Emerson, peacock, Franz F.

Got FJ as I vaguely remembered the name of Gwen's father in Arthurian legend from my Brit Lit class in high school.  

1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

I had 2 auditions (2006 and 2008) but never got the call (yet!)  Both boys tested and auditioned in 2017 -- I think I did well on this year's test (45!) so I'm still holding out hope for an audition -- don't know what cities have already held them.  Or maybe Jeopardy got sick of me 10 years ago and decided to never call me again!  Hey, J......??   I lost a bunch of weight, got a good haircut, and had my teeth fixed......I'm telegenic now!  Gimme another chance....pretty please??

When I last auditioned in 2016, I had taken the test in January and never received any notice until September for the audition in October so don't give up hope yet. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got Doyle, Cosmo, Emerson, peacock, Franz F. 

Franz F? Don't you mean Franz Joseph, not Franz Ferdinand? Got those too. 

• Love 1

Yay!  I found a decent YouTube video of the episode, so I got to watch.  Take that, NFL Draft!

I was mightily rooting for Tom!  I'm sorry he didn't win, but he did a good job.  ?  (That emoji is the closest thing to a bow tie I could find. ?)

I'm so glad Codfish Carolyn lost.  What a twit.  Congrats to Alexandra!  "I'm Jewish" cracked me up.

The only TS I got was peacock feather.  I was beyond clueless for FJ.

@saber5055 - I love peacocks.  They are beautiful , magnificent birds.  I used to live less than a mile from the zoo and I loved listening to the peacocks yelling "Help!" every night when they flew up into the trees to roost.

• Love 8

She's still a hottie at 72, but 37 years ago, she was jaw-droppingly sexy.

Helen M is in one of my all-time favorite movies: White Nights. I recently saw it (on TCM, I think). She looked drop-dead gorgeous then, and I think she's drop-dead gorgeous today.

Her barely saying, "Who is Jesus?" and then "I'm Jewish," was one of the funniest thing any contestant has said. 

I agree. I also agree that she should maybe choose another outfit, and that Tom was classy (and verrrrry good looking).

Expletive deleted on Gingerbread house,

• Love 10

Let me nominate the lowly circus peanut candy.

I was talking to a woman once in the supermarket who said she buys the circus peanuts for her cat. Kitty LOVES 'em. Go figure.

I forgot to root for Tom until I noticed the bowtie, and then I was all in cheering him on. I was clueless on FJ, guessed on "Old Ironsides" and actually said, "What is the Scottish play?"

Years ago, before it became a resort and was just a ruin of a house, I toured this place. They have peacocks. One of the guides told me that a few weeks previously, they had a production of, yes, Macbeth on the site at night. Right at a particularly spooky part of the play, one of the peacocks started yelling & scared the crap out of everybody. LOL.

When the dead celebrities category came up, I pre-guessed Jackson, Elizabeth Taylor and Elvis. <shrug> One out of 3.

When Tom said, "Ivan" and Alex hesitated, I half expected Tom to say, "'Terrible' is in the clue." I know I did. It always puzzles the cats when I talk back to the TV.

• Love 9

Disappointed that Tom didn't pull off the win, but he was a great player & I enjoyed watching him. Hope you can make it a family Jeopardy trifecta @The Wild Sow

<pic of gingerbread house> Identify this. Ugh!

Ran the "Rain" & Matilda Effect categories. TS I got were Cosmopolitan, peacock feather (Carolyn's DD), Franz-Joseph. FJ took a second, but I got it within time to write it down. My name is derived from Guinevere, and one of my classmates with the same name ended up naming her daughter Guinevere. BTW, I was sure the answer would be a man since the category was "Legendary People", and not "Legendary Women". Maybe because men were mentioned in the clue? Or are J! writers becoming enlightened? 

Carolyn's open-mouth gaping was really noticeable to me Friday. Alexandra's "I'm Jewish" was awesome. 

Helen Mirren is a goddess.

@deemac - Best of kitty wishes to your sweet guy. My 2 monsters have what I call selective hearing. They don't hear me yelling 'GTFO the counter', or 'stop chasing each other/fighting', but make a slight crinkly noise with their bag of treats while moving it, & they will awaken from a deep sleep on the other side of the house. Hope the pill-giving goes smoothly. One of my cats is currently on 2 insulin shots/day, but has had pills, liquid antibiotics, and eye drops in the past. The liquid antibiotic was by far the worst to administer!! Speaking of cats, I can't decide how I feel about Carolyn's cat being named Fred Noonan because of his ability to disappear. As much as I love a dark sense of humor, I think I have reservations because I have been, not obsessed exactly, but very interested in Amelia Earhart since I was about 10, and if Carolyn's cat were named Jimmy Hoffa I'd probably love it. 

9 hours ago, teebax said:

I didn't have FJ either. Couldn't think of it, but in my defense I was multi-tasking and not paying that much attention. I did, however, notice that they didn't get through the "Beyond the Grave" category. I need to stop telling myself I like certain categories because it almost always ends up with the contestants saving them until the end of the round.

I was also disappointed that they did not finish the "Beyond the Grave" category. 

Sending tons of good vibes to you. My city's school district is laying off 200-250 teachers which is so eff'd up I can't even express how eff'd up it is. 

8 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Dying! 

Alexandra is very pretty, but I agree that her outfit did not do her any favors. 

7 hours ago, lb60 said:

I like chocolate, but it has to be cold.

Reeses pb cups must be cold. I hide them in the vegetable crisper drawer since I am the only one who goes in there (tip learned from The King of Queens). Non-refrigerated snacks are hidden in an empty tampon box. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I toured this place.

My granddaughter is horse crazy and we both ride. Do you think this place is suitable for a teenage girl? Mind you she’s very shy, has good manners when she is brave enough to speak up (so dissimilar to my daughter and me..where did she get that gene lol) and and is a gentle soul. Is it geared to adults only? I’m looking for somewhere to take her for about 4 days and 3 nights (all the grandies get a long weekend with me in the summer. I give them a small budget and do whatever they want until their funds are dry. The 14 year old grandson chose Universal for instance but he’s very active). She can’t stand those parks as it is too stimulating and congested for her) Thank you for any insight. 

• Love 1

(FYI, Patrick Stewart’s hair in Excalibur was a toupee—he had lost pretty much all of his hair by age 19. He had a toupee in I, Claudius a few years before Excalibur.)

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2
54 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

My granddaughter is horse crazy and we both ride. Do you think this place is suitable for a teenage girl? Mind you she’s very shy, has good manners when she is brave enough to speak up (so dissimilar to my daughter and me..where did she get that gene lol) and and is a gentle soul. Is it geared to adults only? I’m looking for somewhere to take her for about 4 days and 3 nights (all the grandies get a long weekend with me in the summer. I give them a small budget and do whatever they want until their funds are dry. The 14 year old grandson chose Universal for instance but he’s very active). She can’t stand those parks as it is too stimulating and congested for her) Thank you for any insight. 

I really don't know. I was there about 25 years ago, before they made it all Resort-y. It probably is suitable, though.

• Love 2

To all that commented on my Ebony Moon.....I'm tech challenged and the multiple quotes are beyond my skill sets.

Blood pressure was the beginning of last week.  This past sunday one side of his face was all swollen....cracked tooth.  He's doing well and still the sweetest cat I've ever owned and I've always owned multiple (OK...I also have multiple dogs and bunnies lol) very easy to pill.

Re deafness....he compensates very well visually, actually took me a while to figure he failed the can opener test, he does watch everything going on.  A rescue from a shelter that when I saw him I almost fainted.  He's a black smoke colored cat.  Beautiful and somewhat rare, short haired so I feel it looks better than the long haired version.  I'd always wanted one.  Another trivia lol  (eta....he looks black but when he moves you can see the pure white undercoat)

I have too many cat/dog/bunny stories so have to quit!

Edited by deemac
more info
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, deemac said:

To all that commented on my Ebony Moon.....I'm tech challenged and the multiple quotes are beyond my skill sets.

Blood pressure was the beginning of last week.  This past sunday one side of his face was all swollen....cracked tooth.  He's doing well and still the sweetest cat I've ever owned and I've always owned multiple (OK...I also have multiple dogs and bunnies lol) very easy to pill.

Re deafness....he compensates very well visually, actually took me a while to figure he failed the can opener test, he does watch everything going on.  A rescue from a shelter that when I saw him I almost fainted.  He's a black smoke colored cat.  Beautiful and somewhat rare, short haired so I feel it looks better than the long haired version.  I'd always wanted one.  Another trivia lol  (eta....he looks black but when he moves you can see the pure white undercoat)

I have too many cat/dog/bunny stories so have to quit!

Could you please post a picture of him on the Pets thread? His coat sounds amazing and I’d love to see it. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

As did I.  My brain went camel = Middle East = Scheherazade?  Nefertiti (who was a real, not legendary, person)?  Princess Jasmine?!  Would have started to write Scheherazade & run out of time!

Just thinking of having to write out that name, and the many paths to failure, gives me the shivers.

11 hours ago, Pallida said:

My mom once told me that peacock feathers are bad luck when used as home decorations, and it’s always stuck with me. I’m not sure I ever connected it with evil eyes though. 

I used to have bunch (fewer than ten, more than 3, I don't remember) in a vase in my first home with my ex. Maybe the bad luck thing is right. ;)

9 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Franz F? Don't you mean Franz Joseph, not Franz Ferdinand? Got those too. 

As a person of Austrian heritage, who grew up speaking German, I was somewhat offended that Alex didn't pronounce it correctly (Yo - seph, not Joe - seph).  I sure did when I answered (when you learn it in one language, you don't automatically Americanize it - at least I don't, ya'll would hate me)

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, deemac said:

He's a black smoke colored cat.  Beautiful and somewhat rare, short haired so I feel it looks better than the long haired version.  I'd always wanted one.  Another trivia lol  (eta....he looks black but when he moves you can see the pure white undercoat)

Oooo. Sounds gorgeous. 

There are peacocks roaming wild around where I live. Of course they're beautiful, and many people love them, but many people hate them as well because they can destroy roofs and yards. 

• Love 2