Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0: Season Three Talk

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Another great impression added to his repertoire: Mickey Mouse. I suppose it's not that difficult to do a Mickey Mouse voice, but his different voices are always funny.

Yes! I live for Trevor's vocal impressions.

19 hours ago, ganesh said:

How about the NHL player? I know his first love is playing for Montreal, but Nashville got a great person. 

What a great guest. I also really enjoyed the guest on the previous night, author Jason Reynolds - I could have listened to him talk for hours.

• Love 4

I normally would laugh but 45 saying "his or her womb" is just sad. Trevor is correct that he doesn't really care enough about the issue, as with most issues, but I also think he's just not intelligent.

The people texting about Trump being an idiot were removed from the investigation as soon as the texts were discovered. So there's not much else there. I would have loved if they kept trolling though. "Are you coming to the meeting of the Secret Society tonight?"

I mean, it's so obvious a joke and it's pathetic how desperate the gop was whining in the clips Trevor showed. Because Meuller has been so quiet they're freaking out. 

Edited by ganesh

The African talking stick had me in stitches. It looked like a cheap toy and what Trevor said is probably true. I know in my part of Africa we don't do that kind of stuff, but wow is that a great business opportunity for the people there. If I was in Africa I'd have a gift store thing where I just rip off people who want to take in the full 'African' experience.

It was nice seeing P.K. there. I loved him in Montreal and he's such a fun athlete to watch. I know he has a lot of haters and unfortunately whenever the playoffs happen he's always getting racist comments from some opposing fans, but he takes it in stride and keeps his head up. I love it. It's clear that Trevor doesn't know much about hockey though. It was funny seeing him mention the Stanley Cup when it's still January.

• Love 6

Funny thing. In his less than 2½ years hosting TDS, Trevor managed to get as many hockey personalities onto the show as Jon did in his more than 16½ years during his time. And Jon waited till he was one foot out the door before inviting someone like Slava Fetisov as a guest. Loved the P.K. Subban interview. I always knew he was a superior class act as well as a great player. Too bad some thought his personality was too much for a "Good Canadian Hockey Boy", which is why I thought that was a big reason Montreal traded him to Nashville a couple of years ago - and why it looked so good that the Predators made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Final last year, while the Habs got skunked early in the playoffs.

I wanted to violently throw up watching all those Fox News hacks give Drumph a verbal tongue bath last night. Disgusting and disgraceful. But that seems to be the standard the Lardass in Chief expects all media personalities to perform for him.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

It's clear that Trevor doesn't know much about hockey though. It was funny seeing him mention the Stanley Cup when it's still January.

I'm always a little surprised when he has athletes on. He talks about American football sometimes, too, and I wonder if he's gotten into it since he's been here or if it's just for the show. We know he's a soccer fan.

2 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Funny thing. In his less than 2½ years hosting TDS, Trevor managed to get as many hockey personalities onto the show as Jon did in his more than 16½ years during his time.

Overall Trevor has had guests much more interesting to me on average. 

• Love 2

I like that the interviews are with a range of people, some of whom I don't know anything about and who aren't appearing everywhere else to trot out the same thing I already heard them say. He draws from a really wide range of issues and topics when choosing them, so you really don't know what to expect. Sports, art, literature, politics, activism, entertainment.... I know the show doesn't have the same popularity and influence it had during the Stewart years, but it's really been developing a distinctive voice and I like it.

• Love 10

He talks about American football sometimes, too, and I wonder if he's gotten into it since he's been here or if it's just for the show. We know he's a soccer fan.

Not in a million years. American football is perceived as boring and stupid by most of the world. (And rightly so, imo)

I agree that Trevor has interesting guests, esp compared to Stewart. He's also a better interviewer, and I don't understand why he's not getting the attention and accolades he deserves.

• Love 4

I agree that he's a better interviewer. Maybe that comes from the motivation of the host. At the height of TDS under Stewart, maybe he felt he needed to have certain people on, and just wasn't equipped to handle them. There's certainly a clear difference since Trevor took over, so maybe he feels he needed to go in a different direction.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, ganesh said:

I agree that he's a better interviewer. Maybe that comes from the motivation of the host. At the height of TDS under Stewart, maybe he felt he needed to have certain people on, and just wasn't equipped to handle them. There's certainly a clear difference since Trevor took over, so maybe he feels he needed to go in a different direction.

I think Jon Stewart was a great interviewer, but Trevor Noah is exceptional. Maybe the best in late night right now. He is able to approach the interview as a conversation and take an interest in the guest as a person rather than seeing the interview as primarily about their current project or their ideas. And he is willing to listen even when he disagrees or when he might have a great quip in response or when it's not necessarily going in the direction that the publicists or his own producers might want. Which is probably the hardest thing for a host to master on a consistent basis. Even great hosts. I think Jon Stewart is equipped to handle just about everyone and probably made me think more, but Trevor makes me feel like I am getting to know the guest at a personal level rather than as an artist or someone advocating for a viewpoint.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Miss Dee said:

Different environment. The TV landscape is a lot more fractured, and the late night options are probably better and more numerous than they've been in ages.

3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

I think Trevor is also hurt by having multiple TDS alums out there with their own show.  Colbert, Bee, and Oliver being around makes TDS seem less unique than it was when Jon really hit his stride.

Yep, not only are their more choices out there, but there are more shows doing topical material. Jon Stewart is probably the dominant influence on the new generation of late night hosts (not just TDS, but folks like Seth Meyers) and even the veterans who are more influenced by David Letterman (like Jon was) seem to be pushed by the times and the ratings to do more pointed topical material and take sides. I think there are other factors like CC's digital strategy (I've mentioned before that you don't see TDS on YouTube's trending list as much as the other shows because they want to push traffic to their own site) and the fact that the kind of interviewing Trevor does isn't flashy and is often ignored by the critics. Just ask Craig Ferguson.

• Love 3

I always laugh when people trot out the "I don't want politics in my sports/music." Then, as Trevor correctly pointed out, you won't be listening to or watching anything. What Haley meant is that she doesn't want politics in music unless she agrees with it. I'm not seeing how reading a book as part of a skit is political anyway. The passages they read were about food. 

Trump's incoherent babbling about climate change is more terrifying than it is funny. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 4

Babbling is right. I admit I do find it funny -- I loved Trevor's mocking of it by saying DT sounded like a 5-yr old -- but it's also distressing that such an ignorant man is leading the nation.

I liked the chyron Halt or Get Fired.

The Sean Hannity segment… 40 minutes later was perfect.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It would have been even more perfect if TDS had inserted, between the Hannity shit bits, one of those SpongeBob SquarePants style show placards with the words "40 SECONDS LATER" with someone saying it in that mock Jacques Cousteau accent that show uses.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Babbling is right. I admit I do find it funny -- I loved Trevor's mocking of it by saying DT sounded like a 5-yr old -- but it's also distressing that such an ignorant man is leading the nation.

I liked the chyron Halt or Get Fired.

That's why Trump is the do as I say, not as I do individual. Everything he says has to be taken with a grain of salt. 

I enjoyed last night's show. I did not watch the SOTU. I can't stomach listening to DT. He gives me the DTs. Anyway, the show was great. I am flabbergasted -- will I never not be? -- when DT did that DJ/CJ bit. *shakes head*

The interview was very good. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

That's why Trump is the do as I say, not as I do individual.

I had a coach who used to say that. It always strikes me as bad leadership. Of course, no way Trump wants to lead on anything because he'd be on the hook for the blame. 

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I am flabbergasted -- will I never not be? -- when DT did that DJ/CJ bit.

I watched it live. I had no idea what was going on. Just from the clips they showed on the show, let alone the whole speech, Trump is the worst public speaker. It's not his voice either; accents are accents. It's like a kid who is just learning to read who doesn't know all the punctuation marks. 

The New Yorker guy gave the best analysis of the night for me because it wasn't just trashing or praising or making fun of Trump. Much of what he said, me and other viewers said the same in comments during the speech.

The Boko Haram joke might have been the best joke ever. Definitely worthy of the jar. Twice. 

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:22 PM, Shermie said:

So any thoughts on why he's not getting the press or accolades he deserves?

I love Trevor. I think he is KILLING it right now. I haven't seen last night's show yet, but Monday night? He was on FIRE!!!

• Love 2

I don't think the guest really explained herself well when saying that there should be a democratic black party like there's a gop tea party. The tea party was basically obstructionist for 8 years and now that they are in power, are completely incompetent in governing. Besides, there's already a congressional black caucus. 

• Love 1

I didn't really listen to the guest. There was something about her that put me off.

I liked Trevor's  bit about the clapping butler.

This is perfect: "Just because Trump says God in the middle of his sentence doesn't mean that sentence is now endorsed by God."

Roy Wood clapping was so funny. 

• Love 3

Trevor doing Trump obstructing justice was great. Heck, any time Trevor impersonates Trump is great.

Carter Page's hat is easy to mock. Still, I liked the joke that he stole it from Paddington Bear.

"Memos are like farts – anyone can release them."

I liked CP Time with Roy Wood Jr.

I hope Rose McGowan is a better writer than a speaker because she was incoherent. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I hope Rose McGowan is a better writer than a speaker because she was incoherent. 

Oh good. I felt awful because she was a terrible speaker, and I was wondering if all the horrible things she's been through just destroyed her mind. I don't necessarily thinks she's hates men, but her recent press would suggest otherwise. I was hoping Trevor would ask about that. 

"CP time" always kills me. I wasn't expecting Roy to drop the 'when this n-word gonna die?' but it was hilarious. I'm surprised he didn't mention anything about Get Out because the main character also lived *and* his friend came to the rescue too. 

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

"CP time" always kills me. I wasn't expecting Roy to drop the 'when this n-word gonna die?' but it was hilarious. I'm surprised he didn't mention anything about Get Out because the main character also lived *and* his friend came to the rescue too. 

Honest Trailers covered that, as well as the "If the black person doesn't die, he speculates on when he's gonna die" thing. Roy has been on fire lately as well.

ETA: Heard about the Lord resigning for tardiness. That has to be brought up by John Oliver when he comes back, right?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 3

I assumed that he was referring to the memo that he didn't read and wouldn't understand even if he had read it,  and that doesn't reveal anything that we haven't already known for a long time, and doesn't have anything to do with whether he or his minions colluded with Russia to disrupt our elections.   Somehow, I don't feel nearly as "got" as the current occupant of the White House thinks I should feel, but that's just me.

Yuck! I didn't need to keep seeing the idiot Eagles fan with horseshit in his mouth. A Tide pod would have done wonders at that point. And I just assume that really wasn't a tray of shit Trevor was serving. Perhaps Trevor wasn't fully aware of North America's long standing traditions of some cities' people tearing up their streets after a team of theirs wins a championship - or in Vancouver's case, when they lose.

Of course we don't get Drumph and the right claiming victory over the release of the Nunes memo. It wasn't meant for rational thinking people. It was meant to comfort and stir up support of the 35% of people who think Drumph's doing a bang up job as president, and who will most definitely get out and vote in November's midterms because those treasonous America hatin' liberals want to take away what they think is theirs. That's why you have Lumpy Hannity spewing out his daily horseshit on behalf of Drumph.

I miss J. Willy. She's lookin' real good.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

Perhaps Trevor wasn't fully aware of North America's long standing traditions of some cities' people tearing up their streets after a team of theirs wins a championship - or in Vancouver's case, when they lose.

Yeah. I remember about...almost 16 years ago, I think, when UMD won the Basketball Championship, and fans decided to celebrate the victory by destroying property and setting them on fire. Guess they were happy. I think it's a sports thing.

@Victor the Crab . . .that reminds me: did folks in Toronto behave after Toronto FC won the MLS Cup? Totally thought of you when that happened.

I wouldn't blame Trevor for being bemused over the concept of the championship-spawned riot. He's from apartheid-era South Africa, meaning that there wasn't happiness motivating the shit he saw on a regular basis.

I saw 2 Dope Queens on HBO. I'm probably not in the demographic, but it's good to see Jessica succeed post-TDS.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

@Victor the Crab . . .that reminds me: did folks in Toronto behave after Toronto FC won the MLS Cup? Totally thought of you when that happened.

Thanks @Lantern7, And yes indeed, the folks were well behaved. I should know this because I WAS THERE! Inside BMO Field, watching and cheering the Reds, in the supporters section, on to their first MLS Cup to cap off the greatest season in Major League Soccer history! :D

The entire partying area in the city took place in the confines of Liberty Village, where there are plenty of bars/restaurants in the area that are also the HQ of the various supporters groups, as well as a sectioned off fan zone where fans could watch the match on a giant wide screen. After the match, the area was in a fun celebratory mood with lots of whooping and hollering, huggings and high fives - none of the hooliganism that took place in Philadelphia this past Sunday. The only damage we supporters instigated were to our own livers from all the celebratory drinking we did post match at our respective watering holes (I was introduced to the deliciousness of Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey by the former mayor of Toronto, David Miller). When I got back to my hotel, the downtown area was just another Saturday night. Everyone was going off on their own business, as if they didn't know one of their teams just won a huge championship.

Interestingly, I was living in Toronto in the early 90s when the Blue Jays won back to back World Series. After the Jays won both series, all the streets of downtown - north and south, east and west - were clogged with revellers running down the streets yelling and screaming in joy and giving high fives everywhere. No reports of damage occurred, no arrests were made. The millions that were celebrating were also well behaved, unlike Philadelphia and elsewhere. Of course one only wonders what would happen if the Maple Leafs were to end their 50 years plus Stanley Cup drought. Especially if it happened on a warm June weekend.

• Love 1

Guys, I get so angry whenever I see that fuckhead Hannity on my TV screen that I want to hurt somebody. HOW can he say those things with a straight face? Not only a straight face, but with absolute conviction and certainty.

No one, not even Drumpf, not even Bill O'Reilly, hell, not even Alex Jones, makes me as angry as that loathsome overtanned shitstain. And I don't even live in the USA.

Even though it means I will see Hannity's smug face, I hope Trevor and his writers keep doing bits that expose what a disgusting hypocritical excuse for a human being he is. I want them to BURY him with sharp, clever satire that digs the knife in and turns it, slowly and painfully, until he gets in the bin and stays there.

Edited by purist
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, purist said:

Guys, I get so angry whenever I see that fuckhead Hannity on my TV screen that I want to hurt somebody. HOW can he say those things with a straight face? Not only a straight face, but with absolute conviction and certainty.

No one, not even Drumpf, not even Bill O'Reilly, hell, not even Alex Jones, makes me as angry as that loathsome overtanned shitstain. And I don't even live in the USA.

Even though it means I will see Hannity's smug face, I hope Trevor and his writers keep doing bits that expose what a disgusting hypocritical excuse for a human being he is. I want them to BURY him with sharp, clever satire that digs the knife in and turns it, slowly and painfully, until he gets in the bin and stays there.

Totally agree, but, none of Hannity's fans will ever watch Trevor's artful exposes, so they are to be enjoyed/endured by us, who already have our opinions of him.

Trump "joking" is what bullies do. They insult you or worse then say, "I was only kidding."

I'm really enjoying Hasan's stuff. Although this time he stumbled a bit on a couple of words, he's very entertaining with the rapid-fire spiel. 

• Love 1

I'm glad they showed the clip of Sanders at the press conference. When I first saw it, I said, "I bet she says he's joking." Sure enough. I like that they showed all the clips of Trump "joking." 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, purist said:

Jon spent years exposing the hypocrisy and bullshit Lumpy Hannity spewed out of his shithole. None more memorable perhaps than his guest appearance on LSSC a couple of years ago. But Lumpy gets away with it because the Murdochs and Fox News give him the greenlight to do so in order to successfully push the right's agenda to an ill informed audience. And, as @lookeyloo pointed out, his fanbase won't bother or care to know Lumpy is disingenuous and lying to them. But it is comforting to know Trevor is stepping up his attacks on Lumpy, and on Fox News as they have proven to be very influential on Drumph's stupid agenda to wreck havoc on America.

• Love 4

Man, why couldn't that clip be more than Moment of Zen?

Not directly related to current events: is it weird to have the three guys who thwarted a terrorist attack play themselves in the movie? And having Clint Eastwood direct you has to be extra intimidating. At least Trevor got to ask them about that.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Jon spent years exposing the hypocrisy and bullshit Lumpy Hannity spewed out of his shithole.

I don't recall being so affected by Hanniturd when Jon did stories on him. Somehow I'm angrier when I see him now. Hm, I wonder why that could be ...

• Love 1

Is Roy Wood Jr's 'CP Time' a parody of something? I feel as if I'm missing something, probably because I'm not American.

Also, who is the CNN woman who took down that Nazi so beautifully?

Edited by purist
  • Love 1
On 2/12/2018 at 11:09 AM, ganesh said:

Don't shoot the messenger, and I know this is awful, but CP time means "colored people time". It's a bad joke where black people are always 40 minutes late to everything. 

There is some truth to it...lol.  I've worked with people from all over the world and there is always X time.  The students from Central Asia had Central Asian time, the African students had African time, etc.   At orientations, we would always have to tell them that if they made an appointment with their professor/anyone that they should be on time since that is expected in the U.S.

I'm from the Caribbean, and there is definitely island time.  I literally give my family a two hours earlier time whenever I invite them over for anything.  

• Love 2

Years ago I read an article on etiquette for people visiting Europe. It advised that if you're invited to a party in Germany, and it's supposed to start at eight o'clock, you show up at eight, it's considered rude to show up late.  In Spain on the other hand, showing up at eight would be considered rude, you're supposed to show up at  8:30 at the earliest.   

• Love 2

New episodes start tomorrow. Tonight: "highlights" of the president, with Desi's slam piece on Fox News fawning thrown in. Nice bumper stuff of more beloved presidents doing stuff followed by the current one not doing a good job.

• Love 1