Type keyword(s) to search

Helix - General Discussion

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

This show is so weird! And the music is crazy! I can't help it, though. I still like it. I really hope that by the time it's over, it all makes sense...unlike Lost.

I knew Peter was still a baddie! I also still think the Julia/Hatake stuff is some kind of hallucination. The fight was awesome! Looks like Julia learned some skills after all, though she did get some help from her dead mother.

Why do y'all think Hatake is dead? He was just hit in the stomach, but he can heal from that...right? Same with Julia and Sarah's baby. They're all immortals, and isn't the only way to kill them to cut off their heads?

Wasn't Bellesaros always an Ilaria plant?

Nanda: I thought Julia was referring to the people at Arctic Biosystems, but maybe there's something else.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1
This show is so weird! And the music is crazy! I can't help it, though. I still like it. I really hope that by the time it's over, it all makes sense...unlike Lost.

That dream scene with Hataki and Daniel going down to the fishing hole set to the Andy Griffith show theme song made me laugh.  It kind of reinforced the point that everything Julia was experiencing was a dream.

I also still think the Julia/Hatake stuff is some kind of hallucination. The fight was awesome! Looks like Julia learned some skills after all, though she did get some help from her dead mother.

Glad that Belleseros is back, and really not surprised that he's evil -- was he standing in the same Ilaria building that Alan blew up and killed so many people ?

He's back! Balleseros has finally returned!

Hrumph. Not so much. I was just going to read recaps rather than watch until I read this.

But I did at least LOL during the Andy Griffith Show theme music scene when Daniel actually picked up a stone and threw it out over the water--even if he couldn't make it skip.

Edited by shapeshifter

madam magpie, 

Yes, Balleseros has been working for Ilaria all along. That was made clear in the first episodes of S1.

Maybe Julia was referring to the people at Arctic Biosystems who died or maybe she was referring to those  immortals that died in Paris after the bombing or even to those skulls who CDC stumbled  upon right after they have put their foot on the island. Maybe that was in insane Hatake's territory who killed anyone he perceived has being after him and his 'family', which I doubt bc if he was in an Island upon on Ilaria had interests, he might as well be there with their semi knowledge.

In respect to those scientists who died at Arctic Biosystems, he tried to save them until he couldn't anymore.  Besides that,  when Constance Sutton was insulting and criticize him for not being capable of killing humans as should any  immortal worthy of the name, she said that it was secretly spoken  among their  ranks that he nurtured sympathy for humans which was considered outrageous. What Constance Sutton didn't know is that in fact he loved the humans, he had married one and had a human daughter and was deeply compassionate towards humanity. Albeit he made some huge mistakes over the years, like abducting the ice children, he was trying to figure out a cure for all types of cancer with a knife towards his neck. He was being blackmailed by Ilaria to make a virus to shorten the 'flock' but instead he was frantically working in something that could save more, against his patrons and masters. He was really a sad character and I could empathize with him.

Now, I can see a man who saw his son explode in front of his eyes, a loved wife that was held captive for decades to assure his brilliant mind was at their service being sliced in front of him, and then his daughter turning on him, ending working for his tormentors, daughter that he had abdicated when she was little to protect her so she could escape their control...I can see him going insane and explode Ilaria headquarters in Paris  with or without Alan's help.  He has it in him and he knew how to handle explosives, remember? 

Besides that, their tone toward each other when they met last episode wasn't as friendly as when they part ways in the Artic. In fact, at the end of S1 she was the one who reached to him to comfort him bc of  Daniel's death. I suspect  they had met before the scene in the woods last week  but  after the Artic's great explosion. There's something in the middle that wasn't yet explained.

As far as the only way to kill them to cut off their heads, I'm not sure. Didn't we see Alan shooting one or two in ep 2? I was under the same assumption but after that I'm not sure anymore. Maybe the heads in the Artic were for some other purpose OR maybe we didn't see Alan cut their heads off later as he did with the immortal woman  who gave him information about St. Germain and Ilaria activities there. Well...much to be explained

That dream scene with Hataki and Daniel going down to the fishing hole set to the Andy Griffith show theme song made me laugh.  It kind of reinforced the point that everything Julia was experiencing was a dream.

...or that the scene was from Hatake's delusional point of view.

Edited by Nanda
  • Love 1

I don't believe for a second that Hatake or Julia are dead, but even if they were, that obviously doesn't mean that we won't be seeing them for the rest of the season. They're still alive for the next thirty years, so if they're out for a while in the future, they can just join the rest of the cast in the past.

That was Ballesteros? I didn't even recognize him.

• Love 1

I don't believe for a second that Hatake or Julia are dead, but even if they were, that obviously doesn't mean that we won't be seeing them for the rest of the season.

It's possible and I hope you're right  but Hiroyuki Sanada is guest starring not a recurrent. So I'm inclined for the good bye.

Looks like Sarah's baby problems might be done with.  Ouch!

I gotta give them credit. This was the most original wrap up to a pregnancy that I have seen. Kind of nutty, but original nonetheless.

I wouldn't be 100% that Hatake is dead. I wasn't a fan of him last season, but I loved crazy Hatake this season.

Hatake!  I loved in the end when she gets wheeling to the dinner table of insanity she just looks at both bodies.  Looks straight ahead, pauses and is like "ummm..NOPE! And screams.  The pause is what made it for me.

I don't understand how Hatake is dead from that.  I thought they were like Highlander lite. Destroying the brain or beheading was the only way for them to die.  Didn't that one immortal from last season survive starvation for years?  Oh look at me.  Trying to make sense of this show.  Sorry, I was being silly.  Either way I hope they leave it open.

I gotta give them credit. This was the most original wrap up to a pregnancy that I have seen. Kind of nutty, but original nonetheless.

Is it wrapped up? IS IT?  Maybe the fetus is immortal. Will forever be a fetus.  I wish I hadn't of thought of that.  Even as a joke because it just reminded me of that playable trailer P.T.

• Love 2

..... I have no clue what to make of Peter. Did the writers forget he was so committed to evil Ilaria that he allowed himself to be turned into a zombie? Or did they hope the viewers would forget? Sarah, she waited until now to tell Alan he was the father of her immortal baby? She found out she was pregnant way back when the team was still in the Arctic....

Yeah, Peter's role is a conundrum. I mean he killed people when he was a zombie. Did he forget that? Why is Allan suddenly the only bad guy?

I don't understand how Hatake is dead from that.  I thought they were like Highlander lite. Destroying the brain or beheading was the only way for them to die.  Didn't that one immortal from last season survive starvation for years?  Oh look at me.  Trying to make sense of this show.  Sorry, I was being silly.  Either way I hope they leave it open.

Is it wrapped up? IS IT?  Maybe the fetus is immortal. Will forever be a fetus.  I wish I hadn't of thought of that.  Even as a joke because it just reminded me of that playable trailer P.T.

I think the fetus is dead because of the same reason that Hatake MIGHT die from his injury: because they are immortal and can live forever if nothing happens to them, but a catastrophic injury could kill them if it doesn't give them enough time to heal themselves. In the case of the baby, tiny tiny few days old at most, that knife would've destroyed it completely, no?  Now, how I reached this conclusion about the rules of immortality I don't remember because my memory sucks, but that's what I understood from last season.

But I think the baby was probably supposed to be immortal and she was gonna be pregnant forever, which is why she just happened to be stabbed in the gut so they could write it out.

I don't understand how Hatake is dead from that.  I thought they were like Highlander lite. Destroying the brain or beheading was the only way for them to die.  Didn't that one immortal from last season survive starvation for years?Didn't that one immortal from last season survive starvation for years?

I assumed at the time that Hatake held that one immortal from last season captive for having betrayed Jane, his wife, to Ilaria. It was because of him that Hiroshi had lost everything and was in Ilaria's hands. It  was Hatake who feed him and held him in those conditions assuring he still was alive and suffering like Jane and in different ways like himself, for pure vengeance.

I was thinking that in this week ep Julia was so desperate to break away from her father bc she knew that immortals don´t die only if their heads are cut off. Hence why she said that she wouldn't recover from what he was about to do, whatever it was, when she was on the table. I agree with the above poster who said that they're immortals under the assumption that no catastrophic injury happens to them. In that case they need medical attention and could die of it in the event of not have that to their disposal has Hatake did. Julia I'm not so sure yet. I don't think so. And as far Sara, I'm suspecting she will die from the infection , she's so careless handling her  samples of the fungus. She thinks that nothing can strike her, but we know now that immortals also can die from it.

I wondered if anyone has speculation (without spoilers) about that samurai sword. The Japanese writing on it was simply a date: 2015/08/15 or August 15th, 2015.  When Julia asks him what it means, he simply says, "Densho".  (Densho is a Japanese term meaning "to pass on to the next generation," or to leave a legacy.  Thanks, Google.)  I forget whether we know what the current month is within the show's timeline, or what this might foreshadow.

I found a helpful screen capture of the sword:

http://interdimensional-dave.blogspot.com/2015/02/helix-densho.html

Edited by KDeFlane

Episode Synopsis:

Michael locks Peter and Alan in a pit. Alan escapes and discovers that Kyle has a secret of his own. Agnes reveals a shocking truth to Michael, who drastically turns on her for doubting him. In the future, Caleb uncovers Walker's deception and takes matters into his own hands.

Although i always knew that Ballerseros was working for Illyria, I felt that maybe he grew a heart and was gonna work against them. Maybe not. I kinda dissapointed that Hitake went all crazy on us. I was hoping that he had a connection to the cult leaders on the island. So is there any reason that Alan is working for Illyria when he knows that they were responsible for all the crap that went down on the artic base?

Twist!  Matt Long isn't a mere scientist, but apparently works for some secret agency, who just happened to have science background, so he's went undercover with the group, in order to find out about Alan.  Now, he has Alan handcuffed to a post in the lab.  Should be fun!

And, fitting, since Alan kindly left Peter in the pit, after pretending to "talk it over", and then having him boost him out.  Classic Alan! Of course, it's not like Peter was innocent at all, so it's hard to get too upset.  Dickishness runs in the family.

Looks like both Sarah and the baby are still fine.  Older lady find out Sarah is an immortal, tells Steven Weber who (twist!), is also an immortal, and he kindly thanks her, by snapping her neck. Steven Weber: making Hatake almost look like a nice guy.

Good new, bad news, for Julia.  Good new is she saved by this Caleb guy.  Bad news is he took off with her sword.  Poor Julia.  Nothing ever seems to work out for her.

Matt Long almost gets offed again by crazy honey lovers, but is able to take most of them out.  They quarantine most of it, but Landry makes sure the younger cult lady gets a jar.  At least Landry gets another handjob.  Yay?

• Love 4

Sarah seems to have lost a LOT of blood.  I wouldn't leave her alone with anyone from the cult.  At least Peter or Kyle shoud supervise.

And Dr. Sommer is a spy for the FBI.  That seems kind of convenient, and a big stretch that he would even encounter Alan Farragut in his travels.

And Julia awakes to the sounds of crows -- don't crows have the ability to bring a soul back from the dead, so they can seek their vengeance.  But she's still alive and found by Caleb -- how he found her, no one knows ?  And he takes her to a cave to stitch her up -- why wouldn't he take her back to the cabin ? It's a tad more hygienic and dry in the cabin.

Peter comes clean to Michael about Brother Jerome/Alan -- while Michael says peoples pasts don't matter, within horus of hearing this info Michael has Alan tossed into 'The Pit' (something one of the children mentioned in a previous episode).  Alan and Peter spend some quality time bonding in 'The Pit' -- and by quality time, I meaning hashing out old issues and beating the crap out of each other.  As brothers are wont to do.

And during a discussion of the outbreak, Sister Anne paraphrases Ian Malcolm from 'Jurassic Park' -- Nature finds a way.  Will raptors being showing up on the island shortly ?   This means that the ruling cult members are completely aware of the source of the virus.  What's the reason they are creating it ?  And Michael says he controls what grows on the island -- he really is a poor man's John Hammond thinking he can control nature.  Brother Michael decides to pretend to kill Sister Anne for her ineptitude regarding the pollen problem. And then follows that up by insulting her about her age.  Brother Michael really can be a bastard when he wants to.

And no more handies for Landry from Sister Amy.  Because Sister Amy upgraded him to blowies.

Per the cult doctor, Sarah didn't lose the baby.  Let the morning sickness return.

I did like the 70s music during the chase scene through the applie orchard.

According to Peter, family trumps all.  Except Alan knows that Peter is working for Ilaria, so screw family connections.

Kyle is smartening up -- I wouldn't trust Sister Amy putting anything on me.  She's just pissed at Kyle because he knows exactly what her game is And the cult doctor, Sister Agnes, suspects and then discovers that Sarah is an immortal (a silver eye, as Sister Agnes calls her) -- and doesn't seem to be happy about it.  Because they probably think that Brother Michael is divine since he probably has silver eyes -- and is no longer unique.

That sequence back to the past when Julia wakes up and discovers that her sword is gone in the cave, you can clearly see that a naval vessel, that resembled the Coast Guard vessel that dropped them, off sank close to the shore of the island and turned turtle.  I wonder if it's the Manitou that dropped them off.

And Sister Agnes will finally get her picture on the wall.  And it turns out Agnes is Brother Michael's daughter.  Are all the people in the cult Brother Michael's offspring ?  Because Brother Michael has been working on his botany project for 500 years, and that's a lot of time to knock boots.

Sidenote: We still gon't know what that goop was that they were force feeding down people's throats.  It certainly wasn't honey.

Interesting sidenote:  Has anyone else noticed that the seas levels haven't risen in the future ?  I guess the polar ice caps don't melt as much as predicted in the Helix universe future.

ETA: 

Is Caleb the creepy immortal kid from last year?

I don't think so -- according to Hatake last season, I believe he said that people stay the age they are when they become immortal.

And the kid from last year, The Scythe, would still look ridiculously young 30 years later, so it's probably not him.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

I have a thing about feet.  As in they are one of my least favorite appendages on the body.  I really don't like other people's feet touching me.  So if I was stuck in the pit with someone who had to climb on me with their dirty bare feet I just might be like "No, this is a nice pit.  We should stay here."  The whole time I kept thinking "They're so close to his face!  HIS FACE!"

I don't understand why Julia thinks Hatake is dead.  Or why the show is trying to convince us that Hatake is dead.  Sarah was just gutted in the stomach and she's making a "remarkable" recovery and unfortunately her embryo is still among us.  Hatake was stuck with an axe in the stomach but managed to make his way back home.  Is medical attention required to make these amazing Immortal recoveries? Also, this is like the worst unwanted (by me) pregnancy storyline ever because it will literally go on FOREVER.

There's a part of me that's worried Caleb is the Sarah/Alan love child.  I know she's supposed to be pregnant forever but with this show I wouldn't put it past them.  I bet she's also going to sleep with him and then she'll have the family trifecta!  Can we find out more about Paris/Present Day Julia?  We're almost halfway through the season.

RIP Agnes :( With her gone I think all hope is gone for that cult. Sister Anne seems semi-decent but she's just too weak & Michael has her wrapped.

& I think Michael is definitely going to give Hatake a run for the throne of Daddy Dearest this season. I don't think Hatake is dead either, Hatake will live forever (in my heart if nowhere else).

Happy Julia made a recovery. Getting more and more interested in who this Caleb person is.

No Balleseros? Not a big fan either way but I just thought he would be in from now on.

Dr Sommer is growing on me. Might be all the cool scenes he gets. Assaulted by stoney, dopey kids. Attacked by homicidal crazies while running around an orchard looking like an astronaut to the funkiest music. Yeah he's kinda cool. Turning out to be just as untrusthworthy as the rest of them might be helping too.

Not a big fan of slutshamming but there's just no other name for sister Amy. She might just turn out to be the worst villian on the island, and I would not be surprised if she's the last one standing. But if I could chose she'll be the next one voted off the island (ie dead, die, gone, sayonara, not so nice knowing you)

• Love 1

...Older lady find out Sarah is an immortal, tells Steven Weber who (twist!), is also an immortal, and he kindly thanks her, by snapping her neck....

"Twist" indeed! It was refreshing to see an older woman playing an older woman who wasn't weirdly botoxed and facelifted to look half her age.

So was that pollen that Agnes put on Sarah infected with the immortal-killing disease? If so, will we see psycho-Sarah? Maybe that would cause the baby to begin to mature at a normal rate.

...No Balleseros? Not a big fan either way but I just thought he would be in from now on.

Dr Sommer is growing on me. Might be all the cool scenes he gets. Assaulted by stoney, dopey kids. Attacked by homicidal crazies while running around an orchard looking like an astronaut to the funkiest music. Yeah he's kinda cool. Turning out to be just as untrusthworthy as the rest of them might be helping too....

Yes, they seem to have replaced Mark Ghanimé's Balleseros with the equally attractive (even if bland) Matt Long's Dr. Kyle Sommer.

I did like the 70s music during the chase scene through the applie orchard

Now imagine it set to Yakety Sax ...

Other PTB on scifi projects: When the plot gets so overly dramatically dark that it's silly, trot out the most weirdly upbeat pop music you can. Go with the campiness! I bet this could have saved the short-lived Cult (if it was a little less stabby).

I'm probably overthinking this, but is there some thematic connection between this episode and (according to IMDb) the only other TV episode ever named exactly "Oubliette" (3.8 of the X-Files) other than the meaning of the word (to forget)?

Edited by shapeshifter

The show totally baffles me. I have no idea what's going on

Same! But it is that feeling of "what is doing on?! I don't understand anything! Okay I'm gonna watch one more episode to see if I figure it out then" which keeps me going back, so I guess it's a sort of successful approach to writing this show.

So Sarah is still pregnant? Color me surprised! I really thought it was done for. Maybe Michael can help her figure out how to get that baby to term. Sad to see older lady go. Michael obviously didn't count on her babbling to Amy.

Peter and Alan are so annoying. Separately and together. They should magically cancel each other out and just disappear.

Julia's plot feels like the companion webseries to the show or something. It feels weird.

Does anyone know of a place where they upload the promos? This week I can't find next week's episode promo, again.

ETA: Never mind I just found it.

• Love 3

I think this show is bonkers bananas, it's like an acid trip without all the pretty kaleidoscope flowers, it's like a fever dream while hung over, it's like a 5 year old explaining what cats think about, all of that soaked in thc infused whiskey.

I think I kind of love it.

• Love 3

I started binge watching season 1 over the weekend and am almost done.  I just have 2 episodes left.  I am mostly enjoying it (or I wouldn't keep watching, of course) but I do have some questions and/or noticed issues that are bugging me.  

Vectors - I thought this was only supposed to be a small proportion of all infected, but it now seems like everyone that gets infected becomes a Vector.  Or are they just focusing on the vectors?  What happened to the "normal" infected?  And why are infected and vectors both afraid of the Immortals?  And stupid nitpick, why don't the infected ever wipe their faces?  They seem to have consciousness and intelligence yet they leave that stuff on their chins.  

So, if I'm understanding this right, the plan was to make a virus and an antidote so the immortals could rule the world.  That's what Sutton said.  If so, I assume they were going to infect the world, then miraculously "find" the cure, saving a small portion of humanity that is still left and then ruling over them.   And then they want to limit the immortals to 500?  or something like that, but Hitake made his daughter immortal, or was she born immortal and it just wasn't apparent until her first rebirth?

I hope to finish season 1 this week, but then I still need to get caught up on season 2.  Hopefully by next week.

Oh, man, aquarian, this is not a show one can nitpick. It just doesn't make sense. Just go with the flow.

I will say, though, that they don't want to limit the immortals to 500, they ARE 500 already.They have not explained yet how they became immortal, but they seem like a set number. Julia wasn't immortal, Hatake made her when he injected that liquid into her. His spinal fluid I think it was, or something like that.

• Love 1

Episode Synopsis:

On the heels of Agnes' death, Amy creates an outbreak of the disease, while Michael torments Peter in the pit. Alan, Jordan and Kyle discover the truth about the Abbey's tainted food chain but Alan is drugged and attacks Jordan. An uprising at the Abbey threatens the safety of the uninfected. In present-day Paris, Walker summons Balleseros and is guided to meet an unlikely immortal who may hold the key to her mission.

I just finished binge watching season 1. I started watching last season, but had too many shows going and stalled out. That was...interesting. I wanted to start season 2 with a background in season 1 (I tried starting s2 without s1, but had no idea what they were referring to.)

I feel there are so many questions left. It'll be interesting to see if they're addressed in season 2, or if it's more of a clean-slate mystery.

LOL moment: When Julia's mother said she thought Hiroshi would change. After 500 years? Honey, you can't ever change a man, and certainly not a 485-year-old.

So Alan tortures some guy to find Julia, and the guy scoffs that neither the military nor the FBI nor Fox Mulder believe him when tells them about Ilaria, and yet there's a skyscraper in France with 12-foot-high letters declaring this is where Ilaria lives.

LOL about changing a man. I figured the guy meant that no one believed Ilaria was up to no good, not that it didn't exist. Like when nutters in the 1980s said Proctor & Gamble's logo was Satanic.

But it's hard to swallow, because Alan was a CDC doctor sent by the CDC to work on a specific outbreak. I noticed how the CDC connection just evaporated. The CDC was brought in (I was never clear on why Ilaria or Hitake did so since everyone is so secretive, unless it was just Hitake's way to see his daughter -- but did he specifically request her? I thought he was unhappy she was there.) But by the end, no one ever mentioned the CDC, or reported to them, or told the CDC what had happened there. Because that would really help with that "no one believes this" about Ilaria problem.

I figured the heads in the snow were a way of preserving their brains so they could later be reanimated in computer bodies or cloned bodies or some such. God knows with these people. Too bad Seven of Nine's brains defrosted -- I'd love to see her return.

Biggest questions that annoyed me are what is up with Peter, and no one finding out about his duplicity, and what is up with Julia, and why is she now heading Ilaria. Maybe the latter is a sparkly gray-eye thing, and she's bonded with the other immortals.

One last point: Who designed that base? What a waste of heated air in a sub-zero climate! That vast central zone with nothing in it made absolutely zero sense. I might believe it if there was a nuclear reactor in the center that powered the base, that people had to keep a certain safe distance from, but nothing was ever said about that. Just a bunch of wasted square footage if you ask me.

One further last comment: Sarah was my least favorite character. Pretty bland. Her rapid-fire mumble-mouth delivery was tough to listen to. I don't think she's a particularly good actress, and she's not pretty enough to compensate for that.

Edited by Andromeda

What the heck was that opening scene?  Just no.

I've never seen a show reinvent into the second season and change so much.  It's basically like a new show with some of the characters from season 1, but not even that good.

The first season was okay, I would give it a "6" out of 10.  The spooky station in the frigid outpost was a good location.  The black gooed  people were also good.  Hiroshi was a good character, and the threat of world infection was also good.

But, now the spooky station is gone.  There's an island that isn't interesting.  With a cult, that isn't interesting.  Alan acts weird and is hiding out in the cult.  Peter is no longer a goo creature and acts in charge and bossy.   Hiroshi is there with his daughter 30 years into the future.  I don't get it. 

There is nothing compelling going on.  I might try another ep, but I don't see how this show makes it to season 3.

There were 18 pictures/paintings of Sarah's ancestors on the wall of Michael's office -- that means that cult has been there on that island for over 360 years (assuming an average of 20 years between per generation).  So does that make Brother Michael a Johnny-come-lately or is he an immortal like the Ilaria folks -- and that's why Alan is there ?

It  made me think that family line has known about the immortals for a long, long time and that their work is in trying to wipe them out.  Although I don't know about the Stephen Weber character, how that ties in.  Maybe he is an immortal, planted there looking like he's helping but really not.  I'm thinking the Illaria people still want to take over the world, so another viral outbreak would fit the bill, but they won't realize this one will affect them too.

The tooth pulling and force feeding thing confused me.  Is that how they are infecting people?  But maybe they are trying to do something else and that's a side effect?  And of course there was the tree of life box and root.  So maybe he's trying to create more immortals?  I guess we'll find out as the series continues.  I'm already watching ep 3, hope to get all caught up over the weekend.

I've been thinking he's their grown up child since I first saw him.  At first I wondered if Agnes removed the baby during surgery, after she shooed the men out, and implanted in someone/something else.  But it's probably more likely she reversed or at least impacted the immortality in Sarah and the baby will grow now.   My other really wild theory was that Caleb was somehow Alan who managed to de-age or clone himself.  And despite all this I still love this show. 

OK, so the company is thinning the herds, for the betterment of the herd, of course. I don't see the forums from last season so I can't find this: What was the theory they mentioned several times last year? It had to do over population of plants in proportion to area...or something like that. And we have another rouge immortal.

Damn, Julia and Balleseros are not only working together in Allura, but are apparently in a relationship.  I guess surviving the events from S1 would be a good bonding experience.  Too bad Julia still keeps thinking about Alan during sexy times.  Come on, Julia.  I have to think Balleseros is an upgrade from both Farragut brothers.  It was good for them to finally show what the hell is going on: the virus was because the immortals wanted to wipe out the humans, but I guess it ended up effecting them as well.  And, it looks like Julia never wanted that to happen, so she's going to be fighting it.  I did like the Immortal Kid, at the end.  There's a downside right there: immortality is cool, but I don't think I would want to be stuck as a child for the rest of my life.

So.... Michael is just a creep, huh?  Only having sex with your daughters, and then when they have daughters, wait till their twenty, and keep at it.  Yeah, you crazy, Michael.  Makes totally sense why Amy is trying to overthrow him.  Looks like she's got Landry on her side: I'm assuming they are the ones who set-up Anne with the honey.

Sarah is hilariously pissed at Kyle for the whole "secret agent" thing, despite all the other crap that's been going on.  The big outbreak Amy caused at least let Alan free, and he's hilariously not telling anyone that Peter is still in a hole (a rate-infested hole now, thanks to Michael!), because he's a horrible brother.  But, now it looks like he's just been drugged like the kids were, took out Kyle off screen (knocked out or killed?), and going for Sarah.

• Love 1

Ilaria has developed Narvik C in order to wipe out 75% of the world's population in 50-100 days -- that's a lot of corpses.  So what happened to the Narvik A outbreak at the end of last season, has that been contained world-wide ?  I wonder if they have taken into consideration all the deaths caused by the collapse of civilization after the big die out, because that will probably cut the remaining number of survivors in half.

Julia is banging Balleseros, but calling out Alan's name.   That was some quality sexytime. 

I'm still trying to figure out how Julia ended up on the Ilaria board in the first place.

When did Agnes pose for that picture on the wall ?  And did no one else check her body and discover that her neck was broken ?

Agnes was Michael's daughter.  Ann is Agnes' daughter and also Michael's daughter.  Big surprise, another cult with a messed up family tree.  So does that make Amy Michael's daughter, granddaughter and great-granddaughter ? And Amy, Ann and Agnes are all sisters ?  Yikes !! How long has that been going on if Michael is 500+ years old ?

Rats. Michael rains rats down on Peter in the pit.  All Peter has to do is kill that rats, so what's the big deal ? That CGI rat after Peter fell back down was hilariously cheesy.

Surprisingly, Amy doesn't want to bear her father's child, so Amy and Landry come up with a plan to infect the rest of the cult with the virus-laden honey and cause an outbreak.  For once the episode description got something right, because an outbreak happens quickly.

Ann: "What you call suffering, we see as a difficult but necessary path."
Dr. Sommer: "Look Lady, I don't give a blue damn what kind of kale smoothies you been drinking, but ina few hours these people are going to be pulling out of their restraints and no amount of being is going to keep them from ripping out your throat."

Olivia is building her own little rebellion against the CDC to free their brothers and sisters -- I'm sure that will all work out well when they become violent again.

Mlle Durant is a pre-teen girl, yet is probably hundreds of years old. i know she was supposed to be French, but he speaking style was just weird.  And the first clue she gives Julia is about the St. Germain cult.  So why did it take Julia 30 years to go there ?

You know Michael planted that honey in Ann's cloak in order to expose Amy because Landry blabbed everything to Michael.  I guess blowies and handies just aren't as convincing as they used to be.

Landry dopes Alan and instructs him to strangle Sarah just like those kids were instructed to beat Dr. Sommer with rocks.

So what happened to the Narvik A outbreak at the end of last season, has that been contained world-wide ?
I thought that outbreak was contained to Puerto Rico.  

Agnes was Michael's daughter.  Ann is Agnes' daughter and also Michael's daughter.  Big surprise, another cult with a messed up family tree.  So does that make Amy Michael's daughter, granddaughter and great-granddaughter ? And Amy, Ann and Agnes are all sisters ?  Yikes !! How long has that been going on if Michael is 500+ years old ?
They showed several pictures on the office walls of Agnes' ancenstors - her mother, grand-mother, and so on.  So yes, this has been going on a long time.  And as Amy indicated it was to make the "mortal" part of each offspring a smaller and smaller proportion of their total DNA.  Michael was trying to create more immortals the "old fashioned way" and hence the need for daughters.  Makes me wonder what happened to any sons that may have been conceived.  Also makes me wonder how long he's been "rogue" and isolated not just from the rest of humanity but also from the other immortals.
  • Love 1

So Ilaria is full of angry immortals who want to wipe out humanity because of pollution and witch trials? They are rich and immortal! Why do they even care?

I can't figure out Julia's end game or why she hooked up with Ilaria to begin with.

Love the immortal girl! I kind of like Amy too. She's nuts, but given her upbringing, who can blame her?

I feel like our guys are way too trusting, even with all their distrust. I wouldn't walk around that creepy Abbey alone ever.

• Love 1

Loved this episode. Can't believe Peter is down in that hole and no one's missing him. Lol. But I guess everyone has a lot on their mind especially now with the outbreak in the abbey.

And they had time to squeeze in some sexy time in this ep as well. Never been a fan of Balleseros, he is hot though, I'd take Alan any day over him. Well maybe not the Alan in the last seconds of the episode :/

Okay that settles it, Michael is completely off his rockers. No wonder his spawn is as crazy. I can't wait for Amy to bite the dust.

That immortal kid was awesome! I hope we get to see her again.

I did really love this episode but I'm still missing that black goo & the vectors from last season. I mean those vectors were scary as hell. These angry-rashy-weirdos(?) you can actually be around. It's almost like seeing road rage in full swing and sadly enough that's not so scary... But I'm still enjoying this season, keep it up Helix!

I wonder whether the 75% die-off figure given was just from Narvik C or was inclusive of deaths from the secondary effects of societal collapse. I know they talked about making provision for nuclear power-plants but they are going to have to do a lot more than that if they are as concerned for the environment as they say they are. There are tanks and pipelines galore that need upkeep or all sorts of noxious substances will escape into the environment. Watch Life After People.

I think it would be more sensible if they had a way to depopulate the planet more gradually, like over 50-100 years. Perhaps something that caused widespread infertility. There would be more pressure to develop higher levels of automation to make up for the shortfall of workers and the economy would contract but stay largely intact with the contraction of the population level rather than collapse outright. These immortals need to learn patience.

If I were an Evil Overlord...

• Love 3
When did Agnes pose for that picture on the wall ?  And did no one else check her body and discover that her neck was broken ?

I'm not surprised no one checked because no one would question what Michael said. I did wonder, though, how come Agnes was the only old lady on the wall and how come she didn't get a picture when she was younger. That's what I would want if my photo was meant to go on some wall to be remembered forever.

I think it would be more sensible if they had a way to depopulate the planet more gradually, like over 50-100 years. Perhaps something that caused widespread infertility. There would be more pressure to develop higher levels of automation to make up for the shortfall of workers and the economy would contract but stay largely intact with the contraction of the population level rather than collapse outright. These immortals need to learn patience.

I think Julia mentioned, or tried to mention, some plan of hers that would work in like 200 years and they didn't want it.

Killing 75% of the world is not only cruel but super stupid. The first think I thought about was how could people deal with all the bodies? Just a mess, mess, mess. They are not that smart, those immortal people.

Other thoughts

*Alan and Julia's scene was one of the most un-sexy I have seen. Alan is just not sexy and just killed it.

*Peter can stay in the pit.

*I feel like the season is losing steam. The only thing I'm curious about right now is what Michael will do about immortal!pregnant!Sarah now. I wonder if he can figure out a way to bring that baby to term.

Last week, when it was revealed that Agnes was Michael's daughter, I immediately knew that he was having sex with his daughters to get more daughters... ICK. Of course that would be happening on this show. Due to that, I decided that I really like Amy-- no wonder she wants to jump Dr. Texas's bones and get the hell off the island. She might be a bit crazy, but given that she would basically be forced to raise her father's baby, yeah, I can't blame her. 

My sneaking suspicion about Caleb is that he is actually Alan and Sarah's son if she ever manages to give birth-- which, since it looks like Michael gets his hands on her in next week's episode, might just happen.

Apparently no one cares about Peter. I find it funny that he's been gone for over 24 hrs and yet... no one cares enough to actually try to look for him. The outbreak helped divert some attention, but seriously, neither Sarah or Dr. Sommer care enough to try and find him. I guess I had to pick a Farragut brother, I'd probably pick Alan too.

Ok... so Illaria is trying to kill 75% of the human race so that they have more control over the world by using a Narvik virus, but Michael is working on the same thing (sort of) by using selective breeding on St. Germain. Basically, immortals suck. And their planning is pretty terrible, as others have pointed out. 

• Love 1