Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Isn't That a Paradox?

When the Blink Drive self activates during a diagnostic, the Raza and its crew are transported through space and time.

Slightly more spoilery description from syfy.com

Spoiler

The Raza crew faces their most dangerous situation yet: traveling back to 2017.

• Love 2

I laughed watching the promo when Three

Spoiler

asked if they even had toilets back then. Because, given their timeline, we really aren't that removed from when the vast majority didn't.

This episode looks like it will be fun.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/24/2017 at 1:04 PM, xaxat said:

I laughed watching the promo when Three

Reveal hidden contents

asked if they even had toilets back then. Because, given their timeline, we really aren't that removed from when the vast majority didn't.

This episode looks like it will be fun.

Oh, it will be!

Sneak peek at Episode 309.

Spoiler Warning!  Insofar as it IS an unaired scene from Friday's episode...

Edited by Joseph Mallozzi
  • Love 4
(edited)

What a great episode.  I liked everything about it, and I'm not usually a fan of the "traveling back in time to 2017 earth (or whatever historical era)."  I liked the humor, which wasn't too overdone, and the fact that the professor actually helped them.  It was so nice not to see Four, or any of the corporation stuff.  My 2 favorite parts:  Two with the dog, Two playing the video game at the end.  I hope the cast enjoyed doing this episode as much as I liked watching it.  Another fave:  Three taking the whole bowl of dip (or whatever snack it was)  for himself and walking around with it.

Edited by mjc570
to express myself better
  • Love 17

^ I have pretty much the exact same opinion and favorite moments.  :)  I'll also add that I often find kid characters in this kind of plot to be... problematic, but I did not this time.  They were kid like, but not amped up caricatures, or too precocious or annoying at all.  I also liked the "Ew! That's my cousin!"

• Love 9

In addition to the already mentioned scenes, Roger Cross struggling to ride a kid's bike made me laugh hard.

And for such a fun episode, I really felt bad for the scientist.

19 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

Two with the dog

I think there might have been some nepotism going on there.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

^ I have pretty much the exact same opinion and favorite moments.  :)  I'll also add that I often find kid characters in this kind of plot to be... problematic, but I did not this time.  They were kid like, but not amped up caricatures, or too precocious or annoying at all.  I also liked the "Ew! That's my cousin!"

I thought it was a riff on Stranger Things intended to make it a little more grounded. In Stranger Things, both the adults and kids are investigating things on parallel paths without either group having a clue what the other group was doing. Here the kids are late coming home, parents check their cell phones, the authorities are called, and the federal government is on the way to investigate.

I love six being shocked that football was as popular as quidditch.

• Love 9

That was tremendous fun! The actors looked like they were having a blast.

I loved pretty much everything about this episode, but the things that stood out were:

-Six's Terra Prime outfit (so adorable)

-Android getting fully into living on Earth

-The scene with Two and Three sitting on the bench. I can't remember the last time we saw them have an intimate chat like that.

In addition to the already mentioned scenes, Roger Cross struggling to ride a kid's bike made me laugh hard.

That was hilarious. I could watch the gif of that all day.

Next episodes looks good but intense.

• Love 6

I so want a gif of Two/Melissa O'Neil's face when she was messing around with that dog. It was just great seeing Two all giddy and happy.  And then Three all "No, we can't take a dog home with us!" about it.  Those two were in fine form this episode.  I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed this relationship and their interactions.

The team having to live on "present" Earth was great, and I enjoyed all the goofy, hilarious moments, like Android getting acquired with all the references and entertainment (that dancing!), Three just taking an entire salsa bowl at the party, Five owning modern video games, Six on a bike, and so forth.  And all of their "Terra Prime" outfits and identities were great, although I give the gold star to Six, because Roger Cross looked surprisingly good in those glasses.

The kids with the bikes were definitely giving off some Stranger Things vibes, but they were integrated pretty well.  I liked that the main kid didn't exactly go on to effect Team Raza himself, but it was him telling stories to his granddaughter that caused her to go into the field, and end up effecting them.  Granted, as with most time-travel stuff, I still can't make heads or tails over how this all works out, but Six kind of said it all at the beginning, when he said something along the lines of "Who care if it makes sense, as long as it works?"  Kind of agree with him on that when it comes to time-travel.

A few seeds for future problems though as Three/Sarah seem to be having a bit of a rough going and it looks like Ryo might have found some allies in the form of Neeman, Portia, and Marcus!

Great episode!

• Love 10
45 minutes ago, Gillian Rosh said:

That was tremendous fun! The actors looked like they were having a blast.

I loved pretty much everything about this episode, but the things that stood out were:

-Six's Terra Prime outfit (so adorable)

-Android getting fully into living on Earth

-The scene with Two and Three sitting on the bench. I can't remember the last time we saw them have an intimate chat like that.

That was hilarious. I could watch the gif of that all day.

Next episodes looks good but intense.

I referred to this episode as Back to the Future meets Stranger Things.  Next episode is "our feeliest episode yet!".

• Love 9
(edited)
9 hours ago, mjc570 said:

What a great episode.  I liked everything about it, and I'm not usually a fan of the "traveling back in time to 2017 earth (or whatever historical era)."  I liked the humor, which wasn't too overdone, and the fact that the professor actually helped them.  It was so nice not to see Four, or any of the corporation stuff.  My 2 favorite parts:  Two with the dog, Two playing the video game at the end.  I hope the cast enjoyed doing this episode as much as I liked watching it.  Another fave:  Three taking the whole bowl of dip (or whatever snack it was)  for himself and walking around with it.

I loved Android's obsession with all things Internet and shopping -- "I got double reward points".

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I thought it was a riff on Stranger Things intended to make it a little more grounded. In Stranger Things, both the adults and kids are investigating things on parallel paths without either group having a clue what the other group was doing. Here the kids are late coming home, parents check their cell phones, the authorities are called, and the federal government is on the way to investigate.

I love six being shocked that football was as popular as quidditch.

I saw the Curious Kids on Bikes as nod to both ET and Stranger Things (which is itself a nod to ET). I liked it. 

I misheard the Android about the location of the Marauder - I thought she said 6 miles, and thought "damn, those kids are great bikers - that's 12 miles back and forth." But then Six (or Three?) said six kilometers, which made it 3-ish miles one way. Still good biking, but a bit less impressive. Though Android's driving skills need to be improved - doesn't look like she checked out the rear view mirror at any point.

It was nice that the guy helped  - but he sure seemed to be waiting around for Chekov's wrist device to go off. I felt kind of tense when they stood around to talk how they had/hadn't changed history instead of taking it offline immediately.

• Love 3
(edited)

That was awesome! I wanted this to be a special two-hour episode. Our intrepid crew couldn't even manage to blend in for five minutes before being sussed out. Ha. Something weird about them, indeed.

Did I miss where they got money, or where they just using credit cards?

Two looked very pretty in her Terra Prime look/hairstyle. Melissa did a great job making that character different from Two -- as Three told her, she looked happy. Made me sniff a little! (And next week alt Portia is back, so more acting fun.)

Now I really want the crew to visit a city that has the maglev boots, or whatever. They always go to dank mining colonies and shit.

I kept wondering how I'd manage back in 1417 -- the toilet sitch for real, and I'd be afraid to eat or drink anything. Plus the Black Death. At least Two got to wear a cute wool duffle coat.

The After Dark show mentioned that the dog Melissa was loving up is hers. So adorable.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 7/29/2017 at 6:05 AM, Gillian Rosh said:

That might have been my favorite line from this episode. Android is a gem!

I think Three played it up later telling Two that she really doesn't command any of us, even the Android.  However when they all woke up after the Blink recall Two went to commander mode checking off every member of her crew to be sure that they were okay.

On 7/29/2017 at 7:07 AM, 2727 said:

Did I miss where they got money, or where they just using credit cards?

The Android hacked us, our ancient computer security measures being no match for her and built false IDs and digitally stole the money. Why Six's ID wasn't real and the Sheriff picked up on it, I guess she printed it herself not having time to get lost ID's reissued.

Edited by Raja
confused 5 and 6 can't blame a typo can I
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Raja said:

Why Five's ID wasn't real and the Sheriff picked up on it, I guess she printed it herself not having time to get lost ID's reissued.

Wasn't it Six's ID that apparently wasn't real (enough)? He was the one that the Sheriff was questioning. 

I didn't get what the professor's wrist device was supposed to do.

• Love 2

I enjoyed this episode a lot. There were some lovely character interactions particularly Two and Five playing video games and Two playing with the dog. Seeing Five  and Two just having fun really made me think that the factor that makes the Raza crew into a family rather than just crew mates with a shared life altering experience is Five. If the alt universe Raza crew lost their memories like our Raza crew did I think they would have turned on each other pretty quickly. 

I do wish they could have stayed in the past a bit longer. I would have liked to see Five go to school, the others in regular jobs and them having family outings. That's probably not very exciting but I just want them to have a break from all the chaos. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Paloma said:

I didn't get what the professor's wrist device was supposed to do.

My guess is that it is somehow related to the blink device - Five had it on when she disappeared and went back in time. Kind of like Captain Jack's wrist time travel device. 

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

but I just want them to have a break from all the chaos

This made me realize these folks don't get any down time, ever.

"An uber what?" Lol.

Two was very subtle with the B& E...three couldn't even re-close the door!

The director & photographer spent careful time framing all the headshots in the episode. A great low tech episode! No sci fi sets, just ol oith.

Cheez, the Marauder has no camouflage? Just VTOL on a clear spot in the woods? Not even next to the blue police box?

Edited by Eulipian 5k
Acronym repair
  • Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

I enjoyed this episode a lot. There were some lovely character interactions particularly Two and Five playing video games and Two playing with the dog. Seeing Five  and Two just having fun really made me think that the factor that makes the Raza crew into a family rather than just crew mates with a shared life altering experience is Five. If the alt universe Raza crew lost their memories like our Raza crew did I think they would have turned on each other pretty quickly.

I don't remember which crew member said it, but in an earlier season someone acknowledged that having Five to care for made all the difference in how their lives diverged from their pre-mindwipe selves. I wish I remembered, because it almost brought tears to my eyes.

I'd say she serves the same purpose as the similar genius hacker girl Claudia did in Warehouse 13, except I hated snarky, smug uber-cool Claudia and like Five very much. The character is just as trope-y, but she's much easier to relate to: smart, loyal, sometimes scared spitless but nevertheless brave, dedicated to her new family, wanting to do the right thing, all 100% committed. A total force for good. 

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

I do wish they could have stayed in the past a bit longer. I would have liked to see Five go to school, the others in regular jobs and them having family outings. That's probably not very exciting but I just want them to have a break from all the chaos. 

I kinda would have liked them to stay for a few episodes (so their cover would last a bit longer), but it isn't that kind of show I suppose. IIRC, Joe wrote on his blog that he originally had another story planned for 3x09 which had to be postponed for production reasons (correct me if I'm wrong!). 

What we got was very nice anyway. Loved the little touches, like the little moments of 2 and 3, or 3 attempting to take some of 5s sweets. Also nice to have an episode without a villain.

They really should just destroy the blink drive before Ryo or someone else gets their hands on it.

• Love 5

I've always liked the show but it's even better this season, right? I'm not just imagining that?

I rewatched the previous seasons to refresh my memory before 3 started -- it was hugely entertaining to binge and drew me in even more. I was filling out a survey recently that asked for my favorite current TV show and I hadda say DM.

Next episode looks to be fab as well -- Android centric!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I am surprised they didn't make a bigger deal about how good the food was, I thought all they ate was synthetic crap.

I know, I would have loaded the Marauder up with fresh fruit and veg and baking supplies for the Android. I would have enjoyed seeing them navigate a supermarket. I imagine their diet is mainly synthetic stuff but they are able to get some fresher things when they stop at space stations or planets. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, snowwhyte said:

I know, I would have loaded the Marauder up with fresh fruit and veg and baking supplies for the Android. I would have enjoyed seeing them navigate a supermarket. I imagine their diet is mainly synthetic stuff but they are able to get some fresher things when they stop at space stations or planets. 

In the last few episodes the Android was shown cooking for the crew, with what I assume are fresh ingredients. It was even remarked upon the crew has it good on the Raza (talking about the food situation). It's a far cry from the occasionally semi-desperate supply situation in season 1. 

I suppose that the Android took supplies with her when she went up to the Raza the first time. Supplies running low was one of the reasons they went to Earth in the first place.

• Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I am surprised they didn't make a bigger deal about how good the food was, I thought all they ate was synthetic crap.

Of course many think our super markets are full of the produce breed for machine picking is synthetic crap now. With the Canadian wilds being shown for the many colonies when the crew does make a planet fall there just might be a high end market for fresh foods in the Dark Matter universe.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 3
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Raja said:

Of course many think our super markets are full of the produce breed for machine picking is synthetic crap now. With the Canadian wilds being shown for the many colonies when the crew does make a planet fall there just might be a high end market for fresh foods in the Dark Matter universe.

I was just watching the pilot of 11.22.63, where as Jake prepares to go back to 1960 (from present day), he's told "you won't believe how good the food tastes" and then they show him enjoying it. Tomatoes would be on my list of things that taste nowhere near as good as they did when I was a kid in the 60's.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd have the same opinion going back to 1417.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Not since the Android started her house-keeping career, they get fresh produce at every stop - remember 'basil and love'!

This was so much fun! And some surprisingly touching moments. Who would have thought back in season one that there will be a time when Three will deliver a wonderful heartfelt pep-talk to Two without any ulterior motives. I'm not quite sure Five really needed to change her outfit but 'And you're a disaffected youth committed to sulking and avoiding all social discourse' was great. Also great: the whole story about Mario and his spicy wings. I particularly liked how it was brought up for a second time with the detail that Maeve should not have touched her eye (which is true, don't do that after having touched something spicy). And Two and Three's faces were priceless!

Oh, and Android spoiling the final episode of Infamy LOL!

And the usual fashion rundown: Two's duffle coat was great, Android's purple coat was exquisite as was the rest of her outfit (and shoutout to Five/show continuity: I like the new hairdo). Five got some super cute PJs - did she bring them as a souvenir from the past?

PS: Jake Connor - I see what you did there show.

• Love 7
(edited)

That was super fun! I was rather apprehensive going in, because those "future characters come to the present and have to interact with modern stuff" plots can be rather hit and miss, but this was really well done, which a great mix of comedy and heart. I especially liked how we got to see the gang actually got to take a freaking break for the first time in ages. Throughout the show they've been going from one thing to another, and are now in the middle of some intergalactic cooperate war, so it was nice to see them hang out at a party, play some video games, and just chill out.

The Android in modern day was just great, I loved how into it she kept getting. But, cone on Android, you researched modern life, you have to know that spoilers are a HUGE no go! Keep track of those airing dates! "I got double reward points!" Plus, that dancing. Just...that dancing. Lots of fun scenes throughout, like Six attempting to ride a kids, bike, Six giving Three a big cheesy smile at the party while Three is walking around with the bowl of salsa, Five kicking ass at video games (than playing with Two at the end), there were lots of fun scenes, and you could tell the actors were having fun.

I thought the little pep talk Three gave Two after she pet the puppy was super sweet, and it makes me so happy to see how far they've come in their friendship. Like, I don't ship them as anything other than friends, but I so bought them as a pretend married couple in this episode. WAY more than when they were actually sleeping together in season 1.

The kids definitely had a Stranger Things with Smartphones vibe going on, and I thought it worked. I do think the main kids parents should talk to their son about going through peoples things. Even if he thinks his neighbors might be spies. Of course he totally gets on their side when he plays video games with Five! "I think I love you!"

Last week I was thinking that Sarah might be on the up and up, but now I'm not so sure. Her anger about Three possibly leaving her, and her frustration about being stuck in her little garden room in cyberspace are legit, but the way she was talking makes me concerned. It sounded like it could lead to a "if you love me, you'll do anything to be with me, so take this poison so we can be together" kind of scenario. I don't think Three would go for it, but she might try to take the choice out of his control, especially if she's going a bit crazy.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

Agree with everyone that this was fun and very well done. The one detail that threw me off was Six's suit--I thought they were supposed to be in Wisconsin our time (or possibly a decade or so earlier given Two's duffle coat), but the suit didn't look anything like a normal business suit. If they were trying to blend in, couldn't they have found something more normal?

This episode also reminded me of Farscape when the crew went back in time to Earth for a while. I think they were there for a few episodes, and I would have loved to see the DM crew on Earth for at least a couple of episodes.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Paloma said:

Agree with everyone that this was fun and very well done. The one detail that threw me off was Six's suit--I thought they were supposed to be in Wisconsin our time (or possibly a decade or so earlier given Two's duffle coat), but the suit didn't look anything like a normal business suit. If they were trying to blend in, couldn't they have found something more normal?

This episode also reminded me of Farscape when the crew went back in time to Earth for a while. I think they were there for a few episodes, and I would have loved to see the DM crew on Earth for at least a couple of episodes.

The suit made me think that they simply grabbed what they could find - as Three's and Five's outfits weren't all that different than their normal look. But that doesn't explain the Android or Two's soft blue top. Still,l though Six's suit jacket was close enough for "outsiders" - they could handwave it off to what's happening in the big city.

• Love 2
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

But that doesn't explain the Android or Two's soft blue top. Still,l though Six's suit jacket was close enough for "outsiders" - they could handwave it off to what's happening in the big city.

Android spends a lot more time shopping at the Way, Way, Way Off Fifth Ave Store  when the Raza visits port.

It was funny how everybody's paradox had dire consequences... "it'll kill everybody for a 100 miles!"

Edited by Eulipian 5k
  • Love 2

I too wish we could have seen the crew more in 2017.  I was waiting for someone to suggest Android must be in the autistic spectrum, and that she and Two must be adopted (or one of them).  

May least one of the kids didn't try to hitch a ride on the Maurader.  

Two is probably right to not use the blink drive unless last resort.

• Love 1

This weekend, New Jersey governor Chris Christie attended a baseball game. Christie must have watched this episode because, when confronting a heckler, he, like Three, refused to put down his chips.

screen_shot_20170730_at_10.03.59_pm.png.

• Love 4

This one was lots of fun. My fave moments; Three with his bowl of dip and Android telling them to get two-ply toilet paper unless there was a sale. lol. Loved the conversation on the bench between Two and Three, I just love their friendship. Five looked adorable in her goth girl get-up and Six just looked straight-up hot.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, festivus said:

This one was lots of fun. My fave moments; Three with his bowl of dip and Android telling them to get two-ply toilet paper unless there was a sale. lol. Loved the conversation on the bench between Two and Three, I just love their friendship. Five looked adorable in her goth girl get-up and Six just looked straight-up hot.

Six looks hot regardless, imo, but he did indeed look spiffy. 

• Love 3

Two things kind of put me off (but not enough to spoil the whackadoodle fun):

Modern families are pretty diverse, but that "family" would have raised a few eyebrows in Fort Flood (or whatever) Wisconsin

I kind of hoped it wasn't HITG (Seán Cullen) who was the other time-traveler -- it was too obvious.

On 7/28/2017 at 7:32 PM, aquarian1 said:

I also liked the "Ew! That's my cousin!"

Nice twist on the "She's Right There Beside You" trope.

36 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Two things kind of put me off (but not enough to spoil the whackadoodle fun):

Modern families are pretty diverse, but that "family" would have raised a few eyebrows in Fort Flood (or whatever) Wisconsin

Didn't they say they moved there from somewhere more urban and cosmopolitan? Considering how often marriages end in divorce, Two and Android could be half siblings, step-siblings, or adopted. The longer they stayed there, the more likely they'd get questions. But initially people would be curious, but not too intrusive.

Hilariously, my brother's wife is from the middle of Wisconsin. My brother is Black. His wife is White. One of her sisters married a Mexican man. My brother's wife also has a younger sibling who was adopted from Asia. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Didn't they say they moved there from somewhere more urban and cosmopolitan? Considering how often marriages end in divorce, Two and Android could be half siblings, step-siblings, or adopted. The longer they stayed there, the more likely they'd get questions. But initially people would be curious, but not too intrusive.

Hilariously, my brother's wife is from the middle of Wisconsin. My brother is Black. His wife is White. One of her sisters married a Mexican man. My brother's wife also has a younger sibling who was adopted from Asia 

I  agree upon first meeting the "sister" who seems to be a bit socially awkward and her black husband the first instinct of anyone this century would be to not notice anything, even if they thought that there was something odd, to prove that they  were not full on Nazis 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Raja said:

I  agree upon first meeting the "sister" who seems to be a bit socially awkward and her black husband the first instinct of anyone this century would be to not notice anything, even if they thought that there was something odd, to prove that they  were not full on Nazis 

I don't know -- a lot of people are defending full on Nazis...  but I take your points, @HunterHunted and @Raja.

Just catching up this season with Netflix and had to comment on this one. It was just a lot of fun and had a few laugh out loud moments. As almost everyone has mentioned, I really loved the Android and her obsession with saving money. Loved her taking on the den mother role giving them a shopping list and getting what she asked for unless there was something on special. Loved it, she really is in....dispensable.

And yes, Six should always wear glasses. Two clearly needs a dog.

• Love 1